Negative Bouyancy

dom
26th May 2006, 00:28
i heard a lot about this in the offshore ind.gas bubbles,, rigs collapsing,has anyone seen or experienced or heard of this happening.

Derek Roger
26th May 2006, 00:37
Negative buoency is a state one can suffer badley from when swimming . It occurs usually when you drink more beer than you Pee !

tell
26th May 2006, 02:05
this was one of the theories for the bermuda triangle disasters,the sea was said to be aereated so much that it lost it's bouyancy

Derek Roger
26th May 2006, 16:16
The " Mythbusters " did a programme on TV and it and confirmed the fact for those doubting Thoms . Consider if the vessel was sitting in one big bubble with no sea to support it ; do you not think it would fall ?? Therefore areated water depending on the amount of air water mix will have an obvious negative impact on the bouency .

benjidog
26th May 2006, 16:35
Dunno about Bermuda triangle but remember seeing a demonstration done by some Mad Scientist type on the telly with a large fish tank full of plastic balls about 2 inch diameter and a model ship on the top.

It sat there quite happily until he started blowing air up from the bottom of the tank. It was fine for a while but a point was reached as he turned up the airflow when the thing just sank to the bottom.

Does this prove that air bubbles could sink a ship? I'm not sure but I don't think the idea can be dismissed out of hand.

I am going to attempt an alternative experiment involving sitting in the bath with plastic ducks, eating several large plates of curry and watching the results. (LOL)

Brian

newda898
26th May 2006, 22:06
I'm sure I remember seeing a programme about this theory. They managed to sink a small motorboat simply by piping air underneath her.

fredkinghorn
27th May 2006, 11:15
That reminds me of the definition of a Puff Adder.

A person who farts in the bath and counts the bubbles.

fred

" I'm forever-----"