Port Nicholson

Fairfield
6th September 2004, 20:10
Taken in Glasgow again,this time in 1979,another fine ship.

flyer682
22nd November 2004, 10:13
A couple more photos from 1979. Her last ever call to Timaru NZ in February/March of that year. She arrived direct from Mukalla and sailed onwards to Napier, Auckland, Cyprus, Piraeus, Malta and Avonmouth.

tanker
22nd November 2004, 14:25
Very similar to PORT NEW PLYMOUTH build Swan Hunter/Wallesend in 1960.

Bob S
22nd November 2004, 20:39
Brilliant, nice to see ships I know (or knew) photographed on the other side of the world.

flyer682
25th November 2004, 20:01
Yes, she was very similar to Port New Plymouth - in effect Port Nicholson could be considered an enlarged version of that ship. At the time of her building in 1962 she was the largest refrigerated ship afloat.

flyer682
26th November 2004, 11:42
Taken in Glasgow again,this time in 1979,another fine ship.

Do you happen to have a date when the photo was taken please?
Perhaps also her arrival & departure dates for that visit?

Mick quinn
28th September 2005, 20:30
Joined this ship as a lowly deck boy straight from sea school in KGV Dock, London. At the time she was the Port Line Commodre's ship and I sailed on her from UK-Australia-NZ-UK from December 1967 to April 1968. Not a very happy ship for me I am afraid, only too glad to leave her on arrival back at Royal Docks, London. Have some photos of her during voyage but no scanner, sorry.

Fairfield
28th September 2005, 20:35
Always sorry to hear when a ship is not a happy one for someone.I suppose the enthusiast always sees from the outside only,looks etc and never appreciates the real thing,operating and crew.I/m sure some of the best looking ships have been nightmares to work on!!

Tom Carson
21st June 2006, 21:58
A couple more photos from 1979. Her last ever call to Timaru NZ in February/March of that year. She arrived direct from Mukalla and sailed onwards to Napier, Auckland, Cyprus, Piraeus, Malta and Avonmouth.
I sailed on her from April 1977 joined her at Sheerness, went down to Kiwi.
Timaru and Lyttleton Then Back up to Liverpool payed off June 1977.Good trip..

Aldinga
22nd June 2006, 04:29
1962 photo courtesy of "Adlard Coles, Merchant Ships World Built".

Ron

EMMESSTEE
24th June 2006, 02:29
Ron -

Her trials photo off Arran on the Firth of Clyde - she was H&W, Belfast built.

I did her guarantee docking back in Belfast in the last quarter of 1963 - she was a fine vessel!

----------
Mike.

celsis
23rd August 2006, 10:23
Sailed on the Nicholson around 1978 and had my best trip at sea. Joined her in antwerp after we had been left in a hotel for 5 days on expenses with the normal result! Frank Butler paid out the expenses toa lot of shaky hands!

Sailed for St John, NB, with a cargo of tractors in november and ran into a force 10 in the Atlantic. Some of tractors broke free and we ended up with a good load of scrap!

Ended up in St John for a couple of months as we were loading spuds for Algeria and the wharfies wouldn't work as the temperature was too cold!

Great trip!

panzar
27th October 2006, 20:22
the port nicholson will always be my favourite as she was my first ship 1967 had some great times on her ...........john

Tmac1720
28th October 2006, 12:28
Details for Port Nicholson, built by Harland and Wolff Belfast, yard number 1646 launched 4th May 1962 delivered 9th November 1962 13847 gross tons for Port Line Ltd.

calmac
14th May 2008, 12:27
Joined this ship as a lowly deck boy straight from sea school in KGV Dock, London. At the time she was the Port Line Commodre's ship and I sailed on her from UK-Australia-NZ-UK from December 1967 to April 1968. Not a very happy ship for me I am afraid, only too glad to leave her on arrival back at Royal Docks, London. Have some photos of her during voyage but no scanner, sorry.

