Historic Warships Birkenhead

Santos
3rd June 2006, 01:16
News just received that HMS Onyx, part of the now defunct ( thanks to property developers )( depict person spitting ) (Cloud) Historic Warships Trust at Birkenhead is to leave Merseyside,

She has been bought by a Lincolnshire Firm for 100.000.

At least she is not being scrapped. It looks like the end of any rescue attempt. I hope a good home is found for the other vessels.

Chris.

mcook
3rd June 2006, 14:27
When I lived in the UK I visited these ships on several occasions with my young children (not that I needed them as an excuse).
I am assuming the 'developers' (spit) are turning the adjacent warehouses into the
usual pile of overpriced flats. I was thinking that what a shame it was that they (spit) could not have incorporated the ships into their development plans? I would imagine that it would have been an attractive selling point if the ships had remained, or at least some of them.
I guess, however, that the thought of losing an acre of land to allow for parking was too expensive (or money losing) for the developers (spit) to consider.

I am pleased to hear, at least, that HMS Onyx now has a future.

My mouth is dry, I am going for a drink!

malcolm :@

Santos
3rd June 2006, 21:06
Thanks Malcolm,

You are absolutely spot on.

Chris.

Santos
4th June 2006, 21:29
Hi everyone,

Seems Teletext was wrong, Onyx is going to Barrow, to become part of a Submarine Heritage Centre, which is good news for Barrow, but bad news for the Wirral. Lost out again.

Chris.

john g
23rd January 2010, 21:55
Apart from a nice car park and what looks like a lot of subtle plastic windows the site still looks the same.....I wouldn't live there for a big clock. There are dreams of a massive development ( Canary Warf style) but seeing is believeing doubt that will happen in the near future as you say if the museum had been incorporated things would look better. I think the Frigate is up by the old Clan Line bearth , The U -Boat is at Woodside cut into sections as a museum, your right about the sub, I think there was a mine sweeper but where now ?? Really Merseyside lacks good maritime museum space when you consider the history. Albert Dock is ok but poor on the shipping side when you count the number of companies that were based there.

Thats another Story
23rd January 2010, 22:06
liverpool side there is plenty of empty docks? its a shame all they are now is a big scrap yard.

Captain America
25th January 2010, 18:13
Wirral Borough Council lacks insight and fore-thought and have been no different since the Tower was dismantled in New Brighton, almost 100 years ago, or numerous other heritage sites which have been squandered. So much so, that I often wonder if the councillors are all in-bred, their short-sightedness is so extreme. Wirral is a great place to live, sadly let down by poor local government, the scale of which only begins to become vividly apparent as the years roll by.

Compass Rose
9th June 2010, 06:55
I was wondering if any members might have an update as to the fate of HMS Onyx in Barrow.What happen to the plan for a Submarine Heritage Centre ?. The poor old Plymouth is now looking rough laid up in Vittoria Dock Birkenhead. The Bronington has a list, and is falling apart (Decks are shot) rumor had it the the Bronington was going to be taken over by the YMCA as a project! but it will take a very brave(and rich)organization to take her on. Thanks in advance.

Compass Rose
13th June 2010, 13:49
I guess no members live near Barrow ???

Ron Stringer
13th June 2010, 15:00
I guess no members live near Barrow ???

Try sparkie2182

Compass Rose
13th June 2010, 15:34
Try sparkie2182

Thank's Ron, I do have a personal interest in Onyx,very sorry to see her leave the Wirral and nothing heard of since? thanks again

michael charters
13th June 2010, 17:19
Is one of the reasons for the plight of these historoical ships, is the health and safety issues to the public visiting?

captain61
14th June 2010, 16:05
No Michael nothing to do with H&S the reason is PEEL HOLDINGS KICKING THEM OFF THERE BERTH, AND THE WARSHIP PRESERVATION NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME

Stephen

Compass Rose
14th June 2010, 22:58
No Michael nothing to do with H&S the reason is PEEL HOLDINGS KICKING THEM OFF THERE BERTH, AND THE WARSHIP PRESERVATION NOT LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME

Stephen
Not quite right,yes peel holding kicked them of the berth,but there was no viable offer of any new berth ,as the Trust had to be off the berth in a very short time.

sparkie2182
14th June 2010, 23:13
Hello Compass Rose.........

