Corbeach

Nelson
24th May 2006, 13:02
I spent several months as R/O on the "Corbeach" in the early 60`s. Really good little ship. We were up and down the east coast, and used to do trips to Setubal in Portugal, with coal ex Blyth, or NE, and return to UK with ore for I can`t remember where.

Aldinga
25th May 2006, 02:15
Hello Nelson
“Corbeach” William Cory & Son
Built by: 1957 Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd.
2106 Gt 2760 dwt 270 x 39 x 18 British Polar 8 Cylinder
1040 bhp capable of 11k

Ron

Aldinga
25th May 2006, 02:27
There is photo of her in the Gallery

www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16513/sort/1/cat/517/page/1

paul0510
25th May 2006, 16:33
Hi Nelson,

spent a very interesting time as 2nd Mate aboard her sister ship the 'Corbank' (see my avatar) in the 70s cruising the Meddy but don't have any recollection of a Sparks being aboard. Probably was, but in comparison to my other rather extrovert shipmates he may have just been keeping a low profile. Arguably one of the best ships I ever sailed on.

spartan
25th May 2006, 17:02
Corbeach
Renamed Kappa Pioneer 72,
Revilo 73
Romney 75
Assos 75
Astronaut 78
Sank 13th December 1979 after developing leaks on voyage Larnaca/Beira.

Corbank
Sold 1977 name unchanged
Aground on rocks 14th January 1982 at Jounieh Lebanon after striking submerged object on voyage Chekka/ Iskenderun

From Black Diamond Fleets by Norman Middlemiss

beedeesea
25th May 2006, 21:14
Hi Nelson,

I agree with you about the Corbeach, she was my favourite of the ships I sailed on. I was R/O on her 63/64, like you, did a mixture of trips Blyth to Thames/Medway, as well as that round trip you mentioned; if I recall correctly it was Hull-Setubal-Ghent and back. Great days indeed......do you remember the "Seven Stars"? That's where I made my HQ!
Thanks also to you other guys for the extra information, it's greatly appreciated.

Harry Nicholson
25th May 2006, 22:52
I was sparks on Corburn for a few weeks in 1956. The captain was extremely variable in character, he had been chucked off cable ships, one was never sure what would happen next. When we got to Battersea the cook would send the boy ashore for fish and chips for our dinner. We broke down off the Longships, the hatches were covered most of the time, we were going sideways onto the rocks and I thought my end had come, later we broke down just as we passed Dover and blocked the cross channel traffic for a good while... they seemed irritated. We used to take coal to the glue factory in Plymouth and tied up next to a huge pile of verminous and smelly bones. There was a Dortmunder beerglass in my cabin, I still have it.

bert thompson
26th May 2006, 11:22
Harry
Was R/O on the Corburn from 7/8/57 to 6/2/59.
Joined her at the Tyne entrance outward bound. The R/O had fallen asleep and missed the Newcastle station. There was a canary in my cabin but it dissapeared at London
There were six different Captains during my time there. Think I know the one you referred to.
Regards Bert

Harry Nicholson
26th May 2006, 14:21
Hello Bert, you did well staying so long on Corburn. She was a smart little ship. That skipper's name was Anderson, sometimes he would leave Bible tracts in my cabin and shortly after that might swing to the other extreme.
I looked at your profile but there is nothing there, I was disappointed. It would be great if chaps would add just a bit to their profiles.
Best wishes
Harry

bert thompson
26th May 2006, 17:50
Hary
I put in a very dtailed profile of all my ships and time in RAF Place of birth etc.Should be there somewhere
Regards
Bert

beedeesea
26th May 2006, 21:56
Hi Nelson,

Hadn't seen your post before I replied to your msg. Re "Griff" and Jimmy, I remember that they got a group of us barred from a pub somewhere; Griff had asked for a cloth to wipe the darts scoreboard.....when they wouldn't pay attention he used their plush window drapes to do the job. Their were lots of other characters on the colliers at that time, who I heard mentioned in conversations but never came across e.g., "Flash Farrant", and "Russian Johnnie". Most of us R/Os would not have been long enough in that trade to encounter many of them, but I'm sure there must be other crew members out there with a host of memories.

vchiu
28th May 2006, 16:03
James Pottinger made some very good drawings of the Corbeach in 1/100.
I enlarged them in 1/50 that makes a nice 1,68 metre model. Wishes to build her at this scale, but lack time to do so.

Does anyone have some more detailed pictures? I would be happy to get more picture of the deck, superstructures, front castle and the poop.

I saw the picture on the gallery, already. a good overall picture.

Apart the Corbank, had the corbeach other sister-ship(s)?

Thank you for your help

Miketyneside
9th February 2009, 16:00
Hi Nelson,

Hadn't seen your post before I replied to your msg. Re "Griff" and Jimmy, I remember that they got a group of us barred from a pub somewhere; Griff had asked for a cloth to wipe the darts scoreboard.....when they wouldn't pay attention he used their plush window drapes to do the job. Their were lots of other characters on the colliers at that time, who I heard mentioned in conversations but never came across e.g., "Flash Farrant", and "Russian Johnnie". Most of us R/Os would not have been long enough in that trade to encounter many of them, but I'm sure there must be other crew members out there with a host of memories.

