Crime on a cruise ship ( QM2)

Frank P
15th May 2006, 20:11
I noticed on the BBC text (yesterday), that there has been a suspicious death of a crewmember onboard the QM2. It said that a Filipino crewmember had died with serious head injuries (he died on the way to hospital in Holland), and that British detectives were flying to Bergen (Norway) to interview another Filipino crewmember about the incident.

Frank

BMW Simon
16th May 2006, 01:05
I noticed on the BBC text (yesterday), that there has been a suspicious death of a crewmember onboard the QM2. It said that a Filipino crewmember had died with serious head injuries (he died on the way to hospital in Holland), and that British detectives were flying to Bergen (Norway) to interview another Filipino crewmember about the incident.

FrankDo you think that there could be underllying social & cultural issues that are negleted in the pursuit of cheap labour??

Frank P
16th May 2006, 12:00
Do you think that there could be underllying social & cultural issues that are negleted in the pursuit of cheap labour??

Simon, I think that you have a point there.
With there being so many crew (100's) with different social & cultural backgrounds, they are more likely to form social groups based on where they come from, there is a fair chance that there will be problems, but in this case both people involved were Filipino.

In the 1970's when I was onboard the Royal Viking Star, sometimes we had around 30 different crew nationalities onboard, the biggest single nationality was Norwegian, 95% of the crew were European and we all seemed to mix and get on OK.

Frank

fred henderson
16th May 2006, 12:40
The report that I read stated that the two guys got into a fight, one was floored and hit his head on the deck/equipment and suffered a fractured skull. Could happen on any ship, to any nationality.

Fred

Frank P
16th May 2006, 13:46
The report that I read stated that the two guys got into a fight, one was floored and hit his head on the deck/equipment and suffered a fractured skull. Could happen on any ship, to any nationality.

Fred

I agree with you Fred, it "Could happen on any ship, to any nationality". But did it?

I was at sea for 10 years on 9 different ships and we never had a crewmember die in such circumstances.

Frank

Wild Rover
16th May 2006, 14:10
I read there was a hammer involved.

gdynia
16th May 2006, 14:21
It happened also on a well know British Company in the early 80,s when vessel was moored up for 6 months out in SE Asia. Guy struck his head on a metal foot rail when he was punched and fell down in Ships Bar.

rstimaru
16th May 2006, 15:45
It seems that ship can find trouble any were, She seems to be ( dare i say it jinxed ) Bob

BMW Simon
17th May 2006, 00:58
Unfortunatly Cunard would not be able to afford the soloution as P.& O. did with their jinx out here on the Aussie coast!! LOL

Simon.

Alan Hill
17th May 2006, 17:11
And as of this morning/last night a 21 year old male passenger is missing at sea from a cruise ship? Alan Hill Bridgeport, Pa. USA