Jebsens

Hillview
17th June 2006, 14:59
Are there any ex Jebsens men out there I was with them for 12 years.
You worked 60 hours but got paid for 40.
Hard working ships with totally inadequate high maintenance Pielstick engines for long sea passages.

R58484956
17th June 2006, 18:40
Welcome Chief (Hillview)to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

theaskew
14th August 2006, 15:57
HILLVIEW. HI
I was with JEBSENS 11 years (AB-BOSUN)
I finnished up on MV TELNES. Conveyer discharge.
Very hard work.
Regards ARTIE

Ivor Lloyd
14th August 2006, 18:53
Hillview
I was Radio officer on the Vigsnes 1950.
Ivor

lakercapt
15th August 2006, 15:28
Sailed briefly with "Jebbies" on M/V Brimnes and M/V Ringnes.
Were a good company to work for and treated the officers and crew well.
Sent my wife a Christmas box when I was away over that period.
Did expect you to earn your corn which came as a surprise to some.
Went to Bergen on occassion to get my Jebbies jag (brainwashing! session)
The engines you mentioned "Hillview" were they the ones with that harmonic damper (Guislinger coupling)?

Hillview
16th August 2006, 10:59
Indeed they were fitted with Geislinger Couplings between engine and gearbox.
They were terrible to work on,they had laminated drive fingers that broke,also oil seals that leaked.
On later engines they fitted Vulcan couplings which were a bit better but due to extensive flexing the plies burst and although easier to renew took time to torque up due to rubber outer covering onto steel ferrules embedded in outer flange. Woe betide you if you tried to take a short cut to torque these couplings up.
Pielstick engines were German but all patents drawings etc were given to France in war raparations and they developed the higher power range,etc.
For shipowners they were lighter and therefore could carry more cargo in their ships but were a constant high maintenance engines totally unsuited to Jebbies long haul passages i.e. Freemantle to Antwerp with two days for crew change,Bunkers,Maintainance,give me a slow speed engine anytime.

Moulder
21st August 2006, 17:57
Hi Hillview,

I sailed with Jebbies from around 1978 to 1983 as Radio Officer. Did few tours on those bouncy castles "Clydenes" & "Clarkenes" then deep sea on Spraynes, Sharpnes, Swiftnes, Borgnes and finally Telnes. A good company and enjoyed my time with them.

georgemacleod
26th October 2006, 19:57
hi arthur,did 11 years with jebbies myself.I'm sure i sailed with you,your brother ron & sid silk on the R-boat's early eighties.Stornoway boy me @ in the north sea now for my sins.

theaskew
27th October 2006, 15:42
Hi Georgemacleod.
Yes you are right,Sid Silk was bosun.The brothers Arthur & Ron Birch & I
was the other Arthur Askew (Artie )Ron was donkeyman. Art & me ABs.
The two brothers & me where shipmates for years.They have both passed
away now and i am well into retirement.
Regards Artie

fitlike
27th October 2006, 16:03
When I left the merchant navy, I got a job on Jebsens oil rigs, the offshore side was real good
Eric Cardno

tyrol
26th February 2007, 15:17
Are there any ex Jebsens men out there I was with them for 12 years.
You worked 60 hours but got paid for 40.
Hard working ships with totally inadequate high maintenance Pielstick engines for long sea passages.
Sailed as R/O wth Jebbies in the late 70's early 80's, the Risnes, Bernes and Sealnes.
Tom

Hague
26th February 2007, 19:03
Crossley Pielstick 9PC2L on the 'Rocknes' Class were the finest Pielstick I ever sailed with. The Dorman Auxiliaries were a pain and No.3 (aftmost) subsequently changed to Cummins.

lakercapt
27th February 2007, 15:28
The "Rocknes" claass if my memory serves me right were made for running as unmanned at night and the engineers had an alarm panel in their cabin.
A tale about that. We get a replacement chief engineer as our regular one got sick. He had been retired and it was a pierhead jump sort of. Was feeling no pain from a few libations when he boarded and signed on and went to bed. We had the required bodies and off we sailed.
It took a couple of days for him to finish his stash and then summoned the second to his cabin.
Davie (the only other engineer) had been running things on his own in the meantime (with the help of a donkeyman the only other E/R staff) and was somewhat tired and upset.
I want to see how the engineeers are said the chief."I am fine chief" said Davie "now you are on the alarm. Went over and turned the panel switch to C/E and left.
Needless to say we got another c/e next port as the poor old guy hadn't a clue.

steviej
27th February 2007, 16:44
I am quite suprised that you only worked 60 hours with Pielstick Engines.

