Anyone remember me - Robert Stork?

Robert Stork
14th May 2006, 11:46
http:// http:// MahoutinTasmania092 Hi my name is Robert Stork and I have only just discovered this web site.
In 1963 I joined Thos & Jno Brocklebank straight from boarding school in the then Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). I got 2nd Mates 4 years later and migrated to Australia where I have lived since.

I now am retired and live in Perth Western Australia and own a 52' converted prawn trawler aptly named "Mahout" - see photo of "Mahout" in Victoria Dock, Hobart.

The ships I sailed on as a Deck Apprentice were
1 Makrana (Capt Paddy Jackson father of Erin Jackson)
2 Mahout - also Paddy Jackson - Mahout's second voyage.
3 Mathura (2 voyages)
4 Magdapur
5 Maidan
6 Masirah
7 Mathura as 3/O on 22/02/1967 Capt E H Morris
8 Maturata as 3/O on 06/03/1967 Capt Sinclair

Other Captains, Deck Officers & Apprentices I sailed with included Watson Ross, Sam Baxter (1st Mate), John Munroe, Tony Spriggins, Dave Cosker, & Jock McVean, Ian Henderson, Dave Wharton - all apprentices.

Would like to hear from anyone who has any old photos of any of the above vessels or who may remember me.

jim barnes
14th May 2006, 12:17
We never met but welcome to a fantastic site sure you will get a positive result.. (Hippy)

gdynia
14th May 2006, 12:29
Welcome to SN alot of Brocks lads onboard

Hugh MacLean
14th May 2006, 13:26
Welcome aboard, Robert. Enjoy the site.

Rgds

R58484956
14th May 2006, 16:39
Welcome Robert to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

clydesiderman
14th May 2006, 18:25
Hi Bob, I was deck apprentice with you on Magdapur in 1965 or 1966 and we had a trip to Mount Lavinia when ship was in Colombo, and you pulled me from the water when we were swimming off the hotel and were hit by some quite large waves. My e-mail address is in the members list. Please feel free to contact me Douglas Boyd

Johnstokoe
14th May 2006, 18:48
We never sailed together Bob even though I was with the company around the same time but I thought I would let you know that I have spotted some photos of you - and Jock of course - on this website - surf around the gallery. welcome

Stuart Smith
14th May 2006, 19:32
Robert
I got your Private Message and great to be in touch with you again since we were on Mahout together with Ally (Jock) McVean and Dennis Henshaw. You asked what I looked like then (well what can I say?). If you look in my gallery of photographs (the pages up there in the 30s) you will find my stunning face!
Also you will find I have posted three photographs with you in them. I am so glad another contact has been remade. I will let you get familiar with navigating around the site and will contact you again very soon.
Best regards
Stuart Smith (Thumb)

Derek Roger
14th May 2006, 22:27
Hi Robert ! We have a lot in Common although we never sailed together . I was born in South Africa and am also retired . Have a 23 ft cabin cruiser called Mahout !! Look at my postings and Gallery and you shall see pictures of Mahout Markor etc including a number of Engine Room pictures .
Look forward to hearing from you .
Regards Derek Roger

gwzm
14th May 2006, 23:27
Hi Bob,

I certainly remember you from your first trip on Makrana, where I was 2nd R/O. I don't remember the name of the other Deck App. - a tall thin chap with dark hair.

Welcome aboard and enjoy this site.

Salaams,

John

Tony Selman
15th May 2006, 13:49
Isn't this just what is brilliant about this site. An enquiry produces responses almost immediately from people who sailed with you or met you and can even produce photos of you. Splendid, it is no wonder I spend so much of my day checking what is going on here.

Tony Selman
15th May 2006, 13:53
Robert, if you check the gallery of Stuart Smith, amongst others, you will almost certainly find photos of your old ships. Amongst my gallery are a couple of photos of John Munro and there are a couple of photos of John Watson-Ross as well in other Galleries - try Michael James as a starting point.

gwzm
15th May 2006, 23:57
Hi Robert,
I forgot to mention that there's a photo of Makrana and other Brocklebank memerobilia in my members gallery - take a look under my username gwzm.

All the best,

John

David Byrne
20th May 2006, 10:13
Bob,

How pleasant to hear from you. We sailed together on the Masirah in late 1965, early 1966. I was transferred in Calcutta to Mahronda - they needed a victim for the US Gulf trip.

When I saw your smiling face on various photos on the site they brought to mind immediately your happy expression when you recounted that your last school report was pretty well an academic disaster only rescued by the comment 'however, he is an excellent horseman'. I seem to remember that this was something to do with riding your horse across the pitch during the annual pukkah cricket match?

Like your boat.