My father, Charles Sleightolme was first mate to Griff in the late fifties and then took over as Master on Griffs retirement until his own retirement in 1971.
I remember visiting the Corbeach in 1960 in Blyth and the guy I think you are referring to as Jimmy would have been Jimmy Cole the Chief Steward who came from Blyth. I then spent my school summer holidays in 1965 & 66 on the Corbeach, mainly going from Sunderland North Dock to Bowaters Quay, Northfleet on the Thames. Jimmy Cole was still there. First Mate was a Paul Stainsbury(Southerner) and the R/O was a lad in his early twenties from Sunderland (the Argo Frigate was his local pub).

beedeesea
9th February 2009, 20:16
My father, Charles Sleightolme was first mate to Griff in the late fifties and then took over as Master on Griffs retirement until his own retirement in 1971.
I remember visiting the Corbeach in 1960 in Blyth and the guy I think you are referring to as Jimmy would have been Jimmy Cole the Chief Steward who came from Blyth. I then spent my school summer holidays in 1965 & 66 on the Corbeach, mainly going from Sunderland North Dock to Bowaters Quay, Northfleet on the Thames. Jimmy Cole was still there. First Mate was a Paul Stainsbury(Southerner) and the R/O was a lad in his early twenties from Sunderland (the Argo Frigate was his local pub).

Thanks for that. If it was the same Jimmy (C/Steward), he lived in Blyth, but came originally from Buckie. Stansberry was Mate under Griff when I was on her; he was from Banbury, and was referred to in his absence by Griff as "that gentleman f-----g farmer". You don't happen to remember the name of the C/Eng at that time , do you? Think he was from South Shields.

Cutsplice
9th February 2009, 22:24
What a great little vessel, I was on her during the last couple of months before she was sold to a Greek outfit. We were trading west coast to the continent mainly stone from Newlyn out and grain in, sometimes sulphur from the continent to Garston. We got caught up with the National dock Strike in 1972 in Liverpool, we were in the Brunswick Dock with grain on the Friday lunch time the dockers had a meeting and went to the pub and on stike, the National dock strike commenced on the Monday.
We remained in Liverpool for the duration of the strike we only had about 3 hrs of discharging to go to finish. The sparkie from Dublin cant remember his name, hired a private plane from Liverpool to Paris he piloted it and went to see the French classic horserace at Longchamp, he invited me to go with him I thought he was joking. It was only when he was away all day that I found out he was in earnest, when he returned we checked his licence and hire details, it was genuine. He must have been a Sparkie for a hobby and not for money.
We handed the vessel over to the new owners in Cardiff, first we knew we were sold was when the Agent boarded us in the locks as we entered port. He said the new crew were in the MN Hotel and would join the ship on completion of discharge. Our Bosun was a Welsh Geordie had been on board for 14 yrs and had no leave for about 7 years, he was on an emergency tax code to pay back taxes he owed, he had a wife and daughter in Sunderland but no real home. He was a very sad and broken man when I left,I did really feel for him as the Corbeach was his home. I often think how he fared in life after the Corbeach went.
The strange thing about the Corbeach is that I cant remember names but can remember where everyone came from, I can even remember their faces but their names is a mystery.

holland25
10th February 2009, 01:18
Apart from the Corbank, had the corbeach other sister-ship(s)?

From the looks of her she is a lot like the Corbrae. I sailed on her during the summer of 1957 and really enjoyed it. The Captain was I think called Galloway and came from Herne Bay. The second mate was a man called Barker.

WilliamH
10th February 2009, 17:03
I sailed as 3rd eng on the Corbank and Corbeach in early sixties, they were sister ships. The were two other motor colliers of about the same size but they were not the same as the Bank and yhe Beach. They were Corbrae and Corburn, I think the latter two were a bit older than the Bank and the Beach.

beedeesea
10th February 2009, 19:40
"Our Bosun was a Welsh Geordie had been on board for 14 yrs and had no leave for about 7 years, he was on an emergency tax code to pay back taxes he owed, he had a wife and daughter in Sunderland but no real home. He was a very sad and broken man when I left,I did really feel for him as the Corbeach was his home. I often think how he fared in life after the Corbeach went.
The strange thing about the Corbeach is that I cant remember names but can remember where everyone came from, I can even remember their faces but their names is a mystery."

Yes, I remember the chap.......a good-humoured, easy-going bloke; called Taff, naturally.

spartan
10th February 2009, 19:48
Corbrae built 1952
Corburn built 1953
Corbank built1956
Corbeach built 1957
Spartan

beedeesea
10th February 2009, 19:53
I sailed as 3rd eng on the Corbank and Corbeach in early sixties, they were sister ships. The were two other motor colliers of about the same size but they were not the same as the Bank and yhe Beach. They were Corbrae and Corburn, I think the latter two were a bit older than the Bank and the Beach.

I joined Corbeach in the summer of 63, on the same day as a replacement 3rd Engineer named Brian Kirkley from South Shields. We went on to become drinking buddies......often wondered what happened to him afterwards. You might well have been his predecessor?

