T&J Harrison's ADVENTURER

Fairfield
14th September 2004, 11:28
This was the first of the Stulcken derricked heavy lift ships operated by T&J Harrison and was taken in Glasgow/s King George V Dock in the late 1970s.

tanker
14th September 2004, 15:25
Very good this is a very nostalgia. ADVENTURER was the first, then arrived
CUSTODIAN -TACTICIAN 1961 and the last INVENTOR 1964 .At the biginnig
of 1980 ADVENTURER become the greek flagged ELEFTHERIA and probably
broken up in 1985.

DMA
1st March 2005, 23:52
I'm a new boy here on the forum, nice to see & read about T&J Harrison's as I have a bit of a soft spot for 'two of fat one of lean' having sailed on Adventurer/Custodian/Barrister/Interpreter & Jounalist [run job] in the early sixties.
There's not a whole lot of info on the web regards to Harrison's & it was such a big company.
Joining the Custodian in South Shields where she was fitting out prior to sailing for Birkenhead for her maiden voyage,unfortunatly for me I was injured when she was departing B,head for S Africa ,I rejoined her some months later.
I sailed on Adventurer a few voyages also ,I think that her Stulken derrick was the first on a British ship a 180 ton lift big for it's day.
Believe it was Hansa Line of Germany that pioneered the Stulken & Adventurers was installed in there.

Fairfield
2nd March 2005, 08:59
Those of a certain age like me will remember no doubt,the cutaway drawings in the EAGLE over the years.This is the one featuring ADVENTURER being the first heavy lift ship for Harrison.

Doug Rogers
2nd March 2005, 10:26
Shades of Dan Dare and the Mekon??, green bloke with an anti grav chair...where the hell did you come up with that copy of the Eagle from??, dont tell me you have had it all these years!!. Good one!!. My Dad used to buy it for me for years, think he quite enjoyed reading it as well.

tanker
2nd March 2005, 10:57
Thank John 236 ,for the confirm of her scrapping as ELEFTHERIA in 1985.

Fairfield
2nd March 2005, 11:07
Yes Doug,still got a few copies from those days-well the cutaways anyway.There/s an EAGLE website with cutaways of a general cargo ship and the guided missile destroyer HMS DEVONSHIRE which I did have but didn/t survive!
Will dig out some of the others.

scouse alan
30th October 2007, 19:29
I worked as a stevedore storekeeper working the heavy lifts for tos&jos before I went away myself working down below so I am familiar with all harrisons fleet. Just loved watching the Craftsman do her stuff testing her twin derricks

Keith Adams
29th January 2008, 06:23
I picked up a really nice print (Harrison Line advertising piece) from Liverpool HQ in 1972 of the "Adventurer" 1960 - 1979, off Greenock, painted by John Stobart ... I loaned it to him about 3 years ago as he forgot he had painted it ... he was to return it after making a copy for himself ... I am still waiting and he does not answer letters or telephone messages. Keith A.

Duncan112
29th January 2008, 08:15
There's not a whole lot of info on the web regards to Harrison's & it was such a big company.

Captain Graeme Cubbins' "Harrisons of Liverpool" gives a first rate account of the company from cradle to grave. Got our copy from John Clarkson of Ships in Focus.

Duncan

Diplomat
16th June 2008, 14:07
As the quote says T&J Harrisons was one of the larges companies in Liverpool, but when you start to look for information it’s as though they never existed especially in Liverpool's maritime museum.
I worked for them for 8 years back in the 1970 as a enginer, and it was the best years of my life.

GWB
16th June 2008, 14:36
I can remember the building of the Benarty for Ben Line in early 60's and the testing of the Stulken Derricks caused a lot of interest in Dundee at the time. It was also reported she was deigned to sit on beach at low tide and still work cargo, maybe some Ben Line guys would know if this was the case.

