Panocean Shipping & Terminals Ltd

Willie Mac
17th June 2006, 00:46
Would like to hear from any other ex-Panocean shipmates surfing on this site.

Willie Mac

graham palmer
18th June 2006, 20:43
Hi Willie

Did a trip on the Pass of Balmaha - Falmouth April 76 to Stanlow June 76
then on the Post Chaser - round world trip from Rotterdam to Rotterdam Sept 76 to Feb 77 as R/O on secondment from P&O GCD.
The Chaser was a brilliant trip with a brilliant crowd one of my best trips.
Best wishes

Graham

Ron Stringer
19th June 2006, 00:12
Went out to a shipyard in Horten, Norway with Glyn (Whiskers) Smith, the P&O radio superintendent, to commission the transmitter on the first of the series of 4 (or 6) chemical carriers being built there. I cannot remember the name of the vessel, Post ???

The radio room had been fitted out with Marconi equipment by engineers from Norsk Marconikompani A/S but it was the first 1500-watt 'Conqueror' transmitter that they had seen. To avoid problems I was sent out from the UK to set it to work before handing over for seatrials. Flew from Heathrow to Oslo and then travelled down the fjord from Oslo to Horten by a small, high-speed, hydrofoil passenger ferry which, as there was floating ice everywhere, did not fill me with confidence.

Middle of winter, bitterly cold on board but things soon heated up when I put the transmitter on air. The installers had drilled a hole in the deckhead only about 0.5mm bigger than the diameter of the copper tube connecting the transmitting antenna selector switch to the antenna trunking. Lots of rf energy transferred from the antenna feeder to the deckhead resulted in the "non-flammable" deckhead material and insulation igniting and burning merrily. Lots of alarms, lots of activity with extinguishers and more activity to enlarge the hole around the copper tube antenna feeder.

Horten, being only a small town, did not boast a state liquor store so people had to travel quite a distance to buy booze. At my hotel, a bottle of duty-free gin was stolen from my suitcase in a closet in the locked hotel bedroom. It could only have been stolen by someone with a key to the room i.e. a hotel employee. When I complained to the manager he pointed to a sign behind the reception desk which said "For security reasons it is recommended that all valuables are handed to the management and kept in the hotel safe. The management accept no responsibility for items left in the rooms."

When I suggested that in England a litre bottle of gin was hardly considered "a valuable" item, he replied "In Horten it is worth a fortune".

You live and learn (slowly, in my case).

Ron

Jim MacIntyre
19th June 2006, 03:24
Hello Willie
Although not strictly a Panocean shipmate I did work in the U.S. for Panocean-Anco. Joined the New York office right after the merger in 1976, two years later transferred to the Houston office working with Capt. Jimmy Hunter and Gerry Duffy. Stayed in Houston for five years until the merger with Stolt Nielsen at which time I was moved to Connecticut.
While in Houston I did get to spend some time on the ships and still recall some of the Captains - Phil Messinger, George MacIver, Henry Watson among them.
Welcome to the web site you will enjoy your time here..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

Chief Engineer's Daughter
19th June 2006, 10:29
Anco Duchess, 1976, Post Challenger 1977 and Anco Templar 1980. Not strictly a shipmate as I was away with my Dad and enjoying being away from school!

bert thompson
19th June 2006, 22:12
Willie
I served as R/O with Panocean from August 1977 till April 1987.
Served on the following even with the name changes.
Post Champion Pass of Brander Anco Charger Post Challenger Anco Champion Pass of Balmaha Chelsea Pioneer Anco Chaser Stolt Stane Stolt Templar Aquamaster Iver Chaser Iver Champion.
Just realised that I started and finished with the Champion but had twelve discharges from the Balmaha my favourite ship of all time.
Regards
Bert

bert thompson
7th August 2006, 15:21
Willie
Where have they all gone. All those that played with computers onboard. Sure some of them are retired and playing with their computers at home. Musn't have found this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

Willie Mac
9th August 2006, 00:47
Hi Lads

I find it very surprising that there hasn't been more of a response to this Panocean Thread.

When I sailed on the Post Boats from 1974-76, the social life on board ship, and this included all departments, was excellent, and if I recall there certainly wasn't too many shrinking violets about.

Where are you all now.

Maybe what is needed is a Panocean Forum in the Ships and Shipping Area. Does anyone know how to go about requesting our own Forum

Willie

herbie
5th September 2006, 13:01
Worked on Anco ships in the 80s, first trip Sovereign then various including Stane,Templar,Sceptre,Enterprise,Endeavour,
Some good times some not so good,
Would be great to hear from any old mates.
Herbie

bert thompson
5th September 2006, 13:38
Welcome Herbie nice to have someone from Panocean. Enjoy this wonderful site and hopefully you will find old shipmates
Best Wishes Bert

herbie
6th September 2006, 02:36
Thanks Bert,
There dont seem to be many ex panocean guys on any of the sites i have found,but will carry on trying.My daughter finds it COOL that her Dad once sailed around the World even though he is ancient( i am 41!)

bert thompson
6th September 2006, 10:30
Herbie. When you reach seventysix that really is cool. I know, unfortunately ,from personal experience. Hope some more Panocean people will emerge
Best regards Bert

Ron Strike
7th September 2006, 10:40
Sailed on Enterprise, Chaser, Champion ,Charger and Princess from early 79 to 81, as what-they-called 2OE (Chief Lecky to everyone else). Great times with some great people.

bert thompson
7th September 2006, 11:27
What was the name of the first Post ship from Norway. Know it was a "C" as far as I recall but would like to know the name. Please.

