Port Caroline

david smith
14th September 2004, 16:34
Two pics of this ship, laid up at Royal Portbury Dock, Avonmouth, and at Piraeus.

Fairfield
14th September 2004, 20:10
Port Caroline at anchor, Piraeus and laid up in Royal Portbury Dock, Bristol. Built 1968 16,283tg Ren Matra 1982
Remember she and PORT CHALMERS well when they were building at Stephen/s.Were the largest reefers in the world if I remember rightly.

tanker
15th September 2004, 15:19
I was young in 1966 when this two reefers were built.
I think they were broken up in 1983-4 as GOLDEN DOLPHIN and GOLDEN GLORY under greek flag.

Fairfield
15th September 2004, 20:44
I was young in 1966 when this two reefers were built.
I think they were broken up in 1983-4 as GOLDEN DOLPHIN and GOLDEN GLORY under greek flag.
They were indeed.god ships for their day.

flyer682
20th November 2004, 10:52
Do you have the dates for when the photos were taken?
I had no idea she was ever laid up at Bristol - thought she was always sent to the River Fal for that.

david smith
20th November 2004, 12:07
The first was taken at Piraeus in June 1972, the second is more difficult. I visited Avonmouth many times with Shaw Savill, PSNC and Cairn Line. It may be that the ship was laying by waiting for the lambing season in New Zealand, not necessarily at the end of her working life. All I can say is that it was sometime after the opening of Royal Portbury dock and her renaming in 1982!

flyer682
20th November 2004, 21:37
Sorry David but it can't be the Port Caroline. She was in NZ in June 1972. Could it possibly be the Port Chalmers as she was up that way around that time - she left Liverpool for NZ in late July.

david smith
20th November 2004, 22:51
Well I'm flummoxed.
I took this photo whilst at anchor on the mv Illyric waiting for the berth at Piraeus.
It is the Port Caroline.
It was June 1972, my journal - something Cadets were "suggested" to keep - details.
??????

flyer682
20th November 2004, 23:29
So I am flummoxed too!!!!!!!
I am looking at sailing schedules taken from the Port records and newspaper shipping columns. Here's her schedule:
Melbourne May 30
Wellington 1300 04 Jun 07 0500
Lyttelton 1713 07 Jun 10 1940
Bluff 11 Jun 21
Port Chalmers 0815 22 Jun 25 1430
Dublin ETA 21 July
Liverpool ETA 28 July

Unfortunately, there was nothing about them that distinguished one from the other - even the names were the same length !!!

John Rogers
21st November 2004, 00:07
The name Bristol is a little mis-leading,no ship of that size could ever sail up the Avon to Bristol.
Still they are great looking ships. I sailed on the Port Wyndham 1953-1954 out of Avonmouth across the river from Portbury dock.

John Rogers
21st November 2004, 00:12
After looking at the pictures again,to me the terrain features do not look like Portishead/Portbury dock, I lived in the area and I dont remember any hills like that.

flyer682
21st November 2004, 10:06
Two photos of the "Port Caroline" at Timaru, New Zealand. The first taken early January 1970 and the second in May 1977.

david smith
21st November 2004, 11:20
I have re-scanned the photo, and it is the Port Caroline and you can pick out the greek flag. I also went to Piraeus on 17/9/80 27/9/80 17/10/80 25/10/80 and 15/1/80
but do not remember going to the anchorage.

flyer682
21st November 2004, 22:43
Well, you've established that it is definitely the "Port Caroline". I've confirmed that she was in NZ in June 1972. All we need now is to confirm a date! I have no records of her movements between May 1980 (when she left Napier for 'sea') until her renaming as "Matra" in late 1981. She appears to be in a ballast condition, so perhaps a call for bunkers?

Perks
4th July 2005, 17:22
Just found this site and decided to look up my first trip. I was 2nd electrician, deep sea, on the Port Caroline, joining in Liverpool, Sept 1971. I can confirm that she was not in Greece in 1972. That must have been the Port Chalmers. The only way of telling the difference between the two was the gangway lowered for'd on one and aft on the other. Now all I have to do is remember which was which. Great site. I also sailed on the Port Nicholson, Port New Plymouth and the Port Auckland. (after she was converted to a Sheep Carrier.)

Pat McCardle
4th July 2005, 20:23
Remember she and PORT CHALMERS well when they were building at Stephen/s.Were the largest reefers in the world if I remember rightly.

