Lowestoft Fishing Vessels

Pages : [1] 2

Clem
28th May 2006, 15:27
Hi everyone, I've started this thread to discuss Lowestoft fishing vessels. I'm in the process of compiling a database (529 vessels and counting) of the above and, would welcome any contributions on this theme. ie. photo's, stories of life on board, histories of the vessels etc.

Hopefully as this thread develops, it can become a reference point for people with similar interests.

Regards

Clem

treeve
28th May 2006, 21:37
Hi Clem.
I have some pages on WH Podd ( Lowestoft ) vessels at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/whp.htm
and photographs of Lowestoft vessels at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/yorkies.htm
Best Wishes
Raymond

Clem
28th May 2006, 21:55
Great Sites Raymond.

I finally traced a picture of LT245 J.A.P. (Jane Ann Podd). I don't have permission to post, so it will have to stay with me for the time being.

Regards

Clem

treeve
29th May 2006, 00:48
Hi Clem,
Glad you like what you see ....
I have a number of other pictures of Lowestoft boats,
which I will place online soon.
Glad you have found the J.A.P.
David Podd was delighted with
all of my research on his grandfather's company and boats,
told me that virtually all of it was unknown to him before!!
Best Wishes
Raymond

brixhamrfc
29th May 2006, 03:20
Hi guys, only one LT now operating out of Brixham, the Korenbloem LT535. Mareverma LT526 is still here, but now decommissioned, and being converted to a diving vessel for operating in the Canary Islands. The old Senex Fidelis (LT266) is a hulk lying in the outer harbour as a storage hulk. Hope that helps you, regards, Trev

Clem
29th May 2006, 12:02
Hi Raymond, I'll get round to sending you a copy of LT245, if you want. I would really like some copies of the vessels, you've posted on your internet sites, if that's possible.

Cheers

Clem

Clem
29th May 2006, 12:12
Hi Trev, I've found out that both LT535 Korenbloem and LT526 Mareverma went to Brixham in 1984, were they both sidewinders?

LT266 Senex Fidelis, ex. VD54 Nellie; ex. LT266 Semper Crescendo, I understand she was a beam trawler.

Do you have any pics you could post or perhaps email me?

Thegriefs@aol.com

Regards

Clem

nigelcollett
29th May 2006, 15:57
Hi Clem

As Raymond (Treeve) knows I have an oil painting of a Lowestoft trawler dated 1904 with the name Kestrel and designation LT442. I have taken photos of the picture and have them on disk. Should you be interested in a copy you will need to let me have your email address, via the personal mail, as the size is to big to post on SN

Good luck with your quest.

Regards

NigelC

brixhamrfc
29th May 2006, 16:26
Clem, Senex, Mareverma, and Korenbloem are all beamers. I am sure I have loaded photos of the Korenbloem at least on the site, but I will put a couple more on later today hopefully, regards, Trev

treeve
29th May 2006, 16:27
Hello Clem and Nigel,
It's a fine picture ... I would be very interested to know the
reason for the painting being done ... seems to be more than
"just" a painting.

Of course, I will send anyone the original scans of the pictures
on my website. Just give me a little time ....

Best Wishes
Raymond

brixhamrfc
29th May 2006, 16:49
Photo of Korenbloem on page 106 (approx) of the fishing vessel bit. Just submitted a photo of Mareverma, it is head on, I'll try and get a better shot. Trev

Clem
29th May 2006, 17:13
Photo of Korenbloem on page 106 (approx) of the fishing vessel bit. Just submitted a photo of Mareverma, it is head on, I'll try and get a better shot. Trev

Thanks Trev, I've just looked her up.

Clem

nigelcollett
29th May 2006, 17:52
Hi Raymond

I'm not sure about the reason for the painting, It was my late uncles barn for many years and he let us have in about 1973 in a dreadful state. We had it cleaned up and reframed, the original had crumbled with woodworm. According to my late mother our family had some connection with her but I haven't been able to track down any more info.

Regards

NigelC

Pat McCardle
29th May 2006, 18:47
Hi Clem

As Raymond (Treeve) knows I have an oil painting of a Lowestoft trawler dated 1904 with the name Kestrel and designation LT442. I have taken photos of the picture and have them on disk. Should you be interested in a copy you will need to let me have your email address, via the personal mail, as the size is to big to post on SN

Regards

NigelC

Hi! Nigel. You should be able to resize your photo's if you save the originals to the computer & then use Arcsoft. Thats if you have a digital camera? This software should come with it as it did with the camera's I have.
ATB. Pat

nigelcollett
30th May 2006, 08:57
Hi Pat

I'll give it a try (as soon as I find the disk- this sun is the bane of my life - she who must be obeyed has come up with numerous outside jobs)

NigelC

nigelcollett
30th May 2006, 11:59
Hi Clem / Pat

Have managed to condense pictures of Kestrel and have posted them in the Gallery. Should you like copies of the original (larger) then let me know and I will email to you

Regards

NigelC

Clem
31st May 2006, 14:18
Hi everyone, here is a list of vessels I'm currently researching. So if anyone reading this has any information of any kind relating to these vessels (including pics), please let me know by posting here or by PM.

Regards

Clem

LT140 Moreleigh
LT188 Tritonia
LT203 Annrobin
LT245 J.A.P.
LT246 Fellowship
LT298 Barton Queen
LT326 Yellowtail
LT335 Loch Lorgan
LT434 Jacklyn

Clem
2nd June 2006, 17:24
Hi everyone I've got LT140 Moreleigh, ex. BM20 Iago. I'm looking for anything on her when she was a Brixham vessel. If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

Regards

Clem

Gavin Gait
2nd June 2006, 18:56
Hi everyone, I've started this thread to discuss Lowestoft fishing vessels. I'm in the process of compiling a database (529 vessels and counting) of the above and, would welcome any contributions on this theme. ie. photo's, stories of life on board, histories of the vessels etc.

Hopefully as this thread develops, it can become a reference point for people with similar interests.

Regards

Clem
Hi Clem,
Did you know that my families old sidetrawler , David John A169 , was owned by a Lowestoft and fishout out of there in 1989-1990 before going on a long term hire to Milford Haven.She can back to Lowestoft in 1996 to be scrapped at the Richards Ironworks yard. There's a photo of her in my gallery and if you want the details of her just say.

Davie Tait

Clem
2nd June 2006, 20:19
Hi Clem,
Did you know that my families old sidetrawler , David John A169 , was owned by a Lowestoft and fishout out of there in 1989-1990 before going on a long term hire to Milford Haven.She can back to Lowestoft in 1996 to be scrapped at the Richards Ironworks yard. There's a photo of her in my gallery and if you want the details of her just say.

Davie Tait

Hi Davie, I certainly would like to see her details, although she's not strictly a LT vessel her connection to Lowestoft is still of interest, can you post here for others to see as well?

I see her Lowestoft owners were M & S Developments but, I have her scrapped at LT during Dec. 95.

Thanks

Clem

Gavin Gait
2nd June 2006, 21:04
Thats correct it was M&S Developments that owned her but she wasn't scrapped till 1996 , she was laid up in the dock from october '95 till about april '96. I'm just about to go out for the night so i'll put up all her details in here on Saturday night along with some more photos.

David John laid up in Fleetwood 1996 (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5759/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/2)

Davie

Clem
2nd June 2006, 22:45
Thanks for confirming the date of her scrapping Davie, have a good evening and, I look forward to your post.

Regards

Clem

brixhamrfc
6th June 2006, 21:27
Another one that fished out of Brixham for a while....Dawn Gleaner LT 277. I'll try and find a photo of her, Trev

martin johns
6th June 2006, 22:44
Hi Clem,
Do you need any info on Lowestoft boats that operated from Devon or Cornwall in the last thirty odd years? I'm not too good on the oldies i'm afraid.
Regards, Martin.

Clem
6th June 2006, 23:11
Hi Clem,
Do you need any info on Lowestoft boats that operated from Devon or Cornwall in the last thirty odd years? I'm not too good on the oldies i'm afraid.
Regards, Martin.

Re: Grimsby Fishing Vessels thread, ditto here too Martin. :)

Cheers

Clem

treeve
7th June 2006, 16:06
Hi Clem,
I have just been down to Penzance harbour, now the
Holman's conversion job has been put into their
own dry dock; I can see the Feasible clearly.
Just taken a few photos ....
Do you happen to know who owned her in Lowestoft?
She looks so alike to the Eager ...
Most details are on
http://www.nhsc.org.uk/index.cfm/event/getVessel/vref/711
Best Wishes
Raymond

Clem
7th June 2006, 18:14
Hi Raymond, I have very little of the Feasible, thanks for making me aware of her. I don't know if she was in Lowestoft ownership in 1937 but, at that time I have her as being owned by J.V. Breach. The website has her grossing 150 tons, must be a typo' as Lloyds has her at 105 tons gross (seems right). Can you let me know where you got her port reg. no. from?

Any chance of seeing her pics? :)

Regards

Clem

LT122 Feasible

Official Number: 132963
Port of Registry: Lowestoft
Number:LT122
Name: Feasible
Callsign: GYPQ
Type: Steam Drifter
Built: 1912
By: J. Duthie; Torry S.B. Co. Aberdeen
Gross Tonnage: 105
Net Tonnage: 46
Length: 86 ft.
Beam: 18 ft. 6 in.
Draught: 9 ft. 1 in.
Engines: Triple Expansion; 3 Cylinder; 25RHP
By: Elliott & Garood Ltd. Lowestoft
Owner: J.V. Breach (1937)
Comments: First registered as LT1191; she was sold in 1919 and became R157; returned to Lowestoft in 1930 and became LT122; Admiralty Service; 1-6pdr. Hired as A/P Dr 1914-19; M/S 11/39-11/45; sold to Norway in 1946 and converted to a motor coaster as she is seen today.
Fate: Undergoing preservation at Penzance.

Links: http://www.nhsc.org.uk/index.cfm/event/getVessel/vref/711

treeve
7th June 2006, 20:21
Hi Clem, I'll be placing photos online before too long,
and when I do, you can have a set, via email.
First I have to finish the film off, though ....
Besides, it is my intention to have a word
with the preservation team ( who are living
on her ) ... Her Number is painted on her prow.
Name and Port on her stern.
Best Wishes
Raymond

Clem
7th June 2006, 20:24
Cheers Raymond, that'll do for me.

treeve
8th June 2006, 23:26
Hi Clem,
Just been down to the harbour again for a closer look at her.
I see an old lifebouy has the name FEASABLE on it. I am hoping
to get a phone call soon, so I will have an interview with the
team to fill in some more detail, hopefully.
I have just realised that I have a photograph, c 1930 of her
at sea. I will set up a page tonight and upload.
Best Wishes
Raymond

treeve
8th June 2006, 23:54
Page now set up at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/ypc.htm

More to follow, more pages to be added to the Lowestoft
pictures.

Best Wishes
Raymond

Clem
9th June 2006, 07:37
Well done Raymond.

Gavin Gait
11th June 2006, 21:14
Hi Clem thats me home from the hospital so here's the information about the David John A169

Built in 1969 to a heavily modified Spinningdale design ( 18" more beam , beam carried a lot further forrard and aft giving a far fuller bow which made her a very stable and surprisingly dry ship compared to the other 20 in the class ). Built for my Grandfather , Davie Jack , my uncle ,George Jack , my Father William Tait and John Johnstone ( of P & J Johnstone's keeping the partnership between John and my grandfather that went back to 1945 ) at the John Lewis yard at Torry in Aberdeen. Yard number 358 L.O.A 86ft , Beam 21'6" draft 11ft , 500hp ( de-rated 575 ) Mirrlees Blackstone airstart main engine , 127hp Gardener Auxiliary generator / main winch hydraulic pump unit , 27hp Gardener 2cyc main electrical gen set. Fished from Aberdeen under Davie Jack then George Jack from 1969 till 1988 when we sold her to Lowestoft. She fished from Lowestoft then Milford Haven until 1996 when she was scrapped at the Richards Ironworks in Lowestoft.

Davie Tait

Clem
11th June 2006, 21:28
Thanks for that great info David. I wish it was as easy as that all the time!

Hope your op. went well, wasn't too serious, and you get over it quickly.

All the best

Clem

Gavin Gait
12th June 2006, 12:08
My operation was just to have a chunk of broken bone removed from my ankle , only in hospital for 29 hours !!!.

Hope the info is of use for your Lowestoft trawler list Clem.

Davie Tait

Clem
12th June 2006, 14:33
Hi Raymond.

Re: post 27. I've uploaded a pic. of Feasible plus an update to the information.

The following was passed on to me.

"LT122 Feasible, to add to your information was first registered as LT1191 she was sold in 1919 and became R157, she returned to Lowestoft in 1930 and became LT122, she was then sold to Norway in 1946 and converted to a motor coaster as she is seen today."

Cheers

Clem

Clem
26th July 2006, 20:19
Hi folks, here's some information on LT282 Yellowfin. I was sent some pictures, possibly, of her hulk on the river Medina at Cowes, Isle of Wight.

Does anyone know any history of this vessel?

Official Number: 182019
Port of Registry: Lowestoft
Number: LT282
Name: Yellowfin
Callsign: n/k
Type: Wood M Fishing
Built: 1945
By: F. Curtiss Ltd. (Looe)
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 92 ft. 4 in.
Beam: 22 ft. 1 in.
Draught: n/k
Engines: Oil Engine 6cylinder
By: Ruston & Hornsby (Lincoln)
Owner (1959): Clan Steam Fishing Co. (Grimsby) Ltd.
Manager: Colne Fishing Co. Ltd.
Comments: Ex. MFV1530; Ex. LT282 Alorburn till 1958; 1970 to R. A. Rainham; Sister ship to LT326 Yellowtail
Fate: Unconfirmed hulk on the river Medina, Cowes, Isle of Wight; propeller is by the quayside at Newport, Isle of Wight along with an information plaque

Photos courtesy of Peter Bruce

treeve
27th July 2006, 00:40
Thanks for the update on Feasible, Clem.

I take it you have seen the page ...
http://www.solen****ers.co.uk/Medina%20Ships/Barges%20and%20Hulks/page4.html
I hope its ok to paste this in for you ....
"11/07/03 Fishing boat Yellowfin rotting away on the west bank of the river opposite Island Harbour. She was an Admiralty 95ft class MFV 1530 built by Frank Curtis at Par, Cornwall, completed 11/45. Sold out 3/48 she became Alorburn (AG 14). Later in 1952 Alorburn (LT 382) and in 1958 Yellowfin (LT 382). 116grt, 200disp tons, 97.25oa x 22.25beam. 1 x 240hp Crossley, 9.25 knots. 70 tons cargo capacity." Pictures of her rotting away.