Ron Strike
8th September 2006, 14:20
According to http://freepages.family.rootsweb.co...vecwll/anco.htm

The Sequence was :-
ANCO CHALLENGER 1972 / 1979 畫x POST CHALLENGER

ANCO CHAMPION 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHAMPION

ANCO CHARGER 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHARGER

ANCO CHASER 1973 / 1979 畫x POST CHASER

ANCO ENDEAVOUR 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENDEAVOUR

ANCO ENERGIE 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENERGIE

ANCO ENTERPRISE 1974 / 1979 畫x POST ENTERPRISE

ANCO ENTENTE 1975 / 1979 ex POST ENTENTE

Carl
18th September 2006, 03:05
Worked on Anco ships in the 80s, first trip Sovereign then various including Stane,Templar,Sceptre,Enterprise,Endeavour,
Some good times some not so good,
Would be great to hear from any old mates.
Herbie

I served on Anco Templar twice - Jan-June 81 & Oct-Jan 81 also Anco Empress Jun-Oct 81, Pass of Drumochter July-Sept 82, Anco Sceptre Aug-Jan 82/83.
I was a Deck Cadet at the time, now not serving at Sea as suffered spinal injury that has left me paraplegic. I ask the question did we sail at the same time? Were you on the Templar when we rescued a vessel on fire in the Red Sea in May 81? Some names I remeber were Andy Blore (2nd mate), Captain Billing (?), etc.

Luckily to say that all my times at sea were great, but then I was only a cadet - haha - (Thumb)

Best wishes anyway

18th September 2006, 10:15
Carl, when did you join the Anco Templar?

Skol
CED

vic pitcher
18th September 2006, 10:22
I served on Anco Templar twice - Jan-June 81 & Oct-Jan 81 also Anco Empress Jun-Oct 81, Pass of Drumochter July-Sept 82, Anco Sceptre Aug-Jan 82/83.
I was a Deck Cadet at the time, now not serving at Sea as suffered spinal injury that has left me paraplegic. I ask the question did we sail at the same time? Were you on the Templar when we rescued a vessel on fire in the Red Sea in May 81? Some names I remeber were Andy Blore (2nd mate), Captain Billing (?), etc.

Luckily to say that all my times at sea were great, but then I was only a cadet - haha - (Thumb)

Best wishes anyway

Carl,
Were you with me in "Drumochter?"
I was paired Master with the late Duncan Mackinnon.

herbie
20th September 2006, 18:47
Carl,
I joined the Sceptre in Liverpool on Jan 12 83, As Junior Op 2 ( deck boy basically.Sailed on her 3 times the last being her hand over to foreign crew in Singapore on 3 Dec 88( my last trip).
Still miss the good times but not some of the bad.
Im married with a 14 year old daughter and now work in aerospace engineering. (Thumb) cheers Herbie

stevedevan
19th October 2006, 15:37
Hi everyone, it is great to hear some of the names from the past.

Great memories!

From '75 to '80, I served on the Post Endeavour, Post Cheser, Post Charger, Anco Princess, Athel King, Post Runner. Joined as the lowest form of marine Life (lower than the Ameoba) as a Deck Cadet (or should it be Operations cadet) and left in 1080 as a 2nd Officer (Ops).
Unfortunately, can't remember too many of the names I've seen so far, but I thought that Phil Messenger was a tremendous help to me, Ken Tree was my first Master, and Paddy McKinnon was a respected (old school) guy, who gave me a bit of a hard time.
I had an absolutely fantastic time at see and I still miss it so much. I hope that some others from panocean come on board this thread.

stevedevan
19th October 2006, 16:42
I've just realised that no-one else has mentioned the Post Runner or the Post Ranger. I can't remember too much about them apart the from the fact that the Runner (which I was on board for about 2 weeks) was falling apart. Maybe it just did fall apart - completely.

I served on the Athelking on its last voyage for the Company when it was about to be handed over to a Flag Of Convenience after a drydocking in Malta. The last time saw it, it was about a year later when I was on another ship, when it came up behind us racing towards the Suez Canal trying to get in the convoy before us. The Gulf Of Suez was still mined- after the Israel/Egypt conflict. The Athelking under its new owners beat us by actually leaving the cleared channel and cutting across a corner of the Gulf Of Suez and risking getting blown up. It beat us to the last place in the convoy!

bert thompson
19th October 2006, 18:17
Was it the Runner or the Ranger that became Chelsea Pioneer ? Did a laying up trip on her from Pireaus to (forget the name) South of France. Remember telling the watchman that all the walkie talkies were locked away. He replied "it doesn't matter as they will steal anything here" Capable fellow. Wonder what happened to her. PS Discharge Book says Toulon. Articles from 6 - 13 February 1982.

BazB
20th October 2006, 15:03
Hello Bert

It was the Post Runner that was to become the Chelsea Pioneer (she was also the Anco State between 1964 and 1967).

I joined the Chelsea Pioneer at anchor off Pireaus with Captain Grant in December 1981. A few days after getting there she went into layup stern to the jetty between several other ships.

Regards,
Barry.

bert thompson
20th October 2006, 15:15
Hi Barry
Thanks. Guess the lay up in Tolouse was her final port. Wonder if she was scrapped after that. Perhaps someone can tell us
Regards
Bert

BazB
20th October 2006, 16:09
Hi Bert

Think I can answer that one too!

I'll include all previous and later names for you.

Launched 1961 as Berean, 64 Anco State, 67 Saga State, 70 Post Runner, 77 Argenpuma, 79 Acron C, 80 Chelsea Pioneer, 83 Pioneer 11, 84 Lara.

