Santos Star At Oslo

dom
9th June 2006, 04:56
joined her in hamburg winter 61 i think? casablanca-hamburg santos for bananas for b.a. apples for johnsons star line to oslo,paid off dover

david
9th June 2006, 07:10
Dom,
Was not she scrapped along with her sister " Mendosa Star", after they had both been lengenthened in 1963..,sometime in the mid 80's , at Gadani Beach ??
Seemed to be so small, compared with other newbuildings at the time.
Regards,
David D.

dom
9th June 2006, 07:28
yes both lenghtened,sold to an italian co.i think the santos star was the raeburn?

Bridie
22nd October 2006, 19:40
yes both lenghtened,sold to an italian co.i think the santos star was the raeburn?
I signed on as a cadet on the Santos Star in Belfast just after she was lengthened - February '64. On way to BA and the typhoid scare in UK meant we then started a regular run from BA to Genoa in Italy. Must have been profitable as we always returned to BA light. Mind you we were cleaning hatches and boiling meat hooks all the way back ready for next load. Some happy memories of Both BA (Dock Sud) and Genoa(Thumb)

Rob Randle
22nd October 2006, 20:14
The "Santos Star" Was built as the "Constable" for Lamport & Holt (Built by Brooke Marine, Lowestoft,1959).The "Mendoza Star" had previously been Lamports "Chatham" (Built Alexander Stephen & Sons on the Clyde.)I heard ther were only seven AB's and the two cadets were the other two watch keepers in both ships,good for cadets overtime no doubt. Two shillings and fourpence (about eleven pence) an hour when I was a cadet.

Bridie
22nd October 2006, 20:28
I heard ther were only seven AB's and the two cadets were the other two watch keepers in both ships,good for cadets overtime no doubt. Two shillings and fourpence (about eleven pence) an hour when I was a cadet.
That's right - and there were plenty of "ovies" to be had! Can't remember the name of the other cadet, but I remember the 1st mate's name was Gathercoal or Gathercole.

beejay
26th October 2006, 08:46
I joined The Santos Star as 4th Eng 5/12/64 I found her a very happy ship and really enjoyed my time on her. Many (some perhaps not so happy) memories of BA , Montevideo, Santos, and all the other ports on that run.

Cheers Brian.

FREEBEE
10th May 2007, 21:03
I joined her in BA (cadet), having sailed from the Hamburg on the Ulster Star, eventually signing off in Genoa with the long train ride home. (29/4/64-14/7/64)
Freebee

Bridie
13th May 2007, 20:51
I joined her in BA (cadet), having sailed from the Hamburg on the Ulster Star, eventually signing off in Genoa with the long train ride home. (29/4/64-14/7/64)
Freebee
Hi Freebee

We must have both been cadets on her at the same time (see 3 or 4 posting up). Think I remember you joining in BA, but can't remember what happened to your predecessor.

I was paid off in Genoa in May 64 and given a train ticket from there to Dundee!! Think they gave me 5 for expenses!!

Pete

FREEBEE
14th May 2007, 15:26
Hi Pete,
It must be the beard? You can never forget having to boil the hooks, fetching them out of the hatch to boil them in 50 gallon drums with the old steam line. What about cleaning the bilges out? No auto pilot, so we had to make the watch up (4 to 8) and do our turn on the wheel. Those were the days, mind the ovies was good.
Regards Freebee

Bridie
14th May 2007, 20:39
You can never forget having to boil the hooks, fetching them out of the hatch to boil them in 50 gallon drums with the old steam line. What about cleaning the bilges out?
Was just thinking about those meat hooks and bilges after I posted - and disinfecting hatches with some lethal mix (was it formaldehyde?)

The beard has long gone as has most other hair as well
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/504/MeOnFerry.jpg

Bridie
20th May 2007, 20:47
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/SantosStar1.jpg

Pat McCardle
20th May 2007, 21:13
Great shot of Her. 1st time I've seen Her. Was She one of the smallest of all Blue Star vessel?

Bridie
21st May 2007, 13:14
Great shot of Her. 1st time I've seen Her. Was She one of the smallest of all Blue Star vessel?
I suppose so, along with the MV Mendoza Star.

Pat McCardle
21st May 2007, 13:19
Almost yacht like!!

vangooler
18th March 2008, 12:51
Bridie,I must have missed this post earlier.What a great photo of the Santos Star. It brought back fond memories. My last trip at sea was on her although she was known then as the MV Constable. I paid off in Liverpool in Mar. 1960. Flew to Canada and slung my hook. No regrets, but still enjoy the memories.

adamgilmour
27th April 2008, 18:42
Hello, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this - a scale model of the Santos Star, built by my father when he served in her.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/zimbob1000/karate%20kid/santostaretc-3.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/zimbob1000/karate%20kid/santostaretc-1.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/zimbob1000/karate%20kid/santostaretc.jpg

nautibuoy42
5th September 2008, 20:49
Hi Vangooler, Just seen your post re "Santos Star" (Constable) you say you paid of her in L/pool Mar 60, I was cadet on her 60/61 did 5 trips on her. A great little ship & a happy crew. Cheers, Glyn.

FREEBEE
12th January 2013, 23:10
Has anyone come across a photo of her in her BSL livery after she was extended, the only one I have seen is in her Italian colours, as the Calagaribaldi.
Freebee

Bridie
14th January 2013, 19:53
Has anyone come across a photo of her in her BSL livery after she was extended, the only one I have seen is in her Italian colours, as the Calagaribaldi.
Freebee

Look back about 6 or 7 posting in this thread. I have put a link to a photo of her in BSL colours after extension.
or
CLICK HERE FOR PIC (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/510/SantosStar1.jpg)

FREEBEE
14th March 2013, 17:25
Hi Bridie,
The photo you relate to on Nostalgia is a pre extension picture. After her extension she had 5 hatches (4 for'd 1 aft) with another mast/house for the extra derricks. I keep looking for a photo of her in BSL colours but so far no luck.
Regards
Brian

R58484956
15th March 2013, 17:01
Go to www.bluestarline.org Plenty of info and photos there.

FREEBEE
13th May 2013, 15:28
Hi, even on the BSL site it only shows the Santos as pre-extension. If you compare the photo of the Santos and the photo of her as the Calagarabaldi, you will notice she has an extra set of derricks and hatch just infront of the bridge. If you look at the Mendoza Star on the BSL site you can see the difference.
Regards
Freebee