Largest conventional built ship reefers

sandman
4th July 2005, 20:58
Ithink it was the port chalmers laid up in portbury,also their were the moreton and Encounter bay,and a couple of greek,one was the Maritsa p Lemos,but could not remember the others.
I did take some photos of the ships laid up when we used to run up into the city docks on the Dredgers,but I think I have now mislaid these photos now. I also remember another port line ship laid up the same time,not sure if it was the Port Nicholson.But this was in the early 80's.

stevevincent1974
22nd January 2006, 05:32
I seen the golden dolphin layed up in the fal estury in 1983 she was named the "matra"
when she arrived but had a name change later in her stay i beleve she left the fal early 1984.

KevinR
15th February 2006, 18:32
I sailed on the Chalmers and Caroline as C/Engr., and made a model of the Chalmers while serving aboard. The model is to a scale of 1/96, making it around 4'-0 long, it lives in my hallway, with several other large models. If anyone is interested, I can e-mail some photos (files too large to show here) Model is to exhibition standard, exactly as per fullsize.

Bill Olaman
15th February 2006, 19:37
Port Caroline was in the Tyne just along from the bridge August/Sept 1973. All of the hatch freezer lockers were removed to make the hatches more flush for pallatised cargoes. Just passed my 2nd Mates ticket and promoted to 3rd Mate on board. No security as we were alongside what is now the "fun place in Europe" - the Quayside. More trouble from the local "Ladies of the night" than from anybody else.

david smith
15th February 2006, 20:50
Were you complaining?

Tassie
16th February 2006, 00:48
According to the Port Line section of the Red Duster web site, link attached, the Port Caroline was laid up in the River Fal in 1982.....I quote...
"In 1982 she was transferred to T & J Brocklebank, along with her sister, and renamed Matra (4) but was immediately laid up again in the River Fal."

http://www.red-duster.co.uk/PORT9.htm

Both the Chalmers and Caroline were broken up in 1985. The web site gives details of all Port Line ships as well as many other british compainies.
Regards....Bill Burton....Tassie.

waiwera
4th March 2006, 18:13
Can anybofy tell me if Port Line Shipps continued to carry the "12" passengers - right up to the end?

flyer682
5th March 2006, 05:05
I think so. When PORT NEW PLYMOUTH sailed from Timaru in June 1978 for the UK, she had a full complement of pax aboard.

christopher.ryan1
30th October 2006, 12:41
Two photos of the "Port Caroline" at Timaru, New Zealand. The first taken early January 1970 and the second in May 1977.
For your imformation i was an AB on the Port New Plymouth from march until sept in 1975 and we were in Timaru with the Caroline in about july or august.

mkitt
30th October 2006, 19:50
For what it's worth, I paid off the Port Chalmers in the Fal on 13 July 1981 after signing on originally in in Jeddah on 10 April. The trip took us to Odessa for what seemed like for ever and then through the Suez Canal to Cape Town for apples (?). Then via Sheerness to the Fal for lay-up. "Dorothy" Ward was Old Man. (Photo in my gallery of the canal transit).

Keith W
13th April 2007, 07:27
(K) I sailed on these numerous times over the 1974 - 1979 period, I was on the "wife on an ocean wave" trip in 1975 when I brought my kiwi wife back to the UK from Mt Maunganui ( along with about 8 other wifes and a full compliment of pax ). I was 2nd & Ch Elec - by far the most memorable ships from my time at sea - just wish I had taken more photos . . .

masthead
19th May 2007, 11:06

hi I was on the port caroline in the fifst picture . we spent xmas and new year in timaru and had a great time with the coast girls signed off feb in in kgv.

smoggy
30th March 2008, 22:22
can anyone remember a ab called charlie who was with port line in the 70s,he was known as a bit of a character who used to bronzie in the nude on the poop deck?any memories of him would be wellcome.we also had a bosun nicknamed steam on deck,i believe he was on the port st lawrence allthough my memory is quite vague nowadays.

Rinrada
21st March 2009, 22:44
We sure built them well.
I never sailed on the Caroline or Chalmers but happy to say I was an Apprentice Electrician in Stephens where we built and fitted them out in...around 1967-68.....beautiful ships.

Pat McCardle
22nd March 2009, 10:42
Was 'Steam on Deck' named Nicholson from South Uist?

yamaha yr5
12th May 2009, 20:59
yes ,i sailed on the port chalmers 1971.Great ship ,and crew,all the way down to bluff,Timaru,i would do it all over again ,fond memories.