I now have more of an interest in her, myself, being that she
was built at Par.
Best Wishes
Raymond

Bob S
30th July 2006, 19:02
A couple of shots of Lowestoft trawlers from thye 1960's.

LT466 OCEAN DAWN approaching Lowestoft on the 17/07/69 & LT464 OCEAN SUNLIGHT moored in Lowestoft Dock during 1967.
Both operated by J Muir (?)

treeve
31st July 2006, 14:05
Pictures of LT122 Feasible in Penzance
now added to my Gallery.

Clem
31st July 2006, 18:56
Cheers Raymond, for uploading those photos. Is the Feasible being renovated, or restored to her original condition?

Clem

Clem
31st July 2006, 19:05
A couple of shots of Lowestoft trawlers from thye 1960's.

LT466 OCEAN DAWN approaching Lowestoft on the 17/07/69 & LT464 OCEAN SUNLIGHT moored in Lowestoft Dock during 1967.
Both operated by J Muir (?)

Hi Robert, nice colour images you put up here. Do you have any connection with these boats? After a quick scan through some books, they were built for Bloomfields (Yarmouth), eventually being sold on to Smalls at Lowestoft. That's all I have for have now.

Regards

Clem

treeve
31st July 2006, 20:29
Cheers Raymond, for uploading those photos. Is the Feasible being renovated, or restored to her original condition?Clem
Well, the story is that the intention is to restore her, but money is very short, no funding available from the usual cultural / European or Lottery sources; so all is on hold. No one has been on board, that I have seen.
Whether or not she is to be turned back to a steamer is doubtful; I heard someone say she is the oldest steam trawler still afloat and capable of work;
but, she is a motor vessel; and I am not so sure the oldest, anyway?
She certainly has beautiful lines, I have reservations about the extensions
formed ( and the garden seat!! ). It is a crying shame that the Maritime
Museum has no interest in her, or so I have been told.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Bob S
1st August 2006, 19:33
Hi Robert, nice colour images you put up here. Do you have any connection with these boats? After a quick scan through some books, they were built for Bloomfields (Yarmouth), eventually being sold on to Smalls at Lowestoft. That's all I have for have now.

Regards

Clem

Hi Clem,

No, I have no connection with them. I went to Lowestoft to get some photos of the OCEAN SUNLIGHT for a model I was building at the time, I think it's still in the loft so I might get it out and dust it off and post a photo of her here.

Bob

Clem
1st August 2006, 20:01
Hi Bob, It'd be great to see. Sad to say the subject of your model, Ocean Sunlight LT464, was lost with all hands off Texel on 28th October 1967. By then she had been sold and renamed KW37 Orion.

Regards

Clem

trawlercook
15th September 2006, 13:42
hi clem
there is a book called(down the harbour 1955-1995)its by malcolm white it is on sale from the east suffolk maratime society they are based at sparrows nest museum lowestoft price is£19-95 it has all the trawlers and pictures of all the boats from lowestoft all you need is that book it tells you every thing you need.hope this helps

Clem
15th September 2006, 13:49
Hi Colin, how goes it in Hull with those great model ships?

Thanks for bringing that to light. I'm glad to say, I've already got the book. It's a mine of information, an absolute 'must have' if you're into the Lowestoft scene. Malcolm White also published 'A Century of Fishing.' I've been trying to get my hands on that one for awhile now.

Thanks for starting this thread off again Colin, it's been a little neglected just lately.

How about you tell us all some yarns of your time in LT? That'll get things going, hopefully.

All the best

Clem

treeve
8th October 2006, 00:07
Hello, I am looking for three Belgian built PZ reg fishing vessels,
I have trawled through the MAFF/DEFRA lists 1996-2006 and come
up with 14 Belgian built vessels; one of them became an LT Reg.
Any chance the LT197 Cleopatra B14018 [1996] Built 1986
was one of the following, please?
PZ169 Carlisa, PZ303 Barenne II or PZ388 Semper Paratus.

Clem
8th October 2006, 10:07
Hi Raymond, I looked up LT197 and she was ex. Z97 Jakoba. A beam trawler built in 1986, Gross 273, Net 114. Went to Lowestoft 17/01/94. Owner Jakoba B.V.B.A.

Thats all I have.

Best wishes

Clem

treeve
8th October 2006, 12:55
Thanks very much Clem, that is a real help.

Martin Johns has just kindly told me that
PZ388 Semper Paratus was LT 575 prior to being PZ 388,
she was based in Falmouth as LT 575.

treeve
8th October 2006, 14:00
One I forgot from the list of belgian built was
LT531 Pinto A19041 1954 [1996] Wooden
Any details, please?

Clem
8th October 2006, 17:29
Sorry Raymond, I have nothing on this vessel.

Clem

Kerbtrawler
10th October 2006, 21:00
There was a Pinto built 1928
official number 149659

But thats all I have

trawlercook
10th October 2006, 21:27
HI CLEM
whilst i was fishing out of lowestoft there was a long shore boat called pinto she was a small around 80ft dutch beamer converted to tow a trawl astern.all i know is she was decomishoned early90,s and bought for conversion to a private buyer to live aboard and she dissapeard down south.
in the case of the david john the owner who bought her for fishing was neville scupham a friend of mine,he owned a companywhat did work offshore on the rigs he his a gas fitter so it must have been work along those lines.the boat was scrapped when he and his wife split up the boat was supposed to be hers and niether of them would spend money on it and it failed its D.T.I. a writ was put on it and it ended up being scrapped.sorry i have not been back to you,but ive been ill and then i had a couple of models i had to build which ive now done so i have a bit more time.
hope this helps with your quest
best regards colin

treeve
10th October 2006, 21:40
Thanks very much for your help, re Pinto. That ties up that little lady.

treeve
16th February 2007, 00:14
Someone has written to me about her great grandfather George William Levell - he died in the Great Storm of 1877, apparently. He was on LT646 DOVE. Please can anyone help with info on the DOVE and the Great Storm; if any other vessels were lost in that storm?
Best Wishes, Raymond

brixhamrfc
23rd February 2007, 09:38
A snippet that may help Lowestoft research....LT 393 ALA became BM 137 WILLIAM ALLEN.........Trev

hulltrawler
24th February 2007, 19:49
Hi Treeve
the great storm of 1877 was on the third of march

there where 36 smacks lost all told from various ports
215 men and boys lost their lives leaving 88 widows and 164 orphans
( ref Sailing Trawlers by Edgar G march )

I am afraid my knowledge on lowestoft vessels is limited and I cannot shed any light on the dove Lt646.

treeve
24th February 2007, 20:09
Thanks for that ... quite a storm, then. Another terrible tragedy.
That would have broken a lot of communities. Shattered lives.

hulltrawler
24th February 2007, 20:27
There was a further storm 3 years later in 1880 when the smacks where caught in a force 11 gale and snow squalls resulting in many lives lost again, In 50ft vessels with a man on deck lashed to the tiller, the saying boats of wood and men of steel rings true.

Again there was another gale in march 1883 with a far greater number of vessels and men lost - 26 smacks from Hull alone and similar numbers for other ports.
At these times many vessels where crewed by entire families and in one case a father , his two sons and their two cousins where lost on the same vessel leaving the widows and children peniless and destitute.

treeve
24th February 2007, 20:37
Mind numbing. Where can I read more on these?
Would this all be in Sailing Trawlers by Edgar G March?
Are these losses listed anywhere? Men, families and smacks?
Rather shoots the idea of "once in 200 year" storms in the foot.

hulltrawler
24th February 2007, 21:29
There are a number of references to some of the storms in sailing trawlers /

for the 1883 storm there where government backed enquiries and reports published by each port I have the original 1883 report for Hull / Grimsby.
my main research on hull vessels is from local newspaper archives.

sailing trawlers E G March - Oct 1880 Storm
a nor`easter which measured wind force 11 and 70mph winds was recorded

Yarmouth Losses
/ smack - Ariel abandoned 2 crew lost later picked up and towed to Gy / Smack Defiance Skipper W Childs foundered with all hands / Smack Dido foundered loss of 1 life / Smack Expert missing all hands / Smack Foam dismasted lost half her crew / Smack Gleaner Lost with all hands / Smack Harbinger lost mizzen mast and boat 1 life lost / Smack Luna lost with all hands / Smack Mystery Lost with all hands / Smack Regalia lost all sail and half her crew / Smack Saucy Maid Collided with Smack Mary Ann Matilda and sank with the loss of 3 lives / Smack Yarborough missing with all hands/

Lowestoft Vessels.
Smack Albert & Alice lost with all hands / Smack Alfred & Jane Lost all sail and one life / Smack Dowager Countess lost with all hands / Smack Ocean Queen stranded total loss ( Lifes ? ) / Smack Harry of London missing with all hands / Smack Minx lost mizzen mast , boat and 1 life /

Hull Vessels
Smack Laurel / Smack Sarah / Smack Eliza all missing with all hands / Smack Lurline caught fire / Smack New Catherine Stranded / Smack Alderman Ferries went ashore / Smack Spray ran ashore / lives lost ?

The Yarmouth Smack Willie lost mast gear and 3 men she was skippered by John Mann who after 40 years at sea said he had never seen a worse time or snarlier sea.
His smack was laying-to under close reefed canvas whent he fleet jibed round on the other tack just before midnight. Two lads where on lookout when a heavy sea came aboard poured along the deck and down below. The vessel rolled over on her beam ends and masts went by the board, but the boys where unhurt. Everything on deck was swept away, the fishing gear went overboard on the weather side and the warp ran out. The skippers son and 2 men where missing probably washed away when the bulwarks went. The rest of the crew baled all night and at dawn John Mann found one of the pump boxes and tying a handspike across it succeded in pumping the smack free of water, but every scrap of food and water had been ruined. After freezing in the icy wind for hours the crew sighted a Hull smack which bore down to the rescue, threw out a boat and supplied much needed food and water and firing. Next the warp was made fast and the willie towed for 3 days and nights untill Grimsby was reached.

There where also many vessels which made port unscathed but had lost crewmen overboard, there was also much as much devastation in all other quarters of shipping including the Wells lifeboat Eliza Adams which capsized with the loss of 11 of her 13 man crew while going to the assistance of the brig Ocean Queen.

treeve
24th February 2007, 21:36
It really doesn't bear thinking about, what men and boys went through ( and still go through ) to bring food to our tables.

Kerbtrawler
26th March 2007, 12:48
Good Afternoon all Lowestoft Fishing Experts

I'm Looking for details on the Boston Harrier LT 76

Any info would be welcome

Cheers

Roger Griffiths
26th March 2007, 12:58
Hello Trevor,
http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp?searchFor=acadia+snowbird&index=99235

regards
Dodger

Kerbtrawler
26th March 2007, 13:12
Thanks for that Dodger or Rodger

Have a nice day

fishmwife
11th April 2007, 19:28
has anyone seen the pictures of the fishing vessel starlight on here or the fishing vessel sunlight

treeve
14th July 2007, 13:39
Previous Information I had was ...
LT412 Mincarlo
1991 Converted back as a trawler & opened to the public.
[Owned by the Lydia Eva & Mincarlo Charitable Trust Ltd.]
Last surviving Lowestoft built and engined side-fishing trawler.

This is no longer the case; there are now two of these vessels.

LT371 Bryher survives ....
I have been informed by the current owner that she is moored in
South Wales and being repaired. She has been there from 2005
and is still there February 2007.
I have been given a photograph - small version here.

LT457 Rosevear was scrapped 1985

Best Wishes, Raymond

Bryher, Mincarlo and Rosevear at ...
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/vess3.htm
Pictures menu at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/whpp.htm

gil mayes
14th July 2007, 20:56
BRYHER (LT371) has been on the mud at Northam just west of Appledore Shipbuilders shed for several years and was still there June 2007. I quote from my (SmaShipData) monthly sales, renamings list dated 8.2001.
" BRYHER (ex LT371-92), 166g 30,0m 500bhp m.vessel (former trawler-92). Acquired by Glover Marine, Bideford having been abandoned in Milford with harbour dues and other charges unpaid; part converted to liveaboard. Towed Bideford by Datchet, beached at Northam and intended to strip."
Gil.

gil mayes
14th July 2007, 21:31
Looking at the link Raymond, ROSEVEAR went back to Scupham in 1.1983, but strangely I have no record of seeing her in Lowestoft while I was working in Richards. Also EAGER (LT1166) was engined by Crabtree. From FMHT database.

EAGER (LT1166) (drifter/trawler) (1945-1947)
O.N.132962 102g 47n 88.0 x 19.1 x 9.0 feet
T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Great Yarmouth
1954: Re-engined with 300bhp 3-cyl AKDdiesel by W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft

7.3.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.528) for Sidney G. Allerton, Lowestoft as Eager. 1912: Completed. Registered at Lowestoft (LT1166). 1933: Part ownership transferred to Frederick Spashett, Lowestoft. 1945: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (B. A. Parkes, manager) 1947: Sold to Henry B. Roberts, Lowestoft. 1951: Sold to Eager Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (J. W. Burwood, manager). 1953: Sold to W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft. 1953: Transferred to Diesel Trawlers Ltd, Lowestoft(Edward W. Podd, manager). 1963: Sold to Gamashie Fishing & Marketing Co, Accra, Ghana. 1972: Sunk.
Gil.

treeve
14th July 2007, 22:44
Thank you so much Gil for the update ...
solved a lot of questions I had in my mind
but did not like to say in case I was wrong.
I will now update my pages, thank you again.
Best Wishes, Raymond

treeve
15th July 2007, 00:39
Pages updated thanks, Gil ...
Please can you clarify on ROSEVEAR.
I had fairly reliable info that she was returned to an
owner named Davey in Lowestoft in 1983. I thought.
If you have anything definite as to Milford in 1983,
I would very much appreciate it ... I have tried to make
as complete and as correct a set of pages on WH Podd
as I can ... in fact I like to think that I have achieved
that throughout the site. Best Wishes, Raymond

ps ... just to the stern of BRYHER is PZ622 - ex SILVER HARVESTER
can you help with any details of her, please, I have DEFRA info and that is all.
She left Newlyn around 2003, it seems.

gil mayes
15th July 2007, 10:11
Raymond, you have done an excellent job with W. H. Podd, I only wish that some of the other companies were researched in as much depth. ROSEVEAR, it may well be that she passed to a chap called Davey, but I have her sold to Scupham in 1.1983 with a view to 'conversion' whatever that meant; she does not appear as a British registered fishing vessel in the 1985 Olsens, ie. correct to 31 Jul 1984. I again quote from my sales list dated 5.2002. You will be aware that Norrard tried to get rid of their entire fleet in 9.1976 and set a price on BRYHER of £54k and ROSEVEAR of £38k. In that month ROSEVEAR topped the Milford monthly landings with a 227kit catch grossing £5,110.