GWB

Harvey Williams
16th June 2008, 15:13
I served on the M.V.Tactician from August 68 till Jan 70 and found them one of the most friendly Companies out of Liverpool. Does anyone else remember the crew Personnel Manager a MR Reston if my memory serves me well, One of lifes Gents if ever ther was one. Any one else out there by the way who served at this time?
Harvey.

WilliamH
16th June 2008, 18:23
In the early 60's I heard there was an electrician in Harrisons called Anthony Armstrong Jones, same name as somone married into the royal family, can anyone throw some light on this, or did this Harrisons electrician marry into the royal family.

AndyJohannessen
16th June 2008, 19:38
Hi Harvey!
Do you remember a Tom Maddox? He is an ex Harrison Skipper and a member of our local model boat club.He has been building a model of tactician for the last two years...the Titannic took less time!

Pat Kennedy
16th June 2008, 20:37
Hi Harvey!
Do you remember a Tom Maddox? He is an ex Harrison Skipper and a member of our local model boat club.He has been building a model of tactician for the last two years...the Titannic took less time!

Its' working out how to rig that jumbo thats' causing the delay.
I was in that Tactician on a run job to Manchester, and we had to break out the Stulken while going up the canal. Its' a bloody monkey puzzle.
Pat

holland25
16th June 2008, 22:57
As the quote says T&J Harrisons was one of the larges companies in Liverpool, but when you start to look for information itís as though they never existed especially in Liverpool's maritime museum.
I worked for them for 8 years back in the 1970 as a enginer, and it was the best years of my life.

I sailed on the Speaker as my first ship as an R/O on my own in 1956/57.She was one of their Samboats, I joined her in Manchester,my home town, and was fascinated by the trip down the canal.

My first ship had been the Cunarder Parthia and I was constantly being told that my next ship would be a T&J,accompanied with tales of hunger and hard times. The reality was totally different.

The Speaker had just had a new radio fit out complete with R/T. I did two trips, one to South Africa and the other to the Caribbean. I was invited up to Mersey Chambers and shown plans for future radio installations and asked if I would like to do another trip on the Speaker. She was scheduled to go to India but I had heard such horrific stories about Calcutta that I declined.I watched the arrival of the new ships with interest, and often wondered if I had made a mistake in not taking up the offer to be one of their regular R/Os.

The Institute of Marine Engineers have a paper presented by Norman Swindells which covers the history of Harrisons, its a about 30 pages, and is well illustrated.

The following address,

http://www.imarest.org/publications/content/details.asp?ID=1

Will get you to the details, but you may have to register to get it.

Harvey Williams
17th June 2008, 22:18
Hi Harvey!

Hello Andy.
No I did,nt have the pleasure of sailing under Capt Maddox, but the name really does ring a bell. When I was on The Tactician we served under a Captain Erskine, lovely chap, did,nt bother you if the job was going well, the kind I liked. Which run were you on Andy, round the Cape or the Carribbean & Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia,( Rough old place that Santa Marta ) and the States of course. This was my favourite.
Harvey.

Harvey Williams
20th June 2008, 13:56
Hello Andy.
No I did,nt have the pleasure of sailing under Capt Maddox, but the name really does ring a bell. When I was on The Tactician we served under a Captain Erskine, lovely chap, did,nt bother you if the job was going well, the kind I liked. Which run were you on Andy, round the Cape or the Carribbean & Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia,( Rough old place that Santa Marta ) and the States of course. This was my favourite.
Harvey.

