Fernie

david smith
14th September 2004, 16:27
Bulk Carrier Fernie departing Rotterdam in Hain-Nourse colours before being merged into P&O Bulk Shipping Division. Built 1967 42,446tg

Ian Dickinson
28th September 2005, 13:02
Sailed on FERNIE as an Engineer Cadet, Junior and 4th Engineer. Chief engineer was Pete Chapman who came from Plymouth. Easily the best ship that I sailed on.

Doxfordman
29th September 2005, 02:25
Never had the pleasure of the Fernie, but did enjoy Jedforest, Maynell and various G's.

Landour
2nd October 2005, 22:30
Likewise I never got sent to the Fernie but sailed on the Eridge as a first trip Engineer Cadet in 1972. Was not a happy ship and nearly turned me from a career at sea.

Doxfordman
3rd October 2005, 10:00
Landour, thats not good. Did you stay with BSD as it turned out to be? Most of them were bloody good, certainly after some of the GCD and NZS ships, although a good was had by all in thoses day, wasn't it?

Landour
5th October 2005, 12:05
Stayed with BSD until 1980 sailing mainly on steam ships, Busiris, Malloja, Ottawa, Talamba, various Ard's, Lauderdale, LNG Challenger (and later as the Pollenger) before joining P&O Ferries in Dover. Finally stopped going to sea in 1987 but still retain links in present employment.

Doxfordman
5th October 2005, 21:56
Like wise, I hung up me boots and shifter in 1982, finished my time on the G's carrying LPG. Now in tech management ashore.

Ian Dickinson
13th October 2005, 12:23
Also was unfortunate to sail on the Eridge. I was told by the 2nd to start up one of the generators only to find that the previous watch had started to carry out maintenance and had loosened all the cylinder head bolts.

Doxfordman
16th October 2005, 09:58
Must have been interesting?

Lowrey Bell
19th November 2005, 10:32
Fernie I stood by whilst being built in Japan as 2nd Engineer. She had a major fire in accommodation top two decks just before delivery. Very quickly repaired by the Builders. Maurice Asplett was Chief Engineer. I took over from him in 1967 approx. Fine vessel and a happy ship. When was she broken up? By the way I thought she was 72,000 tons! I have quite a few photographs whilst being built.

Lowrey Bell

R58484956
19th November 2005, 12:34
Welcome aboard Lowrey (Chief) you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity,most of us left years ago but our minds are still there. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it.

ruud
26th July 2006, 15:33
Ahoy,

Here the Eridge [the dreadful]so called by a few of our members.(Read)

Jim Cobban
26th July 2006, 16:28
I joined the Fernie in Rotterdam as 2nd Mate 23rd Dec 1973. The photograph must have been taken at this time as I seem to remember we were stillhanging in as Hain Nourse. A happy ship.

ruud
26th July 2006, 17:51
I joined the Fernie in Rotterdam as 2nd Mate 23rd Dec 1973. The photograph must have been taken at this time as I seem to remember we were stillhanging in as Hain Nourse. A happy ship.Ahoy Jim,
Haven't a clue when this one[Eridge] was taken, no sources at all, completely unknown for me.Sorry mate.

david smith
26th July 2006, 18:39
The Fernie pic was taken by me in January 1972

John Tremelling
16th August 2006, 21:41
Interesting to see the comment re Eridge. I was an apprentice on her from June to November 67, she was happy enough then.

Thanks for the photo RUUD

John Trem

ruud
17th August 2006, 05:36
Bulk Carrier Fernie departing Rotterdam in Hain-Nourse colours before being merged into P&O Bulk Shipping Division. Built 1967 42,446tgAhoy David,
Here a shot of her taken early '70[Rotterdam area],in b/w photo[card 9x14]and almost 35 yrs old.

Grandad
10th July 2007, 20:35
I was on the Fernie sometime in '72 as deck cadet... the memory ain't quite what it was but I do remember visiting Dampier in Oz and that Dampiers' claim to fame was having 500 single men and two single women. I also remember that they (the Dampians) were very proud of their steak sandwiches and that I often wished I'd kept one for re-soling my boots.

