Hello to all Ex Ben Line Shipmates

corydoras
1st June 2006, 12:52
Hi All

I dont know if anyone will remember me or not.

My name is Jim Hutton and I worked for Ben Line between 1977-1985

I started off as Catering Boy, on the Jeddah Crown, and on my last trip I paid off the Bencruachan in Rotterdam 13/11/85.

Looking forward to hear from old acquaintances.

Cheers

Jim

gdynia
1st June 2006, 13:00
Welcome onboard Jim and enjoy your time on site

corydoras
1st June 2006, 13:08
Thanks

R58484956
1st June 2006, 14:34
Welcome corydoras to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, plenty of Ben boys on this site.

Hugh MacLean
1st June 2006, 16:31
Welcome aboard, Jim. Enjoy the site.

Rgds

wully farquhar
1st June 2006, 19:10
Welcome aboard Jim,I am an ex benboat man but i think it was before you,my time with the Ben-Line was in the early sixties,all good times.
Cheers,---------Wully (Thumb)

philwindsor
30th August 2006, 00:45
hello jimmy, i sailed with you a couple of times, i'm sure one trip was on the benhope, 1980 other crew that trip were , taffy bevan, billy cooper, donny macvicar, lincoln wechter,angus macleod chippy, ronnie buchan bosun, and jacko pride skipper, got flew off by chopper in long beach ulcers or something.I'm trying to remember the 2nd stewards name big jimmy ? from aberdeen or was it some guy from glasgow whose mother had died about 6 times so he could not use that x cuse for paying off?

thunderd
30th August 2006, 01:05
Hello Jim, a very warm welcome to the site. I also am an ex Ben Line man but like Wully a bit before your time, in the mid fifties.

I look forward to your posts and hope you enjoy the site.

celsis
30th August 2006, 10:46
hello jimmy, i sailed with you a couple of times, i'm sure one trip was on the benhope, 1980 other crew that trip were , taffy bevan, billy cooper, donny macvicar, lincoln wechter,angus macleod chippy, ronnie buchan bosun, and jacko pride skipper, got flew off by chopper in long beach ulcers or something.I'm trying to remember the 2nd stewards name big jimmy ? from aberdeen or was it some guy from glasgow whose mother had died about 6 times so he could not use that x cuse for paying off?

Would the 2nd steward be Jimmy Davidson? Less said about him the better!

Gulpers
30th August 2006, 13:17
Jim,
......and a warm welcome to the site from me too! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. Good to see you have found some of your old shipmates already!(Thumb)

NZSCOTTY
31st August 2006, 01:11
Welcome Jim from yet another ex Ben Line man. I was cadet 1963 to 66

brucey
5th August 2007, 00:18
Hi All

I dont know if anyone will remember me or not.

My name is Jim Hutton and I worked for Ben Line between 1977-1985

I started off as Catering Boy, on the Jeddah Crown, and on my last trip I paid off the Bencruachan in Rotterdam 13/11/85.

Looking forward to hear from old acquaintances.

Cheers

Jim

hi jim derek bruce here paid off ben cruachan same time as you think i was on ben avon as well

Ali Bain
5th August 2007, 06:27
Welcome aboard Jim, looks like you were joining the Ben Line about the same time I was leaving. There are quite a few Ben Line men on this site, sure you will enjoy it.
Ali. Bain.

ernhelenbarrett
11th October 2007, 08:46
welcome Jim from another ex Ben Line bloke I joined my first in December 1947 the Empire Athelstan and we changed the name to Benalbanach in Antwerp then was on the Doran and Vrackie both Liberty"s then Bencruachan for about 4 years and last one was the Benvorlich another Empire boat, enjoyed every minute of my time on Ben Boats, the office was at 10 North St David Street Edinburgh in those days
Regards Ern Barrett

Joe Freeman
11th October 2007, 20:09
Hi Jim welcome aboard. I sailed with Ben Line from 1965 to 1967 as an engineer on Benvalla and then on Benvorlich for one coast trip. I will never forget the good times with the company. One day I will write about my experience on Benvorlich. There are lots of good stories here.
Joe Freeman.

ian keyl
17th October 2007, 01:05
Welcome Jim ,

We never met but iam sure we will all enjoy any tales you have to tell about ben or any other saltwater tales, I left the sea in 70 and worked in the headoffice for two years then joined the ACT group.
I remember sending some second hand Scania and ERF trucks with ACTs/Eurotreck trailers out to jeddah by main line vessel to be used on the Camel service operated by the crown v/ls. They had a stern ramp and and a passage through the accomodation if i remember and a deck mounted rail gantry crane.
I have been trying to remember some of the crews we put on those vessels but the grey matter is drying up .
Give us some of your tales we Ben lads love a good crack.

Ian Keyl.

john fraser
17th October 2007, 01:54
Ian.
Maybe this will moisten the grey matter regarding the"Jeddah Crown"crew when Ben Line took her over in Rotterdam after the voyage from the builders in Japan.The state of her, "builders"should have read "breakers".
Sandy Hamilton .Master.Duncan Sutherland Ch.Off.John Laws 2/Off.Can't remember 1/Off.Tim ? from Gravesend I think. Ch/Eng I think was P.Davies.2.Eng .D.Shepherd.3/Eng W.Leask.Elect.R.Crawford. Tommy Johnson Bosun.Roger Goudie AB.Angus Maciver AB.( ?) AB.Myself/Cook. Tom Henry Stwd.Gary Smith JCR.Can,t remember Motormen.Thats just off my memory after all those years.She had a Maersk badge on her funnel.painted out by the Brocklebank blue and white.The ships plans on the bulkhead were for Maersk Tempo or Tenso.Mates drove the gantry crane and Hammy did meal reliefs.Every time we stopped at sea.the ramp acted like a sail and spun us round in circles.This is only part of the Jeddah Crown story.

celsis
23rd October 2007, 19:01
Jim, were you the big, tall laddie in Waverley Station with the red hair? I seem to remember your name, but if it was you in Waverley, then I'd be amazed!

mike petrie
28th March 2010, 17:20
hi jim hows it going , i sailed with you a couple of times,cant remember the names of the boats

donsfan
18th July 2010, 13:25
Hi Jim sailed with you on the box boats remember Zanit?