Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s

Donald McGhee
1st June 2006, 01:34
I have recently reactivated this site and would like to hear from any ex Bank Line folk from the late 60's or 70's living in New Zealand. I served on Inver, Teviot and Mara Bank and keep up a long and abiding love of all things nautical.

Kenneth Morley
6th June 2006, 02:56
Hi, I seved on the Hazel Bank as fireman sighned on in Auckland a ship not to remember, I live in Norh Canterbury. Kenneth.

R58484956
6th June 2006, 18:55
Welcome back Donald.

Andy Lavies
8th July 2006, 16:03
A bit earlier, I think. 1956 until 1967. Ettrickbank and Inchanga as an apprentice then Laganbank, Cedarbank, Streambank and Laganbank again before movimg on to ferries.
Andy Lavies

jimthehat
28th May 2007, 12:43
A bit earlier, I think. 1956 until 1967. Ettrickbank and Inchanga as an apprentice then Laganbank, Cedarbank, Streambank and Laganbank again before movimg on to ferries.
Andy Lavies

Andy ,when were you on Ettrickbank,I was 2/0on her 15/12/59--19/12/61and 2 years on Isipingo 57-59,moved on to ferrier (ASN)66

JIM (peloris)

pete
28th May 2007, 17:46
Hi Donald, welcome back to the site. I was with Bank Line for 15 very informative Years. Served on Laurel, Dart, Fir, Hazel, Rowan, Test, Mara, Spey, Olive, Forres, Hazel (again), and finally Shirra. Whew, what a roll call. All this between 1964 and 1980, and I'd do it all again tomorrow, (sigh)...................cheers...........pete

andy huber
20th October 2007, 08:05
Hi Peter

I was first trip cadet on Shirrabank Jan 1970-Nov 1970 with Capt Ossie Brown who became commodore whilst we were in BA. Transferred to Marabank in Durban let 2 apprentices go for ticket then went West Coast of S.America doing tallying.

Regards Andy Huber

P.Bingley
15th November 2007, 22:31
Hi Donald
Hers another one. 1970-1978, Apprentice to Second Mate. Laurel,Holly,Forres,Weir,Pine,Holly,Forth,Avon,Ern e,Rowan.
Hard work never killed anyone. I'd do it again. I look back on it now with envy, from my current desk in a high street office.
Good luck,
Paul Bingley.

RayL
21st April 2008, 21:16
Hello - From Oct 1966 to Mar 1967 I was R/O on the Speybank. As the captain was Commodore Holbrook, she was regarded as the flag ship. The new crew gathered at Andrew Weir Ltd's London office and then travelled out to Hamburg to join her (train to Harwich/ferryboat to Hook of Holland/train to Hamburg). We sailed first to Gravesend and then went out to Darwin, various ports in New Guinea, Honiara, Guadalcanal, etc, etc. Great memories, e.g. a pause as we passed Thursday Island so that a book exchange could take place with the radio station there.

Les Gibson
21st April 2008, 22:46
Ray,
Did exactly the same including joining from London via the Hook to Hamburg on Dartbank early 1963. Went rapidly downhill after Papua New Guinea!
Regards,
Les

RayL
3rd May 2008, 09:28
Hi Les,
Thanks for the response. I recall that, as we called at the little ports on the north coast of New Guinea (Lae and Wewak spring to mind), the captain made use of a store of iron knives he had brought along for bartering purposes. Was that typical?
You may be interested to know that Lae is now rated as a city, and one street has been named "Speybank Street".
Regards, Ray

pete
3rd May 2008, 11:01
When I was on the South Pacific Run we would normally call at Port Moresby, Samarai, Lae, Madang Wewak, Sukarnopura (Occasionally) Rabaul, Kavieng, Honiara, Yandina, Port Vila and then off to drift in off Nauru or Ocean Island waiting for Guano (Phosphate or Bird S**t as you wish) Made for a very interesting Cargo Plan, luckily stowage was done, in the main, by London Office. Happy times including doing our own Tallying..............................pete

The Captain
3rd May 2008, 23:05
G'day Pete, It's funny how a person can remember all the ports of your first trip to sea. We joined the Laurel in Billingham in March '65 discharging some kind of sulphate then off round Europe, London and completing in Genoa. I think you joined in London when the Irish 3rd Mate went crazy when he found out that 2 year articles really meant that with Bank Line. Then we were off for exotic ports of the tropics via the Suez Canal and Aden, for bunkers. The first stop was at Thursday Island to pick up the Torres Strait pilot, this was very exciting fir a 17 year old who a couple of years before had read the book "A Passage of Islands" then it was on down your list of ports but instead of Nauru we went to Townsville, Mackay, Brisbane and Newcastle to complete discharging by the middle or end of July. The rest of the world called us for the next 10 or 11 months making my first sea voyage so 15 months long - the longest I had been away from my home.
I have one question Pete, you mention "Sukarnapura" which was just over the boarder in West Irian but that was a new name for an old port and I believe that original name may have been restored, WHAT was the original name of Sukarnapura - the name that appeared on the cargo plans? Just as another query, you mentioned Port Vila but I am sure that this wasn't the original name of this port - was it called something else in 1965. You missed out Kieta on Bougainville from your list of ports for the South Pacific run.

