Ex NZS man (Short Term)

NZSCOTTY
11th June 2006, 22:44
Was with NZS between 1967 and 1970. Tekoa, Haparangi. Joined to see NZ and Ausi and spent first year South Africa, Madagascar, Reunion, off Grand Banks etc!! Beeing Scottish was not considered passenger ship material. Only relieved while Rangitoto in London!!

john strange
7th July 2006, 07:07
Did a couple of trips on the 'Paparoa' any info on her?
cheers
john

R58484956
7th July 2006, 19:13
SS Paparoa 10066 tons, Built 1944 by Alex Stephens & Co Ltd, Glasgow.
477.0 x 64.8 x 39.0. 3 steam turbines DR geared to one screw shaft. 2 water tube boilers, Engines and boilers all built by Alex Stephens. DF, ESD, Radar, GyC. Code flags GBCZ. Registed Plymouth UK, British Flag. Cruiser stern. Owners NZS Co.

exsailor
8th July 2006, 12:04
Photo of Paparoa, in dock, plus info on www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=3382

Tom Haywood
10th July 2006, 00:12
I did a coasting trip (Avonmouth>Liverpool) on the Paparoa July 1965.
Only a short sea trip but what a trip. Major problems with the generators which burnt more lub oil than diesel and still having a large reefer cargo on board didn't help much. Remember that the lub oil was carried in tall cylindical tanks in the engine room which by reaching Liverpool were empty. We had to break pipe flanges etc to drain the remaining oil. Problems with maintaining water level in the boilers, unable to blow tubes properly. When we were finally alongside we had to have a diver go down as some of the double bottom tanks were common to the sea and were leaking fuel oil into the dock.
Left her in Liverpool and joined the Otaio, what a difference!!!

Doxfordman
16th July 2006, 09:22
Tom,

Where was your sence of adventure??

Tom Haywood
17th July 2006, 02:52
Dox. Not on the Pap. The coasting chief never entered the engine room, can't blame him I suppose.
But I did go over to the Otaio with her twin "what did they call them" engines?

Doxfordman
18th July 2006, 08:32
Ummmmmm........it's there somwhere........???? Twin sixes?

Tom Haywood
18th July 2006, 22:33
Yes Doc she was a great ship and they were great engines, still remember standing there on the top plates watching all this mechanical gear go up and down and in and out, day in and day out. What a change from my 1st deep sea ship the Northumberland.