David Byrne

Aldinga
20th May 2006, 13:31
Hi Robert

The “Masirah” during her pre-delivery trials 1957

Ron

Robert Stork
23rd May 2006, 10:44
Hello David
Thank you for contacting me. I think I am suffering from "Old Timers" disease because I can't put a face to the name. Was I the senior app or were you?
I have recently moved house here in Perth and there is a lot of "stuff" including old photos still in packing cases. I think I have some old photos of Masirah days which may prove to be of interest.
What did you do after you & I sailed together?
Would love to hear your story.
Best wishes
Robert Stork

Bob,

How pleasant to hear from you. We sailed together on the Masirah in late 1965, early 1966. I was transferred in Calcutta to Mahronda - they needed a victim for the US Gulf trip.

When I saw your smiling face on various photos on the site they brought to mind immediately your happy expression when you recounted that your last school report was pretty well an academic disaster only rescued by the comment 'however, he is an excellent horseman'. I seem to remember that this was something to do with riding your horse across the pitch during the annual pukkah cricket match?

Like your boat.

David Byrne

DerekT
23rd May 2006, 19:14
David,

Hi, I hope my memory serves me correct, did we sail together on Maipura in the first half of 1965. You were my senior apprentice and there was a band on the ship, you played piano and 3rd mate played the "drums" I can't remember who played the "double bass". Have put a photo of you (I hope) and 3rd mate in the lifeboat, with a couple of others, perhaps goping to the beach?
My apologies if it isn't you.
DerekT

David Byrne
26th May 2006, 01:05
Derek,

How good to make contact! Yes, I have to plead guilty to being your 'mate' on the Maipura - our little band of bruvvers was known as The Arabian Nights - as I recall it because it was formed in moments of boredom anchored off Jeddah. The band was the brainchild of the second mate who claimed to have played with Freddie and the Dreamers (aside - I note that little jumping Freddie died last week). The deal was wherever we played in Ceylon, our target venue, they gave us free beer, I think it was to try to silence us.
In the event, we could drink far more beer than they reckoned and made us leave the country eventually.
I recall that you were then known as Kink - fortuantely not because of any strange sexual tendencies, but because you were a fan of the Kinks.
My piano playing has scarcely improved over the years and people still give me beer to go away.

We must make contact. I leave in Newcastle now and pretend to be a naval architect.

David Byrne

David Byrne
26th May 2006, 01:22
Hello Bob,

Yes, I know about senior moments. But I do recall that when we sailed on the Masirah you were the senior apprentice and I was your willing stooge (sorry, junior apprentice).

You asked for my story and I will resist the natural inclination to write a great volume: the short version is I was very lucky - I got as far as First Mate, sailing with Cunard on the North Atlantic and then some middle trade/home trade stuff with people like Stephenson Clarkes - came ashore and got a degree and then married the person who is now my 'manager' - worked in shipbuilding - got another degree in naval architecture - became a sort of ship research person - became a respectable naval architect/nautical type - did an MBO on my company and my Group bought Stephenson Clarke (!) - now do interesting marine work worldwide, including Australia (so keep the family silver locked away!).

I do remember our little time together fondly, I was just beginning to work out how it all worked, after a fairly average start to my career - you were good fun and a great encouragement.

Best regards,

David Byrne

Derek Roger
26th May 2006, 01:34
Gentlemen !
I did my first trip deep sea as engineer appretice on the Maipura signing on on 22/7/65. So must have just missed you ! I was also a member of the Arabian Knights ( Played the bass { tea chest } when the electrician Harry Alison was not sober enough or not in the mood to perform ! )
2 nd Mate played the Guitar ( electric ) and was pretty good . His name was Derek Peters . Old man was "Pem " and mate was Taffy Roberts . R/O was Harry Jefferson and he sang in the band ( mostly literal translations of pop songs into Hindi ) Cant remember the 3rd Mates name .
Chief engineer was Pat Morris ; 2nd John Bateman ; 3rd John Hutchison ; ex third John Batey ( commander Kite ! because of his RAF style moustache ) 4thEng Ray Palfreeman . 5th eng John Smith from ; Boro' Myself and Martin ( Paddy ) clarke from Larne .
QMs were Murdo McKay ; Willie McKenzie and A Big Cockney Chap . Chippy I dont recollect his name but think he was also from Boro .
Chief Steward was Ben Fennemore and 2nd Brush was Mike Voisey .
Willie was the ships Barber and would cut for 2 cans of Tennants !

Oh Happy Days !!!!!! Derek

David Byrne
26th May 2006, 01:49
Derek,

Thanks for the crew list for Maipura in 1965 - I don't know how you kept all the names in mind, but it is great to recall them all.

I didn't know that the unique musical quality of the Arabian Nights was somehow reproduced after I left the ship - tell me there was some reduced quality.....

I do recall visiting Maipura in Djibouti, I think, in mid/late 1965 to give a final farewell concert - they were still giving me beer to go away.

I later sailed with Taffy Roberts when I was acting third mate - what a lovely guy; not entirely a stranger to gin and bitter lemon, as I dimly recall, through a glass darkly.

David Byrne

japottinger
26th May 2006, 10:57
Sailed with Harry Allison on Manipur when he was 2nd Elec., great lad and good shipmate.