United Baltic Corp

Pages : [1] 2

redgreggie
3rd June 2006, 14:44
you don't see much about this company on here.
I was on two of their ships, the Baltic Jet which sailed out of Hull and went mainly to Finland, I also went to Russia and Poland with this company but that might have been on the Baltic Importer which went out of the Surrey Commercial Docks.
I was galley boy on both ships, it was in the late sixties that I was with both ships, probably 1967 or 8, I stayed on either ship at least 6 months which was unusual for me.
Names I remember;on the Baltic Jet, David..pantry boy, Laurie..assistant steward, Jim..chief steward, Bob Holcombe..cook, the name Dodo Grady also rings a bell, he was a giant of a bloke, worked on deck, AB I believe, I remember one occassion where the deckies were over the side on a raft, in Hull I think, they were painting over the side, they had missed locking one of the loos, Dodo Grady was storming through the ship as he got covered in something not too nice.
Really enjoyed both ships.
The Baltic Importer, I remember the chief steward was a small guy from Hull, he was a right Teddy Boy, pointed shoes and all, nice bloke, didn't interfere too much with us in the galley, the cook was a good cook, scottish bloke, he had his wife down on the ship a couple of times when we were in London.
I remember going to a pub just outside the docks, The Jolly Caulkers, I think the area is classed as Rotherhithe.
I got on really well with the assistant steward, long haired lad who came from Devon, can't remember his name but a top bloke he was.
He left and then I remember his replacement was from Wolverhampton, a big mop of ginger hair and tash as well, another nice chap, I remember the other boy was a tall kid from Auchtermauchlie in Scotland, not sure if I've spelt it correctly.
I remember getting caught with 200 cigs that I'd stashed and was fined 10 a bit stiff when you're on 24 a month.
Both ships were really good, decent feeders......though I can't ever say I sailed on anything that wasn't a good feeder, good cooks and good crewmates, some more info is coming back as I write, the bosun was a tall chap called Aiden, we had a lamptrimmer or was he the chippy, chippy methinks, I remember he broke curfew in Russia and he had his shore leave permit stopped, he was desperate as he was seeing this woman.The second steward was a real small, fragile looking Scottish guy who really kept himself to himself, didn't seem to mix with anyone, harmless though.
Anyway if I haven't made it clear both ships were really good, and again I must say that I'm surprised that there isn't more written about them.

Baltic Wal
3rd June 2006, 15:53
There have been a few comments about UBC on this forum some time ago.
I sailed on the Sprite, Merchant, Importer and Exporter in a period of 2 1/2 years with them. I am surprised that the Importer went to Leningrad, for all the time I was with them, up to coming ashore in 1967 it was the Merchant that was on the Leningrad run. I did two 6 months spells on her doing the Surrey docks to Leningrad, according to my discharge book I am still in Russia as on my last trip we were supposed to go from Leningrad to Riga, but in the Gulf of Finland this was cancelled and my book was never stamped with the second stamp.

redgreggie
3rd June 2006, 18:42
cheers for that Baltic Wal, it's difficult for me as my discharge book disappeared many years ago, my first wife seemed to mis-place it, I believe you can get a replacement and I plan to do that one day.
I always felt very uneasy in Russia, what with the guards at various points of the quay around the ship, and them coming on board doing their various checks.
I'm reasonably sure it was the Importer that I went to Russia and Poland on.
I was with both of the ships for around 6 month spells, I was taught how to play crib on the Jet, loved the game, still do but it's so rare to see anyone playing it.
Happy days, eh.

theaskew
19th June 2007, 16:42
Hi I was on the Baltic Merchant In Feb,1964.
We was trapped in the ice with a few more ships
while the icebrecker came.I'm like you I use to feel uneasy
In Russia
Artie

Trader
21st June 2007, 01:34
you don't see much about this company on here.

Anyway if I haven't made it clear both ships were really good, and again I must say that I'm surprised that there isn't more written about them.

Hi redgreggie,

I am also surprised that there are not more posts on here about the "Baltic boats". They had quite a few ships sailing out of different ports years ago.

I sailed on three of them,

"Baltic Express" London to Finland in 1970
"Baltic Sprite" Manchester to Finland in 1971
"Baltic Viking" Manchester to Riga, Latvia in 1972

They were all good jobs, except for the "Express". We lived aft (AB's) and not very good accommodation. Food was good and we had a good deck crowd, Bosun, Chippy etc.. and a good run. I loved all the ports in Finland even though we were there in the winter(not very nice if you were on deck). The sad part of my time on there was when we lost the Mate and Chippy. They were washed off the foc'sle head down to the forepart of the bridge and died of their injuries. We were on the way from Finland to Methil and this incident happened halfway across the North Sea.

Yankee helicopters came out to us but it was too late for the mate who died in our arms(we were hanging on to them to keep them comfortable as the ship was rolling like a bastard, we had them in the accommodation by this time) The chippy was taken off in the helicopter but died on the way to Aberdeen hospital.

I did one more trip back to Finland and we took the mates body back in the ships hospital. He was newly married to a Finnish girl and was only in his early thirties. His name was Charlie (Kirk) Church. A lovely man, what a waste.

The Chippy/Handyman was called Chris Wardle, a Geordie from North or South Shields (I can't remember which) a married man with a few children. Another lovely man and good shipmate. His good mate, who also was on there, was Kenny Burns.

After this incident I couldn't sail in her again even though I did do one more trip, no fault of the ship, but there was something about her that I couldn't handle. I paid off in Millwall Dock, London and a week later joined the "Blenheim" (Fred Olsen line) in the same dock just before Christmas.

What a contrast, from the icy Baltic winter to cruising to the Canary Islands.

I joined the "Baltic Sprite" in Manchester in 1971. A lovely little ship, three hatches and three cranes. Good accommodation and grub. I did a few trips in her and finished up relieving the Bosun(a Pole who had been there for years, a very nice man). I didn't see eye to eye with the mate and paid off in Erith on the Thames with the rest of the deck crowd.

My last ship was the "Baltic Viking". Joined her New Years Eve 1971 and stayed there six months until June 72. On of the best ships I ever sailed on. Two hatches, Thomson derricks. A great crew right down from the "old man" to the Galley boy. Three on deck and a Bosun. Albert Kenyon from Manchester was the Bosun and the Mate was Ron Harvey, a cock bird. We all did our jobs(no room for skivers and head workers) and every one was happy from the skipper down. I only left to join the Hovercraft in Dover( which I had been on the previous season) which was full of dolly birds.

I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing as I am still in Dover after 35 years.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had some good and sad times on the "Baltic boats"

Alec.

redgreggie
21st June 2007, 12:30
nice to read your post Alex, albeit some very sad memories for sure.
Other than a couple of tankers and a couple of ferries the bulk of my career was spent on runs to Scandinavia, rock dodging as the deep sea lads use to refer to it.
I was with an Ellerman Wilson ship, the Silvio, which would have been around the same size as the Baltic Jet and the Baltic Importer, and I enjoyed all three ships.

I was galley boy on all three ships, and whilst I enjoyed all three I much preferred my time on the Baltic boats.
I got on famously with the cook on the Jet, I'm sure as I can be that his name was Bob Holcolme, as I said in my initial post I learnt how to play crib on there, you don't see people playing that game in pubs anymore do you, that's because the landlord/brewery haven't sussed out how to devise a pegboard where you have to install money before you can play!..........no doubt they're working on the idea.

Yes they were tidy little shipsand I really enjoyed working on them.

Ray.

gdynia
21st June 2007, 12:47
Ray
Spent the best 3 years of my time at sea on Baltic Venture running mainly Finland to NW Europe. Did one other trip each on Baltic Arrow, Baltic Jet and Goya the latter was a week around trip Southampton Spain , France and Back. The Jet and Arrow both on UK to Poland run

PollY Anna
21st June 2007, 13:32
Hi Mates
Did one short trip on the Arrow but I picked the wrong time right in the middle of deepest darkest WINTER nothing wrong with the food or the crew just me, not able to take the sea freezing and thought I would be better of in the sun Trip from Surrey docks Finland back to Hull. Early sixties.

Ron

frank earl
21st June 2007, 13:49
Hi,my name is Frank Earl and I sailed on the Baltic Sun in the 1960s.We ran from tower bridge to Gdynia and Gdansk,bringing frozen pork carcasses.The dockers were women who dodged the armed guards and ate a frozen pork carcass every day using a hacksaw blade.The bones were dropped over the side.Times were tough for them in post war Poland.More info if you would like some.Frank(Bert Bloggs on this site).

michaelF
21st June 2007, 14:43
Hi all ,
in 73 did two trips on sprite and one on the venture as third mate , those were some of the best days of my seagoing life , the sprite was something special .
The captain was Jackie Jones from Southend ( i think )
the Bosun(a Pole who had been there for years, a very nice man) Kroll
One of the second mates ( sorry forget name ) with ginger hair , later made international news as his request for a wife sent in a bottle washed up on a Sweedish beach , perhaps somebody as more info on this .
Also have heard that one of my long lost cousins has married an ex captain from UBC , John Rose , if he or anybody knows email addresse please let me know .

mike

gdynia
21st June 2007, 15:25
Mike
Captain Jones was a Gentleman and was mad keen on Paddington Bear - a real character

michaelF
21st June 2007, 15:36
Mike
Captain Jones was a Gentleman and was mad keen on Paddington Bear - a real character

He certainly was , i remember we were once just reading the draft marks before sailing and my mum and dad appeared on the dock ,they hadnt seen me for ages and they were visiting London . He postponed sailing for a few hours while he entertained my parents on board with a drink . My mum who had never been on a ship before remembered this for the rest of her life .

mike

ps dont remember the paddington Bear thing

mike

gdynia
21st June 2007, 15:53
Mike
He suddenly took a liking for Paddington Bear and even had a Flag made with the Bear on it. There was also a Paddington Bear on the Bridge where in its paw was kept the Night Order Book. If Im correct that was Baltic Vanguard on the Russian run. Im certain he was made redundant months before he got his 25 year service in.

michaelF
21st June 2007, 16:48
Im certain he was made redundant months before he got his 25 year service in.

When would that be about then ??

Also remember once he shouted up to the bridge "let me know when close to fishing boats " , being a young oow and from Deep sea i kept well clear of all v/l's ,until he came on the bridge headed into the middle of the fishing fleet waiving a bottle and a carton of 200 , that was the best fish supper i had ever tasted .

mike

Bridie
21st June 2007, 21:54
Baltic Star 1970 - EDH
Baltic Vanguard 1970 - AB

If you do a search in the Gallery, there are a few Baltic Boats in there - ice and all!

notnila
21st June 2007, 23:14
A few weeks ago I saw a ship in Burntisland,as far as I remember she was"Baltic Express"registered Gibralter.Were they "Flagged out" or bought out?

Trader
22nd June 2007, 01:05
Hi notnila,
The "Baltic Express" that I sailed on was broken up in India in 1984.

Trader.

gdynia
22nd June 2007, 10:33
Mike
It would of been early 80,s I think. The only UBC vessel Ive seen in last few years is Baltic Tern a small container feeder vessel which runs into Gdynia in Poland fom UK

dondoncarp
22nd June 2007, 14:22
Was on the Baltic osprey for around 18 months in the mid eighties(a small container boat)running fom tilbury to leningrad and occasionally gdynia.
They had 2 ro ro boats The eagle and The progress running to finland (Bounce)

redgreggie
22nd June 2007, 15:05
nice to see a bit of up to date banter about this company.
I have had things come to mind about the Baltic Importer, particularly some of the escapades of the Skipper, I can't remember his name, if I remember correctly he was a smallish chap who liked a drink........or two........!

I recall this particular day we had just set sail on another trip, we were coming down the Thames, probably from Surrey Commercial Dock, a place that use to be heaving with ships back then, this would have been the late 60's...........what is it now......Marina,......... filled in and made into office space........or heavens forbid a car park.........oh, I digress........nostalgic melancholy I guess.........or the disgust at how the fine Merchant Navy has been allowed to disintegrate in this country,..........so back to the story...........
......so we were sailing down the Thames with the pilot on board.
I was in the galley with the cook preparing that evenings grub, all of a sudden all the pans on the stove swung over to one side, it was as though we were doing a sharp right.
I rushed out of the galley onto deck, there directly in front of us was a 'train' of barges, were they called lighters?, anyway there's 5or 6 of them and we're steaming right for them.
We hit one, it went partially under the water, then popped back out like a cork would do if you held it under water then let it back up.
We could only guess that the old man had been on the juice, from what we were told later on he had thrown the pilot off of the bridge, and that was the consequence of his actions.
Never a dull moment you might say.

Another little memory from that ship, the cook and the chief steward had a nice little earner going on there selling ciggys.
There was a companionway in the galley that led down to the fridges, at the bottom of the companionway you could take the end of the runner to each side of the steps, this space ran right the way up each side of the steps, they use to load this space with cigs and maybe booze.
They were going for ages, then one day a customs officer decided to take the end cap off, there was nothing stashed........but one carton of cigs had previously got caught at an angle and the customs managed to get it out.
They couldn't prove anything as it was a brand we had stopped selling a while back.
Imagine my indignation though when I got caught with 200, fined 10 which was the best part of 2 weeks wage!

Happy days eh.

Ray.

Trader
22nd June 2007, 16:16
Another little memory from that ship, the cook and the chief steward had a nice little earner going on there selling ciggys.

Ray.
Hi Ray,
We all had a little scam going in my days on the "Baltic Viking", Chewing gum. Latvia was part of the USSR then and chewing gum was unavailable. The Ch/Steward/Cook used to get it for us from the ships chandlers in UK, it cost us 50 pence for a big carton and we could get 5 roubles for it off the dockers. A rouble= 1 in those days, we were loaded but as we couldn't change it back into Sterling we had to spend it in Riga. We used to drink Russian champagne up in the International Club as the beer was crap.

We had to be careful going ashore though as sometimes we were searched at the dock gate. We stuffed our roubles into our ties and pushed them right in so that they were at the back of our necks. They would have wanted to know where we got all the roubles from if we were caught.

I think that I know the Skipper you refer to as we had a similar one on the "Baltic Express".

All the best....Alec.

connie
22nd June 2007, 16:52
hi just finished reading the posts.on ubc,i sailed as galley boy on the vanguard from11/3/75to5/8/75 mainly up to finland via the kiel canal, for news print,returning to either depthford,felixstowe,blyth and grangemouth, and tyne dock.occasionally we went to gdansk in poland, and i think we were also in drydock for a while in hull,wondered if any other members were on her the same time as me and when her final demise occured.
regards connie.

notnila
22nd June 2007, 23:56
Hi notnila,
The "Baltic Express" that I sailed on was broken up in India in 1984.

Trader.
Hi Trader, I realise that it couldn't be the same vessel.As most Companies repeat ships names,I wondered if the Company is still operating having "flagged out".
Regards Arch/notnila

dondoncarp
23rd June 2007, 01:10
Osprey in eighties....can`t remember his history

trotterdotpom
23rd June 2007, 06:42
I remember going to the foreign currency shop inside the gate at either Riga or Klaipeda, not sure which, and being served by a bloke with what sounded to me like a Hull accent. I commented on his good command of English and he said: "I ought to have, I'm the cook of the Baltic ....(?)!"

John T.

PAULD
25th June 2007, 17:06
hi just finished reading the posts.on ubc,i sailed as galley boy on the vanguard from11/3/75to5/8/75 mainly up to finland via the kiel canal, for news print,returning to either depthford,felixstowe,blyth and grangemouth, and tyne dock.occasionally we went to gdansk in poland, and i think we were also in drydock for a while in hull,wondered if any other members were on her the same time as me and when her final demise occured.
regards connie.

