RFA Fort Dunvegan and Fort Providence

douglasjamesmichael
7th June 2006, 21:24
Hi

My late father served as an Engineer on the above vessels - do any members out there have photos of the above ships?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Lancastrian
8th June 2006, 07:26
A picture of Fort Dunvegan can be found at www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/auxiliaries.htm , and two at www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMforts.htm .
Can find no trace of Fort Providence, so she probably wasnt an RFA.
For RFA ships and people of old - try www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMindex.htm

Ballina Bill
15th July 2013, 04:14
Hi

My late father served as an Engineer on the above vessels - do any members out there have photos of the above ships?

Thanks in advance

Doug

I have a photo of the "Fort Providence" in Whang Po harbour in Shanghai. My father B.M. Smith served 2nd engineer (refrig.) from 19/4/1944
-28/8/1945. Discharged and repatriated from Sydney on that date.
Bill Moore.

Rozzer
20th July 2013, 10:55
Fort Dunvegan's service history together with one image can be found at http://www.historicalrfa.org/rfa-fort-dunvegan-ship-information

"Lecky"
25th July 2013, 16:24
A picture of Fort Dunvegan can be found at www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/auxiliaries.htm , and two at www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMforts.htm .
Can find no trace of Fort Providence, so she probably wasnt an RFA.
For RFA ships and people of old - try www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMindex.htm
YES THE FORT BOATS,
Lecky

Ballina Bill
26th July 2013, 03:30
Please if anyone can help me out again with the SS. Arawa: Shaw Savill G.T. 14462. Built 1922. I have seen it listed as R.F.A. and H.M.S. as well as S.S. I have the log from the National Archives and it corresponds to my fathers seamans papers.
R. 281943. It also conforms to the locations my father told me of when I was young. There is also an entry:"Returned from naval commision service", but the date is obscure. There is also a page encircled with " On special service" 1941 onwards. Much of the second half of the log has a change in the person entering and is rather illegible. I have seen records of it being listed as a W.S. ship I.E. Winston Special convoy. This could allude to the special service entry. The ship is included in the "Armed Merchantman class. in R.N. records. Any further advice or information will be much appreciated.
Thanks Bill Moore.

Ballina Bill
26th July 2013, 03:33
In general, how do up upload photos?

douglasjamesmichael
14th April 2014, 13:13
I have a photo of the "Fort Providence" in Whang Po harbour in Shanghai. My father B.M. Smith served 2nd engineer (refrig.) from 19/4/1944
-28/8/1945. Discharged and repatriated from Sydney on that date.
Bill Moore.

Bill
My late father was also onboard at the same time - he joined at Burrard Dry dock in Vancouver after traveling from Halifax NS via Montreal then by train to Vancouver.
Do you have a copy of the photo. If so may I have a copy
Many thanks
Dougie