Wellpark - rescue of Vietnamese Boat People

mmd-denholm
24th May 2006, 16:54
I have been contacted by a student at Brunel Uni who is researching the above. She would like to make contact with any of the crew with a view to conducting an interview to aid her research.
Can anyone help.

Margaret Dalzell
PA to Chairman
J & J Denholm Ltd

email deleted to avoid spam

muldonaich
24th May 2006, 17:59
hi margaret if you email me i will give you the phone no of the cook who was on there at the time sadly he has passed away but his wife might be able to help i think some of them kept in touch with them regards kevin.

John Cassels
24th May 2006, 18:46
If you want, I have a copy of the Denholm News covering the incident.

Kevin ; who was cook, Thought I knew most of the crowd on board at the
time.

JC

muldonaich
25th May 2006, 05:40
hi john, it was pat croarkin i sailed with him a few times regards kevin.

muldonaich
25th May 2006, 05:42
hi john hector connel was old man was he not?? kev

R58484956
25th May 2006, 08:18
Welcome mmd to the site I am sure something will come of your enquiry.

non descript
25th May 2006, 11:28
Margaret, a warm welcome to the site and I’m sure that one or more of the SN Members will be able to assist you, and I am sure that the student will appreciate your kindness in trying to open the door to her research.

In keeping with the moves we have made previously, I have deleted your e-mail address ,as we have found the open posting of addresses does cause some problems. If and when any of the Members wish to make contact with you, it is a relatively easy operation for them to send either a P/M or an email via the system

Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Tonga

John Cassels
26th May 2006, 09:38
Kevin,

That's a shame. Didn't know that Pat had passed away. He was one of the best
cooks I ever sailed with and was always very proud (and protective)of his craft.
Sailed with him on the GTV's and also on the Caledonian Forest.

Yes , Hector Connel was master on the Wellpark at the time of the incident.

JC

Gulpers
26th May 2006, 14:01
Margaret,

One of my neighbours (David Nelson) was 2/0 or 3/O on Wellpark at the time. He has an album of photographs and thank you letters from some of the Vietnamese. Send me a PM or email via SN and I'll see what we can sort out for you! (Thumb)

Rgds,

mmd-denholm
26th May 2006, 16:23
Hi Ray
That's fantastic. The lady's name is Jo Wall and her email address is ************* Have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards
Margaret

Gulpers
26th May 2006, 18:33
Margaret,

I've noted and removed Jo's email address from the public area of SN. I'll certainly try to get David and Jo in touch with each other.
Have a good weekend yourself - unfortunately, I am working! (Thumb)

If any other members can help Jo with her research, give me a PM and I'll pass on her email address.

muldonaich
27th May 2006, 15:09
hi john, i think that was hectors first trip old man did you know wee pat and big dougie had a slight disagreement on one of the gtvs he was cook on the cast husky maiden voyage if you remember wewere all mad about the korean sausages till bob cotter told us it was dog meat it turned out to be true regards kevin.

Joanne
31st May 2006, 21:03
I would like to say a massive thankyou to Margaret from Denholm for her help - this website is great!
As she said I am a student at Brunel University. One of my collleagues at work is of Vietnamese descent and told me the amazing story of how him and his parents left Vietnam in Oct 1978 in a fishing-boat to escape the new Communist regime. Thankfully they were picked up by the Wellpark and given sanctuary by the British and are eternally grateful; many refugees had already drowned in the South China Sea.

I would dearly love to contact any crew who were on the Wellpark when the refugees were rescued. David Nelson sounds a great contact, and the Cook's wife. The captain was indeed Hector Connell and apparently he was only 31 at the time (1978), so it would be great to talk to him too. Any contacts would be much appreciated.

I get the impression I can't put my email address on - let me know if I can! I'm a bit confused about how I contact people on this site...

Many thanks for everyone's interest and help.

Jo

benjidog
31st May 2006, 22:56
Joanne,

We discourage people from putting their email addresses on postings because there are scum out there that have software that scan sites looking for email addresses. Once they get your email address you are likely to get a large quantity of annoying and offensive stuff coming your way including attempts to put viruses on your computer.

SN members will contact you via either putting postings on the threads on the site (such as this one) or sending you a Personal Message (PM) - again through the facilities of the site. You will be made aware that you have a PM by a message when you log on - you can't miss it. PMs are not accessible to hackers so the situation is under your control

If you decide you want to provide individual members with your private email address for any reason you can do this securely via a PM .

I hope this information helps and that you have success with your enquiry.

Regards,

Brian

muldonaich
6th June 2006, 09:57
sent info out by p m did did margaret or joanne get it kevin.

