Bibby Line

Pages : [1] 2

DerekT
8th June 2006, 19:09
Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT

LEEJ
9th June 2006, 11:29
Hi, I started with Bibbys as deckboy on the Hampshire and then the Devonshire in 78. Quite a few of those lads ended up lost on the Derbyshire. Often think how the decision to leave may have saved my life. I had even tried getting back to Bibbys when work was hard to come by but they turned bandit on me and just wouldnt give me a start.

Stuart.Henderson
9th June 2006, 14:23
Hi Derek
Iwas on Herefordshire, Wiltshire and Yorkshire during 68 - 70 as AB or QM/AB.

Regards
Stuart

DerekT
9th June 2006, 23:10
Hi LEEJ and Stuart,

Well its good to know there are some Bibby liners out there, I started in Bibbs as 3/0 on Shropshire, then Gloucestershire, but my favourite time was on the Toronto City and Coventry City, some great ports and runs all over the place. We also had a couple of really good football teams on those two ships and upheld the pride of the merch many times. Unfortunately my memory of the names of the guys I sailed with on those ships has slipped away.
Yes I have sometimes thought about Derbyshire and knew or sailed with some of the people on board, and I too have often wondered if I might have been on that ship if I hadn't left in 73, as all my latter time was spent on the bulkers.

Brgds
DerekT

Pat McCardle
9th June 2006, 23:34
DerekT. See picture gallery & enter Toronto City! You will see Her launch in Sunderland. Legend has it my Father built Her...............With the help of a few others. (EEK)

al mac
20th June 2006, 03:09
Hi there
One more Bibby Liner here! Joined as Gadget 1989, 3/O 1992 - 1995 (Lincolnshire, Staffordshire, Cheshire, also Baltic Eider and Baltic Tern for AWSL, and Belard for IoMSP/Manin Line), 2/O 1995 - 1997 (Cheshire, Staffordshire, Belard, Baltic Eider, Baltic Tern), C/O 1997 - 2000 (Staffordshire, Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire, Eupen for Exmar and Steven N).

Left 2000 to go work on a 5 Star cruise ship!

All the best

Alick

Forgot the unforgettable Shropshire (Jap built Chem Tanker) as Gadget. Tut tut.... (*))

trotterdotpom
20th June 2006, 14:44
Does anyone remember a Bibby Line Purser called Leather (lived in Childwall, Liverpool)?

John T.

Hillview
20th June 2006, 20:15
I joined the Worcestershire in Tilbury for my first trip to sea in June 1960 and then the Shropshire.
The Wocestershire had a long life even after being torpedoed and repaired, a very strong Fairfields ship.
Her engines were originally blast injection but were converted to the archalouf system and had many dreary hours freeing the gas pistons.

S Fraser
5th July 2006, 10:55
I went to sea with Brocklebanks as a deck apprentice in 1961 and one of my school friends John Hogarth served his time with PSNC moving on to Bibby Line.
Lost touch with him, but think he stayed with Bibby for many years. Any sightings?

Tracey Jones (Scully)
6th July 2006, 12:16
Hi to everyone,

My brother John Scully sailed with Bibby on the Devonshire in 1983, he was on that trip with Freddie Brown, anyone remember John or Freddie?.
Nigel Malpass also sailed with Bibby, a very kind man, he sailed on Devonshire in 83 also, he was the Master but he also sailed on a number of other ships for Bibby.
All the best,

Tracey.

al mac
6th July 2006, 13:46
Hi Tracey

Just a wee update for you, Nigel Malpass went on to be the MD for Bibby (Isle of Man). After Bibby's went offshore in '84, everyone was reemployed through this Isle of Man company. I joined Biby's in 1989, and up until i left in 2000, he was still there going strong.

Alick

Tracey Jones (Scully)
6th July 2006, 14:32
Hi Alick,

Thank you for the info.
I made contact with Nigel in 2002 and have kept in contact.
He and his wife Gill started their own business a little while back. He was very kind in supplying me with a lot of information I needed, I found him to be a very genuine man who helped me such a lot.

Kind regards,

Tracey.

Richard Green
6th July 2006, 17:34
Hi Tracey,
Since we spoke about Bibby's I thought I'd post the photos for you. Perhaps you can supply the details...

Tracey Jones (Scully)
6th July 2006, 19:28
Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting the photo's on the Bibby thread.
The above photo's posted by Richard on my behalf are of my brother John Scully when he was on the Devonshire in 1983 (later renamed the Hemera). Does anyone remember him or Freddie Brown from this ship. The last I heard of Freddie he was living in Liverpool but I've yet to find him after searching for years.
I have the crew list for the Devonshire for the time John was on board and I haven't found one person from it.
Devonshire was the only ship John sailed on for Bibby but he sailed on quite a few for BP and also Luxor, Harpalycus, Empress of England the Roland and Tectus.
He celebrated his 32nd birthday on Devonshire in June 83 and he mentions in a letter home a John Brown who was on board, (no relation to Freddie).
Hoping to hear from anyone who may have sailed on Devonshire at the time John was on board or from anyone who may have sailed on the other ships and from anyone who may remember Freddie who was CPO on Devonshire in 83.
The Master on Devonshire at the time was Paul Askew who had taken over from Nigel Malpass wo'd left to bring in another ship for Bibby. Some time after 83 Paul Askew left by mutual agreement with Bibby I believe.

Kind regards,

Tracey.

ruud
26th July 2006, 11:55
Ahoy,

Found this old piccie of the Coventry City 1966:

A.G.Greenwood
26th July 2006, 18:35
Hi Derek T,
When were you with Brocks and what ships were you on. I was with them from 1957 - 61, also Deck Apprentice & 4/o.
Tony Greenwood

sparksatsea
24th September 2006, 21:23
Sailed with Bibby Line from 1975 until 1985 as Radio Officer on the following
vessels:

Ocean Bridge / Dart America / Berkshire / Lancashire [cargo] / Lincolnshire
Hampshire / Devonshire / Staffordshire / and lastly the good old Wiltshire.

Really enjoyed my time at sea, pity one cannot turn the clock back.

Masirah
26th September 2006, 13:48
Hi guys

Seems about time we had a Bibby Line Forum. I joined in March 68 and left in April 1970. Voyage details below.

Staffordshire 25 mar 68 to 08 apr 68, Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Herefordshire 02 may 68 to 24 May 68 Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Pacific Bridge 14 jun 68 to 13 oct 68 Rotterdam to Rotterdam as 3rd mate
Pacific Bridge 14 oct 68 to 25 nov 69 Rotterdam to Amsterdam as 2nd Mate
Atlantic Bridge 01 mar 69 to 20 aug 69 Amsterdam to Rotterdam as 2nd Mate
Yorkshire 08 dec 69 to 21 mar 70 Birkenhead to Birkenhead (CSAV) as 2nd Mate.
Shropshire 24 mar 70 to 13 apr 70 Rotterdam to Birkenhead CSAV Coast) as 2nd Mate.

I joined primarly because of my bulk carrier experiance, good trips they were with good people but finished up with a trip to South America because a BoT examiner could not add up. Not that I minded it was another intresting voyage with goo memories to places I had not been before. It was nice to do a bit of general cargo which I had not done since leaving Brocks.

If any one has any memories of these ships during the times I was on them I would be delghted to here from them.

Michael Meredith

Tracey Jones (Scully)
29th September 2006, 11:05
Hi Everyone,

After searching for Freddie Brown for a very long time, I have now found him. It has been with the help and encouragement from people on the many MN sites I have posted messages on that I have been able to do this and I would like to thank Richard for posting the photies of John on here for me and for all his encouragement when I felt like giving up. You're a star Richard!

Best wishes to all,

Tracey.

Roger Bentley
1st October 2006, 17:10
Hello, I commenced my seagoing career with the Bibby Line as a very junior and young R/O, actually sailing for Korea on my 17th birthday 12 October 1950 on the trooper Lancashire. Then did three trips on the Cheshire to Australia, before joining the Lancashire again after getting my first class ticket. Ended up deep sea as 2R/O on the old Derbyshire with the great Frank Bardy as my chief. I left to join Brocklebanks in early 1954. Can't say i particularly enjoyed my time with Bibbys, there were only a few ships and quite a few of the senior staff in the deck department felt that time was slipping by before they got commands, although I understand things changed dramatically later on and they the company was still going strong when Brocks finished. Don't suppose anyone will remember me! Regards, Roger Bentley

jim barnes
3rd October 2006, 16:40
Never sailed with Bibby's but could have i suppose, i was in the TS INDEFATIGABLE when Frank Bibby used to come to visit the school(one of the main sponsors) he used to always speak to the ships company and end by asking "and how many of you will be joining Bibby Line? three? two? one? aah well maybe next time" don't know if any of us did leave and join the Bibby

Keith Adams
16th February 2007, 04:20
Hello again to Jim Barnes! ...you helped me in the past and perhaps you can help now... How do we get a Bibby Line, and for that matter a PSNC, Harrison and Canadian Pacific included in the listing instead of having to go to other ships? They were major lines and should have a place of their own and not lumped with 'Other"!
I don't yet know enough to get them listed... help! Snowy

ruud
17th February 2007, 09:40
Ahoy,
For all you Bibby's,here the TORONTO CITY 1966,she looked good to me.

Anderskane
19th February 2007, 00:12
Hello again to Jim Barnes! ...you helped me in the past and perhaps you can help now... How do we get a Bibby Line, and for that matter a PSNC, Harrison and Canadian Pacific included in the listing instead of having to go to other ships? They were major lines and should have a place of their own and not lumped with 'Other"!
I don't yet know enough to get them listed... help! Snowy

hello Snowy, thanks for your interest, my PM was in relation to above query. regards Ken

Dick S
2nd March 2007, 07:15
Hi all,
served my time as Deck cadet with Bibbys from 66 to 71. My last trip was on the Rangoon run when Captain Sheldrake died and we buried him at sea, his wife was sailing with him at he time. I seemed to spend most of my time on the Rangoon run so I left to go 'on the Pool' for a more exciting time - and I got it!(Bill Fooley - christened me senior Rangoon Cadet and it stuck!!)
Ships included Glouscestershre. Herefordshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire, Warwickshre and Lancashire.

Dick

storybooks
14th March 2007, 08:30
Sailed with Bibby Line from 1975 until 1985 as Radio Officer on the following
vessels:

Ocean Bridge / Dart America / Berkshire / Lancashire [cargo] / Lincolnshire
Hampshire / Devonshire / Staffordshire / and lastly the good old Wiltshire.

Really enjoyed my time at sea, pity one cannot turn the clock back.
Hi Geoff
Were you in the Wiltshire any time between Feb and July 1977 or the Lincolnshire Oct 1977 - Feb 1978?
Cheers. John

R58484956
14th March 2007, 17:42
Greetings John (sb) to the site of SN. Enjoy what you see. Bon voyage.

Roger Bentley
16th March 2007, 20:58
Does anyone remember a Bibby Line Purser called Leather (lived in Childwall, Liverpool)?

John T.

Not sure what date or period you mean, but I seem to recall that the chief steward not purser on the old Lancashire was called Leather. Period 1950-52.
Regards, Roger Bentley

wa002f0328
16th March 2007, 23:32
Can any of you Bibby lads remember Capt Albert Young? Devonshire, during the last war, he was one of the top men in the company.

Dick S
17th March 2007, 07:31
I sailed with Captain Albert Edward Young in the late 1960s he was master I was a gadget and he spoke to me 3 times if I remember and one was Switch those clusters off!!

It was on the Rangoon Run via the Cape as suez was closed and if I remember rightly he had his wife with him.
He was not very tall and used to carry box around to be able to see over the dodgers.

Dick

trotterdotpom
17th March 2007, 09:05
Not sure what date or period you mean, but I seem to recall that the chief steward not purser on the old Lancashire was called Leather. Period 1950-52.
Regards, Roger Bentley

Thanks Roger. I didn't know him personally but knew his daughter. Although I never sailed with Bibby's, I still have happy memories of the company.

John T.

Keith Adams
19th March 2007, 07:42
Hi Guys! I sailed with Capt Young on the "Worcestershire" Dec 1959 to March 1960, it was my last trip with Bibby ... proud to have served. I originally joined them to boost my Navigation skills prior to sitting for First Mate and liked it enough to stay on ... all mates turned out for morning and evening star sights, in addition to the normal Noon deal ... aced my writtens! Does anyone remember we wrote the rough log on a slate with a slate pencil and perspiration droplets fell onto it and partly erased it so the 3RD Mate had a hell of a job to write the Fair Log. I bet the Admiralty Lawyers didn't like not
having a Rough Log to find fault with! Snowy

Roger Bentley
20th March 2007, 17:57
John, As I recall it Mr Leather did have a daughter! Regards, Roger

trotterdotpom
21st March 2007, 01:47
John, As I recall it Mr Leather did have a daughter! Regards, Roger

Yes and very nice too. Thanks Roger.

John T.

Roger Bentley
21st March 2007, 18:04
Re Captain Young, when I was on the Cheshire in 1951 he was chief officer, this was a come down as previously he had sailed in command of the Warwickshire, but due to his lack of seniority he was back as chief officer for a while (he was not a happy bunny!). I think this was because Bibbys had sold the Oxfordshire in 1951. I met him again in Calcutta when I was with Brocklebanks he was then in command of the Yorkshire. This would have been in 1959. Cheers, Roger

Keith Adams
22nd March 2007, 04:49
Thankyou Roger for the update on Capt. Young ... one of my Uncles (Ex-Para.Reg.) received his MBE for work done after after being demobbed from WWII... did you ever sail with Capt. R.D. Fitch who also was awarded a Gong, as you so aptly put it ? He practically made a career out of the new "Oxfordshire" ... one of the best Captains I ever sailed with. Snowy

Roger Bentley
23rd March 2007, 15:48
Hi Snowy, Yes I do remember Captain Fitch, and entirely concur with the statements about him being a great chap. I did one trip with him on the old Lancashire in 1952 as 3rd R/O. We went to Singapore and back. She was a very happy ship. Regards, Roger

Roger Bentley
24th March 2007, 16:01
Hi all,
served my time as Deck cadet with Bibbys from 66 to 71. My last trip was on the Rangoon run when Captain Sheldrake died and we buried him at sea, his wife was sailing with him at he time. I seemed to spend most of my time on the Rangoon run so I left to go 'on the Pool' for a more exciting time - and I got it!(Bill Fooley - christened me senior Rangoon Cadet and it stuck!!)
Ships included Glouscestershre. Herefordshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire, Warwickshre and Lancashire.

Dick
Dick,
Mention of Captain Sheldrake brings back a memory, he was chief officer for my last trip as 2nd R/O on the Derbyshire in 1953, like a lot of senior officers of the time he was quite old as promotion was slow. He had survived the sinking of the Yorkshire in 1939 and by coincidence another survivor of this event was also on the Derbyshire this was the great Frank Bardy who was chief radio officer. Frank was a wonderful man, having survived the First World War and experiencing Paschaendale in 1917. He also served on the Derbyshire when she was an AMC as well as a trooper afterwards. He really had a row of medal ribbons. Best wishes, Roger

paisleymerchant
24th March 2007, 16:29
I sailed on the Lincolnshire twice and also the Staffordshire if I remember rightly British ratings took the ships from the chinese ratings !
For a period of about 2 Years,
Then We were all made redundant and the ships were crewed by Philopeno ratings.
Strongly suspect that we were only there to bring the ships upto standard!
However I remember both ships with fond memories and we certainly had some good nights ashore.
If memory serves at one point we dry-docked in Lisbon for 2 Months ...enough said !!!....lol

Dick S
25th March 2007, 00:43
Roger,
Glad that my post brought back good memories. As regards Shelly I remeber just before we sailed an article about him was in the Liverpool Echo as the 'Golfing Captain' including a photograph.

My mother was a District Nurse in Cheshire and nursed Sir Harold Bibby in his latter years. Lady Bibby told her the story that Shelly was the only surviving Deck Officer and came up out of the Yorkshire and surfaced completely naked except for his uniform cap which he was gripping for dear life (drowning man and straws comes to mind.)

He was master for my first and last trip with Bibbys I remember as one of the 'old school'

Dick

Roger Bentley
29th March 2007, 21:00
Dick, Bibbys had a small history printed and in reference to the Yorkshire it mentions that 33 passengers and 25 crew were lost. I know there has been some more details in Sea Breezes and I will see if I can find them. I remember Frank Bardy telling me that as he made his way to the lifeboats he saw the chief officer still sitting in a trance and in a state of shock and unable to move. The memory had always stuck with him. He also said that they had seen the U-Boat on the surface during the day and more or less knew that someone was going to get it. Grim days, Regards. Roger

R870708
16th April 2007, 15:12
I joined MV Warwickshire 6th September 1968 in Hong Kong the under the command of Alan Hudson, as a deck cadet a pretty awsome experience!
Allan Melia was Sparks originally from the Chesire area I think.

Mr Toby at Water Street offices was the interviewer for original interview before I joined the Bibby that Patch over his face (old war wound?) gave me plenty to think about.

Took a run ashore for a few years but once the salt gets in the blood---I returned to work in the Offshore industry for a few years before heading for the ferries between Vancouver and the Island.