SILVER HARVESTER (PZ622), (ex Jan Maarten-79, Rose Marie-72), 206g 33,7m 945bhp beamer. Built Zaandam-1967. Sold by Sk. William M. Hoskins, Helston, after acceptance of vessel for decommissioning payment, to Anthony Glover, Bideford as agent for decommissioning. Being stripped and broken up at Bideford by Glover Marine using PANURGIC (102gt/1935) as a crane barge."
As we know this process did not get very far and as of june 2007 she remains on the mud at Northam.
Gil.

treeve
15th July 2007, 14:22
Thanks for your kind comments - I know that David Podd was
so taken with it all - I knew there was a connection with my
part of the world, so I determined to complete the research.
It very much depends on other people's kindness, it has to be
said, on how much can be achieved.
Thank you too for the info on Silver Harvester.
A remarkable coincidence that two ships with different histories,
yet with a common link with Cornwall should end up as mud mates.
Best Wishes, Raymond

tim frary
23rd July 2007, 02:48
hi i once owned a 30,ft fishing boat yh47 tidemaster when i lived in wells she was sold to a man from lowestoft.do any one know what happend to her and have some photos of her ..... thank tim

LTsteamdrifter
8th August 2007, 20:11
Details of DOVE LT 646

Wooden 2 masted, sailing trawler, round stern (Carvel, Built Dandy)
Owner Wm Breach snr
Blt Daniel Fuller, Lowestoft. 1873. (23rd December)
67.6 x 18.9 x 9.3ft 52.93 n.t 52.93 g.t 52.93 udk O.N.69804
Blt for Wm Breach snr (64) dated 6.1.1874 mg owner 12.11.75.

24.1.1877 Sailed from Lowestoft for the fishing grounds and was not heard of again. Believe lost in the gale of 30.1.1877. Lost with all hands.
Richard J.Finch. Master
Wm Shepherd, F.Parnell, Geo W.Levell, Howse (Boy)

I believe Wm Breach jnr was Master of her at some time during her career
1/1874 Lowestoft (New vessel)

00_Doyle
2nd November 2007, 18:27
I got this info from Mattrosa in the Grimsby Forum, but was hoping if anyone could furnish me with any other details, owners in 1930's etc.....

There is a Just Reward in the 1926 Olsen, but it is Lowestoft registered, so is probably not the one you are after.

Just in case, it is LT 726; ON 145775; 42 net tons; built 1919 Lowestoft, owner C. E. Beamish and others, Lowestoft.

Roger Griffiths
2nd November 2007, 19:21
Hello,
JUST REWARD O/N145775 was the EX FIRELIGHT also LT726 which was registered in Lowestoft 16/2/1920, I assume direct from the builders. I don't know who her owners were, Her name was changed 25/5/1921 to JUST REWARD and as far as I can tell she was always registered in Lowestoft and her owners were C Beamish and others from this date until her demise in 1943. So as already stated I don't think this is the vessel you are looking for.
As well as looking at sources such as Olsens and Lloyds register, I would try Scarborough Central Library they seem to hold the registers of Scarborough vessels for the last century.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectList.asp?subjectType=O&LR=1002
If you hit a blank, come back we will always try and help you further.

Roger

billblow
3rd November 2007, 11:00
I've pasted this straight from my funnel marking thread to see if I get a response from East Anglian SN members
Can we try to establish these East Anglian fishing company funnel markings thay are a bit more recent. I would like...............
Bloomfields Ltd. fishing out of Gt Yarmouth
Clan S.F.Co (Grimsby) Ltd. fishing out of Lowestoft. Same as Gy marking ?
Colne F.Co Ltd.
Putford Enterprises Ltd.
Claridges Trawlers Ltd.
Small & Co. (Lowestoft) Ltd.
Drifter Trawlers Ltd.
Dagon Fishing Co. Ltd.
Huxley Fishing Co.

Many thanks
Bill Blow

itfc rules
13th November 2007, 00:30
could anyone help me track down a picture of the St Patrick, she was a stern trawler and fished out of lowestoft in the 80's

itfc rules
13th November 2007, 11:00
Could anyone help me track down info and pics of the Carlisle, She fished from lowestoft in the late 70's - 80's but came into grimsby often.

hulltrawler
13th November 2007, 11:31
Hi itfc
I have a picture of the St Patrick Lt 129 I have placed it on the link below

http://www.kokand.karoo.net/lt129.jpg

Regards Chris.

itfc rules
13th November 2007, 13:44
Thanks, thats an excellent picture just what i was looking for, my dad was the first mate on her. :)

hulltrawler
13th November 2007, 16:43
No problem

link now taken off
Regards Chris.

Richard John Burton
9th February 2008, 16:54
I am seeking imfo on the above boat she was built for John Breach of
Lowestoft in 1898 with her sister ship Strive LT766 the last of 17 sailing
boats built for John Breach before he sold the entire fleet in 1900 and invested in steam. She was aquired by my Gt Grandfather William Burrell
in 1905 who converted her to steam with one of his own 8hp compound
engines probably engine No1 as up to then they had only made steam capstems. She is mentioned in David Butcher book "Drifterman" p109
and described by the cook Herbert Doy as "struggling to steam against the tide"
Any imfo especially photos as a sailin or steam boat would be most welcome
thanks in anticipation.
Richard Burton

treeve
9th February 2008, 17:09
Non narrative reply
FAME LT 754
Wooden, 2 masted, Sailing Drifter, Elliptical stern,(Carvel built, Ketch)
Built : H.Reynolds, Lowestoft. 1898.
Dimensions : 62.0 x 17.15 x 8.0ft
Tonnage : 38.79 n.t. 38.79 g.t. 38.56 udk.
O.N.109566. Became YH 854 GY
Built for John Breach (16) mg owner 13.7.98.

J.Harrington (32) dated 21.7.1898.
W.Allerton. (16)

Wm Burrell. (64) 19.8.1905. mg owner 18.8.05

Emma Bishop.(Haverford West) 1912 – 18

W.Greaves.(Lowestoft) 1918 – 19

R.C.Maynard.(Cleethorpes)

1905. Sold to Wm Burrell and re-registered YH 854. A 8 h.p (40 i.h.p.) Compound
engine was installed by the owner. Also installed was an Elliot & Garrood
boiler and a Burrell capstan. 17 n.t. as steamer.
1907. Engine removed.
1920. Reduced to a hulk.

25/1898 Lowestoft.

Registry closed 19.8.1905. Vessel transferred to Yarmouth.
Certificate delivered up and cancelled. Advice received from owner.

Best Wishes, Raymond

trawlermanpete
9th February 2008, 21:29
I am looking for photos of two trawlers that sailed from LT in the mid 70's they were the Waddington and St Croix both were owned by Colnes hope you can help

Pete

Lord Hood
10th February 2008, 18:35
Lowestoft Information

LT531 Pinto - Sold out of fishing in May 1997.

LT1166 Eager - The Spashett part ownership of this vessel is typical of Fredericks business manner. There was not much that the Spashetts/Small & Co. did not get involved in at Lowestoft. They even owned the largest fish selling company at Lowestoft and the ice company, unfortuately some owners failed to pay their dues and subsequently lost some of their assets to the Spashetts or Small & Co. due to default.

LT412 Mincarlo - The last remaining Lowestoft built trawler with a Lowestoft manufactured engine. Her owners make this point in many of their publications and I believe this to be correct. She was not the last trawler built at Lowestoft as some sources state, there were many built after her.
However she is unique and this was one of the reasons she was sold to the Trust as Putford Merlin for £1. Today she is in the Inner Harbour at Lowestoft and is due to move to the Heritage Quay for the summer tourist season.

LT371 Bryher - I understand she was re-engined many years ago. No longer has a Lowestoft AKD engine.

LT457 Rosevear - 1983 Sold to T.R. & J. Davey, Lowestoft.

Podd vessels passed to WFA in 1968 and Rosevear, Mincarlo, Bryher were sold off with other vessels of that fleet by the WFA. Serious money problems I understand !!!!!
All three were managed by BDSF at Lowestoft.

The Brooke Marine shipyard where the three Podd trawlers were built has been sold to a developer and is to "erased". 650 properties will be built there with a 20 storey block of flats and a marina with 130 yacht moorings. This will be the fifth yacht marina in Lowestoft. Once home to the Scottish drifter fleet in the autumn herring season, Hamilton Dock is now a yacht marina and home to the Lowestoft "fleet" of around 12 inshore boats.

treeve
10th February 2008, 19:01
Thank you Lord Hood for the info on Podd vessels ..
I will fold that in on the pages
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/whp.htm
Best Wishes, Raymond

Richard John Burton
10th February 2008, 19:53
Non narrative reply
FAME LT 754
Wooden, 2 masted, Sailing Drifter, Elliptical stern,(Carvel built, Ketch)
Built : H.Reynolds, Lowestoft. 1898.
Dimensions : 62.0 x 17.15 x 8.0ft
Tonnage : 38.79 n.t. 38.79 g.t. 38.56 udk.
O.N.109566. Became YH 854 GY
Built for John Breach (16) mg owner 13.7.98.

J.Harrington (32) dated 21.7.1898.
W.Allerton. (16)

Wm Burrell. (64) 19.8.1905. mg owner 18.8.05

Emma Bishop.(Haverford West) 1912 – 18

W.Greaves.(Lowestoft) 1918 – 19

R.C.Maynard.(Cleethorpes)

1905. Sold to Wm Burrell and re-registered YH 854. A 8 h.p (40 i.h.p.) Compound
engine was installed by the owner. Also installed was an Elliot & Garrood
boiler and a Burrell capstan. 17 n.t. as steamer.
1907. Engine removed.
1920. Reduced to a hulk.

25/1898 Lowestoft.

Registry closed 19.8.1905. Vessel transferred to Yarmouth.
Certificate delivered up and cancelled. Advice received from owner.

Best Wishes, Raymond
Raymond
Thanks for that. There is some good plan drawings of the Strive LT766 by Edgar March in his book "Sailing Drifters 1952" so I quess that the Fame would look identical. But finding a picture, sail or steam would be great.
Regards Richard

treeve
10th February 2008, 21:10
Hi Richard, I have not yet got that far in the writing,
I jump from one project to another to keep my sanity.
All best, Raymond
... but there ain't no sanity clause...

Roger Griffiths
14th February 2008, 15:40
Hello,
Just to let you know I have given, in the form of a CD Rom, The Returns of Lowestoft Fishing Boats 1884 to 1938, to the Lowestoft Library.
These documents are photographic copies of the originals held at the National Archives. The returns were made to the Board of Trade and list all fishing vessels, not just trawlers and drifters. They are a useful research tool when used in conjunction with other sources.
Lowestoft library tell me they will be available for public use within the next few weeks.
I have attached a sample page.

Roger

treeve
14th February 2008, 16:07
What a decent chap you are, Roger! Best Wishes, Raymond

Lord Hood
15th February 2008, 13:22
Hello,
Just to let you know I have given, in the form of a CD Rom, The Returns of Lowestoft Fishing Boats 1884 to 1938, to the Lowestoft Library.
These documents are photographic copies of the originals held at the National Archives. The returns were made to the Board of Trade and list all fishing vessels, not just trawlers and drifters. They are a useful research tool when used in conjunction with other sources.
Lowestoft library tell me they will be available for public use within the next few weeks.

Roger

Hello,

This is excellent news for Lowestoft. This information will add to the already very comprehensive history and photographic archive of Lowestoft fishing vessels and owners to be found in the Record Office. If some of the landings included on the CD were made by Lowestoft owned but Yarmouth registered vessels, perhaps the Time and Tide museum at Yarmouth would like a copy. This large museum is housed in a well preserved extensive curing works and has accumulated a large archive relating to Yarmouth's major role in the British fishing industry.

Kind Regards

Roger Griffiths
16th February 2008, 17:54
Hello Lord Hood,
The records on the CD rom refer only to Lowestoft registered vessels regardless of where they landed.
Yarmouth has a seperate series of returns which I am working on at the moment, together with Milford, Brixham, Penzance and Shields.

regards
Roger

Pisces
4th April 2008, 09:43
One I forgot from the list of belgian built was
LT531 Pinto A19041 1954 [1996] Wooden
Any details, please?

The Pinto LT531 was owned by Eric Crickmore of Lowestoft I purchased licence from him for a good friend of mine in Peterhead David John Foreman.
I don't remember who Eric sold the boat to but will ask him as he is a very good friend of mine,and he had her for many years.
It may fill in the gaps you require.
Capt Cliff.

mattarosa
4th April 2008, 15:54
[QUOTE=Roger Griffiths;188301]Hello,

What a brilliant thing to have done! I am sure many researchers will have cause to be grateful to you.

Kind regards
Hilary

chrismonkhouse
4th April 2008, 18:17
Hello everybody. I am a new member, and am part of the Lydia Eva & Mincarlo Trust. We own the Lydia Eva YH89 steam drifter, built 1930, presently being restored with the help of a Heritage Lottery grant, and the Lowestoft side trawler Mincarlo LT412. I would be grateful for any information or photographs of these two ships. Lydia Eva was requisitioned by the RAF duirng the war and renamed Watchmoor in 1947, and we would particularly like pictures of her at this time.

TSJ59
5th April 2008, 00:42
Hello - I've a 1983 photo of Lydia Eva in my collection. See attached thumb. PM me if you want a copy.

Cheers, Terry

treeve
5th April 2008, 01:34
Hello everybody. I am a new member, and am part of the Lydia Eva & Mincarlo Trust. We own the Lydia Eva YH89 steam drifter, built 1930, presently being restored with the help of a Heritage Lottery grant, and the Lowestoft side trawler Mincarlo LT412. I would be grateful for any information or photographs of these two ships. Lydia Eva was requisitioned by the RAF duirng the war and renamed Watchmoor in 1947, and we would particularly like pictures of her at this time.