Pete do you know what happened to the 2nd Mate, John East, I never heard about him after that trip – he was promoted to Mate after the little problem in Chalna.

John S

The Captain
4th May 2008, 00:23
One thing I learned fairly quickly on my first B/L ship was that Bank Line men were allowed to criticise the Company outsiders weren't. Our senior apprentice was extremely proud of being a Bank Line Apprentice and looked with disdain on any other company in the "tramp" trade around India and Africa, especially BI, Clan and "City" who's trainees were "Cadets" or so I was told and Cadets were no better than deck boys and knew less, according to Chris - 1965. While at the Mombassa mission one evening having a quite beer several BI cadets from the "Chantala" appeared and made some comment that Chris took exception to so on poor lad wound up in the pool in his white uniform. That meant we had many very angry BI cadets on the lookout for three "ruffian" Bank Line apprentices for about 4 days until the "Chantala" sailed and we could come out of hiding, Chris never did learn not to attack the "enemy" when they were at their strongest a similar thing happened at the Swimming Club in Calcutta several months later to another BI cadet who had slighted the Bank Line name in Chris's eyes. Apart from casting aspersions on the Bank Line name by non Bank Line personnel nothing seemed to upset Chris so he wasn't a thug looking for trouble he was just a Bank Line "appy" who was very proud of "his" company, I inherited that pride and it has got me into some trouble over the years but up to now very little violence. Every shipping company has it's knockers but most of them either didn't sail with the company and are going on hearsay or they weren’t prepared take what they signed on for and probably spent the whole voyage whining about anything and everything, then spent the rest of their lives blaming the conditions for their own inadequacies, unlike MEN like Pete who signed on and stayed the distance and then some. Bank Line gave “Loyalty” to its employees and received company loyalty back in return

John S

Iriscable Fairy
4th May 2008, 05:31
Hi Donald
Hers another one. 1970-1978, Apprentice to Second Mate. Laurel,Holly,Forres,Weir,Pine,Holly,Forth,Avon,Ern e,Rowan.
Hard work never killed anyone. I'd do it again. I look back on it now with envy, from my current desk in a high street office.
Good luck,
Paul Bingley.
Hello Paul - I think I sailed with you - In fact I think I have some photographs of you

Richard Collinson

Jim Harris
4th May 2008, 08:36
Pete and The Captain,

Going slighty off the main thread....
But with your vast 'Bank Line' experience, you must have done
the far east run in the early 1970's?

I had to chance to do it on the 'Shirrabank' but didn't, and
regret it to this day!

I've got a post in the 'Bank Line' forum 1st April 2008 seeking
more info from those who did the run, and maybe you missed it?

Regards,

Jim.

And to the eagle eyed Moderator who's watching over me....
Is this a wrong posting, and should I be sending Pete and
The Captain PM's instead?
Thanks,
Jim.

pete
4th May 2008, 10:21
John. thanks for the compliment but I was just this Guy doing a job as best I could. Yeah.we all suffered bad times and bad Master's but generally speaking it wasn't a bad profession if you like the nomadic lifestyle. As they always say " You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke". Have a drink on me mate (Pint) (Pint) (Pint).................pete

K urgess
4th May 2008, 13:15
Jim, I hope someone gives you an answer and I see nothing wrong with asking where you're likely to get a proper answer.

Being a Marconi man I found Bankline just one big happy family. When I think of the four trips I did with them it invariably brings a tear to the eye remembering the good times. Also when with them it tended to be Bankline first last and always and who the hell are Marconi.[=P]
And Pete's comment "You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke" was a philosophy that stood me in good stead with other companies.

Kris (Jester)

The Captain
8th May 2008, 12:29
Sorry Jim I never did the Africa Far East run. I did load around Thailand, Singapore, Burma and Malaya once for West Africa and I wound in Japan a few times with Sugar both from Australia and South Africa. I loaded rice in Shanghai for West Africa but I had to wait until 1986 to get to Hong Kong and that was on a bulk carrier. So I can't help you with the Far East Run, the India Africa or the Copra runs are a different kettle of fish.

Thanks for the drink Pete.

John S

RayL
8th May 2008, 17:02
No one seems to have answered 'The Captain's' query about the earlier name of Sukarnapura so I just did a quick search of Google. I think the name you are interested in may be Hollandia.