Joanne
6th June 2006, 11:58
Kevin,
No I didn't get any email from you or pm. I haven't heard from Margaret either about info from you... Can you resend?
Thanks very much, jo

muldonaich
7th June 2006, 06:45
sent to you last night regards kevin

Joanne
12th June 2006, 11:13
Thank you so much. Will ring her today...

Joanne
13th June 2006, 19:55
Hi, my name is Joanne and I am a student at Brunel University. At my workplace I am friends with a young man who was rescued in Oct 1978 by the Denholm ship the Wellpark. He was only 4 at the time and his family were all Vietnamese Boat People, escaping life in Vietnam. The family are indebted to the crew and I am researching the story for a college project.
I am trying to track down any crew of the Wellpark at the time, Hector Connell especially who was the captain.
Thankyou for any assistance.
Regards, joanne

lagerstedt
14th June 2006, 05:30
All the best with your search and project. I am sure someone may know something.

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

ruud
14th June 2006, 06:46
Ahoy Joanne,

You will find some crewmembers here and all the best of luck with your searching:

http://www.mowbars.plus.com/W3.html

Joanne
16th June 2006, 11:43
Thanks for that website Ruud.
Can I just ask a basic question which I have no idea about - but you guys will. The cadets that trained on ships such as the Wellpark - are they from the Merchant Navy? In fact do all sailors on cargo ships belong to the Merchant Navy? Sorry, but not being a sea-faring lass I have no idea about such things!

Many thanks, joanne

iain mac
16th June 2006, 12:35
Thanks for that website Ruud.
Can I just ask a basic question which I have no idea about - but you guys will. The cadets that trained on ships such as the Wellpark - are they from the Merchant Navy? In fact do all sailors on cargo ships belong to the Merchant Navy? Sorry, but not being a sea-faring lass I have no idea about such things!

Many thanks, joanne I was on the Wellpark,but Ipaid off in Durban
when she called for bunkers en route from Bahia Blanca to Kaohiusung.We were all M.N. employed by denholm.

willall
17th June 2006, 22:17
joanne,
Give me a couple of days i'll send you pictures of the wellpark it's in the Denholm magazine and I bet the lad in question is there
Will need to scan the pictures and all the info of the rescue.
Willie

willall
17th June 2006, 22:29
Joanne, sailed with Hector on the Chemical Venturer he was Mate (chief officer) then sailed with him on the Dalma again as mate, great guy, don't have a contact number for him.
Willie

Joanne
19th June 2006, 21:16
Will and Iain,
Thanks for your help. Will - I have a photocopy from one of the Vietnamese refugees of the Denholm News, after the event in Oct 78, with photos and Captain Connell's log - is this the same as the one you mean?
If I was going to track down the cadets who were on the Wellpark would it be a good idea to try the training colleges first? Like Glasgow, Portsmouth etc?
Many thanks
joanne

John Cassels
20th June 2006, 08:21
Just a small thought,

Hector Connell came from the Dunoon area. Perhaps a call to the local
newspaper ???.

JC

willall
22nd June 2006, 00:16
Joanne,
Most of the cadets on that ship went through Glasgow college of nautical science (as it was known then) I joined the Wellpark in Adelaide, had 6 months for failing second mates ticket, there were still cadets on there from the rescue.
I had the feeling at the time Hector was not popular, press gave him a glowing report, he did what any one would do, I was proud of him, he took a stand and I think one of the headlines was Captain compassionate, the feeling on the ship was great everyone on board were proud they plucked these guys from a certain death.
The cook at the time was wee Pat the toughest guy I ever sailed with a gent,loaves and fishes does not come into it.He melted with the kids.

airds
23rd June 2006, 00:32
Most of the cadets on that ship went through Glasgow college of nautical science (as it was known then) .

College of Nautical STUDIES

Does a bit of everything now by the looks of this:-
http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk (http://www.glasgow-nautical.ac.uk)

Joanne
25th June 2006, 23:20
Thanks every one for your help. I really have no nautical knowledge so you are all helping a lot.
Kind regards, joanne

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 01:54
hi joanne,
i was one of the cadets in the lifeboat of the wellpark that night.I can remember it as if it were yesterday.Believe Hector Connell lives in Innellan, near Dunoon,Argyll.I know someone who keeps in touch with him, may get his number for you.

