Hello from ex Ben Line Cadet

NZSCOTTY
1st June 2006, 22:39
Noticed this Ben Line forum when I joined the other day. I was with Ben Line as cadet from 1963 to 1967. Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi for deep sea trips.

Willie Mac
2nd June 2006, 00:50
Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the site. My own first trip deep sea was as a cadet on the "Benledi". Joined her in August 1969 at West India Docks, done three trips on her before been moved on to the "Benmacdhui". Fantastic times.

Plenty of yarns on this forum from old Ben boat guys, gets you hooked right away.

Regards

Willie Macfarlane

thunderd
2nd June 2006, 00:54
Welcome aboard NZSCOTTY a fair few ex Ben Line people here, I was a cadet with them myself in the mid to late fifties. I hope you join in the forums and enjoy the site offerings.

NZSCOTTY
2nd June 2006, 04:20
Thanks for the welcome to Ben Line pages. Yes it brings back memories of the Ben Line days. Work all day and night - no bridge time (except to clean the brass). SHould have gone as an AB (but couldn't speak the Galic!!

John Cassels
2nd June 2006, 09:43
Great to have you on board at last John, think you will find many ex Ben
people here.

JC

wully farquhar
2nd June 2006, 14:09
Hi there NZSCOTTY,Welcome aboard,what Benboats were you on as it was the same era that i was with them.
Cheers,--------Wully (Thumb)

johnalderman
2nd June 2006, 14:54
Welcome, NZSCOTTY - i am sure you will find many like-minded people on this site.
I also recommend this Internet Site if you haven't found it already.
http://www.ben-line.org.uk/
(Thumb)

R58484956
2nd June 2006, 20:16
Welcome NZSCOTTY to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Hugh MacLean
2nd June 2006, 20:18
Welcome aboard, NZSCOTTY. Enjoy the site.

Rgds

gdynia
2nd June 2006, 20:20
Welcome onboard to SN enjoy your time on site

NZSCOTTY
2nd June 2006, 22:50
Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi but also coastal on others like Benlomond

NZSCOTTY
2nd June 2006, 22:52
Thanks John, I am home on leave now. Bloody cold with frosts

NZSCOTTY
7th June 2006, 09:21
Anyone got photos of Benledi on her maiden voyage.

roymuir
18th June 2006, 14:42
G'day all, first Ben boat was Benstac. Joined in NY on a Barber Line charter as deckboy fresh out of TS Dolphin at the end of "76. Did 8 mnths then joined 'lomond in Grangemouth and took her to scrap in Kaohsiung. Next was the 'lawers, joined her in Avonmouth (where I banged into the NZ Waitangi's crowd and got on the hops for a few days before eventually getting signed on) for a double-header down the west coast of Sth America on a PSNC charter. Next was 'dearg then 'avon and 'cruachan. Think Bencruachan was the last British flagged, steam turbine, general cargo ship in existance. Sure to get a few minds thinking, but let's get the pot stirred!

ian mcinnes
28th January 2007, 07:09
from what i can see i must have been the only one to ever sail on the bendoran joined in liverpool in 64 till 66 she was also a steam turbyne general gargo , still cant find a crew list for her i can remember some of them i also have a pic of our football team when i get my scanner back i will post the pic and names

George Elder
6th August 2007, 10:11
Noticed this Ben Line forum when I joined the other day. I was with Ben Line as cadet from 1963 to 1967. Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi for deep sea trips.

I have a grainy but magic peice of film from super 8 mm that I took in 1966
as the Benledi sailed passed.
I was on the Benvracki

Tom S
6th August 2007, 15:32
from what i can see i must have been the only one to ever sail on the bendoran joined in liverpool in 64 till 66 she was also a steam turbyne general gargo , still cant find a crew list for her i can remember some of them i also have a pic of our football team when i get my scanner back i will post the pic and names

Ian
I was Mate on the Bendoran for over a year in the sixties Ralph Cowie was Master Malcolm Organ Chief Off Myself as Mate Dave Ormistom Second Mate and Chis Cladingbowl was Third Mate I am sure the Lecky was Dave Toshack
thats al I remember
TomS

Paul Barford
7th August 2007, 14:50
G'day all, first Ben boat was Benstac. Joined in NY on a Barber Line charter as deckboy fresh out of TS Dolphin at the end of "76. Did 8 mnths then joined 'lomond in Grangemouth and took her to scrap in Kaohsiung. Next was the 'lawers, joined her in Avonmouth (where I banged into the NZ Waitangi's crowd and got on the hops for a few days before eventually getting signed on) for a double-header down the west coast of Sth America on a PSNC charter. Next was 'dearg then 'avon and 'cruachan. Think Bencruachan was the last British flagged, steam turbine, general cargo ship in existance. Sure to get a few minds thinking, but let's get the pot stirred!
You right Roy, Cruachan was the last British steam turbined cargo vessel in service. I did the last full coast and voyage on her,signing off in Hull on 25th. Feb 1980.
Quite an eventfull voyage! Broken down off Singapore with boiler trouble (leaking tubes), got around the Far East okay but burst more tubes just off the Humber coming home. Remember it was thick fog and late at night as we went up to Hull and only just made it as we were running out of feed water for the boiler. She was quite unique in that she had only one main boiler, although you could run on the 'donkey boiler', but this took around 12hours to change over the pipes etc.After that, she had temporary boiler repairs to get her out to the F.E again and was scrapped. On the voyage I did, Ben line used her as a training ship and if I remember rightly, we had six engineer cadets and six deck cadets on board.

roymuir
7th August 2007, 18:38
G'day Paul, I've just had a look at the old Discharge Book and it looks like I joined the day you paid off. I joined 25.2.1980 in Hull, signed off on 5.5.1980 in Kaohsiung. Harry McIntosh was the Skipper and I think Derek Ferrier was the Bosun.