I am reading messages avidly even when I am not involved, so thanks to everyone who bothers to correspond. Many memories are being dredged up.

Jim Harris
9th May 2008, 11:59
[QUOTE=The Captain;214839]Sorry Jim I never did the Africa Far East run. I did load around Thailand, Singapore, Burma and Malaya once for West Africa

Many thanks, The Captain, and the above run still makes me drool
with envy!:sweat:

So I'll now have to have a cold shower, shake myself down and get
out of my time capsule and accept that I now live in 2008 and
not 1968.... and have a little weep for what might have been!

Thanks and regards,

Jim.

The Captain
9th May 2008, 23:21
Jim, that’s very sad if you have to have a cold shower over a B/L run except if you are drooling over the young ladies in the various port bars you met along the way. Of course your memory's don't take into account the time lapse, if you look in a mirror then imagine what those girls look like today, yes I thought that would bring you back to reality rather quickly.
John S

Jim Harris
10th May 2008, 02:02
[QUOTE=The Captain;215255]if you are drooling over the young ladies in the various port bars you met along the way. Of course your memory's don't take into account the time lapse, if you look in a mirror then imagine what those girls look like today,

You're right, John....

I didn't think on it like that....

Regards,

Jim. [Peter Pan]!

pete
10th May 2008, 11:18
Oh John, how right you are when we remember the young ladies we met when in places like Japan and as for Bugis Street.....well I won't dwell on that......................pete

Andy Lavies
27th June 2008, 14:26
Andy ,when were you on Ettrickbank,I was 2/0on her 15/12/59--19/12/61and 2 years on Isipingo 57-59,moved on to ferrier (ASN)66

JIM (peloris)

Hi, Jim,
I've been away from the site for a while and have only just seen your question. I joined "Ettrickbank" in Oct 1956 and stayed for 16 months when I transferred to "Inchanga" until Dec 1960. Now retired in the New Forest. Regards, Andy Lavies

Alistair Macnab
8th September 2008, 15:30
I was on the Oriental African run twice. On "Ettrickbank" and "Carronbank". It was a great run and we used to have good times all along the route. At first I thought that Durban was the best port (the Officers' Club in Alliwall Street, anyone
was much more there than the Mission! Was it the Star Bar?
Then, of course, the Far East. Singapore and Hong Kong were too quick bt from then on - Wakamatsu/Kobe/Osaka/Nagoya/Yokohama/Otaru
it was one good port after another. The pound/yen exchange was very favorable.

After surviving a typhoon aboard "Ettrickbank" in 1956, we spent two months in the Asano Dock in Yokohama doing repairs and the 20 year survey. There's not much about Yokohama that you can't find out in that time. One weekend, we were movie round-eyed extras, on another, we were tourists to Lake Hakone, and on yet another memorable occasion we chanced the local railway to Tokyo to see Cinerama. You see, boys, it was not all bars and young ladies, but there were lots on tears on our departure!

Southbound were calls in the Philippines (Sagay/Tandok/Jose Panganiban/Zamboanga) mostly logging camps then by way of North Borneo (Sandakan and Wallace Bay with Miri for bunkers) to Bangkok. What can I say about Bangkok. Was it the Venus Bar?
Calling again at Singapore and perhaps Port Swettenham (new name?) we called at Mauritius, Reunion and Madagascar before hitting the African coast.
A run to remember. We had Captain Jim Williams on the "Ettrickbank" and Captain Peter Stewart (and Mrs. Stewart) on the "Carronbank". Our fellow correspondent, Andy Lavies, was first trip apprentice on "Ettrick".
Memories...memories!

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX

China hand
15th September 2008, 21:17
G'day Pete, It's funny how a person can remember all the ports of your first trip to sea. We joined the Laurel in Billingham in March '65 discharging some kind of sulphate then off round Europe, London and completing in Genoa. I think you joined in London when the Irish 3rd Mate went crazy when he found out that 2 year articles really meant that with Bank Line. Then we were off for exotic ports of the tropics via the Suez Canal and Aden, for bunkers. The first stop was at Thursday Island to pick up the Torres Strait pilot, this was very exciting fir a 17 year old who a couple of years before had read the book "A Passage of Islands" then it was on down your list of ports but instead of Nauru we went to Townsville, Mackay, Brisbane and Newcastle to complete discharging by the middle or end of July. The rest of the world called us for the next 10 or 11 months making my first sea voyage so 15 months long - the longest I had been away from my home.
I have one question Pete, you mention "Sukarnapura" which was just over the boarder in West Irian but that was a new name for an old port and I believe that original name may have been restored, WHAT was the original name of Sukarnapura - the name that appeared on the cargo plans? Just as another query, you mentioned Port Vila but I am sure that this wasn't the original name of this port - was it called something else in 1965. You missed out Kieta on Bougainville from your list of ports for the South Pacific run.