I was on her at that time your name rings a bell I joined as d.b the year before Was Frank Butler the bosun
Calum Macleod

calmac
14th May 2008, 12:32
the port nicholson will always be my favourite as she was my first ship 1967 had some great times on her ...........john

Joined Port Nic in 66 until about 70 when i joined the ACT1
Give me a name
Calum macleod

kevin morgan
14th May 2008, 13:01
i seem to remember Kevin Bugden (down-below) recalling fondly the Newfoundland trip several times when i 'sailed' with him several times later.

rickie
23rd May 2008, 21:24
Sailed on the Nicholson around 1978 and had my best trip at sea. Joined her in antwerp after we had been left in a hotel for 5 days on expenses with the normal result! Frank Butler paid out the expenses toa lot of shaky hands!

Sailed for St John, NB, with a cargo of tractors in november and ran into a force 10 in the Atlantic. Some of tractors broke free and we ended up with a good load of scrap!

Ended up in St John for a couple of months as we were loading spuds for Algeria and the wharfies wouldn't work as the temperature was too cold!

Great trip!

came across this web site by chance how mad i was on that trip was only 17 did i get hammered in antwerp wasnt used to stella

celsis
24th May 2008, 08:33
Hi Rickie! Do you remember any of the crew? What were you doing yourself?

rickie
24th May 2008, 16:27
Hi Rickie! Do you remember any of the crew? What were you doing yourself?

ye i remember them well i was pantry boy was a bit of a ##### have well changed was you a deck hand

celsis
25th May 2008, 09:31
Nope, i was a long haired greaser. I was the Scottish guy that Martin O'Neill (the guy with the sanity certificate) used to enjoy winding up!

Jeez, that was a good trip! A young crew and almost everybody sha**ing ashore!

Got any photos? I lost all mine when I moved house.....

rickie
25th May 2008, 14:36
Nope, i was a long haired greaser. I was the Scottish guy that Martin O'Neill (the guy with the sanity certificate) used to enjoy winding up!

Jeez, that was a good trip! A young crew and almost everybody sha**ing ashore!

Got any photos? I lost all mine when I moved house.....

sorry no i was out my nut most nights. Trying to picture u did you go down to cape town and p e. ye was a good crack I think i remember you didnt you used to wear a white boiler suit in the bar . who used to put fag ends in ya can tenants when you went for a waz that was minging. ye i crossed the line on her still got the cert.you remember the show the 2 steward and lampy put on one night think they were married funny as. was mar,tin a deck hand used to drink with kevin steward think that was his name.

celsis
31st May 2008, 09:14
Yeah, I was on her to Cape Town and PE. Missed her in Cape Town and had to fly to PE to rejoin her! I remember the skipper, Vic Hunt, giving me the bill for the flight and 5 days in a hotel where I put everything on the bill. It was for 192! He actually apologised for it being so large! I just replied that hey, I'd just had a week's holiday in South Africa for 192!!

I remember the steward and the lampy. Weird that was! Martin was from Manchester. Completely off his rocker!

Jeez, that was a good trip! Good crowd, good voyage and good ship!

taffy999
23rd September 2008, 20:31
She was a lovely ship. I sadly was on board during her last voyage in 1979. We loaded her full of logs in South Africa, you can imagine the damage that caused to the freezer holds.
We discharged her In Taiwan then took her to the scrap yard further along the coast.

frankbutler
20th October 2009, 23:02
Give me a name
Calum macleod

I remember you well if you stayed with Port Nich for 4 years you did as well as i did. I stood by her building in Belfast from February 62 maiden voyage November same year.Met my wife in Belfast {to long in one place.no regrets however} final voyage paid off London May 67.Couple of coastal voyages and . took up job ashore.retired late 90 after being awarded an MBE for sevices to the shipping industry.42 years with Port Line / Blueport/Cunard Ellerman. Frank Butler.

ianian
21st October 2009, 07:23
Ron -

Her trials photo off Arran on the Firth of Clyde - she was H&W, Belfast built.

I did her guarantee docking back in Belfast in the last quarter of 1963 - she was a fine vessel!