Regards, Roy.

Eltel
14th August 2007, 19:15
Hi Roy. Yep, you're right. Derek was the Bosun. I also paid off that trip in Kaohsiung but a day or 2 before everyone else as I flew home with the notice of readiness. Shinned down the pilot ladder as she was backing into the breakers berth. Flight home was eventfull too. The st'bd outer engine of the BA 747 I was on caught fire just after take off from Hong Kong. The landing back in Hong Kong on 3 engines was also memorable!!! We knew it was serious when they started handing out free booze as this was still the days of paying (apart from Singapore Airlines & Cathay Pacific). (==D)

forthbridge
29th August 2007, 13:39
Ian
I was Mate on the Bendoran for over a year in the sixties Ralph Cowie was Master Malcolm Organ Chief Off Myself as Mate Dave Ormistom Second Mate and Chis Cladingbowl was Third Mate I am sure the Lecky was Dave Toshack
thats al I remember
TomS

I was Lecky on the Bendoran for I think two trips in the sixties. I think I remember Ian (did you have a beard at that time). John Cringle was master at that time though I think he died on board the trip after I left. I remember Malcolm Organ was Ch Off, I think Abe Davidson was Chief Engineer and George Mabon was 2nd.

Dave Toshack

Tom S
29th August 2007, 16:59
Dave
I remember you well you sailed on two or three ships with me I think the Rinnes was one of them and we had a couple of coasts to-gether. Your Aunt used to live up beside me in Edinburgh
TomS

forthbridge
31st August 2007, 16:53
I think it was my sister who lived near you.
I left Ben Line in 1979 and worked onshore with Amoco for about 20 years until they merged with BP then took early retirement.

cams
18th September 2011, 00:58
hi was ben line cadet in the eeary eighties

Waighty
16th February 2012, 23:13
I was cadet from April 1966 to July 1969 (1 years remission from sea school and MAR). Have to say I wasn't too impressed when in line for uncert 3rd mate's job which was then given to an ex Ellerman guy instead!

Bengloe and Benavon during the seaman's strike of 1966; Benavon being the best fun - 6 weeks in Liverpool. Titch or Twitch Wilson was master; other cadets Davy Keillor, Jim Lough and a big tall guy with a full beard who went with Mobil after Ben Line. We cadets had to do the catering on board - preparing, cooking and serving. Not often you saw cadets serving in the saloon in "Tuff" boots! I'm surpised none of the officers collapsed with food poisoning.

Other ships - Benvalla, Benledi, Bennevis, Benvannoch.

Following the uncert 3rd mate issue, I left and went with Bank Line for the rest of my time in Merch, albeit with a few minor diversions to Denholm-Maclay, Helmville and Bristol Steam Navigation. Finally went with Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service, which on the seagoers was nothing like the Merch but as master got plenty of shiphandling and freedom to act as an old time master without schedule restraints, oh and no Merchant Shipping Acts either! All good things come to an end they've now been privatised and gone to Serco. (Pint)

ernhelenbarrett
17th February 2012, 06:22
Joined Empire Athelstan 1st December 1947 straight from TS Dolphin, renamed her Benalbanach in Antwerp, next was on Bendoran ex Sam boat next Benvrackie also ex Sam boat then Bencruachan for a few years then BenVorlich
then back to the old Leith Nautical for my PMG thence Marconi/AWA/OTC. Ben Line was a great Ciompany, sadly alas all have gone
Ern Barrett

Bobmac
31st May 2013, 10:13
Hi NZScotty, Did 4 yrs with Ben came to NZ 66 when John Flett ex Ben Line was New Plymouth Harbourmaster, good bloke. Bobmac

benchallam
22nd June 2013, 12:29

i have a photo of

benchallam
22nd June 2013, 12:29

benchallam
22nd June 2013, 12:35
i have a photo of the benledi built in 1945 a heavy lifter so may be before your time,i was on her in1962 in west heartepool wood yard,laid up.you are not allowed to use a company photograph because of copyright

NZSCOTTY
6th August 2013, 05:07
i have a photo of the benledi built in 1945 a heavy lifter so may be before your time,i was on her in1962 in west heartepool wood yard,laid up.you are not allowed to use a company photograph because of copyright

Yes before my time (just) but do you really worry about copyright now?

benchallam
6th August 2013, 11:05
yes according to shipsnostalgia you are not allowed to use a company photograph,due to copyright,i suppose if i asked the company it may be ok,its a thought..i have a photograph of ss benloyal,ss benvenue,ss benhiant,but can't use them..on the ben ledi
you may have read my previous story how i was ships captain for an hour [ title i have given myself ? ]its all true...i have another story on the same ship coming out soon,i think i may title it"the missing meat joint"...i will make it my next story in a few days,and again it is quite
true...i am off to edinburgh with my grandchildren now as it is music festable time again lots on for the kids... many tnx for your email !!!(*))