BP in the Falklands conflict.

rushie
5th May 2006, 21:35
Hi,

In the search for further info, tales, stories, experiences, recollections, memories, anecdotes etc (see thread - Major project, I need your help), are there any ex / current BP seafarers who got involved with the Falklands War.?

If so, I'd love to hear anything you can tell me about what it was like etc (Scribe) .

Please feel free to send private e-mails if you prefer.

Many thanks,

Rushie. (Scribe)

offcumdum sanddancer
31st August 2006, 12:26
Hello,

Just joined this site, but I may have some information for you. I was second engineer on board British Wye at the time and was given a small booklet afterwards by BP. I also took some photos

Never writen about it yet, and as far as I know , nobody else has who was involved, from a BP ship.

Keith Perriman

paul0510
31st August 2006, 13:16
...hi, Keith! Nice to see you around again after all these years!! I think we were together on the Destiny or Valour around '69 or '71? I was 3/M-2/M.

R58484956
31st August 2006, 13:20
Welcome Keith to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, plenty of ex BP people on this site.

offcumdum sanddancer
31st August 2006, 13:21
Hello Paul,

Yes, it would have been the Destiny when I was 4th engineer. Have some photos if you are interested. Don't know if I have any of you though

Keith

fred henderson
31st August 2006, 13:58
A warm welcome Kieth. I hope you enjoy the site and will join in the debates. Your photographs will be greatly valued.

Fred (Thumb)

offcumdum sanddancer
1st September 2006, 13:50
I have uploaded some photos to the gallery. These are only some of those I took that trip. For me it started in Singapore, then via Hong Kong (sea valve repairs, steel blank, see Br Dragoon) to Shanghai to load full cargo of leaded gasoline. Sailing great circle route we went through the biggest seas I have ever seen, wave crests at same level with bridge both port and stbd. Discharge in San Francisco, and in ballast to Panama canal. After transit from Balboa we anchored in Cristobal bay from where we were STUFT! Sailed across the Atlantic at full speed (economic slow steaming before then) to Portsmouth. The RAS gear was fitted there which came as a suprise to us all that drawings and gear were in storage since the ships were built (River class). From there we sailed to Devonport where we loaded 4 grades of oil, and deck cargo of lub oil drums. A superintendant from BP came down there to confirm that we were all volunteers. As we all were it was not pleasant for him to then tell us that redundancies were in the offing! As soon as loading was completed we sailed alone to Ascension, and then South to Battle. These are only the bare bones, I could expand somewhat if anyone wants?

John_F
2nd September 2006, 15:22
As soon as loading was completed we sailed alone to Ascension, and then South to Battle. These are only the bare bones, I could expand somewhat if anyone wants?Yes please Offcumdum. I for one would be very interested.
Regards,
John F

James_C
9th September 2006, 18:46
Keith,
Do you remember a Scottish engineer (think he was 3rd or 4th) on the Wye at the time of the Falklands by the name of Haxton?
Now Chief on the St Helena and resident in Penzance.

offcumdum sanddancer
16th September 2006, 17:27
Jim,

Yes, RR Haxton (Roger?) was third on the Wye at the time.

Crew list that trip was

Master DM Rundle
Mate AG Bagley
2Mate PP Akers
3Mate JJ Moloney
RO DW Cooper
CE K Gray
2E KG Perriman
3E RR Haxton
4E DP Rowland
JE RC Dunne
JE AC Lang
Elec A Waugh
Cat O R Morrison
C Cook JB Smith
2Cook RP Stewart
2S GW Rooney
AS D Hayes
AS SE Hill
AS S Proud
CPO AM Smith
PO MR Wenn
S1 T Butler
S1 JA Eccles
S1 GM Lochery
S2 CD Bannister
S2 AP Dowdeswell
S2 TJ Stridiron
S3 BF Blaney
S3 SC Gilfillan
S3 TG Goddard
S3 ME Lappin

Keith

trapper
17th June 2007, 20:33
Hi Rushie,

Ive just joined the site and thought i would send you a reply.

I sailed with the second task force in 82 I was on the BP ship British Tamar carrying helicopter fuel.We rassed the Rfa ship Pearleaf and the HMS Intrepid.
We were anchored off the Acensions with the ss Uganda and others.

tell more at later date

Dave

offcumdum sanddancer
20th September 2007, 17:52
I have a 30 page A4 booklet given to all South Atlantic participants, the front cover of which I attach. I will scan it all and post it if I anyone interested? Also what place best to post, and what best size?. Front cover only is colour. (Will also get back to war memoirs when writers block has eased.) Have updated my profile also.