----------
Mike.

Maybe I bumped into to you as it was my first trip to sea, joined in Huskinson Dock Liverpool on 5th November 1963, as a lowely junior engineer Chief Eng was Linklater, 2nd eng was Ron Connoly Dave Gambles was S/3/eng I remember some other names but wait to see if you answer back

ianian

ianian
21st October 2009, 07:36
Give me a name
Calum macleod

Did you by any chance meet my Dad he was on the Nicholson as senior mechanic Sandy Shields, if any one knew him or has any one got any photo's of him I would be obliged ,he was also on the Act boats.[now no longer with us]

ianian

callpor
22nd October 2009, 11:02
Maybe I bumped into to you as it was my first trip to sea, joined in Huskinson Dock Liverpool on 5th November 1963, as a lowely junior engineer Chief Eng was Linklater, 2nd eng was Ron Connoly Dave Gambles was S/3/eng I remember some other names but wait to see if you answer back

ianian

Ianian,
I must have been there the same time, but my memory for names that long ago is very poor. I joined as third trip apprentice 6 September 1963 for the guarantee drydocking at Harland's in Belfast then made the next round voyage to NZ signing off 10 March 1964. Remember there were four deck apprentices and two engineer cadets (Eric March was one?).Captain Ted Young was Master, John Holdrup was Chief Officer, and I think that John Course was Third Officer. The "Nicholson" was a fine vessel, probably fitted out better than any other I sailed on and I have good memories from those six months. I recall that our outward bound general cargo was the largest every carried on one vessel during peacetime to New Zealand and took 5 weeks to discharge! Then after preparing the holds we took another 8 weeks to load a full reefer cargo, which also broke records for the number of new season lamb. Those were the days - youngsters on todays' container vessels would never believe the time we were on the coast/in port. Happy days?
Regards,
Chris Allport

ianian
22nd October 2009, 13:17
Ianian,
I must have been there the same time, but my memory for names that long ago is very poor. I joined as third trip apprentice 6 September 1963 for the guarantee drydocking at Harland's in Belfast then made the next round voyage to NZ signing off 10 March 1964. Remember there were four deck apprentices and two engineer cadets (Eric March was one?).Captain Ted Young was Master, John Holdrup was Chief Officer, and I think that John Course was Third Officer. The "Nicholson" was a fine vessel, probably fitted out better than any other I sailed on and I have good memories from those six months. I recall that our outward bound general cargo was the largest every carried on one vessel during peacetime to New Zealand and took 5 weeks to discharge! Then after preparing the holds we took another 8 weeks to load a full reefer cargo, which also broke records for the number of new season lamb. Those were the days - youngsters on todays' container vessels would never believe the time we were on the coast/in port. Happy days?
Regards,
Chris Allport

Hi Chris, yes! we must both have been there at the same time, I don't know whether I liked that first trip or not I have mixed feelings about it.
But I must have liked the life at sea as I stayed for 41 years or was I a captive audience. However it was not a bad start, Do you belong to Vintage Port and their web site, only next year I shall attend their reunion on the Wellington on the River Thames, why don't you come along and we will share a yarn and a beer, I will be with my brother Stuart as he served with Port line as well, if you look at my profile you will see me when I was young, perhaps it will trigger your memory .

Kind Regards Ian Shields e,mail = ianshields1@aol.com

callpor
22nd October 2009, 16:39
Ian,
41 years - you must have enjoyed something about the life? I came ashore after 18 years and worked in various marine parts of Esso/Exxon for the next 22 before retiring in 2002. The photo on your -profile rang some bells? May be from the "Wyndham" - I was there for three trips, first joined Jan 1965 and finally left her in Aug 1966. I have been a member of Vintage Port for some years but have yet to attend a reunion in London. Not so easy from my home in SW France! I've made a note of your email address and will drop you a line shortly. Best regards, Chris

ianian
22nd October 2009, 20:20
Ian,
41 years - you must have enjoyed something about the life? I came ashore after 18 years and worked in various marine parts of Esso/Exxon for the next 22 before retiring in 2002. The photo on your -profile rang some bells? May be from the "Wyndham" - I was there for three trips, first joined Jan 1965 and finally left her in Aug 1966. I have been a member of Vintage Port for some years but have yet to attend a reunion in London. Not so easy from my home in SW France! I've made a note of your email address and will drop you a line shortly. Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