I was on her late 75, I was the 4th engineer on her, and we had christmass in Helsinki. It was a christmass with a difference, the first mate decided to chop up a stropy ab with a fire axe, but he got it stuck in the wrong bunk thank god. The law came and took him away. We had a second engineer nicked named clotted cream on board. He lived in bideford. He managed to split the end of my finger open, skin peeled back around the end of it with the bone sticking out, still get bother with it now

MikeK
3rd July 2007, 18:39
Osprey in eighties....can`t remember his history

Hi all, just joined the forum and did a search on United Baltic - bingo, just like coming home !! I joined the Baltic Venture in '76 and served on nearly all the fleet until 98, ending up as the 'Harry Tate' on the Baltic Eagle. Budgie was a good friend and shipmate of mine over the years mostly on the Baltic Osprey and the last time I sailed with him was on 'Oyster Bay' in the Indian Ocean. He left the Osprey in a hurry after a trip up to Leningrad when he was ashore shopping and trying to hail a cab back to the ship. Just as it pulled to the kerb, two KGB blokes appeared at his elbows and said "You won't be needing that Michael" and whipped him off to the KGB office ! They threatened him with years behind bars for various offences or if he reported back to them on the smuggling activities of his shipmates he would be let off. He naturally picked the second option and then left the ship when it docked in Tilbury. That was when I came back off leave and poor old Budge was nearly in tears. When we were next together on the charter ship the crowd played an awful trick on him by making a false fax saying that the next charter was Vladivostok for orders !!
Any idea where he is now ??
MikeK

dondoncarp
4th July 2007, 10:50
Hi all, just joined the forum and did a search on United Baltic - bingo, just like coming home !! I joined the Baltic Venture in '76 and served on nearly all the fleet until 98, ending up as the 'Harry Tate' on the Baltic Eagle. Budgie was a good friend and shipmate of mine over the years mostly on the Baltic Osprey and the last time I sailed with him was on 'Oyster Bay' in the Indian Ocean. He left the Osprey in a hurry after a trip up to Leningrad when he was ashore shopping and trying to hail a cab back to the ship. Just as it pulled to the kerb, two KGB blokes appeared at his elbows and said "You won't be needing that Michael" and whipped him off to the KGB office ! They threatened him with years behind bars for various offences or if he reported back to them on the smuggling activities of his shipmates he would be let off. He naturally picked the second option and then left the ship when it docked in Tilbury. That was when I came back off leave and poor old Budge was nearly in tears. When we were next together on the charter ship the crowd played an awful trick on him by making a false fax saying that the next charter was Vladivostok for orders !!
Any idea where he is now ??
MikeK

Don`t know where he is...not far from a fruit machine i expect....was with him on osprey for 18 months...previous to that my brother was on with him for a couple of years before moving to the eagle

MikeK
4th July 2007, 11:34
Thanks for that Don (?) I had forgotten about his affinity with one arm bandits !. We must have many mutual shipmates from UBC and/or your brother. Off the top of my head, Joe Meggett, George Brown, Zak the bosun. If I think long enough there must be dozens. Since the Baltic boats have disappeared they must nearly all be on the beach by now, I don't know if anyone was taken on the new government ro ro's.
I read about Jackie Jones farther back in the thread - I agree he is (or was) one of life's natural gents, if not a little eccentric ! Besides Paddington Bear fully booted and spurred with first aid kit and all shoved in the rubber eyepiece of the radar there was also a leather seal balanced on a ball that lived on the bridge window sill to help the mate keep a lookout ! Jackies other trick was to stand Pad on the end of his cabin table along with an open can of Coke when the port officials all turned up in Leningrad for the free booze and fags and say to them "I'll leave Paddington to look after you" then come to our cabins leaving puzzled Russians behind ! He referred to them as 'Imps, Pimps and Banjo Players'

MikeK

gdynia
4th July 2007, 11:43
Mike
Was there not also a 2nd Mate at sime time with Jackie used to pipe the vangaurd in and out of Leningrad on the Bagpipes

MikeK
4th July 2007, 12:36
Mike
Was there not also a 2nd Mate at sime time with Jackie used to pipe the vangaurd in and out of Leningrad on the Bagpipes

Yes but I cannot remember his name. I sailed with him but not sure which ship (Valiant ?) I have a mental picture of him strutting up and down the boat deck puffing away with blank looks from the people on the quay. There was another 'character' old man on the Jet when I joined her (2nd ship in the company) He was fond of his sauce and reputed to have missed one port completely out of his memory ! There was an article in the Hull local rag when he lost his false teeth over the bridge staggering back to the ship (the little one not the big one - it wasn't built then) and a copper climbed over and rescued them. Needless to say he was feeling no pain at the time. Again my memory fails me as to names. When you hear about dry ship/breathalisers etc in the merch today it makes you wonder how we ever got anywhere with some of the 'Balboat' characters driving.
By the way somebody asked the fate of the Vanguard. It was chopped and lengthened in Middle Docks and the cranes were taken off. She then emerged as the 'Cortes' on the Liverpool/Cartagena/Valencia/ Barcelona boxboat run.(Capt. 'J.C' Collins, C/E 'Doc' Halliday) Eventually she was chartered and then sold to a Canadian outfit, as was the Valiant and I think one other.(Viking ?) I was on her on hand over to the Canadians but would have to find my discharge book for dates

Mike

dondoncarp
4th July 2007, 14:12
hi mikek
if you search the gallery under baltic osprey...ive posted a few pics of crew including budgie (Thumb)

gdynia
4th July 2007, 14:20
Mike
My vessel the Venture went over to Canada also then went to Cyprus Flag as Melville Venture. Viking became Arctic Viking and Valiant became Lady Franklin

MikeK
4th July 2007, 15:58
Mike
My vessel the Venture went over to Canada also then went to Cyprus Flag as Melville Venture. Viking became Arctic Viking and Valiant became Lady Franklin

I think I got the Venture and Viking mixed up. The Venture was my first UBC ship in '76, I relieved big Keith Archer as 2nd Mate. Him and Mick Dunn were known as the Honey Monsters ! Then off to the Jet with Stevie Wonder (aka Williamson) to look after me (!)

MikeK

gdynia
4th July 2007, 16:13
Mike
Ive kept in touch with Big Keith for years last time I saw him he was working out of Aberdeen on the Supply Boats then met him again 2 years ago in the Caspian Sea. I have not seen Mike for 15 years at least.I was 3 years on Venture with Keith. He comes up on this site evey so often as a guest.

MikeK
4th July 2007, 16:25
hi mikek
if you search the gallery under baltic osprey...ive posted a few pics of crew including budgie (Thumb)

Just checked them out and recognized the chap with budgie in the first pic, all 3 in the 3rd, the smaller bloke (stwd. ?) in the 4th and all 3 in the last (the chap on the left - Andy 'Coop the Swoop' Cooper - I believe died a good few years ago from the big 'C'
Thanks for posting them - is that the seamen's club in Leningrad on the shore photo's ? Remember the stagger out to the 'zoo bus' to get back to the ship before the bewitching hour, I saw some sights on there (including myself (==D) )

Mike

dondoncarp
4th July 2007, 17:30
yeah...was up the leningrad mission...happy days...the stwd was called ken...the bloke next to budg is bob hanson with at the time his future russian wife...ive bumped into bob and they are still together...other names evade me...sorry to here about andy...he was a good captain,do you remember cyril the c/cook/purser...nice bloke but you could tell he held the budget as you only got 6 chips for dinner...he told a good yarn though

MikeK
5th July 2007, 15:32
yeah...was up the leningrad mission...happy days...the stwd was called ken...the bloke next to budg is bob hanson with at the time his future russian wife...ive bumped into bob and they are still together...other names evade me...sorry to here about andy...he was a good captain,do you remember cyril the c/cook/purser...nice bloke but you could tell he held the budget as you only got 6 chips for dinner...he told a good yarn though

I remember everyone (except Bob of course !) reckoned she would do a runner as soon as she got into the UK, that's nice to hear they are still together. If you bump into him again please give my regards -probably won't remember me though, I was mate on the Valiant and the Osprey and the Tern running up to Leningrad and I think he was on a couple of them at least.
Shame you had to spoil things by mentioning ' Cyril the Squirrel' I used to dread him suddenly propping up the cabin door jam, fag held like Mata Hari inviting himself in to bore the pants of me ! A regular Walter Mitty he was - I don't know he packed all the adventures he had into his life ! I was with him on most of the conventionals including the two little things we had on worldwide charter where the only thing to look forward to was the grub - and Cyril soon put paid to that. Woe betide you if you asked for something that you didn't usually have cos he will have sussed out who has what and will have put exactly that amount in the pot. He finally turned up on the Eagle and I went on leave with him from Amsterdam with him still in grease stained white(ish) T-shirt and minty checks and an aroma of stale fat wafting off him. Hope he doesn't read this forum, second thoughts sod it he won't be cooking for me again !!

MikeK

Davey
5th July 2007, 23:03
While on the Baltic Exporter I joined the '66 seaman's strike after arriving at Surrey Commercial Docks.

From the stern of the Baltic Viking on the way to Helsinki after leaving Rendsburg drydock in '67, I watched our new paint job leave a trail on the ice . You wonder why they bothered to paint the waterline in winter.

Photos of the Baltic Exporter and the Baltic Viking in the Gallery.

MikeK
7th July 2007, 10:44
We were parked in the ice as near as we could get to the ice breaker rendezvous point on a glorious blue sky day and decided to paint the ship's side as it was warm to the touch from the sun, despite the minus double figures temps. We had just finished and everybody had been down taking their photos - so there was footprints on the ice everywhere, when a Russian Navy tug turned up nearby. After the people on the bridge had finished eyeballing all the tracks it backed off and disappeared over the horizon, a short while later the Ice breaker called us on the VHF and asked what we were doing. After explaining we had been painting the ship's side the ice breaker (Murmansk ?) came back with "Baltic Osprey - do you not know that it is forbidden for British seamen to walk on Russian water?" That day we were elevated up with J.C himself !!(A)

MikeK

trotterdotpom
7th July 2007, 12:33
Good one, Mike.

John T.

dondoncarp
7th July 2007, 20:08
We were parked in the ice as near as we could get to the ice breaker rendezvous point on a glorious blue sky day and decided to paint the ship's side as it was warm to the touch from the sun, despite the minus double figures temps. We had just finished and everybody had been down taking their photos - so there was footprints on the ice everywhere, when a Russian Navy tug turned up nearby. After the people on the bridge had finished eyeballing all the tracks it backed off and disappeared over the horizon, a short while later the Ice breaker called us on the VHF and asked what we were doing. After explaining we had been painting the ship's side the ice breaker (Murmansk ?) came back with "Baltic Osprey - do you not know that it is forbidden for British seamen to walk on Russian water?" That day we were elevated up with J.C himself !!(A)

MikeK

Hi Mike
I believe my brother was on her then..shaun donnelly...a xmas card was made out of the photo...he was an AB

MikeK
8th July 2007, 10:01
Hi Mike
I believe my brother was on her then..shaun donnelly...a xmas card was made out of the photo...he was an AB

Hi Don, yes I think I remember the card, was it two lads stood on the ice either side of the bow. I have a vague recollection that one of them was the steward who went by the nickname 'Jaque La Feet' because of the unfortunate problems he had with 'fruity' socks :sweat: Shauns name rings a bell but can't put a face to it. Strange it tends to be only the people you would rather forget that you can recall how they looked !
That same trip we upset the Icebreaker again homeward bound because the port control told us we had missed the convoy by a few hours, and we were to park at the fairway buoy for the next convoy. The pilot said we might catch up to the tail end if we wanted, so we picked the latter (unofficial) choice and set off. Needless to say we never made it and got stuck in the middle of nowhere and started bleating to the ice breaker on the VHF. She gave us a good ticking off and said as the ice had moved she didn't know when she would be passing our way again. In other words ' I'll leave you to stew for being a naughty boy !' after a day or two she brought a whole convoy our way and we were told to tag on the end, which we did - tail between our legs !

MikeK

notnila
18th November 2007, 00:28
A few weeks ago I saw a ship in Burntisland,as far as I remember she was"Baltic Express"registered Gibralter.Were they "Flagged out" or bought out?
I need some help here.I know the ship I saw was"Baltic" something,and I got it in my head it was "Express".After checking Miramar I now know that it couldn't have been.Would anyone have any idea she may have been?

RayJordandpo
18th November 2007, 11:52
Hi Mikek
You mentioned the name George Brown. There was an AB of that name lived in the same town as me who served with UBC for years. In fact he was on the same ship for that long I used to joke with him that he must be due the bosuns job by now but he said no he was only a "fresh larker" and you need at least ten years before you got the "blockers" job. I remember he had quite a bad accident on one of their ships, I believe he broke his pelvis whilst disconnecting a trailer or something like that. Could it be the same guy?. The last I heard of him he went to work on Hull docks as a security officer but I haven't seen him around for a couple of years now.
Ray Jordan

gdynia
18th November 2007, 12:03
Notnila

Please Find

Baltic Express Built 1957 by Ottensenser in Altona and in 1972 sold to Marastro Armadora SA, Piraeus, renamed Moska. In 1980 changed name to Seawind before broken up in Bombay 27.3.84. There is also a photo of her in Gallery on Maiden voyage

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=47843

Baltic Wal
18th November 2007, 14:16
I must have missed this thread when it was being bantered about in July. Item that caught my eye was about Charlie Kirk Church. When I joined the BALTIC SPRITE in 1964 as 3rd Mate he was Second Mate. Was at that stage courting the Finnish lass. He left the BALTIC SPRITE four months later to join a Finnish company so he could get married. Can remember the old ships they had but not the Companies name. Never realised that he returned to UBC after that. What a tragic end to a nice fellow.

BALTIC EXPRESS was the oddity of the bridge midships type as she was ordered for MacAndrews and as a result was not truely ice strengthened. Like the BALTIC SWIFT she spent a lot of time on the MacAndrews run.

I went to a UBC reunion a couple of times but have missed the last three. They are held in Aldgate in October, have no further fetails.

gdynia
18th November 2007, 14:42
Wal

Did he not join EFFOA before returning to UBC

MikeK
18th November 2007, 15:01
Hi Ray - yes that is the George Brown I mentioned. I was on the ship when he had his accident (either the Baltic Progress or Enterprise) It was in Arhus and the crowd were doing the lashings. George managed to get squashed between a mafi and the next one coming on board - you had to have eyes looking everywhere on the vehicle deck. I often wondered where all the crowd ended up as UBC slowly disappeared as such and jobs for British crews became ever rarer.
George as a security guard brings poachers and gamekeepers to mind !! Only joking

BalticWal - I didn't realize that the UBC reunion was a regular thing, since having to retire I havn't been in touch with anyone - or maybe nobody wanted to tell me and I didn't get the message !! The last time I met up with a few of the crowd was at Stevie Williamson's funeral in Hull and that must have been around 1999

Mike

Bridie
18th November 2007, 21:35
We had a change of skipper on the Baltic Star (March 1970) and I think his name was D Foss (well that's what's on my discharge).
He was a member of a religious group called Moral Rearmament (I think). Used to leave leaflets on it in the mess room and in the library case and lectured us about swearing etc. From what I remember it was anti Communism group - so don't know what he did if he was on a Russian trip!
Another EDH (Mervin/Melvin?) (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/501/BalticStarMess.jpg) and I used to call him Hector after Hector's House.
Anyone else sail with him?

Baltic Wal
19th November 2007, 08:08
I sailed with Captain Foss on the BALTIC MERCHANT in 1965, trading to Leningrad. He was a member of MRA the anti communist religous group. He was accepted by the Russians for a while but soon got taken off. He never went ashore in Leningrad so his pamflets were resticted to the dockers. At least on board they could keep an eye on him.

He was a pain when he joined you on the Bridge during the watch with all his spiel.

gdynia
19th November 2007, 08:35
We had a change of skipper on the Baltic Star (March 1970) and I think his name was D Foss (well that's what's on my discharge).
He was a member of a religious group called Moral Rearmament (I think). Used to leave leaflets on it in the mess room and in the library case and lectured us about swearing etc. From what I remember it was anti Communism group - so don't know what he did if he was on a Russian trip!
Another EDH (Mervin/Melvin?) (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/501/BalticStarMess.jpg) and I used to call him Hector after Hector's House.
Anyone else sail with him?

