H.S.C.

glenn
19th April 2006, 08:32
Does any one know the outcome of these ships Hadley,s Sunshine Cruises was a subsidury of Houlders i think was on two of them the Cumbria ( URGH !!) And the Camarina lovely little home from home .What was the name of the others

non descript
19th April 2006, 08:49
The Cumbria, well the 32,000 tdw geared bulker, built in 1971 at Scott Lithgow at Greenock was a lovely ship. I stood by her during the building and stayed on for almost 12 months. A very happy time with a great crew.

Tonga

norsea
19th April 2006, 12:41
Glenn,
The other 2 Hadley "mini ships" were Corato and Calandria.Served as 1/O on Camarina and Corato.Enjoyable and diverse trips-timber from Archangel-spuds from Cyprus and Egypt,also two way trade from Londonderry to and from Canary Is. Steel coils from Antwerp and many more too numerous to mention.One unusual tripwas fish meal from a factory ship in Haugensund to Thorshaven,Faeroe Is.
Kind Regards
Norsea

B.Bass
20th April 2006, 06:00
The other mini was "Cotinga",well known for rolling on a wet blade of grass.Other vessels were "Clymene" and "Cymbeline" the latter being ex France Fenwick "Dalewood".Was Master on all three.

Tommo
24th April 2006, 15:37
Dont forget of cours that paragon of oceanic spleandour The "H" Class Tanker " Cerinthus" . Chatty but Happy .. springs to mind

non descript
21st May 2006, 20:57
Cerinthus was one of the most well used names in the HSC fleet.

Cerinthus (1) – 1930-1932
A tanker built by Hawthorne Leslie for £80,000 – delivered 20-12-1930. Spent November 1934 until March 1935 laid-up on the Tyne. She was in ballast from Oban to Freetown when torpedoed and shelled by U128 and sank at 12.27N – 27.45W. Of her compliment of 38 crew and gunners very sadly 20 were lost.

Cerinthus (2) – 1947-1951
A general cargo ship built by Bethlehem Fairfield at Baltimore (yard number 2240) – launched as Nikola Tesla for the US War Shipping Administration – completed as Samkasa for bareboat charter to the Minisrty of War Transport. 17th April 1947 Purchased for £135,000 by Hadleys, delivered and renamed CERINTHUS 22-05-47 and chartered to Houlder Borthers – operated in their colurs for her entire HSC career. Sold in November 1951 for £580,000 and renamed Phassa, sold again in 1953 to Coluthros and renamed Urana. Sold again in1964 to Wah Kwong and renamed Concord Venture. Arrived for scrapping at Tadotsu 10-01-70

Cerinthus (3) – 1954-1976
The star of the show.... and she has her very own thread, but for the record a Tanker – 2 steam turbines driving a single screw. Built by Harland & Wolff – yard number 1470

Cerinthus (4) – 1978-198
A small cargo ship, built by Appledore Shipbuilders – yard number 120. Delivered 03-03-1978. Sold to Kavadas of Greece in 1986, renamed Telis K and in 1992 sold to Tunisian Sea Transport and re-named Jerba

Cerinthus (5) – 1991-
A Bulk Carrier – built by Varna Shipyard – hull number 081 - launched as General Zawadzki – launched 25-03-1988 – delivered and purchased by Hadleys in 1991 and still trading for HSC

++

non descript
17th April 2007, 23:14
Does any one know the outcome of these ships Hadley,s Sunshine Cruises was a subsidury of Houlders i think was on two of them the Cumbria ( URGH !!) And the Camarina lovely little home from home .What was the name of the others

One minor correction, Hadleys was a not actually a subsidiary of Houlders, although Houlder Brothers did have a 5pct shareholding when the company was formed on 18th December 1926 (to take advantage of the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Company (i.e. Shell) Sale & Charter-Back scheme). The name of the company, The Hadley Shipping Company Ltd., was chosen due to Walter Warwick’s home being at Hadley Wood in Hertfordshire and the office was located within Houlder Brothers office at 53 Leadenhall Street, where they remained for 61 years until in 1987 with the Furness Withy Group moving to Redhill, HSC opted to move to their own offices in Wapping, where they are to this day.

