Greeting from the South Pacific

Awatea
31st August 2004, 20:10
What a wonderful site. just what I've been looking for. You will notice I go under the name of "Awatea" Simply my favorite ship. Awatea means "Eye of the Dawn" and operated on the Trans Tasman between NZ & Australia from 1936 until 1940. She was sunk of Tunis in 1942. Quite simply one of the most beautiful liners ever built with a GRT of 13,000 and twin raked funnels.
I often wish I had been alive when she was in service! I live here in Auckland and have collected maritime bits & pieces for about 40 years. I hope to add useful posts about what is happening in this part of the world. Over the last few seasons cruising has become very popular in NZ and I try to photgraph most ships against the beautiful harbour we have so will post them when I can. This coming season will see the Sapphire Princess become the largest to call.
I have a large collection of reference material so can generally answer most queries on passenger ships that do, or have, operated in this area.
I look forward to spending some relaxing hours exploring this site.
Cheers for now

dom
25th February 2006, 10:37
just came across your site i have in my cupboard 2 1st class cups and saucers from the awatea given to me when i left kiwi,from its maiden voyage

Chief Engineer's Daughter
25th February 2006, 10:48
Welcome aboard from Shetland! You will find that this site is very addictive.

Skol
CED (K)

exsailor
25th February 2006, 10:56
Welcome aboard Awatea, from the mainland (Dunedin). Spending time on this site is not hard to do - it can be addictive. Great crew and so much of interest.
Have one or two bits of nautical memorabilia, including an anchor from a sailing ship, salvaged from off Taiaroa Heads, sitting in my driveway.

tanker
25th February 2006, 11:02
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

jim barnes
25th February 2006, 11:09
AWATEA Welcome,, loking forward to your pics... welcome from the insane segment.........LOL (Hippy)

R58484956
25th February 2006, 11:16
Welcome Awatea to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

tom nicholson
25th February 2006, 15:09
you will be hooked on this site enjoy it.
cheers tom (*))

J Boyde
26th February 2006, 08:07
Greetings Awatea, I met two engineers who were on the ship when she was bombed, they thought she was a great ship. From memory, there was still some USS Awatea stored when I joined the company, in th 60s
Jim B (Thumb)