You must of been on the Star Birdie with Bob Whiteside and Dave Sneesby

MikeK
19th November 2007, 10:07
I sailed as mate with Dennis on the Jet after he had been kicked out of Russia for distributing religious pamphlets. He never tried to push his religious beliefs on us, but his endless enthusiasm and energy were exhausting and frustrating for the mate. In port, after I had got the stowage all sorted, a glance out on deck often revealed Dennis charging around like a bull in a china shop changing everything.!
We finally fell out when he overrode me on accepting extra deck cargo (bulldozers)in Gdynia and we flopped our way back to Hull - the GM was 'tight', shall we say ! Trying to get her upright just resulted in her flopping over the other way as she reached vertical. Coming up the Humber a few of us were watching tv when one course change made her heel over even further than usual. Some cutlery slid along the drainer in the messroom and landed with a crash in the sink, we had a lecturer from Hull doing a bit of sea-time as 3rd eng and I swear he levitated a couple of feet at the crash, so on edge were everyone. Happy Days (Jester)

Mike

PS An image has just come to mind of Dennis charging along on his fold up bike that he went to the agents on at every port

Bridie
19th November 2007, 12:41
You must of been on the Star Birdie with Bob Whiteside and Dave Sneesby
Not much good at remembering names! Maybe something to do with those years at sea. (Smoke) Were they on deck?

gdynia
19th November 2007, 12:42
Both AB,s

RayJordandpo
19th November 2007, 14:32
Hi Mike
Yes George a security officer! the mind boggles. Like putting a fox in charge of the chicken run.

cboots
20th November 2007, 00:51
I did a dry dock with Dennis the menace Foss up in the Geordielands somewhere. I regarded him as a mostly harmless nutcase but I would not like to have sailed with him. He had a host of stories that were quite obviously fantasy. My favourite was the one about the little restaurant that he owned just outside Buckingham Palace, and Princess Margaret used to come over in the morning after a hard night out and get him to make a special omelet for her. Good ole UBC could certainly attract 'em.
CBoots

MikeK
20th November 2007, 09:57
I did a dry dock with Dennis the menace Foss up in the Geordielands somewhere. I regarded him as a mostly harmless nutcase but I would not like to have sailed with him. He had a host of stories that were quite obviously fantasy. My favourite was the one about the little restaurant that he owned just outside Buckingham Palace, and Princess Margaret used to come over in the morning after a hard night out and get him to make a special omelet for her. Good ole UBC could certainly attract 'em.
CBoots

I'm sure at some stage Cyril Hurrell must have sailed with Dennis - now that is a fantasy extravaganza !! Two supreme Walter Mitties together. One of Cy's much repeated anecdotes was "I was walking down (I think it was) Baker Street when I heard this voice shouting Cy - there's only two people call me that - Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn " All told straightfaced, usually propped up against your cabin door post clasping a fag like Mata Hari. This while he worked out a clever ploy to slide in and plant his a-se on your settee for as long as possible.
I remember him coming into someones cabin clutching a carton of fags and totally wrapped up in recounting some bit of fantasy - tore the cellophane wrapper off the carton, held on to that and chucked the fags out the porthole, only realizing what he had done as the tail end of 200 fags was passing the porthole lip ! Yes indeed UBC did certainly attract them, but it stopped one getting bored !

Mike

BazB
10th December 2007, 19:02
Hi to you all,

I was on the Baltic Valiant, from December 1970 to August 71, this was on my first trip to sea.
Captain Rose was on there when I joined but then Captain Delacy? I think.
Only others I remember were Sid the cook and Mick (Carrol?) 2nd steward both from London. The bosun was Latvian, Bob?
Was a good ship and enjoyed it. Maybe some of you can come up with other names from that period.
Recall the Quicky Bar (was that it's real name?) in Kotka was a great place to go. Also remember when 5 gallons of teepol was dropped in the fountain in Kotka by Mick and others. Made a good picture in the local paper!

Barry. (Thumb)

MikeK
11th December 2007, 10:21
Hi Barry, nice to hear from another UBC man.
You joined and left just before I arrived, but the some of the names you mentioned I knew. Capt Rose moved onto the ro-ro's shortly after you sailed with him and ended up a senior Master. Capt DeLacy aka 'The Count' was there when I joined as Mate - a man right up there with Dennis Fos ! and I say no more. Except probably the winter after you left, we were up in an ice convoy to Leningrad and following behind the 'Osprey' when she (the Osprey) became fast in the ice. The master called up the ice breaker for assistance but, before it could answer, the Count butted in and told the Osprey skipper (Irish chap - Jerry ??)not to worry as we would break her out. He then gave the Valiant full welly and charged off to the rescue the idea being the usual procedure of leaving the ice channel and cutting down the side and across the bow of the Osprey, breaking her out. Unfortunately the Valiant failed to escape the ice channel and instead bounced back and went straight into the stern of the Osprey, putting in a nice big 'V' ! After backing off the vhf burst into life with a highly peed off Irish voice saying "I asked you to break me out, not bloody break me up" ! The lads on the Osprey were going to make up a bulls eye ready to hang over the back if the Valiant was behind her again.
The Count eventually retired and bought a sports shop in Hull (Which I believe got held up) and is now no longer with us.
Sorry to go on a bit !

Mike

gdynia
11th December 2007, 10:29
Barry
I sailed with Mick Carrol in late 70,s he was Cook on the Venture.

Mike
I bumped into the Rag Time Count a few years after he left UBC he was Master on a Coaster.

BazB
11th December 2007, 22:44
Mike, nice to hear from you and enjoyed the story, would have liked to have been there when he explained what happened to UBC!
Gdynia, can't really imagine Mick as cook, lasting memory of him was removing hairs from his teeth and putting them on top of messroom fridge after a run ashore.........leave it to you to work out how they got there!!

Barry.

cboots
11th December 2007, 23:52
Ah, the Count Delacy, there be another fine UBC head the ball. He was supposed to have, for which read, the Count claimed he had a good mate who was a colonel in the KGB. Truth or fantasy I could not say, but he made a good story of it.
CBoots

KIWI
12th December 2007, 00:16
During the war years two ships were on the NZ coast.From memory,far from certain, they were the Baltraffic & Baltannic.Their use was as feeder ships from smaller ports to main carrying reefer cargoe. Kiwi

MikeK
12th December 2007, 10:04
The 'Count' used to try and get his guitar ashore to the Seamens Club (aka The Zoo !) as he fancied himself (did he ever !) as a musician. He failed for ages, then one trip the guards allowed him, when there was a dance on. We left the more important duties in the bar to go upstairs and see how he was getting on - the band was sitting round looking highly peed off and the audience were totally ignoring the stage, while Michael De Lacy mumbled the words 'up a Lazy River' over and over while he twiddled the tuning knobs. Turned out that that lazy river is the only one he knew.
Barry - cannot put a face to Mick Carrol and from your (graphic) description I'm not too worried ! As for explaining the shunt to the 'Krem' surprisingly, and boringly, the office advised both masters to submit claims blaming the other party just the same as a car accident. The super evidently did question the fact that in the whole bloody Baltic to sail in two UBC ships managed to collide.
CBoots - If himself did have a KGB pal, then he was on leave or summat when we were boarded and sealed off by the KGB Border Regiment for smuggling (who, us ?) and the ship was searched top to bottom, but that's another story !! Alan Millar was bosun at the time, to add to the names
Neville - I was told about the sports shop years and years later, so maybe it was after his time 'outside' ?

Mike

Trader
12th December 2007, 19:02
Lots of UBC captains being mentioned on here lately. Did any one sail with J.C. Purdy?. I was with him on the Baltic Express around 1970.

Trader.

MikeK
12th December 2007, 19:15
Can't say I did, Trader, he wasn't another 'Balboat Character' by any chance ??
Another JC I sailed with was John Collins along with his C/E sidekick 'Doc' Halliday, both long since deceased

Mike

BazB
12th December 2007, 19:49
Mike

Were you aware Baltic Valiant made it onto a postage stamp? Admittedly it was as Lady Franklin which she was to become after UBC days, I managed to get one from Ebay a couple of years ago.
Have been unable to find out if she is still sailing or not. No info anywhere on her being scrapped.

Barry

Trader
12th December 2007, 19:53
Can't say I did, Trader, he wasn't another 'Balboat Character' by any chance ??
Another JC I sailed with was John Collins along with his C/E sidekick 'Doc' Halliday, both long since deceased

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, he was a "Balboat Character", little chap who couldn't see over the dodger(Nothing wrong with that for all you little fellows).
He was skipper when Charlie Church, the mate and Chris Wardle, the chippy were washed off the foc'sle head and died.

Trader.

gdynia
13th December 2007, 04:46
Barry
As far as I am aware the Valiant is still sailing the 7 Seas

MikeK
13th December 2007, 10:33
Hi Trader, that terrible accident happened before I joined UBC, but people were still talking of it.
Whenever the subject of 'characters' comes up I try to remember the name of the old man on the Jet. The day I joined her he was handing over to Dennis Fos and when I called in to his cabin to introduce myself he came out with a corny remark that he was sure I would do well as he 'liked the cut of my jib' a remark that has stuck in my memory, as it was more Captain Birdseye than Balboat Skipper !! It was he that lost his false teeth off the bridge while weaving his way back (bridge over the river Hull, that is) and they were rescued from a ledge by a brave - but foolhardy - constable and the story appeared in the local rag. To say he liked his sauce would be an understatement !! ("Why are we heading back to the canal, what happened to Gdynia ?" hypothetical remark on the bridge [=P] )

Mike

captainchris
13th December 2007, 19:45
Inthink I have all ready mentioned earlier, I sailed with Foss who was a bit eccentric, he used to call me "toffo" because of the surname Mackintosh, however he was always good to me and wanted me as the helmsman in the ice and the Thames.Collins was the other Captain while I was on the Baltic Trader, such a gentleman,really good Captain. Can'tremember most other names, but what a good company!!
Best regards,
Chris

A.Church
9th February 2008, 01:00
Hi redgreggie,

I am also surprised that there are not more posts on here about the "Baltic boats". They had quite a few ships sailing out of different ports years ago.

I sailed on three of them,

"Baltic Express" London to Finland in 1970
"Baltic Sprite" Manchester to Finland in 1971
"Baltic Viking" Manchester to Riga, Latvia in 1972

They were all good jobs, except for the "Express". We lived aft (AB's) and not very good accommodation. Food was good and we had a good deck crowd, Bosun, Chippy etc.. and a good run. I loved all the ports in Finland even though we were there in the winter(not very nice if you were on deck). The sad part of my time on there was when we lost the Mate and Chippy. They were washed off the foc'sle head down to the forepart of the bridge and died of their injuries. We were on the way from Finland to Methil and this incident happened halfway across the North Sea.

Yankee helicopters came out to us but it was too late for the mate who died in our arms(we were hanging on to them to keep them comfortable as the ship was rolling like a bastard, we had them in the accommodation by this time) The chippy was taken off in the helicopter but died on the way to Aberdeen hospital.

I did one more trip back to Finland and we took the mates body back in the ships hospital. He was newly married to a Finnish girl and was only in his early thirties. His name was Charlie (Kirk) Church. A lovely man, what a waste.

The Chippy/Handyman was called Chris Wardle, a Geordie from North or South Shields (I can't remember which) a married man with a few children. Another lovely man and good shipmate. His good mate, who also was on there, was Kenny Burns.

After this incident I couldn't sail in her again even though I did do one more trip, no fault of the ship, but there was something about her that I couldn't handle. I paid off in Millwall Dock, London and a week later joined the "Blenheim" (Fred Olsen line) in the same dock just before Christmas.

What a contrast, from the icy Baltic winter to cruising to the Canary Islands.

I joined the "Baltic Sprite" in Manchester in 1971. A lovely little ship, three hatches and three cranes. Good accommodation and grub. I did a few trips in her and finished up relieving the Bosun(a Pole who had been there for years, a very nice man). I didn't see eye to eye with the mate and paid off in Erith on the Thames with the rest of the deck crowd.

My last ship was the "Baltic Viking". Joined her New Years Eve 1971 and stayed there six months until June 72. On of the best ships I ever sailed on. Two hatches, Thomson derricks. A great crew right down from the "old man" to the Galley boy. Three on deck and a Bosun. Albert Kenyon from Manchester was the Bosun and the Mate was Ron Harvey, a cock bird. We all did our jobs(no room for skivers and head workers) and every one was happy from the skipper down. I only left to join the Hovercraft in Dover( which I had been on the previous season) which was full of dolly birds.

I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing as I am still in Dover after 35 years.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had some good and sad times on the "Baltic boats"

Alec.

Your kind words, Alec, inspired me to write a kind of "Charlie im memoriam" post.

He was on Baltic Importer 1963 when I first met him. Then he served in various UBC's vessels, Baltic Sprite, Baltic Trader, Baltic Vanguard, Baltic Arrow, Baltic Express...

Alec, it was such a lovely gesture that you on board had placed a British Flag on Charlie's coffin on his way home and to his final resting place. I want to thank you and everybody else on the vessel for that and all you did for him.

I'd be happy to hear if you have any other information concerning those days on board. If I recall right you departed from Kemi/Finland, a small town not far from the Artic Circle,
on that misfortuned journey. I was there to see Charlie off and I felt awfully sad to see him leave, I thought my bad feelings were affected by the darkness of northern Finland and and the long train trip home which was waiting me. Charlie tried to cheer me up promising that he would arrange so that he could come home for Christmas. He came home, but in the way Alec described. That year I lost my Christmas spirit and it was lost for good.

And Alec, I fully agree with you, he was lovely man.

All the best to you all!

Aila "The Finnish girl"

Trader
9th February 2008, 21:36
Hello Aila "The Finnish Girl",
What a surprise to hear from someone after so many years, thirty eight in fact. I don't know you but must have seen you on board the "Express" when you came down to see Charlie.
Yes, you are right, we sailed from Kemi on that fateful trip stopping off at Oulu on the way to Methil, Scotland.
It is a trip that I shall never forget. I shall send you a private message tomorrow with more information.
It was nice to hear from you even though it was a sad occasion.

Alec.

calvin
14th February 2008, 20:35
dint sail with united baltic but sailed on the longstone with a pantry boy who was on baltic jet we nicknamed him dusty fogg as he would only read j t edson books with dusty fogg as the western hero.

Colgrace
16th February 2008, 20:18
Sailed as EDH on Baltic Sun, couple of trips Hull to Gdynia, Feb 1970, too bloody cold !!!Baltic Star, London Royalbert Dock) to Leningrad Feb 1971, even colder!!!
Baltic Enterprise, Feb 1977 Hull to Finland, paid off in Purfleet - yes you guessed it !! Bloody freezing!!!
It takes a long time for some people to get the message.

Having said that I quite liked the Baltic Boats.
The Sun was engaged in the 'breakfast trade', bacon & eggs from Poland. Rumoured that if she ever sank the N.Sea would turn into a giant omelette.

ian petrie
2nd March 2008, 19:41
i was on the baltic arrow in 1964 and can remember going ashore in gydinia and gdansk and getting a good exchnge rate for your money and having a great time

MikeK
3rd March 2008, 10:14
i was on the baltic arrow in 1964 and can remember going ashore in gydinia and gdansk and getting a good exchnge rate for your money and having a great time

When you say a good exchange rate, presumably you mean the taxi driver rate and not the official one !! What was the name of that bar in Gdynia where everybody used to start the shore run off and change their money with some character there. (somewhere near a navy barracks as I remember seeing squads of guards marching round the street) Definitely a good run ashore though - that Polish vodka was rocket juice !!

Mike

gdynia
3rd March 2008, 12:54
Mike
The Vodka has changed alot since those days its quite good now. Are you talking about the Miramar

MikeK
3rd March 2008, 15:49
Hi Nev,
you could be right, although it doesn't ring a bell. Just remember it as a none- girlie, restaurant type place where this big time money changer used to hang out. The name Bristol Bar also comes to mind (but certainly NOT for money changing- well maybe in another form !) also we used to end up catching a taxi to some upmarket joint overlooking the harbour - maybe Harbour View, doh. Used to be a good floor show on and enormous jugs of vodka and grapefruit juice. Happy Days !!

Mike

trotterdotpom
3rd March 2008, 16:05
I bet they had enourmous jugs in the Bristol Bar too.

John T.

MikeK
3rd March 2008, 16:14
Oh, you NAUGHTIE man !(==D)
Mike

gdynia
4th March 2008, 04:34
Mike
The place above the harbor is called Cotton Club the Bristol closed years ago its all wine bars their these days. Miramar is still standing but derilict

trotterdotpom
4th March 2008, 06:53
Oh no, the Bristols dried up!

John T.

MikeK
4th March 2008, 09:35
Mike
The place above the harbor is called Cotton Club the Bristol closed years ago its all wine bars their these days. Miramar is still standing but derilict

Ah well, sometimes it is better to live with the memories than know how a place really is now. At least the magnificent chests on a lot of the fair maidens (?) of Gdynia/Gdansk won't have changed - or has MacDonalds etc ensured that the rest of their bodies have overtaken the bosoms as per the rest of the western world ? Getting to be a grumpy old fart methinks, bah humbug !!

Mike

BillH
12th September 2008, 18:08
Ships In Focus Publications have just issued Volume 2 of their compendium title British Shipping Fleets which contains the history and fleet of the UBC among its list of five fleets.

Some very nice photos taken in or as a result of Baltic ice.

Bill

MikeK
16th September 2008, 09:37
Thanks for the info Bill, I'll keep an eye out for it

Mike

China hand
16th September 2008, 21:18
On the Sprite in March '66, Jackie used to lob a bottle wrapped in a towel to the SAMPO or TARNO as they broke us out. We always got the towel back. We made him a special bridge chair, what a man !

MikeK
17th September 2008, 08:53
On the Sprite in March '66, Jackie used to lob a bottle wrapped in a towel to the SAMPO or TARNO as they broke us out. We always got the towel back. We made him a special bridge chair, what a man !

Indeed he was (Anyone know of him now ?) a gentleman in the true meaning of the word and also a character with his collection of talismen scattered across the wheelhouse - I remember Paddington Bear, complete with first aid kit and a vast assortment of Russian badges, stuck in the radar visor and a leather seal balancing on a ball wedged on the window sill 'keeping a lookout' ! I'm sure anyone who sailed with him will have their own little tale to tell.