Vital Sparks
20th September 2007, 18:22
When I joined the Wye in 84ish I noticed that the SatNav was not the Magnavox original I had helped install a couple of years previously. Permanent staff told me that prior to the Falklands convoy sailing, vessel went to Devonport for installation of RAS gear and while there the SatNav was comandeered by the RN, for use on a warship which didn't have one. Did any other stuff get similarly "borrowed".

offcumdum sanddancer
20th September 2007, 18:31
Not as far as I remember, as very few RN and RFA had sat nav, I seem to remember. Grey Funnel line at that time had more sat com as communications were more important to them, and 'Navigation' has always been more important to MN. Ships used to sidle up to us in TRALA to have a chat, and casually drop into the conversation that 'could they check their position' with us. Did not leave the Wye until May 1984 though, so may have sailed with you.

Frank P
20th September 2007, 21:02
Keith,

In your crew list there is a catagory S1, S2 and S3 I presume that the S means Seaman, but what are the numbers?

Cheers Frank

offcumdum sanddancer
20th September 2007, 21:11
Frank,

Yes, seaman 1, 2 and 3, even though it was GP crew and worked wherever the Mate and myself agreed. This had an equivalent to the old edh, etc, but I am not the one to tell you that, try a mate.

offcumdum sanddancer
20th September 2007, 21:21
As no advice available as yet, I will post the first 3 pages as attachments to this message, and see how it goes. Please give feedback if any changes are required. Page 2 has only an explanation of the front cover. As there is no copyright statement anywhere in the book, I take it as in the public domain.

Keith

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 12:47
page 5,6 and 7

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 12:49
page 8, 9 and 10

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 13:13
I will try more per post. Ah Ha, max five files

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 15:04
Pages 16 to 20

rest follow

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 15:07
pages 21 to 25

offcumdum sanddancer
21st September 2007, 15:09
pages 26 and 27

Thats it folks

Keith

paul0510
23rd September 2007, 21:52
..not quite clear to me, Keith, why Dave Rundle of the Wye received the OBE, or was that for something else?

offcumdum sanddancer
24th September 2007, 17:42
Paul,

I think that if someone had to get the OBE it was to a Master who after we went through an extremely frightening experience, led his ship competently and coolly on with our not very regular job of suplying to the RFA in war conditions. He was also one of the nicest people I have had the privilege of sailing with. To give you some idea of conditions after the attack, the engine room log book was not filled in for 24 hours after as we had more pressing things to do, and no-one had noticed. And you all know that is something that IS NOT DONE.
As I think that possibly someone had to get some sort of recognition over and above the campaign medal, they gave it to him. He did say himself that it was really for everyones efforts, not just his.

Keith

barnsey
27th September 2007, 13:26
Keith thank you very much indeed for that huge scanning task and so well done. Thank you for letting us Old BP hands see a historical document of the last of the "Old BP Fleet".

I am sure everyone will appreciate it and that the effort of all who took part will now get a wider audience and appreciation.

David
AKA Barnsey

John_F
27th September 2007, 20:09
Keith,
I've only just been able to sit down & read your pages. Thanks very much for posting. Even though it all happened after my time with BP there are names there that I recognise - Captain "Willy" Lamb, with whom I sailed when I was an apprentice for a year on the Patriot - & Captain Gareth Roberts who was 2nd Mate on the Birch, again when I was an apprentice.
I echo what Barnsey has said & I'm sure it will be much appreciated by many.
Thanks once again.
Kind regards,
John.

willhastie
29th September 2007, 12:50
thanks from myself ,sailed on 5 of the rivers mentioned in the 70s,would have still been with bp in 82 if the 2nd eng on the wye had not called three of us into his office onboard and started twiddling with a pencil ,not at all interested in our complaint,so we three put our notice in. best move as i was off to ocl and aussie for the remainder of my seatime,thanks again for uploading so many scans

paul0510
29th September 2007, 15:33
Hi Keith,
just noticed another two names on the Wye, 'Baggers' Bagley (was NavApp when I ran across him) and Morrison the CatOff (smallish chappy as I remember).

ramsay
28th December 2007, 12:20
Keith,
Do you remember a Scottish engineer (think he was 3rd or 4th) on the Wye at the time of the Falklands by the name of Haxton?
Now Chief on the St Helena and resident in Penzance.

Hello James, It was Ramsay, I've just joined the site having seen this thread.
Where did we meet?

ramsay
28th December 2007, 12:27
Hello,

Just joined this site, but I may have some information for you. I was second engineer on board British Wye at the time and was given a small booklet afterwards by BP. I also took some photos

Never writen about it yet, and as far as I know , nobody else has who was involved, from a BP ship.

