Pride Of Hawai'i

dom
5th June 2006, 01:04
at over 93,000 tons,carrying 2,400 passengers and costing over half a billion $ the pride of hawai'i is by far the most largest,luxurious and expensive us flaged passenger ship ever built.
purpose built ,pride of hawai'i features a vast array of accommodation including two luxurious garden villas with their own gardens and sun decks,10 courtyard villas sharing a private courtyard ,pool and sundeck,and a spectacular top-of-the-ship owener's suite.

Keltic Star
5th June 2006, 06:35
at over 93,000 tons,carrying 2,400 passengers and costing over half a billion $ the pride of hawai'i is by far the most largest,luxurious and expensive us flaged passenger ship ever built.
purpose built ,pride of hawai'i features a vast array of accommodation including two luxurious garden villas with their own gardens and sun decks,10 courtyard villas sharing a private courtyard ,pool and sundeck,and a spectacular top-of-the-ship owener's suite.

Any idea where she was built Dom?

dom
5th June 2006, 08:53
i did see somewhere but i skim through so many pages and i dont mark them .
its the 3rd ship built/or bought for the hawaiian cruise market,the item that caught my attention was that they are american flaged and crewed,a great boast for the islands, more on goggle ,type, cruise ship pride of hawai'i

Pat McCardle
5th June 2006, 09:06
Ingalls, Mississippi.

fred henderson
5th June 2006, 16:33
Sorry Pat, she is a real cruise ship, just delivered by Meyer Werft, Pappenberg, Germany. Not only the largest US Flag passenger ship, but I also think that she is the largest passenger ship buily to date in Germany. 93,502 grt, 294.1m oa, 24.6 kts, 2,400 passengers, 1,100 crew. Two sisters due next year for NCL.
American Classic Voyages ordered two 72,000 ton cruise ships from Ingalls for delivery in 2003 at the crazy price of $615.5 million each. For comparison the two 116,000 grt Diamond/Saphire Princess ships delivered in 2004 cost $400 million each.
Ingalls made a complete lash-up of their attempts to build the ships and American Classic Voyages became bankrupt. Eventually Star entered into a deal with the US Government that enabled them to get dispensation from the full effects of the Jones Act. In exchange for taking one of the uncompleted Ingalls ships, they were allowed to create NCL America, transfer the 1999 German built NCL ship Norwegian Sky, which became Pride of Alhoa and build a third ship in Germany.
Star were also allowed to take the Ingalls ship to Lloyd Werft in Germany for fitting out. Star only paid $459 million for the completed ship, which they ironically they named Pride of America!

Fred (Read)

Pat McCardle
5th June 2006, 18:40
Sorry Fred, I thought she was an inter-island ferry. Thanks for the builders update, I got my info from a dated SM mag. (Thumb)

david
6th June 2006, 08:14
Hi Fred,
Luuuurrve the last par.
They really are not the masters of the universe in the good old USA are they.
No wonder the Asians, esp the Chinese are walking all over us. Too quick, too smart.
Regards
David D.

dom
6th June 2006, 09:07
the item that caught my eye in the first place is thay they are u.s. flagged and crewed,about 4000 u.s. nationals are employed,not knowing the no.s of cruise ships out of the u.k. or how they are flagged or crewed that amount of jobs would be a godsend

Keltic Star
7th June 2006, 06:37
Thanks for the info Gentlemen. I was wondering how they got around the Jones Act.

dom
7th June 2006, 14:50
star cruise chairman TAN SRI LIM KOK THAY announced during the christening of the pride of hawaii that the "united states " would be coming back as the forth ship for 'norway cruise lines america', her refurbishment will follow or concur with the building of two more ships for the n.c.l. international program.no further details were announced.

david
8th June 2006, 08:18
Yea Dom,
and pigs might fly!!!
The poor old United States I reckon is finished as an ocean going vessel.
Can you imagine those canny,savvy, financially smart Malaysians ever investing sixpence in an old fashioned vessel without balconies etc etc, when they can sweet talk the US Government to help pay for a brand new ship with all the bells and whistles?
Or maybe I am just a cynic.
Regards
David D.

dom
8th June 2006, 09:03
dont know david i only write it as i see it ,does seem strange through,,what is she 53/54 yrs old