Anyone got any info or pics of this ship? I was R/O on her in the 60`s

Thamesphil
16th June 2006, 16:17
A quick search in google found this:

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/lake%20atlin.html

Phil

sam2182sw
16th June 2006, 20:40
LAKE ATLIN hi nelson for your info i recall the lake atlin comming to HULL ALEX DOCK in the sixty to discharge coppra we put her in dry dock for painting and what a shock the ships super had when he had to look round in the dock bottom lloyds came down to pass her and the bottom plating was right up we had to take 60 bottom plates of her she was in dry dock 7 weeks was you on at that time she must have been aground somewhere sam

Nelson
17th June 2006, 11:18
Hi Thamesphil,
Yes, that`s her. Thanks very much. I didn`t think I`d have long to wait for someone to come up with the info. Thanks again. She was another ship I enjoyed being on.

Nelson
17th June 2006, 11:27
Hi Sam2182sw,
Thanks for that most interesting bit of info. No, I wasn`t on her when that was discovered, but I was R/O on her for just over 18 months. We used to take scrap iron from Hamburg to San Francisco, then M/T up to Vancouver/Vancouver Island to load timber for either Japan or UK. She was regarded as tramping really, just that for the time I was on her, we kept to those particular trips. Strange that the damage was undiscovered until dry docking. Thanks again.

sam2182sw
18th June 2006, 12:26
hi nelson thanks for that info she was a nice looking ship when she was in dry dock very clean and well looked after well all that bottom work kept me employed for some weeks all the best sam

Nelson
18th June 2006, 13:37
Hi sam2182sw,
Thanks for that. Yes, she was a smart ship. On one trip to US/Canada, we had a canadian feller on board as a passenger, returning to Vancouver after extensive surgery in UK after a car accident, in which his parents were killed. He was in his early 20`s, I think. He showed me the photos taken over about a year of the reconstruction of his face. It was unbelievable that he`d even survuved the crash. He was chuffed to bits with his new face. He said he was now far better looking. Regards, Nelson.

jd0459
8th July 2007, 16:00
Hi Nelson I Have A List Of All Ropner Ships From 1874-1979 LAKE ATLIN 1954 COMPLETED BY WILLIAM DOXFORD AND SONS LTD SUNDERLAND AS JERSEY MIST 1956 PURCHASED BY THE LAKE ATLIN SHIPPING CO AND RENAMED LAKE ATLIN PLACED UNDER ROPNER MANAGMENT.1960 SOLD TO WESTERN CANADA S.S.CO LTD.1963 SOLD TO ANGLO CANADIAN SHIPPING<WESTSHIP>LTD.1965 SOLD TO THARROS SHIPPING CO.S.A.,GREECE AND RENAMED IRENE XILAS.1974 SOLD TO TSAKOS SHIPPING & TRADING S.A.,CYPRUS AND TO BE RENAMED IRENE'S CHARITY.

Jd

Billy1963
11th September 2007, 10:22
LAKE ATLIN never got to be renamed IRENE'S CHARITY. In January 1970 the ship suffered a major engine failure and was towed to Singapore. The ship was later laid up at Shimonoseki, Japan in 1974 and in 1978 she was sold to a Chinese shipbreaker and scrapped at Shanghai.

(Details from my unpublished book "Ropners Navy" 1866-1997)

cannonball
15th May 2009, 19:18
As a new member have just come across this thread I sailed on Lake Atlin as 4th Engineer from May 1963 to Nov 1963 when we got back to the UK not one engineer signed back on, she may have looked nice having just been painted from top to bottom but in the engine room she was a nightmare. Lack of proper maintenance etc had taken its toll.

Bondosan
18th May 2009, 16:17
As a new member have just come across this thread I sailed on Lake Atlin as 4th Engineer from May 1963 to Nov 1963 when we got back to the UK not one engineer signed back on, she may have looked nice having just been painted from top to bottom but in the engine room she was a nightmare. Lack of proper maintenance etc had taken its toll.

