shipwreck in mersey

Peggy747
29th May 2006, 12:00
Can anyone tell me what was the name of the ship which for years lay wrecked on the revetment just opposite Crosby, with just her mast and at low tide and the remains of her boilers showing?
Peter

dom
29th May 2006, 12:27
check out seabreezes reply on thread who what where and why.
dom

sometimes i sits and thinks,and sometimes i justs sits, (Thumb)

Santos
29th May 2006, 14:56
Hi Peggy,

The wreck is :-

S.S. PEGU built 1921 belonged to P. Hendersons / British & Burmese Steam Navigation Co.

8084 tons, grounded on the revetment wall River Mersey 1939 in bad weather and broke in two.

The New Brighton Lifeboat, William and Kate Johnston attended and in terrible conditions saved 103 lives.

The Alexander Towing Tug ' Wallasey ' hit the mast in bad weather some years ago and knocked it down, the rest of the wreck is still there.

Chris.

vix
30th May 2006, 08:03
Hi Peggy, The wreck is :- S.S. PEGU built 1921 belonged to P. Hendersons / British & Burmese Steam Navigation Co. 8084 tons, grounded on the revetment wall River Mersey 1939 in bad weather and broke in two. The New Brighton Lifeboat, William and Kate Johnston attended and in terrible conditions saved 103 lives. The Alexander Towing Tug ' Wallasey ' hit the mast in bad weather some years ago and knocked it down, the rest of the wreck is still there. Chris.
Thank you for this Santos, I was told it was a ship that had been torpedoed as soon as it left Gladstone Docks...I always wondered what the story was behind the wreck...now I know! Vix (Applause)

Peggy747
30th May 2006, 10:39
Hello Santos, (Chris) Thank You for your comprehensive reply about "Pegu", like everyone else I have passed that wreck many times and always wondered what ship it was and how it came to be there, what a shame a tug had to knock the mast down complete with topping lift blocks and the remains of topping lift wire it might have stood there for many more years.

Cheers Peter