I think it was on the Fernie that I gained the nickname "Bonehead" (a long story) and it was on the Fernie that Mark, Dave and I worked on "The Payoff Song"

"Packed my bags, Packed my grip,
I ain't comin' back next trip,
Bye Bye Fernie"
(Sung to the tune of 'Bye 'Bye Blackbird and going on for numerous verses most of which were quite rude.)

I found a cassette tape (now 35 years old) a couple of years ago of us singing it and it brought back memories!

SonofCaptainSmith
17th April 2012, 20:50
Hello to all,

I have just joined. My late father was a seaman for many years, and as a youngster in the 1970's my mother and I would sail to Le Havre and join my dad on the P&O MV Fernie many times. He was the Captain at the time. Is this the same ship by chance?

I have a load of my fathers old photos going back to his merchant navy days and will, in time, get around to uploading them as you, like me, may have relatives that served on these ships.

All the best,

Chris

garry Norton
17th April 2012, 21:21
Sailed on Fernie as CH/Off Doha to Rotterdam, loaded in Port Elizabeth. On the way to South Africa had some storm damage which was repaired in Port Elizabeth.The ship in ballast had stability problems.

gordon bryson
2nd August 2012, 11:48
The Fernie pic was taken by me in January 1972
Fernie was my first ship, I joined her in January 1972 in Rotterdam. I was a very green junior radio officer, especially on the 2nd day at sea. I eventually got my sea legs.

slick
2nd August 2012, 19:32
I was in Atherstone in 1968, a terrific ship a great crowd. it did not prepare me for the Trewidden, a nightmare of a voyage the Old Man went missing over the side, off to greener pastures after that.

Yours aye,
slick

John Adamson
19th October 2012, 20:23
Hi Slick

I sailed on the Atherstone as my last trip as a Cadet before going on to MAR at King Teds. I joined the Atherstone in Rotterdam, January 68 paying off in March.
Regarding the Trewidden, that was Captain Reilly that went missing? I had sailed with him a year before on the Nurmahal. I had two long exchanges of e-mails on another forum with Reilly's neice and nephew who were trying to find out information on their uncle.

John

StevieH4
4th November 2013, 08:44
Sailed as Deck Cadet in 1972 Steve Petch, Capt McDonald, 7 months trip

StevieH4
4th November 2013, 08:50
Sailed on the MV Fernie, MV Opawa, & MV Jedforest in the early 70's. Twice round the world thanks to P&O BSD. I was then Steve Petch, Navigation Cadet.
I am now Steve Hunter due to personnel reasons and live in Sanya City Hainan China.

Pompeyfan
7th November 2013, 09:41
Steve

Firstly, on behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

I have deleted your e-mail address as per site policy for your security. Members can contact you via the sites Private Message system. You can then disclose your e-mail address if you so wish.

gordon bryson
9th November 2013, 08:53
Sailed on the MV Fernie, MV Opawa, & MV Jedforest in the early 70's. Twice round the world thanks to P&O BSD. I was then Steve Petch, Navigation Cadet.
I am now Steve Hunter due to personnel reasons and live in Sanya City Hainan China.

Hi Steve, I remember sailing with you on Fernie - joined in Rotterdam jan 1972 -sailed to tuberao, Brazil, then Kimitsu near Yokohama, then Dampier in Aussi where I got pissed with engineer cadet James MacGregor and almost jumped ship (fortunately we sobered up and realized a silly idea) then back to Rotterdam. I was a 1st trip junior R/O and usually beat you at table tennis in the room next door to the bar. According to my discharge book the old man was Capt. John V. Wallace, a very descent bloke from Kent.
I was with marconi and left a year later joining Safmarine then P & O passenger division for 2 years then more years freelancing, 9 years in total. Now retired and live in Devon.
Nice to see your name in print.
Best regards,
Gordon Bryson