My God! how about that, yes we were on the Port Wyndham together, the C/eng was Bob Morgan I cannot remember the 2/eng's name, but had a dodgy ticker, the S/3/eng was I seem to remember Alan Dobie, my memory is going it was so long ago, but it was not a bad trip, I remember at christmas making a remark about my Father doing the maiden voyage as J/4/eng and me doing the 2nd from last as J/3/eng, so kept it in the family.

Amazing who you meet on this site, where exactly do you live in SW France.
Kind Regards Ian

EMMESSTEE
25th October 2009, 11:55

ianian

My discharge book shows that we wouldn't have bumped into one another, not then anyway! I joined the "Nicholson" in London 10 September 1963, we were off the articles in Belfast during the guarantee docking period 28 September to 18 October. Went back on articles 19 October, loaded in Glasgow and I signed off in Liverpool 25 October. I joined the "Auckland" in Avonmouth the day you joined the "Nicholson", 5 November 1963.
-------------
Mike.

Terry Willcox
27th December 2009, 15:29
Hi All. I was on the Port Nicholson from the 2nd March - 19th August 1966, as an Asst Stwd. It was one of the best ships that I have ever sailed on, Danny Satchel was the Second Steward, our crew got the crew bar going, I remember saving all of our ring-pulls from the cans of beer, and having them on the deck head, also buying new bar seats in Auz, great times. Take care..... Terry Willcox, ( still a Port Line addict ).

Hamish Mackintosh
27th December 2009, 19:59
A little more info on her, her maiden voyage was to Wellington, whose harbour her name is derived from, the master on that trip was E W R Young a senior master with Port line.She was powered by twin Harland B&W six cylinder diesels developing 17000 BHP and an "In Service" speed of18.5knots however on her trials she did an "easy" 22 Knots.She was a larger model of the Port New Plymouth,and carried twelve passengers in air conditioned comfort, along with a crew of eighty two, all of whom had seperate cabins except for the boys and cadets. She was the largest vessel owned by Port Line with a tonnage of 14792 and a total deadwieght tonnage of 19127

panzar
13th March 2010, 19:26
Give me a name
Calum macleod
my name is john humphries i was the er boy r849101 may 67 to sept 67 great ship great crew..
often think of her had many a dream about her....

donsfan
18th July 2010, 18:09
I sailed on the Nicholson for two years 1971-73 was messman first trip uk New Zealand laid up in Liverpool for ages then UK -South Africa-Tasmania-UK then UK-Red Sea India-Bangledesh-UK Went on to join ACT 6 then Port Alfred Left Port Line in 76 joined Ben Line. Great times the Nicholson was a good ship

Terry Willcox
19th July 2010, 15:40
I sailed on the Port Nicholson February 1966 an finished August 1966. I was a Asst/Stwd, the ship was one of the happest ships that I have ever saild on. We started up the crew bar with ring pulls all over the deckhead, I remember writing to some of the suppliers of beer and asking them for some advertising material to go on the bulkheads, also we brought a lot of bar funiture from a supplier in Australia, a very happy ship ( wish I could turn the clock back to those days ) Danny Satchell was the Second Steward, " Oh happy days ". Take care..... Terry. (H)

panzar
2nd August 2010, 19:11
this is for calmac .
i joined the nicholson in may 67 till end of sept 67 i was the engine room boy.
my name is john humphries r849101 she was my first ship a brilliant trip the capt lw cady was made commodre of the fleet when we were in napier great time...

