USS The Sullivans

Bob S
2nd September 2004, 11:34
The preserved “Fletcher” class destroyer THE SULLIVANS (DD537) seen at the “Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park” in Buffalo, NY on the 28th April 2002 were she is a permanent exhibit.

www.buffalonavalpark.org for more info.

Fairfield
3rd September 2004, 20:54
The preserved “Fletcher” class destroyer THE SULLIVANS (DD537) seen at the “Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park” in Buffalo, NY on the 28th April 2002 were she is a permanent exhibit.

www.buffalonavalpark.org for more info.

Used to have a plastic model kit of that !!

Abbeywood.
1st September 2009, 15:52
When built she was to have been named 'Putnam' but was renamed for the five brothers who were lost in the sinking of the light-cruiser 'Juneau', CL-52,
in the Naval battle for Guadalcanal, 13 November 1942.
The five brothers, George, Francis, Joseph, Madison, and Albert, were all aged between 19 and 27 years.

TonyAllen
1st September 2009, 17:23
I remember as a young lad watching the film of the brothers, exciting but a sad ending Tony Allen

Steve Woodward
1st September 2009, 22:20
Used to have a plastic model kit of that !!

Trumpeter now make one 1/350 scale, nice little kit
Steve

melliget
10th September 2009, 07:00
Thanks for the pics, Bob. A very distinctive name and fitting tribute to the enormous sacrifice by one family. Nice to see a destroyer being kept above the waterline for a change!

sailingday
11th September 2009, 15:17
I too remember seeing the film, but have never seen it since either at the cinema or on TV, excellent

WilliamH
11th September 2009, 16:28
In the Film, did the five brothers in their younger days become trapped in a water tank that was used to supply water to locomotives. I seem to recall they were swimming in the elevated tank when a locomotive came along and filled up with water, thus lowering the level and the brothers could not then reach the top edge of the tank. I think the film was called The Sulivans.

TonyAllen
12th September 2009, 10:49
Yes thats the one and it was repeated on tv a couple of years ago on one of those channels that showed old movies sadly I did not tape it Regards Tony