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 02:45
Margaret,

One of my neighbours (David Nelson) was 2/0 or 3/O on Wellpark at the time. He has an album of photographs and thank you letters from some of the Vietnamese. Send me a PM or email via SN and I'll see what we can sort out for you! (Thumb)

Rgds,
i was cadet on her at the time, have newspaper clippings still, will dig them out if it helps

Gulpers
1st August 2006, 22:43
One of my neighbours (David Nelson) was 2/0 or 3/O on Wellpark at the time. He has an album of photographs and thank you letters from some of the Vietnamese. Send me a PM or email via SN and I'll see what we can sort out for you!

Unfortunately I suffered a 'Brain Fart' when I posted the above information!

David and I have both spoken to Joanne and I was almost correct. David was 2/O on ANDROS when they were involved in a similar rescue of Vietnamese Boat People.

Sorry for the mistake folks. :@

Joanne
13th August 2006, 19:28
Ray,
I am still going to send you the photocopies of info...I haven't forgotten! Sorry just been so busy researching and trying to hold down a job too. But you will get it soon.
Many thanks for all yr help.
Jo

tugboat142
21st August 2006, 17:48
For those still interested in the Wellpark rescue. there is an write up in my local paper, tonight due to the sad death of the 2nd mate Andrew Griffin aged 55. See:(copy & Paste)
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=151901&command=displayContent&sourceNode=151727&contentPK=15199482&folderPk=86530&pNodeId=151458

regards
Tom
Grimsby

pentlandpirate
26th August 2006, 21:54
Hi,

I was on Wellpark at the time of the rescue. I was a second trip deck cadet and joined Wellpark in Bahia Blanca, Argentina when we crossed the South Atlantic to Durban before heading up to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. On the way we rescued the Vietnamese. I still have 100's of 35mm slides of the event which I am just about to copy to disc. I also have copies of the Denholm Magazine featuring the stories and various other momentoes of the event....copy of the Royal Humane Society Bronze award and a quaich presented by Denholms. The two weeks the refugees were on board were some of the most important memories of my life.

Readers may also be interested to read of the sad death of Andrew Griffin 2/0 just a couple of weeks ago, click linkAndrew Griffin (http://http://www.theadvertiserseries.co.uk/chesterlestreet/news/display.var.874830.0.tribute_paid_to_quiet_hero_of _the_sea.php)

Happy to help if any one wants info.
PP

Gulpers
26th August 2006, 22:06
pentlandpirate,
A warm welcome to the site. I am sure you will have some happy memories re-kindled once you have had a look through our threads.
Wellpark and the Vietnamese! Could I ask you to send a PM (Private Message) to Joanne giving her your contact details.
This is not a wind-up, I have spoken to her and believe me, she will be absolutely delighted to hear from you.
Rgds, (Thumb)

xdenholm
5th October 2006, 12:07
was ian chamers one of the training c,o ,s onboard the wellpark when she was first built ,he married a girl called linda gardiner whom stayed round the corner from me, i real beauty i remember i fancied her,i was only 11yrs old at the time,though, where is he now? think he was in the denholm news issue that told the story hes got a beard in it .

Tom S
5th October 2006, 15:18
Do you mean Bill Chalmers? He and Linda live in Dubai he is Manager fo a Company of Ships Agents
Tom

John Cassels
7th October 2006, 19:20
Sailed with Bill as my 2nd.mate on one of the GTV's (methinks Euroliner).

Nice guy, heard he got a job with Barwill (or a name like that).

JC

xdenholm
8th October 2006, 08:39
yes it was bill thanks for that i always wondered what happened to them linda came from a big family whom use to stay round the corner from me all moved away now good to here bill is succesful in dubai met him several times. anything lads on a c/mate at the time called kisinski? on gtvs or is that a bad word.

Tom S
8th October 2006, 08:58
He was Master on a Saudi Chemical Tanker the last time I spoke to him
Tom

xdenholm
9th October 2006, 19:29
tom s were you in denholms right to you retired, just wondering did denholm ship manage ment combine with anglo seaboard/i seem to have read that somewhere and the name mike pride as managing director whom if its the same one ,was an engineer with denholms .and a blued cadet of theres. i know mike pride, in fact he taught me many thinks i know although i.ve heard a lot of other people did not like him.i know keith denholm is in hong kong office so denholm family still have a grip i also worked in the office setting up a spare gear inventory with i think it was capt perry hes sitting to left front row of denholm mag autumn 1979

terval
22nd October 2006, 10:42
Margaret many greetings from an old salt with 20 years service with Denholms. I am now retired in Poole Dorset and imagine my amazement when I saw the houseflag advertising building and scaffolding works!!! How diverse can you get and is the British MN so bad that good companies cannot make a living??
Best regards
Terry (Scott-Thomas) R556919