Sold by Lara Shipping Corp, Panama, to Spanish breakers and having left Algeciras 18/08/84 arrived at Castellon about 20/08/84 for breaking.

95% sure all above is correct but willing to be corrected if anyone knows different.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Barry.

bert thompson
20th October 2006, 18:20
Thanks Barry
Nice to know what happened to the old girl. Thought she was finished but see she had a few more years in her to go
Regards
Bert

fazak
20th October 2006, 18:48
Hi shipmates
It's great to see so many ex Panocean/Anco folk still around and still nostalgic about the good old days. I sailed with Panocean from March 1974 until April 1984 serving on the,Challenger,Charger,Champion,Enterprise,Endeavo ur,Chaser,Sovereign,Templar and Empress. I did several trips on some of those vessels and finaly came ashore in 1984 after a trip on the Charger to the Falkland Islands. I had served on many ships for various companies prior to Panocean but must say some of my most memorable times were on the Post ships. I have plenty of snaps taken during my time with them and will post them to the forum if anyones interested.
Regards,
Roy Parker ( ex CPO )

BazB
20th October 2006, 21:49
Hi To all on this thread.

Well joined Panocean in 1973 with my first trip on Post Chaser from the builders followed by many voyages between then and 1987.

Post Chaser December 73 to May 74
Post Champion June 74 to November 74
Post Endeavour February 75 to June 75
Post Enterprise July 75 to December 75
Post Challenger January 76 to June 76
Post Challenger August 76 to January 77
Post Challenger April 77 to October 77
Post Enterprise December 77 to Feb 78
Anco Endeavour May 78 to September 78
Anco Stane November 78 to March 79
Athelqueen April 79 to February 80 (2 trips back to back great ship & crew!)
Anco Sovereign May 80 to October 80
Anco Charger November 80 to April 81
Anco Empress June 81 to November 81
Chelsea Pioneer December 81
Anco Empress March 82 to August 82
Anco Stane January 83 to June 83
Anco Endeavour September 83 to January 84
Stolt Stane May 84 to October 84
Aquamaster March 85 to July 85
Berlin August 85
Aquamaster November 85 to May 86
Iver Champion August 86 to January 87

Left the Champion in drydock Singapore after they replaced us with foreign crew.
Said 'We'll ring you as soon as we have something for you". 19 years later and I'm still waiting for the bl**dy phone to ring! Still.....you never know.

Barry.

bert thompson
10th November 2006, 15:36
Willie
They are out there somewhere. I mean ex Panocean men. Hopefully some will find this site and join us.
Regards
Bert

goldie
10th November 2006, 17:43
Hi!, served on Athel/Anco/Pan-Ocean ships from 1965-1980
Athelduke, Anco Queen (14 month trip ), Athelmere, Anco Storm (she had
a figurehead on the bow), Athelstane, Athelmonarch,Athelchief, Athelduke,
Athelking,Anco Duchess, Anco Duke,Anco Empress, Anco Duchess,Anco Sceptre,Anco Templar, Anco Princess, Anco Duke, Post Ranger,Anco Princess, Anco Sovereign, Anco Duke,Anco Templar,Athel Monarch and Anco Stane.
Kind regards to all

BazB
10th November 2006, 18:12
Hi Goldie

Welcome to the site, not been a member for long myself but finding it really enjoyable.

Barry.

Keith Adams
23rd November 2006, 07:06
Hi Guys, I am a bit late with this as I thought that PANOCEAN SHIPPING was
a Korean Company... out here on the West Coast USA i worked their ships on
a regular basis... mostly steel cargoes inbound and logs out-bound... all ship
names began with"PAN". I was waiting for someone to mention them. Snowy.

Thamesphil
25th November 2006, 14:24
Snowy,

Pan Ocean Shipping (which was renamed STX Pan Ocean Shipping in 2005) is a Korean company and one with which I am very familiar.

However, this thread refers to a totally separate British company, which is no longer trading.

Phil

Keith Adams
26th November 2006, 06:26
Thanks to Thamesphil for the update on Pan Ocean. Snowy.

jasper
24th December 2006, 18:12
Carl. I paid off The Sceptre in Rotterdam on August 31st 1982. (Senior Ops) it was my second trip on her and I went on to do two more in 1986 and 88.
My first ship was the "Anco Empress" in 1974. The Sceptre voyage being my last before going coastal for 6 months and then shoreside mid 1989.
I too would love to hear from anyone that remembers Me from those fantastic years.
The Social life certainly was something else in those days and one cringes now at the thought, but hey, wasn't it great?

cboots
28th December 2006, 05:39
I joined Panocean in their very early days, I don't quite know why. Sailed on all three of the Rs, before the smart new boats came along. The Post Runner was probably the happiest ship I ever sailed on, and the Post Ranger was about the worst wreck I ever sailed on. She was enough for me, I slung me hook after her.
CBoots

King Ratt
28th December 2006, 18:11
I had the pleasure of sailing in Anco Charger as the man from the ministry from Oct 1983 to Mar 1984 when she was running for the MoD. Captain was a delightful man called Kerry Lewis from St Austell. My No 3 son was conceived onboard on the only night my wife visited the ship in Fawley - she having justdriven down from Scotland. A subsequent letter received from Captain Lewis in Dec 84 revealed that the "Charger" had quite a reputation for onboard conceptions.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time out of the MoD on Anco Charger with a fine bunch of men who didn't give me too hard a time!