Hello and welcome ...
You can clip anything you need from
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/vess3.htm
as you read above, I have some updates to do, as well, so check them off with what Lord Hood has offered.
some pictures at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/whpp.htm

Best Wishes, Raymond

johnodawson
10th April 2008, 15:37
whilst in Milford Haven on Wednesday 9 April I came across an ex Lowestoft trawler named Monkleigh registerd in Hartlepool. She was the former LT 277 Valiant Star later to become Boston Valiant. Looked pretty derelict and had a for sale notice in the wheelhouse window. Don't know how many ex LT trawlers are still around in this country apart from Hatherleigh.
new member John Dawson born in Lowestoft 1951 and many memorys of Lowestoft harbour from the 1960s early 70s

brixhamrfc
14th April 2008, 07:32
A reply to a youtube vid I loaded, suggests that Mareverma (ex LT 526) has finally made it to Spain ! I have asked the contributor for more info, ie, where exactly is it ....

Nilocd
16th April 2008, 10:52
hello Clem.
Have just joined forum and wondered if you have any info, pics etc about the Diesel engine builders AK Diesels. I know Podds boats had a few of them installed locally.
Best wishes Colin (Nilocd)

Happy Days
19th April 2008, 14:16

Regards

Clem
Hi Clem, do you have LT297 Fritton on your list? I have a photo of her when my Dad was her skipper.

paulg123
2nd May 2008, 14:44
Hi everyone, here is a list of vessels I'm currently researching. So if anyone reading this has any information of any kind relating to these vessels (including pics), please let me know by posting here or by PM.

Regards

Clem

LT140 Moreleigh
LT188 Tritonia
LT203 Annrobin
LT245 J.A.P.
LT246 Fellowship
LT298 Barton Queen
LT326 Yellowtail
LT335 Loch Lorgan
LT434 Jacklyn

Hi Clem

I have a framed picture of the Tritonia LT188, it was owned by my Gt.Gt.Grandfather Sydney Tripp of Kessingland. He was son of William Thomas Tripp.
Any other info would be appreaciated.

regards
Paul

peppie
17th May 2008, 15:34
info wanted on beam trawler C.K.Amber LT315 owner C&L Trawlers, skipper David Schilling ( 1983) came from Holland in 1979, what happened to her?

treeve
10th June 2008, 18:16
I have just become aware of a drifter named THE THRIFTY - LT 152; not the Official Number 149228 built in 1916 ex BALTIC/FERNANDO/LIMBURGIA. Please can anyone help with any details? Best Wishes, Raymond

Roger Griffiths
10th June 2008, 20:21
Hello Raymond,
Not a lot I'm afraid.
THRIFTY according to the Returns of Lowestoft Fishing Vessels she was O/N 149228 and entered the LT register 27/2/1930 LT152 139 grt 68 nrt.
There is a comment on her first entry ex, LIMBURGIA Dutch. I can find her from Olsens 1947 up to 1954 owned by Kittiwake ltd Lowestoft.

regards
Roger

gil mayes
10th June 2008, 21:54
Ray
Not quite sure what you want to know. Roger is correct in what he states above. She was a trawler turned over to a drifter, built 1916 by Gebrs Boot Schps "de Hoop", Leiderdorp (no Yd.No.) as Baltic later Fernande, Limburgia. Dimensions were originally 99.7 x 20.4 x 9.5 ft but in the British register she was 100.4 x 20.5 x9.8ft. She had a triple 28NHP by NV Burgerhouts M & S, Rotterdam.
Gil.

treeve
11th June 2008, 09:30
Thank you Roger and Gil ... I had my doubts it could be any other one, you have confirmed it (and added a lot of detail); We have to ask these questions when we are told something. This is the right place to ask them, All the best, Raymond

treeve
15th June 2008, 21:04
Some time ago, I have a memory of having read that Richards Ironworks/Shipbuilding of Lowestoft was founded by a gentleman name Richards who left Penzance at a young age, around 1890? Is this correct, and please can anyone assist in any details? Best Wishes, Raymond

LisaC
16th June 2008, 07:14
Hi, I have a copy of an amateur film that was made by 4 of the Richards workers in 1976 celebrating their centenary year. The film states that Sam Richards left his father's boatyard in Mounts Bay, Cornwall and sailed to Lowestoft to establish himself as a shipbuilder and started up Richards in 1876, he passed away in 1919 and the business was taken over by his three sons. In 1953 Richards bought out Harvey Wilson & Osborne (the Wilsons being my ancestors). Hope this litte bit of information is of interest.
Kind regards
Lisa
Perth, Western Australia

treeve
16th June 2008, 12:20
Welcome Lisa to SN from clear across the world, in sunny Cornwall.
Many thanks for that information, it is amazing just where my notes go,
Best Wishes and Thank you, a very grateful Raymond

BarryJ
16th June 2008, 14:55
Clem -

Do you (or anyone on the forum) have any info on the Lowestoft owners of any of the following vessels (with year)?

BASS ROCK LT646 (1919)
BURNHAVEN LT164 (c.1945)
CHANTICLEER LT286 (1901)
EAGLE LT975 (1903)
ESLEA LT46 (1908)
GLOSS LT568 (1919)
HYACINTH LT997 (1903)
INVERCAIRN LT110 (c.1938-45)
JACKEVE LT116 (c.1938?)
LAURUS LT46 ? (1929)
LOYAL STAR LT111 (1913)
NELLIE LT?? ON108431 b.1898. (1901)
PARAMOUNT LT1116 (1911)
PURSUIT LT207 (1901)

All of them sailed out of Milford at some point, and are recorded on my website, but I had some trouble (as you can see) in tracing their Lowestoft owners, and some of their Lowestoft PRNs may be incorrect, apart from the one that's missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BarryJ

Gavin Gait
19th June 2008, 00:38
Just found out that the ex-Colne stern trawler St Philip LT144 has been burned out by an onboard fire in Leith docks ( she had been an oil rig standby vessel and was named Viking Vulcan ) I think on the 15th or 16th of June.

St Philip LT144
Year of construction : 1976
Place of Construction : Great Yarmouth
Registered Length(m) : 37.19
Gross Tonnage : 248.96
Net Tonnage : 74.18
Engine Power(kw) : 1105.5

There are a few photos on another site ( shipspotting ) if you search for them , they make pretty sad viewing though

brixhamrfc
20th June 2008, 10:13
Noted, if I find a decent photo of Iago, I'll upload it. I would like to find a photo of the wreck of her on the Tigers Tail at Fleetwood.

gil mayes
20th June 2008, 21:50
brixamrfc. Do not understand your comment.
Gil.

Shane25
5th July 2008, 12:17
Hello all

I have just found a picture in the house i have just moved into of a Lowestoft Drifter LT184, the only information i can find is that it's called George Spashett.

So does any one have any more information on this ship please?

Thank you

Shane

Kerbtrawler
5th July 2008, 20:27
All I have is that she was built in 1950
97 Gross Tons
Owned by Small & Co Lowestoft

cheers

treeve
5th July 2008, 21:01
George Spashett LT 184
Call Signal MKZT; ON 183971
36 grt
81 x 21 x 9 ft Steel;
diesel 1 x 4 cyl 240 hp Ruston;
1950 Richards Lowestoft \Yd Nr 401.
built for Vigilant FCL
Transferred 1960 to Kittiwake L
1965 sold Langusta TCL Capetown; 1967 ren Langusta I

PS Trev, will write next week, thanks.

Best Wishes, Raymond

Kerbtrawler
6th July 2008, 18:12
No worries Raymond

Anyone tell me about the Trawler Museum in Lowestoft
I am planning to take my father there.

I am after directions, opening times and costs

Thanks everyone

Kerbtrawler
8th July 2008, 19:12
Hi all

I am after a colour photo of the Northern Reward

Can anyone Help

Cheers

treeve
8th July 2008, 20:28
Don't forget Steve's painting of Northern Gift, sister ship to Northern Reward on trawlerart.

treeve
28th July 2008, 12:34
Gratitude of Gothenburg is a training vessel, she is supposed to have been built in Porthleven, for Brixham as GRATITUDE; given as ON 117484; Chapman Great Sailing Ships of the World By Otmar Schauffelen states she was built for Brixham in 1907, yet she has a Lowestoft allocated Official Number, in sequence with the NIL DESPERANDUM LT 175 [ ON 117485 ], which was built for Breach also registered Lowestoft 1903. Unless she worked from Brixham, and was registered in Lowestoft? The 1921 FV list gives Gratitude as being built in 1903 at Porthleven, with owner Charles E Gower of Lowestoft. Please can anyone help with any details of the GRATITUDE? Best Wishes, Raymond.

gil mayes
28th July 2008, 18:50
Raymond
No expert on these drifters but I thought GRATITUDE (115015) 60grt was built in 1902 by either Sanders or Gibbs & Co, Galhampton. GRATITUDE was registered at Lowestoft 20.3.1902 (LT177). I have not traced her beyond her initial registration.
Gil.

treeve
28th July 2008, 19:19
Thanks Gil ... it looks like there is a whole field of confusion out there on Gratitude; David Asprey quotes from the Mercantile Navy list for 1921 that Gratitude was ON 117484 built 1903 Porthleven 59grt/nrt. I wonder if the first vessel ON 115015 was transferred/lost, and so was replaced? Looks like this is a case for getting a transcription from the Fishing Vessel Registers at Lowestoft. I am not at all sure where the Brixham connection comes in either.
Best Wishes, Raymond

gil mayes
29th July 2008, 14:57
Raymond,
Found the other GRATITUDE (117484) 59grt. Registered at Lowestoft 9.9.1903 as (LT1005), however, she is a 1st class sailing trawler. She was sold 28.2.1919 but retained her Lowestoft registration and the Lowestoft registry was eventually closed 21.10.1930 "sold foreign". So as a sailing trawler she could well have been built at Porthleven or Brixham. Someone may have yard lists.
Gil.

treeve
29th July 2008, 17:28
Gil ... Thanks very much - she fits the bill exactly, brilliant, All Best, Raymond

treeve
29th July 2008, 23:19
David Asprey writes ...
ON 117484 - ketch rigged
58nrt/grt 71.0 x 19.3 x 9.3ft
built 1903 John Bowden, Porthleven (wood)

1903 William Lang, Lowestoft, smackowner
1910 Frederick Lang, Lowestoft, smackowner
1919 Charles Edwin Gower, Lowestoft, hairdresser
1925 Frank Clement Burton, Lowestoft, butcher (died 22/5/1930)
1930 Henry Prior & Rodvers Gouldby, Lowestoft, fish salesmen
1930 sold to Sweden

pitchers
28th August 2008, 00:21
Hello everyone.
I am actually trying to find out some information about my great great grandfather. I have been told he was the skipper of The Honey Bee a fishing boat, fishing off Lowestoft in the 1st world war, he and his crew kept guns aboard in case of attck by Germans. sure enough one night they were attacked while fishing and my G.G. Grandfather was shot and killed some crew survived. His name was Charles Pitchers, I think it was Charles as all the other grandfathers were called Charles, as is my son. I am looking for some authenticity of this story i.e was there a fishing boat called The honey Bee e.tc thankyou for reading this from the great great grand daughter.

Roger Griffiths
28th August 2008, 01:04
Hello,
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=397695
I am sure others will give you details of QUEEN BEE.

Roger

pitchers
28th August 2008, 01:17
Hello Roger

Thank you so much, I am amazed to get so much information so quickly
Extremely grateful

Pitchers

Roger Griffiths
28th August 2008, 10:44
Hello again,
QUEEN BEE was sunk on the 4/7/1916 by the German Submarine UB23 commanded by Oberleutnant zur See, Ernst Voigt. 25 miles EbN of Whitby.
If you want details of your GGG/D's ship. Try an e-mail to Lowestoft library lowestoft.ro@libher.suffolkcc.gov.uk
and ask them for details of QUEEN BEE official number 91743. port number LT144 they may be able to help.
It appears that your GGG/D was the only casualty. I don't know how far you wish to take your inquiries but the logbooks for QUEEN BEE 1916 are located in the National archive at Kew.

Roger

RayL
28th August 2008, 14:51
Please can anyone tell me whether or not a great storm occurred on 10 May 1862 affecting the Great Yarmouth area? The eldest son of my ancestral family (which lived in Gorleston) perished at sea on that date and was buried there but I have no other details, so knowing whether a storm was taking place at that very time would be a helpful start in my research regarding him. Thanks in advance.

pitchers
28th August 2008, 19:12
Dear Roger
Thank you once again for the information. It is amazing to go from just knowing one piece of information to the wealth of information you have so kindly provided. I am in the process of following up the leads you have given me and sharing them with my Mother as we are putting family history together. I was extremely touched by the memorial words from the link you provided and the entry from the archives on the thumb nail got the whole family gathered round the computer, it was quite a moment.
Thank you you're a star!

Best wishes
Pitchers

chormy
29th August 2008, 07:08
Hi Clem

Do you have any info on her, my Grandfather was skipper for a long while, Sam Sarbutt, I have just had a painting done of her. Last I heard she wa off to the med, but have heard no more.

Saveman
9th October 2008, 11:56
Hi there!

Can anyone give me any information on a Lowestoft Steam drifter with the reg "LT 64"?

I know she was still underway in 1925.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

cheers :)

(Thumb)

Roger Griffiths
9th October 2008, 13:18
Hello,
LT64 from 1/7/1913 until 8/6/1931when she was deleted from the LT register and notified as a total loss, was LOYAL FRIEND official number 135753, 85 gross registered ton's,
You will probably get more information when others read this thread. If not then Lowestoft Library lowestoft.ro@libher.suffolkcc.gov.uk is your best bet. For a small fee they will give you all the records they have, However if you are near to Lowestoft then it may pay you to visit personaly.
Most of LOYAL FRIEND's logbooks and crew agreements are lodged with The Memorial University of Newfoudland http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=135753
The one for 1925 is in the British National Archive at Kew.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=135753&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=26&image1.y=11

Roger

Steve Farrow
9th October 2008, 19:01
Saveman,
If you go to the Gallery and type in Loyal Friend, you will find a photo I posted of her sinking alongside the North Pier at Aberdeen in 1931

Steve

Saveman
9th October 2008, 23:29
Thank you! That's been a big help.

I work for this website http://www.ambaile.org

We have a photo of Loyal Friend entering Wick harbour in 1925 (only "LT 64" is visible)....it will be going online next month. I'm trying to get as much info as possible to include with the photo on the site.

After seeing her in the photo we have, then seeing her sinking 6 years later is quite poignant.

JohnPitchers
12th October 2008, 22:18
I am a first-time interloper from Norfolk. A friend has a small, old, watercolour painting of a trawler or drifter with the registration LT472, signed by a Martin Shields dated, I would guess at being from the early 1900s'. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the history of this boat.