Mike

paj
25th September 2008, 20:53
hi all,
joined the Baltic Swift in dover, i think it was may 1963 (memory is fading a bit). from there we went to marsielle picked up a cargo and sailed to santos, we did this trip 4 or 5 times. what a great place santos was. is there any one else out there who was on this trip.

Tinkerboy
8th November 2008, 18:33
I was on the Baltic Trader for a time, and then I went to Rensburg on the Kiel Canal on the 17th April 1959 to bring back to Hull the Baltic Jet. I think we did one trip to Helsinki and Kotka in Finland before she was gutted by fire in Alexandra Dock, Hull five weeks later. Does anyone have a photgraph of her. Please PM me

paj
26th December 2008, 21:13
does any body remember my uncle Michael Green. He sailed on several UBC ships, Baltic Importer,exporter, and the Boltrover are the ones i can remember but there may have been more. This was in the late 50s and I think he was a AB. I remember when he was in dock which was near tower bridge i plagued him to take me with him when he was working night watchman. He gave in, in the end much to the annoyance of my mother. I was only about 11 or 12 then but i am sure that is what got me interested in ships and going to sea.
paj.

stan mayes
27th December 2008, 00:31
A good friend has recently crossed the bar - Alan Young.
Alan was 3rd Mate in Baltic Merchant 22.1.1955 to 12.4.1956...
2nd Mate in Baltrover 11.9.1956 to 20.11.1956..
2nd Mate in Baltic Arrow 26.11.1956 to 26.3.1957 -
he then joined ASNC and Townsend Thoreson and served for 30 years - 18 years as Master.
Maybe somebody remembers Alan in UBC?
Stan

MikeK
27th December 2008, 12:46
Way before my time, but condolences at the loss of a friend

Mike

R58484956
27th December 2008, 13:01
Stan very sorry to hear that you have lost a good friend, they are few and far between these days. Condolences to his family.

sam2182sw
29th December 2008, 21:56
Hi lads good to see the old U.B.C.on the site can any of you remember a Captian Partridge who sailed with the company i see his daughter in the pub and she told me he was captian of the Swift and the Arrow and some others but she cannot name them he was a Hull man and passed away some time agoa at the age of 56 hope you can help sam

RoyVMartin
3rd February 2009, 12:44
Hello All,

I was with UBC from Feb 1958 till Feb 1963. The masters I remember include Jackie Jones (or Jackie Ging.) as we knew him, John Collins, Joe Purdy and Captain Gawecki on the Express. I won't start telling you tales as I could go on all night, like most of the Utter Bloody Confusion crowd all I need is a bottle of gin as fuel!

Very sad that the old firm has gone, I was in Finland and I saw their big Ro-Ro Baltic Eider? going into Helsinki for what must have been one of her last voyages.

I was going to write a history of the firm, but I heard that John Clarkson and Roy Fenton were doing so. I flicked through their book at a fair at the weekend, there was a very good photograph of the Baltic Express with ice streaming down her sides. I remember this happening to us when I was third mate on her, she got quite cranky off Bornholm and we thought that we had had it!

Does anyone have a copy of the book and if so can you tell me who took that photo and if there is a reference number, as I would like to buy a copy (of the photo, not the book as I can't run to 27 quid!).

I have about 50 photos of UBC ships, mainly bought from a collector.

The Baltic Express was ice strengthened (Ice Class 1A I think) she became the MOSKA. Incidentally the postwar names were not repeated.

Roy Martin

RoyVMartin
3rd February 2009, 14:39
Me again, before anyone picks me up on the above:-

The only name that was repeated after the war was the BALTROVER, the Polish bacon boat. Her predecessor had performed well on the North Atlantic run during WW2

Roy Martin

MikeK
3rd February 2009, 17:54
Hi Roy
You were with Utter Bloody Chaos, aka Uxbridge Borough Council, before me. I sailed with Jackie Jones (and Paddington !) and 'JC' Collins, characters both but in a different way. I left the B Eagle (and the sea) in '98 when a mild stroke put the kybosh on things and the Baltic trade was not far off finishing then. The few UBC men left are all sailing on the big 'Bay' boats that are MOD owned and manned by a conglomorate including AWSL.
A good bunch of blokes to sail with and - by and large - not a bad crowd of office wallahs too !

Mike

BillH
3rd February 2009, 19:01
Hello All,

I was with UBC from Feb 1958 till Feb 1963. The masters I remember include Jackie Jones (or Jackie Ging.) as we knew him, John Collins, Joe Purdy and Captain Gawecki on the Express. I won't start telling you tales as I could go on all night, like most of the Utter Bloody Confusion crowd all I need is a bottle of gin as fuel!

Very sad that the old firm has gone, I was in Finland and I saw their big Ro-Ro Baltic Eider? going into Helsinki for what must have been one of her last voyages.

I was going to write a history of the firm, but I heard that John Clarkson and Roy Fenton were doing so. I flicked through their book at a fair at the weekend, there was a very good photograph of the Baltic Express with ice streaming down her sides. I remember this happening to us when I was third mate on her, she got quite cranky off Bornholm and we thought that we had had it!

Does anyone have a copy of the book and if so can you tell me who took that photo and if there is a reference number, as I would like to buy a copy (of the photo, not the book as I can't run to 27 quid!).

I have about 50 photos of UBC ships, mainly bought from a collector.

The Baltic Express was ice strengthened (Ice Class 1A I think) she became the MOSKA. Incidentally the postwar names were not repeated.

Roy Martin
Roy,

Baltic Express was taken by R. Brzoza, Finland. I would suggest John Clarkson could put you in touch.

Just to clarify one point you made re the UBC Company history ; I was the author and not Clarkson & Fenton as implied. They were the editors of the compendium book of five assorted company histories. Clarkson on the photographic element and Fenton on the text and both on the set up for print.

Cheers
Bill

RoyVMartin
6th February 2009, 15:59
Hi Mike and Bill,

Thank you for your replies, they were good times! I went into the salvage industry after a year ashore (1963). Glad to know that those that are left still have jobs.

In my time Jackie wasn't into Paddington Bear, but I do remember one New Year when we were in Gdynia, and he insisted on hauling an effigy of his mother-in-law up the mast "I hang her from the highest yardarm in the Baltic Line". Another time in Kotka when the booze ran out he went alone to the other ships in the port telling them that he was the Kotka mooring master and a storm was due, so they should double up on their moorings. Predictably he was given a few tots, but eventually a Russian master chucked him down the gangway and we had to bring him back to the ship.
I didn't sail with John, but we had a couple of meals together when in port, as we both lived in Southampton.

Bill, I do apologise, I looked through the book and saw other names, but it didn't seem to show who had written what. Would have bought a copy if it was UBC alone (and a bit less than 27 quid!), but there we are.

I will get on to John Clarkson to see if he will sell me a copy of the print. Funny how memory plays tricks though, I thought I was on the Express when we iced up like that, but I was only on her in the summer time, so it must have been the Importer/Exporter - I spent quite a bit of time on both.

Cheers,

Roy

www.risdonbeazley.co.uk

MikeK
6th February 2009, 16:16
Hello Roy, It sounds like Jackie was a character long before I knew him. With Paddington his favourite trick was to get all the officials in Leningrad sat down (He referred to them as 'Imps, Pimps & Banjo Players') then put Pad (sponge version complete with rucksack, first aid kit and numerous Russian badges) in Jackies chair with a Coke in front of him. With an airey "I'll leave Paddington to look after you" he would leave the bemused comrades to it and come and have a drink with us ! Didn't take long for word to spread round Leningrad and everyone started to go along with it !
John Collins is sadly long dead, both he and his wife went within a short period of each other I believe. Did he have that bloomin budgie when you knew him ? He would come back off leave and tell me all about it's latest goings on, complete with all the actions - talk about people looking like their pets ! His great sidekick was the C/E 'Doc' Halliday another gentleman from that era. Happy Days !

Mike

RoyVMartin
9th February 2009, 11:37
Hello Mike,

Thanks for your message, I did reply on Saturday, but suspect that I must have pressed Post Reply after typing the message and lost the lot.

Regards,

Roy

sam
18th February 2009, 23:20
Hi, It was sad to read about the accidents on the Baltic Express.I think she must have been an unlucky ship.I sailed on her during May ,June,July, 1965When we left Surrey Docks ,I was the pantry boy,before we got to Finland I had changed jobs with the galley boy, his name was Ron Beale.Anyway it was mid-summers day and Ron went for a swim off the poop deck,he got into difficulties and drowned, he was only 16.He got buried in Kotka.When I came back to London I went into the "Warriors", the first pub as you came out of Surrey Docks.The barmaid and all the locals thought they were seeing a ghost because they had heard the pantry boy on the Express had drowned.They thought it was me.I think it was the Venture that had been lying aft of us ,but she left for London 3 days before us, and had brought back the bad news,because we had changed jobs ,it caused confusion.The skipper had a Polish name ,cant make it out in my discharge book.I remember the wee barmaid in the Warriors was an Irish girl ,Anngie was her name.I used to drink in the Jolly Chalker too.Happy days they were too.Regards Sam.

redgreggie
19th February 2009, 14:51
Hi, It was sad to read about the accidents on the Baltic Express.I think she must have been an unlucky ship.I sailed on her during May ,June,July, 1965When we left Surrey Docks ,I was the pantry boy,before we got to Finland I had changed jobs with the galley boy, his name was Ron Beale.Anyway it was mid-summers day and Ron went for a swim off the poop deck,he got into difficulties and drowned, he was only 16.He got buried in Kotka.When I came back to London I went into the "Warriors", the first pub as you came out of Surrey Docks.The barmaid and all the locals thought they were seeing a ghost because they had heard the pantry boy on the Express had drowned.They thought it was me.I think it was the Venture that had been lying aft of us ,but she left for London 3 days before us, and had brought back the bad news,because we had changed jobs ,it caused confusion.The skipper had a Polish name ,cant make it out in my discharge book.I remember the wee barmaid in the Warriors was an Irish girl ,Anngie was her name.I used to drink in the Jolly Chalker too.Happy days they were too.Regards Sam.

I think the name of the pub was 'the Jolly Caulkers', I use to go in there as well, when I was on the Baltic Importer, remember we had a Scottish cook on there, his wife came on board at least once, got on well with both of them, the second steward was a 'wee' Scottish bloke, really kept himself to himself.
Chief Steward was a 'teddy boy' type of guy, easy to get on with, Assistant Steward came from somewhere in the West country, Devon way I think, another guy I got on well with.

Remember sharing a cabin with a catering boy from Auchtermuckty, then a young kid who's dad was high up in Mars confectionery company.

Really enjoyed my time on her.

Ray..........in Batley.

RoyVMartin
22nd February 2009, 09:43
Hi

The master on the Baltic Express when I was on her in 1959 was Captain Gawecki (pronounced Gavenski, I think). He was married to a French lady.

I always thought that the Express was the best of that generation of Baltic boats.

Regards,

Roy

Baltic Wal
22nd February 2009, 19:38
Hi

I always thought that the Express was the best of that generation of Baltic boats.

Regards,

Roy

Express was different from the others of similar design. I think she was initialy designed for MacAndrews.

philster
26th February 2009, 21:44
hi, my name is phil watkinson and i sailed with ubc from 1980 -1988, osprey 3 months ,enterprise 2 yrs,progress 6years.i remember mike k,geordie ithink.kev maunder,mick moore,dave trainer,freaky dave also infamous cyril squirellthe chef.ubc answer to the gastrick band! i was on board when george brown had his accident .paid him off in copenhagen or
arhuss denmark.also remember 2nd or 3rd mate fallin through the ice and drowning in kotka ithink. hisname was gerry.couple of good cooks i worked with danny morgan ,great guy. walter davey from hull and richard from hull ginger guy.memories fading now but had alot of laughs on those ships. regards to anyone who remembers me . phil

dondoncarp
26th February 2009, 22:50
Hiya phil,i remember danny and cyril,both on the osprey in the mid 80s...also a geordie chef called bob

MikeK
27th February 2009, 09:36
Hi Phil, you've just stirred the old grey stuff with the names you mentioned !! You guessed right about me being Geordie (but now living 'darn sarf' ) I think I was second mate when George got himself squashed in Arhus, I remember there was another accident before or after George's and joking that the ambulnce was parked around the side of the shed with its engine running !
Forgive my memory not doing its job but I'm struggling to put a face to your name. I'm getting the picture of a tallish fair haired second steward ?? Sounds a bit "hello sailor !"" but not meant that way. I'll shut up before I dig myself even deeper. (Jester)
Geordie Bob the cook was Bob Buchanan by the way

Mike

dondoncarp
27th February 2009, 11:00
thanks mike..couldn`t think of bobs name

philster
27th February 2009, 23:02
mike you got agood memory,you only left good lookin out of the description! iwas second steward then 2nd cook for afew years on the progress.think i sailed on osprey with you maybe xmas? i remember phil the chief steward ron kraemer ron the lecky etc. think i recall jackie jones. thin kthe skipper on the osprey had an italian name ,wasnt alot of grub knocking about on that little tub eiter but not a bad trip almost underwater up to leningrad. spent my shore leave in the brigantine bar . happy days we used to count the days down till docking day every trip , but i wouldnt mind doing a couple of trips now to refresh my memories. good to hear from you guys ....regards phil.

MikeK
28th February 2009, 09:58
Hi Phil. That's reassuring to know the grey cells haven't totally solidified, I would have added the good looking bit as well but it would look like an internet chat up line! Just to stick my neck out a bit farther, were/are you from Essex way or one of the Home Counties ?

Now you have given me another mystery to bug the memory - the Italian name of the Old Man on the Osprey. (Gerry ??) I can remember that he was a Scouser (ex Mac's) and around the winter you mentioned he paid off with a blood clot in his brain. I reckoned it was the gut wrenching coughing through hundreds of fags smoked on the bridge during the ice convoys to Leningrad.
Sadly you would have a hard job if you were daft enough to sign on again as I don't think there is a UBC ship in the Baltic now, all the roro's are long gone and I think the Tern hung on a while on the Gdynia run but I'm pretty sure she has gone as well.

Just have to rely on the memories then eh ? Fortunately it was such a nice little tight knit bunch of people that there are plenty of them. Said he choking back a muffled sob - yeah right !!

Regards

Mike

MikeK
1st March 2009, 09:59
Thank god for that ! Just putting the head on the pillow last night and it came in a flash - the memory that is !! - The captain with the Italian name was Frank Marino. I think that after the blood vessel was tied off in the brain, he didn't come back to sea. I saw him last when we went to get the Progress or Enterprise out of lay up in Birkenhead Dock and he visited the ship. I think he got involved in supporting a hospice in Liverpool.
Well thats the brain back in neutral - until someone else mentions a name !

Mike

philster
1st March 2009, 16:10
Thats him! Frank Marino,you are right ,he did like a cig. I,ve remembered afew other crew names.alex something,,,,he was Zaks pal.Also bob moffat,big Jim Howard, Sid Jenner,Joe Meggett,also a bosun from Hull with a droopy western style moustache cant recall his name, Les Hall , Joe the pole????. Stewards Gerry Martin and Brian Hogg do you remember any of them? You are right, i still live in Basildon Essex,still married to same lady and 1 grandaughter. Also i will be 50 next month,,,say no more exept where does the time go? phil

MikeK
2nd March 2009, 10:29
'Morning Phil and thanks for giving me more names to conjure with !!
You think you have problems with approaching senility - 50 ? pah !! I'm hoping 70 is the new 50 as I was 68 last Thursday and going full pelt for the line !! Anyway, in case I forget - Happy Birthday for next month (Jester) Oh, also in the name of one upmanship, we now have a great grandson ! Makes you feel even bloody older if anything!

As for the names you mention, I remember all of them well - some of them too well, but we won't go into that !!