Miketyneside
11th February 2009, 11:05
Apart from the Corbank, had the corbeach other sister-ship(s)?

From the looks of her she is a lot like the Corbrae. I sailed on her during the summer of 1957 and really enjoyed it. The Captain was I think called Galloway and came from Herne Bay. The second mate was a man called Barker.

The Corbank was the only sistership to the Corbeach. The Corburn and Corbrae were sister ships althought they had a slightly different accomadation superstructure aft. They were built earlier than the Beach and Bank. These four ships were the only all accomadation aft ships that Cory's had before the Corchester came alongin the seventies.

Miketyneside
11th February 2009, 11:52
Thanks for that. If it was the same Jimmy (C/Steward), he lived in Blyth, but came originally from Buckie. Stansberry was Mate under Griff when I was on her; he was from Banbury, and was referred to in his absence by Griff as "that gentleman f-----g farmer". You don't happen to remember the name of the C/Eng at that time , do you? Think he was from South Shields.

The C/Eng on my first trip was a Scot. I remember well as we were coming down the Thames around midnight returning North and I was in the engine room watching him at the telegraph and controls when I landed flat on my backside. He picked me up and told me to get upstairs. We had hit a barge that had slipped it's moorings. We came back to Sunderland with a 9 inch square hole in the fcsle. On arrival in the Sunderland there were orders waiting for the Chief posting him to one of the "Pass" boats. His replacement on the next trip was a Geordie(about 40 I guess) tubby build with dark wavy hair.

This is the same Jimmy(C/Steward). I can still picture him standing at the pantry hatch in the saloon serving up the grub and keeping everyone up to date with news and test score. After my father had retired his last C/Steward on the Beach came to visit him at home and when I gave him a lift home(he lived in laygate flats, South Shields) he told me that he had replaced Jimmy on the Corbeach when Jim had had a nervous breakdown.
I came across Jim one day on a visit to Blyth in 1975/76. There was no mistaking those chubby cheeks. He was working as a car park attendant near the beach.

beedeesea
11th February 2009, 20:02
The C/Eng on my first trip was a Scot. I remember well as we were coming down the Thames around midnight returning North and I was in the engine room watching him at the telegraph and controls when I landed flat on my backside. He picked me up and told me to get upstairs. We had hit a barge that had slipped it's moorings. We came back to Sunderland with a 9 inch square hole in the fcsle. On arrival in the Sunderland there were orders waiting for the Chief posting him to one of the "Pass" boats. His replacement on the next trip was a Geordie(about 40 I guess) tubby build with dark wavy hair.

This is the same Jimmy(C/Steward). I can still picture him standing at the pantry hatch in the saloon serving up the grub and keeping everyone up to date with news and test score. After my father had retired his last C/Steward on the Beach came to visit him at home and when I gave him a lift home(he lived in laygate flats, South Shields) he told me that he had replaced Jimmy on the Corbeach when Jim had had a nervous breakdown.
I came across Jim one day on a visit to Blyth in 1975/76. There was no mistaking those chubby cheeks. He was working as a car park attendant near the beach.

Thanks very much for all that, mate. An excellent pen picture of Jimmy. Wish I could enjoy it all over again!

james hansell
13th April 2012, 16:25
Hi Nelson,

I agree with you about the Corbeach, she was my favourite of the ships I sailed on. I was R/O on her 63/64, like you, did a mixture of trips Blyth to Thames/Medway, as well as that round trip you mentioned; if I recall correctly it was Hull-Setubal-Ghent and back. Great days indeed......do you remember the "Seven Stars"? That's where I made my HQ!
Thanks also to you other guys for the extra information, it's greatly appreciated.

Hi beedeesea I was deckboy on the corbeach from 16/5/63 to 24/8/63

I remember the Seven Stars in Blythe great little pub Jim Hansell

beedeesea
13th April 2012, 20:13
Hi beedeesea I was deckboy on the corbeach from 16/5/63 to 24/8/63

I remember the Seven Stars in Blythe great little pub Jim Hansell

Thanks for that Jim; we must have sailed together at that rate. Sorry though, the name doesn't ring any bells.

Brian

beedeesea
27th January 2014, 16:16
I found two (not very good) photos of some Corbeach crew members, while going through old papers last night. They would have been taken in 63 or 64, and three of the people mentioned on this thread are included; Paul Stansberry, Jimmy Cole, and Brian Kirkley. They are in the "Members' Faces" section of the gallery.

Brian

WilliamH
28th January 2014, 09:50
I found two (not very good) photos of some Corbeach crew members, while going through old papers last night. They would have been taken in 63 or 64, and three of the people mentioned on this thread are included; Paul Stansberry, Jimmy Cole, and Brian Kirkley. They are in the "Members' Faces" section of the gallery.

Brian

Brian, any chance of posting them, they might jog my memory.

beedeesea
28th January 2014, 11:47
WilliamH,

I posted both of them in the Members' Faces section yesterday. Or you can go the Gallery and do a search for "Corbeach crew". Another name I omitted was 2nd Mate Bob Wilson from Berwick. Let's know if you recognise any of them.

Brian