Looking through the threads I was surprised to find a couple from a young lady with the same, unusual, Pitchers surname as me researching Lowestoft Pitchers' fishing boats. My branch of, I assume, the same family had a drifter fleet out of Yarmouth from the late 1800s' to the start of the 1st. world war when the current fleet was recquisitioned, never to re-form. My great, great grandfather was James, a christian name which was repeated over the years.

I have traced over 80 YH rergistered Pitchers owned drifters and have a family tree going back to before the early days of the fleet. If Ms. Pitchers would care to contact me we can compare notes.

robandbarbara
12th October 2008, 22:33
Feasable - LT122 still being " attended to" at Penzance. 10.Sept. 2008.
Rob

Roger Griffiths
12th October 2008, 23:00
Hello,
LT 472 28/7/1885 until 29/12/1916 was EXCELSIOR O/N 91705

roger

garbutt
28th October 2008, 18:56
Hi im very interested in the painters of the smacks and drifters of lowestoft and great yamouth as for meny this was there main income i have 3 painting sofar in my collection LT375 golden hope painted in 1891.LT982 lord milner both smacks/sail and one water collour LT 746 margaret hide dated 1936 drifter any info on these vessels and may be help in tracking down some more painting of DRIFTERS & SMACKS. all the best nick of lowestoft.

g1noR890025
29th October 2008, 15:50
(Thumb) Hello Garbutt, don't know if you're from Lowestoft or surrounding area but I used to be a regular in The Dukes Head at Somerleyton. I was looking at a picture on the wall of an old fishing boat that used to sail out of Lowestoft many years before my time. An old man sitting nearby looked up at me and with a big grin said to me "thas the Seven Sisters, but as not wot we called her wen I woos onut. We called her The Bunch a C***s.
Doubt very much if it's still there today, it was about 30yrs ago (Thumb)
Best regards. Gino

Frances1311
5th November 2008, 21:34
My GGGrandfather Arthur Mason was apprenticed to a fihing boat age 13 on 4.5.1872, bound for 8 years. Lowestoft. He was certified as skipper on 7.12.1883.
Fishing vessels he was on were:-
Ocean Queen 1876, 1877, 1878 1879
Emily 1886, 1887, 1888,1889,1890 Skipper 01453
Excel 1904, 1905 Skipper 1453
Maud of Scotland 1905
Samaritan 1899, 1900, 1901, 1902 1903
Mizpah 1906 and 1907

Sadly Arthur drowned 19.11.1907 when Mizpah LT607 was lost in a collision with the steam drifter Atlanta 8 miles E.N.E. of South Cross Sand Buoy. Mizpah was cut in two and crew had to jump for their lives. 9 in crew.

I would love to have information on any of these boats.

My Grandfather William Mason (Bill) was his youngest son and also went on the fishing boats. He made models of all the boats he was on and the one he gave my Mother is in the museum in Lowestoft, it's name is Boys Friend.

Dick Barton
17th November 2008, 17:32
I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the Queen Bee which was sunk by a German submarine on the 4th of July. The skipper Charles Pitchers lost his life in the attack. He is my wifes Great Grandfather and we have just found his grave maintained by the War Commission in St Michaels church, Oulton.

Can anybody help with any more details.

Thanks

Dick

mrs33
3rd January 2009, 19:07
Hi,ive been looking for pictures of the St Patrick that sailed from Lowestoft,and would be very grateful if you would put a link on again so that i can view it,
yours sincerely,Matt.

dickjburton
26th January 2009, 20:04
Hi Clem / all
Have you any imfo on LT168 Advisable ONo 149245 built by J.Chambers
Lowestoft 1930. Did she go to Newfoundland in the 1950s.
Regards
Dick

mickey D
8th February 2009, 20:45
Hello everyone, I am doing my family tree.And my G-G-Uncle Mr C T Day
owned Drifters & trawers from 1866 to 1918. 33 that I know of at this
time. As this is my first time I will put the first 5 names in to see what
happens Young Linnet Lt270 1869, Charles & Sarah Lt501 1870,
John & Elizabeth Lt555 1871, Tantivy Lt597 1872
Queen Of England Lt624 1873
Does any one have any info please?

collicott
15th February 2009, 17:07
hi clem just started to help father in law to find info on his grandad Colls Durrant . He owned fishing vessels out of Lowestoft during early 1900.He was the youngest person to skipper a ship at the time.The ships were The Boys Friend,Evening Primrose and The Girls Friend any ideas where to start would be much appreciated.

Kerbtrawler
16th February 2009, 20:14

Hi Mickey

I have found the Young Linnet in 1885 owned by C.T.Day
the charles & Sarah was owned by J Hall in 1885
the John & elizabeth was owned by C.T.Day 1885
the Tantivy is shown as being owned by C Day 1885
the Queen of England being owned by J Day 1885

In 1886
Its the same owners
I then have a gap until 1899 but cannot find any of the above or any mention of a C.T. Day
I have checked up to 1903 with the same result

I will keep checking and let you know

Cheers

kaygeebee
20th February 2009, 15:47
laid up as derelict hulk in 1970s on tigers tail at fleetwood at the entrane to fleetwood docks, in2000 after the spanish trawlersank on tigers tail new retaining wall was built and moreleige was used as part of new wall

Philip S Robinson
21st February 2009, 13:25
Lt. Commander Sam Robinson, RNVR (1912 – 1977) [on the Lowestoft drifter “Dick Whittington LT61 in the 1940s]
During the war, my dad Sam Robinson (who was an electrical engineer from Belfast) was on minesweeping duties. His research and M. Sc. thesis in Belfast was on de-magnetisation of minesweepers (I think by electrical circuits round the ship – degaussing?). At the start of the war he was on the Dick Whittington LT61 which was a requisitioned Lowestoft fishing boat.
I have just learnt that the Dick Whittington was an 80ft, wooden steam drifter built in 1913 and registered in Lowestoft. It had been requisitioned for service in World War 1 and then again in WW2 it was requisitioned by the Admiralty as a “De-Gaussing Vessel”. In 1945 it was returned to its owners.
The war-time Dover Command records my dad’s name in connection with the drifter:
Degaussing Mobile Wiping Unit - drifter DICK WHITTINGTON (Ty/Electrician Lt S Robinson RNVR) at Chatham, tenders LADY ESSE (no CO listed) at Chatham, LIV (no CO listed) at Dover.

It was great to read a posting on the Lowestoft site about a local's first fishing trip out to sea on the Dick Whittington with his uncle Billy. It is a wonderful story and brings the vessel to life. Although never out on a fishing boat myself, I have some close friends in the my neighbouring fishing village of Portavogie, County Down, and through them years ago joined the Portavogie Fishermen’s Choir. (A gospel choir formed in 1951 among the fishermen. It still fund-raises for the RNLI and the Mission to Deep-Sea Fishermen). Quite often at tea and buns after a service I am asked if I am a fisherman, and have to say no. But now I am rehearsing my line: “No, but my father worked on a Lowestoft drifter!”
PS This is my first post am new to the game and had a photo with this but it wouldn't copy - any suggestions?

mikemwf
27th February 2009, 08:39
Hi Mickey D
I am also researching family history. My GG grandfather was master of the Charles V Sarah LT501. His name is James C Hall He was at Falmouth on board with a crew of 10 on the night of the 1881 census. Would like to share information with you.

Frances1311
20th March 2009, 20:40
hi clem just started to help father in law to find info on his grandad Colls Durrant . He owned fishing vessels out of Lowestoft during early 1900.He was the youngest person to skipper a ship at the time.The ships were The Boys Friend,Evening Primrose and The Girls Friend any ideas where to start would be much appreciated.

Hello Nick, My Grandad, Bill Mason was on "Boys Friend" when he was a young man. He made a lovely model of it which he gave to my Mother, and it is on show in the museum at Lowestoft, Sparrows Nest. It is a good size in a glass case with a photo of Bill Mason.
Hope you can get to see it.
Frances.
Just found this I was given
[COLOR="Navy"]"Boys Friend"
1904-1917 LT398
1917-1920 GY1034 (Grimsby)
Wooden Ketch Rigged Carvel built trawler (Smack)
Official No 119376
71.7 feet long x 18.8 feet beam x 8.8 ft. draught
48.9 tons (59.29 gross)
Built 1904 by H Reynolds at Lowestoft for A.A. Hunt of Lowestoft.
Other owners 1911 A Ling Lowestoft
1917 CW Kendal of Grimsby
1917 H Parker and C Kendal of Grimsby
1919 H Parker Ltd Grimsby
21.1.06 Brought in crew of "Unexpected" abandoned on 19.1.06. "Unexpected" later picked up and taken to Ostend waterlogged.
11.11.1912 Damaged in collision with "Wellfare" BF1296 off Great Yarmouth
28.11.1913 Badly damaged in collision with "Sars Deur" LT343 off Yarmouth. "Sars Deur" was sunk.
2.2.1914 Ashore on North Beach Lowestoft. Service of Old Beach Company gig declined, but towed off by the tug "Dispatch"
1917 Converted to Cargo vessel
11.1.1920 Lost 3 miles off North Foreland during gale.

Hope this is of interest.

Frances.

garbutt
6th April 2009, 14:04
would you be interested in selling your boat painting
Hi Clem

Regards

NigelC

garbutt
25th April 2009, 10:41
hi im looking for information on LT 207 baden powell ,LT 152 pursuit,LT 358 name unnown all loewestoft drifters around 1906-1913 any help would be fantastic.

tim frary
12th July 2009, 01:50
hi im looking for any information on a fishing boat i had she was the tidemaster yh47 i sold her in 94 or 96 to a fisherman from lowestoft,any one know were she is today..... tim

edlin1
13th September 2009, 23:47
Hi Mickey

I have found the Young Linnet in 1885 owned by C.T.Day
the charles & Sarah was owned by J Hall in 1885
the John & elizabeth was owned by C.T.Day 1885
the Tantivy is shown as being owned by C Day 1885
the Queen of England being owned by J Day 1885

In 1886
Its the same owners
I then have a gap until 1899 but cannot find any of the above or any mention of a C.T. Day
I have checked up to 1903 with the same result

I will keep checking and let you know

Cheers

Hello Mickey

My great grandfather was on The Queen of England LT 624 in 1878
The Lowestoft record office sent me a copy of the crew agreements and it shows Owners JG Day in 1872 then in 1887 CT Day
The ship was registered from 1873-1892 and was a wooden 2 masted dandy converter clench
51.2 x 15.7 x 7.2
official number 67214
29.75 tons
Built 1873 by SR Sparham of Lowestoft

Hope that helps

Mandy

suffolkboy
28th September 2009, 21:46
I read with interest Mr Robinsons post about the Dick Whittington LT61,I am wondering if anybody else has any more information or photos.I am researching this vessel as I understand my Grandfather skippered her.

Regards suffolkboy

Steve Farrow
29th September 2009, 15:29
I read with interest Mr Robinsons post about the Dick Whittington LT61,I am wondering if anybody else has any more information or photos.I am researching this vessel as I understand my Grandfather skippered her.

Regards suffolkboy

Can you send me a P/M with your email address and I'll email a photo of her

Regards

Steve

Newfoundland Sailor
2nd October 2009, 02:46
I, my name is Clarence Vautier and I live in Newfoundland, Canada. I writtent two books and have some photos after the trawlers came to Canada. I can share them if you want, just got to find out which ones. I am now looking for a photo of the Boston Swallow built in 1949 as the LT 409, she was involved in a collision after she came to Canada. Thanks

davetodd
2nd October 2009, 12:06
hi im looking for information on LT 207 baden powell ,LT 152 pursuit,LT 358 name unnown all loewestoft drifters around 1906-1913 any help would be fantastic.
Hello Garbutt,
I think you have mixed namnes and numbers here!
The BADEN POWELL appears in the 1911 Olsen's Almanac as LT152
Official Number 110822 built 1900 at Beverley.
Owner Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifter Co.Ltd. Lowestoft
The PURSUIT appears in the 1903 Olsen's Almanac as LT207
Official Number 110814 built 1901 at Lowestoft.
Owner G.Breach Lowestoft.
Have not found LT358 yet.
Regards
Dave

davetodd
2nd October 2009, 12:21
One LT358 which may fit the bill is:-
Children's Hope LT358 O.N.128639 built 1909 at Lowestoft.
Owner in 1934 Olsen's Almanac is given as R.J.Tripp and O.W.Durrant Kessingland.
Regards
Dave

stevenclarke
14th October 2009, 13:18
Hi clem, I am just letting you know of a trawler out of Lowestoft called Young Jacob. This boat was taken over by the navy during the war and then called HM Trawler Young Jacob.(Harry Tates navy) It became a mine sweeper and my dad was on it as a young 18yr old. He met my mother while fishing and visiting North Shields where she was a fish filliter on the quay just before the war. The boat was taken over in 1939 and returned to Lowestoft in Jan 1946.

kaygeebee
17th November 2009, 20:48
help can anyone give me any info on my grandfather who was skipper in lowestoft /yarmouth drifters JAMES HENRY BRYANT when retired to live in felixstoe in sunderland seaplane house boat in 1960 came to live with his son in fleetwood died in1965
k bryant

kaygeebee
15th December 2009, 21:39
can anybody give informtion about my granfather who had share in LT1166 EAGER, when he left fishing in the 50s he retired to felixstow and lived on sunderland flying boat/houseboat then came to fleetwood in60s,-DIED 1966
his name JAMES HENRY BRYANT

Malcolm Moss-Ward
7th January 2010, 19:34
Hello,
I've only just joined the site and still trying to work out how to use it. I have a photo of my late uncle George Harper''s trawler the Montserrat leaving Lowestoft for the fishing grounds that I will upload as soon as I can work out how to do it. Malcolm

madbob
19th January 2010, 03:36
Has anyone any info/photo on the Drifter "Lizzie West" think was LT495 ? Wooden hull,coal burner. Was boy onboard summer 59 for a while ex Shields prior to deep sea.

Steve Farrow
19th January 2010, 09:29
Madbob,

If you send me an email to steve.farrow51@ntlworld.com I will forward a superb photo of her. Copyright is unknown so I am unable to post it on this site.

Regards

Steve

george jackson
22nd January 2010, 03:50
Hi clem, I am just letting you know of a trawler out of Lowestoft called Young Jacob. This boat was taken over by the navy during the war and then called HM Trawler Young Jacob.(Harry Tates navy) It became a mine sweeper and my dad was on it as a young 18yr old. He met my mother while fishing and visiting North Shields where she was a fish filliter on the quay just before the war. The boat was taken over in 1939 and returned to Lowestoft in Jan 1946.