I think Zak's pal was Alex Smith who settled down in Finland (but I believe ended up back in th UK) The Zapata lookalike bosun I can picture but no name - yet ! I guess the Joe you mention was the cook who who had been in a concentration camp (Belsen ?) and still had his identification number tatooed on his wrist, can't remember his surname either. I don't know if you knew that Brian Hog (I used to call him Bamber after the University Challenge chap, much to his annoyance !) Anyway I won't go into details but he ended up doing time after marital problems - just think of the most common cause of marriage breakdown with seafarers, yes that's the one ! - shame really as he was a nice bloke and always struck me as easy going .
I don't know if you ever sailed with Steve Williamson (2nd Mate) aka Stevey Wonder, I think just about everyone did. Well he died of the big C a few years ago now. I had sailed with him off and on since we were barely out of our teens. I reckon it was that bloomin pipe he was always puffing.
If I have any more inspirations I'll let you know. On that happy note I'll shut up !

regards

Mike

philster
2nd March 2009, 21:36
Good evening Mike, nice to hear of your,e growing family.By the time the youngster comes of age I dont suppose there will any british ships left.I did sail with Steve on several occasions . His name was mentioned in previous threads but it was,nt till you mentioned the pipe that I could picture him. He was proper old school type . I remember him as serios looking but very affable and calm ,a nce chap as i recall . Was he a yorkshireman? Sad to hear of his passing.On anther note, I ofte n visit another MN site(looking for old freinds) but have only ever communicated with 1 other shipmate , a deck boy from 1975 we were 1,st trippers on a Panocean tanker.I got lots of vague memories in my head and nobody to put the peices together for me.couple of guys at work were at sea but only short timers but we have a bit of banter now and then! I was shocked to hear about brian hogg i new him for along time. p s, think the moustachiod bosun may have been called Tony but not sure. Any how thanks for the info, cheers phil

MikeK
3rd March 2009, 09:36
Hi Phil, yes Steve was from outside Hull, a village called Thorngumbald. You say he was of the old school, well when I first sailed with him in 1962 on a Sunderland tramp (Thistle Line) he must only have been 19 or so and even then he had the high waisted trousers with the worn brown belt wrapped round six inches down ! I think he already owned a pair of Hully Gully slippers by then as well. I heard that when he and his family did a trip on the Goya everyone collapsed with laughter when they turned up for a meal in line astern and in order of height, all with identical Hully Gully slippers on !
If you think up any more questions about the time in Utter Bloody Chaos just drop a line. If I don't know - there are a few of us from that era on this forum, who no doubt are reading this post and might be able to help

regards

Mike

ps I think you are right about the moustached bosun's name and I seem to remember he lived in Cottingham - home to the 'Cottingham Mafia' but that's a whole different story !

dondoncarp
3rd March 2009, 19:44
Hi all..just uploaded the 1st part of a video i took on the baltic osprey 86-87,there is more to follow over the next month or so with footage of some crew including bob buchanan...cyril as well i think among others
regards
martin

MikeK
3rd March 2009, 21:43
Hi Martin, thanks for the video it certainly brought back memories. The first part in the Kiel was only missing a German voice in the backgound saying "How about a nice cup of your English tea, Mr Mate " Nice shot of the Finnjet passing in her original colour scheme as well, all the more sad when you see the pictures of her up on the beach in India elsewhere on here. As for the ice, that conjures up hour after boring hour of keeping a half mile off the back end of the ship ahead in the convoy (and Frank Marino coughing his heart out! or Tab Hunter dossing down on his little camp bed in the radio room ) Was the blond lad on the poop the motorman ? from Hull maybe ?? Who was the other fine upstanding bloke with him, not yourself I presume ?. Whoever it was I sailed with him as well.
Looking forward to part two !

Mike

dondoncarp
3rd March 2009, 22:05
Hiya mike
was me i`m afraid....and he was the motorman..think he may have been called ken,he used to have the engine room painted and gleaming through the winter,then hammer the sunbathing in the summer.
Just uploaded part 2

MikeK
4th March 2009, 17:17
Hiya Martin, just watched part 2 and 3, great stuff thanks. That shot of the Krasin coming down either side to break her out was brilliant. I wondered why I never got any shots like that then remembered that I was either on the bridge playing on the one man band gear, or turned in - those 6 on 6 off were cr-p ! How did you get the part time job so you could wander around doing the movie maker ? (only joking !) The two on the bridge were Dave Cripps (O/M) and Mike Smith the Harry Tate. Like the crack about covering the missiles as she came into Leningrad Harbour, come to think of it you were lucky that the KGB Border guards didn't bog you using a camera through their binocs and confiscate it. Dave Cripps gives me a ring now and then, he has left UBC and works at Southampton loading those new super duper roro's UBC mans for the MOD. You saying about the motorman (It was Ken) then seeing that shot of the E/R put it all in place, he used to keep that place like a palace. They used to say that if you had confidence in what you were standing on then you could take on most things. That was the case with the Osprey, whether it be thumping through ice or being chucked around in double figure winds that engine used to tick away like the proverbial sewing machine, unlike the her replacement (Tern) that lump took a few years off my life !
Before I forget, how did you manage to get the handycam footage to computer ? I just checked my old Sony and it has no sockets except the double one for the telly and I don't think that is compatible to firewire sockets or usb.

regards (Thumb)

Mike

dondoncarp
4th March 2009, 17:59
Hi mike
Glad you liked the clips...ile be doing the last part soon which invloves some ive mentioned and budgie the bos....tim masters his relief etc.
Might be a couple of weeks til i post it,its mostly accomadation shots and galley...ile have to set it to music as (unusual for a bunch of seaman)theres a lot of swearing in it.
I took the shots on a hitachi video camera which took full size vhs tapes.
Recently i hooked up a video player to a recordable dvd player via scart leads.
putting it on disc.
Remember to give dave my regards when you see him

MikeK
4th March 2009, 18:42
Glad to hear there is more, I'll turn the sound down so I don't get offended ! Thanks for telling me how you got it all to computer. I suppose if I record my stuff to a vhs cassette then find someone with a recordable dvd I can achieve the same thing. For the life of me I can't remember what's on them but no doubt ice will play some part as well ! If there is anything of interest the next challenge would be uploading to here but first things first. Will certainly pass on your best wishes to Dave next time he opens a bottle or two of wine and decides to look up old shipmates !

regards (Thumb)

Mike

philster
4th March 2009, 22:10
Mike ,I,m still chuckling over the description of Steve W you gave. There was only 1 guy in the Baltic that could wear a belt like you describe!!I would like to know who the old man on the goya was whe n the williams family walked into the saloon for dinner. I got visions of capt Hunter or Gerry Brazendale opened mouth ha ha ! Sounds like you were quite good mates with Steve were you?, he was a likeable guy. Mike, what was your last ship and how long ago ? Did you retire while still at sea? I had been alittle restless for awhile as i had ayoung son who I missed while at sea ,so when a driving job was offered itook it and made the phone call to U BC,.I t wasnt much of ajob back then but it was a leg up to getting ashore . MY next career move is winning the lottery! cheers Phil

philster
4th March 2009, 22:22
HI martin, just veiwed the clips of Baltic Osprey. Crikey nearly opened a can of Tenents and took a tray of tea and sandwiches up to the bridge for the pilot! Seriously , they took me back 27 years and I really enjoyed watching them.Looking forward to the next ones you mention starring Cyril Hurrell &Bob Buchanen. I particularly liked the Keil Canal shots, nice and clear too. cheers Phil.

dondoncarp
4th March 2009, 22:37
Hi phil
Sorry cyril was not in the shots,i`m just uploading part 4...the final part...its mostly the crew...ive had to put music over the soundtrack because of the swearing...i`m busy for the next couple of weeks but ile burn the originals to disc for you and mike...its more authentic..
regards
martin

MikeK
4th March 2009, 22:56
Hiya Phil, sorry you will have to join the queue for the lottery, had my name down for years ! Yes me and Steve were good friends, we sailed together in '62 and got up to all sorts of mischief, especially in Japan ! When I joined UBC in '77 and was joining my 2nd ship, the Jet, I was told Stevey Wonder was there and would look after me. Imagine the surprise when the unmistakable figure in busmans' trousers and frayed brown belt came out on deck ! My last ship was the Eagle and shortly after coming on leave in '98 I felt a bit weird, to cut a long story short I was told that I had had a mild stroke and after 3months sick leave the pool doctor put me on the beach. Since then I have managed on the pension and resisted the urge to find work. I was always cut out to have the mind in neutral and digit firmly up where the sun don't shine ! Good on you managing to swallow the anchor, I never managed it, going on the state of the Merch now you did the right thing. We now live down near Fareham to be near various offspring and enjoy the extra 2 or 3 degrees of warmth compared to Tyneside.
regards

Mike

PS Martin, on second thoughts I think the Mate in the video was John Gunson, I saw the name on a tombstone on the One Show tonight and had a brainwave ! It was another John Gunson I hasten to add !

dondoncarp
5th March 2009, 00:31
Part 4 uploaded...this will jog a few brain cells...even union rep for tilbury Dai davies...like to know if any of these people are still around...looking at it, it seams like yesterday
enjoy
regards
martin

MikeK
5th March 2009, 10:24
Part 4 uploaded...this will jog a few brain cells...even union rep for tilbury Dai davies...like to know if any of these people are still around...looking at it, it seams like yesterday
enjoy
regards
martin

Just watched the final part, great (then sad) to see familiar faces from the past. I presume the union rep was the chubby faced bloke in Bob's cabin, he looked familiar. Whenever I saw him my first reaction was 'bugger now what's wrong' ! Laughed at Tim (I won't finish his nickname on here !) carefully writing on the ruler what I guess was the overtime, at least he didn't have his tongue stuck out.
Pity we didn't get to hear the warts and all sound track, I bet that's because the swearing was mainly aimed at the so and so pointing that bloody camera at them and that's why you wiped it !!
Like the little snippet of the British Rail ferry high and dry at the end

For my part, Martin, thanks for your time and effort putting the videos on the site

regards

Mike

DANHG2
5th March 2009, 16:56
hi all, was on 3 Baltic ships ,Sun, Trader. Jet .i was on the Hull pool as EDH,remember the sun,the skipper was a Kiwi i think,had a monkey that used to to jobbies every where,his steward was not a happy chappie!only did one round trip to Gadinya,bought one of the gangway guards hat,most of the ABS paid off,skipper was a bit awkward,on the Trader we had a football team,i got got lumbered as right half,we played against a Polish ship got thrashed,
it was cans of beer not oranges at half time,

MikeK
6th March 2009, 08:59
Hi Dan, sounds from the ships that you were before my time. If I had sailed with a Kiwi Old Man with a crapping monkey I think it would have stuck in the memory ! (and on the bottom of my shoe as well !) Tell me one game involving a ship's crowd that didn't have the golden nectar at half time or anytime else - oranges ? pah !

regards

Mike

ian keyl
6th March 2009, 10:32
Good morning gents of the Untide Baltic line,

I never sailed with the UBC but I knew two brothers from Teesside who did ,they were the Simpson lads i cannot rember thier first names when I knew them in early sixties one was second mate and other i think was master .One of them may have lived down south ? question is do any of you know them and possible where abouts.

Many thanks.

Ian.

MikeK
6th March 2009, 13:57
Sorry Ian, names don't ring a bell with me. Hope someone else can be of help

Mike

philster
7th March 2009, 22:09
H I UBC blokes and anyone else not watching "Ant and Dec,s takeaway" I just watched Baltic Osprey part 4.Jesus H ! Bob the chef aint changed a bit , just how Iremembered him . Even got a can of the old regulation Tenents in his grasp! Only joking Bob!I had forgotten the layout of the galley messroom etc also how small the cabins were. My wife came aboard mid trip in Tilbury and she felt quite shut in . Not surprising after coming on some of my other ships.Ialso spotted Tim getting in on the action. Srangely enough I think she was the only ship that Inever took any photos on.Anyway .thanks Martin for posting the clips they were pukka! The soundtrack was to my liking as well. Cheers Phil

dondoncarp
10th March 2009, 00:25
Glad you enjoyed them phil....just wish i had had a video camera on all my trips...as you say the layouts etc a(Thumb) ll gets a bit vague

StorkWerkspoor
12th March 2009, 12:03
Hello. My name is Clive and this is my first post. If anyone remembers me, I was an engineer with UBC for over 25 years and was mainly ensconced on or about the Baltic Enterprise from '73. I will upload some photos I have of the Enterprise and other UBC ships later on and wonder if anyone remembers either the antics, or the copious quantities of lube-oil and alcohol that were consumed by that ship and her crew respectively.

MikeK
12th March 2009, 15:04
Hi Clive and welcome. 25 years you say ? you must belong to that exclusive cufflink club, did you get the free nosh at the Krem as well ?
I sailed on both the Enterprise and Progress and I seem to remember that there was a bit of rivalry as to which was the best party ship, if memory serves me right the Enterprise had the best bar. As for the copiuos amounts of fluids consumed and antics got up to - I'm sure I don't know what you mean [=P] Do you mean something like the time Ronny Paramour flaked out and we got some tubing and bandaid tape and a bottle of Grolsch and when he came to he found himself on an intervenous Grolsch drip !
Looking forward to the pics

Mike

StorkWerkspoor
17th March 2009, 16:47
Yes, Ronnie Paramour! A very well-to-do respectable passenger told me that she had never laughed so much in her life. He was getting all the others in the bar to pull their trousers down and yanking them along the alleyways by their belts.

Paul S
18th March 2009, 16:38
Hi to all you baltic guys, My name is Paul Sneesby, my father Dave Sneesby worked for staggies then U.B.C in the early 70s he started out as a cadet but somehow managed to become an AB. He sailed on the Star,Vanguard,Progress and the Enterprise. I have been putting together a scrap book for him with photos of ships and crew, i have some photos of ships but none of any crews, would anyone be able to help me out. Thanks for reading this.
all the best Paul

poverf
7th July 2009, 01:17
Hi sailed on the baltic jet in 1969 as Galley boy bloody hard work.
The cook was called Walt i think,can picture him.He lived off spring bank in hull would love to know what happened to him.He used to drink pint mugs of tea.

MikeK
8th July 2009, 15:30
The cook was called Walt i think,can picture him.He lived off spring bank in hull would love to know what happened to him.He used to drink pint mugs of tea.

Hi, sorry nobody came back to you - must all be away !
I also sailed on the Jet, a while later than you, as Mate. Was the second Mate called Stevie 'Wonder' Williamson by any chance ? If I remember right the Cook was Walt Storey but I couldn't say what happened to him along with all the many other Hulley Gullies that sailed with UBC. There was also another cook around that time that had been in the concentration camps and had the tatoo on his wrist, I think he went under the nickname of Polish Joe.

Regards

Mike

redgreggie
9th July 2009, 21:34

Hi there, I was galley boy on the Jet, sometime before you, around 1965 I think, the cook when I was there was Bob from Hull, loved it on there, stayed for about 6 months.

Always tried to get the job in the Galley in preference to the pantry, the Jet was one of the best galley boy jobs I had.

Ray...........in Batley.

poverf
17th July 2009, 00:22
Hi i sailed on the baltic jet in october 1969 as Galley boy,It was my first ship after discharge from Gravesend.
The Cook was a man from Hull,I think they called him Walt (may be wrong).
I remeber he used to drink pints of tea and wore cloggs.
The stairs to the fridges were deadly when the ship rolled.
I used to have to peel a sack of spuds a day and it took me for ever.
Have loads of memories of that ship and i have photos.

guinnessmick
20th July 2009, 14:02
hi i was on the baltic star twice once from 7/12/61 to 28/2/62 as c/boy the second time 14/4/65 to 17/6/65 as 2nd cook but i got injured playing soccer and had to pay off
i also did a couple of trips on the baltrover as relief 2nd cook in 64

Alan McCarty
26th July 2009, 13:20
I worked for UBC from about 1967 to 1970 on the Importer,Merchant,Trader and Express.UBC was the one and only British company I worked for after passing my 2nd and 1st Mates tickets then went on NZ and Australian Ships
and now on the US coast will retire next year.
I remember Capts De Lacey.Reed,Crowther and Puerdy used to have a good time in Leningrad at the Interclub and Hotel Europa.Also remember the 2nd steward nicknamed the Baron always wheeling and dealing and a second mate called Cunningham came from Hull
Have good memories of Poland and Finland

madbob
17th August 2009, 07:03
Did some 'fill in' time with UBC in the late 60's and sailed in 'Exporter' and 'Arrow'. Interesting times - after joining Exporter in Hull in January and heading into the usual N.Sea welcome (Force7) bound Keil I went into dinner and was asked 'Ham or Corned Beef 2nd Mate ? ' I observed that it might be considered too cold for salad which elicited the response 'No,sandwiches - the cook's on the P--s again' !!! Good little ships on an interesting run. After having spent time in E.Canada in the winter and seen the Baltic at its worst I am of the opinion that Ice should be confined to drinks.
Fond memories of the pubs on Hessle Road, especially with those left ashore when the trawlers were at sea !!

MikeK
17th August 2009, 09:40
I went into dinner and was asked 'Ham or Corned Beef 2nd Mate ? ' I observed that it might be considered too cold for salad which elicited the response 'No,sandwiches - the cook's on the P--s again' !!! Good little ships on an interesting run.

Love it Bob ! That summed up the old 'Bolboat' characters to a tee. Similar thing was one of the Masters wandering onto the bridge and asking the mate when they were getting to Gdynia, to be told we've been there, now we're on the way to the Kiel Canal !