Have many pleasant memories of time at sea including chasing a badito who nicked Jock Mathesons (ENG) wifes hand bag in Callao SA. Got a telling off for being so bloody stupid!!! CSAV charter onboard Yorkshire memory is fading!!

Any other memories or contact would be welcome thro the forum.

Now for a stubby or two.

muldonaich
17th April 2007, 21:10
anyone ever sail with captain a hudson he was old man on cheshire when i was there kev.

Dick S
18th April 2007, 00:58
Hey R870708,
That was the trip I was there, Alan was R/0
and other things I can't remember! 3 cadets in all I joined in Japan before the others. Wasn't Clayton the mate? Or have I got it wrong!! Did a trip up the lakes if I remember rightly

Dick

M29
20th April 2007, 14:00
Hi Guys
This is Alan Melia. Yes we joined Warwickshire in Hongkong in a big rush but the ship had not turned up! Remember we had a great couple of days in the Merchant Navy Hotel, saw the sights etc.
"Rock" Hudson was the Master and Clayton the Mate. Without consulting old Bibby house mags can,t remember many of the others, anyone got a list?
I have cine film of that voyage, remember racing the model cars we bought in Japan?
Was 5th Eng Mark Blaxland?
Anyway, nice surprise hearing from old friends
Alan

muldonaich
20th April 2007, 22:20
Hi Guys
This is Alan Melia. Yes we joined Warwickshire in Hongkong in a big rush but the ship had not turned up! Remember we had a great couple of days in the Merchant Navy Hotel, saw the sights etc.
"Rock" Hudson was the Master and Clayton the Mate. Without consulting old Bibby house mags can,t remember many of the others, anyone got a list?
I have cine film of that voyage, remember racing the model cars we bought in Japan?
Alanhi is that the same hudson iwas asking about the chief off was called redman.

Dick S
22nd April 2007, 15:25
Alan,
So you are still around!!! I remember going ashore and buying replica guns with you, we must have been bloody mad! You I think bought an replica Automatic and I a Replica 38 Police special!!! Mine was confiscated at Manchester Airport on arrival home with a promise of no further action but it would be test fired never heard from 'em since and that was 40!!!! years ago - what happened to yours?!!! And to you?

Some good runs ashore if I remember rightly, up the Great Lakes especially, last I saw of you was when you were sparks on the Wiltshire(?) in Wiltons Holland,I was on a bulker as 3/0, early 70s, I think was Wiltshires maiden voyage and she had a problem. And yes I remember the model cars - mainly in the alley way outside your cabin, and the Bar

Dick

M29
23rd April 2007, 11:42
Hi Dick
Yes you may have seen me in Holland. I think me and a few others came across to your ship for a visit and a few beers. (My Walther PPK 32 automatic is still in my socks draw!)
After Warwickshire I went round the fleet, Atlantic Bridge, Cheshire (new one)
Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire, English Bridge, a full year or so on Dart Atlantic and Dart America and funnily enough, last voyage back on Warwickshire together with my wife.
Yes got married and swallowed the pick. Came ashore in 1975 to Lecture in Marine Electronics at Brunel College Bristol. Am still here but there is no salt left in what we teach these days.
Any way, nice to remember those days, having a hell of a job recalling faces and names from that voyage, although "Rock" Hudson is firmly imprinted on the mind. Before joining you on Warwickshire I had just done 9 months on "Worcestershire" with "Rocky". Was the C/Eng Gresham? Seem to remember he liked to go around stealing things for a laugh. Up the great lakes we went on a German ship and Gresham disabled the engine, big stink afterwards, German Captain not very happy. Also, Gresham used to jump off the Boat deck sun awning into the swimming pool! He had to time the ships roll right to get max depth of water when he jumped in!
Any way, often think of the old days, nice to hear from you.
Alan

M29
23rd April 2007, 12:07
hi is that the same hudson iwas asking about the chief off was called redman.

Must be. There was only one Captain Alan Hudson during to late 60's/Early 70's. I did two voyages with him, Worcestershire and Warwickshire spanning 1968/1969. I understand from his stories that he was a Cadet in WWII so must have been due to retire in the mid 70's
Best Wishes
Alan Melia

muldonaich
23rd April 2007, 18:39
yes thats right he was torpedoed as well the che/eng on her was old reg peat his wife was with him all trip regards kev.

Dick S
23rd April 2007, 19:04
Alan,
Thanks for the memories - yes I remember c/eng and a few cohorts going on board the German vl, borrowing a fork lift truck to do so if I remeber rightly And Hudson going to apologise and been made to feel a right heel.

The memories come flooding back

Richard

Dartmouth Mariner
23rd April 2007, 23:28
Must be. There was only one Captain Alan Hudson during to late 60's/Early 70's. I did two voyages with him, Worcestershire and Warwickshire spanning 1968/1969. I understand from his stories that he was a Cadet in WWII so must have been due to retire in the mid 70's
Best Wishes
Alan Melia

Hi Alan,

I was 3/O with you on Warwickshire ( I joined in Yokohama) and 2/O on Atlantic Bridge. You will remember our prolonged stay in Antwerp on Atlantic Bridge. Captain Hudson loved telling his stories - he loved them so much they had to be told twice or even three times over for effect! I'm now living in South Devon and recently met up with Dave Clayton for a few beers. In fact, I only found out by accident that we've been living only half a mile apart for the past 8 years. Mind you, the River Dart does form a bit of a barrier.

Best wishes to you,

Ken

M29
24th April 2007, 09:54
Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan

Dartmouth Mariner
25th April 2007, 16:22
Hi Ken
Nice to hear from you. Yes I remember now, you had a full set in those days which I think you shaved off one day for a change! The Engines needed work so we spent time in Antwerp (William Tell came from Sulzer!). Then on leaving, we belted a cargo ship (Balto?) and put her in dry dock, meanwhile we took the engines apart again! Didn't the boiler go for the chop so we spent a week in Norfolk Virginia while the yanks rebuilt it? Have got some cine film of that voyage but can't remember many of the names. I think "Jumbo" Jones was master. The C/Eng was a nice bloke, can picture him now but can't recall name. 3/E "Dave" (played guitar so we formed a group!) We went to Port Headland Australia for ore. Anyway, let me know if you recall any of the others.
Best wishes
Alan

We did indeed spend a long time in Antwerp and even went to dry-dock after our spat with the Balto. I seem to remember a heap of scrap tubes and bricks on our poop as the boiler repairs progressed in Norfolk. As for personnel, Eric Jones was Master, Ron Neish was C/O, Roger Madison was 3/O, "Veal" MacNeil was Purser, C/E was Robertson? (plus wife) 2/Eng ??, 4/E was Willie?, 5/E was Phil? from Liverpool and J/E was Roger? from Bristol. Neish lives in Totnes but has had major health problems over the past 12 years. Came across Phil when he was 2/E on Mersey Bridge in Ghent in 1976.
Never mind the full set - I'd be content if there was hair on the top of my head nowadays! Do you remember the Aussie nurse who came to the ship in Port Hedland to update our vaccinations? She was given too much to drink and went back to her surgery with iron ore-coloured handprints all over her white uniform! Happy Days.

Ken

M29
25th April 2007, 17:57
Hi Ken
As long as that nurse didn,t have a son called "Rusty", we are fairly safe. Thanks for the crew list, some of the memory has come into sharper focus. We had two 3rd Engineers, the one with the Guitar was Dave Barnes, the other I can see clearly but can't name (was that Willie?). I remeber Phil well, quite tall as I recall. We had a couple of Engineer cadets who no doubt went on to great things. Roger Madison, although overweight, was very strong and could do one handed push-ups. Remember we had some fun with the roulette wheel.
Any way, pass my regards on to any of the others you are in touch with.
Best Wishes
Alan

michaelF
28th May 2007, 03:30
Hi guys ,
a few of you have been talking about the Warwickshire and capt Hudson , i was on warwickshire twice jan 69 to sept 69 as deck cadet and march 71 to oct 71 as 3/0 . Have numerous pics scanned to pc from various bibby line ships of lads on board , unfortunately have forgot a lot of names , here is one of the warwickshire bar with capt hudson in it , anyone know the names of the others .

mike

Mike Kemble
1st June 2007, 20:22
Well, if anyone here is currently with Bibby Line might I ask that they contact their office to answer emails? *sigh* Several attempts to glean some info on MV Cheshire and not one single reply.

trotterdotpom
2nd June 2007, 03:13
Well, if anyone here is currently with Bibby Line might I ask that they contact their office to answer emails? *sigh* Several attempts to glean some info on MV Cheshire and not one single reply.

Mike, contact "M29" on this site. Further back on this thread he mentions sailing on the "Cheshire". Maybe he can help you.

John T.

M29
4th June 2007, 12:58
Hi guys ,
a few of you have been talking about the Warwickshire and capt Hudson , i was on warwickshire twice jan 69 to sept 69 as deck cadet and march 71 to oct 71 as 3/0 . Have numerous pics scanned to pc from various bibby line ships of lads on board , unfortunately have forgot a lot of names , here is one of the warwickshire bar with capt hudson in it , anyone know the names of the others .

mike

Hi Mike
You must have left Warwickshire in Hongkong the same time as I joined her (8/09/69). Yes that is indeed "Rock" Hudson in the corner of the bar but although some of the other faces are familiar, can't place any names. Hope you post more pictures, am in the process myself of digging out old slides for posting. Best wishes

Alan

michaelF
4th June 2007, 14:23
Hi Mike
You must have left Warwickshire in Hongkong the same time as I joined her (8/09/69). Yes that is indeed "Rock" Hudson in the corner of the bar but although some of the other faces are familiar, can't place any names. Hope you post more pictures, am in the process myself of digging out old slides for posting. Best wishes

Alan

Hi Alan ,
yes i left in HK. Did we know each other it was only a small company , i used to go under the nickname Yogi ??
Will post more pics when ive sorted them for suitability if you know what i mean .

mike

stan mayes
4th June 2007, 15:11
Hello Bibby Line crews,
Do any of you remember the Chippy Peter Hughes of Liverpool?
Peter served in many of their ships including some which are named in these postings.I would appreciate any replies..

michaelF
4th June 2007, 19:04
Hello Bibby Line crews,
Do any of you remember the Chippy Peter Hughes of Liverpool?
Peter served in many of their ships including some which are named in these postings.I would appreciate any replies..

Here is a picture of him

mike

stan mayes
5th June 2007, 13:22
Hello Mike ,
Many thanks for the quick reply,and photo..PM on way..

M29
5th June 2007, 14:15

Hi Mike
I see from another thread that you are trying to find out about a family death involving the Cheshire. I note you have had some Facts & Stats from other members.
Can I suggest (if you haven't already thought of it) contacting the "Liverpool Echo" Like most newspapers, they have a large archive and may be able to help.
Best wishes with the project

Alan Melia

michaelF
5th June 2007, 14:21
Hello Mike ,
Many thanks for the quick reply,and photo..PM on way..

Hi stan ,
have replied by email , just in case peter is 2nd from left , as you look at it , i hope i have the right person .Yes copy photo if you want or i can send to you .

mike

Stuart.Henderson
5th June 2007, 14:45
Here is a picture of him

mike

I was with him on the Herefordshire on her last voyage around 1968. The other names I can remember who were in our messroom were Arthur Briggs, Arthur Bridges and, both QM's.

Stuart

michaelF
5th June 2007, 19:19
I was with him on the Herefordshire on her last voyage around 1968. The other names I can remember who were in our messroom were Arthur Briggs, Arthur Bridges and, both QM's.

Stuart

Hi stuart ,
i left the herefordshire in november 68 , i was a deck cadet , i think williamson was the old man , dont remember anything about it being near to her last voyage though

mike

Dick S
6th June 2007, 00:30
Yogi,
Does your family srill have the boarding house in Blakpool?

Dick

michaelF
6th June 2007, 00:35
Yogi,
Does your family srill have the boarding house in Blakpool?

Dick

Hi Dick S,
you obviously know me can we talk by email or im

mike

Stuart.Henderson
8th June 2007, 14:37
Hi stuart ,
i left the herefordshire in november 68 , i was a deck cadet , i think williamson was the old man , dont remember anything about it being near to her last voyage though

mike

Checking on my discharge book last night, I was a year out. I joined her on 28 May 1969 in Liverpool and paid off in Calcutta on 28 July 69 which was her last voyage for Bibby.

Stuart

michaelF
8th June 2007, 16:05
Checking on my discharge book last night, I was a year out. I joined her on 28 May 1969 in Liverpool and paid off in Calcutta on 28 July 69 which was her last voyage for Bibby.

Stuart

Stuart ,
i wouldnt worry about being only a year out , since joining this site and looking at my discharge book , the fist time in ages ive found ships that i didnt know id sailed on .

mike

wa002f0328
8th June 2007, 20:30
Any more men sailed with Capt Albert Young?

Macd
12th June 2007, 17:58
The one with the beard facing the camera is Keith Hotham, later to be Cargo Engineer on the gas ships.

Don

michaelF
12th June 2007, 18:45
The one with the beard facing the camera is Keith Hotham, later to be Cargo Engineer on the gas ships.

Don

Thanks for that macd ,
name still doesnt ring a bell , i thought he was the sparks .
mike

michaelF
12th June 2007, 19:38
thought some of you ex bibbyliners might like these , sorry about quality but scanned fom old b&w , and had to resize to upload .

mike

louisefenemore
4th July 2007, 12:29
Hi, You sound like someone who may have sailed on a ship with my father. His name was John Brassington, and he was an engineer on at leats three of your ships during that time span. I am looking for some photos of the Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Lancashire... do you have any? Please send me a PM if you can help.
Regards,
Louise

email address removed, Louise.
Kris

louisefenemore
4th July 2007, 12:32
Hi. You sound like you may have served with my father, john brassington, who was an engineer on herefordshire, worcestershire and lancashire in the late 60s. I would love to receive any photos you have of these ships - can you PM me please

Thanks,
Louise

louisefenemore
4th July 2007, 12:37
Hello all. I am trying to find some Bibby Line photos for my computer illiterate father, John Brassington, who served as an engineer aboard various Bibby Line ships, including Lancashire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire in the mid to late 1960s. If anyone has any pics, please could you PM me so that we could arrange sending by email. I would be specially interested to hear from anyone who knew my father at this time... thank you, Louise

R58484956
4th July 2007, 15:49
Louise go to www.photoship.co.uk and you will find all 3 there, but some of them show ships with same name so father may not have been on them. Turn any pop-ups you have on to OFF to see site.

Stubbsy5050
11th July 2007, 12:39
Hi guys

Seems about time we had a Bibby Line Forum. I joined in March 68 and left in April 1970. Voyage details below.

Staffordshire 25 mar 68 to 08 apr 68, Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Herefordshire 02 may 68 to 24 May 68 Tilbury to Liverpool as 3rd Mate
Pacific Bridge 14 jun 68 to 13 oct 68 Rotterdam to Rotterdam as 3rd mate
Pacific Bridge 14 oct 68 to 25 nov 69 Rotterdam to Amsterdam as 2nd Mate
Atlantic Bridge 01 mar 69 to 20 aug 69 Amsterdam to Rotterdam as 2nd Mate
Yorkshire 08 dec 69 to 21 mar 70 Birkenhead to Birkenhead (CSAV) as 2nd Mate.
Shropshire 24 mar 70 to 13 apr 70 Rotterdam to Birkenhead CSAV Coast) as 2nd Mate.

I joined primarly because of my bulk carrier experiance, good trips they were with good people but finished up with a trip to South America because a BoT examiner could not add up. Not that I minded it was another intresting voyage with goo memories to places I had not been before. It was nice to do a bit of general cargo which I had not done since leaving Brocks.

If any one has any memories of these ships during the times I was on them I would be delghted to here from them.

Michael Meredith
Hi all,

Does anyone remember Henry (Harry) Wilson Pyle who captained the Atlantic Bridge and Pacific Bridge and was master of the Ocean Bridge when he was killed in an explosion on board in 1971?

Harry Pyle was my father-in-law. My wife and I recently visited his grave at Huelva.

Cheers,
John Stubbs

non descript
11th July 2007, 14:11
John

Having noticed your posts of today – all most impressive and moving in their accounts of times past – I would take this time to welcome you to the Site and trust you get much pleasure and support from it. - As time is not the healer than many imagine it to be, I offer you my thoughts and support in respect of your father-in-law, it never easy coming to terms with that loss.

Take care and Bon Voyage.

Mark

R870708
7th August 2007, 16:48
Here is a picture of him

mike
Hi Mike
Allan Burns at this end (R870708) is that "Chalky" Whyte sitting on the right hand side of the photograph.
This Warwickshire forum is bringing back a lot of memories. What with Ch Gresham building a model of the Yamato in his cabin the destroying the Germans perhaps revenge was in his blood

R870708
7th August 2007, 17:01
Hey R870708,
That was the trip I was there, Alan was R/0
and other things I can't remember! 3 cadets in all I joined in Japan before the others. Wasn't Clayton the mate? Or have I got it wrong!! Did a trip up the lakes if I remember rightly

Dick
Hello Dick or is that Richard as I recall.
Good to hear through the forum that some of us are still around.
Have just responded to Alan Melia but didnt realise it was to a private e mail, like navigation never did read the regulations, changed days now currently taking a break from my own company to work for the next two years in Shanghai as GM of Shipping Company and yes I get to play with the toys from time to time.
Simon Tudor-Jones was one of the other cadets that we sailed with he loved his Tawney Owl cigars. more memories are most welcome.

