need help

jam butty
30th April 2006, 06:14
I am just learning the ropes on a hand me down pentium 2. running ME. For some unkown reason I have lost my colour choices. I used to have a choice of either 16, 254 or 16bit colour but now I have only got 16. I have played around in settings without sucsess and I find windows Help to be a bit of a mine field. Can anyone help?
Jam Butty

mcgurggle
30th April 2006, 08:24
You will probably have to re-install your Graphics Card drivers again.
McG

benjidog
30th April 2006, 19:35
McG gives good advice. Usually when this happens Windows believes that there is a "default" VGA graphics card attached with the most basic functionality. You will probably find that you cannot increase the screen resolution either. This default setting has the advantage that at least the system will work even though in low resolution etc.

You may need to open the machine to check what graphics card is installed if you don't know and download drivers from the internet. You can get most drivers from this site - you need to subscribe but it is free: http://www.driverguide.com/

Regards,

Brian

mcgurggle
30th April 2006, 19:45
You dont even have to subscribe to this site. When it asks, the User Name is "drivers" & the Password is "all" (without the quotes). Have fun ! (Thumb)
McG

david smith
30th April 2006, 20:41
May I suggest you have reset your display. Go to Control Panel - display and settings then choose your card/graphics settings. choose the maximum the computer will allow - if the screen goes blank don't worry, on startup it will resume at the previous settings.
I remember ME, but prefer XP now.

mcgurggle
1st May 2006, 08:59
His post suggests that he has already tried this, so I reckon he has lost his drivers.
McG
BTW I'm looking for a driver who will take me to the pub after tea & drive me home again when I'm p*ssed !! [=P]

Frank P
1st May 2006, 16:15
For driverguide.com the username "Driver" and password "all" do not work anymore, you must register but it is still free.

Frank

jam butty
2nd May 2006, 05:26
Brian, you seem to have a handle on my problem! My stupid machine can only find a standard VGA graphics card in the systems but up to last week everything was rosey. Could this mean the graphics card is stuffed?
John

mcgurggle
2nd May 2006, 06:07
Graphics cards are very cheap now so a new one would be a good investment if the other is stuffed. They are easy to fit & come with all the required drivers. Other option is to identify your card & PM me the make & model number & I'll e-mail you the drivers. (Thumb)
If it still wont work, It IS stuffed (better to check anyway).
There are many reasons why a computer looses its drivers (modem, graphics, sound etc) so try the above.
Good Luck
McG

jam butty
4th May 2006, 03:16
Thanks for all your help I am now @ full sea speed
Jam butty

mcgurggle
4th May 2006, 06:34
Glad its all working again. (Thumb)
McG