B.Bass
18th April 2007, 05:36
I believe they were also known as Warwick & Esplen.

non descript
18th April 2007, 14:09
I believe they were also known as Warwick & Esplen.

Brian,

When, in December 1926, Mr Lewis Warwick and Mr Graham Esplen (later Sir Graham) formed the plan to create HSC, they arranged soon afterwards to also create a separate private company to act as Agents for all of Hadley’s business, quite reasonably taking an agency fee for the service provided; that company was called Warwick & Esplen Ltd., and it continues today, living in the same office as HSC.

Regards
Mark

B.Bass
19th April 2007, 05:44
Thanks for that Mark,Ialways wondered how sometimes Hadleys ships were listed as belonging to W&E

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 23:19
Glenn,
The other 2 Hadley "mini ships" were Corato and Calandria.Served as 1/O on Camarina and Corato.Enjoyable and diverse trips-timber from Archangel-spuds from Cyprus and Egypt,also two way trade from Londonderry to and from Canary Is. Steel coils from Antwerp and many more too numerous to mention.One unusual tripwas fish meal from a factory ship in Haugensund to Thorshaven,Faeroe Is.
Kind Regards
Norsea
I was 2nd Mate on both the Corato and the Camarina during the early seventies thought they were lovely little ships. The only thorne in the side was a master who was a total embarrisment and could not leave the drink alone he was eventually releaved of his post and left the company. I had the unfortunate pleasure of sailing with him several times, I wold prefer to let you know more on a private e mail

non descript
24th July 2007, 22:46
I have one curious memory of the Corato in that the sounding pipes for Number 1 Double-Bottom and Number 2 Double-Bottom were arranged side by side – i.e. the sounding pipe at the after end of No. 1 was placed beside the sounding pipe for the forward end of No. 2. - Not that interesting, except that the name plates had been (temporarily) switched at some stage and the sounding pipe marked 1 DB was actually connected to 2 DB… Made for some very interesting calculations.

glenn
25th July 2007, 00:51
Can remember my time on the Camarina running down West Africa.Was told we could have short hand money or an extra AB flown out,opted for the cash was down there for months working general.Eventually paid off in Galwayafter taking Spuds there from Rouen .Was the Camerina the only one to have derricks ? because I saw the Cotinga & to my fuddled memory she didnt

non descript
25th July 2007, 08:47
Calandria, Corato and Camarina were all geared ships (with derricks) and effectively sister-ships of 1,477 gross tons built in 1979-70; the Cotinga was built at the same yard (Bodewes Scheepsverf) but in 1976 and was a gearless bulk-carrier of 1,599 gross tons

glenn
25th July 2007, 10:15
Thanks

aj hawker
5th August 2007, 00:33
Tonga you mentioned Cerinthus 1 1930 - was sunk on route to Freetown, was there a story about the survivors, two i think were adrift for a very long time. They were picked up by an RN vessel ? and landed the other side of the Atlantic. One of the survivors on passage back to the UK as DBS went down with the ship.
Regards AJ

non descript
5th August 2007, 09:37
AJ,

I am sorry to say that there is a lot of sadness connected to that story, although the very last part of yours is unknown to me.

In 1942 Cerinthus had been sailing in convoy ON 141 but left that convoy on 2th November and on 9th November found herself alone at 12.27N – 27.45W where she was attacked by U-128 which launched two torpedoes. The first missed and passed astern but the second hit No 5 Port tank. Two lifeboats were launched with half the crew in each, and stood off the Cerinthus but there was little they could do but watch as U-128 fired a third torpedo and scored an other hit. The submarine then surfaced and shelled the ship for over and hour until she sank. The two lifeboats stayed together for over a week, but on 17 November she lost sight of one another in heavy rain. One boat (with Chief Officer Hawkins in charge) was spotted by a Sunderland flying boat which directed HMS Bridgewater to the scene and on 1st December the crew were rescued and landed at Freetown on 6th December.