Hague
27th February 2007, 18:18
StevieJ
The 'in line' engines as you know are a different animal than the 'V' type. I was in the 'Rocknes' when she was sold out of Jebsens (89) but remained in their Pool. The new owner clearly understood these engines as we were never wanting for spares or anything else for that matter.
Hague

steviej
27th February 2007, 21:01
Hague
I stand corrected.
I never worked on the in line engines. I spent most of my time working with the V18's. I wrongly assumed by name Pielstick the Rockness Class were just as bad. Cheers

janathull
1st March 2007, 05:37
I sailed with Jebbies in the 80s on the Bernes, we did the sheep run from Freemantle to Jeddah, and then went on the Sharpness, found the company o.k. Jan.

Hague
1st March 2007, 18:14
The "Rocknes" claass if my memory serves me right were made for running as unmanned at night and the engineers had an alarm panel in their cabin.
A tale about that. We get a replacement chief engineer as our regular one got sick. He had been retired and it was a pierhead jump sort of. Was feeling no pain from a few libations when he boarded and signed on and went to bed. We had the required bodies and off we sailed.
It took a couple of days for him to finish his stash and then summoned the second to his cabin.
Davie (the only other engineer) had been running things on his own in the meantime (with the help of a donkeyman the only other E/R staff) and was somewhat tired and upset.
I want to see how the engineeers are said the chief."I am fine chief" said Davie "now you are on the alarm. Went over and turned the panel switch to C/E and left.
Needless to say we got another c/e next port as the poor old guy hadn't a clue.

I am afraid this was fairly standard throughout the nineties even when they passed out of Jebsens ownership to owners who spoiled you with spares (if that's possible)
Hague

Hague
29th April 2007, 19:04
Dave/Lakercapt
Understand Wilson Muuga (ex Selnes, Risnes) which grounded off Reykjane, Iceland on 19.12.06 reported to have berthed in Hafnarfjordur on 17.04.06
What next???

Pilot mac
30th April 2007, 14:40
Would be interesting to hear how they got her off and what condition she is in.

Dave

Moulder
25th September 2007, 16:06
Anyone sail on these two North Sea ships? If I remember right - the skippers manning at that time were Jack Apsey, Wes Ogle and Charlie Campbell.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

theaskew
28th September 2007, 13:55
Hi Steve
I was on the Clydenes 5-3-80 to 20-3-80 (relieving)
I have sailed With all three on differant ships.
Regards Artie

Bill Davies
28th September 2007, 15:03
Am I right in thinking there is an existing 'Clydenes' (small self discharger)

Moulder
28th September 2007, 16:07

Hi Bill,

Yep - I've seen photos of the new "Clydenes" on Shipspotting.com - suppose the vessel I was on is no more.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Moulder
28th September 2007, 16:09
Hi Steve
I was on the Clydenes 5-3-80 to 20-3-80 (relieving)
I have sailed With all three on differant ships.
Regards Artie

Hi Artie,

Just missed you then - went deep-sea on Spraynes at around that time. Your name does ring a bell though.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

Bill Davies
28th September 2007, 17:09
Hi Bill,

Yep - I've seen photos of the new "Clydenes" on Shipspotting.com - suppose the vessel I was on is no more.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

From what I can gather the current 'Clydenes' was acquired from Arklow Shipping a few years ago. She was the 'Arklow Brook' built in the mid 90s

Moulder
7th October 2007, 21:28
Anyone know if Sandy Ritchie is still knocking about? Sailed with him when he was master on a couple of the S boats.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Bill Davies
7th October 2007, 22:23
Most of you would not recognize Jebsens as it is a shadow of its former self. What with Atle in retirement and not enjoying good health.