PeterHarper
1st June 2009, 16:27
Didn't know about the gangways lowering in opposite directions, but one other "distinguishing" feater was the Port Caroline had black blocks atop the derricks, whereas Port Chalmers' block were painted the same colour as the derrick booms. Server on Port Chalmers in 1970 and actually spotted Port Caroline (thru the black painted blocks) from an Australian P-3 Orion whilst on patrol over somewhere to the north west of Aus

MASTERFRITH
14th June 2009, 22:30
I sailed with the bosun (steam on deck) on the Port St Lawrence in 1971,he was a great man,he would walk along the deck dragging is size 10 or 11 boot's shouting at somebody usualy me and the other (peggy) I always kept on his good side made sure is dinner and tea were kept ready for him not burnt or cold,just right.Great times.If i remmember right the gangway on the Port Caroline faced aft,always remmember that gangway because it was a two section one which made ours look small,the crew's bar was in the aft end.

dadsship
30th June 2009, 16:48
does anyone know where i can find a crew list for the port caroline from 1968-73 ??? i belive my father 'george michael landels' was onboard but would like to find out for sure.
thanks

Don Meehan
2nd July 2009, 11:08
Have a look at www.bluestarline.org and clink the link to crewlists. You will find crew lists for Port Line as well as Blue Star as published in the magazines put out by the joint management company. Only the officers are included.

mark1610
22nd July 2009, 01:27
I was a deck sprog on the Caroline and took a load of cars from Southampton to Colombo in early 1980 before going to NZ to Napier, Timaru and Bluff for a full cargo of Lamb and Tallow for Novorossysyk in the Black Sea. Cliff White was the old man and Mike Thwaite was the mate. What great days they were. 6 weeks discharging!!!

Mark

dadsship
14th July 2011, 16:15
hi all ... i hope some one can help me , im looking to get as much infomation about port caroline as possible ie, crew lists ,and sailing dates and places she docked during the late 60's and early 70's.
my father george landels was on board at that time and is coming up for retirement next year and id like to make a book of all the places he traveled while aboard .
any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

dadsship
14th July 2011, 18:57
So I am flummoxed too!!!!!!!
I am looking at sailing schedules taken from the Port records and newspaper shipping columns. Here's her schedule:
Melbourne May 30
Wellington 1300 04 Jun 07 0500
Lyttelton 1713 07 Jun 10 1940
Bluff 11 Jun 21
Port Chalmers 0815 22 Jun 25 1430
Dublin ETA 21 July
Liverpool ETA 28 July

Unfortunately, there was nothing about them that distinguished one from the other - even the names were the same length !!!

hi
do you have any more info about port chalmers on the voyage you are talking about ?? acording to the crew lists my father was on this ship july 72 and oct 72..

gray-h
20th December 2011, 11:04
Anyone remember Andy? He was an engineer (maybe a 3rd or 2nd) on the Caroline and some other Port Line ships. He was from Timaru in New Zealand and was on the Caroline during the 1970's.

He just recently passed away. I'm his son and I'm researching my fathers life and would be keen for any information or memories.

Cheers

Graham.

Tyne Turbine
25th November 2012, 03:33
hi all ... i hope some one can help me , im looking to get as much infomation about port caroline as possible ie, crew lists ,and sailing dates and places she docked during the late 60's and early 70's.
my father george landels was on board at that time and is coming up for retirement next year and id like to make a book of all the places he traveled while aboard .
any info would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

As a new member I have just come across this thread amd after all this time your request has probably been satisfied with information elsewhere. Just in case you are still trying to fill in some gaps here is a picture of the Port Caroline alongside in Glasgow shortly before completion on 30th August, 1968:

Tony Geeves
25th November 2012, 04:46
I flew out to Aden to join the Port Caroline in Nov. '77 and paid off in Avonmouth inMar. '78. I signed on her again in Falmouth Dec. 79, where she had been laid up, and paid off in Istanbul in Apr. '80. She had a lovely crew bar in the poop.

Neil Mant
10th November 2013, 18:24
I joined the Port Chalmers on my first trip in Hull 10th Nov 1977. Hull Roterdam to Tilbury then out to the red sea paying off in Glasgow early 78. I went back to the Chalmers not sure when but we were on the anchor for ages at Falmouth the ship had changed the whole of the stern were crew bar was had been blocked off I never found out why don't suppose anyone knows we had to use the po's bar. good days gone

dsross
18th November 2013, 20:29
I have just joined the forum: I worked on both the Port Caroline and Chalmers as an Appretice Engineer installed and chocked up the engines and did all the spare gear for the engine room,also went on both sea trials ahh memories

PeterMoore
27th July 2014, 12:15
Just seen this forum.
I was 2nd Mate on the Caroline in 1979 and then joined her again in 1982 as Mate, when she changed over to Indian crew and became the Matra.
I did a dry dock in Shields when I managed to make an Indian crew go on strike...