R870708
7th August 2007, 18:04
Hi Guys
Alan
Alan you mention the old Bibby Line Magazine could I trouble you to see if you have one about late 1969 which refers to Jock Mathiesons' wifes handbag being stolen in Callao and it being recovered by me after chasing the bandito?
If you have copies of this and film of the car racing episodes on the warwickshire please advise
Regards
Allan

Dick S
7th August 2007, 23:33
Hello Dick or is that Richard as I recall.
Good to hear through the forum that some of us are still around.
Have just responded to Alan Melia but didnt realise it was to a private e mail, like navigation never did read the regulations, changed days now currently taking a break from my own company to work for the next two years in Shanghai as GM of Shipping Company and yes I get to play with the toys from time to time.
Simon Tudor-Jones was one of the other cadets that we sailed with he loved his Tawney Owl cigars. more memories are most welcome.

Hi,
Don't remember names to well , like faces, they disappear in a mist of age! But I do remember sum1 liking cigars. I also remember that 2 of the cadet's cabins had a long walk to the showers!!

Yes it was Richard it became 'Dick' whan I was on the pool then back to Richard in my last year with at sea with denholm mcClay.

I saw Davy Clayton again quite by chance when he turned up as master on a small middle trade ship I was on in the early 80s.( last ship before I went fgn lag).

Richard

R870708
8th August 2007, 10:07
Hey good to hear from you are still plying the Trade? or like most of learned that you can have too much of a good thing!!!
Still remember the flight back from Vancouver eating crab and swelling up like a balloon and you and Alan with your guns.
Regards
Allan S Burns

michaelF
8th August 2007, 10:57
Hi Mike
Allan Burns at this end (R870708) is that "Chalky" Whyte sitting on the right hand side of the photograph.
This Warwickshire forum is bringing back a lot of memories. What with Ch Gresham building a model of the Yamato in his cabin the destroying the Germans perhaps revenge was in his blood

Hi Allan ,
firstly did we meet in bibbys ? It was 40 years ago , faces and incidents jog my memory , names are something different .

As far as the picture goes the names i remember are from left to right as you look at it are fred ford c/e , peter hughes chippy , unknown , rab ritchie ?? elect .

mike

Dartmouth Mariner
8th August 2007, 23:21
Hello Michael F and Allan Burns,

Firstly, I remember you Allan from Warwickshire which I joined in Yokohama as 3/O after a chap named Cowell paid off sick. That was my first trip in Bibby's. I recall another cadet named Jones and another nicknamed "Slim" who I believe came from Tarporley in Cheshire (don't ask how I can remember that when I can't even remember his name). Dave Clayton was the mate on that trip and he went Master on the next voyage. I met him again a few months ago after discovering that he lives not far from me across the River Dart. Rick Birkett was 2/O, but I have never heard anything of him since.

Secondly if you, Michael F, had the nickname "Yogi", we sailed together on the car carrier Cheshire about 71/72. I'd reached the dizzy height of 2/O by then. I think John Egan was the Mate and Tom Watson was 3/O. I stayed with Bibby's until 1975 before moving on to pastures new.

Good to hear that you're all still around.

Ken Bowers

R870708
9th August 2007, 08:18
Hello Ken, from a rather warm Shanghai

Yes Simon Jones from Heighton was one of the other cadets to sail on that first trip what with Alan Hudson and Rick Birkett and of course the 1/0 who I had the task of calling for his watch, I didnt get any reply so I touched the b***er and he bit my head off, strange got a bit like that myself after a few touches in the night. I should be so lucky
Ken remind me did you have a full set when you joined or am I thinking of the yorky down the South American coast at a later date? Ranjiv Kunmarasingh was mate I think.
I recall we had some salted hides on that trip which stank to high hell talk about a mixed cargo.
Now looking after the HSSE for a company here in Shanghai with a few boats knocking about, also a repair/conversion facility so I guess like the bad penny I keep turning up, back with ships.

michaelF
9th August 2007, 11:42

Firstly, I remember you Allan from Warwickshire which I joined in Yokohama as 3/O after a chap named Cowell paid off sick. That was my first trip in Bibby's. I recall another cadet named Jones and another nicknamed "Slim" who I believe came from Tarporley in Cheshire (don't ask how I can remember that when I can't even remember his name). Dave Clayton was the mate on that trip and he went Master on the next voyage. I met him again a few months ago after discovering that he lives not far from me across the River Dart. Rick Birkett was 2/O, but I have never heard anything of him since.

Secondly if you, Michael F, had the nickname "Yogi", we sailed together on the car carrier Cheshire about 71/72. I'd reached the dizzy height of 2/O by then. I think John Egan was the Mate and Tom Watson was 3/O. I stayed with Bibby's until 1975 before moving on to pastures new.

Ken Bowers

Hi Ken ,
yes thats me . It was the berkshire nov 71 to jan 72 .That trip was my 21st , if i remember , you , john and tom had to cover my watches as the party went from friday to monday and i was even late going on watch on the monday afternoon . I still have the key that was made for me .
Do you remember the parties we had up the west coast , when 3/4 ton of female nurses arrived on board at gone midnight after their shift ? Or was it all in my imagination .

John Egan and Tom Watson both were Gentlemen

mike

Dick S
10th August 2007, 14:54

Ken Bowers

Hi,
Yes Dick S was called slim, cos I was not. How come you could remember where I came from? It is surprising what the memory retains. Real name Richard Stewart hence 'Dick S'. I was known as Dick most of the time when in Denholms so keep it for the site!

Just had key hole surgery on the old ticker, Quite an op. listened to radio 2 the whole time and watched them probe away. started at the 3 o clock news and finished at the 4 o clock news!! Now 58 yrs old and in my last 18months as Coastguard. See my other posts if interested how my MN career went.

Names come flooding back. Forgot about the 3/0 paying off sick.

Dick Richard Slim watever

R870708
10th August 2007, 20:09
keep well and keep taking the tablets

Dartmouth Mariner
10th August 2007, 22:16
Hello Ken, from a rather warm Shanghai

Yes Simon Jones from Heighton was one of the other cadets to sail on that first trip what with Alan Hudson and Rick Birkett and of course the 1/0 who I had the task of calling for his watch, I didnt get any reply so I touched the b***er and he bit my head off, strange got a bit like that myself after a few touches in the night. I should be so lucky
Ken remind me did you have a full set when you joined or am I thinking of the yorky down the South American coast at a later date? Ranjiv Kunmarasingh was mate I think.
I recall we had some salted hides on that trip which stank to high hell talk about a mixed cargo.
Now looking after the HSSE for a company here in Shanghai with a few boats knocking about, also a repair/conversion facility so I guess like the bad penny I keep turning up, back with ships.

Hi Allan,

Yes - I did have a full set when I joined but think I shaved it off after we left the cold weather in the Great Lakes in November/December 69. It's the only time I've seen icicles form almost immediately on the mooring ropes as they came taut! Seem to remember one of the crew dying whilst we were at anchor in Cristobal awaiting Canal transit. We flew home from Vancouver via Toronto and then on to Prestwick and Manchester. I chose to get off in Prestwick as I lived nearby in Kilmarnock. Having no money in my pocket, no taxis available on a Sunday morning, no phone at home and wife out baby-sitting at my sister's ( at least that's what she told me), it took me nearly as long as the flight time from Toronto to cover the 10 miles to get home.

Enjoy yourself in Shanghai.

Dartmouth Mariner
10th August 2007, 22:25
Hi Ken ,
yes thats me . It was the berkshire nov 71 to jan 72 .That trip was my 21st , if i remember , you , john and tom had to cover my watches as the party went from friday to monday and i was even late going on watch on the monday afternoon . I still have the key that was made for me .
Do you remember the parties we had up the west coast , when 3/4 ton of female nurses arrived on board at gone midnight after their shift ? Or was it all in my imagination .

John Egan and Tom Watson both were Gentlemen

mike

Hi Mike,

Had to look in the discharge book to confirm that it was Berkshire. Over a period of 5 years I did 7 voyages in Berkshire/Cheshire so it is a bit hazy now. I guess we must have had four mates on board at the time as Bibby's were recruiting like crazy in view of all the new tonnage joining the fleet. Far cry from my last trip on Herefordshire in 1975, when the 2nd. Mate was getting time in to go for Mates' and the 3rd. Mate didn't have a ticket. Don't remember you missing watches, but do remember the nurses - maybe in Portland or Seattle?

Not much contact with the sea nowadays as I've been retired since 1996.

Dartmouth Mariner
10th August 2007, 22:39
Hi,
Yes Dick S was called slim, cos I was not. How come you could remember where I came from? It is surprising what the memory retains. Real name Richard Stewart hence 'Dick S'. I was known as Dick most of the time when in Denholms so keep it for the site!

Just had key hole surgery on the old ticker, Quite an op. listened to radio 2 the whole time and watched them probe away. started at the 3 o clock news and finished at the 4 o clock news!! Now 58 yrs old and in my last 18months as Coastguard. See my other posts if interested how my MN career went.

Names come flooding back. Forgot about the 3/0 paying off sick.

Dick Richard Slim watever

Hi Dick,

Your op must have been a success if you're able to tell us about it! Very brave of you to listen to Radio 2 as well - don't think I could listen to something as jangly as that for an hour. Hope you make a full recovery.
Noticed that you'd been in Denholm MacLay for a while - my last few weeks at sea in '78 was as master on Mingary. Not a very enjoyable time really as I had to go into Gib to land a steward with DTs, got badly concussed in Cagliari when trying to avoid a dog which went for me, and then ran short of food on the way back to Rotterdam. Ever had sardines with crackers for breakfast? Phoned home as we passed Gib to given the joyous news of the offer of a pilot's job. There was no hesitation in accepting, which was swiftly followed with another phone call to Glasgow with a resignation.

Ken

M29
20th August 2007, 16:09
Alan you mention the old Bibby Line Magazine could I trouble you to see if you have one about late 1969 which refers to Jock Mathiesons' wifes handbag being stolen in Callao and it being recovered by me after chasing the bandito?
If you have copies of this and film of the car racing episodes on the warwickshire please advise
Regards
Allan

Hi Allan and all the rest of you "Warwickshire" guys.
Sounds like quite a few of us from that happy voyage (Hudson was captain) are still round.
The film of that voyage is now committed to S-VHS although the quality is poor compared with today's technology. I will have to try and convert to DVD.
Yes Ken, we did loose an Indian Seaman (Heart Attack) whilst watiing for canal transit. I remember blasting an XXX medical away at the coast guard because you guys on the bridge could not get a reply by VHF or aldis. There was an unfortunate incident when the crew brought the mans ashes back from ashore and they blew back all over the crew when they emptied them over the side.
The flight from Vancouver was very nice with a view of the Rockies. Dick had his replica gun confiscated by customs, as he reminded me recently.
Does anyone remember the Gents loo in that Vancouver Hotel we used before the flight home? more later if your memories have failed!
Allan, will look at my Bibby Mags when I can find them in the loft!

Best wishes

Alan Melia

p.s. Swift recovery Dick

Dartmouth Mariner
21st August 2007, 12:08
Hi Alan,
I do remember the hotel but not its name (Berkeley?). When you stepped up to the urinal, music began to play, blue lights came on. That was in addition to the plants and statuettes already in the room. I seem to remember succumbing to the temptation of puting money into the coin slot above the bed, which immediately began to vibrate for about half an hour.

Went there for a drink again in 1971 with my wife, but the ladies' loo was apparently nothing like the gents'. She reckoned that I'd dreamt it all!

Ken

M29
21st August 2007, 12:43
Hi Alan,
I do remember the hotel but not its name (Berkeley?). When you stepped up to the urinal, music began to play, blue lights came on. That was in addition to the plants and statuettes already in the room. I seem to remember succumbing to the temptation of puting money into the coin slot above the bed, which immediately began to vibrate for about half an hour.

Went there for a drink again in 1971 with my wife, but the ladies' loo was apparently nothing like the gents'. She reckoned that I'd dreamt it all!

Ken

Well remembered Ken! yes there was I think, knome like figures piddling into the urinal with streams and a water fall, once you started, you couldn't stop! Perhaps toilets around the world could make another thread for SN!

Alan

Dick S
30th August 2007, 17:39
Thanks for good wishes - oh to be 'slim' again!!!

trotterdotpom
31st August 2007, 02:07
Well remembered Ken! yes there was I think, knome like figures piddling into the urinal with streams and a water fall, once you started, you couldn't stop! Perhaps toilets around the world could make another thread for SN!

Alan

Good idea - let's see who come out of the water closet!
John T.

R870708
7th September 2007, 09:33
Alan howdy from Shanghai
Also remember Mark Blaxland after a few frozen guninesses ashore in Yokohama giving the lovleys a bit of a fright!!
The hotel in Vancouver also had a bit of a gunfight outside if my memory serves me certainly made for a restless night.
Can any one remember the leckies name, recall he was always immaculate when going ashore. Have you noticed there seems to be a shortage of ginger beers writing on this site, perhaps the bibby name.
have hust been looking at the "GRAIG" site and it would appear Bibby's are getting back into a reasonable class boat again. Regards to all, of to Zhoushan for a week or two.

Dick S
10th September 2007, 00:15
I think my memory must be going I don't remember that bit but I do remember the Customs coming and doing a rummage through my gear at the Hotel.

On other notes does anyone know what happened to The Paulusz(guess at spelling) brothers from Sri Lanka(Ceylon as was) There were 3 I think 2 Deck 1 engine?
Also I was stuck on a vessel in the Duke Street Cut caught up in a Liverpool Tug strike, 1970 I think does anyone remember it and which one it could have been?

Richard

M29
17th September 2007, 18:53
Alan howdy from Shanghai
Also remember Mark Blaxland after a few frozen guninesses ashore in Yokohama giving the lovleys a bit of a fright!!
The hotel in Vancouver also had a bit of a gunfight outside if my memory serves me certainly made for a restless night.
Can any one remember the leckies name, recall he was always immaculate when going ashore. Have you noticed there seems to be a shortage of ginger beers writing on this site, perhaps the bibby name.
have hust been looking at the "GRAIG" site and it would appear Bibby's are getting back into a reasonable class boat again. Regards to all, of to Zhoushan for a week or two.

Hi Allan & all the Warwickshire boys
Yes Mark Blaxland was certainly well blessed. I think I took him around 4 seperate massage joints in Yokohama plus several bars and none of the girls would take him!
I think Alan Butterworth (from Liverpool) might have been electricitian although I might be wrong as I sailed with Alan on several ships.

Best Wishes
Alan

R870708
20th November 2007, 09:19
Alan
Apologies for being away so long and not responding but the ship repair and conversions are going twenty to the dozen at the moment and my time just is not!!!
Alan Butterworth is the name I remember now you mention it I could do with some like that to look at our electrical kit here.
I have been looking round some of the vessels that come to our facilities and
I dont recollect ever being onboard an unkempt ship like some of the beauts that we get here, and some of them aint so old either. I guess thats the disposable nature of the industry these days. Some of the "Old Men" that I see are perhaps 35ish with not a lot under their belts as far as sea time is concerned perhaps I am just getting old. RANT OVER.
Time to look round the rest of the forum and see if anything from my offshore life pops up.
Regards and mines still a frozen Guiness!!!

Dick S
30th November 2007, 20:14
Alan,

yes Alan Butterworth was the Electrician I met hinm in Liverpool just after I left And he took me home to his house and his mum cooked a fanrtastic steak lunch for us.

It was a good ship but B. cold up the Lakes

Richard

R870708
12th December 2007, 09:42
Hi Richard
Its just as bl##dy cold in Shanghai today.
Do you recall in Toronto one of my relatives comming on board and a certain C/O taking a shine to her??
Then onto Cleveland, and a trip to Euclid High school to see a football game American style?
I can remember it was cold but then we went back to Pusan Korea and that was colder still!!

Never mind heading back to Aus next week for Christmas and New year on City Beach, Perth, hopefully in about 35 degrees, sunshine, blue skies and decent wine.[=P]

Have a good christmas and keep that ticker going!!

Allan

Dick S
12th December 2007, 09:52
Hi Allan,
Don't remeber the relative but certainly remember the mate! You have brought back memories of that school visit and didn't we go back to a teachers house after?
Pusan I remember only because I did not go ashore!!

Have a great Christmas yourself - I am not working for the 1st time in 4 years - joy bliss and happiness!!

HERES TO US and all like us, there aren't may of us left

Richard

R870708
17th December 2007, 08:54
Richard hello

After the footy (Yank style) we took a trip back to one of the students homes her name was Laurie Salisbury and her mother made us Pizza, made a change from some of the great curries we had on board. I spent more time in the galley than I did in the wheelhouse and when I am home my mates are always asking for another "HOT" one, think what you like on that score.
Laurie and I wrote to each other for some years but she was involved in a vehicle accident and so the letters stopped.
I can still recall trying to drop the mast to pass under the bridge at Toledo, but can't recall if we were successful or not??