Moulder
10th November 2007, 13:15
Atle was a very forward looking shipowner in his time - I wish him well in his retirement.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Bill Davies
10th November 2007, 13:33
Atle was indeed a forward looking shipowner unfortunately he surrounded himself with a lot of 'hangers on'. Bjorn (his son) is now in the seat but Atle is still hovering in the background.

lakercapt
10th November 2007, 22:00
Most of you would not recognize Jebsens as it is a shadow of its former self. What with Atle in retirement and not enjoying good health.

I was taken back when I saw Atle being interviewed recently.
He has aged significantly course he could say the same about me.
Did you ever meet him Bill???
When in Bergen on the ship he would be down in the galley having a coffee after his exercise run or latterly walk before going in to the office. Took pride in knowing first hand what was going on with his ships.
Always open for discusion and willing to listen to the crews concerns etc.
A shipowner that I liked!!!!

Bill Davies
10th November 2007, 22:13
Have known him and his wife Arhhild for many years.
The 'Rocknes' incident some years ago really affected him and I don't think he has ever recovered from it. A shipowner with heart!

jmcg
26th April 2008, 22:43
Anyone out there who sailed on the Binsnes in the early 70's. Capt. Ronnie Safe. One A.B. (me) the other deck crew consisted of 4 engine room lads and two or three Portuguese andtwo Spaniards from the International Pool in Rotterdam. Loaded Pig Iron in ymuiden for Shanghai. In Singapore (bunkers) we were told that it was shoreside cranes to unload. However, when we got to Shangghai there was no shoreside equipment. Skipper,Mates, Bosun and myself assissted by the R/O and cadets rigged up the deck cranes and grabs. This took us about two days and nights. I remember Capt. Safe telling me to "turn in to get some shut eye" before we started to unload. The Chinese dockers would not entertain the on board ships grabs and more often than not wires parted and the deck cranes blew the contactors.

We sailed about 10 days later for Albany in Aussie to load Urea for Jakarta. Again Capt Safe inquired of my knowledge of Jakarta (I was ex Blue Funnel) and when I suggested that our Lifeboats might be pilfered along with the ropes and anything else by the Indonesians he confirmed that we had no spare wire ropes left - we had used every spare wire rope in Shanghai.

Apart from the obvious manning deficiences (GPSI manning was never a success) she was a hard working but happy ship.

Anybody got any news on Capt. Ronnie Safe. He was ex Silver Line.

tyrol
28th April 2008, 17:09
Anyone sail on the Sealnes 78,79,80. Was there as R/O, trying to remember names.
Tom

Lawrie E
1st May 2008, 20:35
Anyone know whereabouts of Capt George Maxwell Legate.

"Much to be regretted but your goods are slightly wetted"

Lawrie E

Moulder
3rd May 2008, 12:13
Wes Ogle - Jack Apsey - anyone sail with these skippers?

Steve.
(Thumb)

theaskew
6th May 2008, 16:03
Hi Moulder
Yes I Have sailed with both of them.Not quite sure which ships.
Was Jack Apsey on Bulknes,I joined her in Bluff NZ,30-07-74.Left
on 16-10-74.I could also have sailed with him on the Clydenes.Wes Ogle
maybe Rocknes or Ringnes (not sure)I thought he was Chief Officer when
I sailed with him.I seem to recollect I was with him when he left the company.
My memory not to good.
Regards Artie

Moulder
6th May 2008, 17:06
Hi Artie,

Yep - I sailed with both on Clydenes and Clarkenes.

