DALLA as MARMARAS

Fairfield
14th September 2004, 21:28
This was taken in Glasgow in 1980 just after she had been renamed.She retained her original colours and was loading for West Africa!
DALLA came from Lithgow/s of Port Glasgow in 1961 and was broken up in 1984.

tanker
15th September 2004, 15:09
Very good she had 2 sisters DONGA and DUMBAIA built as PEGU.

Paddy Henderson
15th September 2005, 22:31
I was fifteen years old when I was employed by Lithgows limted at their Port Glasgow yard of Duncans limited where the Donga Dalla and Dumbia where built, I was trained as a Burners Boy and went on to burn the shell plates for the Donga and the Dalla.
In January 1961 I spent three months at the school of navigation in Glasgow after graduating I was employed by Paddy Henderson and joined the Dalla at Lithgows fitting out basin in the Kinsgton Yard at Port Glasgow as a deck apprentice.
I completd two five month trips to West Africa on the Dalla under the command of Commodore Walker Brown.
The Dalla when I sailed on her had a black forecastle not white as she was still under the management of Paddy Henderson of which we all fiercly proud
I not only helped build and sail on the Dalla, I was born and brought up in Port Glasgow and have therfore a very soft spot for the Dalla.
I would appreciate very much any more available photographs.

John Moir

eldersuk
18th December 2005, 00:36
Photo of Dalla attached. I was 2/Eng in her for a couple of voyages when she was run by Elder Dempster.

Derek

R58484956
18th December 2005, 13:18
Wwelcome Eldersuk to the site enjoy all it has to offer, you are now amongst the sea/ship loving fraternity, MOST of us have left the sea years ago but our minds are still there. Have a merry Christmas.

eldersuk
18th December 2005, 23:37
Just turned up a nicer pic of Dalla in Elder Dempster livery.
Incidentally, I have a pretty extensive collection of Elder Dempster pics. If anyone wants to see any particular ship just let me know and I'll see what I've got and post it.

Cheers, Derek

lampy
31st January 2006, 12:32
[QUOTE=eldersuk]Just turned up a nicer pic of Dalla in Elder Dempster livery.
Incidentally, I have a pretty extensive collection of Elder Dempster pics. If anyone wants to see any particular ship just let me know and I'll see what I've got and post it.

Cheers, Derek[/QUOT
cheers derek lampy here i sailed on the deido in the sixties,do you have a pic??

ruud
31st January 2006, 13:43
Ahoy Lampy,

Here you can find the Deido as well:

http://www.gi3ymt.co.uk/shippage%201.html

les trow
7th February 2006, 13:55
Nice to see "Dalla" again,sailed on her as Writer on my last trip with ED 13/11/62-29/1/63.Also sailed on "Onitsha" 4 trips 1/11/60-22/12/61,"Katha" 2 trips 15/1/62-18/7/62 (the latter trip being when she suffered engine failure and was towed to Lisbon by Deido??? "Kumba" 1 trip 7/8/62-22/10/62. Woould appreciate any photos of these ships.
Regards.Les.

R58484956
7th February 2006, 14:03
Welcome Les to the site and enjoy all it has to offer, photos will no doubt soon appear.

eldersuk
8th February 2006, 11:16
25th Jan.1962 Katha's engines disabled and requests a tow to Lisbon. Deido had a full deck cargo of logs and therefore it was necessary to send two shackles of cable aft outside the ship. When this was accomplished with the cable 'up and down' from the poop the cable was brought on board and middled around the forward part of the poop deck house. The cable was taken round the aft bitts and out through the fairleads with the two ends shackled together. A rocket was fired over Katha's foredeck and eventually her insurance wire brought aboard and shackled to the cable, the other end being shackled to Katha's cable through her hawse pipe.
The tow commenced and after adjustments to its length the speed was gradually increased to 8.5 knots. On arrival at Lisbon the tow was handed over to harbour tugs and Deido resumed her voyage.

Incidentally, I was 2nd eng on the Deido at the time. Thumbnails show Deido and Katha.

eldersuk
8th February 2006, 11:26
Thumbnails of 'Onitsha' and 'Kumba'

Regards,
Derek

les trow
8th February 2006, 17:19
Thumbnails of 'Onitsha' and 'Kumba'

Regards,
Derek
Cheers,Derek.You are a star!

eldersuk
8th February 2006, 23:26
lampy

If you were on the Deido in the sixties we could well have sailed together. I joined her in Scott's when she was building and did her first three voyages as 3rd Eng. later going back for further voyages as 2nd Eng. Great ship - she always had the cleanest engine room in the fleet.

lampy
10th February 2006, 12:47
Just turned up a nicer pic of Dalla in Elder Dempster livery.