harry zwart
17th January 2011, 21:13
I remember you well if you stayed with Port Nich for 4 years you did as well as i did. I stood by her building in Belfast from February 62 maiden voyage November same year.Met my wife in Belfast {to long in one place.no regrets however} final voyage paid off London May 67.Couple of coastal voyages and . took up job ashore.retired late 90 after being awarded an MBE for sevices to the shipping industry.42 years with Port Line / Blueport/Cunard Ellerman. Frank Butler.

joined port nicholson 27 th april 1970 with my mate tom(froggy)bruce and paid off 11th july ,still got my pay off slip with frank butlers phone number on the back,stayed with port line for 2 years and had a great time

jollyjackashore
5th February 2012, 02:55
Joined her in 76 when she was in dry dock at Barry in South Wales. I was a junior engineer on my first trip. Went to Kiwi and back, paid off in Liverpool then rejoined in Sheerness for another trip to Kiwi

gretaston
6th February 2012, 22:15
It may be of interest for you to know that the wreck of the PORT NICHOLSON built in 1919 and torpedoed northeast of cape cod on the 16-june-1942 by u-87 has been located by an american salvage team, with a veiw to recovering the 7 tons of platinum that went down with her,they estimate the value at around 3 billion dollors,
at no time in the interview did anyone give a mention of the six crew members that were lost with her.
Gretaston.

harryredvers
15th March 2012, 22:59
Joined her in Middlesbrough in 1973. Dave Kissane was o/m while rock-dodging then the regular master Ralph Wight joined at Tilbury for Brock run: Durban-Seychelles-Maldives-Colombo-Madras-Chittagong-Chalna-Trincomalee. Originally she was to go to New Orleans after bunkering at Durban, this was later changed for Europe but Israel and Egypt intervened and the Suez Canal was closed when they went to war. We were diverted to Mombasa for bunkers. Before we sailed from Mombasa the om asked the Durban agents where had the ship's mail got to - turned out it was still in Durban so he held the sailing up till it was forwarded. It was his last trip. We set out for Europe and bunkered a second time in the Canary Islands then to Leixoes and finally on to Avonmouth. It was a good trip. Personnel: mate, Bill Phillips; 2nd mate, John Montgomery; 3rd mate was called Marcus and had his wife Solveig with him, Steve Collett was 4th mate and he organised us into making a yacht from dunnage. It skimmed round Trincomalee harbour like a dream. The pco was ex-RN and a really nice guy. The chief's name I don't remember but he was gaga about the Goon Show. 2nd engineer was John Herdman. 3rd was Scot, 4th was Ray Pitts from Hull and two fivers I seem to remember; one was called Lew and came from Dunedin and seemed to be on the run from the Kiwi cops, the other was Pete, an Aussie from Melbourne. The lecce was a Kiwi called Ted. The freezer I remember had a hare-lip.
I rocked-dodged from Avonmouth to Dundee when John Hart took over as om and a lecturer from Gravesend College replaced Bill. We had a Dutch skipper as 3rd mate and John Herdman was replaced by a 2nd called Brian from Middlesbrough. We spent Christmas in Dundee and New Year in Antwerp followed by Hamburg and Rotterdam and finally Tilbury loading for a Port Line run. By now the chief steward was Steve Buie, Bill had rejoined and the 2nd mate was Alec Tweedie. The chief was the same but we had an extra 2nd in a guy called Bradbury, a chief from QE2. Lecce and freezer remained the same as well. We had about six passengers outward - all ex-company people on gratis passage. From Tilbury we did Durban, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane then went to Beauty Point and Hobart to load apples and meat for Europe, oh and zinc, and more passengers plus a doctor for the return leg. Came back to UK by way of Cape Town and signed off in Cardiff. There were many others during the twelve months I sailed in her who I can't remember just now. Like a flickering candle one moment they are there but the image is hard to hold. Some memories very good, some best suppressed - for now.

cooks son
16th April 2012, 13:51
Do you remember the above? Unfortunately he passed away Feb 2012.