Enjoyed my time with Jack Apsey - a good skipper.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

theaskew
6th May 2008, 18:04
Hi Moulder
Yes I agree with you.Jack Apsey was a great skipper.
I am sure I was on the Bulknes with him.
Regards Artie

Enri
19th August 2008, 13:46
I sailed in Jebsens from 1977 to 1985
Ships included the Furunes (My most favourite ship ever), Risnes, Sealnes Saltnes, Rocknes, Loftnes, and Firmnes, (My last ship with the company),.
Sailed as 2/0 and C/O, then back to 2/O.
Sorry to hear Atle Jebsen is not doing too well health wise, I only met him once, and as contracts were hard to come by at the time, he told the London Office to give me one. Of course the office wriggled out of it, but he seemed an honest, fair bloke.
Have many happy memories of the Furunes, joining her in Hamburg, Feb 77, (a complete crew change, should have known something wasn't quite right), and even the drink was free in the hotel. The ship was under arrest, and she was in a poor way with the electrics in the FX head burnt out. Put into a floating dock, it was all sorted and we left for Porsgrun to load fertilizer for the States. On the way across the pond, N01 derrick broke adrift knocking a coal vent cover off, No1 hatch, flooding it. During the crossing the mate and Bosun took a walk around the deck to see if all was ok, and on unclipping the paint locker they were knocked over by a four foot wall of paint, as all the unused dry dock paint had leaked from its drums. Discharged what we could in Wilmington, then to Tampa for repairs, (a week or two in the sun). Then to Charleston, and on to Durban with waste paper, (not bad for a so called North Sea ship). (Met a young lady in Durban to whom I later proposed), loaded chrome ore on the Bluff and the Passenger Terminal. During an explanation by the mate to the 3/O and myself on how we were to load it, the Master, Capt Davies turned to the mate and said no not that way, and when the mate protested, the Master told him it was his ship and that the mates relief was landing in Durban as they were speaking, then promptly sacked him.
Up to the continent, to Antwerp and Rotterdam, around to Swansea, where I paid off, and immediately flew back down to Durban. I tried to rejoin the Furunes, but the company didn't want to know. As for the young lady, although she accepted my proposal, she later returned to the Uk, ( she was an expat), found and later married somebody else.
But it was the trip I will always remember. There were so many characters aboard her, and so many things that went wrong, people just wouldn't believe it if you told them.
Enri

Brian Locking
19th August 2008, 13:59
Seems to be a typical jebsen story.
Heard a story of Rafnes or Risnes (twin NOHABs) being towed into Miami in the early 1990s. Changed crew and flag. Anyone have any knowledge.

Brian

lakercapt
19th August 2008, 14:09
Ships included the Furunes (My most favourite ship ever), Risnes, Sealnes Saltnes, Rocknes, Loftnes, and Firmnes, (My last ship with the company),.
Sorry to hear Atle Jebsen is not doing too well health wise, I only met him once, and as contracts were hard to come by at the time, he told the London Office to give me one. Of course the office wriggled out of it, but he seemed an honest, fair bloke.
Have many happy memories of the Furunes, joining her in Hamburg, Feb 77, (a complete crew change, should have known something wasn't quite right), and even the drink was free in the hotel. The ship was under arrest, and she was in a poor way with the electrics in the FX head burnt out. Put into a floating dock, it was all sorted and we left for Porsgrun to load fertilizer for the States. On the way across the pond, N01 derrick broke adrift knocking a coal vent cover off, No1 hatch, flooding it. During the crossing the mate and Bosun took a walk around the deck to see if all was ok, and on unclipping the paint locker they were knocked over by a four foot wall of paint, as all the unused dry dock paint had leaked from its drums. Discharged what we could in Wilmington, then to Tampa for repairs, (a week or two in the sun). Then to Charleston, and on to Durban with waste paper, (not bad for a so called North Sea ship). (Met a young lady in Durban to whom I later proposed), loaded chrome ore on the Bluff and the Passenger Terminal. During an explanation by the mate to the 3/O and myself on how we were to load it, the Master, Capt Davies turned to the mate and said no not that way, and when the mate protested, the Master told him it was his ship and that the mates relief was landing in Durban as they were speaking, then promptly sacked him.
Enri

Its a small world after all as I was the mate you mentioned and I was happy to fly home from Durban. I was asked to go to the office in Rislip when I returned home and explain the goings on and why I had asked to get off. Told a few sorry stories and when the ship arrived in Europe a director visited the ship. He found out what I said was true and the master was fired. I was promoted to Master two months later.(I had prevously sailed as master for several years before joining Jebsens and was in the process of immigrating to Canada)
What you mentioned about thing going wrong on that ship are firmly ingrained in my mind.
We had a crew from shore clean up the forecastle during discharge of the old bales of paper and the stevadores had a great time as some bales had "Playboy" "Penthouse' in them etc

