Silver Gem and Watchful

Peter Dryden
12th June 2006, 16:54
Hi all out there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me. During the mid to late eighties we in Blyth, Northumberland played host to the Scottish prawning fleet. During that time I got to know two of the boats and crew fairly well. One boat was the "Silver Gem" skippered by John Watt of Gardenstown and the other was the "Watchful" skippered by another John possibly West. Does anyone know the whereabouts of these boats and skippers now, I heard a rumour that the Silver Gem had been sold to make way for a bigger boat.

grahamtowa
12th June 2006, 20:00
theres a Lancashire owned boat, Glen Carradale CN90, which used to be Watchful PD239, 40 feet, built 1958 by tom summers, listed in FVBI. Don't know if that's the one you're looking for?

Gavin Gait
12th June 2006, 23:21
Hi all out there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me. During the mid to late eighties we in Blyth, Northumberland played host to the Scottish prawning fleet. During that time I got to know two of the boats and crew fairly well. One boat was the "Silver Gem" skippered by John Watt of Gardenstown and the other was the "Watchful" skippered by another John possibly West. Does anyone know the whereabouts of these boats and skippers now, I heard a rumour that the Silver Gem had been sold to make way for a bigger boat.

The Watchfull BF107 was skippered by John Watt and i've a suspicion that she was scrapped in the late 1990's. John's son still fishes out of Fraserburgh with a 60ft twin rigger tho.

The Silver Gem was last heard of by me fishing out of the Arbroath area. I was onboard her for 4 months in 1989 at the prawns out of Fraserburgh. She had been "fully modernised" in the 1960's which meant a new wheelhouse!! She still had the original 6 cyclinder Gardener 125hp engine , a drive shaft forrard to a pully drive to work the winch and chain steering. The radar you only switched on long enough to get a fix on what was happening around you and you had to switch it off or it used to break down, they still had a very old version of the Decca ( no fancy plotters here all you had was a roll of Decca paper with the tows on it that you had to check your position by hand on ) and an ancient VHF lol. The skippers name was George Watt and sadly he passed away in the early 1990's after having a heart attack. Best paying boat i've ever been onboard. We burned less than a ton of fuel for a 5 day week so if we grossed 1200 for a week the 4 of us would get 200+ each !!. As for her fate it looks as if she was decommisioned in the late 1990's.

Ooooooooopsss the boat i'm describing is almost certainally the Silver Harvest BF , got to make sure I have my brain in gear before posting I guess lol. The Silver Gem BF27 was sold to another Fraserburgh sklipper and was scrapped 2 years ago.

Davie Tait

dennis48
4th February 2007, 21:15
James Alec Reid was skipper of Watchful until he took ill,his son went skipper after he died.
I started the sea with him, a good skipper, was 5 years starting with drift net

herringringerman
29th October 2009, 21:23
david tait.
having trouble getting onto trawlers web site are they something wrong at present if not can u help me reset to get onto site.
cheer,s.
herringringerman.(Applause)

K urgess
29th October 2009, 22:13
You'll have a long wait for a reply, Davie hasn't logged on for over a year.