Steve, Skipper of the Young Jacob during the war was William C Boyle who was awarded the DSC for an action in the North Sea. I am from North Shields and was at school with his daughter. Regards george Jackson

freelance
10th May 2010, 15:57
I am interested in finding out anything about the Lowestoft boats that went to Newfoundland, I believe it was in the fifties. Some returned. I actually went herring drifting on one of those that came back.
Never found anyone yet that went or returned.
Any info welcomed.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
14th May 2010, 17:17
Two questions really:

First, has anyone got a picture of the research vessel in the late Twenties?

Second, am I right in thinking that Alex King Diesels, as were, are now AKD Engineering?

pastonperson
22nd May 2010, 11:45
My father left home in 1932 aged 14 and worked on, what I believe, was a herring drifter out of Lowestoft called Seasons Gift. If anyone has any pics or information on her I would be grateful as I have a steam driven model I would like to convert if possible.

Burkecyril
16th September 2010, 00:09
Hello everybody,
I am a new member. I am from Newfoundland, Canada and looking for information on my uncle, Martin Foley who was Captain of trawlers fishing out of Lowestoft. I think one was the "Jamacia" and another the "British Columbia", which was sunk in a collision with the American Navy. I would appreciate any information anyone could share on this.
Cyril Burke

davetodd
16th September 2010, 10:13
Hello Cyril
The trawler British Columbia was built in 1935 by Richards of Lowestoft in 1935.
Official Number 162901. 135/50 tons.
First owner Grimsby Motor Trawlers Ltd.
During WW2 Admiralty renaed her GUAVA and her Pennant No. was T118
1946 she was returned to commercial use and her new Port Registry Number was GY272
Transferred to Lowestoft to Claridge Trawlers her PRN was changed to LT404.
Sunk after a collision with US destroyer DD-734 PURDY on 29/9/1957 off Flamborough Head Yorkshire.
Grimsby Library have photographs of British Columbia when registered in Grimsby.
Contact is Derek O'Connell
derek.oconnell@nelincs.gov.uk
It may be useful to you to contact the Lowestoft Heritage site for further info. regarding the sinking of British Columbia.
http://www.lowestoftheritage.org/

Jamaica ...
Two possibilities for this one.
1. ex Star of Scotland A425 renamed Jamaica in 1960 Broken up in 1976
2. ex Boston Crusader renamed Jamaica in 1976 for Colne Shipping of Lowestoft. Broken up in 1986.

If you need further help let me know.
Regards
Dave

E.Martin
16th September 2010, 19:17
Hi Cyril,Your uncle was a well known fisherman in Lowestoft known to other fishermen as "Newfie" other ships he served in,St Luke,Ranworth Queen,British Guana,Albacore,Tobago.
When he retired he moved to a village out side Lowestoft called Blunston.
He died aged 82.

Burkecyril
17th September 2010, 00:16
Hi Cyril,Your uncle was a well known fisherman in Lowestoft known to other fishermen as "Newfie" other ships he served in,St Luke,Ranworth Queen,British Guana,Albacore,Tobago.
When he retired he moved to a village out side Lowestoft called Blunston.
He died aged 82.

Thank you very much. I also heard he was nicknamed "Snowy". He was away for over 40 years ans we got no indication he was alive until a short newspaper clipping surfaced that the "British Columbia" was sunk with a Martin Foley as Captain.

jameslaner
23rd September 2010, 08:38
Clem,

Samuel Richards (Richards Shipbuilding) is my great-grandfather. I've just come across a private family history book which includes photos of the following vessels:

LT61 - Dick Whittington (1955)
LT137 - Norfolk Yeoman (1955)
LT432 - Boston Pionair (1956)
LT365 - Merbreeze (1950 - with sail evident on aft deck and coal stack)
LT365 - Merbreeze (converted)
There's a caption noting that Merbreeze was scrapped at Oulton Broad in 1976

and

YH61 - Ocean Starlight (1951) (Yarmouth, I know)

Any of these new entries in the database??

- Jim

carlos 46
26th September 2010, 19:41
hi im carl
my grandad was fishing out of lowestoft from1928 till 1936 he started off as a deckhand and worked up to captain he was on the
Friendship LT 972
Kemes LT1086
Eastdean LT1233
Ipswich LT128
His name was jack richard stafford can anybody help me find out anymore a photo would be great

Ozzie Rob
20th October 2010, 11:30
Good evening all from the Great Land of Oz

I was born on Lowestoft in 1948 and came to Australia in 1950. Both my parent's families were heavily associated with the fishing industry, but it is my mother's family that were directly involved as owners.

I would be eternally grateful for any information on the following ships:

1. Owned/operated by Stephen Granville Beamish, (my grandfather):

Young Crow - steam LT457
Renascent – steam LT288
Neves – steam in partnership with R J Tripp LT 246

2. Owned/operated by my great grandfather Isaac Beamish:

Good Hope - sail LT668
Sea Bird - sail, owned with brother James LT276
Valkyrie - sail, owned with brother James LT635
Star of The East - sail, owned with brother James LT578
Spring Flower - sail, owned with brother James LT730
Welcome Home - sail, owned with brother James LT749
Lady Audrey - steam LT508
Guiding Star - steam LT508
Good Friend - steam LT112
Girl Gracie - steam LT276

3. Owned/operated by Isaac's bother William Beamish

Ben Lomond - sail LT576
Blooming Lily – sail, owned with brother Isaac LT422
Princess Alice- sail LT168
Queen of The East – sail LT205
Confidence - sail, owned with bothers Isaac & James LT412
Two Sisters - sail LT636
Content - sail LT412
Agnes Weston - steam LT929
Emulator - steam LT627
Effort - steam, owned with brother Isaac & another LT1043
Quick Set - steam LT465
Familiar Friend - steam LT1144
Gleaner of The Seas – steam, owned with brother James and another
LT1170

There are others but anything on these would be great.

Thanks in advance
Ozzie Rob

davetodd
20th October 2010, 22:57
Rob, have found some of these vessels, not all.

From Mercantile navy List 1892:-

Good Hope O.N.69815 built 1874 Lowestoft Owner Isaac Beamish,Barnaby,Beccles
Good Hope O.N.97894 built 1890 Lowestoft Owner Isaac Beamish Barnaby,Beccles
Sea Bird O.N.85213 built 1881 Lowestoft Owner Isaac Beamish Barnaby, Beccles.
Spring Flower O.N.97893 built 1890 Lowestoft Owner Daniel Durrant, Surrey St. Lowestoft.

From 1904 Olsen's Almanac:-

Agnes Weston LT929 O.N.115043 Wood constr. built 1902 Lowestoft Owner Wm.Beamish Kirkley Lowestoft
Lady Audrey LT508 O.N.115030 Wood. built 1902 Lowestoft. Owner C&R Harvey Kessingland Suffolk.

From 1912 Olsen's Almanac:-

Guiding Star LT986O.N.117472 Wood built 1903 Lowestoft Owner A.C.Burroughs Lowestoft
Good Friend LT112 O.N.127615 Wood built 1908 Lowestoft Owner J.Beamish Kirkley Lowestoft
Emulator LT627 O.N.119357 Wood built 1904 Lowestoft Owner W.Beamish Lowestoft
Effort LT1043 O.N.124441 Wood built 1907 Lowestoft Owner J.Beamish and others Lowestoft
Familiar Friend LT1144 O.N.130035 Wood built 1911 Lowestoft Owner W.Beamish Kirkley Lowestoft
Quick Set LT465 O.N.129953 Wood built 1909 Lowestoft Owner Wm.Beamish Lowestoft.

Regards
Dave
p.s. There some well written and informative books by Malcolm R White at the website below.
http://www.maritimelowestoft.co.uk/greetings_from_lowestoft.html

smacky
30th October 2010, 19:03

Regards

Clem

do you have information or pictures of my Grandfather's smack LT 36 thanks smacky

trevpotter
8th December 2010, 16:11
any one help pics of
carlton queen the side winder
ormsby queen

davidships
9th December 2010, 13:36
Sad remains of YELLOWTAIL at
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=261936
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/261935

and a while back
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/261969

At least she's still at Lowestoft!!

David

trevpotter
6th January 2011, 13:53
Hi Clem,
Glad you like what you see ....
I have a number of other pictures of Lowestoft boats,
which I will place online soon.
Glad you have found the J.A.P.
David Podd was delighted with
all of my research on his grandfather's company and boats,
told me that virtually all of it was unknown to him before!!
Best Wishes
Raymond
hi treeve i sailed lt 1963 1971 and am looking for pics of ormesby queen soffolk punch and suffolk endever can you help tpotter1@hotmail.co.uk

davetodd
6th January 2011, 16:23
hi treeve i sailed lt 1963 1971 and am looking for pics of ormesby queen soffolk punch and suffolk endever can you help tpotter1@hotmail.co.uk
Hello trevpotter
Grimsby Library have some photographs of:-
Carlton Queen LT363 built 1961 at Lowestoft O.N.302398 ( 5 photo's.)
Carlton Queen LT345 built 1973 in Holland (3 photo's.)
Ormesby Queen LT88 built 1954 at Aberdeen O.N.184003 (2 photo's.)
Suffolk Endeavour LT789 built 1968 at Appledore O.N.309517 (8 photo's.)
Suffolk Punch LT395 built 1961 at Lowestoft O.N.302400 (1 photo.)
Regards
Dave

Contacts at the Library are:-
Derek O'Connell derek.oconnell@nelincs.gov.uk
Jennie Mooney jennie.mooney@nelincs.gov.uk

jmpjack
9th January 2011, 01:13
Hello all, this is my first post on this site, which I have just found and very interesting it is too

I wonder if anyone out there is able to help with either some photos or further information I have got about my Grandfather George Ratcliff and his brother Walter Ratcliff. Originally they were from Ramsgate where they owned fishing vessels, but moved to Lowestoft lock stock and barrel around 1880. I am not sure why they should move to Lowestoft at that time, so if anyone can provide a reason I would be very grateful. I have had help in finding names of some of the vessels they sailed, and therefore if anyone could assist further it would be great.

The information I have is as follows:-
From the Crew Lists and Vessels for Port of Lowestoft from Lowestoft Library

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, ST CLARE, 1886, age 24, 3rd Hand

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, MARY FARR, 1886 & 1887, age 25, Mate

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, INVINCIBLE, 1887, 1888 & 1889, age 25, 2nd Hand

RATCLIFF George H, Ramsgate, SALEM, 1889 & 1890, age 28, Mate 6569

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, CAROLINE, 1890 & 1891, age 30, 2nd hand 6509 (should be 6569??)

RATCLIFF George Henry, Ramsgate, READY 1890 & 1892, age 29, Mate 6569 - 1890, Skipper 3417 -1892. 74, Lorne Park Road, Kirkley 1892.

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, YOUNG JAMES 1892 & 1893, age 31, Skipper 3417. 74, Lorne Park Road, Kirkley 1893.

RATCLIFF George H, Ramsgate, ALFRED AND JANE, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899, age 34, Skipper 4866. Received new certificates 25/9/1894 - original (3417) lost in “BLANTYNE”.
Does anyone know anything about the Blantyne’s loss please? I have googled it but come up with nothing

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, ETHEL MAY 1899, 1900, age 36, Skipper 4866. Lorne Park Road, Kirkley

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, NIL DESPERANDUM, 1900, age 37, Skipper 4866

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, MAY FLOWER, 1900, age 38, Skipper 4866, 74 Lorne Park Road, Lowestoft

RATCLIFF Walter, Ramsgate, INVINCIBLE, 1886, 1887, age 31, Skipper 0670, Raglan Street, Lowestoft

RATCLIFF Walter, Ramsgate, SHEPHERD, 1884, 1885, 1886, age 30, Skipper 1670, 3 Waverley Cottages, Lowestoft 1885. 5 Caroline Terrace, Kirkley, Lowestoft 1886

And from the 1863 - 1914 Ships Logs and Crew Lists for Lowestoft :-

RATCLIFF Walter, Lowestoft, Smack Owner, Ethel May, LT 579, ON102459, 36/93, Jul 1893
RATCLIFF Walter, ALFRED AND JANE, LT 268, Raglan Street, Lowestoft, Owner 1890 to 1891, 1893 to 1900
RATCLIFFE Walter, ETHEL MAY, LT 579, Clapham Road, Lowestoft, Owner 1894 to 1901, 1903 to 1909
RATCLIFFE Walter, W.L.E., LT 769, Clapham Road, Lowestoft, Owner 1899 to 1905, 1907 to 1913
RATCLIFFE Walter, SUNBEAM - LT 669, 145 Clapham Road, Lowestoft, 1906 to 1914
Now I think the Sunbeam may still be about, I have found a Swedish site which seems to mention her, but I cant find a way to contact the owners as it is in Swedish

Thank you anyone who is able to help
Jackie

Douglas Paterson
9th January 2011, 08:08
Does anyone know if databases exist online for Yarmouth or Lowestoft fishing boats since the registration began in 1869? I have quite a lot of info on them and would have started to load it onto my website. However theres no point in me doing that if someone has already done the job.
Any advice/info would be appreciated.
Douglas Paterson
Aberdeen

gil mayes
9th January 2011, 19:32
Douglas
A number of Lowestoft/Yarmouth drifter/trawlers seasonally trawled from Fleetwood for white fish. These vessels are slowly being up loaded from the Fleetwood Steam Trawler database on www.fleetwood-trawlers.info
If you look and think that you can contribute any additional material, please contact me by PM.
Gil.

brogan1235
10th January 2011, 06:55
Lowestoft Library has a good set of records and pictures but none of it is in electonic form. The librarians are very helpful and will check for you if they have anything on the boats of interest.
Richard

Hello all, this is my first post on this site, which I have just found and very interesting it is too

I wonder if anyone out there is able to help with either some photos or further information I have got about my Grandfather George Ratcliff and his brother Walter Ratcliff. Originally they were from Ramsgate where they owned fishing vessels, but moved to Lowestoft lock stock and barrel around 1880. I am not sure why they should move to Lowestoft at that time, so if anyone can provide a reason I would be very grateful. I have had help in finding names of some of the vessels they sailed, and therefore if anyone could assist further it would be great.

The information I have is as follows:-
From the Crew Lists and Vessels for Port of Lowestoft from Lowestoft Library

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, ST CLARE, 1886, age 24, 3rd Hand

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, MARY FARR, 1886 & 1887, age 25, Mate

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, INVINCIBLE, 1887, 1888 & 1889, age 25, 2nd Hand

RATCLIFF George H, Ramsgate, SALEM, 1889 & 1890, age 28, Mate 6569

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, CAROLINE, 1890 & 1891, age 30, 2nd hand 6509 (should be 6569??)