Enri
22nd August 2008, 18:57
Thinking back to Wes Ogle, made me remember either the mate Wally Breckenridge or Capt Ogle had just joined in ijmuden(?) and Wally had been "invited" into the old mans cabin for a drink. As I was loading that night Wally came to me and told me he had sailed with Wes before, and to give him half an hour, then call him on the pretext that something was wrong. Unfortunately something did go wrong, but by the time I had it sorted I'd totally forgotten all about Wally in the oldmans cabin. At about seven the next morning while walking up the deck with the third mate, handing over, a port in the oldmans cabin opened and Wally leaned out calling for help, only to see the oldman pull him back into the cabin, for another can of beer. Can't remember what ship, except it was an R boat.
Couldn't do that nowadays!
Enri

BillH
12th September 2008, 16:38
The current CLYDENES was converted from ARKLOW BRIDGE in 2005
The original CLYDENES was in 2005 trading as the Turkish flag VILDIRIM K and her sister CLARKNES was in 2005 trading as Comoros flag ANNA.

These were the last updates to my records for inclusion in the World Ship Society publication JEBSENS published in 2005 ISBN 0-9543310-6-0

A4 hardback 224 pages well illustrated fleet history.

Bill

Bill Davies
12th September 2008, 20:44
Are any of the 'Rocknes' class (Appledore 75/76) still sailing?

BillH
12th September 2008, 20:57
RINGNES went to breakers in 2003
RISNES I believe is now WILSON MUUGA
ROLLNES in 2003 became N.Korean flag AMIR AHMAD
ROCKNES I believe is now WILSON MO

The three optional sisters for which the contracts were sold to Turnbull Scott who revised the design changing main engine and having gantry cranes on deck came out as SANDGATE, GREEN PARK and SOUTHGATE. I believe only 2 of this trio remain.

EBenarty
12th September 2008, 21:29
I sailed with Jebsens on the rigs Ali Baba, Sinndbad Saxon and Alladin unfortunately we were made redundant. They were a great company and fantastic pay cheques !! Unfortunately they went under when the oil price dropped / but there were roumers that the profits went back to the shipping ,as all the rigs were on fantastic rates.
Unfortunatey thee 3 rigs were laid up in Invergordon.

Bill Davies
12th September 2008, 21:48
RINGNES went to breakers in 2003
RISNES I believe is now WILSON MUUGA
ROLLNES in 2003 became N.Korean flag AMIR AHMAD
ROCKNES I believe is now WILSON MO

The three optional sisters for which the contracts were sold to Turnbull Scott who revised the design changing main engine and having gantry cranes on deck came out as SANDGATE, GREEN PARK and SOUTHGATE. I believe only 2 of this trio remain.

Many thanks your prompt reply.
I thought the Wilson Muuga went aground last year off Iceland and was a CTL.

BillH
12th September 2008, 22:02
Quite possible. It has been some 18 months or more since I did any updating of my Jebsen records. Book was published 2005 so now of a low priority for me as I collate current projects..

EBenarty
12th September 2008, 22:04
I sailed on their 3 drilling rigs for 10 years and was paid handsomely unfortunately the price of oil dropped dramatically and all three rigs Ali Baba. Sindbad Saxon and Aladdin were laid up in Invergodon and we were transferred to Jebsen Agency with no pension ,sick leave etc. and it ended up wih only 4 marine crew left on board myself included.
We were on the same wages and leave but got our P45 after each tour of dutie (2 weks) ,then we had to sign on the dole, which we did for 2 years. We told the girl at the brew we were on full wages but she said we had to on to keep our stamp updated It was an additional bonus every 2 weeks but wrong !!!
How many companies are still doing this ?

BillH
15th September 2008, 13:47
Many thanks your prompt reply.
I thought the Wilson Muuga went aground last year off Iceland and was a CTL.
Bill,

Have done some checking and WILSON MUUGA somewhere around June 2007 became KARIM under Cambodia flag.
Karim Shipping, Lebanon with Best Partner Ship Management Tripoli, Leb, managers.

