Rum Ration

norman.r
22nd May 2006, 18:40
When I was with Elders during most of the 1950's it was standard practice to issue all of the crew with a daily tot of rum at the same time as issuing the anti malaria tablet, paludrine. When the rum was issued it had been reduced from its full strength and was not too potent.On one occasion the second steward,who normally doled out the tot, was out of action due to a physical altercation with a member of the crew and the chief steward took over the rum issue at the last minute. Somehow he omitted to thin out the issue and I knocked it back in the usual manner. I was unable to speak for several minutes as it was so strong.
The rum issue was I believe a bequest in the will of a of an understanding lady but it was eventualy withdrawn in the late 50's.
Happy days!

John Rogers
22nd May 2006, 19:01
I bet it was Pussers Rum.
John

KIWI
22nd May 2006, 21:40
If I remember rightly P&O electricians were issued a bottle of rum when manning Suez Canal light.Probably dated from days when light was hung over bow but was still acceptable when light in compartment behind bow crest. Kiwi

jim barnes
22nd May 2006, 23:28
remember the rum issue on shell tankers on a Sunday 12 noon had to say your name after taking the shot, still got mine although under age at the time deck boy to sos. bequeathed by Dutch Queen Willamina i think? (Thumb)

scooby do
23rd May 2006, 10:01
During the war my father was appointed ''Rum Bosun'' on royal a navy ship . I still have his silver measuring tankard. When I was a youngster he used to make me drink, Raw egg, milk, and a large measure of rum before i went to school, I was only 7 at the time. They thought i had a learning disability. Actualy I was as pi--ed as a rat,

My daughter got married saturday I walked her down the isle. After that i drank rum to her future and the memory of my old man ex Royal Marine.

R58484956
23rd May 2006, 11:25
Correct Kiwi P&O did issue a bottle of rum as you say. Trust you are now OK.

vix
24th May 2006, 09:44
remember the rum issue on shell tankers on a Sunday 12 noon had to say your name after taking the shot, still got mine although under age at the time deck boy to sos. bequeathed by Dutch Queen Willamina i think? (Thumb)
Hi Jim, I'm sure we got ours on a Saturday on San Veronico...but just as enjoyable...see seperate thread (I think I was in conversation with exMermaid??). Vix

eldersuk
12th June 2006, 23:50
During the war my father was appointed ''Rum Bosun'' on royal a navy ship . I still have his silver measuring tankard. When I was a youngster he used to make me drink, Raw egg, milk, and a large measure of rum before i went to school, I was only 7 at the time. They thought i had a learning disability. Actualy I was as pi--ed as a rat,

My daughter got married saturday I walked her down the isle. After that i drank rum to her future and the memory of my old man ex Royal Marine.

Maybe the eggs were a bit off??

billyboy
13th June 2006, 00:52
story i heard was a good rum bosun had a clean thumb. the amount of rum his thumb displaced in the measure meant there was some left over for his session later, an andrew trick i heard.

Derek Roger
13th June 2006, 01:01
Moss tankers had a Rum ration ; Brocklebanks did not even although we were owned by the same company .
Also there was exrta rum for the deck crew when tank cleaning ( Think it was so they would not know whether they were affected by the gases or the Rum ?)

Tom Haywood
13th June 2006, 04:07
I am sure that NZSCo had a rum issue in 1965

alan ward
20th October 2011, 11:33
Sugar Line owned a rum distillery called Fernandes and they made one called VAT19 which was free on board.At least it was until our OM stopped the practice because we were all pissed most of the time.
quote`What`s wong with the officers on this ship?all they do is play cwib and dwink wum all the time`...the w`s are in the right place,he had a speech impediment

bryanm
20th October 2011, 16:54
Hi Derek
The chief cook in Brocklebanks used to get a daily tot of rum
for going in the fridges. The usual practice was to give him
a bottle every couple of weeks.
Regards
Bryan

joebuckham
20th October 2011, 17:10
Sugar Line owned a rum distillery called Fernandes and they made one called VAT19 which was free on board.At least it was until our OM stopped the practice because we were all pissed most of the time.
quote`What`s wong with the officers on this ship?all they do is play cwib and dwink wum all the time`...the w`s are in the right place,he had a speech impediment

hi alan, fernandes was a separate entity and without a doubt a very fine rum indeed. the distillery which was part of the tate and lyle group was caroni and was also a great tot but i never got a free bottle when i was there(Thumb)

sparkie2182
20th October 2011, 17:15
Another R.N. trick was to insert an old 6d "tanner" coin into the bottom of the measuring cup.
On the large ships carrying Royal Marines, the rum was often issued with a Marine
keeping a careful eye on the proceedings.

sparkie2182
20th October 2011, 17:20
With respect to the above quote..........Post # 12.

Perhaps it was the same man as....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZrM-fToCk&feature=related

Bob gibson
20th October 2011, 17:58
The Benboats still had a rationof rum in the seventies, sure it was four bells rum? I could never mix beer and spirits together (a chaser) the scots lads were born to it! as a juinor ,the chief once said to me, Iv'e helped many a man back aboard this ship, but it's the first time Iv'e helped one off it

dom
21st October 2011, 11:33
Vat 19,are we talking about the same stuff bought in Trinadad, Not a drop is sold till 7 days old

Union Jack
21st October 2011, 14:22
On the large ships carrying Royal Marines, the rum was often issued with a Marine keeping a careful eye on the proceedings.

Sparkie - Not half as close an eye as the Officer of the Day, who was responsible for overseeing the whole operation from drawing the Spirit Room keys to the proper disposal of the ullage!

Jack

alan ward
24th October 2011, 10:20
Vat 19,are we talking about the same stuff bought in Trinadad, Not a drop is sold till 7 days old

Possibly,I`m not exactly confident about who owned Fernandes.Perhaps no-one would admit to it,but because it was free I always assumed the information was correct.I loved it.

septiclecky
24th October 2011, 12:41
On the large ships carrying Royal Marines, the rum was often issued with a Marine keeping a careful eye on the proceedings.

Sparkie - Not half as close an eye as the Officer of the Day, who was responsible for overseeing the whole operation from drawing the Spirit Room keys to the proper disposal of the ullage!

Jack

Which was what removal to the Wardroom pantry?[=P](Ouch)