xdenholm
25th October 2006, 12:14
the british mn back in early 80,s just after the falklands when the gov decided it did not need us anymore,went thro a hard time many companies went out of business ,many downsized and some diversified into other things with the knowledge and contacts they had,my brother was in charge of BP shipping at the time and closed the british operation down and moved it too hong kong as part of costcutting exercise.today british mn is at at comeback stage but we cannot get people having to recruit from as far as australia for qualified people, companies stopped taking cadets for a long time indeed many of the nautical colleges also had to diversify into other studies or close.youngsters these days dont have the drive or just want to live off their old mans hard earned wealth.in fact students at university these days can take a year off study ,in my day at college you had about 10 subjects and if you failed any you got one chance then you were OUT.

Gulpers
17th November 2006, 15:18
Joanne has completed her DVD and very kindly sent me a copy which I received today. The quality of her work is exceptional and the events are narrated in a most poignant and sympathetic manner by Vietnamese survivors and Wellpark crew members.

Photographs which were provided by SN members are also included in the programme and with clever editing; the programme cuts from photographs of the survivors to the same people as they are today.

May I express my thanks to all the Shipsnostalgia members who assisted Joanne with her project. You will be pleased to know that Joanne ensured that www.Shipsnstalgia.com features amongst the credits at the end of the DVD.

pentlandpirate
3rd December 2006, 21:38
Thanks to ShipsNostalgia.....a love story!

As one of the cadets on board Wellpark at the time of the rescue, it had always left a lasting impression on me. All those involved will know what a special time it was. In my case I'm still attached to it.

In September 2006 I was bored. I stuck "Wellpark" in the web browser and up came a link to the Chester-le-Street Messenger telling of the sad death of Andy Griffin, 2nd Mate, and one of the heroes of the rescue.See http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2006/8/4/226430.html Losing his life to cancer at just 55 years old, the story struck me pretty hard. So I moved to the second item the web search brought up, which linked me to this thread above, and Joanne Wall trying to trace the crew. I had never heard of Ships Nostalgia before, but not only did I recognise an entry from a former shipmate and cadet, but he told me I should contact this Joanne Wall who was making a film about the incident. So I did. Having been a disciplined letter writer and avid photographer I probably had a better record of the Wellpark rescue than anyone. She has subsequently used much of this material for her film which is entered in the History Channel sponsored Imperial War Museum Student Film competition, Programme 3 http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/conEvent.1309

But having heard about Andy Griffin, then got out all the photos and letters of the event there was just one more thing to do.

Amongst the refugees was one young girl. She had a special smile, and something clicked. She couldn't speak English. I couldn't speak French or Vietnamese, but we communicated in smiles for two weeks. when they left the ship I was heartbroken and vowed to visit her once I paid off a few months later. I only saw her for a few hours at Kensington Barracks in December 1978. I didn't know it then, but I wouldn't see her for another 28 years. But we exchanged letters every few months as I travelled around the world until a few years later she found a partner, and in my own time I got married and had kids.

But I never forgot her. We just seemed to have a connection between us. 14 years ago I decided to try to contact her. I rang International directory enquiries and asked for the name Phung in Montreal. There were hundreds and I stopped taking them down after about twelve had been given to me. I rang the first. " I'm calling from England and trying to contact a girl with the name of .............Have you ever heard of her?" The reply, "Yes, but that was years ago when I was at college. I have no idea where she is now". I couldn't believe it. So close and yet so far. First number and someone knew her, but that was likely to be all my good luck gone on the first call. Rather forelornly I dialled the second number. "I'm calling from England and I'm trying to contact a girl with the name of............have you ever heard of her?"

Back came the reply, " Yeah, that's my sister. she's upstairs, do you want me to get her!"

It only took a few phone calls and letters for us to be very close....albeit 3000 miles apart. And through the letters, phone calls and cassette tapes 'virtually' fell in love. Until one day.

I called. She was in tears. Her Mum was in the background. She said I better go. And I thought, there I am a married man three kids, I'm interfering, upsetting her life. I'll leave her alone. And so I did for 14 more years.........

Until the thread on ShipsNostalia above brought things to the surface again. Because for the last 14 years barely a day had gone by without me thinking of her. So after reading about the death of Andy Griffin, and how Joanne Wall was making a film about the rescue, I thought I must contact this girl again, despite her asking me ' to go", one more time before I died.

Now with the internet it was easy to look up addresses and names on the Canadian phone directory. Scanning down all the addresses for Phung, one jumped out. I could not believe she still lived there. But I decided to send a postcard without my name on it, but just a reference to my myspace website. If she received the card, if she wanted to, she could contact me. If I heard nothing i could just assume she had vanished into the world never to be traced again.