She was inspected at Nantes on 27.8.2008 so still trading.

Sourced from Equasis website.

Bill

Pat Hughes
23rd October 2008, 13:41
Indeed they were fitted with Geislinger Couplings between engine and gearbox.
They were terrible to work on,they had laminated drive fingers that broke,also oil seals that leaked.
On later engines they fitted Vulcan couplings which were a bit better but due to extensive flexing the plies burst and although easier to renew took time to torque up due to rubber outer covering onto steel ferrules embedded in outer flange. Woe betide you if you tried to take a short cut to torque these couplings up.
Pielstick engines were German but all patents drawings etc were given to France in war raparations and they developed the higher power range,etc.
For shipowners they were lighter and therefore could carry more cargo in their ships but were a constant high maintenance engines totally unsuited to Jebbies long haul passages i.e. Freemantle to Antwerp with two days for crew change,Bunkers,Maintainance,give me a slow speed engine anytime.

Which ships are you referring to?

BillH
23rd October 2008, 17:46
Which ships are you referring to?
From my records the following had Pielsticks

1970's Nippon Kokan built "S" class 18PC2-2V-400 type

1970's Appledore built "R" class 9PC2-2L-400 type

1978 Lurrsen built "F" class 8PC2-2L-400 type

1970's Nippon Kokan built "F" class 12PC2-2V-400 type

1980's Miho Zosensho built "F" class 9PC2-5L-400 type

PACNORSE 1 drillship 12PA-6V-280 type

Jebsen Tauranga type 6PC4-2L-570 type

1985 built TORGNES 6PC2-3L-400 type.

The remainder of the fleet varied between, Sulzer, Wartsila, B&W, Werkspoor, Allen, Deutz, Normo and Polar

A Jebsen Group fleet history was published by the World Ship Society in 2005. ISBN 0-9543310-6-0. A4 hardback, 224 pages with full vessel details corrected to time of publishing illustrated with over 300 photographs and other images.

Moulder
3rd January 2009, 16:01
Anyone remember Jack Isbester? I seem to remember he joined the 'C' class as mate in the early 80's and heard he got promoted to Master.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Satanic Mechanic
26th February 2009, 07:53
Don't know if any of you know the lad but he is the father of a friend of mine.

Alistair (Al) Nimmo

If you do - just to let you know hes not well at all. Early stages of Auldtimers.

Anyway his son is trying to locate a Jebby's ship model for his dads room - any ideas

Pat Kennedy
26th February 2009, 08:21

Bill,
A photo of Clydenes outward bound in Eastham channel, taken in January.
is here; http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/160022/cat/500/ppuser/12939.

Regards,
Pat

Hillview
1st March 2009, 12:21
Don't know if any of you know the lad but he is the father of a friend of mine.

Alistair (Al) Nimmo

If you do - just to let you know hes not well at all. Early stages of Auldtimers.

Anyway his son is trying to locate a Jebby's ship model for his dads room - any ideas
I sailed with al nimmo many times on the M.V. Farnes and he was a very good engineer. I am very sorry to hear he has alzeimers.
You could try Jebsens in Norway about a model.There is a good photo of the Farnes on shipspotting.com

Satanic Mechanic
12th March 2009, 17:40
I sailed with al nimmo many times on the M.V. Farnes and he was a very good engineer. I am very sorry to hear he has alzeimers.
You could try Jebsens in Norway about a model.There is a good photo of the Farnes on shipspotting.com

It is a real shame, not good for anyone but some people it especially doesn't seem right. I'll get get a copy of the picture and try and look into a model - even if just on loan. All the best

Derek Clements
6th August 2009, 09:40
Moulder,

Poor old Jack had a bit of bad luck and hit a bit of Norway going into Aaheim on a R-boat. He Joined Eagle, Lyon & Pope consultancy after that. If you need to contact him just google the above and it should be plane sailing after that.

Just joined and nice to hear the old names and stories. Good times.

Anybody know where Dave Nisbett C/E went or is. He was 3 years with me on the Furunes (aaaarghhh).