Keep safe and to you and yours a happy festive season.

Allan

Hi Allan,
Don't remeber the relative but certainly remember the mate! You have brought back memories of that school visit and didn't we go back to a teachers house after?
Pusan I remember only because I did not go ashore!!

Have a great Christmas yourself - I am not working for the 1st time in 4 years - joy bliss and happiness!!

HERES TO US and all like us, there aren't may of us left

Richard

Dick S
17th December 2007, 23:12
ref Toledo - Only Just!
Richard

jim barnes
19th December 2007, 23:12
I don't yet know enough to get them listed... help! Snowy Sorry for being slow in replying it apears i havn;t being paying attention. can't help here i am afraid, this would be in the hands of the administrators (bosses) problem being i suppose is there where so many shipping lines(once upon a time?)

MartynS
27th December 2007, 09:04
Hi Derek,

We slightly overlapped as I was with Bibby Line from 1972 to 1976. I sailed on the Worcestershire, Cheshire, Herefordshire and Ocean Bridge. I also had stints at Fleetwood Nautical College.

I am well known for having an appalling memory and yet when I started reading these messages, memories of great times came flooding back. I have recognised one name as I believe that I was Uncert 3/O on Ocean Bridge when Geoff Valentine was doing his first trip as Radio Officer.

After 30 years of working in factories for a living, I have still never been able to flush the sea out of my system and I now live not far from Antwerp.

Best regards,

Martyn Sutton

Hi everybody,

I started on this site not too long ago, mainly looking at the Brocks entries as I served my time with them and that site is particularly strong. One thing surprises me though is that there does not seem to be any Bibby Line members or not owning up anyway.
Is there anybody out there who was with Bibby, I sailed with them 1968 to 1973 or thereabouts.

Rgds

DerekT

MartynS
27th December 2007, 09:18
Hi Ken,

When I read this, I thought that I might have been the 3/O without a ticket, but having tested my normally abominable memory, I startled myself by remembering that I joined the Herefordshire in April 1974 in Destrehan.

Best regards,

Martyn Sutton

Hi Mike,

Had to look in the discharge book to confirm that it was Berkshire. Over a period of 5 years I did 7 voyages in Berkshire/Cheshire so it is a bit hazy now. I guess we must have had four mates on board at the time as Bibby's were recruiting like crazy in view of all the new tonnage joining the fleet. Far cry from my last trip on Herefordshire in 1975, when the 2nd. Mate was getting time in to go for Mates' and the 3rd. Mate didn't have a ticket. Don't remember you missing watches, but do remember the nurses - maybe in Portland or Seattle?

Not much contact with the sea nowadays as I've been retired since 1996.

MartynS
27th December 2007, 10:01
I too have wondered if I would have been on the Derbyshire if I had not left Bibby Line in 1976. I had sailed with Norman Marsh, Thomas 'Tommy' Blease, William Buckley and Royal 'Bish' Waller and met several others during crew changeovers. As a Deck Cadet I had physically worked with Tommy Blease the 'Chippy' and learned a great deal from him. I was incensed by the media coverage in the years following the tragedy, which seemed relentlessly to be trying to pin the blame on poor preparation for entering port, which ultimately meant pinning the blame on Tommy. The whole saga of the 'investigations' was a scandal and I can't begin to comprehend what the families must have gone through during the last 27 years.

Martyn Sutton

Hi, I started with Bibbys as deckboy on the Hampshire and then the Devonshire in 78. Quite a few of those lads ended up lost on the Derbyshire. Often think how the decision to leave may have saved my life. I had even tried getting back to Bibbys when work was hard to come by but they turned bandit on me and just wouldnt give me a start.

MartynS
27th December 2007, 22:48
Garfield Toby the fearsome Personnel Manager during my stint from 1972 to 1976 was never at sea as far as I know. I am sure that I remember being told by somebody that he lost his eye and part of his face as a result of taking a direct hit while he was serving in a tank during the war. I also recall Captain Hudson spent his 17th birthday in a lifeboat, having been torpedoed. He was my first 'old man' on the Worcestershire in 1972.

Martyn Sutton

I joined MV Warwickshire 6th September 1968 in Hong Kong the under the command of Alan Hudson, as a deck cadet a pretty awsome experience!
Allan Melia was Sparks originally from the Chesire area I think.

Mr Toby at Water Street offices was the interviewer for original interview before I joined the Bibby that Patch over his face (old war wound?) gave me plenty to think about.

Took a run ashore for a few years but once the salt gets in the blood---I returned to work in the Offshore industry for a few years before heading for the ferries between Vancouver and the Island.

Have many pleasant memories of time at sea including chasing a badito who nicked Jock Mathesons (ENG) wifes hand bag in Callao SA. Got a telling off for being so bloody stupid!!! CSAV charter onboard Yorkshire memory is fading!!

Any other memories or contact would be welcome thro the forum.

Now for a stubby or two.

VTR1000
28th December 2007, 02:02
Doesn't Bibby's have some kind of agency now? IOM based.

M29
7th January 2008, 16:59
I too have wondered if I would have been on the Derbyshire if I had not left Bibby Line in 1976. I had sailed with Norman Marsh, Thomas 'Tommy' Blease, William Buckley and Royal 'Bish' Waller and met several others during crew changeovers. As a Deck Cadet I had physically worked with Tommy Blease the 'Chippy' and learned a great deal from him. I was incensed by the media coverage in the years following the tragedy, which seemed relentlessly to be trying to pin the blame on poor preparation for entering port, which ultimately meant pinning the blame on Tommy. The whole saga of the 'investigations' was a scandal and I can't begin to comprehend what the families must have gone through during the last 27 years.

Martyn Sutton

Hi Martyn,
Welcome to SN, I see you joined recently so you may not know that there is a lot of posts about Derbyshire elsewhere (e.g. look in "Bulk Carriers)
Like you, I had good friends and colleagues in Derbyshire when she went.
Especially Norman Marsh, Fred Chedotal and "Bish" Waller. I knew the om as well having done maidens on "English Bridge" with him.

On a lighter note, are you sure "Rock" Hudson was torpedoed when he was 17?
Those who knew him (there are a few on here) were used to his stories and tales and I must say, that is a new one on me!
Best Wishes

Alan Melia
(Bibby Line 1967 -1975)

muldonaich
7th January 2008, 18:27
Hi Martyn,
Welcome to SN, I see you joined recently so you may not know that there is a lot of posts about Derbyshire elsewhere (e.g. look in "Bulk Carriers)
Especially Norman Marsh, Fred Chedotal and "Bish" Waller. I knew the om as well having done maidens on "English Bridge" with him.

Those who knew him (there are a few on here) were used to his stories and tales and I must say, that is a new one on me!
Best Wishes

Alan Melia
(Bibby Line 1967 -1975)yes he was topedoed at 17 kev.

Roger Bentley
7th January 2008, 20:02
I was very interested to see Bish mentioned. I had knew he had been lost on the Derbsyhire and I first came across him during 1951 when I did two trips on the old Cheshire to Aussie, Bish was the 2nd R/O and I was 3rd R/O. My last trip was a coastal one on the old Worcestershire in 1953 and the Bish was acting 1st R/O. It was just before Christmas and there was a monumental thrash in Bristol. I kept hearing banging and scratching through the bulkhead from his cabin. It turned out next day he had thought he was stood up rather than lying on the deck and had been circulating for several hours trying to find a light switch. They don't have characters like that anymore. God Bless him. Regards, Roger

M29
8th January 2008, 13:43
I was very interested to see Bish mentioned. I had knew he had been lost on the Derbsyhire and I first came across him during 1951 when I did two trips on the old Cheshire to Aussie, Bish was the 2nd R/O and I was 3rd R/O. My last trip was a coastal one on the old Worcestershire in 1953 and the Bish was acting 1st R/O. It was just before Christmas and there was a monumental thrash in Bristol. I kept hearing banging and scratching through the bulkhead from his cabin. It turned out next day he had thought he was stood up rather than lying on the deck and had been circulating for several hours trying to find a light switch. They don't have characters like that anymore. God Bless him. Regards, Roger

Roger
I coasted with "Bish" around europe before taking over from him. He was as you say a bit of a legend also a tremendous smoker. He would light up and put it in an ash tray whilst copying the weather, then take the report to the bridge, were he would light up another whilst chatting to 3/0. He would leave that one on the chart table. By know the one in the radio room was burnt down, so would light another one and so on. He had packets stashed everywhere. When he left the ship, I was still finding packets in draws, spares cupboard, under the bunk etc.
He didn't like "Jaspers" (roaches) and devised a way of keeping them away from his bunk. He kept a pile of suger in one of the draws under his day bed so as to attract them all there, the problem was, I think he had all the "Jaspers" from everyone elses cabin visiting.
In the time I was with him, he was fiercy concientious about nav warnings and weather reports and when I heard of his loss in Derbshire, I was convinced that the tragedy could not in anyway be blamed on lack of weather info by radio.
He was as you say, one of the Characters, also immensely kind to myself as a young man starting my career. It was terrible he should be lost, especially as he must have been so close to retiring.

Alan

ps his full name was I believe-- Royal Albert Waller

Roger Bentley
8th January 2008, 17:13
Thanks Alan for more memories of a great character. I do remember his smoking and for a while he used one of those cigaretter holders a la Noel Coward etc., he used to call me for the 12 to 4 entering my cabin holding his cigarette aloft and wishing me well for the next four hours.
There were many stories as to why he was called The Bishop, and the one I first heard related to a book by the author Thorne Smith, who was regarded as rather risque, one of the books was called The Bishop's Jaegers, the main character being called Waller and his nickname stemmed from that. There were also rumours that one of his family was a canon in the church. Salaams, Roger

M29
8th January 2008, 17:27
Yes Roger, there were rumours about a family religious connection.
Another memory, he had some sort of hernia, a split in his stomach muscles. He looked ok until he had a few pint's and then his tum would pop out of the defect like an instant beer gut! When I sailed with him, he had had his tap stopped by the om. This was a waste of time because everyone buying a round included "Bish" so he carried on drinking but had no incriminating bar chity's for the om to see!
Regards
Alan

michaelF
10th January 2008, 02:07
Best Wishes

Alan Melia

yes he was topedoed at 17 kev.

I remember "rocky" relating this story to me once about being torpedoed and sunk as i thought at the time in a Belfast lock . I had visions of the gates opening and the torpedo passing through and bang .It was a few years later whilst chart correcting Belfast Lough that i remembered his story and thought well ok then .

mike

gbig1
10th January 2008, 15:07
i was an ab on the devonshire twice linconshire and the canadian bridge between 1976 and 1978

M29
10th January 2008, 15:53
Roger

his full name was I believe-- Royal Albert Waller

Correction

his name was Royal Alfred Waller

Alan

Dick S
13th January 2008, 16:21
Bish Waller was R/O on my first trip, Sheldrake was master, can't rememebr Mates nameMaccleod was 2/o Dirk paulusz 3/o. Gloustershire 1966. Sailed 18 Dec. All I can remember are his fags!

muldonaich
13th January 2008, 18:33
Bish Waller was R/O on my first trip, Sheldrake was master, can't rememebr Mates nameMaccleod was 2/o Dirk paulusz 3/o. Gloustershire 1966. Sailed 18 Dec. All I can remember are his fags!anyone remember a guy redman was ch/off with bibbys in the 60s.

MartynS
17th January 2008, 00:07
Thanks Alan,

I have seen the Derbyshire posts.

I am astounded by the impact that this site is having on my normally apalling memory. I can't remember what happened last week but I have sudden clarity about events 35 years ago!

"Rock" Hudson was affectionately known as Captain Y Fronts on the Worcestershire in 72/73, as he pioneered sponsorship of his tropical kit by tucking his shirt into his underpants and then prominently displaying the Y fronts waistband a few inches above the top of his shorts. I guess that he was a trendsetter really, as he was displaying brand logos many years before my kids thought it was the height of cool!

I'm glad that others have verified the torpedo story, otherwise I would have thought that I had mixed him up with somebody else and my memory really was as shocking as everyone says!

In those days there were a number of WW2 veterans still at sea and I remember that it was common for them to have a chip on their shoulders about the lack of recognition of the service's sacrifices at that time. In those days I don't think that the Merchant Navy was included in wreath laying at cenotaphs was it?

Martyn Sutton

Hi Martyn,

Best Wishes

Alan Melia
(Bibby Line 1967 -1975)

John Williams 56-65
18th February 2008, 22:26
MartynS ; Hi Martyn; You mentioned the lack of recognition accorded to those brave Merchant Seamen/Women who sailed during the war. I don`t know if you are aware of it but recently the Veterans Agency a government department has made available a veterans lapel badge for merchant seamen who served right up till the late eighties. I only found out about this because I have the badge awarded to servicemen in recognition of their service. I wanted to know more about it so I sent off to find out a bit more about it.To my surprise I dicovered I qualified for it simply because I served on a British Troopship in the late fifties early sixties. I must admit I wear the badge I received for service in the RAF without a qualm. However I don`t feel too happy about wearing the MN equivalent as I couldn`t possibly equate my service in the MN with theirs.

Mike Kemble
18th February 2008, 22:34
I have done a lot of research into the role of the MN in WW2 and I stand in awe. Absolutely amazing the sacrifices these poor lads undertook on behlf of the people of the UK.

And - don't forget - if a seaman had a ship torpedoed from under him - his pay was stopped immediately. Thats how much the shipping compnaies cared!!!! (MAD)

Heros, real life bloody heroes.

Dick S
10th June 2008, 19:27
Hi, can anyone remember any of the crew of my last trip with Bibbys. It was the trip that Captain Sheldrake died and was buried at sea(his wife was with him). I think the other cadet was Mick MacMahon and the 3/0 was Burmese Aung Set & was it that trip that that one of the passengers was a methodist missionary who read the service?

Dick

M29
11th June 2008, 15:54
Hi Dick
Obviously I wasn't with you that trip, but you have triggered another memory. That is. I have sailed with Aung Set as well. A hell of nice guy but afraid of Ghosts etc.
If you went on the bridge for a coffee during the evening 8-12 and told him a sea ghost story, he would go in the chart room, turn up the lights and wouldn't come out again!

Best wishes

Alan

RUTH SCULLY
6th July 2008, 20:25
Hi My Name Is Ruth Scully My Father Sailed On The Devonshire In June 83 To October 83 Where Sadly He Died.did You Sail With Him?if So I Would Love To Hear Any Stories You Have About Him.thanks X

thobshropshire
4th September 2008, 12:58
Hi Ken,

When I read this, I thought that I might have been the 3/O without a ticket, but having tested my normally abominable memory, I startled myself by remembering that I joined the Herefordshire in April 1974 in Destrehan.

Best regards,

Martyn Sutton

Hi Martyn,
I saw your post on the SA Orangeland incident and my memory was jogged also.
I was in a hotel in East London waiting for the Hereford to come in as I and several others had just flown out to join her.
I could not recall the name of the vessel until I saw this thread. We watched from the hotel as the ship made a run for the open sea and then the lights on her went out...

I was joining the Hereford as 4th engineer, wasn't that the trip when Alan Godfrey was Chief Engineer and we had his wife and daughter onboard sometime also?

Regards
Terry O'Brien

monty53
4th September 2008, 20:01
Hi everyone: Great to read so much about Bibby Line of Liverpool.* Joined the Coventry City in 1973 as a junior engineer when she was chartered to S.W.A.L running from Scandinavia down to West Africa.* Two round trips made up your four month stints at that time.* Never forgot the second engineer a James (Jim) Hearn from Edinburgh and the Chief: Reg Willoughby from geordie land. My third engineer at the time was a glasswegian:* Bill Cowan who went on to work at Mirrlees engines at Stockport.* Then the next ship was the OBO "Ocean Bridge". Soon discovered that Bulk carriers and other like vessels were not to my liking after the general cargo ships, so left during 1974 and joined the offshore industry where money and work was in great abundance.* But never forgot the memorable experience of going to sea and being on watch as an engineer.

sparksatsea
6th September 2008, 15:39
Hi,

All you ex Bibby Line ... does anybody have a photograph of the bulker
Berkshire/GYZK which I could use please??

Cheers

Geoff Valentine

ex R/O

sparksatsea
6th September 2008, 15:42
Hi Monty,

Strange, I knew Bill Cowan very well in the late 70's, used to drink at the same watering hole in Cheadle Hulme... I think he went to Singapore as Mirlees top guy out there. Sadly ost touch with him though

cheers

Geoff Valentine

Tinkerboy
8th November 2008, 00:27
Sailed on the Coventry City out of Avonmouth on charter to Bristol City Lines up the Lakes. We were in Chigago and Detroit 66-67 when the civil rights riots were going on. How things have changed. Remember Expo 67 at Montreal. Climbing over the fence to feed the buffalos while we were waiting to go into the Seaway, broad daylight at about four in the morning. Happy Days.

lesmartin
12th November 2008, 13:41
Hi was on ??shire which grounded in the st lawrence in 1965/6 captain tommy cooper has anyone got more details pictures

M29
12th November 2008, 15:27
Hi was on ??shire which grounded in the st lawrence in 1965/6 captain tommy cooper has anyone got more details pictures

Hi
No detail on that, save to say that "Tommy" Cooper had a number of "incidents" to his record (not his fault I hasten to add) and that in my time with the company, he was always known as "Crash a day Cooper"

I believe he had several groundings, and a bulk cargo gantry to his credit.