Pete do you know what happened to the 2nd Mate, John East, I never heard about him after that trip – he was promoted to Mate after the little problem in Chalna.

John S

Wasn't it Hollandia? Seem to remember doing funny things with a sawmill between there and Wewak on Roybank during the fun n games - China hand

China hand
15th September 2008, 21:35
Hi Hamish,

Remember getting us chucked out of the Playboy club in NoLa? China hand.

ROBERT HENDERSON
15th September 2008, 21:58
Did any of you Bank Line men know a Capt Parsons who I believe was Master with the company.

Robert

China hand
17th September 2008, 17:24
Hamish,

You still in touch with Mike Ward? China hand.

pete
17th September 2008, 19:58
Did any of you Bank Line men know a Capt Parsons who I believe was Master with the company.

Robert

I think you are speaking of Frankie Parsons who was Master with me on the Rowanbank when we carried His Majesty the King of Tonga from Nukualofa to Southampton in 1972. I was sailing as Ch. Off. at the time...................pete

Alistair Macnab
26th September 2008, 23:32
Hamish,

You still in touch with Mike Ward? China hand.

The puzzle deepens! Yes, I,m Hamish and I am still in touch with Mike Ward. I shall be seeing him in New Orleans in mid-October

Alistair (Hamish) Macnab
Houston TX USA

ernhelenbarrett
27th September 2008, 07:12
I did my spell on Tweedbank in 1957, Marconi sent me to join her in London then we went to Cuba, cant remember the port but it was pretty small, and loaded sugar for New Orleans, did the run up the U.S East coast then down again to Galveston, Brownsville, then to Coatzacolcos in Mexico to load sulphur for Australian ports then up to Moresby Samaria Lae Wewak Rabaul and Kavieng for copra then Miri in Borneo then Colombo to change Indian crew
midnight to 5am and after sailing found out that the Indian Butler had taken all the grub from the aft storeroom with him so it was a hungry run home to Birkenhead,The skipper was Owen Owens from Welsh Wales and he was not amused!!. I left her in Glasgow and was then lucky enought to fit out the Radio Gear on SSA Alaric and stayed on her for the next 2 years. Met Capt Owens again in Sydney in 1961 when I was at VIS Coast Station.
Salaams Ern Barrett

John Campbell
27th September 2008, 09:02
Does anyone remember a famous Bank Line personality Stan Sweeney Third Engineer - always good for a laugh and the life and soul of a good party?.

I get a Christmas card from him every year so he is still alive and well. Sailed with him on the Foylebank and Fleetbank.
JC

Naytikos
21st October 2008, 06:23
Donald: If you are who I think, didn't you come from Rothesay where your family had a hotel? You were apprentice on Inverbank in 67 when I was R/O. The officers all took the ferry to Hook then bus to Ymuiden to join. Spent Xmas in d/d in Hamburg. Brian Peterson from Barry was skipper. Well remember the 2nd Mate, John Lees-Moffat from Scone who was the spitting image of James Robertson Justice.
You acquired a monkey in Chittagong and the lecky paid the carpenter to make a coffin when it died while we were on the E African coast.
There was some problem or other with the main engine so we ended up in Avonmouth after a 7 months and 20 days' trip.
That was my only Bank Line outing but was my best experience on a UK flag ship.

P.Bingley
30th October 2008, 22:17
Hello Paul - I think I sailed with you - In fact I think I have some photographs of you

Richard Collinson
Hello Richard.
Nice to hear from you. Long time since Rowanbank. I'd be pleased to look at some of the old photos sometime. Are you still at the old town?
I sent Brian Booth a photo of Lindenbank on Fanning Is. Shame about the instamatic quality.
Kind regards for the minute. Pub calling. Bing.

ROBERT HENDERSON
30th October 2008, 22:33
Hi Pete
I knew Capt. Parsons as Frank, so it obviously the same man.He relieved me as Master on a small coastal tanker, but only stayed for one voyage and I was called back of leave rather quickly. I won't go any further on site.

Regards Robert

Merseyboy
1st November 2008, 22:35
Hi Chaps.
Hope i have made this visible.
M.V. Hollybank i think.
Photo taken Christmas 1974 not sure of port but think it may be madras or calculta.
My father is on the left of photo (sitting) second engineer.
Anyone remember him ?
Regards.
Jim

K urgess
2nd November 2008, 13:33
Sorry, Jim, don't recognise your Dad but I've seen the Captain before.
He may be D. G. McCaffery and second from right may be Dave Barlow who could be second or third mate.
Cheers
Kris

Merseyboy
4th November 2008, 12:44
Cheers Kris (Thumb)

Lynton Trahern
24th November 2008, 05:03
I am not a memeber of the seafaring family but had connections with the Bank Line and Captain Jack Reed.