A message. "VERY SURPRISED!!!" came to me within three days.Shortly after that came questions, why did I stop calling her?.All along she had been in love, and didn't want me to go. I had misunderstood her, and as a result we missed each other for another 14 years! 28 years in all!

Now with the internet, skype, paltalk, etc, we were in touch (record 6 hours one time) before we met again for the first time in 28 years for a holiday in the USA in October (had to cancel my wife's ticket). Now we are due to have Christmas in Montreal. Already we are talking of marriage. 28 years we lived parallel lives, but incredibly it seems we are now coming together again.

28 years is a helluva lot of life to have missed out on together, but I tell you it feels so sweet. In some ways it feels better for having waited so long! I have to thank ShipsNostalia for its part in bringing us together again.

benjidog
3rd December 2006, 23:25
An interesting story Pirate.

I think you should contact Joanne - sounds like scope for another film.

Regards,

Brian

pentlandpirate
4th December 2006, 10:10
She already knows.......and is waiting to see how it ends up! ..same as me really!

xdenholm
4th December 2006, 13:00
cripes, i,m about to greet ,and i dont even know you, a ture love story however i did know some of the guys on the wellpark at the time and think i may have sailed with andy,the name rings a bell ,any decription and was he on any of the gtv..s by chance

pentlandpirate
4th December 2006, 22:17
You'll find a photo in the photo gallery. Put Wellpark in SEARCH and look for Crossing the Line photo. Andy Griffin, (wearing RED CROSS and rope wig) 2nd Mate, and hero of the Wellpark rescue, sadly died earlier this year.

pentlandpirate
15th December 2006, 19:16
This thread started with Joanne Wall contacting Ship's Nostalgia to try and contact the Wellpark crew so that she could make a film of the rescue. SN members will be pleased to hear that her film won Best Documentary in the History Channel sponsored Imperial War Museum Student Film Festival, see http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.4419

danube4
15th December 2006, 19:42
Congratulations to Joanne Wall, and all the SN members who helped her. on winning the Best Documentary in the History Channel Imperial War Museum Student Film Festival. Well Done.
Barney

Gulpers
15th December 2006, 19:47
Well done Joanne. As I said in post #46, "the quality of her work is exceptional." Obviously the judges thought so too! (Applause)

John Cassels
16th December 2006, 08:22
Didn't know the Wellpark was a tanker !.

JC

pentlandpirate
16th December 2006, 17:12
Actually the young lady got it right: her film is accurate...............it must be the Imperial War Museum that coverted her from bulk carrier to tanker! Which is rather worrying. Next time I'm visiting IWM will watch out for British submarine Bismarck.................

mmd-denholm
3rd January 2007, 10:51
Hey Jo
First of all, Congratulations!!
I've just read this thread through to the very end and can't believe how far it has gone.
Thanks to everyone else who participated too!!
My very best wishes from everyone at 'Denholm' for a wonderful 2007!

Kind regards
Margaret

Joanne
7th January 2007, 16:03
I must write to you all to say thankyou for your help in the making of my student film 'The Wellpark Story'.
Thanks to Ray, Margaret, Mike (your photos are brilliant), Andy, Alistair, Andy Griffin's wife Pat, Gordon of Denholms and everyone else who helped me research or gave advice or were brave enough to be interviewed on camera!
I am truly grateful, and yes Mike - your love story could make an interesting follow up!!
Kind Regards and best wishes to you all,
Jo Wall

Gulpers
7th January 2007, 16:12
Thank you Jo and once again, very well done.
Your film richly deserves the accolade it has received. (Applause)

Fenton
11th January 2007, 23:04
Hello Everyone

I am Andrew Griffin's daughter. I'd just like to thank people for the mentions of my Dad and especially to Jo for her brilliant film. It was a weird twist of fate that Jo contacted Mam on the day he died and we received a postcard from a crew member living in Rio that we cannot find contact details for.

I was born in 1975 so was just a tot when Dad was invovled in the rescue, but he had a small cup/trophy thing that was presented by the company and that was usually always out on display but every now and again he would get out the Denolm book and some of the letters and pictures and tell us about it along with other tails of the sea.

Dad passed his masters ticket only a couple of years before he was retired through cancer aged only 44 and he battled it for over 10 years before his fight was over last August, he died 2 days after his 55th birthday. Even though he was in pain he had his sense of humour, kind spirit and dignity until the end.