BIGDUNC9
15th March 2007, 19:49
I was on Post Endeavour and Post Challenger 1976/1979. Had a good time and sadly left way too soon. I was known as a Junior Operator. Fazak (Roy) I think you might have been my CPO on Endeavour. South Africa voyage I think.
Regards
Mick Gill

Wallyh
7th April 2007, 23:58
Hello Herbie

I was the Mate on the Sceptre when she was handed over to Norwegians, since have emigrated to New Zealand been here since 1997

WallyH

David Milligan
17th August 2007, 15:11
Hi guys, did maiden trip on Rover and a trip on Runner as 3/Eng (2TO). Only three ships in the company then,1972.
Cheers David.

herbie
20th August 2007, 13:54
Hello WallyH,
Joined her in Rio Grande in Brazil on 15/9/88 after a pretty hairy flight on a small mail plane watching mist covered mountains at what seemed like inches from the wing tips.
Payed off 3/12/88 in Singapore and didnt even get one last trip to the beer garden! I wonder if its still there?
Sorry it took so long to answer but my wife is seriously ill with cancer and not checked site for ages atb Herbie

Wallyh
6th September 2007, 10:34
Herbie

Sorry to hear that hope everything is OK now, if I remember rightly you were stood by me in TsingToa where we were loading Castor Oil and I managed to cover myself head to foot in the stuff changing a hose over, you would most probably remember me as Jack ah the memories, she was a good ship and a good crowd as long as you could stand the pace.

Wallyh

herbie
9th September 2007, 10:51
Hi Wallyh,
Was that when I became PO Pumpman for the day so everyone else could go to see the Great Wall?
Think John Garbutt was pumpman, never did get me a beer for doing that for him!
Remember many names like Ronnie Anderson,Steve Maguire,Taff Walters, Frank Perin( best skipper I sailed with) Wonder what happened to them all as its been nearly 20 years! My brother in law lives in Napier having just moved from Hamilton.We looked at moving out there but sadly my wifes illness put a stop to that. Cheers Herbie

Wallyh
6th October 2007, 22:39
Herbie

yes that was right you were playing pumpman for the day while the rest swanned off to the Great Wall, Alan Rothery was the old man, think he is still with Wallems, the second mate is now with one of the big consultancies and I haven't a clue what happened to the third mate , Rob Gribben i think his name was.

Wally h

herbie
10th October 2007, 17:34
WallyH,
I thought Tsing Toa was beer! Have you got an itinery for that trip as cant remember half the places i went at sea.
My late Grandpa was RN from 1921-1946 and i have all his medals,all stars except the Pacific star and details of his ships, HMS Ark Royal,Ajax,Achilles etc. And i thought going up the Gulf was dangerous enough!
Hope you and yours are well
Herbie ( Paul)

BazB
11th November 2007, 14:27
If anyone's interested I've started going through my negatives and slides. Scanned a couple today, Post Challenger and Anco Empress pictures in the Gallery.
For all you 'rock dodgers' out there some of the Pass boats in Swansea prior to sale, probably the last pictures taken of them in Panocean guise, 23rd April 1984.

I have many more but will take time to find/scan/upload.

Regards,
Barry.

BazB
12th November 2007, 13:09
Anco Stane, Stolt Stane, Iver Chaser and Anco Templar now added to gallery.

No more for awhile as back in work tomorrow and a lot more sorting and scanning to be done first.

Barry.

kevhogg
22nd January 2008, 19:44
Hi all,
wasn't on any of Pan ocean boats but sailed with many who were,Billy (Whizz) evans, Stuart Evans-both finished with sea now.Ronnie (the rabbit) Anderson-BP Coasters, Eddie Jones-Campbell Maritime.All good lads and brilliant seamen.

herbie
3rd February 2008, 19:49
Hello Kev, Sailed with the Rabbit and havent seen him for 20 years, me him and Taff Walters went to Rotterdam on holiday in about 85, great times never to be bettered! Bob Dewsbury,Mick Quinn,Kev Barlow all good lads.

BazB
3rd February 2008, 20:11
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.

walshy
4th February 2008, 01:15
Hiya Willie Mac I sailed with Panocean Anco (formerly Athel Line) in the 70`s on Anco Empress Anco Sovereign Anco Princess Anco Stane

Mo A
23rd February 2008, 19:15
Hi all,
It's good to see there's quite a following here after so many years of silence on PanoceanAnco ships of the 70's.
I too sailed on various Post/Anco ships, as a Redifon R/O, finally settling for the Pass of Balmaha when the first nipper came along and then gave up to go shore-side with the sinking Wandsworth radio company.
Wish I'd stayed at sea a few more years and taken more pictures with a better camera.....
Stuck some memories on a website for anyone interested (www.merchantnavy.btinternet.co.uk) - grainy pictures and the odd crew list for the period 1975 to 1978 ish.

Now passing away the days on a narrowboat "Balmaha", had to paint it green cos the missus wouldn't agree to orange.

Mo

bert thompson
23rd February 2008, 22:10
Mo Many thanks for all the pictures especially of the Balmaha. My favourite ship of all time.Was on her from 27 2 80 until 26 9 83. Champion also
brings back happy memories. Served on her as the Post Champion, Anco Champion and Iver Champion.Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Best wishes,
bert.

jasper
12th March 2008, 21:29
Hi Herbie
Bob Dewsbury, now there's a name from the past. Bosun on Athelqueen back in 1979. Remember him standing on the top of one of the maindeck derrick masts, swaying back and fore with the roll of the ship and nothing to hold onto! Also remember him collapsing while tank cleaning in Portugal and having to get him out of the tank, heavy guy, luckily he was ok. As you say, great times.
Regards, Barry.