It all started in about 1944 when he was 3rd officer. My family met him in Durban becacuse my late grand father was claims manager for John.T.Rennie and Sons who were the agents for the Bank Line.

My first memories of Jack Reed were in 1955 when he was master of the Inverbank which was plying between the Far East and South Africa.It was alwyas with much excitement to me as a boy of 8 years when "Uncle Jack" was due in port.

Through the years he captained many vessels in Bank Lines history and like his father before him became Commodore of the Line in his later years.His family became firm friends and his wife Thelma visited our family in SA several times.

A man of straight speech and fair dealings, does anyone on this site remember him or served with him, I would like to hear from you!

ted nutt
4th December 2008, 20:37
Hi andy,Ted Nutt you where my senior,my first trip Oakbank

pete l
14th January 2009, 15:03
i sailed on the 'CLOVERBANK' 1958-1960 was there anyone
else out there who did

pete l

norman74
8th February 2009, 15:56
Hi Jim,
By not doing the far east run you missed a real treat.
I did it twice first on the Yewbank 8-1965 to 10 1966. Had 6 weeks out of my 14 weeks leave and joined the Levernbank 11. 66 to 02.68. I wish I could go back in years and do it all over again.
You would have loved it.
Happy memories norman74

IRW
9th February 2009, 11:18
Norman74
Must have sailed with you as I was 2/O same time. Captain was W. Mendus.

norman74
10th February 2009, 16:18
Norman74
Must have sailed with you as I was 2/O same time. Captain was W. Mendus.
Hi IRW, Would that be Iain who was very good with the needle, (you had a sister who was a nurse) must have been the Yewbank the 1st Mate was Welsh as I remember it an all round good happy crew I was 3rd engineer. Still I had better not run on as you might not be the Iain who I think you could be. Good memoirs Norman Calver.

IRW
10th February 2009, 23:18
Hi IRW, Would that be Iain who was very good with the needle, (you had a sister who was a nurse) must have been the Yewbank the 1st Mate was Welsh as I remember it an all round good happy crew I was 3rd engineer. Still I had better not run on as you might not be the Iain who I think you could be. Good memoirs Norman Calver.

Dont remember the sewing bit, certainly have a sister who was a nurse. The OM (Mendus) was,I think from Fishguard. Can remember wanting to stay on the run but was told there was a waiting list and I'd have to do another full year - as I was married that was a no no as I'd just done a year or so on the (new) Hollybank. Regards Iain Wemyss

norman74
11th February 2009, 13:40
Dont remember the sewing bit, certainly have a sister who was a nurse. The OM (Mendus) was,I think from Fishguard. Can remember wanting to stay on the run but was told there was a waiting list and I'd have to do another full year - as I was married that was a no no as I'd just done a year or so on the (new) Hollybank. Regards Iain Wemyss
Hi Iain, When I refereed to good with a needle the sewing bit was not what I was thinking of I was referring to something a bit more cheeky. I did not know that you wanted to do another run I new that the Mate. 2nd Elec. Sparkly David Smith and myself (David and I were pals he only lived 15 miles from me) we were planning to resign on why we did not I don't remember. Anyway David and I both joined the Levernbank about six weeks later.
Best regards Norman Calver.(Thumb)

Geoff Walker
12th May 2009, 09:49
G'day
Was App on Weybank June 1961- Oct 1962 then Levernbank Jan 1963 to end 1964, signing off in Hong Kong. Joined Weybank in Immingham 21st June 1961. Bremen to load coal for New Caledonia (I recall 56 days at sea followed by 21 days at distant offshore anchorage..) Mostly on regular S.Africa to Far East run. Wonderful ships and wonderful memories. Would do it all again without any hesitation. Excellent training. Being on the Far East run I think I was the only guy to get regular leave every 6 months. Signed off in HKg northbound and rejoined southbound. Spent my leave in the Red Lion, Four Sisters, Ship Inn... great times and many stories... After completion of apprenticeship spent rest of my seagoing life sailing in Far East (well almost).
GW

Risati
26th May 2009, 18:58
Regarding Jimís question ďAnyone Familiar?,Ē Yes. Iím brand new to the forum. Stumbled upon it while cruising the Internet. I boarded Hollybank on New Years Eve 1974, in Lae, Papua New Guinea. Heaven help me, I was a passenger, the only passenger. Having spent the previous couple of years as a volunteer teaching in backwoods Polynesian village and knocking about the South Pacific, I thought I would catch a ride home on Hollybank, which was scheduled to stop in New Orleans. Not my home but at least the right continent. I thought I would use the opportunity to write a book. Well the book didnít happened, still hasnít, but I had an unforgettable time and consider it one of the best decisions Iíve made in life.

