Diving on the Mikhail Lermontov

raybnz
9th May 2006, 22:05
Last night on the TV here in NZ there was a article on parts of the Mikhal Lermontov being offered for sail on Ebay. Its mostly crockery etc that is being brought up.

There is two bodies within the wreck. One the Refrig Engineer who died when the ship sunk and the other a 19yo diver who lost his life during dive.

To me this action of taking parts and offering them for sale equats to grave robbing.

By all accounts the ship is still owned by the shipping company.

BrianP
3rd October 2007, 19:40
It makes my blood boil to think that divers can go and disturb the graves of seamen who lost their lives. The improved technology allows divers to go ever deeper, finding new wrecks to be robbed of anything they find. The laws relating to reporting finds to the receiver of wrecks, is a complete farse. Divers just ignore this voluntary reporting and just keep quite about what they have pinched.
All ships that were sunk during the World Wars should be treated as war graves, Royal Navy or Merchant ships. No entry and leave alone.
Divers are going to the site of my grandfathers war grave and stealing any bits of brass that will look good on top of there mantelpiece. Not only that, they pass on this information, so that other mindless idiots can do further damage. They think that they are in some small way are helping to preserve artifacts, rubbish!!! would anybody think it would be reasonable to go into a cemetary and start digging and helping oneself, I think not, so what is the difference.
(Cloud) BrianP

sparkie2182
3rd October 2007, 20:20
no difference at all, brian.

a ghoul is a ghoul

methc
4th October 2007, 22:53
These posts are very "PC". aren't they? And very "Twee".

As to there being bodies on board, how can you tell? They probably rotted away years ago or were eaten by fishes.Callous brutes!
Please read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Lermontov_(ship)) before making further comments.

melliget
6th October 2007, 10:08
Being respectful of the dead is PC and twee? No, I don't think so.

Paul UK
6th October 2007, 10:45
I agree by all means look but dont touch.

Paul

Being respectful of the dead is PC and twee? No, I don't think so.

Philthechill
23rd October 2007, 18:37
Fair do's, if Brian P's grandfather is entombed in some wartime wreck and he knows that divers have been nicking bits and bobs from it he has every right to feel a bit p****d-off. What ship was it Brian and where was it sunk?

BrianP
23rd October 2007, 19:02
Phil,
The name of the ship is the BAY FISHER, formaly Tarnwater, Sunk near the Bell Rock lighthouse, on 7th. Feb. 1941. My grandfather Master John Todd & six crew, including a DEMS gunner went down with this ship.
May they be left in peace.
BrianP

Philthechill
23rd October 2007, 22:40
Phil,
The name of the ship is the BAY FISHER, formaly Tarnwater, Sunk near the Bell Rock lighthouse, on 7th. Feb. 1941. My grandfather Master John Todd & six crew, including a DEMS gunner went down with this ship.
May they be left in peace.
BrianP Thanks for the info Brian! Phil