Battersea

Bob S
3rd September 2004, 11:42
Remember these? The flatiron colliers or “Flatties” use to transport coal to the power stations and gas works upriver above London’s bridges.

Central Electricity Generating Board’s “Flatiron” BATTERSEA (51/1777) on the River Thames passing the lock entrance to the Royal Dock’s

Tinkerboy
24th October 2008, 13:32
Yes I remember the Flatirons, I sailed on one but it was not a CEA one, I think it belonged to Cories, it would be around 1957, she was qhe bridge had to be dropped down by hand to clear the bridges, I think we might have gone to Fulham, not sure, wasn't on it long.

BillH
24th October 2008, 14:45
Remember these? The flatiron colliers or “Flatties” use to transport coal to the power stations and gas works upriver above London’s bridges.

Central Electricity Generating Board’s “Flatiron” BATTERSEA (51/1777) on the River Thames passing the lock entrance to the Royal Dock’s
For those interested, the World Ship Society in 1984 published a book "Gas and Electricity Colliers" by D. Ridley Chesterton and R.S.Fenton ISBN 0 905617 33 9.
A5 size 120 pages with illustrations it covers the numerous gas and electricity companies and their fleet details.

monty
24th October 2008, 22:09
Yes I remember the Flatirons, I sailed on one but it was not a CEA one, I think it belonged to Cories, it would be around 1957, she was qhe bridge had to be dropped down by hand to clear the bridges, I think we might have gone to Fulham, not sure, wasn't on it long.

I don't think Cory's had any flatties Tinkerboy. Could have been Stephenson Clarke, or North Thames Gas. Monty

Jacktar1
25th October 2008, 00:14
Happy memories of the time I served as 2nd mate on the "Dame Caroline Haslett", Barry or Dunston to either Battersea or Fulham power stations.
Great ship & good feeder. Cheers...Glan

jrell
13th November 2008, 22:14
I sailed as Mate on the battersea in 1979 and enjoyed my few months going between the north east coast and Battersea Station before taking up my job as Operations Manager inthe Port of Sunderland. I saw the Battersea a few times in the port and went on board when it was laid up in Sunderland. It was renamed the Granville and went to Ireland to load scrap, after loading and on its way to Spain it sadley sank in the Irish sea. A sad end to a nice ship.

Ivor Lloyd
13th November 2008, 22:26
I spent many months as R/O on Blackwall Point
Barry to Battersea

Ivor

caseman
9th April 2009, 16:02
I was on two of the 'submarine' flatties ... the 'Brimsdown/MFTB' and the 'Sir Alexander Kennedy/GZDZ'. Well remember the 'staithes' at Newcastle, Dunston, Derwenthaugh, Tyne Dock, Methil, Seaham and Jarrow for the power stations at Fulham, Battersea, Woolwich, Blackwell Point and Northfleet. They were busy but happy ships, always on the go, often sheltering when the weather turned dire

Would love to get images of them even though I have 1/1250 models of all the 13 ships I sailed on, made my a superb modelmaker with whom I used to 'barter' glass showcases when we ran our own case business as DSC Showcases (dscshowcases.co.uk). Some of them cost over £400 at the time.

Regards
David/G4CMQ

peter drake
11th April 2009, 17:41
Any photos of the models David?
Pete

caseman
12th April 2009, 15:09
Any photos of the models David?
Pete

Will get them done soon Peter. Watch this space (Jester)

david best
20th June 2009, 08:54
Did a short trip on the flatiron Tarring in August 1981. Joined in Belfast discharging grain from Rouen.Cleaned out and loaded coal at Whitehaven for Limerick.Them Llandulas to load stone for Ghent, cleaned out at Flushing and loaded coal **** from Dunkirk for Belfast.

martinallison
24th June 2009, 09:02
I spent the late 70ies and early 80ies tramping round nw europe including the west coast of Ireland on the Climping and the Tarring both ex Gas board Flatties. I was once offered a free ride back to the station by a taxi driver in Plymouth when I told him our destination was Limmerick.

janbonde
24th June 2009, 18:42
blue moon

7woodlane
1st July 2009, 18:43
Remember the flatties well. Sailed on mv Blackwall Point, sistership to the Battersea, also as the R/O.

cassas
11th July 2012, 01:05
Sailed on the SS Tyndall an ancient Flattie in 1955 Mostly Grimsby to Battersea with the occasional trip to Dunkirk. Hard to get off as being in Port most of the time never had any money, Every time the Funnel was pulled down the galley got covered in soot.In my log it says it was owned by C.E.A. Registered in London cassas

Burned Toast
11th July 2012, 10:23
I don't think Cory's had any flatties Tinkerboy. Could have been Stephenson Clarke, or North Thames Gas. Monty

NTGB -CEGB -SEGB those were the only flatty ships companies that I can remember. First two managed by Stevie Clarke's.