Regards
Alan

mkrc97
30th November 2008, 05:14
Jeff

Did a couple of trips on the Berkshire, I know i have one of the oxo, but will see what i have when i get home this time.

Robert Cook Ex R/O

John Petches
8th December 2008, 02:04
i was an ab on the devonshire twice linconshire and the canadian bridge between 1976 and 1978

When i was on the Devonshire Alan Talor was the Cook i also saled on Canadian bridge before i was on the Devonshire

walneyite
17th January 2009, 17:28
Hi, can anyone remember any of the crew of my last trip with Bibbys. It was the trip that Captain Sheldrake died and was buried at sea(his wife was with him). I think the other cadet was Mick MacMahon and the 3/0 was Burmese Aung Set & was it that trip that that one of the passengers was a methodist missionary who read the service?

Dick
Just beginning to get to grips with the site.I sailed on the staffordshire between april-september 69 under sheldrake what was the actual date he died.

Dick S
23rd January 2009, 14:49
Shelly died in early 1970 but will check my discharge book for a more accurate one.

Richard

ClanRobson
19th March 2009, 11:12
Hi Roger

I was wondering if you could help me. My Grandfather Joseph Vernon Robson began his career with Bibby in 1939. He was a Chief Engineer. I think he was aboard the HMS Salpion (Shropshire) when it was sunk off the coast of Greenland in 1941. Needless to say he survived that and the war. After the war he was CE on the migration ships that went to Australia, New Zealand and the Far East. As his health deteriorated he took a shore job in Liverpool with Bibby hiring and firing ship's captains. He retired about 1968/1970 and sadly passed away in 1975. I don't suppose anyone knew him?
Best Regards Carolyn

JKB
29th April 2009, 00:40
...My third engineer at the time was a glasswegian:* Bill Cowan who went on to work at Mirrlees engines at Stockport.*

I last heard of Bill Cowan working for MAN B&W (who took over Mirrlees Blackstone) in Singapore as a Sales Bloke.

calway
17th May 2009, 20:29
does anyone remember Robert Prescott he died on the Liverpool Bridge along with Maxwell Biggam, i remember his mate sparky and tina and steve.
He sailed on
The Canadian Bridge
the Devonshire
The Warwickshire
The Pacific Bridge
The westminster, and some others
I would love to hear any stories that he got up to while at sea

michaelF
23rd May 2009, 21:12
just like to see if anyone remembers rob prescott

Hi Calway,
i will reply here rather than pm again . I have checked my discharge book , I was not on the Pacific Bridge or the warwickshire at the same time as your brother Rob Prescott . Looking at the photos you posted our paths never crossed , i feel sure somebody on this site will have known him.
Are you saying (in your pm ) that the photo i posted on the warwickshire thread of peter Hughes is him or that you also have a photo of those people , there was one person on the photo that i could not remember the name of .

mike

davidhab
19th June 2009, 14:34
Hi Calway,
i will reply here rather than pm again . I have checked my discharge book , I was not on the Pacific Bridge or the warwickshire at the same time as your brother Rob Prescott . Looking at the photos you posted our paths never crossed , i feel sure somebody on this site will have known him.
Are you saying (in your pm ) that the photo i posted on the warwickshire thread of peter Hughes is him or that you also have a photo of those people , there was one person on the photo that i could not remember the name of .

mike

I served as EDH on the Wiltshire from March 1973 and GP1 on the Austrailian Bridge Feb to June 1974 does anyone remember me David Hoey.

Gerard Carmichael
3rd August 2009, 20:27
Hi everybody,

Rgds

DerekT

Hi Derek, I'm not a Bibbyman, but worked with Colin Wicks & Hugh Owen,both Bibbymen as Pilots at Zuetina (Libya )1978, I remember Colin Wicks metioned he was ch.off on a Bibby's OBO that blew up while tank cleaning,killed several crew,but he survived,stays in Hull,has a couple of shops. Hughie Owen retired as Marine Spt. at Zuetina,guess living on his GOLDEN HANDSHAKE. regards

Pat Kennedy
3rd August 2009, 20:39
I read in today's Liverpool Echo that Bibby's have just taken delivery of a new 56000 ton bulk carrier named Shropshire from a builder in Shanghai.
Pat

Abbeywood.
8th September 2009, 12:11
Here is a picture of him

mike

Is that Dave Miley, Purser, sitting on the left. ?.

Abbeywood.
8th September 2009, 13:44
What a fantastic wake-up this thread has been. Long forgotten names coming out of the woodwork, alas many no longer with us.
I joined Bibby's in Jan' 1967, initially coasting in the Staffordshire and the Toronto City.
Deep-sea in the Worcestershire, 20/4/67 to 12/1/68.
Lancashire 25/4/68. to 26/1/69. and again, 30/5/69 to 12/1/70.
Atlantic Bridge: 26/10/70 to 4/2/71, and again, 16/3/72 to 14/8/72
Coventry City: 7/5/71 to 16/12/71.
(new) Lancashire: 7/10/72 to 22/2/73.
Toronto City: 25/5/73 to 14/11/73.
Lincolnshire: 9/2/74 to 13/7/74.
Australian Bridge: 12/11/74 to 15/3/75.
Rotated in the Dart America/Atlantic: 10/5/75 to 11/2/80.
Thoroughly enjoyed them all, but some more than others. Both the the 'City boats' would have been great except for the presence of Davey, Paxman.
Anybody remember 'Blood', 'Sweat', and 'Tears' in the Coventry City.

John Callon
8th September 2009, 16:02
Must have sailed with you Abbeywood. I joined Bibbys in 1960 and on and off was wth them for 16 years, last ships Dart Containerline.
John Callon,
Ex Purser.

John Hebblewhite
8th September 2009, 20:16
I dont see a lot regarding the Bibby Line Tankers, I served for three voyages 2000 to 2003 on the Marinor as well as a tour on the N.P.Unity mostly around Trinadad.

John

Abbeywood.
9th September 2009, 06:42
Must have sailed with you Abbeywood. I joined Bibbys in 1960 and on and off was wth them for 16 years, last ships Dart Containerline.
John Callon,
Ex Purser.

I certainly do remember you John, felicitations.
Others that come to mind are Capt Dougie Hine, Chief Eng's Macdonald and Crook, 'Eggon' Reg Willoughby, 'Steam-boat' Kenny Williams.
Nigel Malpass was a 2Mate but obviously went on to better things.
Alan Robinson, 3E, and how about 'Aggie', Gordon Agnes the 'Hully-gully' 3E, a left over from the 'real' Bristol City Line.
Mick ? the Bo'sun, and 'Nobby' Hobden, the E.R.Storekeeper, both in the Dart Atlantic, Your colleague Jas' Brain. I was trying to remember another of your ilk, Fred ?, (from Scouseland) he had a long period ashore thru' illness, but brave boy, came back.
Then of course there's me, another 'professional Third'. Once seen never forgotten. Pete' Lambert.
To all who know me, greetings, to those who don't know me. Tough luck

John Callon
9th September 2009, 22:11
Hi Pete,
Good to hear from you after all this time. Christ some of the names you mentioned I had forgotten all about. Alan Robinson I knew very well but I had forgotten about Gordon Aggie. There was also a 4th Engineer on the Dart Ships, big guy, I think his name was Jamie and came from Glasgow, but can't remember his last name. As for Willie Crook who made Chief Engineer I sailed with him on the troopship Devonshire when he was a Jnr Engineer, and then again on the Shropshire when he was 2nd. The Scouser Fred whome you were referring to was Fred Willis, but I did not knoiw that he had been ill. I wonder how many of the guys from those days are still around.
Take care, best Regards,
John.

Abbeywood.
10th September 2009, 11:01
Futher to my pevious posting.
When entering the E.Rm on the Coventry City, the three Paxman 'gennies'
were plainly visible below.
We crew changed in Lourenco Marques,(7/5/71), the 3E I relieved had not been too impressed with Paxmans and had named them 'Blood', 'Sweat', and 'Tears', painting the names on the Exciter boxes. D.J.Bibby, on one of his regular inspection tours, was not overly impressed. and the offending names were soon painted out, but the sentiment still remained.
Round the world, with Bristol City Line still painted on the sides of the Accom-odation, turned a few heads on the Aussie coast. Suggestions that perhaps we'd lost our way. Carried grain from Geelong to Valparaiso, dropped an old
Paxman crankcase off in the Tasman.
John Routledge was the OM, and Fred Hansen was the Chief Eng.

Abbeywood.
10th September 2009, 11:23
Joined Toronto City (25/5/73) In Santander, Spain, Ship on a charter to Transatlantic Rederii, (Sweden) and operating from Scandinavian ports to West Africa,
The only thing in its favour was at the northern end of the trip though we did get as far south as Lobito, in Angola. with visits so Sao Tome island.
Once again Davey, Paxman reared its head and one 'gennie' ,(No 3) went 'walk-about' one evening, and damaged no 2 m/c. Of course these things always happen at the best times, No1 down and partially stripped for O/haul.
Such was the parlous state of the Main Alt's that a Rolls-Royce emegency set had been set up on the Aft Deckhouse, and as per Sod's Law that lasted only a couple of hours before expiring. 38 hrs later power was restored and we were off again. How the time flies, etc.
Glad to see Copenhagen airport and the plane home.

Colin McClelland
10th September 2009, 21:11
HI EVERYONE
I was with bibbys from 1970 to 1977, I was 2/eng. on, old &new yorkshire,
shropshire, berkshire, hampshire, ocean bridge, atlantic bridge, australian bridge, .
I then left to work in canada, usa, mexico, before retiring.

regards to all
colin

R396040
17th September 2009, 21:27
Have never sailed with Bibby Line but did apply in early seventies and as a result received a small company booklet which gave a potted history of the company and details with some photos of its fleet at that time and a few earlier vessels.
The wife has ordered a clear out so I was going to throw it out but thought there might be some member who might like it as a souvenier or a bit of nostalgia. Get in touch and I will forward it. One copy only Im afraid .
Best wishes
Stuart Henderson
France

Pat Kennedy
18th September 2009, 13:22
Mention was made earlier in this thread of Sir Derek Bibby, who was president of the Bibby Company, and a very well regarded figure on the Wirral where he lived. Her was a philanthropist and had supported many youth initiatives locally.
Sadly, he contracted leukemia, and in October 2002, decided to end his own life. Apparently he swallowed a weedkiller, aluminium phosphide, and when he died , it was found that his body was giving off toxic fumes. It was reported that the Arrowe Park hospital A&E unit, where he had been brought, had to be closed down, and that several members of staff suffered respitory problems because of the fumes.
An unhappy end for a very kind and generous man.

Jan Hendrik
19th September 2009, 14:57
John, you mentioned the MARINOR.
As far as I recall she was managed through Botany Bay Shipping of Sydney which company at the time was for 50 percent owned by Bibby Line.
She carried specialised cargo on the Canada East U.S. coast.
I was only slightly involved at the time.

Particulars:
IMO: 9043794
Built 1992 Scheepswerf Welgelegen Harlingen
GRT 4950 DWT 7930 loa 112 m beam 18 m.

Double hull, all stainless steel tanks , some of which yet had to be painted for the protection of certain chemicals.
The cargo can be heated up to 70 degrees C.
Some tanks were used for clay slurrie and others for sulphuric acid.
Vessel was sold to Stolt Gannet BV of Rotterdam in 2005, and operated through Stolt Tankers, renamed Stolt Gannet.
Jan

Abbeywood.
22nd November 2009, 12:11
Greetings 'macd' I noticed that you signed off as 'Don' and that triggered a past memory.
Did you sail in the 'Dart Atlantic' in the opposite crew to that with Willie Crook as Chief Eng. and originate from the Isles, or am I thinking of an entirely different person. I was 3rd Eng at that time.
PL.

Abbeywood.
22nd November 2009, 12:28
Garfield Toby the fearsome Personnel Manager during my stint from 1972 to 1976 was never at sea as far as I know. I am sure that I remember being told by somebody that he lost his eye and part of his face as a result of taking a direct hit while he was serving in a tank during the war. I also recall Captain Hudson spent his 17th birthday in a lifeboat, having been torpedoed. He was my first 'old man' on the Worcestershire in 1972.

Martyn Sutton

I was always under the impression that his name was Gerald Toby.

Abbeywood.
22nd November 2009, 13:12
For the life of me I cannot remember what the name of the Personnel manager was, (Ian ?), when I joined Bibby's (April, 1967), but before the advent of computer programmes for everything, Bibby's sea-going personnel were located by a large board behind the managers desk, fitted with evenly spsced hooks, about 160 in number, on which little tallies, each with the crew members name, were hung against the ships name. There were only nine or ten ships at that time.
Apparently one evening, one of the cleaning squad got over enthusiastic with a feather duster, sweeping the tallies off the board.
Being concientious, she picked them up and replaced them on the hooks, but not neccessarily in the right order, a problem that took weeks to sort out.
About six-months or so later somebody in the Office happened to mention a
3rd Eng's name, and, on studying the board, his disk could not be seen. This led to more searching and the disk in question was finally located, stuck in the ribs of a radiator. This led to a search for the whereabouts of the said
3E, who was eventually found at home with his feet up. having been on leave on full pay, waiting to be recalled. There but for the grace of God, etc.

John Callon
22nd November 2009, 14:54
I was always under the impression that his name was Gerald Toby.

Hi Pete,
You are thinking about Gordon Toby, lost an eye during WW2 and as result wore a black eye patch. He looked after all the Deck Personnel and John Atkinson looked after the Engine Room Officers. The Head personnel guy was Bob Owen.
Regards,
John Callon.

Abbeywood.
23rd November 2009, 13:44
Hi Pete,
You are thinking about Gordon Toby, lost an eye during WW2 and as result wore a black eye patch. He looked after all the Deck Personnel and John Atkinson looked after the Engine Room Officers. The Head personnel guy was Bob Owen.
Regards,
John Callon.

Thanks John, you're a gem.
Obviously advanced senility setting in, on my part.
You don't happen to know what happened to Dave Miley, (one of your's), who 'got booted upstairs' as they say.
Another PCS, 'Tony Maldonado. saiiled with him when he was Engineers Steward in the Rippingham Grange, (Houlders), in 1961, and then in the Atlantic Bridge in '72.
Couple of other PCS's who's names escape me. Gerry ----?, Tall guy, from 'Scouse-ville', and also from that 'neck-of -the-woods', a guy about 60-ish who had dubious connections in the L' pool area, (Bob ----?)
All the best, Pete'

John Callon
23rd November 2009, 22:42
Thanks John, you're a gem.
Obviously advanced senility setting in, on my part.
You don't happen to know what happened to Dave Miley, (one of your's), who 'got booted upstairs' as they say.
Another PCS, 'Tony Maldonado. saiiled with him when he was Engineers Steward in the Rippingham Grange, (Houlders), in 1961, and then in the Atlantic Bridge in '72.
Couple of other PCS's who's names escape me. Gerry ----?, Tall guy, from 'Scouse-ville', and also from that 'neck-of -the-woods', a guy about 60-ish who had dubious connections in the L' pool area, (Bob ----?)
All the best, Pete'

Hi Pete,

Sorry can't help you with where Dave Miley ended up nor Tony Maldonado. I also knew Tony before he joined Bibbys. I was on a ships cooks course with him when he was with Harrisons and convinced him to apply for a job with Bibbys. The other two guys you mentioned would be Gerry Hislop and Bob Grey, both from Liverpool and both Purser/CStwd.
Regards,
John.

Abbeywood.
24th November 2009, 16:26
Hi Pete,

Sorry can't help you with where Dave Miley ended up nor Tony Maldonado. I also knew Tony before he joined Bibbys. I was on a ships cooks course with him when he was with Harrisons and convinced him to apply for a job with Bibbys. The other two guys you mentioned would be Gerry Hislop and Bob Grey, both from Liverpool and both Purser/CStwd.
Regards,
John.

Once again, many thanks John. Both names suit my train of thought.
Think I'll sign you on as my full time researcher. Us people living off-shore, do tend to loose track.
Couple of more names to conjour with; Tommy Marsh C.Eng, ex Chief of the Oxfordshire, (Trooper) John Edgington, 3E in the CSAV ships, Dudley Alcock and Bob Ferry, both RO's
All the very best, Pete'

M29
25th November 2009, 18:54
Once again, many thanks John. Both names suit my train of thought.
Think I'll sign you on as my full time researcher. Us people living off-shore, do tend to loose track.
Couple of more names to conjour with; Tommy Marsh C.Eng, ex Chief of the Oxfordshire, (Trooper) John Edgington, 3E in the CSAV ships, Dudley Alcock and Bob Ferry, both RO's
All the very best, Pete'

High Pete and John C.
Sailed on many of the same ships as you also with John C (see earlier in thread)
You and I must have had a drink together Pete on Atlantic Bridge 27/10/1970 because you joined the day before and I left on the 28th!!!
Our team was Eric (Jumbo) Jones Captain, Ron Neish, Ken Gowsell and Roger Madison were the mates. Roy MacNeil I think was PCS.
C/E was Robertson, Dave Barnes and Willi ?? 3/E's 5/E Phil ??? I can't remember who the Electrician was except that he looked like the guy who presented the "Old Grey Whistle Test" on TV.

