Cambodian visitor to Teignmouth..!

rushie
8th May 2006, 10:11
The Cambodian registered coaster Piligrim 3 arrived at Teignmouth at 1440 07 / 05 / 06 inbound from Treuzenen, loaded with what is believed to be animal feed...may be wrong.

She appears to be the 1st visitor of her type to the port...and a strange but fine looking ship she is.! She's the 1st coaster I've ever seen with central accommadation. Built 1988 and 1160 dwt and owned by Setos, a Russian compamy from St Petersburg. She also has a sister ship - Piligrim 2.

Can anyone explain the propellors on the rear of each funnel.? Never seen anything like it..!!

Thanks,

Rushie.

rushie
8th May 2006, 10:31
Photo of Piligrim 3 now uploaded into "Coasters" gallery.

Rushie.

Peter4447
8th May 2006, 10:54
Hi Rushie
Any idea of her sailing time please ?
Would like to nip down from Torquay to Shaldon with my video camera.
Many thanks (Thumb)
Peter4447

rushie
8th May 2006, 11:05
Hi Peter,

I've spoken to the shipping agents and at the moment she's due to sail on the high tide at 1702 tomorrow evening.

So perhaps I'll see you in Shaldon..!

Just for your info there is also a World Ship Society meeting at the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club at Teignmouth 1930 tomorrow...everyone is welcome.!

Regards,

Rushie.

Peter4447
8th May 2006, 11:11
Many thanks Rushie
Can't make the WSS Meeting but certainly hope to be at Shaldon.
Kind regards (*))
Peter4447

david smith
8th May 2006, 11:11
This is a typical river coaster common in the Russian fleet, now dispersed to other countries of registration. The Ladoga class of coasters also have a strange shapes, one (Ladoga 106) with the bridge on the foc'sle. All have masts which hinge for upriver work.

rushie
8th May 2006, 11:20
Hi David / Peter,

We see a few of the Ladoga 1XX ships in Teignmouth too. In fact 108 was in port earlier this week. Last year we had a couple of visits from the mv Little Star - one of the converted missile carriers. It's always nice to see something a bit different or unusual.

I've posted another photo of Piligrim 3 in the gallery...showing those strange propellors on the rear of the funnels. Perhaps she's submersible and they give her extra ummphh..!

Rushie

Peter4447
8th May 2006, 11:29
Hi Rushie
As Ports Chaplain I had a request to visit the Lagoda 107 a couple of years back. The visit had to be somewhat delayed as when I arrived I found her stuck high and dry on the bar!
I spent sometime on the 'Neermoor' recently after the sad events together with my opposite number from the Mission to Seafarers.
Peter

Wild Rover
8th May 2006, 11:33
They are spare props, these type of vessels are twin screw.

rushie
8th May 2006, 13:29
Thanks Wild Rover.

Their location of storage gives the vessel a strange appearance..! Looks like something out of Thunderbirds.!

Rushie

Charlie_Wood
11th May 2006, 20:47
Having been off duty this week I've only just caught up with this ship's adventures. She left Teignmouth and came down to load in Par. Was stopped from running aground in Polridmouth Bay (looks like the entrance to Fowey on the radar) by the National Coas****ch guys and sent round the corner to Par. Unfortunately she tried to go north of the south cardinal buoy marking the Cannis rocks and was, once again, stopped by the NCI. My pal then boarded her off Fowey to take her to Par. Hopefully she's sailed on tonights tide and that will be the last we see of her.

non descript
11th May 2006, 22:09
Charlie, thanks for the comment - frankly this is the stuff of nightmares, but it brings back memories....

Like fixing the first Chinese Bulk Carrier to a European Charterer, with delivery DLOSP Antwerp and the Master, after delivery called up the office and asked "How do I get to Nouhadibou?" - somehow "Turn left and keep on going until you need to ask again" seemed an unsuitable reply. (*))

Tonga

rushie
12th May 2006, 07:37
Hi Charlie,

Doesn't me either...what a tub..!!

They turn ships 360 degrees in Teignmouth which usually is fine with the assistance of bow thrusters. She didn't appear to have any and so it was the piolot boat on full throttle that turned her.

Can't imagine what she's doing deep sea.

Glad I saw her though..!

Rushie

Pilot mac
12th May 2006, 08:12
The Pilgrim ships are former Soviet River ships of the 'STK' class. Twin screw with twin rudders as I recall. No bow thrust, shallow draft(about 3.5 metres loaded). Fun on a windy day in ballast but not as much fun as the former ST class which were longer and shallower! Nightmare. Hopefully they have now all gone.

Dave