The sadness arises with the second lifeboat, commanded by Captain Chadwick. This was not sighted until 24th January, after almost 11 weeks adrift and when there was just one man left alive. This survivor was picked up by the American merchant ship Kentuckian who put the man ashore in Port of Spain, Trinidad, on 31st January 1943. – As I said at the start, I have no knowledge that this survivor, whilst on passage back to the UK as DBS went down with the ship, but sadly I fear you could well be right.

Regards
Mark

aj hawker
5th August 2007, 10:41
Mark
Thank you very much for that info,it was a very sad story a long time to be in an open boat. I think i have a photograph of Cerinthus 1 somewhere when i can figure out how to put a thumbnail with the message i will post it.
Best Regards AJ

non descript
5th August 2007, 11:15
The only image I have of Certinthus (I) is from WSPL and I credit them with the copyright - it is not an ideal picture but the best we have so far.

aj hawker
5th August 2007, 11:57
Hope i have done this right Mark there is a first time for every one. Not a bad picture considering the year, i do not know who the copyright belongs to.
Best Regards AJ(==D)

K urgess
5th August 2007, 13:19
That looks very much like the second best tanker in the world.(Thumb)

aj hawker
5th August 2007, 13:57
You could well be right, but she had a very short life.
AJ(Thumb)

non descript
17th April 2008, 17:10
Although certain parties will have opened this expecting to read "Cufflink Found at Faslane" , the story is almost as exciting and it is reproduced here courtesy of Tradewinds Newspaper - dateine 27-03-2008

Hadley Shipping reaping rewards from ship investments

London-based owner Hadley Shipping appears to have enjoyed good timing with its investments in the past few years. The company is now said to have sold its oldest ship, the Imabari-built, 69,000-dwt bulker Cumbria (built 1994) for $60m to a Chinese buyer.
Hadley only paid $13.2m for the vessel in 2002. The same year, it was reported fixed for two years by Oldendorff Carriers at just $20,000 per day and is still listed as in the fleet of the German operator.

Also in 2006, Hadley sold the 64,000-dwt bulker Cortato (built 1989) for $16m. It purchased the ship in 1999 for just $8.5m.

The company could log huge profits if it decided to sell its remaining three ships now. It ordered the 73,000-dwt Cymberline (built 2001) for slightly less than $22m but the vessel is now likely worth some $75m in a charter-free position.

In August 2006, Hadley bought a 74,000-dwt bulker newbuilding from Minerva of Greece for $43m. Now named Clymene, it was delivered from Jiangnan Shipyard in China two months later and is now worth in excess of $90m. Last February, the company bought the 74,000-dwt Golden Gunn (built 2005) from Oslo-listed Golden Ocean Group for $50.2m. That ship, now named Clare, is likely worth some $87m to $89m today.

The charter situation for the remaining trio is unclear but Hadley is known for its taste for period charters.

Hadley was established in 1926 and is among the UK's oldest shipowning companies still in business. It was once a significant tanker player but withdrew from the sector in the mid-1970s (following the loss of a cufflink) (Jester) .

K urgess
17th April 2008, 19:38
I don't suppose you noticed my latest post to the radio room equipment thread in the Radio Room forum, Mark.
It transpires that the world's favourite tanker was my thirteenth vessel.
In some ways this makes the number my lucky one (I was married on the 13th) tempered with the revenge of the gods in claiming an advance payment on the ferry man's dues by forcing me to relinquish a token.
I don't expect to see it again before crossing the Styx.
It could also be true that all this good fortune on the part of HSC shipping investments is due to their possession of this mysterious token.[=P]

non descript
17th April 2008, 21:03
Fubar, I do see your point, but applying just pure statistics, one would be hard pressed to deny that HSC withdrew from the tanker market after the loss of cufflink; clearly we have to consider that the impact of this serious loss on the senior management ….That said, you could well be right and possession of this mysterious token could also be the key to their undiluted success. Take the credit Sir and send them a reminder. (Thumb)

K urgess
17th April 2008, 21:37
They must have taken my loss of the token and their finding of it as a sign to get out of the tanker market.
Having crossed their palm with silver they obviously saw their own (bulk) fortune in the stars. [=P]