Keith Perriman

Hello Keith, I've just joined after seeing your thread, I can remenber the chief and I trying to get out of the engineroom after the big bang but couldn't open the door as the changing room was full of every member of the crew wearing lifejackets,(it was the safests place to escape straffing), it was funny afterwards!
best regards, Ramsay Haxton

mofnotmuff
15th January 2008, 21:12
Hi,

In the search for further info, tales, stories, experiences, recollections, memories, anecdotes etc (see thread - Major project, I need your help), are there any ex / current BP seafarers who got involved with the Falklands War.?

If so, I'd love to hear anything you can tell me about what it was like etc (Scribe) .

Please feel free to send private e-mails if you prefer.

Many thanks,

Rushie. (Scribe)
Rushie

I was on the british esk in 83 we loaded marine diesel and avcat at grangemouth for the falklands via ascension. we razzed bristol,danae,newcastle and battleaxe on way down and razzed broadsword and southampton when at falklands. buzzed around falklands for about 3 weeks went ashore once to stanley - worst run ashore ever - got picked to see jim davidson along with 3 others (1 from each department) ship got orders to raz southampton at short notice so we couldn,t go - left falklands and ended up at gib for 3 weeks with odd ras in med(ambuscade and avenger coming back from gulf) ended up in ADM drydock amsterdam and paid off - lads i rember were dave nichols(bosun) dave trice(gramps)po kev stainsby(s1)
John Tom (JT)s1

jAdUwallah
16th January 2008, 21:35
Rushie:- "got picked to see jim davidson along with 3 others (1 from each department) ship got orders to raz southampton at short notice so we couldn,t go "
"
That was a bit good luck then.

BlythSpirit
17th January 2008, 20:07
mofnotmuff - interesting to read your post, but I am confused about your use of the terms "Raz" and "Razzed" - I understand the RFA terminology RAS as "Replenishment at Sea" - is your jargon in BP the same thing?

mofnotmuff
17th January 2008, 21:07
Blythspirit - technically i suppose you woud say RAS OR RASSED - but most RN or RFA types i have spoken to on the subject seem to say RAZ or RAZZED - which ever way you pronounce it it means the same - funniest thing i ever saw was when Bristol steamed along side us to transfer male - the matelot on the Bristol fired a line across from an SLR - we all took cover but the mate on our ship waved a couple of table tennis bats as his aiming point - i swear the matelot aimed straight down his throat - the "dildo" the line was attached to shot across like a bat out of hell making the mate take evassive action i.e. diving flat on the deck, the dildo smacked into the flying bridge just at the place the mate had being standing - he recovered his composure and stood up with his hard had at a jaunty angle and his cheeks a bit redder - its days like that you miss!

cheers

m

BettsP
28th October 2008, 16:13
Hi,
I was E/C on my second trip when I joined the Avon in Gib - no idea where we were going till we were on board of course.
The war had just ended before we sailed and I recall watching a fantastic airshow at Gib - of course we could stand alongside the runway just there.

We sailed south via Ascension and crossed with another BP tanker (Tamar?) who we were due to replace. I remember being told of an incident where a low flying plane had been spotted by the crew, to which they all waved until it dropped a bomb on them. Fortunately, the bomb was a dud as it bounced off the deck into the sea.

The weather was atrocious on the way down, so much so that we couldn't steer straight into it, making the journey longer. The 2/E at the time was struggling to remain composed due to the effects the sea was having on his stomach.

I don't remember any RAS runs being made, mostly the RN boats came alongside whilst we sat at anchor and the fuel was transferred across.

Memorable events of the trip included runs ashore in the lifeboat to collect mail, and an organised football match against the Marines (we lost!), exchange of beer as we had all Heineken and the boys on shore had Guinness. Although the temperature was 'cold' the sun was strong enough to give you sunburn during the trips in the lifeboat, which was running as sweet as anything by the time we packed up and left. I had a few days on board one of the RN boats 'for education' and was glad to get back to my home comforts afterwards.

We saluted the ship taking the Sir Galahad recovered bodies home.

The trip home to Rosythe was uneventful save attempting to get back for Christmas Day, which we failed, but getting the engines to their absolute max on the RN diesel fuel resulted in some magnificent performances.