Bill Davies
6th August 2009, 20:18
It was Jack who penned the well known article in the Nautical Institute magazine back in 75 'Does it shift or does'nt it'. Referring to his time on Bulk Carriers constantly arriving at the discharge port by the head.
His publication 'Bulk Carrier Practice' is well regarded.

Enri
10th July 2010, 07:55
Sailed with Jack Isbester on the Sealnes, back in 81/2, one of the good masters who actually told you where you were going as and when he found out, rather than get told about a couple of hours before you were due to sail, and then wonder why there were no lines on the charts.(knowledge is power),. he could touch type as well which I always found amazing.
Later sailed with him on an R boat (can't rememebr which one), but a good ships master. I heard he left jebsens not for the accident itself, but because he took the ship to dry dock on her tanktops. (probably not true, but thats the story I heard, but then again that was a long long time ago),.

clearway1
20th September 2010, 10:42
hi all sailed on original baynes 1970& and on binses as new did trials before and maide voyage1970-71 not long out of gravesend sea training school, baynes being my first ship was wandering if any of you sailed under tenax and if you can get crew lists and ports of call on line? I remember when we changed are money over from pounds shillings&pence to decimal on baynes great times,I hear that the original baynes had a marine accident not long after I sailed on her ,can anybody enlighten me about what happened to her.best regards clearway1

the troubadour
25th August 2011, 09:56
As a youngster left April 67 on the Bolnes from Bunbury under Capt Sandy Ritchie with a cargo of illminite for Immingham and bunkered in Porto Augusto in Sicily.
Took the Binsnes a few months later which was just out of dry dock in Rotterdam. Loaded a cargo of phosphate from Bayonne, France for Abijan, Ivory Coast via Dakar for bunkering and on to Kpeme in Togo to load fertiliser for Albany,WA.
The master was a Frenchman Tremare,or something similar.
Last Jebsen ship was Sharpnes in mid 74 out of Albany for Hamburg but the crankshaft went of the South African coast and we were towed into Cape Town where we experienced a very long stay. Again Sandie Ritchie was master but was replaced in SA.Not sure who it was that replaced Capt Ritchie, perhaps Edwards or Wilson? Funnel colours changed in CT from the blue to the grey.

Anyone remember any of these voyages.

Mick Spear
25th August 2011, 10:20
A friend of my father's was a Bosun with Jebsens. His name: Ronnie Poland from Penarth South Wales. I believe he was a well-respected seaman and seafarer by all that sailed with him. To my knowledge he is still alive and would be in his early 80s now. I once went out on his fishing boat called "wanderer" when i was about 12 years old.
Anybody remember Ronnie?
Mick S

D MCPHAIL
19th November 2011, 20:04
Hi Artie,

Just missed you then - went deep-sea on Spraynes at around that time. Your name does ring a bell though.

Cheers,

Steve.
(Thumb)

i sailed as gp1 on the bulkness,early 70,s,goosebay to stevenville pit props,remember the bulldog club in goosebay,bloody cold,paid off in copenhagen,

D MCPHAIL
19th November 2011, 20:07
i sailed as gp1 on the bulkness,on the goosebay-stevenville run,pitprops,does any one remmber the bulldog club in goosebay?

radiotech
19th November 2011, 22:29
Leknes 1970 3,000 ton ship; norway/europe/america ! Sparky thereon, have put bits on site about said vessel, but don't know where its 'hidden' now !

lakercapt
20th November 2011, 13:41
i sailed as gp1 on the bulkness,on the goosebay-stevenville run,pitprops,does any one remmber the bulldog club in goosebay?