Mike

dontaylor1
15th October 2009, 14:28
i spent about 4 happy months on the baltic swift , nearly all hullie gullies on her but great bunch of guys, i was called a bit of a jonna on her as when i joined she had been running hull to gdynia [ what a run ashore that was i loved it] then it was gdynia ipswich never saw hull again till paying off for christmas. in ipswich we would stock up with chewing gum and ladies tights went down a treat with the girls ashore. names that i remember are captains...kemp....reed stewards tony grundy and i think tony convy? ab alfie die....lovely old guy....bosun was pete edwards......think he went to the enterprise,,,,,good ship all round.
don

MikeK
15th October 2009, 15:15
i spent about 4 happy months on the baltic swift , nearly all hullie gullies on her but great bunch of guys, i was called a bit of a jonna on her as when i joined she had been running hull to gdynia [ what a run ashore that was i loved it] then it was gdynia ipswich never saw hull again till paying off for christmas. in ipswich we would stock up with chewing gum and ladies tights went down a treat with the girls ashore. names that i remember are captains...kemp....reed stewards tony grundy and i think tony convy? ab alfie die....lovely old guy....bosun was pete edwards......think he went to the enterprise,,,,,good ship all round.
don
Hi Don, never was on the Swift myself but a couple of the names you mentioned I sailed with, especially Pete Edwards, of the Pancho Villa moustache ! That was indeed on the Enterprise.
Gdynia was a good run ashore wasn't it ? Except when the cussies decided to search you at the gate for illegal slotties (?) on the way back to the ship - with a vodka or two under the belt !!
Regards

Mike

dontaylor1
15th October 2009, 23:31
Hi Don, never was on the Swift myself but a couple of the names you mentioned I sailed with, especially Pete Edwards, of the Pancho Villa moustache ! That was indeed on the Enterprise.
Gdynia was a good run ashore wasn't it ? Except when the cussies decided to search you at the gate for illegal slotties (?) on the way back to the ship - with a vodka or two under the belt !!
Regards

Mike

hi mike
yes gdynia was great ,but what a performance just getting ashore
discharge book -the pass they gave you ,guards on gangway and didnt you go through some little shed at the gate. once gave my book to a mate yo save ,went off to a girls flat and ended up early hours at the gate minus my book, im pretty sure they went and got capt reed out of his bed. wasnt in his good books for sometime. but how id do those trips all over again.
don

MikeK
16th October 2009, 09:06
hi mike
yes gdynia was great ,but what a performance just getting ashore
discharge book -the pass they gave you ,guards on gangway and didnt you go through some little shed at the gate. once gave my book to a mate yo save ,went off to a girls flat and ended up early hours at the gate minus my book, im pretty sure they went and got capt reed out of his bed. wasnt in his good books for sometime. but how id do those trips all over again.
don

Yes that was a charming little hidey hole at the gate ! I have a picture of a permanently dimly lit place with someone always dossed down on a camp bed at the back. To be fair if you put yourself in their place who likes to see a drunk/drunks who have obviously had a great time bouncing around the place, when you are cold stone sober and halfway through the grave - yard watch. Plus, sometimes, the temperature outside is minus something silly !
Steady on ! Was that me feeling sympathy for a Cussy man - wash your mouth out Michael !!

Mike

ALLAN WILD
21st October 2009, 11:43
Yes that was a charming little hidey hole at the gate ! I have a picture of a permanently dimly lit place with someone always dossed down on a camp bed at the back. To be fair if you put yourself in their place who likes to see a drunk/drunks who have obviously had a great time bouncing around the place, when you are cold stone sober and halfway through the grave - yard watch. Plus, sometimes, the temperature outside is minus something silly !
Steady on ! Was that me feeling sympathy for a Cussy man - wash your mouth out Michael !!

Mike
I Was on the Swift and Arrow in the 60s, Pete Edwards the buson, remember hiding slotties under a brick on a bomb site on the way back to the ship, they were always there when we came back next trip 10 days later.

MikeK
22nd October 2009, 10:11
If the taxi driver didn't 'do the business' with the black market exchange rate, we used to head for a cafe somewhere near a navy building, where some spiv held court doing currency exchange.
I only knew it was near the navy when we once were forced to step off the pavement when a bunch of sailors doing that strange communist slo-mo goose step came along doing a ceremonial changing of the guard.
The married blokes used to make for a shop that sold pure linen table cloths and tea towels with a shopping list from swsbo. We still have unused tea towels to this day and that must be getting on thirty years later !!
Great Days !!(Thumb)

Mike

ALLAN WILD
22nd October 2009, 10:38
If the taxi driver didn't 'do the business' with the black market exchange rate, we used to head for a cafe somewhere near a navy building, where some spiv held court doing currency exchange.
I only knew it was near the navy when we once were forced to step off the pavement when a bunch of sailors doing that strange communist slo-mo goose step came along doing a ceremonial changing of the guard.
The married blokes used to make for a shop that sold pure linen table cloths and tea towels with a shopping list from swsbo. We still have unused tea towels to this day and that must be getting on thirty years later !!
Great Days !!(Thumb)

Mike
If I remember right, we used to load Swede shoes in one hold and Bacon in the other, one trip it would be left foot shoes and the next trip right foot shoes, but it made no difference, we were still the best kitted out seaman in the foot department,with enough bacon to feed the hole of Albert Dock, and enough shoes to keep Imelda Marcos happy.

paul rennison
24th October 2009, 11:45
Good thread this, I was A/S on The Venture for a couple of trips in early '66 great sight watching the icebreaker smash through the leads to take the convoy up to Helsinki, Pilot coming out to us on ski's!. Fantastic time in Helsinki went to see Spencer Davis group there, highlight was at Hamina, dance at local hall, unfortunately fell out with the old man Hunter? (I think I blotted my copybook with his girlfriends niece) only ship I was never invited to sign back on.

Joined the old Baltrover after that, now she was a great ship & crew, Old man was McDonald?, really liked his pop, when we hit the bullnose going in to the locks at Albert dock one trip everyone thought he was trying to get straight to Whittington & Cat before closing!, (the pub is still open by the way, great meals served there now) Other characters, Alf Grindley cook, Laurie Laverack steward, Harry Pullen, Billy Hookem, ? Chapman A/B's Terry Turner, Asfar Khan, Greasers. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife of 41yrs!!) lived in Eton St on Hessle rd, 10 mins walk from the ship in Albert dock
I would go to her house every afternoon after lunch with a good sample of polish breakfast goods, wearing a brand new pair of suede desert boots, come back for dinner time wearing and old pair of sannies, & off again at night with new boots again!.

Any lads still out there remember her ??
will post again on this one
(Thumb)
Rennop

redgreggie
24th October 2009, 17:58
not really anything to do with any of the Baltic boats, connected yes, it's when I was on the Importer sailing out of Surrey Commercial Docks, we now and again went up to the city via the tube, either that or to the Jolly Caulkers.

Well, just the other week I was watching a programme on the tele, it was that lovely Sarah Beeney, about couples renovating properties.

This couple had bought a place in Rotherhithe and Sarah was pointing out what a job they would have on their hands doing anything with this place, then the camera panned the area and it gave a shot of this bricked up entrance way, as I saw it I thought that it just looked like the entrance to the tube station, a few seconds later Sarah commented that it was in fact just that.

Was I amazed, it's got to be 40+ years since I was down there, have to say I was astounded that I did recognise the old place.
Just goes to show what a remarkable thing the old memory is, things that get stored away and can be brought back, just needs something to stir the old grey matter.

Ray.................in Batley.

Shaky Mick
24th October 2009, 20:23
Hi all.Was 3 threeyrs in Baltic Valiant in the 70s.Also in Express ,Vanguard,Merchant,Venture and the sun.I remember Cap, Johnny Rose 'GOD" well.So many good memories of the ships,the crews as well as the ice.Mick Carroll

BazB
31st October 2009, 12:21
Hi Mick

Welcome to the site and good to hear you are still around. Last time I saw you was August 1971 (38 years ago!) when I paid off after an 8 month first trip to sea as galley boy.
Already gave you, and a couple of your exploits, a mention on here. Take a look at page 3 of this thread.

Regards, Barry.

michaelF
31st October 2009, 15:17
Hi all.Was 3 threeyrs in Baltic Valiant in the 70s.Also in Express ,Vanguard,Merchant,Venture and the sun.I remember Cap, Johnny Rose 'GOD" well.So many good memories of the ships,the crews as well as the ice.Mick Carroll

Hi Mick ,
you don't mention the Sprite , but i sailed on her and the Venture in 73 . The cook there was called Mick , and you surname sounds familiar , your not from Hull are you ?

mike

MikeK
1st November 2009, 09:49
Mick/Mike(s) must have been attracted to UBC ! That's three of us just now and offhand there was Mick Thompson Ch.Stwd (and secret 'steam queen'), Mick Taylor 2/E and more just hanging on the edge of my memory.
Good name, good people, good ships aw I'm welling up (Night)

Mike

michaelF
1st November 2009, 11:08
Mick/Mike(s) must have been attracted to UBC ! That's three of us just now and offhand there was Mick Thompson Ch.Stwd (and secret 'steam queen'), Mick Taylor 2/E and more just hanging on the edge of my memory.
Good name, good people, good ships aw I'm welling up (Night)

Mike

Mike ,
The name Mick Thompson sounds even more familiar , there was also a mike shann who sailed with me on the sprite . SQ really , if him tried to put the boots on my bird .

mike

Shaky Mick
1st November 2009, 14:33
Hi all,
Well it is good to know that some of us Kotka cowboys are still around.Baz I cant put a face to your name,sorry.I have read the previous postings,hmmm!Mike I was never in the Sprite and it was the late 70s I was in the Venture,anyone remember our near death experience and subsequent towing into Stavanger?Mick Thompson I remember well,mad as a march hare.Many of the names mentioned I remember as well,most with fond memories.Most of us were young and had the best of times in some of the best of ships.Aw gee,sob sob.
Regards Mick

MikeK
1st November 2009, 19:08
Steady on you lot - any more tears and my monitor will short out (==D) Just thought of another Mick who was a fellow steam queen, Mick Dunn.
Him and Mick Thompson and big Keith Archer (aka Honey Monster !) used to go round the country buying up bits of trains and station signs. One of them lived next to the railway line into Hull and every time this bloody great big deisel engine came past (Deltic ??) They would drop everything and run to the level; crossing to watch !
Happy days !

Mike

michaelF
1st November 2009, 20:25
Steady on you lot - any more tears and my monitor will short out (==D) Just thought of another Mick who was a fellow steam queen, Mick Dunn.
Him and Mick Thompson and big Keith Archer (aka Honey Monster !) used to go round the country buying up bits of trains and station signs. One of them lived next to the railway line into Hull and every time this bloody great big deisel engine came past (Deltic ??) They would drop everything and run to the level; crossing to watch !
Happy days !

Mike

knew kieth archer also from BUE days , have i misunderstood the meaning of steam queen ?

mike

MikeK
2nd November 2009, 08:33
knew kieth archer also from BUE days , have i misunderstood the meaning of steam queen ?

mike

I relieved Keith on the Venture when I first joined UBC at Purfleet. He went on leave and when he came back, I moved to the Jet where I was reunited with a pal from the 60's - Steve Williamson (Stevie Wonder) a figure I always remember as dressed in his busmans' trousers with a well worn leather belt holding them up (no loops !) A khaki shirt and the always present pipe completed the picture, oh yes, and the Hully Gully Slippers !. Unfortunately it was the pipe that did for him with the big 'C'. I think if you totted the times up I would have spent more time sailing with Stevie than at home with my wife. A good shipmate that should have been enjoying his retirement now.
More tears for the monitor !(Sad)
regards

Mike

PS the 'Steam Queens' was the name that trio acquired because of their passion for trains. Mike Dunn actually passed his fireman's footplate exam, or whatever. Nothing to do with the other groups of queens one met from time to time (Hippy)

ALLAN WILD
2nd November 2009, 20:41
Hi Mikek
You mentioned the name George Brown. There was an AB of that name lived in the same town as me who served with UBC for years. In fact he was on the same ship for that long I used to joke with him that he must be due the bosuns job by now but he said no he was only a "fresh larker" and you need at least ten years before you got the "blockers" job. I remember he had quite a bad accident on one of their ships, I believe he broke his pelvis whilst disconnecting a trailer or something like that. Could it be the same guy?. The last I heard of him he went to work on Hull docks as a security officer but I haven't seen him around for a couple of years now.
Ray Jordan
Hi Ray
Did you know George Brown started his life at sea as a fireman in Shell Tankers? He did his first trip to sea with me on a ship called Hadriania.
We joined her in Rotterdam, meet up with him in the Red Ensign club in London the night before, nearly missed the flight out the next day.
Last I herd he was working as a security guard on King George Dock. He would have been at school same time as us, not sure if he went to Jarvis or Maybury.

RayJordandpo
2nd November 2009, 21:29
Hi Alan,
I saw George a year or two back. He got divorced and moved from Hedon, he is now living on Vicky Dock. I remember him at school (Jervis) and he lived opposite me on Bilton Grange. Mick Ronson the guitarist lived next door to me. We all used to knock about together. Mally and Eddie Kilkenny, Terry Oliphant, George, Mick Ronson (before he became famous) and a few more who names escape me.

ALLAN WILD
3rd November 2009, 11:22
Hi Alan,
I saw George a year or two back. He got divorced and moved from Hedon, he is now living on Vicky Dock. I remember him at school (Jervis) and he lived opposite me on Bilton Grange. Mick Ronson the guitarist lived next door to me. We all used to knock about together. Mally and Eddie Kilkenny, Terry Oliphant, George, Mick Ronson (before he became famous) and a few more who names escape me.
Hi Ray,
By you mentioned some names there I remember, I saw Eddie not long ago, he must be the best dressed kid in the town, always got a collar and tie on,think he works for HFC flogging tickets.
As for Terry Oliphant..aint seen him since I was living on Bilton Grange 40 years ago. Some other names you may remember who I see know and again are Chris Dunn,Mick Pratt,Pete Jamerson,Tony Lord,Steve Burton,...Ring any bells?
Terry Kilkenny, Mallys younger brother lives out at Spurn...first house on the right just passed the Crown pub. As for Mally ... must be 20 years ago since I spoke to him.
Talking to Terry Smith, ( x United Towing ) on Sunday......he brought me some chickens from his stables ............hes just been made redundant from the Svitzers tugs after 30 years. Going to concentrate on horses for a living now.......finnished with the sea.

Ron Stringer
4th November 2009, 00:48
......he brought me some chickens from his stables ............

Bloody Hell, I know that Yorkshiremen like to claim everything is bigger and better up there, but just how big are these chickens that you need to keep in stables?(EEK)

hughesy
4th November 2009, 08:21
Hey Ray
Been listening to Micks music lately what a talent wish I could have met him RIP

all the best(Thumb)
Hughesy

Alan Rawlinson
4th November 2009, 14:53
Hi,my name is Frank Earl and I sailed on the Baltic Sun in the 1960s.We ran from tower bridge to Gdynia and Gdansk,bringing frozen pork carcasses.The dockers were women who dodged the armed guards and ate a frozen pork carcass every day using a hacksaw blade.The bones were dropped over the side.Times were tough for them in post war Poland.More info if you would like some.Frank(Bert Bloggs on this site).

Hi Frank,

I am a Bankline man of the 50's and have jumped over to UBC with a query that has been driving me mad. Thought you might be able to help.

Around 1959, when I was second mate in the bankline and on leave, I visited a ship on the Tower Hill berth, and shared a few beers with the mate. It intrigued me that the run and the ships were so attractive to someone used to going away for 2 year spells! Can't remember the name but believe it might have been POZARICA. Would this be correct? Obviously not a UBC name but one of the fleet of the Polish partner. Can you help??? Cheers

Lescudjack
4th November 2009, 17:36
I did a spell on Mac Andrews Palacio around 1962 and seem to remember, at the time, the Posarica as being one of theirs

Shaky Mick
4th November 2009, 18:58
Going back to the Baltic Sun I did a couple of trips in her.I would need to get discharge books down from the loft to find out exactly when. .The skipper was a kiwi,D.R Thompson we called him,not a nice person at all.The crew of tower bridge came aboard Xmas eve for a drink and he threw them off.Next time we needed the bridge to get on our berth :Hayes Wharf? They made us wait forever.No joke when are you trying to catch last orders.I think this was around 1969.

Alan Rawlinson
18th November 2009, 08:13
I did a spell on Mac Andrews Palacio around 1962 and seem to remember, at the time, the Posarica as being one of theirs

Thanks for that - that may have ben the ship. The strange thing is that she was definitely on the Baltic run, and she was an older vessel. Did it happen that McAndrews and UBC sometimes used each others vessels, or was this a one off, I wonder?

