Karlander Kangaroo Line

david
23rd May 2006, 01:19
I came across a reference to this in a book about the Wilhelmsen line and its association with the A'asian trades.
Can any old salts give some info please.
Regards
David D. (*))

Jan Hendrik
23rd May 2006, 01:40
Our Norwegian friend Knut posted few lines about this shipping company:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2161&highlight=karlander

John B.
24th May 2006, 01:42
I remember seeing Karlander Kangaroo Line ships in NZ ports in the 1980's, they operated a breakbulk service with time charter tonnage between USA/Australia/New Zealand, if I remember correctly the ships were geared bulkcarrier type loading coiled steel and timber ex NZ. After a few years they withdrew the service due low freight rates and consequent losses.
Regards John B.

Chillytoes
5th January 2007, 10:26
Karlanders had two ships built at Adelaide Ship Construction in about 1973. They were "Cape Arnhem" and "Cape York". Think they were the largest and probably two of the last ships built by ASC. I seem to recall they traded to PNG and only ran under Karlander's subsidury Australian Territory Liner Services for a short time before being sold to BHP and re-named "Iron Arnhem" and "Iron York". What their subsequent histories are - dunno. Anyone got anything on them?

ernhelenbarrett
8th January 2007, 11:13
I sailed as R/O on the Cape Arnhem in late 1973 on the Sydney NSW run up
to Brisbane Townsville and Cairns for loading general cargo for unloading at
Groote Eylandt and Gove and as there were no Wharfies at those unloading ports the crew did all the discharging as it was cheaper to do this than fly Wharfies from Darwin. For some reason they reckoned the "Sparks" was very
mechanical minded and i had the job of driving the fork-lift truck down the holds, very hot and sticky job in that part of the world. The crowd almost went on strike at my first attempt of driving as i lifted a whole load of pallets
down and was very strictly told ONE pallet at at a time as we were paid by the hour!!. As reported they later were sold to BHP and did the ore runs and also went on the trans Tasman run
Rgds Ern Barrett