canberra

Paul UK
1st June 2006, 19:25
I dont know if anyone else has seen this site sscanberra.com but even if you have it has great pictures for all.

Paul

Pompeyfan
4th June 2006, 11:07
Yes it is Paul, I know Steve the owner of the site very well. He has done a fantastic job setting it up. We were going to set one up between us but I was not on line in those days, and not good on computers anyway to attempt such a thing. I was very keen since 1997 to set up a Canberra Reunion Club, and wrote to P&O and advertised in their staff newspaper Wavelength. Steve answered this, and like me is keen to set one up which he has tried via the site. Would still like to get together with former Canberra crew if possible especially those from her 'line voyage' era. David

billyboy
4th June 2006, 12:32
I never had the pleasure to sail on this fine ship, but, i knew a chef who sailed for many years on her, even during the falklands crisis. his name was John Solway from Warwick in the midlands.
Was very sad to see the pictures of her on the beach at Alang. I know these things have to happen some day but... still sad to see them broken up like that.
Good luck with starting what i am sure will be an excellent site.

bob johnston
15th June 2006, 23:25
I never had the pleasure to sail on this fine ship, but, i knew a chef who sailed for many years on her, even during the falklands crisis. his name was John Solway from Warwick in the midlands.
Was very sad to see the pictures of her on the beach at Alang. I know these things have to happen some day but... still sad to see them broken up like that.
Good luck with starting what i am sure will be an excellent site.

What years was John Solway on Canberra as it is always interesting to hear of people who live close to your town of birth as I was born in Kenilworth in the Midlands and also Canberra was my first ship in 1974 and one always remember fondly the first trip to sea I wonder if he was on when I was on. I also did my training as a chef in that area.It is interesting that these ships are so big and you do not get to meet people and find out where they are from . Ships crew are so big and you tend to mix with your crew group and maybe see them in the crew mess or on the crew deck.

Bob (Sydney )

hawkey01
16th June 2006, 14:42
Paul , another article on Canberra in July SM.
Hawkey01

Pompeyfan
17th June 2006, 21:41
Hawkey01, see my post on this in the magazines thread. David

meltech
24th August 2006, 03:46
Hi,
Took these photos of Canberra in Fremantle, while I was on M.V. Century, sometime in the early '60s. Can anyone identify the twin funnel liner ahead and opposite? I wonder if it could be J vO?
Regards, John M.

Pompeyfan
27th August 2006, 22:49
Looks like Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt of Nederland Line later to become Lakonia. This would have certainly been early 60s because she became Lakonia in 1963 being destroyed by fire in December of that year while on a Christmas cruise from Southampton. David

meltech
30th August 2006, 09:57
I wondered if it was her. Traveled on the ship in 1949 from Surabaya to Amsterdam. I was only 14 at the time so can't remember much of the trip. When we traveled to Indonesia, it was on the Oranje, she had just been refitted from being a hospital ship during the war. When we arrived at Tandjong Priok we transferred to the K.P.M. steamer Melchior Treub, to travel on to Surabaya. Can anyone recall this ship?
John M.

Pompeyfan
30th August 2006, 10:41
Don't know anything about Melchior Treub, Meltech, but Oranje became Angelina Lauro in 1964. David

gdynia
30th August 2006, 10:48
I wondered if it was her. Traveled on the ship in 1949 from Surabaya to Amsterdam. I was only 14 at the time so can't remember much of the trip. When we traveled to Indonesia, it was on the Oranje, she had just been refitted from being a hospital ship during the war. When we arrived at Tandjong Priok we transferred to the K.P.M. steamer Melchior Treub, to travel on to Surabaya. Can anyone recall this ship?
John M.

John

Melchior Treub, 1913, built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, ... 1945 reverted to KPM, 1958 sold to Straits Steam Ship Co., Singapore renamed Rimba, 1963 scrapped

meltech
31st August 2006, 05:50
Thanks for that information. I recall that most of the public spaces were tiled and the bunks were suspended like pendulums, we thought it was marvelous. She was a steamer of course, a lovely old ship.

Regards, John M.

ruud
3rd September 2006, 11:25
John

Melchior Treub, 1913, built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, ... 1945 reverted to KPM, 1958 sold to Straits Steam Ship Co., Singapore renamed Rimba, 1963 scrapped
Ahoy Nev,
I don't think your data is updated; the Rimba was renamed after the Paneh 1939; the Melchior Treub was scrapped in 1948.
See my database:

ruud
3rd September 2006, 11:30
Thanks for that information. I recall that most of the public spaces were tiled and the bunks were suspended like pendulums, we thought it was marvelous. She was a steamer of course, a lovely old ship.

Regards, John M.
Ahoy John,
Indeed a lovely and in these days[1913] a very luxurious vessel, here some piccies:

ruud
3rd September 2006, 11:32
Ahoy John,

Here 2 more;

meltech
4th September 2006, 00:35
Hello Ruud,
Thanks for the update. I believe that some of my family are holding pictures of the ship taken at the time we traveled on her, probably taken in Tandyong Priok. Will try to dig them up, but may take some time. Knowing my family, quite some time.
Regards, John M.

ruud
4th September 2006, 08:28
Ahoy John,

Without knowing your family, just order them to get those piccies from the "old shoe box" (*)) , as we ain't got a life like Methuselah, [wish I could].(Thumb)

But no kidding, it must have been a wonderfull time, travelling on such a nice vessel.

gdynia
4th September 2006, 08:31
Ahoy Nev,
I don't think your data is updated; the Rimba was renamed after the Paneh 1939; the Melchior Treub was scrapped in 1948.
See my database:
Ruud

Cheers for that Amigo have now updated (Thumb)

FrankB
7th September 2006, 09:21
Hi John M, Looks like the Shaw Savill Dominion Monarch to me. I did my first trip on the DM IN 1961. Frank B

FrankB
7th September 2006, 09:27
Talking about SS Canberra. I served my apprenticeship in Harland & Wolff in the late 50's and did 6 months on fitting out Canberra, with my main claim to fame being to make sure all windows & portholes were watertight - got soaked with a fire hose quite regularly.

Pompeyfan
7th September 2006, 22:36
I thought about Dominion Monarch as first, but the aft end looks different on the ship shown to DM, and I thought DM had a black hull?. David

meltech
10th September 2006, 11:30
Hi Frank and David,
You may be able to recognise the ship from the enclosed, it is an enlargement from the Canberra photo. It is a bit like paintings, the further back you stand the better it looks. It is the best I
can do with the gear available.
Kind regards John M.

Pompeyfan
10th September 2006, 11:57
John

Yes, that is Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt, no doubt about it. I am looking at a picture of her as I write this in my book Ships of Southampton & The Solent edition 1962, and the pictures are indentical. David