Barry,
That incident with Big Bob Dewsbury happenned a day after I joined in Oporto.
I had been 10 days stuck in a hotel with JD and his Wife (Nancy?) and another Operator who's name escapes me.
Never saw Bob again, great lad who was AB on my very first trip to sea on the Empress in 1974. Looked out for me that trip and his sense of humour was something that I will always keep with me.
Regards, Jasper.

BazB
12th March 2008, 23:50
Hello Jasper,

Have your dart skills improved any in the last 29 years?????

Barry.

mmurray
14th March 2008, 23:33
Hi folks,

Came acroos this site when researching past ships, served with Panocean from 1974 until 1979. Don't recognise any names, but it was a while ago. What I do know was that I was 4th Mate of the Athelqueen when the bosun, who I presume was Bob Dewsbury, was overcome in the tank. That was my last trip with Panocean Anco, as it became, hope Bob made a full recovery.
Not sure if anybody remembers me, full name Malcolm Murray.

Malcolm

BazB
15th March 2008, 09:22
Hi Malcolm

Don't remember you but it was a long time ago. As for Bob he was taken to hospital but returned before we sailed. After a couple of days he was his usual self.

Barry.

mmurray
16th March 2008, 13:24
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info about Bob. I do remember him returning to the ship. I check my book and I think the next port after was Hamburg and I paid off there.

Malcolm

BazB
16th March 2008, 13:44
Hi Malcolm

Yes Hamburg was the next port. I stayed on for a second trip when most of you paid off there.
Prior to Portugal we'd been up to the Gulf which came as a bit of a shock after our regular St. Croix - New York run.

Barry.

Tamboo
18th March 2008, 14:20
A few blasts from the past:

Capt Terry(?) Luke... old school and professional
Capt Edward (Piggy?) Grant... the total opposite
Duncan... a BIG scots AB/bosun(?) who looked just like Hagrid from H.Potter

... and then there was Ray (speedy Gonzales) the little rotund, older, Argentinian(?) permanent 3rd officer ops (or maybe 4oo uncertified ?).

Tamboo
18th March 2008, 14:32
Then there were the ships:

The Anco Empress... flooded a pumproom pre-Panama, put the anchor thro' the bow in the Pacific (limped back to San Francisco), then had a boiler explosion alongside in Japan.

The Athelqueen... new (old) 1st mate (ex T&L returning after years ashore) pumped out enough cargo (petrol?) in error off Sicily from 8 port (also the ballast tank) that there was a 3' list all the way to R'dam.

The Enterprise... the flagship!

Anyone recall which ship it was that ran up the beach somewhere in the South Seas and had to be towed (to Singapore?) for repairs? Any pictures (think it was in the co. newsletter)?

mmurray
19th March 2008, 07:16
Hi Barry,
We all missed the Pina Coladas on Buck Island when we were up the Gulf.

Malcolm

mmurray
19th March 2008, 07:27
Tamboo,

Was with "The Iron Duke" (twice) on the Empress also briefly with Peter Grant, also the Empress I think

deankct
18th May 2008, 12:40
Hi,
Just found this site, was with Panocean from 78 - 83, had almost forgotten about the Chelsea "Pensioner" Pioneer, did 2 months on her most of that spent at anchor in Sicily, crew mutiny, very interesting times. Remember putting her to rest in Pireus, stern too, spent christmas there and just made it home for new year, interested to learn she was later moved. Had a great time with Panocean and met some great people, liver just about recovered now.

blocker
13th July 2008, 17:54
hello you lot not heard a lot about you for a long time. I have just starting e mailing John Webster I found him from searching through the internet

all the best Jeff Quinn

bert thompson
14th July 2008, 09:46
Jeff.
Was John Webster a bosun. Seem to recall the name and sure we sailed together on the Champion

Best wishes

Bert.

blocker
14th July 2008, 20:17
Yes Bert lives in Nottingham I had a long chat with him the other week.

Jeff

stevesmi
16th September 2008, 19:15
Hi Guys, I worked for P&O as an R/O and sailed on POST CHAMPION as a Communications Officer from around Apr/May 1973 until about May/Jun 1974. Those were exciting days. After that I went back to P&O passenger liners. Cheers, Steve

Bill Greig
22nd September 2008, 12:16
Hello, did a trip on the Post Champion march 1977 to Aug.'77 as R/O on secondment from P&O GCD, great trip, brilliant ship, best trip I ever did. Joined Rotterdam did a round the world jaunt ended up in Liverpool, superb.
Junior R/O with me on that trip was Brian Nickerson from Bacton, Norfolk.

R396040
13th October 2008, 21:05
Hello there,
I was on the MV Postrunner on first voyage under Panocean flag in late 1971 as 2nd Officer (Services) in other words Purser/CS. She was old Norwegian ship because new builds were delayed,joined in Rotterdam and sailed out to Far East for palm oil. Chinese crew my first.... Really great crowd of officers and cadets. Captain or Ship Manager under new termology by Panocean was Ken Tree who was accompanied by his French wife. I got in touch recently with one of engineers Ray Morton commonly known as Gypsey Ray. All the wives were flown out by company to Lisbon on return leg, rough trip across bay, and most left hurriedly at Port Sunlight insteadof going round to London. About ten later held reunion at my wifes guesthouse in Bridlington, she was never able to use guestbook register again after some of the comments. Great ship,really great crowd.
Stuart Henderson

bert thompson
14th October 2008, 09:54
Greetings Stuart
Glad to see that there are still some of us around.
Your career seems very varied and interesting
Enjoy your retirement
Best wishes
Bert.