Hollybankís previous port was Madang, PNG, where I believe they celebrated Christmas. I recognize everyone except the man on the extreme left. I think he was the chief engineer and left the ship either in Madang or Lae, leaving your dad to fill the chief engineer slot. Unfortunately, most of the names, including your fatherís escape me. I know I have them written down somewhere, but ďsomewhereĒ remains elusive. Attached is a modified image with what I know about the crew. The third mate (English) and another electrician or engineer from Belfast are not in the picture.

I remember your father very well, Iím sorry to hear heís gone. He was a wonderful and erudite conversationalist who could hold forth on any topic. It seemed to me he had an old house with an exposed-beam ceiling in southwest England. He also had bought a shotgun on the voyage and to ease entry past home customs fired it off several times. Not at anyone in particular but more towards the far horizon.

The crew were all Indian from Calcutta. They would rotate crews between Hindus from Calcutta and Muslims from Bangladesh. In this crew was one lone Muslim who would spread a prayer rug on a hatch cover, ask the apprentice which way was Mecca, and every day pray in a different direction as per the answer. The ship had two serangs, (bosuns, foremen) one for the deck the other for the engine room. These guys didnít do anything but were the indispensable link between the officers and crew.

On the Christian side of the house the captain was a North of Ireland Catholic and two of the engineers were Belfast Protestants. One subject of conversation, the North Ireland troubles, was off the table.

Having been isolated from the world for some time I was sort of out of it when it came to popular culture. In particular, the officers were all well acquainted with Monty Python, which I had no clue about. They were doing all the bits from silly walks to dead parrots. I thought they were all just nuts. The apprentice, Judah ****ing Kula ****ing buli, was the most nuts of all. He liked to climb around the outside of the ship. A couple of times, at night, he would hang by his hands from the bow pulpit. All you could see were his fingers. It would make your heart stop. We said if he let go to please smile so we could see him. Fortunately he never let go. Heís a great guy.

The voyage took 54 days from Lae to Liverpool, stopping at Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands (Kiribati) and the Panama Canal. Never did stop in North America. The ship had some issues. The radar didnít work, the gyro compass didnít work and engine often didnít work. A tad frustrating for your dad Iím sure.

Cheers

K urgess
26th May 2009, 20:23
Welcome aboard, Risati.
Thanks for confriming that it's Dave Barlow as second mate.
I'm pretty certain the Captain was McCaffery.
Cheers
Kris

Strath101
27th May 2009, 13:02
For some history and a list of Bankline ships go to

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/bank.htm

hastieman
27th May 2009, 17:43
Hi Donald, welcome back to the site. I was with Bank Line for 15 very informative Years. Served on Laurel, Dart, Fir, Hazel, Rowan, Test, Mara, Spey, Olive, Forres, Hazel (again), and finally Shirra. Whew, what a roll call. All this between 1964 and 1980, and I'd do it all again tomorrow, (sigh)...................cheers...........pete
hi there was on mv foyle bank 1966 happy times

hastieman
27th May 2009, 18:01
When I was on the South Pacific Run we would normally call at Port Moresby, Samarai, Lae, Madang Wewak, Sukarnopura (Occasionally) Rabaul, Kavieng, Honiara, Yandina, Port Vila and then off to drift in off Nauru or Ocean Island waiting for Guano (Phosphate or Bird S**t as you wish) Made for a very interesting Cargo Plan, luckily stowage was done, in the main, by London Office. Happy times including doing our own Tallying..............................pete
hello

Andy Whittle
8th June 2009, 16:42
Hello Andy
Do you remember me from Shirrabank, I was No1 Apprentice. Really good to know you are still around. I'm still at sea, only two years to retirement. I live in Norfolk, UK. Where are you now.
Kind regards
Andy Whittle

Bill Aitken
15th June 2009, 23:03
I have recently reactivated this site and would like to hear from any ex Bank Line folk from the late 60's or 70's living in New Zealand. I served on Inver, Teviot and Mara Bank and keep up a long and abiding love of all things nautical.
Joined her in Tampa USA and off to India. What a Trip !!

Kenneth Morley
15th June 2009, 23:55
Hi Pete, I see you were on the Hazel Bank, was she a coal burner built for 12 fires but only had 8 with a nomans land in the centre. I was fireman at the time what a ship... Kenneth

John Rogers
16th June 2009, 00:52
Ken, that sounds like a weird set up, how many fires did each boiler have. I have sailed with a few that had the three boilers with three fires per boiler,and a couple with 24 fires 12 back to back.

John.

