Bit Problem

tercar
27th May 2006, 12:28
Can anyone help me solve the following problem?
I am operating on Windows 2000, but over the past few months my PC has been rejecting installed programmes, especially games, and my scanner.
On trying to re install I receive the following message.

Quote. ''16 Bit Windows Subsystems
C:\Winnt\System32\Autoexec.NT
The system file is not suitablefor running MS-DOS and MicrosftWindows applications. Choose CLOSE to terminate the application.'' Unquote.

Your comments much appreciated in simple terms please.

Many Thanks

mcgurggle
27th May 2006, 12:58
Do you mean, reinstall Windows 2000 or the particular software??
Make sure you have all the win 2000 updates, (SP4 etc)
Go here - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.mspx - & download every update & patch you see. If it does'nt do any good you MAY have to re-install win 2000. :@
McG (Thumb)

karbine
27th May 2006, 12:58
Try this mate:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314452/

mcgurggle
27th May 2006, 13:00
Try this mate:

Heh heh ! He said simple terms !!! LOL
(*))
McG

rstimaru
27th May 2006, 13:49
don,t you have your disc to reinstall windows, just try it in and follow instuction

Bruce Carson
27th May 2006, 14:22
Try this mate:

It's saying that you MAY have a screwed up file in your registry.
To check, do the following:
I use Windows XP, but I think 2000 is comparable
Click on Start on the left hand bottom corner of the screen
Click on Run
Type in regedit and click OK
This will bring up your Registry Editor, where you can make corrections if they are needed
You now have to find the file you want to change.
All the files are nested inside each other and it's just a progressive opening of files within files
Under My Computer on the left hand side of the page, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
That Will open up a drop down list and click on SYSTEM
That will open up another drop down list and click on Current ControlSet
That will open up another drop down list and click on Control
That will open up another drop down list--scroll down until you find VirtualDeviceDrivers
Click on VirtualDevice Drivers
Here comes the tricky part, because I don't know what you have in your Registry
Go to the right side of the page
It should read VDD under the Name
Under Type it should read REG_MULTI_SZ
If it has these two values, this is not the problem you have
If it doesn't have the above values, right click on the VDD and click on Delete.
That will remove the file and now you have to replace it with the correct value.
Right click anywhere on the right hand half of the page
That will bring up a box marked NEW
Click on it and click on Multi-String Value
You will now have New Value #1 under the Name heading and REG_MULTI_SZ under the Type heading
You now have to change New Value #1 to read VDD
Right click on New Value #1 and click on Rename on the box that appears
Type VDD in the place of New Value #1
The Name should now read VDD and the Type should read REG_MULTI_SZ
Close out.

I hope this helps. It sounds complicated, but it's just like opening progressively smaller boxes inside each other until you reach the last one.

Bruce C

One word of caution---if you elect to reinstall Windows, go with the partial and not a complete reinstall where the computer is returned the state in which you bought it. A complete installation will clean everything, including ALL your files and photographs, from the machine: a partial will not.
The operation varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the instructions will be on the CD and you will have a choice of installation--complete or partial.

tercar
27th May 2006, 15:31
Thank you all you guys for your replies.
I will let you all know how I get on if I don't b***** it up along the way.
When I win the lottery I will buy a laptop every couple of months just to keep up to date.
Thanks again
Terry

tercar
27th May 2006, 15:59
Hi Bruce,
Just tried your remedy with the registry.
Those two values are there.However,there is another reading above them which reads;
Name (Default) Type. REG SZ Data. (Value not set).

Is this significant.

I do not have the disc for reloading, my son put this programme on a couple of years ago, and I dare not change it or ''Her Indoors'' will kill me for losing her accounts.
Have you any other thoughts?

By the way, the Microsoft Updates are done automatically as soon as they come out.

Regards and Thanks

Terry

Bruce Carson
27th May 2006, 16:58
Hi Terry:
Damn, I was hoping that would be the answer.
The other line is of no significance--it does not hurt anything.
If the worst comes to the worst, your son could do a partial install--it means losing some programmes that would have to be installed again and you would have to update Windows from the date that the disc was produced, but you would NOT lose personal files and accounts.
I'll see if I can see anything online that would help.

Best,
Bruce C

tercar
27th May 2006, 18:41
Thanks Bruce,appreciate the help. I still like pen and paper,sextants and spherical trig.
Cheers
Terry

benjidog
27th May 2006, 19:07
Terry,

Whatever you do please make sure that you take backup copies of all your personal files to be on the safe side. A re-install of Win2000 should not harm your personal files but it depends where you have saved them Also if you accidentally choose a wrong option on the re-install it is possible to lose the lot.

You should make backups on a regular basis anyway to be on the safe side as hard disks are prone to failure. You may be able to use a CD or DVD for backups if you can write them on your machine.

I updated to Windows XP a few years ago but previously found that with Win2000 it was necessary to re-install it a few times per year as it seemed to deteriorate over time for reasons I never did get to the bottom of. Windows XP seems less of a problem in this respect - though some people have had problems with it. Depends on how old your machine is but it may be worth discussing this with an expert. I don't like giving more money to Bill Gates but it might be good value for money to go for an upgrade if you still have problems after re-installing Win2000. There is a utility programme that you can use to check if your equipment will work with Windows XP.

Regards,

Brian

Lookout
27th May 2006, 21:15
Terry
I discussed your problem with my resident genius and this is what he says:

The most likely cause is corruption of the Autoexec.nt file. This is very similar to the autoexec.bat file used in MS-DOS and initialises Windows support for 16 bit applications and drivers. This Microsoft article gives instructions on how to replace the file with a fresh copy although this would subsequently require re-installation of all 16 bit software and drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305521/en-us

Alternatively the file can be opened and edited with a text editor such as notepad so a patient person could "REM" out any suspect lines one by one until the source of the problem is found, Windows would have to be re-started after each change as the file is only read at start-up.

Hope this is of some help - I would repeat the advice from your other respondents to safeguard your data before fiddling with the operating system.

All the best

tercar
28th May 2006, 16:07
Just like to thank you all again.
After looking through the various websites recommended and the registry, it would appear to be a common recognised problem, and as I do not have the disc for rectification,nor is it worth updating this old machine I will call it a day and work with what I have for the time being.
Thank you all again for your time and trouble.
Terry