R396040
14th October 2008, 21:02
Greetings Stuart
Glad to see that there are still some of us around.
Your career seems very varied and interesting
Enjoy your retirement
Best wishes
Bert.

Thanks Bert,am enjoying this new experience (SN) but not very good with all this modern technology,
Stuart

daveh
8th March 2009, 06:58
Just came across this site and some of the names mentioned ring a bell. I worked for Panocean from 78 to 85 sailing on Athelmonarch,EndeavourX3,StaneX2,Enterprise,Charge r(falklands),Templar,Princess Sceptre. Started out as Engine room op and ended up the last few years as Cargo mech (pumpman). Them years in them ships were great times enjoyed every minute,some of the antics i still laugh about now. A Few of the lads I remember, Billy and Stu Evans,Ian Dalgetty,Gary Bohanna,Jasper,Mick Boughton(Beast),Pete buxton,jimmy mackay,bob dewsbury,dennis evans,les faulkner,tommy scully,karl hamilton,eddy staite, not bad for 24 years ago i suppose. Hope everyone is keeping OK.

Dave Hall.

BazB
25th March 2009, 14:36
Just added photographs of Anco Charger, Anco Sovereign & Anco Endeavour to gallery, may be of intrest to viewers of this thread.

Barry.

25th March 2009, 22:16
Barry, great to see some photos of the Anco ships. Brought back a few memories. The family can't work out why am so nostalgic over some pictures.

Looked at the crew lists on the Merchant navy website. There was one for the Anco Duchess for the summer we joined Dad. She was in dry dock in Cardiff during the drought of 1976. The old mans family joined as well so there was a few of us youngsters onboard. Very happy times.

BazB
25th March 2009, 23:16
Hi CED

Well it took a bit longer than planed to to get some more pictures scanned and in the gallery (16mths!) but made it in the end.
Have other Panocean photo's but mostly of the same ships and I picked the best to put in the gallery.
Still a considerable amount of slides and negs to sort through though so maybe others yet.
July 76 was when I got married and Linda and I then joined the Post Challenger in drydock at South Shields. I remember the Anco Duchess sailing past outbound while we were there, will find picture and upload.

Barry.

BazB
26th March 2009, 13:12
Anco Duchess now in the gallery.

Barry.

jiimy
31st May 2009, 16:44

Willie Mac

hi willie, i sailed on maiden voyage on charger, endevour and enterprise

jimmy

Carl
15th June 2009, 15:48
Hi There - I've just found my old Discharge Book whilst moving and found that I joined the good ol 'Sceptre' in Genoa on 23/8/81 as Cadet so it seems we must have sailed together. I left her for college on 6/9/81 in Rotterdam and was to be my last time at sea !
I reckon the 'Anco' ships were the hardest working ships in the Merch at that time and kept you the fittest - I mean up and down into the 3 pumprooms about 30 times a watch was like running a marathon these days.
Wonderful memories/happy days.
Hope all is well with you - Trying to contact a Pumpman called Dave Heasman - Any thoughts/ideas?
Carl. I paid off The Sceptre in Rotterdam on August 31st 1982. (Senior Ops) it was my second trip on her and I went on to do two more in 1986 and 88.
My first ship was the "Anco Empress" in 1974. The Sceptre voyage being my last before going coastal for 6 months and then shoreside mid 1989.
I too would love to hear from anyone that remembers Me from those fantastic years.
The Social life certainly was something else in those days and one cringes now at the thought, but hey, wasn't it great?

Carl
15th June 2009, 15:57
Served as Deck Cadet on Templar, Empress, Templar, Sceptre - all in 81/82 and the Pass of Drumochter 82.

Trying to locate any shipmates, Andy Blore, Dave Heasman (Pumpman extrodinare!), Mr Champion (Irish 2nd mate), Capt Billings, etc, etc

I live near Hull, willing to travel for a beer

Happy Days/Great Memories with the hardest working ships in the Merch

Carl

judd1992
7th July 2009, 23:10
Joined Panocean in 1980 straight from the sea factory and left when they changed to IOM. Pan Ocean must have given me a good start as have managed to work up from deckboy to master. Presently sailing with Maersk on their Danish flagged tankers.
Sailed on the Sceptre, Stane,Empress, Charger, Pass of Dirremore and Pass of Glenclunie. Sailed with a lot of the names mentioned on earlier posts. Frank Perrin passed away a few years back. Frank was the chief Mate on my first trip and the next time i sailed with him was 20years later when he was master and i was Chief mate. Speak to the Rabbit regularliy, he hasn't changed much over the years,he's still on the Border boats and living in Thailand.
I also sailed with Jasper on the Charger for one of its falkland trips.

Rob Reynolds
9th July 2009, 23:21
Joined Panocean as cadet 1974 left Panocean 1983. Glad to see the old outfit has not disappeared completely. Sailed on most of the deep sea fleet including the old nails Runner and Ranger. Joined CP 1983 came ashore 1988.
Cheers
Rob

daveh
23rd July 2009, 01:14
Sorry to hear of the passing away of Frank Perrin, I sailed with him as pumpman,he was chief officer ( Mate) at the time,a real decent bloke. I still see Steve Blane and Paul Harrison from time to time as they are in the offshore oil and gas industry,the same as myself but not on the same platform.We always get on about the Panocean days over a few beers,always brings a smile to our faces. Not heard of anyone elses wherabouts for a good few years now,would love to hear from anybody who remembers me.