Oxyx has been longside in the Ramden Dock in Barrow for some time now.
She is entirely deserted and looks forlorn to me.
The Submarine Heritage Center seems to have submerged but an email to the Submariners Association which is based here in Barrow should return with more info.

I will endeavour to post a couple of pics of Onyx for you in the coming week on this thread.

Best regards......

S2182

P.S..........An email to this site may prove worthwhile also........

http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/

Compass Rose
15th June 2010, 07:00
Thank's very much for the reply S2182 as you say the poor old Onyx looks forlorn, sad to see her like this, let's hope there is a future for her and that Barrow has an attraction to be proud of.

captain61
15th June 2010, 11:58
Not quite right,yes peel holding kicked them of the berth,but there was no viable offer of any new berth ,as the Trust had to be off the berth in a very short time.

I know a few of the old trust members, and they had been informed of peel holdings decision for a long time ( just didnt say anything to the staff & volunteers)

I hope they manage to sort out ONYX for you

Stephen

Compass Rose
15th June 2010, 12:13
I know a few of the old trust members, and they had been informed of peel holdings decision for a long time ( just didnt say anything to the staff & volunteers)

I hope they manage to sort out ONYX for you

Stephen

I see were your coming from Stephen, the board were not know for there ability for keeping staff & vol's informed.

captain61
15th June 2010, 12:30
Barrow has got its sea festival this weekend hopefully there should be plenty of picsof ONYX on this site this weekend

Degzie
18th June 2010, 13:47
Hi found a link for HMS Onyx, it appears to give you a interactive tour of the sub.
http://www.baesystemseducationprogramme.com/games-and-multimedia/interactive-learning/
cheers
Degzie

Duncan112
18th June 2010, 17:39
Wonderful link - Clydebuilt as well!!

davidrwarwick
29th September 2010, 11:47
Looks like the end may be in sight for HMS Bronington she has been moved from the old Clan Line Berth in Vittoria dock to Gilbrook Basin West Float. Ready for demolition?

http://www.irishseashipping.com/photofeatures/historicships/hmsbronington180910/hmsbronington180910.htm

Dave

captain61
29th September 2010, 12:12
Hi Dave Looks like they will do the same as they did with Kellington cut her down to the waterline then lift the rest ashore its a crying shame 118 of these fine ships built and they cant even look after one (Cloud)

Stephen

davidrwarwick
29th September 2010, 13:54
Once HMS Bronington goes it will only be a matter of time before HMS Plymouth meets the gas axe and Peel Holdings will have their docks nice and empty, the Tank Landing Craft is already sitting on the bottom, U534 has been cut up and is now exhibited at Woodside Ferry, Hms Onyx has gone to Barrow. The last vestiges of the Historic Warship Trust gone due to the greed of the dock owners, also why the Manxman is going to scrap as no berth could be made avaiable for her ! I passed Birkenhead docks yesterday and on the vast dock estate I counted FOUR ships where there are berths for a four dozen. What a disgrace.

Dave

Ron Stringer
29th September 2010, 16:07
I passed Birkenhead docks yesterday and on the vast dock estate I counted FOUR ships where there are berths for a four dozen. What a disgrace.

Yes but what a bonanza for a property owner/developer like Peel Holdings, once those messy ship things are out of the way and the smelly docks can be filled in and built on.

michael charters
29th September 2010, 17:34
if those histroical ship could not be saved, surely some one could film 360degree view of all on board, This could be publish for museums or general public, If you know the battle for the Falklands one would realises the value of these Ships mentioned, Have visited these Ships and it was a wonderful feeling that I could see were many brave personell had done their duty for Great Britain. The same nostalgic feeling seeing were Nelson lay on HMS Victory,
A pitty they have not kept some cargo vessels at Liverpool museum.
In Hamburgh they have restored a Ship for all to see. It is viewed on Google Earth. Good virtual tour including engine room. God bless all who sailed in those ships, We remember them all,

captain61
29th September 2010, 17:51
Yes but what a bonanza for a property owner/developer like Peel Holdings, once those messy ship things are out of the way and the smelly docks can be filled in and built on.

The one thing that gets me is when Bronington was at Salford quays under the bronington trust. Peel Holdings gave her a free berth