It was only after his death that my aunty suggested I contacted the local paper about the things Dad did at sea and especially the Wellpark as locally Dad was known more for his fight with Cancer than his sea career. Once me and mam started digging through the stuff there was loads of pictures, a letter from the rescued people, cuttings from local papers and at such a difficult time it has really helped to know Dad was part of such a brilliant thing.

I was really happy to see the Grimbsy one as the journalist never got back to say they had published it, so it was lovely to see it had been.

Really wish we had found this before Dad had died he would have loved this site and the chance to catch up with people. I would love to read more about the Wellpark, the rescue and life on board so please keep posting your memories - I'll have this on my favourites from now on.

Best Wishes
Carmel xx

Gulpers
12th January 2007, 09:20
Carmel,

Sadly I never sailed with your Dad in Denholms but, from what you and others have said, that was my loss. He sounds as if he was a wonderful man.

Shipnostalgia's membership is rapidly increasing and the chances are that, with time, more ex-Denholm personnel will join the site.

I am delighted to hear that you have added SN to your ‘favourites’ since it will probably be worth your while dropping in every now and again to check the discussion threads. Hopefully others will reminisce about the Wellpark rescue, or indeed, any other exploits your Dad was involved in.

Best wishes,

Gulpers
12th January 2007, 09:26
Carmel,

Sadly I never sailed with your Dad in Denholms but, from what you and others have said, that was my loss. He sounds as if he was a wonderful man.

Shipnostalgia's membership is rapidly increasing and the chances are that, with time, more ex-Denholm personnel will join the site.

I am delighted to hear that you have added SN to your ‘favourites’ since it will probably be worth your while dropping in every now and again to check the discussion threads. Hopefully others will reminisce about the Wellpark rescue, or indeed, any other exploits your Dad was involved in.

Best wishes,

If anyone sailed with Andrew Griffin and would like to share their recollections with Carmel, have a look at the following thread;

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=9519

Cheers guys. (Thumb)

Stephen J. Card
13th January 2007, 01:47
If anyone sailed with Andrew Griffin and would like to share their recollections with Carmel, have a look at the following thread;

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=9519

Cheers guys. (Thumb)

Wasn't Andrew the Training Chief Officer in WELLPARK? I joined the ship in October '79 to relieve Jack Davidson and Andy McCrindle joined as Training C/O. Frank 'Dusty' Danks was master there for a while and he was relieved by George Anderson.

Stephen

pentlandpirate
13th January 2007, 12:36
HI Stephen,

Andrew Griffin was 2/O on Wellpark in October 1978. The two Training Officers on rotation were Graham McQueen and Bill Chalmers.

I have now posted some photos of Andrew/Andy/Drew (doesn't matter which: he always had a smile on his face!) on the thread his daughter started. http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=9519

pentlandpirate
26th September 2007, 09:48
For any of the officers, crew and cadets who were there, at last (and almost 29 years late), here are all the photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13974083@N07/sets/72157602143810618

Appin Tar
16th October 2007, 21:19
I was on Wellpark before and after this incident. I recollect that Graham MacQueen was the training mate on board at the time. Graham left the sea and now runs a furniture removal bussiness in Oban (MacQueen Brothers)

griff10
9th March 2008, 19:29
It is nice to see so many people who remember the Wellpark, and also to Pentlandpirate for their many good memories of Andrew Griffin, my husband.

Fenton
13th March 2008, 21:34
Hi

Anyone who was crew, cadet or survivor of the Wellpark rescue should have a look at this site: www.wellparkreunion.ning.com

There is goign to be a reunon for the 30th anniversary.

Also information in the Wellpark Directory set up by Pentland Pirate

Carmel

pentlandpirate
13th March 2008, 23:30
Looking for the crew of “Wellpark” October 1978

Deck cadets: Paul Stewart, Dave Currie, Dave Thompson, Dave Milne, Graham Bowman, Willie McGhee, Mark Ohlenschlager, Mark walker, George Fink, S. Waugh, Gary Pearce, Ian Manson, J.K McConnell, G (Kneecap) Anderson, Roger Kelly, Rory McLean, Andrew MacPherson, Craig Holmes, Ronnie (?) Beaton, Mick Moran, Simon Crow
Radio Officer: MacCartney, CPO Langstaff and Bell, P.O: Dixon, C/O Black, 3/O R.O.C Smith, 2/E R Jamieson, 3/E Ian Harvey, 4/E R.Clegg, Fireman; Harris, Haywood and Carey
Catering Officer T.Logan, 2nd Cook; D.Gallagher, Asistant Stewards Savage, MacFarlane and Hamilton and Catering boys; MacMillan and Bell

