Cory Colliers

Trevorw
5th June 2006, 19:38
Can anyone help? I was on s.s. "Corfleet" from September to December, 1955 on the coal run from the Northeast to the Thames. I've managed to get the history (including demise) plus photograph of every ship I sailed on, but this one is proving difficult! Anyone have any info, or are able to signpost me?

Trevor Waddington

treeve
5th June 2006, 20:25
Is this yours?

ON 163484
CORFLEET Collier
Built 1934.
27th Nov 1938 RIMUTAKA collided with Cory collier CORFLEET off the Nore.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/CORY.html
http://www.plimsoll.org/OnTheLine/ShippingLines/corycolliers/fleetlist.asp?view=print

Best Wishes
Raymond

ruud
5th June 2006, 20:37
Ahoy,

Should/could be this one:

treeve
5th June 2006, 23:41
I wrote to Ted Finch and he kindly provided the following...

CORFLEET
1,803 g.t., 257ft x 39.5ft, engines aft, speed 10 knots. Built 1934 by S. P.
Austin & Son Ltd, Sunderland (Yard No.331) for Cory Colliers Ltd, London.
1946 Wm. Cory & Son Ltd, London.
1947 Concrete Maritime Ltd (Wm. Cory & Son)
1948 Cory Maritime Ltd.
1951 Wm. Cory & Son Ltd, London.
1959 ELIZA, L. D. & N. Nomicos, Piraeus.
1961 BRUCE M, Cia de Nav. Patricio Ltda, Beirut (Mooringwell Shipping Ltd,
Cardiff)
1965 GRACE, Quadros Cia. Naviera S. A., Beirut (A. Tountas & Co, Piraeus)
1969 scrapped at Perama.

Best Wishes
Raymond

thunderd
6th June 2006, 02:57
Trevor welcome to the site. As you can see from the responses so far they are a helpful and knowledgable crew. I hope you enjoy your membership.

tanker
6th June 2006, 09:53
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

Trevorw
6th June 2006, 11:15
Thanks everyone!

You have exceeded my wildest expectations - not only her full history, but a photograph as well!

I've been looking for this for 20 years!! (Applause) (Applause)

treeve
6th June 2006, 13:04
So, don't keep us in the dark, Trevor ....
which other ships were you on?
There may well be someone else out
there who is researching the same ships
you have ....

Best Wishes
Raymond

Hugh MacLean
6th June 2006, 19:45
Welcome aboard, Trevor. Enjoy the site. Results already I see. (Thumb)

Rgds

Trevorw
12th June 2006, 23:49
So, don't keep us in the dark, Trevor ....
which other ships were you on?
There may well be someone else out
there who is researching the same ships
you have ....

Best Wishes
Raymond
The list is enormous, but here goes!
1955 "Ariguani" Elders & Fyffes
1955 "Corfleet" Wm. Cory
55/56 "British Endurance" B.P. Tankers
"56 "Greathope", Newbiggin Shipping Co. (The worst ship I've ever sailed on - rusty, hungry & a floating disaster!)
"Avisbank" - No, not Bank Line, but Purvis Shipping Co. Another hulk - ex-empire ship carrying irone ore from Bone to Barrow.

"Pacific Northwest" Furness Withy. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Beautiful ship running to the West coast of the 'State and Canada - fabulous!

"El Mirlo" - Lobitos Oilfields, Peru. Absolute crap! White crew in focs'le accommodation! Average speed for the voyage from Venezuela to Isle of Grain - 7.4 knots!
1956-1965 Civilization at last! Joined Blue Funnel! Every ship a gem! Sailed on the following:-
"Bellerophon", "Diomed", "Breconshire", "Glengarry", "Antilochus", "Demodocus", "Machaon", "Agapenor", "Automedon", "Flintshire", "Melampus", "Menestheus",
"Glenfalloch" and finally, "Glenogle".

Without doubt, the finest ship I ever sailed on, by a country mile, was "Glenfalloch" - September '64 to August '65 - a brilliant ship!

Her 'photo holds pride of place in my Study!!

