John H Amos

vchiu
11th May 2006, 16:37
The last surviving steam Paddle Tug in UK (and maybe in the world?)

http://www.johnhamos.org

Seems to be getting some attention. I hope all the best for this tug

Paedrig
11th May 2006, 17:30
Thankyou for posting the link. I drive by it every week and wondered who owned it. From what I can see from the roadside she appears to be on a concrete apron well above the highwater mark which is something I guess.

vchiu
11th May 2006, 18:02
According to the site, she has been raised dry end of April in order to allow repairs to proceed. It seems she is in good hands. We should pay tribute to the hard work from volunteers who strive to save her.

Bruce Carson
11th May 2006, 18:58
The last surviving steam Paddle Tug in UK (and maybe in the world?)

As chronicled previously on this forum, the 'Eppleton Hall', another British built paddle tug, is at the San Francisco Maritime Museum.

http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/eppie.html

Bruce C.

Tony Crompton
11th May 2006, 19:24
She was still in service in my first year as a Pilot.(1967). Used to dread meeting her with a barge lashed alongside. Always made sure to pass as far away as possible as
it was anyones guess as to how she was steering or where she would go.
--------------------------
Tony C

karbine
13th May 2006, 13:40
I cant seem to get onto that site its just white :@

danube4
13th May 2006, 13:47
Karbine. I just clicked web Bruce put in, No problem.
Barney.

ruud
13th May 2006, 14:19
Ahoy Barney,

I think that Karbine meant the other link[the first] which was posted by vchiu, that one is blank, but there are lots of other sites that tribute the John H Amos.
[see "Google">>> John H Amos paddle tugs]

vchiu
13th May 2006, 16:43
Strange as it seemed to work a few days ago

Paedrig
13th May 2006, 21:24
Strange as it seemed to work a few days ago
It did work on the 11th, how strange. Have an idea that there was a note about it being a site re-launch..perhaps it was taken down again, just leaving the domain name in place.