Paul

kevjacko
2nd November 2008, 12:08
Hi Paul I was on the Avon with you on that trip. I was Galley boy. Chief Steward was Joe Vogel from North Shields, Chief Cook Les Hawkins. It was the Sir Tristan that we saluted taking the bodies from the Galahad out of San Carlos bay. Prior to that trip I'd been on the Forties Kiwi, the MOD came aboard to inspect her with the view to her going down with the original task force. I was told in no uncertain terms because I was under 18 years old I would'nt be going. Found myself on the Avon next trip celebrating my 18th down the Falklands. I remember those variety performances we used to go to on the RFA ships, (well I remember escaping to the crew bar and getting pie eyed on their draft beer). I remember having new year in Rosythe and a dammned good time all round. your right we did'nt do any RAS runs that trip, but boy did I do a few after that on the Wye. stayed with BP until the Security was sold in 1989 yep happy days.

PapaLazarouis
16th September 2009, 11:15
Hi,
I'm David Hayes and was an AS on the Wye during the conflict. At 18 in 1982 it's an experience I'll never forget and look back on with great pride at this stage of my life.
Would be glad to hear from anyone else onboard at the time.
Regards
Dave

John Tremelling
18th September 2009, 10:38
First class rendition of all your experiences, read with great interest. Thanks to all for sharing them.

John T

Coastie
18th September 2009, 10:48
Hi,
I'm David Hayes and was an AS on the Wye during the conflict. At 18 in 1982 it's an experience I'll never forget and look back on with great pride at this stage of my life.
Would be glad to hear from anyone else onboard at the time.
Regards
Dave

Hi Dave.

Welcome to Ships Nostalgia from the sunny Isle of Anglesey. May you have many happy hours exploring this wonderful site and I hope you find some of your old shipmates soon.(Thumb)

brooksy
18th September 2009, 21:29
Was on the Esk before the falklands asPO,remember walking around with the mate Nigel Palmer doing a defect list and coming to the MOD filter which was seized up.The mates last words as we left the deck was we will never need it again.

michaelholly
25th October 2009, 08:59
I was an S3 on the British Tamar during the conflict,and the experience and memories will always stay with me,the medal hangs on the wall with pride.
Michael Carriage

r wenn
22nd June 2014, 19:34
Hello all, I am posting on behalf of my Uncle Mel Wenn, who I believe joined the Wye in Portsmouth I think? and was "volunteered" for service in the Falklands. I believe he witnessed the bomb bouncing off the ship, and has been asked to narrate and account of what happened through his eyes, (which he hasn't done as yet). Would love to hear from his old friends.

Graham Wallace
24th June 2014, 02:00
David Rundle Navigating Apprentice 1959 British Justice.

I joined the Justice in May 1959 as an Engineering Apprentice, it was my second ship, David Rundle was one of the 4 Navigating Apprentices sailing at the same time. It was also his second ship the first being the Reliance. In the last 15 years I have been in touch with 2 of the other EAs ,the fourth Keith Collins died in 1999 in South Shields but finding his obituary made me start up my BP website (1999). For the last years of his life Keith was a lecturer at South Shields Marine and Technical college (before it became South Tyne College) and died under odd circumstances.

The other Justice 3 NAs were, Tony Smithers ( Southwick),Bob Coleman ( Eltham) and Chris Hopson(Felixstowe). It was a good ship EAs and NAs got on very well. I have a number of photos of David taken when steaming slow speed on one boiler round the Cape to the Gulf and back to UK (twice).

I have located quite a number of ex BP seagoing personnel, David was one of those I would have liked to reconnect with, I never came across anyone who knew him. In April 2007 I gave up and contacted BP pensions dept, mentioned my connection with David and was told he died January 2006!

I would have liked to have talked to him about those Justice days.

A few years ago I received some original editions of 1983 Fleet News there are two articles about David August 1982 issue #153 and March 1983 issue #160, in the latter is a photo of David with his wife and two daughters after receiving his OBE.

Graham

endure
24th June 2014, 12:35
Anyone know the whereabouts of S1 Barry Viney? I see he was on the Test. I sailed with him when I was 2R/O on the Progress in 1975 and we became good friends. I've not heard from him for years now.

Richard Phillips

twogrumpy
24th June 2014, 17:06
According to my DB, D Rundle was master out in Brunei Bay 83-84 when we were based on the Purpose.

Graham Wallace
24th June 2014, 19:19
According to my DB, D Rundle was master out in Brunei Bay 83-84 when we were based on the Purpose.

2G

That's the guy, the last info I have on him is from Gordon Smeaton. He was Master of Iolair in 1987 and Seillan in 1994/97. He would have been around 58 in 1997 so probably retired soon after.

I have some Fleet fax crew lists 1994/2001 but Seillan was not listed.

Graham