Pipiriki

Bob S
11th September 2004, 15:27
Operated by the New Zealand Shipping Company, the PIPIRIKI (44/10065) is seen passing Tilbury in the late 1960’s.

Dave Edge
12th June 2005, 22:31
A nostalgic photo for those who were on the New Zealand run, the "Pipiriki" alongside the meat-loaders at Bluff waiting for the tide to sail for London in the late 1960's. From the deck cargo looks like it may have been the beginning of the voyage that Bob has the end of.
It does appear, however, that the photo has vanished into cyberspace.

Doug Rogers
13th June 2005, 02:28
Good picture.
Just love that funnel, think I spent too long on the "Karmala"..my taste has in funnels has been irreversibly perverted!!.

Ron Stringer
27th August 2005, 21:38
I refitted the radio room on the Pipiriki in Palmer's drydock at Hebburn on the Tyne, early in 1967, soon after I came ashore to work for Marconi's in South Shields. I remember being astonished that the bulkheads in the radio room were tongue and groove timber. Not my choice for fire resistance. Tiimes change.

Ron Stringer

nenerover
22nd October 2006, 15:10
Hi lads, I did my first trip on the “Pipiriki” The start of a wonderful adventure. Signed on London 5 Nov 1964 arrived Auckland Christmas eve tied up on Queens wharf From then on it was one big party. Did 2 deep-sea trips on Pipiriki as a steward’s boy.

hootsmon
4th April 2007, 17:18
I worked by the "Pipiriki" in London in 1970 hoping to go deep sea. Opposite us was the "Manapouri" and I was asked if I would join her as one of her crew had taken ill. So I went from the oldest to the newest ship in the company. regards hootsmon

BeerSailor
4th April 2007, 21:37
I worked by the "Pipiriki" in London in 1970 hoping to go deep sea. Opposite us was the "Manapouri" and I was asked if I would join her as one of her crew had taken ill. So I went from the oldest to the newest ship in the company. regards hootsmon
Other way round for me, in 1969 did discharge and load NZ on Manapouri and we were just about to sail for Panama and Paparoa arrived from Panama with sick man on board. I was transferred and ended up on double header and away from home over 10 months. Went from en suite luxury to a tiny cabin with cockroaches for company, but the time on the Paparoa was by far the best.

Janner100
11th April 2007, 14:52
I worked on the Pipiriki in Falmouth in the late 60's - lovely looking ship. Fired my imagination to go to sea. Joined Rerdon-Smith of Cardiff probably as a result of seeing their Devon City, again in Falmouth late 60's.

Bulk carriers never seemed to have quite the romance as ships like the Pipiriki and Devon, although they were far better specified, particularly in accommodation standards.

john609
27th May 2007, 08:39
(==D) HI worked by the Pipariki in liverpool in 67then joined the Paparoa in london for a run job to the scrap yard,came back to uk and joined the Westmorland for a double header on the manz run.
great reading john

hughesy
21st December 2007, 13:23
Hi lads, I did my first trip on the “Pipiriki” The start of a wonderful adventure. Signed on London 5 Nov 1964 arrived Auckland Christmas eve tied up on Queens wharf From then on it was one big party. Did 2 deep-sea trips on Pipiriki as a steward’s boy.

Hi there
I did my first trip on her too joined dec69 Hull,was in bluff and Gisbourne NZ probably cleaned the same alleyways and cabins. The Captain maid me polish his portholes in his cabin, loads of brass on that ship. Also an old Taffy frigde greaser taught me how to play crib, I'd sneak him tucker outta of the fridges whilst he was on watch in the frigde flats.
he was 62 then, probably safely anchored now, but I seen him come down the quay with two Maori lasses, one time in Gisbourne. I thought I hope I'm like that when am 62, another 7 years and we'll find out I guess.
Good memories of a nice ship.
All the very best
Hughesy

Richard W
5th January 2008, 09:06
Pipiriki was my first ship, joined her in Hull in 1969.
We were told by the captain that Samoa had very bad prisons, so we were warned to behave.
We were going to Samoa, NZ, and then back to the UK.
Being stupid at 16, I didn't listen, and found out he was telling the truth!
Samoan prisons are not the best.
Samoan hair cuts are also not the best in the 70's when headed to NZ.
Now being bald is hip, then, forget it!
Still love going back to Aggies, a wonderful place in a wonderful place called Samoa.

R

Richard W
5th January 2008, 09:11
you must have been on the same trip as me?
Do you remember going to Apia?

masthead
10th February 2009, 15:09
Operated by the New Zealand Shipping Company, the PIPIRIKI (44/10065) is seen passing Tilbury in the late 1960’s.

SEE PIPIRKI CREW ON BRITISH MERCHANT NAVY.COM

Paul Sibellas
22nd July 2010, 09:50
I was on the "Pipiriki"in 1967 as EDH.Two days out from Panama outward bound,the propeller hit an underwater object and a blade snapped off,we could only go about 3/4 knots after that & rigged sails out of hatch tarps to help us.It was a very long voyage to Fiji where the spare blade was attached.We had a great time in Fiji & later on the Kiwi coast.The ship was very old,you could still see where the gun was fixed in the war on the top of the housing aft.It was a terrific crew from the top down & i still rate it as one of my best trips.

Gerald Jackson
18th October 2012, 13:59
Did 3 trips on the Pip, starting in Liverpool Sept 1965.Work hard play harder on the Kiwi coast