Kindly excuse my error, but Im afraid I got Skippers names mixed up, it was not of course Captain Erskine on board The Tactician but Captain Skelley,I was with Captain Erskine on board M.V. Urshalim, Im very sure a few T.J. Harrison men spotted my error, apologies again.
Harvey

graham phillips
16th April 2012, 22:09
any one remember my friends mel jones 2nd engineer,harry sayers 2nd eng,or cushy stroud pro 3rd eng,round about 1968 ,later mel was chief engineer with kuwait shipping graham phillips thats me i as junior eng

graham phillips
16th April 2012, 22:12
As the quote says T&J Harrisons was one of the larges companies in Liverpool, but when you start to look for information itís as though they never existed especially in Liverpool's maritime museum.

i served with them round that time as junior eng graham phillips

Tony Shaw
17th April 2012, 17:56
Yes, I was a little surprised that T & Js don't feature too heavily on the site. I did several deep sea trips with them on the "Novelist", "Strategist"(bulker) and the "Historian". I also did quite a spell with them relieving (Dad's Army) I put a thread on some time ago regarding this and the fascinating stories some of these old timers told. I was wondering whether anybody remembers any of the Army. I shouldn't think they have all 'crossed the bar' but I might be wrong. I suppose I'm still here but I was a youngish member !

Essjay
28th April 2012, 21:13
I was with T&J for a few years, as a deck hand/lamptrimmer and acting bosun. They where heavy on deck, but very efficient. Cannot remember any skippers, mates, 2nds or thirds etc. brain is scribbled. Was on the Astronomer, Barrister, Crofter, Diplomat and the brand new Explorer. Was in the lakes one trip, when the army, navy and airforce were in contention with each other, never found out who won. Politics South American style...(Gleam)

Steve

Peter Trodden
28th April 2012, 22:14
I sailed on a few "Apple Daddy Boats" All good runs and great crowds.
I was AB on,
Defender.-Jan,1958.
Interpreter-June,1958.
Biographer-March,-1960.
Barrister,-Sept,-1962.
If Charly Repp offered you a Harrison Boat in the Mann Is, Pool, Capt, Evans from T&J's office would check your Dis,Book before you got the Job.(Thumb)
ttfn. Peter.

Peter (Pat) Baker
29th April 2012, 19:58
Harvey Williams.

I remember Jimmy Reston very well indeed, as will anybody who spent
time with T&Js.
He had a remarkable gift of being able to think up the most ingenious
excuses for anybody that was in trouble (with the Mem-sahib etc.)

A really likeable man, always well dressed, softly spoken and friendly.

Pat Baker.

Essjay
29th April 2012, 20:09
I sailed on a few "Apple Daddy Boats" All good runs and great crowds.
I was AB on,
Defender.-Jan,1958.
Interpreter-June,1958.
Biographer-March,-1960.
Barrister,-Sept,-1962.
If Charly Repp offered you a Harrison Boat in the Mann Is, Pool, Capt, Evans from T&J's office would check your Dis,Book before you got the Job.(Thumb)
ttfn. Peter.

Capt Evans was the Marine Superintendent ( Me Thinks )

alan ward
30th April 2012, 11:36
I did a cape trip on the Adventurer,this was the voyage that convinced me I didn`t want to be a cargo purser anymore.My most vivid memory was of the 2/e brian getting knocked over by a wave on Durban beach and losing his false teeth.

A.D.FROST
30th April 2012, 16:08
The name say's it all(Whaaa)

loretto13
19th April 2014, 13:53
Hi there, would you have recollection of a ship called The Novelist please? thanks

kypros
19th April 2014, 15:00
Only just read this thread on Harrisons quite surprised at the comment of the company being sparsely represented in SN and also not very represented much in the Liverpool Maritime Museum.Why this should be the case is a mystery as Harrisons was possibly one of the few shipping companies to have its own private Museum in its head office situated at the back of The Strand by the Pier Head open to the public only by appointment.I know this because of trying to get some information on a relative of my wife who was lost as a sixteen year old in WW2 on a Harrison boat.The Museum was there until the late eighties at least when I made an enquiry I was informed it was handed over to the Liverpool Maritime Museum lock stock and barrel so to say.KYPROS

loretto13
19th April 2014, 18:21
Hi Tony, you mentioned the Novelist, would you have any pictures or info that I could get please? I'm trying to pull memorabilia together for my step-dad who is turning 70 this month. His name is Denis Malcolm Smith, originally from Liverpool. Any help appreciated! thanks