MikeK
18th November 2009, 08:49
Morning Alan, the answer to your question I would say yes they probably did swap ships around occasionaly, although I wouldn't put my life on it ! I know they did it with personnel as I did a stint on Macs ships, then ended up back in the Bal boats. They also converted and lengthened the Baltic Vanguard shortly before I joined UBC, from a general cargo ship to a gearless container feeder called the Cortez under Macs flag, which I ended up sailing on until her sale to the Canadians

Mike

Alan Rawlinson
27th November 2009, 09:26
Morning Alan, the answer to your question I would say yes they probably did swap ships around occasionaly, although I wouldn't put my life on it ! I know they did it with personnel as I did a stint on Macs ships, then ended up back in the Bal boats. They also converted and lengthened the Baltic Vanguard shortly before I joined UBC, from a general cargo ship to a gearless container feeder called the Cortez under Macs flag, which I ended up sailing on until her sale to the Canadians

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I think that puts my query to rest, after all these years. Seems like we were not the only ones to have a lot of fun in Bankline! The Baltic run must have been so interesting and with reasonably short voyages as a bonus.

Cheers

MikeK
29th November 2009, 17:50
Thanks Mike,

I think that puts my query to rest, after all these years. Seems like we were not the only ones to have a lot of fun in Bankline! The Baltic run must have been so interesting and with reasonably short voyages as a bonus.

Cheers

The short runs were what attracted me to UBC and yes, we had a lot of fun before the accountants turned everything into pound signs ! I for one had no regrets whatever at joining them. Mind you winter time - getting knocked about from whatsit to breakfast time in the North Sea then crunching and grinding through the ice where brass monkeys fear to expose themselves - sometimes made you hanker after sunnier climes - even Kiddapore Dock, well maybe thats a bit strong !!

Mike

haywood
30th November 2009, 21:04
Hi well I joind the Boltic Merchant 1966 my first ship I spent my first Christmas at sea the cook was a pisshead I was is gally boy I never saw him from to days befor Christmass till to days after I was left to do all the cooking Christmass dinner ect I was not yet 16 he was sacked in Hull The next cook was a grate bloke called Ken he marred a girl in Leningrad he was still trying to get her out when i payed off He gave me the nike name of rowp because I went ashore in Hull with just a pocket full of rubbles

haywood
30th November 2009, 21:06
Hi well I joind the Boltic Merchant 1966 my first ship I spent my first Christmas at sea the cook was a pisshead I was is gally boy I never saw him from to days befor Christmass till to days after I was left to do all the cooking Christmass dinner ect I was not yet 16 he was sacked in Hull The next cook was a grate bloke called Ken he marred a girl in Leningrad he was still trying to get her out when i payed off He gave me the nike name of rowp because I went ashore in Hull with just a pocket full of rubbles

Baltic Wal
11th April 2010, 21:02
Hi Frank,

I am a Bankline man of the 50's and have jumped over to UBC with a query that has been driving me mad. Thought you might be able to help.

Around 1959, when I was second mate in the bankline and on leave, I visited a ship on the Tower Hill berth, and shared a few beers with the mate. It intrigued me that the run and the ships were so attractive to someone used to going away for 2 year spells! Can't remember the name but believe it might have been POZARICA. Would this be correct? Obviously not a UBC name but one of the fleet of the Polish partner. Can you help??? Cheers

The chance is that the ship you saw was the MacAndrews PONZANO she was transferred to UBC and renamed BALTIC SPRAY mid 1960. Don't know if she would have been on the Gdynia run.

Lescudjack
12th April 2010, 17:07
There is a brief history of the link between U.B.C. and MacAndrews on http://www.theshipslist.com . On the list of MacAndrews ships of around 1962 is the Pozarica. The ship I was on at the time, the Palacio, had a run of three weeks Spain and one week in St Katherine Dock, Tower Hill. – where often we would be tied up next to the Pozarica.

Later I joined the Baltic Swift moored opposite the Tower of London. There was a problem discharging at the time because on the return voyage the refrigeration had broken down and the full cargo of carrots had all gone rotten. The cost of disposing with it in London was judged to be too high and a price was agreed with Liverpool to clear it off.

BillH
12th April 2010, 18:39
There is a brief history of the link between U.B.C. and MacAndrews on http://www.theshipslist.com . On the list of MacAndrews ships of around 1962 is the Pozarica. The ship I was on at the time, the Palacio, had a run of three weeks Spain and one week in St Katherine Dock, Tower Hill. – where often we would be tied up next to the Pozarica.

Later I joined the Baltic Swift moored opposite the Tower of London. There was a problem discharging at the time because on the return voyage the refrigeration had broken down and the full cargo of carrots had all gone rotten. The cost of disposing with it in London was judged to be too high and a price was agreed with Liverpool to clear it off.
Hope this helps clarify the relationship.

Having published the United Baltic history I am now finishing that of MacAndrews and their numerous Spanish subsidiary fleets.

The financial problems of the Royal Mail Group had become greater by the day so much so that by 1929 the British Treasury was becoming more fearful of an embarrassing collapse of a prestigious British shipping concern.
As such the Treasury had, together with the Bank of England and the City, for the first time found it necessary to intervene to rescue a collapsing bankrupt business. By the end of 1930, they had formulated a rescue plan having “persuaded” Lord Kylsant to relinquish his total control.
Under the rescue plan, Trustees were appointed to oversee the management of all the Kylsant Companies, with total liabilities in excess of 50m. Their brief was to arrange the best possible terms for salvage on behalf of Royal Mail creditors.
The Trustees were Sir Walter Runciman, Chairman of the Runciman group of companies; Sir William McLintock, a prominent accountant; Frederick Hyde, Managing Director of the Midland Bank and Brigadier-General Arthur Maxwell, managing partner of the bankers Glynn Mills & Company.
Walter Runciman M. P. (Lib.) was appointed Deputy Chairman of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company and Director of all the principal subsidiary Companies until he resigned in November 1931 upon his joining the Government as President of the Board of Trade, a position he was to retain until 1937. During the World War 1 he had also been President of the Board of Trade.
In February 1931, rumours were rife that the Ellerman Group were interested in buying MacAndrews Spanish business, but nothing came to fruition.
For some years to come the businesses were restructured and offered for sale. Several big players had been slogging it out to acquire what they wished despite several rejections by the trustees.
Lord Inverforth, formerly Andrew Weir, Chairman and founder of Andrew Weir & Company Ltd, 50% proprietor of United Baltic Corporation entered the fray in 1935, having watched the posturing from the side lines for some time. His target was MacAndrews & Company Ltd. that served the Iberian Peninsula and Mediterranean fruit markets. The main creditor of MacAndrews was the Treasury, being owed 175,000, outstanding on Trade Facilities Act (TFA) loans. Inverforth however was not alone in pursuing MacAndrews & Company Ltd.

1. In July 1935, the General Steam Navigation Company Ltd, London, had bid 393,000.
2. In November 1935, Kaye, Son & Company Ltd., a long time associate of MacAndrews, entered the race with a cash offer of 390,950.
3. November 1935 also saw Lord Inverforth’s formal submission, placed through the United Baltic Corporation Ltd. The bid consisted of 220,000 in cash and a further 175,000 in mortgages as securities for the TFA loans to be repaid over the succeeding 14 years.

The Inverforth bid was deemed the most attractive to the Trustees and hence was successful, making MacAndrews & Company Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the United Baltic Corporation Ltd.
The post acquisition elation for MacAndrews & Company was however short lived, turning to despair as the Spanish trade was plunged into its most difficult period upon the 1936 outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. Valencia, one of the main ports of call, was at the centre of the activity; having been declared the capital of the new republic. It is also interesting to note that the conflict had the support of both Hitler and Mussolini and was a taste of things to come, lasting until 1939, just before the outbreak of WW2.

MikeK
13th April 2010, 15:10
Very informative, thanks for that Bill

MikeK

robert hankinson
28th April 2010, 16:52
i remember your sidekick,gus from scotland,also the gallyboy,stewert,also dave the pantryboy,sid the cook and baltic johnHi all.Was 3 threeyrs in Baltic Valiant in the 70s.Also in Express ,Vanguard,Merchant,Venture and the sun.I remember Cap, Johnny Rose 'GOD" well.So many good memories of the ships,the crews as well as the ice.Mick Carroll

Shaky Mick
1st May 2010, 08:41
Bob I last heard of Stew leggart as sadly dying after his ship sank in the Medi. The ships name may have been Eden Shore a supply boat.I do hope that report is untrue as he was a lovely lad.Gus went ashore married a girl in Kotka And seen last running a bar in dundee.As for Sid, Dave and John our paths never crossed again.I have fond memories of all.

Paul Sibellas
12th May 2010, 20:00
Hi to you all,

I was on the Baltic Valiant, from December 1970 to August 71, this was on my first trip to sea.
Captain Rose was on there when I joined but then Captain Delacy? I think.
Only others I remember were Sid the cook and Mick (Carrol?) 2nd steward both from London. The bosun was Latvian, Bob?
Was a good ship and enjoyed it. Maybe some of you can come up with other names from that period.
Recall the Quicky Bar (was that it's real name?) in Kotka was a great place to go. Also remember when 5 gallons of teepol was dropped in the fountain in Kotka by Mick and others. Made a good picture in the local paper!

Barry. (Thumb)

I was on the Baltic Valiant 1972.Mick Carrol was still on there & his mate Hank,who both had girl friends in Kotka, plus an A.B. called Alex who was married to a Kotka girl called lisa. We still used to throw washing up liquid in the fountain there,untill the police stood guard at closing time.yes it was called the Quick Bar.Like alot of others i fell in love there as well.Great days.

Shaky Mick
26th May 2010, 19:18
Hi Paul a long time has past since those days.Hank is coming to the uk this week. Hopefully we can talk about other things than fountains and teepol.Get in touch. Regards Mick Carroll

Dave Haxell
29th May 2010, 00:23
I was on the Valiant same time as you Mick, in fact you must still have my crushed blue velvet jacket (hmm nice !!!!). I remember you and Gus having the most untidiest cabins in the the fleet. This was around the summer of 73. The Cook was an old codger called Sid who wasnt the easiest to get on with so I only stayed for about 3 months. The Chief steward was a big bloke with a beard from Hull called Mick. I lent him a cassette tape of Close to the edge by Yes. Seems I paid off with less than I thought.!!!! I remember the deckies cabin were single but had a strange bed configuration so that the top and bottom bunks went into the cabin next door. Kotka was fun. Didnt we all hang out on a rocky outcrop which we called Pork Chop Hill strumming Guitars and trying to be hippies.

"I like to be with UBC
on a Baltic boat sailing cross the sea
Oh what joy for every galley boy
knowing his happy and his safe" with great apologies to the Beatles and Octopus Garden

Regards Dave the galley boy

Shaky Mick
1st June 2010, 20:47
Hi Dave cant say I remember you but I certainly remember the jacket how sad is that.The abs cabins were certainly a strange shape. Sid the cook was really a acquired taste my pal though. Pork Chop Hill and mid-summer do hold good memories for me and I hope for others. Regards Mick

yarddog
28th June 2010, 10:52
i did one run with the Baltic Arrow in early 1972. finland, poland and back to hull. if i remember it was a freezer ship. i was lecky on her.
jack

Shaky Mick
28th October 2010, 19:53
Gone quite here Re Baltic Boats anybody out there?

MikeK
29th October 2010, 10:20
Gone quite here Re Baltic Boats anybody out there?

I think I'm still here (Applause) Got home from holiday with the family yesterday and busy catching up with unread posts.
Nothing new on the UBC front though - anyone else out there still kicking- feebly or otherwise ?

Mike

Shaky Mick
9th November 2010, 21:34
Come on guys lets have some chat about the 70s.

RogertheLodger
10th November 2010, 18:03
Hi Shaky Mick.....Re your #190. Was wondering if Sid the Cook you mentioned was in fact Sid Halford (or Alford) from down 'sarf '. If it is him, just wanted to say that I remember him on a couple of the 6 Baltic boats I sailed on as AB from 1959 - 1964. Also sailed with him on one of MacAndrew's. I do recall that Sid could be a bit moody sometimes, but he was really a nice bloke and in my opinion a bl---y good cook. I still remember thinking that his scotch eggs and voul-au-vents were to die for. Also MikeK if you read this must tell you how much I've enjoyed your postings on this thread ( love your sense of humour, mate). Although I was around before your time in UBC, some of the captains and other characters you mention seem to ring a bell. Hope the pair of you are able to encourage others to continue this excellent thread. At least we all agree on one thing, UBC had more than it's share of 'characters' and, all things considered, was a great company to work for......cheers to you both, Roger.

MikeK
11th November 2010, 09:06
Hiya Roger - well that makes three of us still kicking - and thanks for the compliment I haven't always been complimented on my sense of humour, believe me !.

I'm sure there was a cook/steward with the same nickname as yours Mick how he got the name could be interesting, I do know he wasn't a Mike before you start chucking things at me ! Just had a brainwave, was it Shaky Ray ?
Talking of Cooks (!) a man that featured large in my life in UBC was Cyril Hurrell (All my friends, Cary Grant etc call me 'Cy' !) He was the only bloke that counted french beans and the like exactly down to so many for each person he had worked out ate that particular food and no more ! Woe betide you if you decided to have something you didn't usually have ! Just meant everyone else got a few less to cover it.

That man was a legend for all the wrong reasons !

Must be someone out there that will be stirred into activity at the mention of that name - even 'The Squirrel' himself !

regards to all

Mike

Shaky Mick
16th December 2010, 22:19
Hi ya Roger, yes it was Sid Alford, ex army,from the east end of London. He had some quite graphic tales to tell of his time in the war when you got him p..... enough. I know he spent some time with the War Graves Commission after the war. A cantankerous old s.. but a good friend. I got the name Shaky Mick as 2nd Steward deep sea for being somewhat parsimonious with the issue of evaporated milk. P.S. Sid would often have a stock pot on the stove with an extra 200 cigs and a bottle to fool her Maj,s rummagers. Regards Mick Carroll

BazB
17th December 2010, 07:05
As galley boy on my first trip I remember Sid's 'stock pot' Mick. Also his mate the Policeman on the dock gate at Millwall who used to turn up early in the morning for his breakfast.
Would wrap (uncooked) eggs, bacon and sausages in greaseproof paper which he would put inside his helmet, put it on his head and go back to the gate where he had a little stove.
Also remember Sid sending me over the bookies outside the gate with his bets for the day too!

RogertheLodger
17th December 2010, 10:55
Hello Mick and BazB, It was good to hear that the Sid Alford I knew was indeed the very same Sid that you had both known and sailed with. As said in a previous post, I thought that he was a damn' fine cook when he put his mind to it, but also acknowledge that he could be a cantankerous old s-d at times. That said, he was also an enjoyable drinking partner and his conversation never really bored me. As I type this I can still recall his thin black moustache, his dark hair combed straight back (40's style) and a ready wit. Perhaps when you two guys sailed with him he didn't have much hair left? As a young smart-**** A.B. I remember having an ability to rev' him up, but some-times wish I hadn't done so because, basically, he was a decent man. Thankfully, when we last said goodbye it was on good terms. Again, thankyou both for responding to this, I'm sure MikeK will be pleased. It would be nice if stories about the UBC could keep this thread alive. I do have one or two as, I'm sure, you two also have, so why not try and keep it going? As it is that time of year again may I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and New Year........Cheers, Roger.

john g
17th December 2010, 15:00
Anyone remember an engineer by the name of Jeff ? Hunking. He sailed as 2/E on a couple of the Brocklebank boats in the early 70's . Last saw him prior to paying off in Hamburg .....he kind of disappeared the night before we flew home and never heard of since. The only thing known was he worked for United Baltic for a time prior to Brocks.

Bridie
17th December 2010, 21:04
Hi
Just come back to browsing SN recently.
I was on Baltic Star and Baltic Vanguard 1970 - AB
One EDH that I remember was called something like Melvin or Mervin Cooper??
Sailed regularly with UBC or on Med boats. He'd never been further than the Med.
Anyone know who I am talking about.

gdynia
18th December 2010, 07:37
Melvin Cooper was on Baltic Venture when i joined her in Felixstowe in early 70,s

gdynia
18th December 2010, 07:44
Come on guys lets have some chat about the 70s.

Remember when the galley froze up and you served the substantial meal of a lettuce leaf haha(Thumb)those were the days

Bridie
18th December 2010, 20:58
Melvin Cooper was on Baltic Venture when i joined her in Felixstowe in early 70,s

Enjoyed sailing with him. Often wonder what happened to him.