All the best

Dave Hall

eddie jones
18th August 2009, 01:29
it's eddie jones, jasper (EAMON ANDREWS) i was on that trip with you,(sceptre untill 30/08/82) hope your still knocking about on this site, i noticed your last e,mail was some time ago, lets hope that you get this one, hope your in good health these days, i, like yourself have'nt come across many face's from them day's, heard of one or two, i believe lee meldrum is on the ferries out of holyhead at the moment, still at sea myself, on an aggregate dredger that work' on the north east coast, anyway if your still visiting this site drop us a line, . take care of yourself, and hopefully i'll hear from you in the near future.

K urgess
18th August 2009, 01:58
Welcome aboard, Eddie.
I've edited your post to remove the clickable email address as per site policy.
Have a good trip

herbie
22nd August 2009, 19:03
Really sorry to hear Frank passed away.
I lost my wife to cancer at the end of June so am trying to get life back on track. She was only 41 but they seem to be getting younger.
Always knew the Rabbit would never change!!
Now work as a Control Tech for Severn Trent Water, water must be in the blood!! Still, its office based and surrounded by Mid 20s girls, so whos moaning!

denisekearney
6th October 2009, 23:13
Hi,
I am looking for anyone who may have known my uncle Sean/John Nolan who died aboard the Anco Duke in July 1978.

I think there were 4 other fatalities on the same day. Another Irish man called John Lyons and three others who I believe were asian (but I may be wrong).

As he died two years before I was born an I am hoping to hear from anyone who may be able to tell me some stories about him.

Thanking you in advance,
Denise

denisekearney
6th October 2009, 23:19
Hi Goldie -

I wonder were you working on Anco Duke in July 1978?

It would be great to hear from you

Hi!, served on Athel/Anco/Pan-Ocean ships from 1965-1980
Athelduke, Anco Queen (14 month trip ), Athelmere, Anco Storm (she had
a figurehead on the bow), Athelstane, Athelmonarch,Athelchief, Athelduke,
Athelking,Anco Duchess, Anco Duke,Anco Empress, Anco Duchess,Anco Sceptre,Anco Templar, Anco Princess, Anco Duke, Post Ranger,Anco Princess, Anco Sovereign, Anco Duke,Anco Templar,Athel Monarch and Anco Stane.
Kind regards to all

herbie
22nd October 2009, 15:15
Hi Denise, It was before I joined the company but there should be people who can help.Its a long time ago but I think it was gas in the bottom of the tank. Only just remember so sorry if I am mixed up!

Carl
1st June 2010, 00:27
When I broke my Back - Solts gave me the 'Anco Templars' ships Bell as it was re-named...It takes pride of place in my 'Home' Office, along with the Ships Plans and the Compnaies P.R. Poster bearing the Anco Templar...It reminds me of my first ever trip which was on the good ship 'Templar' - So, how cool is that !!

I still think that Pan Ovean Anco Vessels were the hardest working ships in the Merch in the 80's.....But, oh, what fun we had. regards to you all

Carl

shaunjones62
28th January 2012, 13:10
Hi all i joined the sceptre at dry dock in early 79, then went on to sail on the charger, templar, endevour, sovereign, and challenger, but not in that order, would love to hear from any old ship mates

Arf
6th February 2013, 21:36

Hi Jasper, I remember you very well, lad from Kettering, huge Genesis fan and friend of one Gary Bohanna. I did two trips with you if memory serves me properly; the Anco Princess in 1980 and the Anco Endeavour later on that year and on into 1981. I was P.O.Cook on those ships my name is John Dawson. Some of the names that spring most readily to mind are big Steve Maguire, Ted McLeod the cook, the inimitable Bluebell (I think his real name was Rob) and your next door neighbour from Corby, Chris Hamlet (was that guy ever sober?). We did the Med on the princess and the far east on the Endeavour, hard working ships but happy. My last voyage was on the Charger during the war in the Falklands. After that I went back to college, on to university and I am now a primary school teacher, bit of a change eh, but I love it. Hope you're well, look forward to hearing from you.

steve_askew
11th May 2013, 05:34
Hi all, my name is Steve Askew (Geordie was my nickname with Panocean) I sailed with Panocean from 1974 until about 1977 then with several coastal and oil rig supply companies. My career in the Merchant Navy abruptly ended in 1986 after sustaining an injury at sea. After a period of recovery, work for five years as a radio presenter then with my wife, started and managed a very successful entertainment company and retired at 60. I would love to hear from old shipmates.

steve_askew@hotmail.co.uk

llongwr
16th May 2013, 14:14
Hello Roy,
My name is Bob Wright and I did a couple of trips on Panocean. My friend Ted Rogowski remembers you and wonders if you know the whereabouts of a steward named John Parsons? He was such an entertaining character.

BazB
16th May 2013, 18:31
Hi Bob
Is Ted still in the habit of eating cloves of garlic?

Barry.

BowTech
1st June 2013, 19:06
Good day all - Served Enterprise, Endeavour, Challenger, Duchess & Balmaha plus short spells on other in the fleet as relief in the early 70's through to '84 - 3/O, 2/O, Snr. 2/O & C/O. - fun times and always an event! Many of us ended up as management with other companies. Sadly now we are all retiring and drifting to forums to remember the old days. I raise a glass to all from the Post/Anco days - cheers and best wishes
Stan Bowles

annaredmond
22nd August 2013, 16:59
Hi

My name is Anna Redmond, I am researching for a book about my dad Fred (Frederick William McKechnie) Redmond and what he was doing at the time I was born in February, 1982.

So far I know that he was working as a Marine Superintendent for Panocean Anco on a ship in dry-dock (possibly the Anco Stane) in Yokahama, Japan.

If you know anything about Dad or what ship was in dry-dock at that time please let me know, especially if you knew him or worked with him personally (or know someone who did).