So there you go, Raymond - hope I haven't been too long winded?!

gdynia
13th June 2006, 12:05
Welcome to SN and enjoy your time onboard

R58484956
13th June 2006, 13:32
Welcome Trevor to the site, you certainly sailed on a few ships.

danube4
15th August 2006, 14:53
Any one interested in Cory's ships and Tankers?.
Try: www.photoship.co.uk/Old%20Ships/page2.html
22 Cory's ships and 4 pass Tankers.
Click C for ships. P for Tankers.
All the best.
Barney.

Alan G
2nd December 2007, 23:43
Hi Trevor

I was on the Avisfaith, she was also Purvis Shipping, and we where chartered to Fidel Castro to carry raw sigar from Cuba to China, N.Korea and Russia, and it was all in about 69, when the missile crisis thing was in full swing, if you have a picture of her I would be interested, I thought she might have had sister ships, "Hope" Faith" and Charity" but it looks like "bank, and yes I was Shanghaied on her, and what a movie that would make.

ALan

Trevorw
3rd December 2007, 15:20
I've got a picture of her somewhere - a bity rusty on the procedures for forwarding, but I'll have a go!

jimjim
5th January 2008, 12:39
There is a photograph of the S.S. Corfleet on the British Merchant Navy web site.

ruud
6th January 2008, 10:59
There is a photograph of the S.S. Corfleet on the British Merchant Navy web site.
Ahoy Jim,
If it's there,it's also here:(Thumb)
1st: courtesy/ Alex Duncan
2nd: courtesy/ John Clarkson

robs audi
23rd January 2008, 12:32
hi i was on the queensgarth, 1975, brilliant trip from imingham to the states, up the great lakes, then to glasgow where i paid off.

paul rennison
29th January 2008, 16:22
Has anyone got a photo of the Corbrae? I was A/S on her for a short while in 1965, N E Coast agreement, watch aboard / watch ashore, Blithe Colliery to Rochester power station, I used to get the weekly grub money from the old man & get the bus to the local shops to stock up. Happy days eh??
Paul

ruud
30th January 2008, 08:35
Ahoy Paul,
Not the best shot,probably a scan from a booklet[Portishead?],but nevertheless better then nothing.

paul rennison
30th January 2008, 16:12
Dank U wel ruud,
I had almost given up hope of finding one. I see from your masthead flag that you're in Holland, I sailed on the "Abbey" boats for a few years until their demise in 1972, many a good night in R'Dam, sometimes the only kip we used to get was with pataats & fritesaus!!
Thanks again
Paul

mike pen
9th May 2008, 22:12
hi trevor, i was on the cormaine 1962,coal from blyth to tate and lyle sugar refinery,silver town

mike pen
9th May 2008, 22:21
i was on the cormaine 1962,coal from blyth to tate and lyle sugar refinery at silver town,i remember an arab,abdul who was donkeyman,he never left the ship to go ashore,he used to get people to bring his tobacco back to him,smoked a pipe.

mike pen
18th May 2008, 16:28
sorry trev it should have spelt,cormain, and not cormaine.
mike pen

Nelson
6th June 2008, 10:22
I was on the "Corbeach" as R/O 1962/3

calvin
2nd July 2008, 21:30
my father was on corfoss and corfleet in the fifties.

mike pen
3rd July 2008, 09:40
dear calvin, i was only on the cormane a couple of months,blythe to tate and lyle,london,did,nt like all the coal dust,remember the donkeyman,an arab called abdul,who had been on the ship something like ten years,he hardly ever went ashore,think he told me he came from aden.cheers mike

David Menzies
3rd January 2009, 15:06
Hello. I did a few trips on the Corbank about 1962.
D.Menzies

WilliamH
9th January 2009, 08:32
For David Menzies
I was 3rd Eng on Corbank 1962-1963. Here are some names to jog your memory, Charlie Bennett, was Captain, Jimmy Gibson, was 2nd Eng, Nick Mountain was Bosun all from South Shields. The C/E was a guy called Zack, he was Polish but lived in London, his hobby was building model locomotives.