RATCLIFF George Henry, Ramsgate, READY 1890 & 1892, age 29, Mate 6569 - 1890, Skipper 3417 -1892. 74, Lorne Park Road, Kirkley 1892.

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, YOUNG JAMES 1892 & 1893, age 31, Skipper 3417. 74, Lorne Park Road, Kirkley 1893.

RATCLIFF George H, Ramsgate, ALFRED AND JANE, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1898, 1899, age 34, Skipper 4866. Received new certificates 25/9/1894 - original (3417) lost in “BLANTYNE”.
Does anyone know anything about the Blantyne’s loss please? I have googled it but come up with nothing

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, ETHEL MAY 1899, 1900, age 36, Skipper 4866. Lorne Park Road, Kirkley

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, NIL DESPERANDUM, 1900, age 37, Skipper 4866

RATCLIFF George, Ramsgate, MAY FLOWER, 1900, age 38, Skipper 4866, 74 Lorne Park Road, Lowestoft

RATCLIFF Walter, Ramsgate, INVINCIBLE, 1886, 1887, age 31, Skipper 0670, Raglan Street, Lowestoft

RATCLIFF Walter, Ramsgate, SHEPHERD, 1884, 1885, 1886, age 30, Skipper 1670, 3 Waverley Cottages, Lowestoft 1885. 5 Caroline Terrace, Kirkley, Lowestoft 1886

And from the 1863 - 1914 Ships Logs and Crew Lists for Lowestoft :-

RATCLIFF Walter, Lowestoft, Smack Owner, Ethel May, LT 579, ON102459, 36/93, Jul 1893
RATCLIFF Walter, ALFRED AND JANE, LT 268, Raglan Street, Lowestoft, Owner 1890 to 1891, 1893 to 1900
RATCLIFFE Walter, ETHEL MAY, LT 579, Clapham Road, Lowestoft, Owner 1894 to 1901, 1903 to 1909
RATCLIFFE Walter, W.L.E., LT 769, Clapham Road, Lowestoft, Owner 1899 to 1905, 1907 to 1913
RATCLIFFE Walter, SUNBEAM - LT 669, 145 Clapham Road, Lowestoft, 1906 to 1914
Now I think the Sunbeam may still be about, I have found a Swedish site which seems to mention her, but I cant find a way to contact the owners as it is in Swedish

Jackie

jmpjack
10th January 2011, 15:18
Thank you Richard, the majority of this came from Lowestoft Library, but they didnt seem to have any pictures of any of the vessels. I was hoping that someone out there might just have one!

howeser
13th January 2011, 00:25
I am looking for any photos or information on the Lizzie West LT495. My grandfather was on the Lizzie West - name of George GOOCH.

Can anyone assist with any information ? Would greatly be appreciated.

davetodd
13th January 2011, 10:52
Howeser,
Grimsby Central Library have a photograph of Lizzie West LT495.
She was a steam drifter, wooden built at Buckie in 1930. Official Number 127400 103/44 tons.
In 1934 and 1938 was registered as BF213 owner James West, Gardenstown.
In 1947 and 1958 was registered as LT495 owner Mitchell of Lowestoft
In 1960 registered as LT495 owner Jackora Ltd. Lowestoft.

Broken up at Sandhaven in 1968.
Contacts at Grimsby Library are:-
Derek O'Connell
Jennie Mooney
jennie.mooney@nelincs.gov.uk

Regards
Dave

Michelle2909
22nd January 2011, 19:22
looking for any information on LT103.

"Ta"

davetodd
22nd January 2011, 23:48
Hello Michelle2909
A fishing vessel with the PRN of LT103 was NORFOLK COUNTY.
Official number 127618.
Built at Selby in 1908 and 85/35 tons. with steam engine.
Length 84.3 ft Beam 18.1ft Depth 8.3ft
Owner in 1913 was County Fg, Co.Ltd. Waveney Chambers Lowestoft.
Manager Wilfrid G. Lucas Cliffside Lowestoft.
Is shown in the 1934 Olsen's Almanac with same owner.
Regards
Dave

Secutor
10th March 2011, 14:14
/---/

Jackie

Hello Jackie,

The Sunbeam is indeed about. I saw her only yesterday here in Uppsala harbour. You can contact Claes-Göran Velin - at cg.velin@bredband.net or phone +46 18 301556.

Best regards,
Hans Olof

howeser
27th April 2011, 13:50
My Grandfather & Father were both on the Grenada Lt 130 any information would be appraciated. Cheers, Howeser

Linnea LL590
30th April 2011, 23:11
Hope this helps
During her time in Vajern Sunbeam was reg LL80
In Sweden 1937
Sunbeam served with the name LT 669 as sailing Trawler on the North Banks until May 1937 when she was sold by the owners Jonathan Slater Basserhill Corton, north of Lowestoft and John Mathew Barnard, The Maples Cotmer Roal in Carlton Colville south of Lowestoft to Sweden for a purchase price of 104 pounds. The buyer was Glucksman metal shop in Gothenburg who in July sold her on to Captain Stone Adolf Carlson . Stone got her registered in the same year by its former name, and she became known as LL 80 The year after purchase she was re-built, On 15 / 3 1938 Sunbeam got their first engine installed, a 55 hp two-cylinder Skandia.

On August 23, 1938 ran aground near the Western Saltsäckens lighthouse outside Dalarö, but could continue under her own power on travel to Sundsvall
On December 6, 1940, she broke down in high winds at the Shell skerries in the entrance to Gothenburg and ran aground. Red Company tug Harold towed the Sunbeam to Gothenburg, where she was repaired. At the time of the accident, she was traveling between Arendal and Copenhagen.

A tragic accident occurred at Copenhagen during July 31, 1941. Bosun Villgott Olsson was so injured by the flywheel when he would start the engine that he died later that day at the city hospital.

Next refit of Sunbeam was in 1944 at the Hällevikstrand yards.
The Sunbeam on March 31, 1947, en route from Menstad to Helsingborg ran into severe ice of 0.5 m thick at 1545 and began to leak WSW of Skärsbådans bouy between Höganäsoch Molle. She sank in minutes by the bow in the depth of 20 meters. The three-man crew survived happily in the little boat and was able after a few hours of rowing in the pack ice to reach land. The load at the time consisted of 100 tons kalisalpeter. When Adolf Stone then contacted his insurance for compensation for salvage this was denied his first, believing that Sunbeam was navigated in a careless way into the pack ice. When navigating all of the captain's colleagues to a man said that if there is any seaman who shall help with the salvage operation so it is the way Adolf. And so it went.

In the spring they went down to the Sunbeam with divers and filled her hold with water-filled oil drums. Down below deck filled it so one by one oil drums with air and eventually Sunbeam buoyant, which gradually pulled her up on the shallower water. After sealing of the disastrous leak the savers could eventually pump her out . Sunbeam was working again after a few months on the Sound bottom. However, there was major problems with all the sludge that had filled her because of the strong sand movements in the Strait. After cleaning of tändkulemotorn (2 stroke engine)and subsequent oil changes it started running on the first try! Sunbeam was soon running again in his old shipping and fishing voyages.

1948 saw the changing of the Skandia being replaced with a stronger engine, a 155 HP twin-cylinder Bolinder. Throughout the 1950s, she sailed to the Iceland Fishing in late summer-EARLY AUTUMN until the ship was filled with salted herring. The rest of the year, she went in the cargo carriers on the North Sea and Baltic Sea.

After 22 years of service she was sold by Gem Adolf Carlson n November 1959 to Per Eriksson, from, Hamburgsund. The old skipper Stone Adolf, who over the years helped so many mariners in distress, surcumed himself in the 1980s itself due to a fierce summer storm when he was out with a small boat in home waters off Vajern when checking his fishing gear. The storm ended Adolf's life and he was found some days later floating in his lifejacket off the Norwegian coast.

Sunbeam was returned to trawling in 1959 . She had fishing numbers SD 473 and replaced the previous SD 473 Liberty. Co-owner and also the principal owner was Gustav Johannisson. In 1960 the engine was refurbished , new liners and pistons were fitted.
In March 1962 it was the finish of trawling for Sunbeam, which then was replaced by the Brothers from Gravarne, According to the contract of sale March 9, 1962 cutter was sold to Sunbeam Students Marianne Hielm, Mats Wolgart and Lars Strangert from Uppsala to become the research vessel. She was registered to the fishing port of Gothenburg and the price was 45 000 crowns. At the meeting of the Uppsala Botanical Mediterranean Marine Expedition AB (Registered Number 556083-4672), 27-29 March decided to purchase contract would be amended so that the boat is purchased "on behalf of Uppsala Marine Botany Mede Sea Expedition Ltd ".

After the takeover the cutter went to Kungshamn for refit and survey, conducted by Arne Wickberg, Gothenburg and Leif Wikström, Lysekil, who noted before the purchase that the machine was easy to start and was seemingly perfect. In Kungshamn an representative of Bolinder examined the engine and was found to be completely "nedkörd". The replacement engine was a 6-cylinder 160 hp Volvo Penta TMD 96 which was kindly donated by Volvo, and the old reversal gearing was replaced by a Twin Disc reverse gear that still works great. Sunbeam was registered as a research vessel.

On the evening of May 13, 1962 redesignatied R / V (Research Vessel) Sunbeam from Kungshamn left on a research trip to the Mediterranean. Unlike m
ost other long distance ships, she came back to Sweden. After the expedition, which was completed on 25 August that year, Sunbeam has continued to operate as a research vessel in the Baltic Sea, Kattegat and Skagerrak.

howeser
14th May 2011, 10:17
Hello To All, The Grosbeak 1947 February My Grandfather Was On This Vessel Any Information Would Be Greatful. Thankyou.

E.Martin
14th May 2011, 16:27
Hello To All, The Grosbeak 1947 February My Grandfather Was On This Vessel Any Information Would Be Greatful. Thankyou.
I can remember the Grosbeak when she was working from Lowestoft
in the 19forties,just spoke on the phone to someone who has info and a photo of her which he will pass on to me.
Are you one of the Lordie Howes?.

howeser
26th May 2011, 12:00
Hello Again, The Rock Fish Trawler Lt442 [not Sure] About The Nunber, Also The Grenada Lt 130 Trawler. Finding It Hard To Find Any Information On These Trawlers/drifters! Cheers Howeser.

davetodd
26th May 2011, 12:36
ROCKFISH LT244 Official Number 187012.
Motor trawler built 1956 at Thorne for Huxley F.Co.Ltd. Lowestoft.
Tonnages 151/50.
Transferred to Oil Industry in 1969. Broken up in 1986.
Grimsby Central Library have 3 Photo's. of Rockfish.
GRENADA LT130 Official number 187000
Motor trawler built 1955 at Selby for Dagon F.Co.Ltd. Lowestoft.
Tonnages 205/70
Broken up 1986.
Grimsby Central Library have 6 photo's of Grenada.

Regards
Dave

Bob S
29th May 2011, 16:58
Could this be the same OCEAN DAWN that operated as LT466?

Photographed at Shoreham on the 18th May 2011

davetodd
29th May 2011, 17:38
Robert
Ocean Dawn built 1956 at Lowestoft for Bloomfields Ltd. PRN was YH77
Sold in 1963 to Small & Co.Ltd. and registered as LT466
Sold in 1969 to ? and registered as KY371
Sold in 1984 to ? and renamed Rewga.

There does seem to be a faint lettering on the bow which could be KY371, but not clear enough to be positive.
Regards
Dave

howeser
14th June 2011, 13:07
Hello again the Drifter Mary Ann LT? Anyone with any history of this vessel would be much appreciated.

Regards Howeser.

dickjburton
4th August 2011, 07:18
ex Lowestoft Colne boat seen at Battersea (St Albert dock)
01-08-11 was she a stern or a beamer ?.

dna857
26th August 2011, 20:34
Hello all, im looking for some info and pictures to 2 Lowestoft fishing vessels, i believe they were apart of the Boston's Fleet at the time. the first is LT 341 St. James and the second is LT 355 (not sure but it might be LT 556) Suffolk Chieftan. My uncle served on these two the most and he has a couple of paintings but im wandering if i can find a little more on the net. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

davetodd
28th August 2011, 12:42
Hello all, im looking for some info and pictures to 2 Lowestoft fishing vessels, i believe they were apart of the Boston's Fleet at the time. the first is LT 341 St. James and the second is LT 355 (not sure but it might be LT 556) Suffolk Chieftan. My uncle served on these two the most and he has a couple of paintings but im wandering if i can find a little more on the net. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel
Hello Daniel

ST JAMES LT341

built 1974 in Holland as a Beam Trawler 126 ft length, 289 Gross tons.named Albert reg.UK1
Sold to Colne Shipping Co. and renamed St.James in 1986.
Scrapped at Lowestoft in December 1994.

ST JAMES LT492 Official number 181390

built Portsmouth in 1957 as a trawler of 245 Gross tons for Boston D.S.F.Co.Ltd and named BOSTON VANGUARD
1962 renamed IMPREVO and transferred to France.
1965 returned to Lowestoft and renamed SUFFOLK ENTERPRISE
1975 renamed ST JAMES.

SUFFOLK CHIEFTAIN LT556 Official number 336027.

built Appledore in 1968 as a Trawler 124 ft length 255 Gross tons
for Small & Co.
1980 served as standby vessel for the oil/gas industry
Sold to Spain in September 1986 and registered as LT372

Grimsby Library may have some photographs of these vessels under their various names.
Contact O'Connell, Derek
E-mail Address(es):
Derek.OConnell@Nelincs.Gov.Uk

Hope this helps
Regards
Dave

dna857
28th August 2011, 17:53
Thankyou to both mattarosa and davetodd for you information and pictures, you have both been very helpful and i appreciate the help.

Regards
Dna857

"The Duke"
20th February 2012, 19:16
I am looking for information on two of Lowestoft steam Drifters

Any info would be extremely gratefully accepted, especially photographs of the actual Drifters and crew

The two Drifters are :-

Justified LT240
Justifier LT224

Many thx in advance
Duke

DiverTim
7th April 2012, 23:53
ROCKFISH LT244 Official Number 187012.
Motor trawler built 1956 at Thorne for Huxley F.Co.Ltd. Lowestoft.
Tonnages 151/50.
Transferred to Oil Industry in 1969. Broken up in 1986.
Grimsby Central Library have 3 Photo's. of Rockfish.
GRENADA LT130 Official number 187000
Motor trawler built 1955 at Selby for Dagon F.Co.Ltd. Lowestoft.
Tonnages 205/70
Broken up 1986.
Grimsby Central Library have 6 photo's of Grenada.