Best Wishes

Alan

Abbeywood.
1st December 2009, 14:33
Anybody ever come across an OM named Tim Stafford. He sailed in command of the 'Lincolnshire', (Gas-carrier),early in 1974. Great OM to sail with and introduced 'Bar Rugby' to the entertainment list.
We both left the ship in Table Bay and booked into the Heerengracht Hotel in Capetown, Before anything else, a case of 'Castle' was ordered. Lovely
I did hear that that he had taken up a position as Harbour Master at Ras Tanura though dont know if this fact.

haywood
1st December 2009, 20:28
Sailed on the Coventry City out of Avonmouth on charter to Bristol City Lines up the Lakes. We were in Chigago and Detroit 66-67 when the civil rights riots were going on. How things have changed. Remember Expo 67 at Montreal. Climbing over the fence to feed the buffalos while we were waiting to go into the Seaway, broad daylight at about four in the morning. Happy Days.

hi im Barry Haywood was peggy /ast steward 67 the cook was an old bibby line man of meny years the other steward Jhon cook from Mansfield pantry boy was Vic Palaster also from mansfield not far from me I was allso there in the riots Newark Cleavland Detroit Chigargo It was a butifull ship Ho and the boson was in his late 60s and about the fittest man aboard

John Hebblewhite
6th December 2009, 14:38
Thanks for your reply Jan, she was re-piped on deck for operating as a real chemical tanker in 2001/02. Went on Time charter for Armada. Chartered as a super do it all vessel which she was not. Unfortunately Bibby got the replacement pipe gauges wrong and we spent a lot of time and heartache dealing with split pipes and leaking cargo on deck. She was basically only a acid carrier.
Sorry for the late reply on this one.

Rgds John

John, you mentioned the MARINOR.
As far as I recall she was managed through Botany Bay Shipping of Sydney which company at the time was for 50 percent owned by Bibby Line.
She carried specialised cargo on the Canada East U.S. coast.
I was only slightly involved at the time.

Particulars:
IMO: 9043794
Built 1992 Scheepswerf Welgelegen Harlingen
GRT 4950 DWT 7930 loa 112 m beam 18 m.

Double hull, all stainless steel tanks , some of which yet had to be painted for the protection of certain chemicals.
The cargo can be heated up to 70 degrees C.
Some tanks were used for clay slurrie and others for sulphuric acid.
Vessel was sold to Stolt Gannet BV of Rotterdam in 2005, and operated through Stolt Tankers, renamed Stolt Gannet.
Jan

Abbeywood.
13th December 2009, 13:16
Has any other old Bibby hands heard of the strange phenomenon on the 'Wiltshire' a gas-tanker on long-term charter from G. Gibson of Leith and manned by Bibby personnel.
It seems that the ship was fitted with Bridge control of the Main Engine and operated through an electronic Woodward governor.During one particular voyage problems were experienced with the engine slowing down for no apparent reason and defied explaination,
That is until one evening in the Bar 'Sparky' posed the question as to why every time he went on the air to send off the weather reports the ship slowed down. It did'nt too much brain power to put two and two together, and by testing it was found that the radio frequency was interfering with the electronics of the governor.
It is unknown what the technical outcome of this was, except to say that the frequencies were divided and normality reigned.

Stuart.Henderson
13th December 2009, 21:03
I was on the Wiltshire on her maiden voyage and the bridge control was a problem for the first few months.

The main engine would suddenly stop leaving the ship in darkness, this could happen several times a day resulting in reverting to manual control. Our first cargo was from the Gulf of Mexico up to Antwerp. Coming up the English Channel things seemed to OK on bridge control only to find when picking up the pilot for Antwerp we passed the pilot boat at 15 knots and main engine wouldn't stop!

We paid off in Kuwait after 8 months and everthing seemed to be fine by then.

John Callon
14th December 2009, 00:07
Can any of you Bibby lads remember Capt Albert Young? Devonshire, during the last war, he was one of the top men in the company.

Remember Captain Albert Young very well. Sailed wih him on the Shropshire in 1965 and then again on on the Staffordshire 1972. He had quite a reputation in Bibby Line and was known as Tiger Young. I found him to be a very strict Master, but also a very fair one. He could soon suss out who was doing the bullshit. Every evening he used to come down to my cabin and have a few whiskies before Dinner. I was Purser oin the Staffordshire. He was also Captain of the Cheshire when she was trapped in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs
fiasco.
Regards
John

Abbeywood.
14th December 2009, 12:47
Remember Captain Albert Young very well. Sailed wih him on the Shropshire in 1965 and then again on on the Staffordshire 1972. He had quite a reputation in Bibby Line and was known as Tiger Young. I found him to be a very strict Master, but also a very fair one. He could soon suss out who was doing the bullshit. Every evening he used to come down to my cabin and have a few whiskies before Dinner. I was Purser oin the Staffordshire. He was also Captain of the Cheshire when she was trapped in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs
fiasco.
Regards
John

Your a terrible man John, keep on bringing those long-forgotten names to the fore.
While I dont ever recall meeting Capt Young I did spend some time coasting the Staffordshire, one of DJB's BOGOF twins, (Buy one, get one free)
I believe he paid Prince Line the princely, no pun intended, sum of 250,000 for both the Staffordshire, and Gloucestershire. And they were well
used by the time the pink paint reached the funnels.
The ME was reasonable for its age but the auxiliaries left much to be desired
Four Foden engines plus one Hamworthy steam generator, with a further Foden fitted in the ex-Cadets cabin on the boat-deck, to drive the Air-conditioning plant.
One of the Fodens in the ER had its exhaust piped into a redundant atmosphere pipe of a previously Steam generator, and without any Silencer.
One could hear the noise on the Dock Road
Seldom did a voyage end with all five Fodens intact and it was generally the A/C driver that went first, Cannibalised for spares.
Steam Air compressors and always a struggle to maintain sufficient air during heavy manoeuvering. Apart from that the job was relatively easy. ?
However both ships seem to have paid for themselves in their short life in the Company, before the collapse of the Burma trade.

walneyite
18th December 2009, 13:23
I did my first trip on the staffordshire apr-nov 69 and can remember those foden gennies well, I think they ran @ very high revs and nearly took off before the governor kicked in, I can remember the cooling hose to one of them splitting sending an arc of water across to the D.C. board and literally blowing the board up.We were wallowing without power for days, this was only one incident I think the longest run we managed in 6 months was 3 days.

Abbeywood.
22nd December 2009, 13:22
I did my first trip on the staffordshire apr-nov 69 and can remember those foden gennies well, I think they ran @ very high revs and nearly took off before the governor kicked in, I can remember the cooling hose to one of them splitting sending an arc of water across to the D.C. board and literally blowing the board up.We were wallowing without power for days, this was only one incident I think the longest run we managed in 6 months was 3 days.

Methinks the Fodens ran at 1500rpm with battery start. Were'nt the batteries stowed at the front of the switchboard, held in place by their sheer weight, with a pictureque arrangement of wiring.
Remember on one occasion while manoeuvring in L'pool docks, One of the ME air-start valves was a bit sluggish in closing and the pistons assisted by chopping the the valve head off. The valve stem and workings shot across the ER, bouncing hither and thither, to the accompanyment of a full blast of air, as the bottles swiftly drained. Call for tugs.
Oh what fun we had.

Billieboy
22nd December 2009, 15:12
The Foden engines were Gardiner wet liner engines, after a single piston Petter, the most reliable diesel engine ever built!

Abbeywood.
9th January 2010, 08:50
Now then all you Bibby stalwarts. Who can provide the name of the Stores Manager incumbent at the Old Stores at Birkenhead West Float.
Think it had a Scottish, (or Irish), leaning.
Remember my first visit to the site, with excess baggage to be forwarded on, for a crew change in Long Beach, Ca.
Archaic does'nt really do the term justice, In the yard was a spare tailshaft and propeller marked as for the Cheshire of the 1920's, what the hell use that was is anybody's guess. There were no windows in the place, so that the local sparrow population had free access, and did so.
Nobody around, shouted out, and a faint voice was heard, but it defied location, until the said Manager suddenly appeared, as if from out of the blue. 'Hallo, lad, how you doin' came the friendly introduction, 'come in the office and have a cuppa'. The Office was, well, where?. I was guided down a narrow alleyway, and there it was. Warm and cosy, and so it should have been as it was fully 'lagged' with thousands of old ER logsheets and Deck log books. A fire hazard it most certainly was, but then the HSE was just a figment of sombody's imagination.
Tea served, pleasant conversation, then off I jolly well went, but I'll not forget that throwback from the Middle Ages. I wonder ?. Is it still there. ?
Surely others must also recall it in all its glory

John Callon
9th January 2010, 13:10
Hi Pete,

The store manager in the Bibby Line Stores was Paddy McGinnty, and the name of the stores was the Kymo. Why it was called that I have no idea - it was situated by the West Float in Birkenhead Docks.
Regards,
John.

Abbeywood.
10th January 2010, 14:36
Hi Pete,

The store manager in the Bibby Line Stores was Paddy McGinnty, and the name of the stores was the Kymo. Why it was called that I have no idea - it was situated by the West Float in Birkenhead Docks.
Regards,
John.

Dont know why, but I suspected that you might be the first to reply.
Thanks for the info. By the reading thereof it would appear to have been demolished though it seemed old enough to have a preservation order slapped on it. And probably on Paddy, as well.
I'll have to think up another poser for you, now, John. Many ta's for the info', again.
Pete'

Pat Kennedy
10th January 2010, 19:58
There was a later stores in Birkenhead, which was situated on a small industrial estate adjacent to the Manganese Bronze propeller works on the Dock Rd, just across from the grain berth.
This was in the late 70s, and I often delivered safety equipment there for onward shipment to Bibby Line vessels.
The staff there were two ex dockworkers who had worked for many years at the Bibby Line loading berth at No 1 West Float, and the chap in charge was a Bibby Line functionary whose name I forget, but who was referred to by his staff as 'Stonks', an unpleasant fellow.
I also used to visit the Liverpool office in Duke St, frequently to see the chap responsible for ordering up safety equipment, and to discuss the needs of the various ships. he was a very pleasant fellow, and often took me for lunch to his favourite watering hole, the Oriel.
Again, I have, to my regret, forgotten his name.
Bibby Line was always a pleasure to deal with.(Except for Stonks)
Pat

M29
14th January 2010, 14:05
Hi everyone.
Talking of Bibby Stores, how many of you penetrated the cellars of Martins Bank Building?
Their were a number of doors (green I think) behind which were store rooms containing all sorts of records (John C, I bet you have been down there!)
I ran out of leave and was asked if I would work on the 7th floor and learn a bit about the office work. I am glad to say, I was only there a couple of week before my next ship.
I was sent down to the cellar to get some radio accounts that were stored there. The radio department had their own "Green Door" and I was furnished with the key.
Apart from the radio records, I found many spools of recording tape from the days of "Trooping". They had lables on them indicating the music contained. They were all miltary marches and music to be used duirng inspecting the troops etc for the various regiments carried. There was much other such memerobilia, all now obsolete.
Oddly, the accounts I was checking were my own, from a ship two years previously!!
Talking of the office, John, you once entertained us one eveing on Dart Atlantic, telling us the nicknames of the various characters working for the company, I can remember you telling us about "Those were the days Hayes" perhaps you can recall some for us? so we can remember some of them.

Best Wishes

Alan

John Callon
14th January 2010, 23:42
Hi Alan,
Good to read your post re Bibby Line cellars deep below Martins Bank Building.
Yes I did have the good fortune to gain access down there (or misfortune, depends how you look at it) - it really was an archive in every sense. There were crew lists, passenger lists, Portage Bills and God knows what else all going back to the start of time. Also down there was all the blank stationery etc. If you required a new pencil or pen, you had to put a requisition in for one and give it to this guy who was in charge of that inventory. He would seem to disappear for hours and then eventually surface with what you required. Regarding the nicknames of the office staff Alan, the last thing I want is a law suit slapped on me. You never know who reads these threads and posts.
Regards,
John.

M29
15th January 2010, 09:54
John
Thanks for the reply and very wise regarding those who listen in.
I seem to remember that the cellars were the domain of a sort of boiler man He had his table, tea making kit etc, all very cosy.
During my stint in the office, whilst pooring over afore mentioned radio accounts, suddenly, everyone stood up, this was because Derick Bibby was passing through. Your description of getting a pencil or pen made me laugh, it is exactly spot on, just like a scene from Dickens time (or that famous pop song "Mathew & Son"). I had occasion to staple some papers, so picked one up from a near by desk, the owner of the desk went near apoplectic, informing me that this was his stapler, not to be removed from the desk, it had taken him years to aquire one etc etc.
Another strange scene on my first morning, was the furtive opening and closing of desk draws around mid morning, the answer? a sudden stampede with tea cups as the lady with the tea trolly appeared. If you were not at the head of the queue, you didn't get a chocky biscuit!
Anyway, happy memories of a world now sadly gone and nice to hear drom you John.

Best Wishes

Alan

Dick S
17th January 2010, 17:19
Blumming heck how archaic standing up for Dereck Bibby - I grew up up near sir harold's estate in cheshire and it was the father of a friend of mine, the gamekeeper who found the body of dereck's brother's body after he commited suicide in the local woods! The local staff while givimg sir H respect he deserved never seem to kow tow that much. seems like a carry over from a military background - did they stand at ease to attention?
Ah yes though happy days I remeber sailing with you John in 67 on I think the lancashire it was when the Pound was devalued I think as we had just got a sub before it happened!!!I think Swift was capt at the time
Dick

John Callon
17th January 2010, 21:59
Hi Dick S.
Yes I was on the Lancashire in 1967 when the pound was devalued. We actually got the news of this in Vancouver. I am afraid I don't know who you are as Dick S. does not tell me very much - perhaps you could enlighten me. Kenny Swift was the Captain, it was his frist trip in command - which turned out to be quite an eventful one.
Regards,
John.

M29
18th January 2010, 13:40
Dick
I hope you are not accusing John C of devaluing the pound(Jester)

Yes, they all stood to a sort of attention. It seemed to me, to be expected because their boss was passing through, I don't know if there was any genuine respect. I got the distinct impression that he prefered the seagoing staff more, being as he was ex-army himself.
I think he had a sense of humour. He came in the radio room, of I think the "New" Cheshire (car/bulk carrier) that I had joined for completion and trials. After setting up a radio telephone call for him, he observed my shining aerial tubing around the the deckhead of the radio room. "I thought I had ordered all these to be painted red" he said. I told him they looked better traditionally polished.
"who polishes them?" he said.
"I do" I said.
"Who pays for the Brasso?" he said.
"You do Mr Bibby". I said.
He didn't say anything more, and I never heard anymore about it and the aerials remained polished, not painted.
His memory for names was remarkable, he addressed most people on board by their names when he made one of his ship visits, he may have done his research before visiting but I believe it was genuine because if he met you out of context, such as at head office in civies, he would still recognise you.
He spent a couple of weeks around the Med with us on Holiday (D. Hine was captain) and he would stand a round in the Bar, and put up Brandy as prizes in Table tennis matches that the Chineese crew always won[=P]

Best Wishes
Alan

Abbeywood.
19th January 2010, 11:37
Hi John, et al. Been a non-browser for a few days so catching up with the latest, especially the 'trawling' thru' the subterranean archives of Water Street. Probably explains why 'McGinty's Kymo lair was so well 'lagged'.
Just checked my discharge book and I see that I began my first trip in the Lancashire in L.A. on 25th April 1968 and signed off in San Francisco on 26th January 1969, so that would have been her last trip on the Japan Line charter, more's the pity. Most enjoyable, to say the least. John Woodfield was the master.
Rejoined her again, four months later, but can't remember who the charter was with, but we visited such mind numbing ports as Jeddah and Basra, where the ship was arrested, and spent about ten days in the Shatt al-arab, before the charterers settled their bills, where-ever they had incurred them.
Bet Mr Derek was 'chuffed' when he heard about that.
From Jeddah, we made a mad dash via Colombo, for bunkers,to Singapore, Port Swettenham and Penang, with a ME cylinder head joint blowing all the way from Aden. Could'nt stop or the ship would have missed the charter
Loaded sawn timber in all three ports under a 'Menageries' charter to Europe. With the Suez Canal still blocked, home round the Cape, slowing down en route to offer assistance to the Shell tanker 'Marpessa' who wanted some ship to approach the bow, and couple up to the for'd section of her Fire-main, but, as we had a deck cargo of timber, that did not seem a very good idea, in the circumstance so we went on our way with thanks.
Called at St Louis du Rhone, near Marseilles, Cadiz, tried for Sevile but too deep for the Guadalquivir, Biarritz, Nantes, L'Orient and even managed to get up the Caen Canal to that city.. Signed off in Antwerp
All-in-all the ;Lanky' was a good little ship with nothing very complicated. I enjoyed both trips in her.