Thanks, Anna

BowTech
22nd August 2013, 18:09
Hello Anna,
Yes I remember your father - but only vaguely.
Also, if you give me more information about the date of the dry docking then I might be able to nail the ship down.
Stan

R396040
22nd August 2013, 21:58
Sailed on Postrunner on her first Panocean voyage in 1971. Chinese crew annd the best crowd of officers I sailed with in my thirty years at sea, Master was Ken Tree
Happy days Stuart (George) Henderson

annaredmond
23rd August 2013, 19:37
Hi Stan

That' good news!

We reckon the ship was in drydock between 11th January and 8th March 1982 but I can give you more exact dates at the weekend if you want to hold on till then.

Anna

BowTech
27th August 2013, 21:22
Anna/Stan
Any more details?

stevedevan
1st September 2013, 19:47
Hi Stan,

Hope all is well. I think it was about 7/8 years since we emailed each other.

I still recall you as one of he most laid back (and professional) 2nd Off. Ops I sailed with. You enjoyed catching those rays!

Steve Devan

dutch holland
1st September 2013, 19:59

Willie Mac
Hi Willie, I was on the Post Champion in 1976, deck dept, AB, joined in Eastham, birkenhead. sailed far east, seoul, Kobe, Yokohama, Chiba, Kimba (borneo), Sandakaan, (Indonesia), gulf, Medi and home.

BowTech
2nd September 2013, 01:18
Hi Stan,

Hope all is well. I think it was about 7/8 years since we emailed each other.

I still recall you as one of he most laid back (and professional) 2nd Off. Ops I sailed with. You enjoyed catching those rays!

Steve Devan

Ahoy! glad to know you are still around!!
In Vancouver now but still messing around with chemical tankers!

alan ward
2nd September 2013, 14:22
I`ve asked before but anyone know what happened to Peter Mitchell ex Clan Purser?

jasper
3rd October 2013, 21:18
For anybody that remembers me my first book entitled "Peanut" has just been published via Authorhouse.
Anybody that does remember me, or would like to purchase a signed copy please private message me and I will sort a copy out for you.
I have many more stories in my locker and would love to start on a sequel (This book only covers up to 1975).
John Dawson...... Yes, certainly remember you. Bluebell was Robertson Baff. Remember Steve and Ted well in the galley with you (Didn't we Christen Ted "Candy" or something like that?)
Ted Rogowski also, so many names and now a lifetime away.

Please visit www.jcecil-peanut.com

jasper
3rd October 2013, 21:25
Hello Roy,
My name is Bob Wright and I did a couple of trips on Panocean. My friend Ted Rogowski remembers you and wonders if you know the whereabouts of a steward named John Parsons? He was such an entertaining character.

Say Hi to Ted for me.

John Parsons was one of a kind. No idea where he is now, he used to live in a mobile home in Rushden just down the road from me.
Remember paying off The Sovereign in 1982 in Houston three days before Xmas and he had his trusty piano accordion in his hand luggage. Had the whole aircraft singing Christmas carols over the Atlantic. (I'm pretty sure you'd get arrested these days).
Great memories, just one of thousands.

steve_askew
27th October 2013, 04:55
[QUOTE=annaredmond;698352]Hi

My name is Anna Redmond, I am researching for a book about my dad Fred (Frederick William McKechnie) Redmond and what he was doing at the time I was born in February, 1982.

So far I know that he was working as a Marine Superintendent for Panocean Anco on a ship in dry-dock (possibly the Anco Stane) in Yokahama, Japan.

If you know anything about Dad or what ship was in dry-dock at that time please let me know, especially if you knew him or worked with him personally (or know someone who did).

Thanks, Anna[/QUOTE

Hi Ann, I sailed with your father on the Post Enterprise in 1976 he was chief engineer and I was a seaman but I do remember him well. good luck with your book.]

Rob Reynolds
31st October 2013, 22:51
Hello Anna,
I was on the Anco Stane in dry dock/repair alongside in Yokohama, I paid off 16/03/82. So I can confirm the ship. I was the 1OT or 2nd Engineer, from memory most of the work was deck based and I spent most of my time overhauling the geny engines and checking the dockyard doing the boiler surveys. I certainly remember your fathers name but I am struggling to remember much else, getting old, hope this helps.

scotvet
19th July 2014, 02:35
You guys are bringing a tear to the corner of my eye. Nostalgia! What better times than a young man, tanned and abroad, with money in his pocket and good friends to help him drink it with.
Singapore, Colombo, Yokohama, Melbourne, Wellington, Iran (Athel Queen late 70's), Virgin Islands (Yep! Happened to me there), Iraq (Sorry! Army), well you've all been there.
I was once told by an 'old and bold' who had rejoined Panocean, that all he ever dreamed of was being at sea, and so he came back, and he told me that I would walk in his shoes as well. "Not me", I thought, but after all the storms, and all the wars, ( Army again...sorry!), being on board the Athel Queen on my first trip is my best memory.
I joined in Baltimore, and we were on a regular round trip to St, Croix in the American Virgin Islands, and although that nice young lady who took care of 'cherry boy', no longer fills my dreams, I find that I have never been happier than at that moment.

richy c
9th October 2014, 16:47
Hi

Thanks, Anna

Hi Anna, I sailed with your father on Post Chaser, when I was the Mate, Tony Froggatt was Captain. This in 1974? I knew Fred very well as I did many drydocks with him. Up to about 1999. Get in touch if you want to talk abt him, he was my boss, but I also counted him as a friend. I spent a few years sailing on Russian ships, And your father was superintendent.