cooks son
16th April 2012, 14:15
Just read Harry Redvers post. Harry did you mean cpo and not pco & your comment "The pco was ex-RN and a really nice guy" Did he have long fair hair and a hearty laugh? Was he the cook?

harryredvers
16th April 2012, 17:27
wrt #43and #44. My condolences but the name Davy Richards doesn't ring a bell cooks son. The man I was talking about was purser or chief steward or PCO. He wasn't the cook. As I said he was a really nice bloke and ex-R.N. I don't think he was all that long out of the Andrew. Once, we were proceeding northward along the South African coast and there was a patrolling R.N warship on the landward side of us. Observing him, seemingly contemplative at the rail looking over towards it, I asked him if he'd sooner be aboard her. He told me that he had never known the camarederie again that existed on a warship.
I think Steve Buie was the Port Nicholson regular pco/chief steward but he didn't do the Brock's run after Middlesbrough. I think Buie may have rejoined in Avonmouth. He did the Port Line run and was still there when I left in Cardiff in 1974. It is possible that Buie just didn't want to do a Brock's run. But he may have been ashore ill either. I only sailed with him the once. It was enough.

yamaha yr5
7th June 2012, 19:40
my first ship after leaving nsts gravesend feb 1971.What can i say brilliant trip top crew ,all the way down to nz and tasmania ,i wish i could it again sadly no.

john keaveney
9th November 2012, 22:13
I was on her at that time your name rings a bell I joined as d.b the year before Was Frank Butler the bosun
Calum Macleod

Calum Macleod do you remember me my name is John Keaveney we sailed our first trip together as deck boys in 1967 on the port nicholson I was the little guy from Glascow the other boys names were Davin kean and a guy called Lester

john keaveney
9th November 2012, 22:21

my name is John Keaveny I was from GlasgowI sailed my first trip under you in 1967 on the port nicholson as a deck boy the bosuns mat was called paddy I hope this finds you well

R.A.Catterall
22nd December 2012, 21:58
Calum Macleod do you remember me my name is John Keaveney we sailed our first trip together as deck boys in 1967 on the port nicholson I was the little guy from Glascow the other boys names were Davin kean and a guy called Lester

My name is Alan Catterall, i was engineroom boy on my first trip with you i think. ihave some pics of us i think.

R.A.Catterall
22nd December 2012, 22:00
Calum Macleod do you remember me my name is John Keaveney we sailed our first trip together as deck boys in 1967 on the port nicholson I was the little guy from Glascow the other boys names were Davin kean and a guy called LesterMy name is Alan Catterall, i was engineroom boy on my first trip with you i think. ihave some pics of us i think.

R.A.Catterall
23rd December 2012, 00:26
My name is Alan Catterall, i was engineroom boy on my first trip with you i think. ihave some pics of us i think.

west.paul
22nd January 2013, 13:39

Hi,
I sailed on her very good times
Paul West

qualityman
7th November 2013, 18:27
My first trip as deck cadet. Joined in Aden 1978 as a 16 year old. Loaded reefer in NZ for Europe. Took 6 weeks to load, then I did a similar trip 3 years later on ACT 2 and it took 5 days!
Glad I was around for the days of real ships. These new box boat monsters have none of the class of the general cargo era.
Would be interested to hear from anyone who knew me.
Darrell Bate

ROSS ANDREWS
8th November 2013, 14:17
Last time i left that beautiful ship was Christmas eve Singapore 1975.
What a brilliant 5 month trip that was!

celsis
27th January 2014, 19:44
She was a lovely ship. I sadly was on board during her last voyage in 1979. We loaded her full of logs in South Africa, you can imagine the damage that caused to the freezer holds.
We discharged her In Taiwan then took her to the scrap yard further along the coast.

I'm glad i wasn't aboard on that last trip. That would've broken my heart................

calmac
19th April 2014, 03:58
G/Day John,
I can remember you well .Dave was the redhead and Lester was the little round fella.

calmac
19th April 2014, 04:02
Hi Alan,
Can't recall but if you have photos that would be good.