Argyll
19th March 2008, 19:15
Re-Wellpark crew I sail with Calum Mac Millan who is Ch. Cook on the cal-mac Hebridean Isles, on the Islay service, Calum was telling me about the incident,only this week. Im off at the moment but will pass onto to Calum about the thread. He tells me his Dad was Master in Denhloms ,Malcolm MacMillan . I never came accross him in my short time ,
Argyll

Fenton
19th March 2008, 21:38
This looks promising, hope we can find more of the crew on board !!

advara
30th April 2008, 23:57
Hi, my name is Joanne and I am a student at Brunel University. At my workplace I am friends with a young man who was rescued in Oct 1978 by the Denholm ship the Wellpark. He was only 4 at the time and his family were all Vietnamese Boat People, escaping life in Vietnam. The family are indebted to the crew and I am researching the story for a college project.
I am trying to track down any crew of the Wellpark at the time, Hector Connell especially who was the captain.
Thankyou for any assistance.
Regards, joanne

Hello Joanne,

I was a cadet on Wellpark at the time of the rescue. I've just recently happened upon the Ships Nostalgia website and there's a link to a Wellpark Reunion site. The reunion has been organised by some vietnamese in Los Angeles and is planned for the 2nd August I think. I'm not sure if I'll make it there but I'll give it a go. I have just contacted them and there are a couple of other crew in there, including the old man and the cadet training officer at the time.

I'm happy to help with your research, in as much as I can. I'm happy for SN to pass you my email address.

Cheers

Craig

advara
1st May 2008, 00:06
Hello Joanne,

I was a cadet on Wellpark at the time of the rescue. I've just recently happened upon the Ships Nostalgia website and there's a link to a Wellpark Reunion site. The reunion has been organised by some vietnamese in Los Angeles and is planned for the 2nd August I think. I'm not sure if I'll make it there but I'll give it a go. I have just contacted them and there are a couple of other crew in there, including the old man and the cadet training officer at the time.

I'm happy to help with your research, in as much as I can. I'm happy for SN to pass you my email address.

Cheers

Craig
Aha! Should have read further into the forum. Obviously your research came to a successful conclusion! I'll search it out myself.

Best regards

Craig

Wallyh
8th May 2008, 08:45
Hello Joanne,

Cheers

Craig

If you do go please give Hector my regards sailed with him as Mate on the Uqba Ibn Nafi in 1990
Wally

Calsatch
18th July 2008, 21:53
Jo
Hector Connell is at home just now and his name is in the phone book if you send me an email, I may be able to help you.
Cal

Calsatch
18th July 2008, 22:04
Good Evening All
Hector Connell is at home just now and I have sent a PM to Joanne to contact me so I can put them in contact. He lives not so far away from me and was my best man. If any one else has info they could send me a PM
I just joined SN yesterday. I'm sure Hector would be surprised at this info.
Cal

Fenton
8th September 2008, 22:47
Hi Cal

I just got back from California meeting Hector and his lovely wife Aileen... I am sure they will round to tell you a load of stories as the reunion was just brilliant !

Carmel

pentlandpirate
29th September 2008, 14:53
If you are in the BBC's London region you can see the Wellpark Reunion on Inside Out at 7.30 pm Wednesday 1st October. If you are outside that region you can view it on BBCi player for the next 7 days http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_one/2008-10-01

ROBERT HENDERSON
29th September 2008, 15:30
PENTLAND PIRATE.

I knew about the video from another thread you posted on. It is a brilliant story of mans humanity to man. It was a brilliant piece of seamanship by all on board the Wellpark. It also showed the side of the MN that lan lubbers never see. My sincere thank you to Jo Wall for her brilliant film and also to you Pentland Pirate for sharing your own personal story with us.

Regards Robert

jasmacpm
4th October 2008, 22:55
Take it some of you will already have seen this link? Gives picture of Hector Connell, at the Reunion?

http://epaper.ocregister.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=T3JhbmdlLzIwMDgvMDkvMzAjQXIwMzcwNw==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-ocr

pentlandpirate
5th October 2008, 07:35
If you want info on this the best place is here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/MV_Wellpark You can see recent newspaper articles from New Zealand and Los Angeles, links to the reunion site (where there is far more information and access to the film clip shown on BBC's Inside Out to celebrate 30 years) links so you can watch the original Wellpark Story film, etc, etc.

KTN
22nd June 2009, 22:05
I have been contacted by a student at Brunel Uni who is researching the above. She would like to make contact with any of the crew with a view to conducting an interview to aid her research.
Can anyone help.