This could be him CLICK HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/501/BalticStarMess.jpg)

Shaky Mick
19th December 2010, 17:42
John g sorry dont know the ginger beer you ask about. That is Melvin in the photo. He and I were at a girls house in Kotka when he started to eat the plants in her garden of course she was somewhat upset, Melvins reply that they were nasturtiums, a salad plant, did not make her any happier. Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to all.

China hand
18th February 2011, 19:38
Been looking for a good photo of Baltic Sprite to add to my collection. Anyone know of one?

michaelF
18th February 2011, 20:43
Here you go.

mike

PollY Anna
18th February 2011, 22:48
Well guys

I have just had an enjoyable read on this UBC site, thank you. As I mentioned on the first page I did a trip on the Arrow, Master was M Todd all those years ago and I have followed up my time at sea and all the ships I sailed on. The Arrow foundered off the coast of Peru in Chimbote Bay near Lima 16/12/83 (she was I understand no longer with UBC) Just a bit more to add to her history

Ron

MikeK
19th February 2011, 09:56
Here you go.

mike

Erm ..... how did the Sprite end up with Baltic Venture on the bow ? [=P]
Nice one though, MichaelF and thanks, that was my first ship in UBC and I didn't have a pic

MikeK

ps had a xmas card from another shipmate with a little cutting pasted on saying that the Baltic Eagle had been sold for scrap on some Indian beach or other. Shame but everything wears out in time (Tell me about it !!!!!)

michaelF
19th February 2011, 10:44
Erm ..... how did the Sprite end up with Baltic Venture on the bow ?

Oops!

Will have another go, Is this the sprite , name is blurred

mike

Wribbenhall
19th February 2011, 17:00
Been looking for a good photo of Baltic Sprite to add to my collection. Anyone know of one?

2 Here,courtesy of photoship.co.uk
Regards

W.B.H.

Trader
19th February 2011, 18:51
Thanks for the photos WBH. I also have been looking for a decent photo of the Sprite. I was in her in 1971 relieving the old Polish bosun who had been in her for yonks.

Alec.

China hand
19th February 2011, 19:20
What a response; many thanks to all.
I remember my little 3rd Mate's cabin on the Sprite was that much better than any of the Bank Boats I had been on previously, tiny but very well arranged.
I only did one trip in her, far too cold for me in that part of the world, but what an experience! And with Capt. Jones also. Great stuff. Again, many thanks.

Trader
19th February 2011, 23:58
Just had a look at my old discharge book China Hand, I have a couple of discharges from the Sprite and have tried to decypher the old mans signature, it looks like initial K connected to SO_______s, it could be Jones with a bit of imagination.(Jester).

I know what you mean about the cold, I was in the Sprite in the summer months so it wasn't too bad but I did the Express and the Viking in the winter months, a different story.

Here are a couple of photos taken on the Viking en route to Riga.
(1) Bosun Albert Kenyon and Mate Ron Harvey clearing the windlass.

(2) No 1 hatch looking aft.

Taken in 1972.

Regards.Alec.

michaelF
20th February 2011, 12:35
Just had a look at my old discharge book China Hand, I have a couple of discharges from the Sprite and have tried to decypher the old mans signature, it looks like initial K connected to SO_______s, it could be Jones with a bit of imagination

this might help you decide ,
mike

Trader
21st February 2011, 01:28
Thanks for that Mike. No, it's a different old man.

Alec

China hand
21st February 2011, 19:35
Just had a look at my old discharge book China Hand, I have a couple of discharges from the Sprite and have tried to decypher the old mans signature, it looks like initial K connected to SO_______s, it could be Jones with a bit of imagination.(Jester).

I know what you mean about the cold, I was in the Sprite in the summer months so it wasn't too bad but I did the Express and the Viking in the winter months, a different story.

Here are a couple of photos taken on the Viking en route to Riga.
(1) Bosun Albert Kenyon and Mate Ron Harvey clearing the windlass.

(2) No 1 hatch looking aft.

Taken in 1972.

Regards.Alec.

Hi Trader,

I was 3rd mate in the SPRITE in March 1966 for a fill-in trip ( I was leaving Bank Line and joining Blue Star to get "fixed on the South America run"). It was "Jackie Jones" as Master. I believe he was a well known character in United Baltic; in my case, he was a real pleasure to sail with. His way of dealing with a 3/O who had never seen anything colder than Hamburg or the Magellan 's was bordering on the paternal. Smashing guy.
His sig in my book looks like "J S joes" laid well backhand ( could be Daddy Gin mode as it was pay-off day).
He invited me to re-sign, but the weather won.

MikeK
23rd February 2011, 09:36
Sailed with Jackie Jones a few times and agree he was (hopefully is ) one of life's gentlemen. I think it was the Sprite he referred to as his 'sampan'. There are postings elsewhere about his mascot Paddington Bear and the leather seal. Whenever some authority upset him he would say 'hoist the Paddington Mate ' and we would hoist a modified Q flag with a picture of Pad in the middle to express his disgust with whoever(mostly Leningrad beaurocracy !). It was made by a second mate with an artistic bent from bits of flag repair bunting

MikeK

RogertheLodger
23rd February 2011, 12:40
Hi I was on the Baltic Merchant In Feb,1964.
We was trapped in the ice with a few more ships
while the icebrecker came.I'm like you I use to feel uneasy
In Russia
Artie
Hello Artie.....Jeez, mate, I hope I'm not too late ( you posted back in 2007). I was a shipmate when the 'Baltic Merchant' was stuck in the ice back in '64. You might remember me, I was the good-looking , young A.B. with the big-mouth who sounded like a cockney, but really came from Essex. Looking back, I realise that, at times, I was an obnoxious little (not so little) sh-t - wish I could go back and do it differently. However, I was also one of two A.B's who went onto the ice with an 'ice anchor' to try and extricate us from the situation we found ourselves in. This, of course, sounds far more dramatic than it was in reality. As we both know, up in the Baltic during the winter it happened all the time (I'm sure that there are many others on this site who know what I'm talking about, so will not elaborate). In the end, the nuclear-powered ice-breaker 'Lenin' came and rescued us. Anyway, Artie, I'm trying to put a face to you. Were you on deck or down below? As you will remember, on the 'Merchant', the sailors and the donkey-greasers shared the same mess, so if you can jog my memory a little I would love to hear from you........cheers, Roger.

PAULD
24th February 2011, 20:13
Baltic Vanguard 75/76 anybody know the name of the 2nd engineer, nick named clotted cream. He was on the christmass that the first mate decided to take a fire ax to one of the ab,s but hit the wrong bunk, if i remmeber right

alex1950
4th May 2011, 18:50
Thats him! Frank Marino,you are right ,he did like a cig. I,ve remembered afew other crew names.alex something,,,,he was Zaks pal.Also bob moffat,big Jim Howard, Sid Jenner,Joe Meggett,also a bosun from Hull with a droopy western style moustache cant recall his name, Les Hall , Joe the pole????. Stewards Gerry Martin and Brian Hogg do you remember any of them? You are right, i still live in Basildon Essex,still married to same lady and 1 grandaughter. Also i will be 50 next month,,,say no more exept where does the time go? phil

It was Alex Smith (i know its me) Im still alive and kicking in Dubai as marine loss consultant living in Thailand very happy but the Baltic days were great, when i go oon ships now (frequently) is not the same feeling.

alex1950
4th May 2011, 18:54
Hi all,
Well it is good to know that some of us Kotka cowboys are still around.Baz I cant put a face to your name,sorry.I have read the previous postings,hmmm!Mike I was never in the Sprite and it was the late 70s I was in the Venture,anyone remember our near death experience and subsequent towing into Stavanger?Mick Thompson I remember well,mad as a march hare.Many of the names mentioned I remember as well,most with fond memories.Most of us were young and had the best of times in some of the best of ships.Aw gee,sob sob.
Regards Mick
Hi Mike, Stavanger episode was "interesting" but expensive booze. How are you doing, got your dodgy handle from Hank. Im in Dubai but live Thailand long story but worth the telling can get me on alex.smith@oilexpress.com (marine cargo survey consultancy), hows the van doing?

alex1950
4th May 2011, 18:57
Hi Paul good days indeed, but still as mischevious just slower (alex)

R396040
4th May 2011, 19:16
Hi everyone just browsing through this intereswting thread which made me recall a shipmate from way back in fifties. Nis name was Kevin Phillips from Croydon and he was an A/S on the Baltic boats out of Surrey Docks to Finland with fascinating sea stories of gorgeous blonde female dockies in Finland..... I always wanted to try Finland but unfortunately never did. Anybody recall him ?

Stuart

alex1950
4th May 2011, 21:59
Fab Phil as he was known was a real character larger than life and a good guy in end he was Ch Stwd on UBC long time, talk about one in each port had several. He passed away some years of big C a loss of what is dying breed of seamen or maybe already dead.

MikeK
5th May 2011, 08:23
Yep Fab Phil was another of life's gentlemen, seem to remember he referred to everyone as 'old boy'- well the blokes anyway !
Nice to hear you are still gallivanting around Alex. Last time I met you was when you visited the Baltic 'something or other' in Finland when you were living in Kotka was it ?
Best regards

MikeK

ps just had a flashback about the bosun with the Pancho Villa mustache someone mentioned above - it was Pete Edwards from Hull

Shaky Mick
5th May 2011, 20:15
t seems various Baltic boys are coming out of the woodwork. So sorry to hear about Fabulous Phil. He really was quite exceptional, that man could really pull the females. Does anybody have any news of Stew Leggart. Herr Smith I shall email you.

Shaky Mick
5th May 2011, 22:18
Alex, seems to be a problem with your email address.

Ron Stringer
5th May 2011, 22:41
Shaky Mick
Better you don't post your email address on the open forum. If you click on the person's name at the top of any of his posts you will be shown his profile and be given the opportunity to either send a Private Message (PM) or an email to him via Ships Nostalgia. Neither of those can be read by any spammer or other person with evil intent.

Suggest you click the 'Edit' button at the end of your post above, then delete your email address and then 'Save' the post. If you have problems, contact one of the moderators or Admin.

Good luck

R396040
6th May 2011, 17:38
Fab Phil as he was known was a real character larger than life and a good guy in end he was Ch Stwd on UBC long time, talk about one in each port had several. He passed away some years of big C a loss of what is dying breed of seamen or maybe already dead.

Thanks for the info Alex. The nickname would have been very appropriate if it was the same guy,we had done a few trips together on GSNC at time I met him I. I recall he drove a Messerschimt three wheeler in the fifties and being involved in minor accident on the Highway in Stepney en route to company office,I went on to become Chf Stwd also on Cunard cargo boats out of Surrey Docks and there was an AB named Micky Cahill who claimed to be Kevin Phillips step brother, Micky was a wild one I recall. Cheers Stuart

Shaky Mick
6th May 2011, 18:11
Ron thanks. Not the most computer literate im afraid. Regards

redgreggie
22nd October 2011, 11:01
remember on the Baltic Jet, bosun from Hull, fairly big guy use to do marquetry......making pictures from little pieces of wood.

I was never artistic but wished I was, he showed me how to make a ship out of a chicken carcase, and I tried carving a ship out of a chunk of wood, to shave the hull I scraped a penknife, or some sort of knife, down the length of the piece of wood and a sliver of wood shot diagonally under my fingernail.......ouch.
Chief Steward cut a V in the fingernail and drew the offending sliver of wood out, ouch, it hurt as much coming out as it did going in!

ray...................in Batley.

andyburn
20th December 2011, 01:34
Some images from the scanner...more tomorrow

andyburn
20th December 2011, 01:36
and more...

andyburn
20th December 2011, 21:24
Hollywood Dave(?) and Ricky

Gus the Smoker
1st January 2012, 14:18
Been checking out the UBC thread - some familiar names appeared. I sailed on the Venture, Valiant (1 year and no leave), Vanguard, Arrow (missed it in Gdynia) and Progress throughout the 70's. Happy New Year to all. (Wave)

MikeK
2nd January 2012, 09:41
Been checking out the UBC thread - some familiar names appeared. I sailed on the Venture, Valiant (1 year and no leave), Vanguard, Arrow (missed it in Gdynia) and Progress throughout the 70's. Happy New Year to all. (Wave)

And to you and all the other UBC crowd still about (Pint)

Mike

baz140
18th March 2012, 11:59
was on the baltic jet and sun 2stwd was norman on the sun from hull catering boy on both earley 70s enjoyed poland after that think i joined the great white fleet ?? fyffes also did the ugland boats two anyway great years but prefered deep sea lol

Ron Dean
18th March 2012, 12:25
Andyburn.

Thanks for posting the photos of the Baltic Eider.
My wife & I sailed as passengers on her in August 2004.
She was sold to the French the following year, I think for service in the Antarctic. - Hope she is still going strong.

Ron.

baz140
18th March 2012, 16:05
was on the baltic jet and sun 2stwd was norman on the sun from hull catering boy on both earley 70s enjoyed poland after that think i joined the great white fleet ?? fyffes also did the ugland boats two anyway great years but prefered deep sea lolgot it norman smith

poverf
17th May 2012, 00:10
Hi sailed on the jet in 1969 the cook was walt from hull can any body help with more info

BillH
17th May 2012, 22:33
BALTIC JET (1959 - 1979)

O.N. 300844. 1,481g. 590n. 1,996d. 91.01 x 12.88 x 4.846 metres.
7-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (520 x 750mm) oil engine manufactured by Maschinen Augsburg Nurnberg, (MAN), Nurnberg. 2,520 bhp. 14 kts. 4 passengers.

1958: Ordered from Krogerwerft GmbH, Rendsburg (Yard No. 1088), by MacAndrews & Company Ltd., London.
10.1.1959: Launched for the United Baltic Corporation Ltd.
18.4.1959: Completed.
1973: Anglo-Finnish Shipping Company Ltd., appointed as managers.
1975: Removed from management.
1979: Sold to Mednari S.a.r.L., (Rima Line Shipping Company S.a.r.L., managers), Lebanon, and renamed NAVI STAR.
1981: Removed from management.
17.2.1984 Arrived at Bombay for demolition.

patprouse
23rd May 2012, 16:47
I was on the Venture from Oct 66 to Sept 67 and took my EDH exams in Hull and was told not to come back if I failed., which I didn't. Good time in Kotka and many holidays in Finland. Master was Capt Hunter and he had the reputation as the best ice skipper. Bosun was Ian Harris who is no longer with us. Visited the Quickie Bar in 2000 and now an Italian cafe.Can anyone remember the name of the bar in Helsinki we used to visit up the stairs with a balcony. Paul Rennison was asst steward late 66, early 67. We used to go ashore together. My other mate was Kenny (Jimmy) Parker from London who was on the Vanguard/Viking. Does anyone know him,I would like to contact him. Many happy memories in my retirement.

bilge bill
29th October 2012, 18:12
Hi Shipmates,
I am new to the site, i sailed on the Baltic Trader 1960 til 1961, 15 months total, she was unusual as she was on the Med run, home port Hamburg, most of my time(AB) was with a german deck crew on her, Skipper was captain Thompson.
Also one trip to Finland on Baltic Exporter 1962. as far as i recall there were two Baltic boats on the med run from Hamburg, cannot recall the name of the other one, regards all Bilge Bill

trotterdotpom
29th October 2012, 22:42
Welcome Bill. Curious about the manning of Baltic Trader - was she British flag?

John T

bilge bill
29th October 2012, 22:50
Yes , she was under the british flag, strangely non of the german crew held British AB tickets. In fact i joined her as a SOS, and after 6 months had enough time to sit my EDH ticket. The skipper Cpt Thompson talked me into staying, and signed me on in the rank of SAILOR, which was EDH money. Have never known anyone else with that rank in their book. regards Bilge Bill

trotterdotpom
30th October 2012, 00:17
Thanks Bill, did she have some sort of dispensation to have foreigners on board? Maybe in the same way as ships with Indian crews. Did she ever get to any UK ports?

John T

bilge bill
30th October 2012, 10:45
Hi, All the officers were Brits, and when i joined her in London we had a Brit bosun,
unsure how they managed to get away with the deck crew as such. We did come to London once for 2 days, but the 6 week trip to the med was always back to Hamburg(lady friend in Hamburg was kept me on the ship). young and stupid!!! Bill

guinnessmick
30th October 2012, 13:19
i was on the baltic star twice once as a cabin boy and J A Jones was the skipper once as 2nd cook and baker and J C Purdy was the skipper and i did a couple of trips on the baltrover and the skipper there was - macdonald

bilge bill
30th October 2012, 16:01
Hi John T, i dont know if they thought i was the strange one, but i was also on the St Merriel in 1959, 7 months on the South American run, that also had a mixed deck crew, myself JOS, and 1 deck boy british, the rest of the deck crew were German, Dutch and Belgium, strangely we all got on very well together , regards Bill