monty
10th January 2009, 13:50
Hi William H, I sailed with "Zack" on the Corchester from 68 to 73 His full name was Zozislaw Garstka. By the time I sailed with him he had given up modelling due to his eyesight going. I sailed on all B class except the Bank, joining the Burn as 3rd eng in 62 and left her in 68. Did a month as 2nd on the Corsea and a few chiefs jobs on the Brae & Beach. Got out just as they were selling the fleet. Good reliable engines the Polars. Just had a look at your profile and we were at Smiths Dock at the same time. I was apprentice electrician 54 to 59 and when I got my call up papers for the army I decided it was time to ship out, and I joined BP. British Holly a small 12000 tonner with a Doxford, then the British Curlew a Sultzer, and last the British Flag, from Middle docks, another Doxford. They were good times. Regards Peter Ross

WilliamH
11th January 2009, 07:58
Monty if you look in the gallery" members faces" you will find a photograph of some Smiths Docks aprentice fitters from the 1958 or 59, you might reconise some of them.

monty
11th January 2009, 19:13
Hello William, Thanks for pointing me in the direction of "Members Faces" I had not seen that part of the site before. Brian Sharpe on the pic is a lad I knocked about with when we were in our teens. Of course it was at that time when we all started travelling the seas. Thanks again Regards Peter

David Menzies
17th February 2009, 21:28
Suggest you contact the world ship society as they have good photographic records.
Dave Menzies
I was on the Corbank.

David Menzies
17th February 2009, 21:37
Suggest you contact the world ship society as they have good photographic records.
Dave Menzies
I was on the Corbank.
Hi.
Suggest you skim through the collier threads as there is a mention about 2006 of her.

David Menzies
27th March 2009, 22:52
(A) Have you tried contacting the World Ship Society as they sell a wide range of pictures. The expert is Roy Fenton.
Dave Menzies. I was on the Corbank.

R396040
12th April 2009, 19:49
Cory Colliers

I sailed on Corsound as A/S in mid fifties. She was a modern ship and OK but we ran to Gydnia in Poland which in those days was behind Red Curtain and it was real rough security wise, and WW2 Bomb damage still very much in evidence. Swopped shirts off our backs for beer I recall and newly introduced biro pens (Woolies) were another good bargainer. Entire crew including Master had to line up on deck on departure with Seamans cards opened at photograph whilst security men searched for stowaways, even prodding cargo holds (powdered coal) with bayonets in their search. Cargo discharged at Ipswich power station.
Memories eh ?
Stuart H

peggy2ab
13th May 2013, 20:27
was deckboy on corfen 1960 never clean in five weeks went deep sea and never back on the coast

ninabaker
13th May 2013, 22:13
When I was a kid we lived in a house that faced Battersea Power Station across the river and I fondly recall watching the flatiron colliers come and go there, from my bedroom window.
I cannot in all honesty say they were the ships that inspired me to go to sea bu at least I was seeing ships almost every day as a kid, which hardly anyone in Britain can do nowadays.

N.R.HOLMES
14th July 2013, 15:21
Went down the Med 5o/51 in the CORMOUNT,B

N.R.HOLMES
14th July 2013, 15:48
Went down the Med 50/51 in the Cormount, Sailed from BLYTHE to Barcelona with coal I think at the time it was not a common trip for Cory,s colliers It was my first foreign port and was so excited, she was also my first ship but had been on her a while on the coastal trade. Left Spain for N. Africa bunkered in Algiers (coal) then to a dump I think was called Port Breira a big rock with a cable car system from god knows where and a conveyor belt coming out of a hole in the rock Paid off in Hartlepool. A great ship and crew but looking back on it we lived rough and ready but at 15/16 thought I was the bees knees and realy enjoyed the whole thing. Spain was very different in those days. Franco.

N.R.HOLMES
14th July 2013, 16:00
Also years later took one of their brand new deep sea tankers from S/Shields to Falmouth to lay her up I think it was the Corhampton. HORRIBLE run job took five trains and quite a few hours to get home. Looked like a gang of D.B.S.'S.

expats
22nd July 2013, 21:45
I joined the 'Corbeach' as a relief in Oct 1971 (Swansea) and left her a month later in Yarmouth...
I remember litlle about her or her crew...

beedeesea
30th January 2014, 13:22
I have posted a couple of crew photos from Corbeach in the Members Faces section of the gallery.

Brian