Port New Plymouth

Fairfield
6th September 2004, 20:03
One of the fine big cargo liners of this company photographed in Glasgow/s King George V Dock in 1978.

flyer682
26th November 2004, 11:47
Another view from 1978 - this time in Timaru, New Zealand in June of that year.
This was the last visit of this fine ship to New Zealand.

celsis
23rd August 2006, 10:25
Sailed on her a few times. Went on the first trip after she has sustained a huge gash in her bows at Panama. Spent the start of the trip in Wilton Feijenoord in Schiedam being repaired!

sandra
5th September 2006, 16:57
Hi there,
I saw the Port New Plymouth sail from KGV dock. Was 1978 the only time it left from Govan ...I'm sure it was before this.
Thanks S.

fred henderson
5th September 2006, 17:07
A warm welcome to the site, Sandra. I hope you enjoy its facilities and will participate in the debates and banter.

Fred (Thumb)

R58484956
5th September 2006, 19:23
Welcome Sandra to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, most of us left the sea/ships years ago but our minds are still there.

shad
16th September 2006, 10:11
anybody know frank smith, think he was bosun,last time I saw him was in Timaru n.z. he came from wakefield yorks.

wakaman
17th September 2006, 04:52
I remember her at Napier on her maiden voyage,about 1961,a cadet used
to play the bugle every morning !!!(==D)

Fairfield
17th September 2006, 21:20
She was a common visitor to Glasgow throughout her long career, mainly to Plantation Quay then King George V Dock when the upriver berths closed.
That pic was taken in August 1978 which was her last visit to the Clyde. Pic on the Gallery of her depature.

Hamish Mackintosh
17th September 2006, 23:59
I remember her at Napier on her maiden voyage,about 1961,a cadet used
to play the bugle every morning !!!(==D)

Greetings , On her maiden voyage she was under the command of Captain P H Pedrick, during the course of which she crossed from Brisbane to new Plymouth, to load 5000 ton of frozen product. There she was open to the public inspection, and was presented with the coat of arms of the city

EMMESSTEE
17th September 2006, 23:59
A cadet played the bugle every morning? Sort of correct - the Master (Capt. Peter Pedrick) was the Port Line commodore at the time and was renowned throughout the fleet for his love of "breaking out flags" at 0800hrs to the sound of the bugle. The playing of the bugle was a recording over a loud speaker system!! I can remember being in Hobart on "Port Victor" together with "Port
New Plymouth" and "Port Vindex" - in such a small port, all three ships "broke out" their flags on cue from the "Port New Plymouth"!! You wouldn't see or hear the like today!

-----------
Mike.

mary.hearn2
24th August 2009, 19:02
Sailed on her a few times. Went on the first trip after she has sustained a huge gash in her bows at Panama. Spent the start of the trip in Wilton Feijenoord in Schiedam being repaired!
can anyone help im looking for thomas jones born northumerland
mary

mary.hearn2
12th September 2009, 14:29
hi im trying to trace thomas jones who was a d/mon the shipearly 1970 /80s
can anyone help please mary

mary.hearn2
4th October 2009, 15:14
can anyone remember tommy jones d/mon port new plymouth
he dent a letter home in 1973 ,mary

TIM HUDSON
4th October 2009, 16:39
Can remember her launch and fitting out at Swan Hunter on Tyne 1960 (1961?). Good looking ship.
tim

borderreiver
4th October 2009, 19:37
I went on board her in Napier on her maiden voyage. Nearly did a swap with the deck boys. at the time i was on Port Montreal during a years voyage

BAROONA
5th October 2009, 03:17

I was Chief Officer that trip. Managed to get the old lady painted up properly by the time we sailed for Avonmouth. Under her bow is the Tongan KEMPHAAN. She sailed soon after and caught fire off Akaroa and some were lost in her

Pete Bower
13th October 2009, 17:39
What a sad end to her. I remember her as a lovely ship, if elderly in the early 70s, on her calls at Cape Town

Gazza 1
13th March 2010, 08:25
I was Chief Officer that trip. Managed to get the old lady painted up properly by the time we sailed for Avonmouth. Under her bow is the Tongan KEMPHAAN. She sailed soon after and caught fire off Akaroa and some were lost in her

I was just talking to Lee Jackman an AB that was on her that trip she was in Timaru and he can remember painting her before sailing deep sea , he now lives at Temuka which is just north of Timaru

adrianvare
19th March 2010, 15:25
Was on her in 68/69, saild from Plantation warf, Bettys Bar was the local bar, went to Hobart, done the Aussie coast, good memories,

sagalout
9th October 2010, 22:04
I was on her in 67 I think she had a refit and went on sea trails we got stuck anchored out at Liverpool during a strike. Beautiful ship lovely lines & very posh inside if I remember right

sagalout
1st November 2010, 15:01
Hi Emmesstee when was you on The Port Vindex I took her down to NZ in '67?
Sagalout

bobnjude
1st October 2011, 06:48
I was the Bosun on her on her last trip to Timaru, Bubbles !

Thomas Hinton
3rd October 2011, 19:54
I was on her in 67 I think she had a refit and went on sea trails we got stuck anchored out at Liverpool during a strike. Beautiful ship lovely lines & very posh inside if I remember right

Do you remember Harry Hinton the Chief Chef being dropped down in a life boat at the Mersey Bar so he could reach his son's wedding the next day. The ship had come round from London I think and got caught up in the Tug strike. Regards Harry's son Tom

dja
10th October 2011, 21:45
I was the Bosun on her on her last trip to Timaru, Bubbles !

Bubbles - is it you who's left this post ! ? Remember me - Dave Allan ? ! How are you doin after all these years - I heard that you live in Timaru ? I'm still living in Southampton area. Have you heard from Clem in recent times ? Be good to hear from you mate.
Dave

Thomas Hinton
12th October 2011, 13:49
According to my fathers discharge book his engagement on the New Plymouth was 10th October,1960. Would this have been its maiden voyage. If anyone can confirm this as I think he did a maiden voyage on this ship. Tom Hinton(Harry Hinton chief chef's son)

celsis
26th October 2011, 21:54
Bubbles - is it you who's left this post ! ? Remember me - Dave Allan ? ! How are you doin after all these years - I heard that you live in Timaru ? I'm still living in Southampton area. Have you heard from Clem in recent times ? Be good to hear from you mate.
Dave

I sailed with Bubbles as well! Clem, if I remember correctly, is driving a taxi in Manchester or Liverpool........

jollyjackashore
5th February 2012, 02:07
I was 4th engineer on that last trip to Timaru. Have fond memories of that trip

leejackman
17th September 2012, 11:16
Hi Dave, I was on that trip with Bubbles and live about 10 miles away from him now (nz)... I got to hear that Clem was coming over so had to see him, met them both, and had a great time with them, Clem has lost a lot of his memory though, he drives Taxis in the UK.... go here to see photos http://www.facebook.com/peter.jackman.n ....Regards Lee