Naytikos
16th June 2009, 02:08
Andy (Post 55) see my post 35: weren't you there too?

busbar
21st June 2009, 21:07
Hello Donald, and everyone else,
The name is David Chambers, from Belfast. I sailed on the Weirbank on the copra run. Joined Liverpool August 1964, paid off Liverpool March 1965. Captain was Fred Feint. I was the 2nd Electrician. Sailed on Laganbank March 1967 to Nov 1967, again copra run Liverpool to Liverpool. This time as senior electrician. Captain was Tom Scott, also from Northern Ireland. He died some years ago.
Regards to all,
David
Newtownards,
Co. Down,
Northern Ireland

Abbeywood.
27th September 2009, 03:39
No one seems to have answered 'The Captain's' query about the earlier name of Sukarnapura so I just did a quick search of Google. I think the name you are interested in may be Hollandia.

I am reading messages avidly even when I am not involved, so thanks to everyone who bothers to correspond. Many memories are being dredged up.

Hollandia re-named Kota Bharu when the Dutch left, then re-named again to become Jayapura.
Think the other name for Port Vila may have been Luganville.

ianian
27th September 2009, 22:44
Did anybody know John Browning out there, or Colin Medlicott, or Brian Peterson also looking for John Lowans ex Master, a friend has asked if I can find him with the help of Ships Nostalgia

ianian

Donald McGhee
28th September 2009, 04:37
Hi Ianian,

I sailed with Brian Peterson, Welshman I think, and his wife on the Inverbank, with Chop Whittle as the other app. We (Chop and I) are in touch again after 40 odd years. What a great site this is.
Brian was agood skipper, always saying "the point of the matter is, looking at the thing basically and taking the mean of the means"! He was a real good bloke and never treated the apps badly, possibly the taking of wives calmed a lot of the buggers down, who knows? Good memories.[=P] (Pint)

Alan Rawlinson
21st October 2009, 16:07
Here's a pic of the old Southbank deck crew posing with the Mate. The Serang is on the left. One of the young Guys next to me claimed to be a graduate. We were in the Western Approaches.

Mike Agate
31st May 2012, 23:10

I was with Bank Line from 62 to 71 & live in Paraparaumu. as a cadet on Trent, South Foyle, Larch, Beaver & Laganbank. 3rd mate on Foyle, Fleet, Yew, Fir, Clover & Roybank.

garry Norton
2nd June 2012, 01:43
I sailed on Rose Bank for a short 7 month trip in 1970's, before that was marine officer pilot in Honiara. In 1990's piloted several Bank Line ships in Jebel Ali, they were always having engine troubles.

Waighty
5th June 2012, 20:09
Alistair talking about the Officer's Club in Durban; wonderful place, many happy memories of fabulous food, lobster thermidor being the best. Also met some very nice members of the opposite sex there!

Venus Bar in Bangkok - well what can one say? Quaffing large quantities of "monkey" and enjoying the rest of what was on offer. One occasion a US warship in for visit, three US matelots out of their heads fighting off vast numbers of Thai police for nearly an hour until the shore patrol with nightsticks showed up! The one occasion a British Seaman's ID card came in handy.

In the western hemisphere though the Harbor Lites in Houston in the early 1970s was great fun and some fabulous folk there - african american nurses for example who went there knowing that Europeans would accept them as human beings unlike their caucasian countrymen. They were helpful in all sorts of ways; guided tours of Houston etc. I learnt a lot about their view on life and how they had to live their lives. Of course you musn't forget the fun part too!!! Things might be different these days in Houston for all I know.

Are the City Docks still used I wonder?

Abbeywood.
8th August 2012, 11:51

The name of the port in West Irian was indeed Hollandia, a remnant of the Dutch East Indies, before it then became Kota Baru with the Indonesian take over of Dutch New Guinea. Later, it became Jayapura.
I was not aware that it had been changed yet again.
It was a quite depressing town as the Dutch ran it down before hand-over.

Pete', 4/3 Eng' Marabank (21/1/64 - 13/5/66) double-header.

Waighty
8th August 2012, 17:18
The name of the port in West Irian was indeed Hollandia, a remnant of the Dutch East Indies, before it then became Kota Baru with the Indonesian take over of Dutch New Guinea. Later, it became Jayapura.
I was not aware that it had been changed yet again.
It was a quite depressing town as the Dutch ran it down before hand-over.

Pete', 4/3 Eng' Marabank (21/1/64 - 13/5/66) double-header.

In 1970 we went there on Avonbank and at that time it was called Dajapura. There was a Dutch stevedore, small plump chap who wandered around in white shorts, off white polo shirt and flip flops. Apparently he'd lived there for years. The ship had two Indonesian army guys at each hatch, both armed throughout our stay. It was good to get back to the relative civilisation of Madang!