Dick S
22nd January 2010, 00:46
Hi john alan et al
was one of the cadets there with Bill Folley and 2 others remember their names not! Think the mate joined the RAF as askipper on its sar launches later on. I remember Derek Bibbys talks before sailing and on Shelley's last trip he(shelly) fell asleep and stated snoring, Then to cap it all one of the Bibby Children fell down the stairs and started bawling - my fault of course! as I pick him up at the bottom!

I remember seeing you in the head office John just as the tea trolley was coming round, I'd come to hand in my resignation for greener pastures(ploughed them up quite soon)

Also an Interesting point I can still remember Sir Harold leading the Armistice day parade in Tarporley when I took part as a Boy Scout - That wasn't yesterday.

Also is it true that Sir H. took the ferry across the Mersey as it was cheaper than the train?

Regards to all ex Bibby people I sailed with all those years ago

Dick S
Richard Stewart real name!

John Callon
24th January 2010, 23:06
Hi Pete,

Have been off the computer the last couple of days and have just seen your posting regarding the Lancashire. I left the ship in L.A. just as you joined in April 1968. We had been away since August 67 on the Japan Line Charter, wbhich was quite a good one. The only crap ports we wwent to were Calcutta and Kakinada. Effected a crew change in Calcutta. Everywhere else it was West Coast Canada, USA, Mexico - then onto to Australia, Malaysia, Hong Kong and of course Japan. The only down side of the voyage was a certain person whome shall remain nameless on this site. If you are really that interested I willl send you a PM. It was quiet an eye opener of a voyage.
I was releived by Dave Miley and he could not beleive what I was telling him.
Nor could Head Office for that matter when the voyage disbursement accounts started to come in from Agents all over the world.
Regards,
John.

John Callon
24th January 2010, 23:16
Hi john alan et al
was one of the cadets there with Bill Folley and 2 others remember their names not! Think the mate joined the RAF as askipper on its sar launches later on. I remember Derek Bibbys talks before sailing and on Shelley's last trip he(shelly) fell asleep and stated snoring, Then to cap it all one of the Bibby Children fell down the stairs and started bawling - my fault of course! as I pick him up at the bottom!

I remember seeing you in the head office John just as the tea trolley was coming round, I'd come to hand in my resignation for greener pastures(ploughed them up quite soon)

Also an Interesting point I can still remember Sir Harold leading the Armistice day parade in Tarporley when I took part as a Boy Scout - That wasn't yesterday.

Also is it true that Sir H. took the ferry across the Mersey as it was cheaper than the train?

Regards to all ex Bibby people I sailed with all those years ago

Dick S
Richard Stewart real name!

Hi Dick

Yes I do you remember you now that I know your full name. One of the other Cadets I seem to remember was Charlie Watts (not from the Stones). His Dad was either Staff Captain or Captain on one of the Saxonia Class Cunard Liners.
A fact that Captain Swift seemed to resent. All I ever seem to remember is the Cadets runnimng around with this or that book to sign which was a new directive that had been implemented. The Mate you are referring to was Mike Tyrrell, he had his wife with him, as Did Stan Harrison the Chief Engineer. I became good friends with Stan and his wife Edith, and stopped with them at their house in Scotland. Great guy.
Regards,
John

Abbeywood.
26th January 2010, 11:01
Greetings JC,
Amendment to title: (delete Troopers, add Trampers)
I seem to recall that during the trip following your departure, the 'Lancashire' made calls at Ensenada and Manzanillo, (Mexico), San Salvador,(El Salvador),Corinto,(Nicaragua), Puntarenas,(Costa Rica), Buenaventura, in Colombia, and Guayaquil, (Ecuador).the latter two proving very 'educational'
Back up to San Diego. to begin reloading for The Great Pacific Tour, much as your own, until departing on leave from San Francisco, (Redwood City actually)
Had the 'privelege' of flying with Commander James Bond, (Sean Connery).
The plane stopped off for 'bunkers' at LA then non-stop to London.
What a take off. Used most of the runway and about to start on the Inter-state before it finally lurched into the air.
The World's favourite airline. I don't think.
I look forward to a PM from your good self, and I have a reasonably strong constitution so don't spare the lurid details.
ATB, Pete'

Kevan
30th January 2010, 14:39
I was a deck cadet with Bibby Line from 1973 to 1975 during which time I sailed on MV Oxfordshire, Mv Herefordshire, MV Lancashire, MV Cheshire and also attended Riversdale college. They were certainly very formative years and it would be great to catch up with anyone I had the pleasure of sailing with.

Regards

Kevan Dickin

John Williams 56-65
15th February 2010, 22:51
Hi Pete,

Regards,
John.

Its been quite a while since I surfed this thread and have to admit it brought back a few long forgotten memories.
One particular memory is the Kymo. I don`t remember it as being in the West Float though. From my memories of the place it was on that waste ground bordered by Shore road where it ran down from the Four Bridges toward the Seacombe Ferry building. Bordered on the other side by the quayside of the East Float just inland from the Alfred Locks. I have a vague memory of visiting the place once when I accompanied the ships carpenter looking for some item of gear we didn`t carry aboard. It was a real ramshackle building as has already been mentioned, and probably blew down in a wind or burned down long before the changes that have taken place over the years to the Birkenhead docks.

Abbeywood.
21st February 2010, 11:31
In the furtherance of reliving my younger days, and being reminded of the incumbent of Bibby's West Float stores, (i.e. 'The Kymo'/ Paddy McGinty) I'm sure some one, (probably JC), will advise me of the name of the hostelry at the bottom of Hamilton Street ?, just before crossing over the bridge.
I remember that the building next to it, had a 'Rentokill' sign on the roof though, at first, I thought it was part of the PH, because the 'beer' served there would have killed rats and mice.
I saw a guy actually eat a whole pint glass though he struggled a bit with the thick bottom. Mind boggling. !

Abbeywood.
11th May 2010, 12:45
Has there been an embargo placed on this thread, as nobody appears to have posted since my last offering of 21st February.
I know we are all getting older but surely the Grim R----r can't have gone into overdrive.
I don't think I've offended anybody, well not lately anyway.
I was rummaging thru' some old photos recently and came across a pic' of the Engineers on the 'Lancashire' of 1960-70's vintage, all fully booted and spurred, shifters at the 'Present', and one, Thomas Marsh, Chief Eng'r, holding forth.
It reminded me of the incident when the 'leckie' went 'missing' with the ship miles out at sea.
The said gentleman was known to be partial to a libation, or three, and having 'turned-to', promptly disappeared, on the pretext of lamping-up under the 'plates. At the midday handover to the 12-4, I had an Eng' Cadet on watch with me, and on enquiring as to the 'leckie's whereabouts he informed me that he was underneath me.
Somewhat puzzled, I lifted an under-floor plates access and there he was curled up on the pipework, sound-oh. finally surfacing around 1330. No wonder Tommy could'nt find him, but at least the tank top lighting was in full operation.
The things we got away with in days gone by

M29
14th May 2010, 10:01
Hi Abbeywood et al
No, we haven't all dropped of the perch but I agree the Bibby contingent are a quiet lot and posts seem to come in brief bursts, There's got to be many more of us out there but I feel because we are buried in "other shipping companies" and don't have a main site like the other big companies, ex-Bibby Liners visiting SN may think there is nothing for them on the site. Personally I have "met" several ex ship mates and enjoyed some good memories but I'm sure there are more out there. I suppose also many of our generation don't bother with computers either so may not be on-line.
Anyway, I did go to the "Kymo" a couple of times but can't help with the name of the pub by the renotkill sign.

Best Wishes

Alan

JAB1020
15th August 2010, 04:37
just found this site a month or 2 back,
Bibby line 3/0 gloucestershire 01/68-8/68
Toronto city 8/68-11/68
Atlantic bridge 11/68-7/69

It was a tough crowd to fit in with,the troopers had gone, but the skippers hadn't!
John Brown

Masirah
15th August 2010, 08:09
Hi John

Welcome to the site. It seems that we had a trip in common. I joined Atlantic Bridge in IJmuiden in 1st March 69 as 2nd mate and left in Rotterdam on 20th August 69. You must have left in Aioi where we did the 1st year warranty dry dock, (4th-10th July). We then went light ship to Mocamedes and ore to Rotterdam. We had Capt. Cooper for that voyage not that I can much about him.

If you have any memories of the trip it would be good to compare notes.

Best Regards

Michael Meredith(Masirah)

Abbeywood.
15th August 2010, 12:36
Morning gentlemen,
Great to find some one else has finally got round to posting on this site after so long. Being hidden in the 'Other companies' site does Bibby Line crew members no favours though.
I see that John did a few days in the Toronto City, and I too, having spent a few days in that gallant ship, (3.Eng/April 1967), then moved on to join the Worcestershire. and eventually Atlantic Bridge at Ymuiden in Oct'/70 to Port Talbot (Feb'/71).
After a round-the-world trip in the Coventry City,(May-Dec'/71), i then did another trip in the Atlantic Bridge, (March'72/Aug'72) leaving the ship in Caldera, Northern Chile, and bussing 19 hours down the Pan-American Highway to Santiago, before the flight back to the UK.
After the maiden voyage of the Lancashire (Oct'72/Feb'73) I was again posted to the Toronto City in May of 1973 as a supernumery 3rd Eng to try and keep the lights on, such was the parlous state of the generators which had been named by my predecessor as 'Blood','Sweat', and 'Tears', and which I had no reason to argue with. They were pretty dire, and certainly not intended to be operated in the waters of West Africa.
I eventually left the ship in Copenhagen where I saw the best engines ever, hanging from the wings of a Sabena 737 flying back to London.
I had a couple of extra beers when I heard she had been sold.
May I wish you both all the best, as us Bibby men are starting to get a bit thin on the ground as the years drift by.

Pete' Lambert

JAB1020
16th August 2010, 02:59
Hi Pete and Mike,
Mike I believe that i was with you pre Aioi and around to Mocamedes to Rotterdam, i remember Capn Cooper telling all the deck Officers that they were to go on leave in Rotterdam but they wanted me to stay for a quick run to canada and back. I gave my 5(?) days notice
to be relieved in Rotterdam. As I was leaving the ship,the capn told me that i had made a good choice, he had just rec;d orders for another japan trip!
I am the 3rd mate who had married the american girl and was planning on emigrating to the US, well 40 years later i am still in the US,a pharmacist in Charleston SC, still married to an american, albeit a different one.
Good to find a shipmate all these years later!
If i had stayed with caltex after finishing my time...who knows!

Masirah
16th August 2010, 08:29
hi John

I have a Bibby Gazette that covers time we were in Atlantic Bridge with the crew list for the voyage. We joined IJmuiden 1st March 69. Tommy Cooper, Ken Anderson(mate) you and me. TC, Ken and me had come off leave having just done a trip on Pacific Bridge, signing off in IJmuiden 25 nov 68.

Interestingly TC was the only 'Bibby man' among the deck officers, Ken you and me were all newish to the company.

We did two Narvik/Antwerp runs then across to Sept Isle and back to Taranto, from there we went to Norfolk and Newport News (6th may to 10 may), We took the coal to Muroran via Cape Town for films and mail and Singapore to change the crowd. Aioi for dry dock (03 july to 10 july) and as you say Mocamedes and Rotterdam arriving on the 20th of August.

I did one more trip on Yorkshire to Chile and back, coasted the Shropshire and then followed your example and swallowed the anchor. Now retired and living in Spain.

Good to be in touch after lots of water passing under the bridges.

Best Regards

Michael.

JAB1020
16th August 2010, 12:24
Mike,
Thanks ,it certainly brings back alot of memories, My ex wife lived in Richmond at that time and she came down to norfolk and brought my son, first time I saw him!
He is now 41 and living the good life in Boise Idaho.
I seem to recall that TC had the nervous habit of scratching his head and elbows during tense moments on the bridge, or was that only on my watch!
Great talking
John

Frank Moorhouse
12th December 2010, 23:36
Hello to all from yet another Bibby liner. I sailed with them from Jan 1970 to June 1982 from J/E to 2/E on most classes except the Dart ships. Ido remember Nigel Malpas as 2/O but can't remember which ship and Paul Askew as mate on one of the car/bulk carriers.

John Callon
13th December 2010, 00:41
Good to see Bibby Line mentioned again. I sailed with them from 1960 as a boy rating on the troopship Devonshire until 1976 as Purser/Chief Steward on the Dart Ships. In between sailed on just about every ship Bibbys owned. I did leave a couple of times to go with P & O and Cunard, mainly to gain experience in the liner Companys which paid off as I ended up back in Cunard on their Carribean cruise ships. Sailed with Tommy Cooper on the Shropshire when she was on the CSAV charter to West Coast South America.
And yes he did have the annoying habit of scratching his arm or head when a bit of stress loomed up. He also refused to eat veal, pork or lamb as some idiot had told him that it caused cancer. As a result when those joints appeared on the menu he had to have a special salad which he personally ordered. i.e.Corned Beef, Salmon, Tuna etc.
Mind you his predecessor Captain Young, known as Tiger Young he who featured in a News of the World sex scandal was even worse.
But thats another story which was before my time.
Regards,
John.

Abbeywood.
13th December 2010, 16:09
Welcome back ,John. Just about to send a search party for you.

Still waiting for part 2 of of the story of the 'Lancashire'. Have to call it a story, too big a gap to call it a serial.

Greetings too, to Frank Moorhouse.
I'm trying to remember where our paths crossed, as I was with the Co'y for 13 years, (1967-81), the last five of which were in the Dart ships, mostly the 'Dart Atlantic'.
Now working for H.M. Government, as a full-time retiree. The money's not much but its regular, so there you go.

My regards to you both, and N.E.Others of my acquaintance.
Pete' Lambert

John Callon
13th December 2010, 16:50
Hi Pete,
Sorry about not getting back to you re Lancashire, but promise will send you the second part. I think part 1 finished up in Japan. Hope everything O.K. with you and you are surviving this wonderful winter of ours. Up here it is bloody freezing and am absolutely fed up looking at the snow. Hope you have a Happy and Peaceful Christmas and all the best for 2011.
Regards,
John.
PS. Could you send me your email address again Pete, as I had my computer cleaned out after getting a virus and I forgot to tell the IT guy to save my address book.
John.

Frank Moorhouse
13th December 2010, 23:33
Hello Pete I do remember your name and think we may have met standing by the old Gloucestershire in Birkenhead in Oct. 1970
Regards Frank

Abbeywood.
14th December 2010, 14:09
Hello Pete I do remember your name and think we may have met standing by the old Gloucestershire in Birkenhead in Oct. 1970
Regards Frank

Thanks for the quick response and I can advise that it certainly was not the 'Gloucestershire', in fact, if my memory serves, I don't think I ever saw her, which, if the 'Staffordshire' and 'Herefordshire' were anything to go by, was a blessing. The Prince Line certainly knew how to strike a bargain, thats for sure.
You can take your pick from 'Worcestershire', both 'Lancashires','Coventry and Toronto City's, Atlantic, and Australian Bridges and of course both the 'Darts Atlantic and America'

Christopher Knight
16th December 2010, 06:43
Hi Everybody, My name is Chris Knight, joined Bibby's as a Junior RO in February 1975 on the LPG Carrier Devonshire in Gibraltar, after a prank with the key wall in either Tarragona or Cartegena. I suspect I was junior RO at the same time as Geoff Valentine. On the Devonshire Hugh Owen was Master, RAF Edwards was mate, Paul Hancock was Cheng, replaced by Alec Findlay, Bob Mcintyre and then replaced by Alec Mullally. In my time on the Devonshire, the chief RO was Bob Ferry! I finished my RO training with Tony (AE) Fell on the Dart Atlantic, Dougie Hind was Captain, Reg Willowby was Chief Eng. I remember Pete Lambert from my time on the Dart Atlantic. I retrained in chemical & mechanics, and moved to the oil & gas industry, after Bibby's, at the end of 1977, still work in the O & G industry in Madrid Spain!
Nice to hear that quite a few people for my short MN time are still around, Best wishes, Chris Knight

Abbeywood.
16th December 2010, 16:39
This thread is like the London transport system, you wait for months for someone, or thing, to appear then, in a matter of days, all hell breaks loose, and four different posters pop-up.
Thanks, Chris, for the gentle reminders of Messrs Findlay, Willoughby, Mullally, dear old Bob Ferry, and Dougie' Hind. I was with him on his last trip where he passed on, in Newark,NJ.
To you, and all my fellow posters, Greetings and Best wishes for the Festive Season.
Or, as I think they say in Spain, 'Felice Felicidad y Bueno Anno Nuevo para usted'

Pete' Lambert.

John Hebblewhite
16th December 2010, 16:48
Hi all, I did three trips on the Marinor 2001/2/3 and two trips on the NP Unity out in Trinidad.2001/2.

Frank Moorhouse
17th December 2010, 00:30
Hello again Pete Could our paths have crossed on the old Staffordshire in the period and place mentioned before. I was on one of those two then. Iremember a con man coming aboard one evening trying to sell us some whisky, later a copper came in was given a drink, and the con man was mentioned. The same copper came back the next day with the guys mug shot to confirm his I.D. Ring any bells ? Regaards Frank.