Margaret Dalzell
PA to Chairman
J & J Denholm Ltd

email deleted to avoid spam

Hello
I'm a new member, just joy in the forum today. I'm interest in your chat about rescue of Vietnamese boat people, because I'm one of them. If the student which you talked about in Brunel Ini (I'm studying in Brunel Uni too) is still doing her research, you can tell her contact me then I might help her something.

Best wishes
Thuy

marknaismtih
23rd July 2009, 19:39
Hi, my name is mark naismith. My partner is looking to find out if anyone served with her father Donald (Dan) Maclean from Barra. In his seabooks it shows voyages made on wellpark in 1970 & 1971 which seems strange as according to the records on this site the ship wasn't built until 1977. Can anyone help please.

K urgess
23rd July 2009, 19:52
Welcome aboard, Mark.
That would be the previous Wellpark built in 1958 as NEEDLES
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/245905
Regards

randcmackenzie
23rd July 2009, 21:42
I sailed with Bosun Dan Maclean from Barra on the Dunadd in 1969. Colourful character and a good bosun.

Best regards.

John Cassels
24th July 2009, 08:24
Now , that's a name from the past ; sailed with Dan Maclean a number of
times and always on the ore carriers. Arisaig and Clarkeden are the ones
I remember. As Roddie says , a colourful character and a good bosun , kept
the crowd in order.

roythwa
2nd August 2009, 14:09
A question about the denholm magazine does any one have a set or part set from the 60's

thanks

Roy

John Cassels
2nd August 2009, 19:10
Roy , still have most copies from the '60's ( much to the wife's annoyance).

muldonaich
2nd August 2009, 19:29
dan was a great guy as so is his brother alec aka el greco i sailed with him on a few ships never a dull moment great shipmate once sailed with never to be forgotten still going strong brgds kev.

randcmackenzie
2nd August 2009, 21:22
'Maclean's the name' was the catch phrase if you asked him whether something or other was ready. His wife was a policewoman, was she not - at least that's what he put about when she was due to visit Dunadd.

Himself and the chippy had to turn to extending the bosun's bunk.

andy60e
3rd January 2011, 00:01
Sailed with Dan on the Sig Ragne late 1977......sure was a character

Kingham SJ
4th January 2011, 13:56
Hi margaret. If you go to JJDenholm in shipping companies,and contact pentlandpirate,he was a cadet on the wellpark at the time,he is also on flicker under the same name,loads of information with photos good luck

Victor J Croasdale
21st January 2011, 18:52
My old shipmate on the Loch Maree, Bill McArtney was the sparks. He and I were keen photographers and he took a lot of pictures that were published in the newspapers.

LTS
13th April 2011, 00:06
My first post on this board so can I just say hello and thanks for bringing back memories of 'the good old days'

Regarding Vietnamese refugees.
I was on the Nordic Sky in mid 1978, before the Wellpark incident, when we came across a boatload of Vietnamese in the South China Seas on our way to Koh Sichang. At that time we had orders from the office not to stop and pick them up but we did stop and they were in a very bad way.
We fed and watered them and towed them to the Thai coast and gave them directions to the shore.
I don't think the office ever found out about it.
I'm trying to make out the ol' mans signature on the faded discharge book but I think it was Capt. Blaber.

Fenton
11th January 2013, 23:34
Hi
I have just been contacted by someone who wishes to organise a reunion 5 years on from the first one, this time in London. If there are any crew around give me a shout and I will pass on the details, it is also on Facebook. I think they would really like as many crew members as possible to be around.
Carmel

Varley
12th January 2013, 10:13
My first post on this board so can I just say hello and thanks for bringing back memories of 'the good old days'

Regarding Vietnamese refugees.
I was on the Nordic Sky in mid 1978, before the Wellpark incident, when we came across a boatload of Vietnamese in the South China Seas on our way to Koh Sichang. At that time we had orders from the office not to stop and pick them up but we did stop and they were in a very bad way.

LTS - Just read this. Good for you, all!

I doubt there were ever instructions in writing but every Master would have been well aware of the commercial implications of any rescue. Perhaps even backed up by a 'viva voce briefing'.

ben27
15th March 2013, 08:43
good day mmd-denholm.25thmay.2006.01;54.re:wellppark-rescue of vietnamese boat people.just read your thread.a very human story,a great rescue.thankyou for posting.ben27

oldman 80
16th March 2013, 02:01
LTS - Just read this. Good for you, all!

I doubt there were ever instructions in writing but every Master would have been well aware of the commercial implications of any rescue. Perhaps even backed up by a 'viva voce briefing'.

My god - how right you are Varley