Oropesa

Fairfield
9th September 2004, 12:55
She was the second of two,her sister being OROYA,completed in 1978 by Lithgow of Port Glasgow and is seen here entering drydock for pre trials work.She later was sold to Hong Kong interests and renamed MERCHANT PRINCIPAL and scrapped as LADY DANIELLE in 2001.

tanker
12th September 2004, 18:51
Her sister OROYA was SCRAPPED as LADY ARYETTE in the same year.

Fairfield
13th September 2004, 07:42
Her sister OROYA was SCRAPPED as LADY ARYETTE in the same year.
I see you have returned!Hope you had a good time.Look forward to seeing your photographs.
I have shots of OROYA when building and also when they had the MERCHANT names.Will look for them.

tanker
13th September 2004, 15:22
Thank Fairfield all is ok i hope that the cold seasons take good picture framež!!!!!!!!!!!
ciao GP

DMc
22nd March 2005, 12:12
Hi
I found this forum and thread while looking for pics of the Oroya - I was at her launch (only launch I've ever seen). I would be very interested in pictures of her launch if you have them.

Best wishes
David McArthur

Fairfield
22nd March 2005, 12:38
Sorry,David I don/t have any shots of her launch I/m afraid but will ask around some local friends from Greenock/Port Glasgow areas.However,such is the wide scope of this site,someone out there just might have been there.......

Paul

Fairfield
9th May 2005, 07:51
When OROPESA was sold on,she went to Hong Kong interests and was renamed MERCHANT PRINCIPAL.These are a couple of shots taken by Bill Court in Melbourne.

Pat McCardle
20th June 2005, 22:29
Used to be in Avonmouth with these ships in the late 70's. We used to think they were a weird combination of Valle cranes? & mast houses.

japottinger
22nd June 2005, 20:32
Re tall mast houses, the last Holt/Elder Dempster ships built by Scotts' at Greenock had something of same design.

japottinger
22nd June 2005, 20:33
PS possibly with view to carrying containers on deck

iain mac
24th June 2005, 11:57
I sailed on the Oropesa when she was on the Falklands/Brazil run,with her name changed to Merchant Principal.She was one of the finest ships I
ever sailed on her build quality was first class and the accomodation was
excellent especially for a ship built in the 70's.the only fault she had was
that she was very tender even with no deck cargo

David Wilcockson
7th November 2005, 22:43
Was there any special reason for the heavy lift gear being off-set to starboard on these two vessels. Remember seeing one of them off Greenock in the late 70`s, fitting out maybe, not classic lines but fine looking ships anyway.

R58484956
8th November 2005, 11:08
Welcome to the site Dave Mc enjoy the site and all it has to offer, you are now with the sea loving fraternity as you can see.

pauldickinson
12th May 2008, 04:16
I sailed on the Oropesa when she was on the Falklands/Brazil run,with her name changed to Merchant Principal.She was one of the finest ships I
ever sailed on her build quality was first class and the accomodation was
excellent especially for a ship built in the 70's.the only fault she had was
that she was very tender even with no deck cargo

i was second cook on the Oropesa for three trips to S America about 1980 roughly, been trying to find people from there to no avail. Steve Ibbotson from Manchester was second steward. Anne Goldstein was a stewardess on there, any info appreciated

Orbitaman
12th May 2008, 07:22
PS possibly with view to carrying containers on deck

The high deck houses were desigend so that containers could be stowed three high on the hatch covers with the derricks stowed in the horizontal position.

jeraylin
26th August 2009, 14:20
i was second cook on the Oropesa for three trips to S America about 1980 roughly, been trying to find people from there to no avail. Steve Ibbotson from Manchester was second steward. Anne Goldstein was a stewardess on there, any info appreciated

Paul - I was on Oropesa as deck cadet in 1980 and did one trip avonmouth/birkenhead/kingston/panama/west coast/panama/kingston/avonmouth/birkenhead. The old man deep sea was called Williams? had his missus on board. The 2/O and 3/O were nincompoops (not allowed to call them wallys on this site) one other deck cadet was a scot - Alan from Eyemouth. Alan and I did not fit in well cos we were from Houlders. I remember Anne and there was another. Bosun was off the pool from Liverpool. Best I can recall I'm afraid.