Abbeywood.
17th December 2010, 14:50
Hello again Pete Could our paths have crossed on the old Staffordshire in the period and place mentioned before. I was on one of those two then. Iremember a con man coming aboard one evening trying to sell us some whisky, later a copper came in was given a drink, and the con man was mentioned. The same copper came back the next day with the guys mug shot to confirm his I.D. Ring any bells ? Regaards Frank.

Frank, I did two standby jobs on the Staffordshire. The first was when I joined the Company, 1967, thence to relieve on 'Toronto City', in the Bristol Channel, before the 'Worcestershire' in Montreal, (Mitsui charter), Great Lakes to Japan.
My second foray on the 'Staffordshire' was in September 1970, when I was sent for a dispensation to take the ship away, however, I failed the exam so ended up on the 'Atlantic Bridge' instead.
In hindsight, I can't say I was totally disappointed.

Regards, Pete'

Mike Kemble
18th February 2011, 14:22
Cheshire. I have mentioned this before and apologies for renewing it but Bibby Line do not answer my emails, absolute zero. My great grandfather, Daniel Kemble, died in 1935 on the Cheshire in an accident so noted on his grave in Rake Lane, Wallasey. But I cannot find out anywhere what happened. Someone did give me a possible link once but I lost it.

calway
21st February 2011, 11:29
Cheshire. I have mentioned this before and apologies for renewing it but Bibby Line do not answer my emails, absolute zero. My great grandfather, Daniel Kemble, died in 1935 on the Cheshire in an accident so noted on his grave in Rake Lane, Wallasey. But I cannot find out anywhere what happened. Someone did give me a possible link once but I lost it.
Hi Mike

My family have been looking into my brothers death, he died on the MV Liverpool Bridge in 1976, also a Bibby Ship.

When speaking to Bibby we have discovered that they dont have archives from that far back as they were not required to keep them, the archivist at Bibby is called Christina Spencer, you can pm me if you would like her contact details as she has been able to help us somewhat!

One place we did find information from was the Discovery Archives at Tyne and Wear Museum (you can do an online search of the archives on their website). They hold the company files for the ship builders so you would need to find out who built the Cheshire and try searching that way.

Other places we have tried are the National Archives in Kew as we were informed that there would have been an official investigation into the accident that killed my brother but unfortunately they do not have these papers.

The Registry of Shipping and Seaman or the Maritime Museum in Liverpool may also be of some help.

Thanks, Cal

Mike Kemble
21st February 2011, 11:41
thanks Cal, will chase

Frank Moorhouse
21st February 2011, 23:04
Calway I don't know if this is any help but here is a quote from the Bibby Gazette of autumn 1976 :- When Liverpool Bridge was at Flushing on 12th June to take bunkers in preparation for her maiden voyage, an explosion occurred in her package boiler. This resulted in the deaths of two officers, Mr R.D. Prescott, Third engineer officer and Mr. M.J. Biggam, First Electrical Officer. There follows a brief family description.

calway
21st February 2011, 23:51
Calway I don't know if this is any help but here is a quote from the Bibby Gazette of autumn 1976 :- When Liverpool Bridge was at Flushing on 12th June to take bunkers in preparation for her maiden voyage, an explosion occurred in her package boiler. This resulted in the deaths of two officers, Mr R.D. Prescott, Third engineer officer and Mr. M.J. Biggam, First Electrical Officer. There follows a brief family description.
Hi Frank

Thats brilliant we didn't realise there was still copies of the Bibby Gazette floating around!

Would it be possible to send a scan of the page in question as it would be great to have a copy that mentions Robert?

When we have tried to find copies of the gazette there were none to be found!

Thanks, Cal

Frank Moorhouse
22nd February 2011, 01:28
Calway I'm having trouble with my scanner will post the page as soon as I can sort it out but it won't be tonight. Regards Frank.

Frank Moorhouse
23rd February 2011, 23:26
Calway Here I hope is the page requested. Rgds. Frank.

John Callon
24th February 2011, 00:05
Hello Frank,
Have just read your post re Bibby Line and the reproduction of a page from the Bibby Line Gazette. Having sailed with Bibbys for a good number of years I noted that three people I knew well had sadly passed away namely Bill Peddar Purser, John Corlett Troop Officer and Captain Monteith. Regrettably I never knew the two Officers who lost their lives on the Liverpool Bridge as I had left Bibbys for good to persue a career in pastures anew - i.e. Townsend
Car Ferries and then back to Cunard.
Regards,
John C.

calway
24th February 2011, 22:25
Calway Here I hope is the page requested. Rgds. Frank.
Hi Frank

Thats great thank you very much for this!

Cal

Frank Moorhouse
24th February 2011, 22:30
Hello John I don't think our own paths ever crossed as it appears that you joined the office staff at about the time that I joined the company. I myself did sail once with Max Biggam on the English Bridge and am sure that I met Bob Prescott but can't remember where or when. Keep the Bibby flag flying. Regds. Frank.

Doodletown Fifer
22nd March 2011, 03:58
John,
You have an interesting reminisce of Bibby Line as do I. I was an electrician on the Devonshire in 1960, Jimmy Carstairs was the Chief and Ray Parkinson was third. Best time I ever had at sea, these troopships were ran like trains always left on time and arrived like clockwork. Tiger Young oh!! what an ASSH--e, he hated engineers. I sailed with him on the Herefordshire to Rangoon, the first time engineers were allowed in the bar. One of them got drunk and instead of punishing him, all were banned. Democracy in the Merchant Navy. I sailed with him again on the Shropshire and signed off March 1965, good riddance. All in all though, I remember Bibby as great employer and will always be grateful for the opportunities they gave me.

Bill Archibald

John Callon
23rd March 2011, 01:02
Hi Bill,
Have sent you a private message re Bibbys.
Regards,
John.

Stewart Shelton
16th August 2011, 18:44
Hello John I don't think our own paths ever crossed as it appears that you joined the office staff at about the time that I joined the company. I myself did sail once with Max Biggam on the English Bridge and am sure that I met Bob Prescott but can't remember where or when. Keep the Bibby flag flying. Regds. Frank.

Hello Frank. Did you serve as 2nd Engineer on the Cambridgeshire in 1978. I served as a Junior engineer and had my 21st birthday aboard. I remeber the 3rd was Steve Austin and the 4th was Dave who had his wife Kathy aboard.

Stewart Shelton
16th August 2011, 19:07
I certainly do remember you John, felicitations.
Others that come to mind are Capt Dougie Hine, Chief Eng's Macdonald and Crook, 'Eggon' Reg Willoughby, 'Steam-boat' Kenny Williams.
Nigel Malpass was a 2Mate but obviously went on to better things.
Alan Robinson, 3E, and how about 'Aggie', Gordon Agnes the 'Hully-gully' 3E, a left over from the 'real' Bristol City Line.
Mick ? the Bo'sun, and 'Nobby' Hobden, the E.R.Storekeeper, both in the Dart Atlantic, Your colleague Jas' Brain. I was trying to remember another of your ilk, Fred ?, (from Scouseland) he had a long period ashore thru' illness, but brave boy, came back.
Then of course there's me, another 'professional Third'. Once seen never forgotten. Pete' Lambert.
To all who know me, greetings, to those who don't know me. Tough luck

Hello Mr Lambert. I remember you but I'm not sure you will remember me. I sailed as a junior Engineer on the Dart Boats and kept the 12-4 with you a couple of times. I also had my **** ripped by Aggie a few times too. I remember Willie Bell and Chiefs Willy Crook and Chief Mac Donald too. I remember Jas Brain was a model maker. I also remember a steward we used to call "Jelly legs" I think. Then also on the Dart ships was Stuart Pear. I remember going down the road with Mick the Bosun in Antwerp. After the Dart ships I went on the Cambridgeshire and then on lay up duty on the Derbysire.
And I also remember now my old friend Graham Kielty from Bristol. He never ate anything. He just drank then had a slice of Welsh rarebit before he turned in. I remember many happy nights down the road in New York and Norfolk and Halifax with Graham, Mac the 2nd mate and many more whose names will now start to come back to me.
I sincerely hope you are in good health and making the most of your long term employment with HM.gov.uk.
You used to make me laugh. Do you remember Geordie Dave Byrne?

WelshGasman
24th August 2011, 13:54
Morning gentlemen,
Great to find some one else has finally got round to posting on this site after so long. Being hidden in the 'Other companies' site does Bibby Line crew members no favours though.
I see that John did a few days in the Toronto City, and I too, having spent a few days in that gallant ship, (3.Eng/April 1967), then moved on to join the Worcestershire. and eventually Atlantic Bridge at Ymuiden in Oct'/70 to Port Talbot (Feb'/71).
After a round-the-world trip in the Coventry City,(May-Dec'/71), i then did another trip in the Atlantic Bridge, (March'72/Aug'72) leaving the ship in Caldera, Northern Chile, and bussing 19 hours down the Pan-American Highway to Santiago, before the flight back to the UK.
After the maiden voyage of the Lancashire (Oct'72/Feb'73) I was again posted to the Toronto City in May of 1973 as a supernumery 3rd Eng to try and keep the lights on, such was the parlous state of the generators which had been named by my predecessor as 'Blood','Sweat', and 'Tears', and which I had no reason to argue with. They were pretty dire, and certainly not intended to be operated in the waters of West Africa.
I eventually left the ship in Copenhagen where I saw the best engines ever, hanging from the wings of a Sabena 737 flying back to London.
I had a couple of extra beers when I heard she had been sold.
May I wish you both all the best, as us Bibby men are starting to get a bit thin on the ground as the years drift by.

Pete' Lambert

Hey Pete, do you remember a young engineer cadet who used to drink Double Drambuie and had to have it passed to him in the dark on movie nights as the Chief Engineer did not like his cadets drinking shorts.? Also hiding booze in the speaker cabinets in dry ports.?

Didn't you live on the Isle of Wight.?

WelshGasman
24th August 2011, 14:22
Here is a picture of him

mike

PMFJI,

Who is the guy on the far right of the picture.? His face is familiar.?

WelshGasman
24th August 2011, 14:30
I was a deck cadet with Bibby Line from 1973 to 1975 during which time I sailed on MV Oxfordshire, Mv Herefordshire, MV Lancashire, MV Cheshire and also attended Riversdale college. They were certainly very formative years and it would be great to catch up with anyone I had the pleasure of sailing with.

Regards

Kevan Dickin

I was on the Herefordshire 06/08/75 to 03/12/75. Joined in Dubai and paid off in Bahrain.

WelshGasman
24th August 2011, 14:50
Hi Geoff
Were you in the Wiltshire any time between Feb and July 1977 or the Lincolnshire Oct 1977 - Feb 1978?
Cheers. John

John,

I was 4th Engineer on the Wiltshire 05/06/77 - 15/11/77

michaelF
24th August 2011, 15:17
PMFJI,

Who is the guy on the far right of the picture.? His face is familiar.?

If memory serves me correct it was Rab Ritchie Electrician

mike

WelshGasman
24th August 2011, 15:35
If memory serves me correct it was Rab Ritchie Electrician

mike

Damn, I wish I had a better memory.:)

michaelF
24th August 2011, 15:38
Damn, I wish I had a better memory.:)

Must be one of my better days.

mike

Frank Moorhouse
24th August 2011, 23:41
Hello Frank. Did you serve as 2nd Engineer on the Cambridgeshire in 1978. I served as a Junior engineer and had my 21st birthday aboard. I remeber the 3rd was Steve Austin and the 4th was Dave who had his wife Kathy aboard.

Hello Stewart, Yes it was I whowas 2/E on that trip, the 4/E was Dave Nesbitt and I think the Cheng may have been Mervyn Griggs. I seem to remember that you complained about someone wasting space in the pantry fridge with food instead of beer. sorry about the delayed reply been on my hols. Regards Frank.

zeersplat
4th December 2011, 19:40
Hello Frank And Pete, I think I was on the Toronto City with Frank and the Atlantic Bridge with Pete, I am not 100% certain but the names seem familiar. Frank did you come from around Chorley? and Pete if I am correct you used to say Southhampton was the ar**hole of the country so what does that make the isle of Wight. I was the lecky.

John

Frank Moorhouse
5th December 2011, 23:15
Hi John, yes it was me on the Toronto City on my first trip with Bibby's, and yes I did come from Chorley and still do. Good to hear from you after all these years.

Frank.

zeersplat
6th December 2011, 16:23
Hi Frank, its strange how the memory gets fragmented over a long timespan. How come I can remember you came from Chorley and very little else? No doubt other details will come back. One odd thing I can remember is you turning some new eye pieces for a pair of binoculars, why do I remember that?
Hope your keeping well
John

John Williams 56-65
6th December 2011, 20:24
John,
You have an interesting reminisce of Bibby Line as do I. I was an electrician on the Devonshire in 1960, Jimmy Carstairs was the Chief and Ray Parkinson was third. Best time I ever had at sea, these troopships were ran like trains always left on time and arrived like clockwork. Tiger Young oh!! what an ASSH--e, he hated engineers. I sailed with him on the Herefordshire to Rangoon, the first time engineers were allowed in the bar. One of them got drunk and instead of punishing him, all were banned. Democracy in the Merchant Navy. I sailed with him again on the Shropshire and signed off March 1965, good riddance. All in all though, I remember Bibby as great employer and will always be grateful for the opportunities they gave me.

Bill Archibald

Hi Bill; I remember you on the Devonshire along with Ray Parkinson and Jimmy Carstairs. I have been swapping a few emails with Ray talking about those long gone days . He mentioned you ,as he was in contact with you at the time. I was the ships plumber and we must have worked together at various times both around the ship and in the engine room. I spent a fair amount of time on that ship from my first voyage on her in February 58 till she finished trooping in early 62. When she was sold on to British India I went with her and did a further three years on her as the Devonia till I swallowed the anchor in February 65. Happy Days

John Williams 56-65
6th December 2011, 20:39
Hello Frank,
Have just read your post re Bibby Line and the reproduction of a page from the Bibby Line Gazette. Having sailed with Bibbys for a good number of years I noted that three people I knew well had sadly passed away namely Bill Peddar Purser, John Corlett Troop Officer and Captain Monteith. Regrettably I never knew the two Officers who lost their lives on the Liverpool Bridge as I had left Bibbys for good to persue a career in pastures anew - i.e. Townsend
Car Ferries and then back to Cunard.
Regards,
John C.

Hi John; Once again your memory for names has brought back to me yet another I had all but forgotten. John Corlett [Troop Officer] on the Devonshire. A very nice man who I regularly came into contact with in the course of my work. I often found little Billet Doux from him waiting for me when I got back to my cabin,after a troopdeck inspection when he asked me to do some small jobs that had been picked up during the inspection. As Troop Officer he was of course the liaison between the ships company and the military. He must have been in his sixties when I last saw him on the last trooping voyage of Devonshire in early 62.

Frank Moorhouse
8th December 2011, 23:42
Hello agaiin John, Your memory is better than mine I'd forgotten about the eyepieces. I do however remember a night out you and I had in B.A. at a place called Fernando Ochoa, all you could eat and drink for a fiver each. I enjoyed that night.
Frank.

New Haven Neil
12th December 2011, 20:42
Hi, I'm new around here, I was in Bibby's 76-83, so my memories are more recent than many on here, but I see names I knew from my dad (Bill) being in Bibby's from the late 60's.

Reg Willoughby knew him from being a kid
Mark Blaxland, great pal of dads
Mervyn (Griggs?)
Dennis Turbitt
'Black' Dougie - soaked him once - thought I was sacked!
Alan Haggerston
Alan Robinson
Graham Hutchinson (RIP)
George ? Irish bloke, 'Clancy'
Dick Pascoe
Steve Pritchard
Terry ? 3rd
The Screaming Skull Bob Grey
Dave Clayton, a gent
Jake Waldie - eek, scary
'George' Best - funny guy
Derek Talbut
and many more....I need to look up some Gazettes!

Ring any bells with anyone?

bev summerill
12th December 2011, 21:38
I was deck apprentice with Bristol City line Sept 1960 for 3years so sailed on the city boats of that era

Bev Summerill

Frank Moorhouse
27th January 2012, 22:53
QUESTION. Does anyone know the current state of the bibby fleet ie names ,types ,sizes, etc.

Frank Moorhouse

John Callon
27th January 2012, 23:38
Hi Frank,

According to the Bibby Line Website the company operates 9 vessels and has 12 Offshore Diversification Units. Bibbys are scheduled to take delivery in March this year of a new 57,000 ton bulk carrier which is under construction in China. The Company has a turnover of 1 bn as at 2010. Bibbys are a vastly different Company from the one we knew and the group consists of the following:-
Bibby Distribution/Bibby Line/Bibby Financial/Bibby Holdings/Bibby Maritime/Bibby Ship Management/Bibby Retail/Bibby Offshore.
Interestingly enough Bibby Retail took complete control of over 1550 Cost Cutter stores across the U.K. at the end of 2011. If you log onto MNA.org.uk there is a complete history of the Company and the type and names of the vessels that Bibbys operate today. I count myself very lucky to have been associated with such a company having sailed with them during the days when they operated passenger ships and troopships and given the opportunity to sail on both types of vessels.
All the Best Frank,
John.

Frank Moorhouse
29th January 2012, 00:41
Thanks for the info John I knew about the distribution I have seen their trucks on the roads,but retail is a new one on me.

Regards Frank.