China hand
8th August 2012, 18:56
Remember transferring the sawmill from Sukarnapura to Wewak? All very naughty.
First time I ever saw armed policemen warning the ships people off as the tea-leaves rifled the cargo. Roybank 1965.
I suppose it began to go steadilly downhill from about then?(Frogger)

minty
9th August 2012, 12:01
Hi Chaps.
Hope i have made this visible.
M.V. Hollybank i think.
Photo taken Christmas 1974 not sure of port but think it may be madras or calculta.
My father is on the left of photo (sitting) second engineer.
Anyone remember him ?
Regards.
Jim

just found the photo

isn't the guy at the back on the left Mick Richens who was a 2/O with me on the Iris in 77 or 78 ? now lives in South Shields

dick burrow
9th August 2012, 15:57
i remember going down poop hatch on rosebank in 1967 to check unloading of full hatch of heineken for sukarnapura, armed guard was on the piss with dockers and gave me the slit throat signal and touched his lips, telling me to say nowt. went up told john sturgess (old man) he said knock power off deck. stopped unloading. they were robbing cases left right and centre, dropping them in dock and diving in after them. worst lot of thieving tw**ts i ever met, apart from london,liverpool warfies !!!

Waighty
16th August 2012, 18:47
If anyone's read James Clavell's "Noble House", Sukanopura gets a mention as part of the Struan empire!

China hand
17th August 2012, 18:55
Bit of history here for us appies who were there:

Hollandia; Nederlanders sold down the drain.
Kota Baru; Indonesian name for same place.
Sukarnopura; Big boss man's idea of what a town should sound like.
Jayapura; Present name.

Nice climate if you like hot n humid.

Roybank in April 1965 must have been one of the last there (we loaded for Port Moresby, Samarai, Lae, Madang, Wewak,Sukarnopura, Manokwari, Biak, Kavieng, Rabaul, Gizo, Honiara, Noumea, Darwin, Cairns).

I see from my notes that vessel in closed shelter deck condition departing Genoa.
Bunkered at Aden.
Insignificant parcels of inter island cargo accepted at most Island ports
Freeboard leaving Genoa 12'09"
Changed crew at Cochin

Vessel proceeded to Ocean Island for next employment.

God, we had it rough!(Thumb)

Knightswood Boy
24th December 2013, 19:17
are you the same guy as lived in Knightswood.Sailed on the "IvyBank"from April 1954 until July1955>Capt.A>E>NEWTON

Hi Ianian,

I sailed with Brian Peterson, Welshman I think, and his wife on the Inverbank, with Chop Whittle as the other app. We (Chop and I) are in touch again after 40 odd years. What a great site this is.
Brian was agood skipper, always saying "the point of the matter is, looking at the thing basically and taking the mean of the means"! He was a real good bloke and never treated the apps badly, possibly the taking of wives calmed a lot of the buggers down, who knows? Good memories.[=P] (Pint)

Mike Agate
24th December 2013, 20:27
No sorry I joined B/Lin 62

Johnnietwocoats
25th December 2013, 22:53
i remember going down poop hatch on rosebank in 1967 to check unloading of full hatch of heineken for sukarnapura, armed guard was on the piss with dockers and gave me the slit throat signal and touched his lips, telling me to say nowt. went up told john sturgess (old man) he said knock power off deck. stopped unloading. they were robbing cases left right and centre, dropping them in dock and diving in after them. worst lot of thieving tw**ts i ever met, apart from london,liverpool warfies !!!

Good story but weren't we Engineers and Apprentices prone to a wee thieving ourselves sometimes...

I remember my first trip on the Eastbank loading Johnny Walker Scotch and Craven A cigarettes in London on a Brocklebank Charter bound for Suez, Red Sea Ports and the Seychelle Islands...

Our first party after leaving the UK was some beer and quite a few bottles of Scotch...

Donald McGhee
28th December 2013, 02:25
Good story but weren't we Engineers and Apprentices prone to a wee thieving ourselves sometimes...

I remember my first trip on the Eastbank loading Johnny Walker Scotch and Craven A cigarettes in London on a Brocklebank Charter bound for Suez, Red Sea Ports and the Seychelle Islands...

Our first party after leaving the UK was some beer and quite a few bottles of Scotch...

Shocked and stunned to have the good name of apprentices maligned like this! What is the site coming to?
I am starting to mumble now as my tongue is now jammed in my cheek!!!
Yes, alas some items did not seem to have an address on them and I too was guilty of finding a home for them.
What the hell, all good fun at the time and those times are gone, woe!

Johnnietwocoats
28th December 2013, 05:51
Shocked and stunned to have the good name of apprentices maligned like this! What is the site coming to?
I am starting to mumble now as my tongue is now jammed in my cheek!!!
Yes, alas some items did not seem to have an address on them and I too was guilty of finding a home for them.
What the hell, all good fun at the time and those times are gone, woe!

LOL...Hope you had a great Christmas and looking forward to a Happy New Year...