Ray(Read)

A.D.FROST
11th July 2012, 13:52

The bridge wasn't lowered, only the older "Flaties" the funnel and masts were.Thats why they were called "Flaties"or it could of been a"BOW" Boat (must be bad if you can't tell the differance between Stones and Coal)(Sad)

trotterdotpom
11th July 2012, 17:40
Harry Richardson's funnel and whatnot were folded down as far as I recall.

John T

A.D.FROST
12th July 2012, 13:38
Harry Richardson's funnel and whatnot were folded down as far as I recall.

John T

HARRY RICHARDSON'50 was motor-ship so could not have had a fold down funnel(short stubbie funnel)only the steamers had tall funnels that were lowered(?HUH)

trotterdotpom
12th July 2012, 13:49
Sorry AD, I just checked some photos in the gallery and you're correct. My memory playing tricks, it must have been just the masts that came down.

John T

gretaston
12th July 2012, 21:06
HARRY RICHARDSON'50 was motor-ship so could not have had a fold down funnel(short stubbie funnel)only the steamers had tall funnels that were lowered(?HUH)

A useless bit of information but my father was dky/greaser on this ship in 1950, also two others carrying coal from barry to the london power stations,
(1) SIR JOSEPH SWAN (2) BRENT KNOLL.
Regards, Gretaston.

ninabaker
12th July 2012, 22:47
I remember these so well from my childhood. I was raised in this row of old houses (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=108+Grosvenor+Road,+London&hl=en&ll=51.484784,-0.141481&spn=0.003828,0.008272&sll=51.485385,-0.141344&hnear=108+Grosvenor+Rd,+London+SW1V+3LG,+United+Ki ngdom&t=h&z=17)directly opposite Battersea Power station and watched the flatirons coming and going for years from my bedroom window.

Not the most romantic of ships, but ships nevertheless and therefore of great interest as i was besotted with anything to do with ships, leading inevitably to my ambition to go to sea.

terstops
26th November 2013, 21:41
Had many memorable summer trips on the Battersea as a teenager with my grandad who was skipper for the best part of the 70's. One memory comes to mind was steering her out of the Thames and nearly putting her into a sand bank. To which I received a sharp head slap followed by a string of expletives and banishment from the wheel. A steep learning curve that one.

calvin
1st December 2013, 19:21
my late father and his mates sailed on lots of flatties loading seaham to london or continent used to love going aboard as young kid these looked massive ships in seaham in fifties sixties til i joined up then i saw massive ships and ulcc boy was my childhood outlook changed

ianrobson36
3rd December 2013, 08:57
I served on the flatiron Fulham viii as 3 eng. it was managed by Stevie Clark's and was on regular run to Battersea P.S. Having spent most my service deep sea, going up and down the North Sea in a flattie in the winter was the only time I was ever seasick. With accommodation midships it was an adventure just to get to the engine room in the 12-4 night watch in a howling gale when you had to judge the waves coming over and run like hell to make sure you stayed dry and did not get washed overboard. Ginger Beer

7woodlane
17th December 2013, 16:34
Seeing mention of the m/v Battersea brought back memories of my time on the sistership m/v Blackwall Point. Endless trips from Tyne/Blyth/Seaham/Methil/ Sunderland to Battersea power station and also Fulham power station thro ' 1958 to 60. Can anyone refresh my memory and tell me was the Fulham berth on the north bank of the river ? Can't find it on any maps. Thanks.
David Whitehead.

Ron Stringer
17th December 2013, 21:39
Can anyone refresh my memory and tell me was the Fulham berth on the north bank of the river ? Can't find it on any maps. Thanks. David Whitehead.

It was on the North bank, just downriver from Wandsworth Bridge. The power station was demolished about 30 years ago and the site was redeveloped (I believe that there is a Sainsbury's supermarket on part of the site) after extensive cleaning/detox of the land. Looking on Google Maps satellite view there seems to be structure parallel to the bank in the river in about the right place for where the jetty would have been, but my memory isn't good enough to be sure.

notnila
17th December 2013, 22:17
I asked about it on another thread a while back,What you see is the remains of the old jetty.
Regards
Arch

athinai
17th December 2013, 22:21
I spent happy times on the SS Brimsdown/MFTB in 1964, Was most disappointed when I was told by MIMCO that I was being transferred to an Oil Tanker., went out East for about 10 months, No Comparison, Brimsdown was best even though we were Coastal, Best Social life and plenty of time up the road etc., Cheers

mr g elliott
18th December 2013, 08:01
I sailed on the Battersea and fulhamx back in 60s great bunch of lads loved going under the bridges in London happy days I was a/s Gordon happy xmas to all merchant navy crews

7woodlane
4th January 2014, 12:27
re: Fulham power station. Sincere thanks to all who replied so quickly. To all I wish a happy and healthy 2014, and keep those memories flowing.