Regards
Dave

Huxley and Dagon Fishing Companies were owned by Colne. I remember as a boy attending the launch and probably trials of both of these trawlers.Rgds Timothy Claridge

DiverTim
8th April 2012, 00:00
Robert
Ocean Dawn built 1956 at Lowestoft for Bloomfields Ltd. PRN was YH77
Sold in 1963 to Small & Co.Ltd. and registered as LT466
Sold in 1969 to ? and registered as KY371
Sold in 1984 to ? and renamed Rewga.

There does seem to be a faint lettering on the bow which could be KY371, but not clear enough to be positive.
Regards
Dave

If she was renamed Rewga then she was part of Colne...my father always repeated names from his past vessels. Makes for alot of confusion, especially, as when the fishing finished he bought many ships from all over for Standby work.

DiverTim
8th April 2012, 00:05

Thanks
Daniel

St James was Colne ship, I think was my father's first step into stern trawlers...were not very successful, high fuel consumption, sister ship St John.

DiverTim
8th April 2012, 00:11
Hello Cyril
The trawler British Columbia was built in 1935 by Richards of Lowestoft in 1935.
Official Number 162901. 135/50 tons.
First owner Grimsby Motor Trawlers Ltd.
During WW2 Admiralty renaed her GUAVA and her Pennant No. was T118
1946 she was returned to commercial use and her new Port Registry Number was GY272
Transferred to Lowestoft to Claridge Trawlers her PRN was changed to LT404.
Sunk after a collision with US destroyer DD-734 PURDY on 29/9/1957 off Flamborough Head Yorkshire.
Grimsby Library have photographs of British Columbia when registered in Grimsby.
Contact is Derek O'Connell
It may be useful to you to contact the Lowestoft Heritage site for further info. regarding the sinking of British Columbia.
http://www.lowestoftheritage.org/

Jamaica ...
Two possibilities for this one.
1. ex Star of Scotland A425 renamed Jamaica in 1960 Broken up in 1976
2. ex Boston Crusader renamed Jamaica in 1976 for Colne Shipping of Lowestoft. Broken up in 1986.

If you need further help let me know.
Regards
Dave

Jamaica Ex A425 was purchased by Colne Fishing, was a bigger trawler than usually seen at LT. Was a very successful trawler, fitted with a 2 speed gearbox presumably to gain economy and speed when running to grounds / market.

The other also owned finally by Colne as Standby Vessel

Rgds Timoty Claridge

E.Martin
8th April 2012, 14:30
If she was renamed Rewga then she was part of Colne...my father always repeated names from his past vessels. Makes for alot of confusion, especially, as when the fishing finished he bought many ships from all over for Standby work.

Rewga
Eta
Willa
Gula
Ala

Rewga was made from the first letter of that class of vessel.

thelebrity
25th April 2012, 17:35
This is the Lowestoft smack LT37 Moggy. During the gale of november 1893 the Moggy rescued the crew of the norwegian wessel Hjalmar. On board the Hjalmar was mr. Jens Hansen, the unknown grandson of the norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen. Any information about this rescue will be very welcome. So will other photos that might help illustrating the dramatic story about Moggys rescue.

sincerely,
Per Helge Seglsten

thelebrity
25th April 2012, 17:56
Hello,

Roger

What does "returns of Lowestoft Fishing Boats" mean. I am not familiar with this terminology, and would be very grateful if anyone could expain what kind of information to find in these return records.

sincerely,
Per Helge Seglsten

Ruprik
12th May 2012, 08:51
Willa, Rotha, Gula, Eta, Ala and Rewga were all built by Richards Ironworks circa 1936. Willa and Rotha were converted to standby vessels in 1972 and went to work on Conoco's Viking Gas field.

Ruprik
19th May 2012, 09:25
Beam Trawler obviously

Ruprik
19th May 2012, 09:32
[QUOTE=Ruprik;596149]Willa, Rotha, Gula, Eta, Ala, Rewga and Celita were all built by Richards Ironworks between 1934 and 1936. Willa, Rotha and Rotha were converted to standby vessels in 1972 and went to work on Conoco's Viking Gas field.]

Robert Durrant
20th May 2012, 20:12
With regards to Willa,Rotha etc.,does anyone know what these names mean?I have asked this question to many locals but no one seems to know.I have a theory that they may come from Anglo Saxon kings or noblemen who lived in surrounding areas in this part of East Anglia.I did come across some similar names when I was given a modern re-print of the Doomesday book for this area.

Robert Durrant
20th May 2012, 20:20
St James was Colne ship, I think was my father's first step into stern trawlers...were not very successful, high fuel consumption, sister ship St John.

Tim,
St.James was a sidewinder.Your Dad's first sternies were the St.Patrick and St.Phillip.Sister to St.John was St.Thomas.Have posted a picture of St.Phillip in fishing vessel section in SN gallery.
Regards
Bob

Sophie Rouget
18th July 2012, 19:10
Hi,
Not sure if you already have LT328 St Michael ? She is moored at Nine Elms Marina in London.

Brian849
22nd October 2012, 01:17
Can anyone help I have found two Lowestoft boats skippered by James Smith a relative. "Forward" LT 708 a Dandy in St Ives Cornwall in 1901 Census; and "Expectation" LT562 in Penzance Dock in 1911. Would like to find out more about James and his boats he was a boat owner as well as skipper.

gil mayes
22nd October 2012, 09:16
FORWARD (108041), 41 tons, dandy rigged ketch built Lowestoft 1896. Owner James Smith, Bethel House, Lowestoft. Registered at Lowestoft 23.9.1896 as (LT708) and engaged in netting with a crew of nine. By 1913 she was trawling with a crew of five men and owned by Walter S. Wharton, 53 Maidstone Road, Lowestoft. FORWARD was broken up in 1929 and Lowestoft registry closed on 6.11.1929.
EXPECTATION (129982), 77grt 34net 85.5 x 19.2 x 8.5 feet compound 25nhp, wooden steam drifter built Porthleven, possibly by R. Kitto & Sons. Owner at build James Smith, Bethel House, Lowestoft and registered at Lowestoft on 2.7.1910 as (LT562). Sold in 1914 to Peterhead (PD127)and Lowestoft registry closed on 14.1.1914. She served in WW1 as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr)(Ad.No.2556) from 3.1915 based latterly at Queenstown and was returned to John Mitchell, Peterhead post 3.1919. EXPECTATION was renamed PREVALOIR (PD127) and was broken up in 1936.
Gil.

gil mayes
1st November 2012, 10:35
No response, yet again. Members join and post on single issue topics and do not appear to return to the site. Of course they could be 'away'.
Gil.

Brian849
1st November 2012, 13:17
Hi Gil
Just read your answer thanks for the info.
Do you know anything about James Smith?
He married my great aunt Sophia Ann READER who came from Scarborough in Yorkshire. I found their graves in Lowestoft cemetery purely by chance, one of their daughters was Harriet Olive Grimmer Reader Smith! They had seven children.

Regards

Brian

gil mayes
1st November 2012, 16:38
Apologies Brian, no nothing of James Smith except that he must have been successful, or had good backers, to order a steam drifter.
Gil.

Brian849
9th November 2012, 04:26
Hi Gil

Just found "S.D.J." Steam Trawler Off.No. 132971 Reg. No.LT 1187 visiting Fleetwood. Owned by James Smith Senior other James Smith's father. Bonus- with photos -on Bosun's Watch.
The skipper when she was lost 12 May 1946 was Frank Samuel CHURCH who was married to Sophia Ann R SMITH one of James SMITH Junior's daughters.
Frank's father Alfred Charles CHURCH was Mate onboard the 64 ton Sailing Fishing Boat "Elizabeth Susan" LO 364 Official Number 9643 at sea fifty miles off Lowestoft on the night of the Census 31 March 1901 - her Captain was Ezer EWERS
Regards

Brian

gil mayes
9th November 2012, 18:14
My apologies Brian, I should have pointed you in that direction. I am the compiler of the Fleetwood Steam Trawler database on behalf of Fleetwood Maritime Heritage Trust.

S.D.J (LT1187) (drifter/trawler) WW2
O.N.132971. 100g 36n 87.3 x 18.4 x 9.0 feet
T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood, Beccles

1912: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.376) for James Smith, Lowestoft as S.D.J. 8.1912: Completed (James Smith, managing owner). 28.8.1912: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1187). 9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA, 1-2pdr) (Ad.No.1857). Based Dover. Post12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Lowestoft (James Smith, Lowestoft). 17.8.1922: James Smith died. 22.12.1922: James Smith & Stephen James Smith, Lowestoft- joint owners (James Smith, manager). 1937: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood. <1943-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood. 11-12.5.1947: Missing in North Sea presumed mined; debris later found. Nine crew lost. 4.6.1947: Lowestoft registry closed.
(Lost – Sk. Frank Samuel Church, A. W. Ames, L. C. Church, R. J. Gooding, W. H. Harman, W. Hart, A. E. Long, C. F. Mobbs, J. E. Winfield.)
Gil.

nauticalantiques
6th December 2012, 14:50

Regards

Clem

Hi Being a collector I have an original bell [I can send you a photo of] from the wooden steam drifter "Lord Carnarvon" of the Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifter Company of Lowestoft 80 tons mined in 1914. I wondered if you know of a photo of her [or similiar ship ] please. Regards David

HeatherC
27th December 2012, 15:15
Just got hold a an old family album over Christmas and have posted a pic in the gallery of LT 942, Iris, which was owned by my Great Grandfather's brother, William J Bourn.

Is there any way of finding out what happened to her?

aavh
27th December 2012, 22:51
Hi, Records show she was owned by the Bourns until scrapped in 1930 her registry closed 30.12.1930

HeatherC
28th December 2012, 10:36
Thanks aavh - much appreciated.

Do records show which Bourn family member(s) owned her other than William J or when they first owned her? Is it possible to see these records myself - sorry I'm new to this!

Also if anyone has any other photos of her that would be great. Now I think of it I'm pretty sure another old album does have some more fishing boat photos in so I will retrieve them and post them up next time I visit my Mum!

billblow
28th December 2012, 14:10
Heather try this link to MNL's
It starts at 1907 first time entry for Iris and then select other years from box
Make sure it is clicked for sail vessels.
Seems to be W J Bourne either 27 Arnold St Lowestoft or 1 Winnipeg St Lowestoft. I guess it will end 1930.

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages.php?year=1910&name=IRIS&page=731&imagesource=CLIP*images

Good hunting
Billblow

HeatherC
28th December 2012, 15:47
Thanks very much indeed Billblow - not sure how I'd missed that excellent resource. I'm now going back through all my family census entries looking for ship names to search for as I do seem to have a lot of "mariners" in one side of my family tree.

I do have a photo which is supposed to be from 1924 of a Lowestoft registered ship called Trio, which has the number LT 127(2) - the last digit is obscured of course! The only Lowestoft registered ship of this name I can see in the above list is 85231, but the entry for her says "register closed 1915", which I take to mean she was scrapped or sunk?

Is there a way to relate the LT number to the original number so I can check which ship this photo really is? (photo uploaded to gallery)

Roger Griffiths
28th December 2012, 21:39
TRIO port number LT1272 58 Gross registered tons Registered at Lowestoft 22/Aug/1923
Lost at sea 18/Sept/1928 (fire)
If no one comes up with further details try a mail to
lowestoft.ro@libher.suffolkcc.gov.uk
They hold the records of the Port of Lowestoft History Soc.
Thay would welcome copies of your photographs and may have others of the vessels concerned.

Roger

aavh
29th December 2012, 00:06
She may have been Three Sisters before Trio and registered in Felixstowe.

HeatherC
29th December 2012, 10:46
Thanks again both of you. Great knowledge on this forum :)

I've found some more boat names now but they are Ramsgate so I'll have to shoot off to another thread.

One more question here if I may. I have another ancestor described in the 1911 census as "smack owner", "employer" and (industry) "fishing (trawl)", but I don't have the name of his boat and sadly he was not aboard on census night. Is there any way of finding out which boat he owned? Name was John Adams Parish Bourn and he lived in Lowestoft.

Edit to add I have been sent further info on this which provides the answer (thanks Douglas!). She was LT114 Oleander (117493), who was apparently scuttled by a U-boat in 1916.

Roma
31st December 2012, 18:41
Hello everyone, can anyone help in finding the Number of the trawler Speculator. I'm doing a little ancestral research I've found out that Trawler Speculator, 60 grt, mined near Smith's Knoll, mine laid by the German light cruiser Stralsund, 5 dead one of which is my great grandfather third hand Henry Forest Hunter.⚓

Douglas Paterson
1st January 2013, 09:36
She was LT 1050
ON:124431
Built Portleven 1907
Douglas
www.fishingboatheritage.com

Roma
1st January 2013, 13:23
Cheers Douglas, much appreciated

raf1387
25th January 2013, 15:13
Can anyone help with ALA LT.347 the lead ship of her class in 1933. The last entry I can find for her is 1939,

davetodd
26th January 2013, 09:30
Can anyone help with ALA LT.347 the lead ship of her class in 1933. The last entry I can find for her is 1939,
Good morning raf
I could not find ALA LT347 in the 1935 Olsen's Almanac,
but she does have an entry in the 1946 Olsen's Almanac as follows:-
ALA O.N.162963 LT 347 Call letters GDWD, Steel construction, Nett tonnage 32,Horsepower 150, built 1933 at Lowestoft,
Owner G.D.Claridge Wheathampstead Herts.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Dave

raf1387
26th January 2013, 09:51
Thanks Dave I only checked as far as 1945 and presumed she had either been sunk or sold foreign.i thought I had found her in 1948 but this was her MFV replacement built 1944.

raf1387
26th January 2013, 12:11
Hi again I've found ALA again. She was sold to the Government of Pakistan in 1948 with Karachi as her home port.at least I know now why she disappeared from the registers.

raf1387
1st February 2013, 23:09
Hi again anyone know the history of DAUNTLESS STAR LT.371 built by Cochranes 1947. Her O/N 166709. I know her sister was renamed Dauntless Star in 1958 but can not find LT.371 in the register after 1951.

Dave Briggs
3rd February 2013, 11:40
Hi Clem
I am trying to find out some information about the drifter LT270 Test.
From what I have found to date is that it was an early steam drifter built by Richards shipyard. In 1901 it was in Penzance. The master at this time was an American, H E Furgusson but the reat of the crew were local.