ship in a paddy

Harry Nicholson
13th June 2006, 20:29
It might have been 1957 or 1959, I was on a Brocklebank ship going up the River Pussur to Chittagong in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). On the left bank we were amazed to see a proud British cargo ship sat upright in a paddy field about 100yards in from the river's edge. She seemed rather smart and newish and, whilst memory fades, I think she might have been a 'City' boat. I often wonder if she was recovered; perhaps a canal was dug to float her back to the river. There had been a bad cyclone a few weeks earlier.
Do any of you chaps know anything about that incident?

Santos
13th June 2006, 20:39
That was the Clan Alpine, she was washed up there by a cyclone. Never salvaged. Tried I think but she was too far inland.

She was actually on her last trip to be scrapped, but the cyclone got her before Japan did.

Launched as Empire Barrie 7168 424 57 24 1942
1942 MOWT managed by Allan, Black & Co (Albyn Line), Sunderland.
1944 MOWT managed by Clan Line Ltd, Glasgow
1945 CLAN ALPINE, Clan Line Ltd.
1957 UMVOTI, Bullard, King & Co.Ltd, London
1959 CLAN ALPINE, Clan Line Ltd.
31.10.60 Ashore in cyclone near Chittagong, total loss.

Chris.

benjidog
13th June 2006, 20:50
Blimey!

I presume she was scrapped where she was beached. Surely can't have been left there with all that scrap metal waiting to be nicked and flogged off.

I wouldn't like to eat anything grown in that paddy field!

In the unlikely event of her being left to rot I presume she would show up on Google Earth - at least in outline.

Brian

Santos
13th June 2006, 21:06
I believe that they managed to keep her auxillaries going by keeping water passing into her intakes and she used her own gear to discharge her cargo.

Her cargo was discharged into trucks and on 14.2.1961 she was sold to the East Bengal Trading Corporation Ltd and broken up where she lay.

Chris.

Hugh MacLean
13th June 2006, 22:09
I believe this is the said ship:

http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/f1.htm

Scroll half way down page.

Rgds

dave beaumont
14th June 2006, 06:29
Harry, Check Stuart Smiths pictures in his gallery for some more pics of Clan Alpine

Harry Nicholson
14th June 2006, 10:09
Thanks chaps, that was illuminating. Also thanks Dave, I've just looked at Stuart Smiths gallery, its brilliant, and next to the stranded vessel is the cartoon "Tina's phone sex service", that is also brilliant. Such treasures buried in this site, they should all be archived in the British Library or somewhere similar.
I'll be away for a week starting Friday on a writers retreat event in the Trossachs (Balquidder), no shipping there, maybe I'll just see the occasional otter land a fish on the shores of Loch Voil.

benjidog
14th June 2006, 20:00
Enjoy your retreat Harry.

If you get a chance nip over to the local Indian restaurant and ask them for some Tarka Dal. It's like normal Dal but a little 'otter. (LOL)

Brian

Harry Nicholson
15th June 2006, 17:56
Thanks Brian but I doubt if I'll be eating much (or reading out loud), I've just had a back tooth out today, (it was giving grief) it broke in the extraction so he had to dig a bit and now I've got stitches. He said I should not try to numb the pain with alcohol. This is the only way I can communicate at the moment.

fred henderson
15th June 2006, 23:33
See photographs and comment by typing "Empire Barrie" in the search box in the gallery.

It is amazing how comprehensive the gallery has become.

Fred (Thumb)

Piero43
16th June 2006, 09:20
There was another "Clan Alpine" who found the same fate at the end of ninetenth - beginning of twentyeth century, off Skeleton Coast, in Namibia. There is also a sandbank named from her.
Maybe is the name expecially unlucky?
P.

Chris Field
18th June 2006, 08:07
A small and hardly relevant point- but the Pussur River was the way to Chalna, not far from Dacca and Khulna, not Chittagong, which is a coastal port. A great little village, and they beat us at soccer on that same paddy-field in 1952- I was in City of Colchester.

japottinger
29th June 2006, 20:56
Pics I have seen shows steam issuing from funnel, which suggests that with no intake of water available she was exhausting all auxilliaries direct up the spout as with no water available to circulate the aux. condenser where the winches etc to would normally pass their exhaust steam she had no option, just like a steam train engine.
Sonmetimes a similar situation would arise in dry dock, but could use one of the SW ballast or double bottom tanks as a means of circulating the aux. condenser to and from that tank.

Santos
29th June 2006, 20:59
they managed to keep her auxillaries going by keeping water passing into her intakes and she used her own gear to discharge her cargo.

Her cargo was discharged into trucks and on 14.2.1961 she was sold to the East Bengal Trading Corporation Ltd and broken up where she lay.

Chris.

This is what I was told

Chris

Chouan
28th June 2007, 16:58
She was still there in 1975