Cheers, Derek
doyou have a decent shot of the Deido??the only ED ship i sailed on
thanks
lampy (K)

eldersuk
10th February 2006, 14:43
Lampy

Posted 3 shots of Deido in my gallery.

capkelly
13th February 2006, 15:14
Eldersuk,
Imust have sailed with you on the "Deido" maiden voyage as I stood by at Scotts as senior cadet during finalfitting out and did the first trip

best regards
capkelly

eldersuk
13th February 2006, 23:52
capkelly

You're right, we must have sailed together by my reckoning no less than 45 years ago. If my memory serves the Mates were Eric Woosey, Ashley Cook, Jock Gunning; Engineers were John Duckworth (chief), Raymond Sharpe (2nd), myself (3rd), Vernon Cantlay (4th), Electrician Maurice Farragher. Purser was John Shankland, who I still see regularly, all under the command of the formidable Derek Coughlan RNR, DSO.
My memory banks have just fizzled out after such an effort!
I joined her the day after she was launched with Eric Woosey and Maurice Farragher and had almost three months there while she was fitting out. Stayed in very good digs in Gourock with Mrs. Hall for the princely sum of 4.10s a week, including all meals and laundry!

The trouble with these websites is that we all give ourselves such damfool names we don't know who we're talking to most of the time.

Cheers, Derek

capkelly
14th February 2006, 15:49
Derek, Thanks for the names that had escaped me I looked on the back of my indentures and see I was there from April 1st. to the end of August '61
Very best regards
Michael

ed glover
3rd May 2006, 19:55
I was in sea school with you and joined the Dalla the same day you did. my name is ed glover

ed glover
4th May 2006, 12:51
I was fifteen years old when I was employed by Lithgows limted at their Port Glasgow yard of Duncans limited where the Donga Dalla and Dumbia where built, I was trained as a Burners Boy and went on to burn the shell plates for the Donga and the Dalla.
In January 1961 I spent three months at the school of navigation in Glasgow after graduating I was employed by Paddy Henderson and joined the Dalla at Lithgows fitting out basin in the Kinsgton Yard at Port Glasgow as a deck apprentice.
I completd two five month trips to West Africa on the Dalla under the command of Commodore Walker Brown.
The Dalla when I sailed on her had a black forecastle not white as she was still under the management of Paddy Henderson of which we all fiercly proud
I not only helped build and sail on the Dalla, I was born and brought up in Port Glasgow and have therfore a very soft spot for the Dalla.
I would appreciate very much any more available photographs.

John Moir
I was at sea school withy you and sailed on the dalla her first trip.
ed glover

Hillview
20th June 2006, 18:59
I was Fourth Engineer on this ship when she left Greenock for Swansea and then to West Africa with paying off at Avonmouth 17th April 1961 till 10th August 1961. I did`nt like the west african coast and joined Harrisons of Liverpool.
BTW Chief Engineer was Willie Allan,Second Engineer was Colin Mears Old man was Walker Brown

Roger Turner
20th June 2006, 23:36
Good for "Paddy Henderson"!
They were a great shipping line, I was with the Pursers Dept of Elder Dempsters and sailed on the "Kentung" and "Katha" where we were attached as Supernumaries,15th June 55 to 27th August 55 and 11.1.56 to 10.4./56 repectively.
They were great crews and happy ships, even if there were a lot of moans about West Africa, I even enjoyed the curry three times a day. Captain Grassick on the Katha was a "Gentleman" - never have "Sassenachs" been looked after so well by Scots! it even led me to find a Scottish wife and live near Dundee for twenty odd years .
Strange to tell she was also a "paddy" enthusiast, probably knew more about them than I did as she lived in Burma for 49/53 her father was with the RAF services mission forming the Burmese Airforce - that was after he had fought through Burma during the war - sort of the kindly War Office giving relatives a chance to see where their husbands were away from them for years.
She sailed home on the m.v. "Worcestershire" Bibby`s.
Regards to all my readers.
Roger Turner.

Argyll
29th August 2006, 17:01
I was ab in Elders for three years ,I was on OTI, Degema, and Demurra ,Sailing with Terry Morgan bosun Bert Campbell Bosun Mate, Capts Munro, Geo Armstrong, One From Hull Can't remember his name, and a third mate who stays near me Hector Thomson, ther were a few others but a senior moment has arrived so will have to think and get back to you . One name that springs to miond is Ernie Townsend from the office a gentleman,
Argyll

eldersuk
1st September 2006, 14:57
Master from Hull could well have been Alan Ness.
Ernie Townsend sadly died about two years ago followed 12 months later by his great friend and colleague "Big Mac" McNamara. I'm proud to say that they were both very good friends of mine.

Derek

Argyll
2nd September 2006, 09:28
Derek,
Alan Ness certainly rings a bell, if my memory serves me right he was a bit of a screwball, I'm sure there was another from Hull a Big man I 'think his name was Ronnie ? Thanks for info on Ernie Towsend he certainly was a great guy, I unfortunely don't recall big Mac but if he was a pal of Ernie's then I' sure you would be proud to be associated with them.
Alistair.

Argyll
5th September 2006, 09:49
Derek,
I think the Capt. I was trying to remember was Ronnie Wild I'm sure he was from Hull I do remember him as a giant of a man,
Alistair

john shaw
5th September 2006, 13:12
Here is a further thumb of Dalla from 1961