Hi Cannonball
I can confirm the nightmare as I joined as 4th Engineer in Nov '64 and we sailed to Boston, light ship, and did a complete overhaul when we arrived. I stayed with her for 2 trips.

barrow-boy
19th May 2009, 06:31
Hi Nelson,

Is this the one?

Nick.

cannonball
20th May 2009, 19:49
LAKE ATLIN hi nelson for your info i recall the lake atlin comming to HULL ALEX DOCK in the sixty to discharge coppra we put her in dry dock for painting and what a shock the ships super had when he had to look round in the dock bottom lloyds came down to pass her and the bottom plating was right up we had to take 60 bottom plates of her she was in dry dock 7 weeks was you on at that time she must have been aground somewhere sam

If I remember correctly it must have happened when we called at Arruba for bunkers I was standing on deck looking over the rail, remarked to the bloke with me that we seemed to be going to fast for entering harbour,then we came to a stop aground,a tug pulled us off with little bother,we took on the bunkers, then set sail for the UK.none the wiser that we had suffered any damage,I never rejoined that ship for a second trip,so missed the dry docking.
Cannonball.
Brian Forbes.

aleccrichton1982
11th September 2009, 18:31
My Last Ship Was Bridgepool.had A Good Deck Crowd Especially Les Thompson And Kevin Berry Great Lads

Vic Heaney
2nd November 2009, 19:02

Well, if that was in the 60s it wasn't the first time she was run aground. I was R/O on her in late 1957 when she was put onto a reef in the Sulu Sea. Had to get divers down in Singapore and then drive gingerly back to Europe for drydock. Got me home 18 months early, though.

kaybee
12th November 2009, 21:18
My Last Ship Was Bridgepool.had A Good Deck Crowd Especially Les Thompson And Kevin Berry Great Lads

Hi Alec.

Thank heavens for the internet and this great web site. Never forgotten you and been looking for you for ages. How did the light bulb factory go down? ha ha!!

Kev.(==D)

Derek Roger
12th November 2009, 23:33
Hi Nelson ;
I was wondering if perhaps you sailed with a Chief or 2 nd Eng called John Hutchison with Ropners in the 60's .
Cheers Derek

arty
5th March 2012, 14:57
hi i sailed on lake atlin as jnr. eng. 10/1960 till 2/1962.
any one around then?
arty.

Vic Heaney
6th March 2012, 02:56

Are you sure that wasn't in late 1957, Sam? I was R/O on her then (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread) when she ran onto a reef in the Sulu Sea. She was examined by divers in Singapore then carried on to Hull, where she went into drydock. She had a cargo of copra which we had loaded in Indonesia.

It seems unlikely that she had a ripped bottom twice, and each time with a cargo of copra.

sam2182sw
6th March 2012, 12:14
Hi Vic yes i have just had a look at my paper work and it was that year was you on her at the time sam2182sw

Vic Heaney
6th March 2012, 18:39
Hi Vic yes i have just had a look at my paper work and it was that year was you on her at the time sam2182sw

Hello Sam

Yes, as I said above, I was R/O on this ship when it ran onto a reef in the Sulu Sea in late 1957. Then it was full steam astern without any sort of examination. We could have sunk!

Proceeded to Singapore, where divers inspected the bottom, which was severely damaged. No capacity in Singapore for repair was the story, so proceeded to Hull with the cargo, which I think was actually supposed to go to Hamburg. But destination changed to Hull for the repair.

Everybody on the ship knew about the damage, so I don't see how it can have come as a surprise to the super.

All this got me home early as we were all signed off after 6 months. Otherwise the ship would have unloaded the copra in Hamburg then off to somewhere else - we had all been expecting to be away from home for 2 years.

One of the books I will be publishing in the next 12 months will be called "Swim the Atlantic?". It will include this incident.