I did that run too on "Bernes".
It was pulpwood for the paper plant (Labrador Liner Board)in Stevenville and we used to discharge it overboard straight into the water.
As they would only take the ship in and out in daylight we always got a night in Stevenville.
Does T & J bar ring a bell ???

kernowbhoy
22nd February 2012, 15:58
Anyone sail on the Sealnes 78,79,80. Was there as R/O, trying to remember names.
Tom

I was 3/E, Andy and had my wife Jan with me for a trip, continent to Thailand and then on to Houston to fly home. I remember alot of wifes on that trip. And fkd turbos too ! Very hard engine to work with, Pielstik V18 Ugh !
Can't remember many names now after all these years.
Andy Martin

dela
20th March 2012, 00:15
Sailed on the Sealnes, March to September 1980, not the best trip I had on an S boat, started badly, suitcase lost by BA, still waiting for it?, Gordon McCord was the chief and Charlie Campbell was the skipper, who I believe past away a few years ago,

regards
Frank Delahunty

John Adamson
20th March 2012, 17:16
Leknes 1970 3,000 ton ship; norway/europe/america ! Sparky thereon, have put bits on site about said vessel, but don't know where its 'hidden' now !

Joined the Leknes in 69 as 3rd. Mate. First ship I had been on with Bridge control. Ran most of the time between Norway and Immingham with Iron ore. Then went on to the Baynes running between Poland and Rouen with coal.

John

giles apsey
24th August 2012, 06:08
I am Jack Apsey's son Giles. Dad passed away in 2009. Sailed with him many times as a young boy and many stories to tell. I remember many of the crew members who treated me great and have fond memories. Heard some nice stories about dad but would like to hear more. Think I remember you Steve (Moulder). Funny story. Of coarse the officers ate in the officers mess and the crew in the crew mess. Could not understand as a young boy how the officers got served by a waiter and the crew had to get their own food. So I started bringing the crew their food. Dad pulled me into his cabin and said he would prefer me not doing that in which I explained these guys work hard. He hesitated as he was always a guy for the underdog and voted Labour but said he still would prefer me not to do that. I suppose these things dont change. But he instilled in me those values. Sure do miss him.

giles apsey
24th August 2012, 06:15
Jebsens Clydenes and Clarknes

you can find this on Facebook if anyone is interested

giles apsey
25th August 2012, 03:27
Steve I remember you, Jack Apsey's son Giles. Dad passed away in 2009 at the age of 79. Many good memories of sailing with him. I have added to the forum.Love to hear any stories.

Johnny Walker
26th August 2012, 11:49
Steve I remember you, Jack Apsey's son Giles. Dad passed away in 2009 at the age of 79. Many good memories of sailing with him. I have added to the forum.Love to hear any stories.

Looking at one of my old discharge books. I have noticed that I sailed with your father on the "Sharpness" I have very good memories of both the ship and your father. I am sorry to hear of his death. I joined the ship in Hamburg on the 11/8/74 as 2nd. cook and left her in Yokohama on the 23/4/75. I was with Jebsen's for about 3 years, on one of the voyages the captain had his son with him was that you on that voyage?

Moulder
28th August 2012, 14:18

Hi Giles - yes I remember you onboard the 'C' boats and I'm sad to hear your Dad passed away - he was brilliant skipper and a real gentleman. We would do anything for him.

Now I seem to remember taking you fishing on the Sheriffs little speedboat in Sterjnoy - he seemed to like staying onboard for our duration there. Don't think we caught anything - had more fun whizzing around the Fjords at a rate of knots. I also remember us making fast the boat alongside a jetty when we got back but hadn't taken into consideration any tide movement. A couple of hours later I looked out and saw a group of bemused Norwegians standing around a speed-boat dangling halfway up the piers of the jetty dripping into an ebbing tide. Whoops! [=P]

I also remember you blocking up the voice tube with paper pellets that you were trying to blow down into the radio room from the wheelhouse - remember that?

Good memories Giles it was a real pleasure to have sailed with you and Dad.

Kind Regards,

Steve. (Thumb)

giles apsey
1st September 2012, 03:19
Hi Giles - yes I remember you onboard the 'C' boats and I'm sad to hear your Dad passed away - he was brilliant skipper and a real gentleman. We would do anything for him.

Now I seem to remember taking you fishing on the Sheriffs little speedboat in Sterjnoy - he seemed to like staying onboard for our duration there. Don't think we caught anything - had more fun whizzing around the Fjords at a rate of knots. I also remember us making fast the boat alongside a jetty when we got back but hadn't taken into consideration any tide movement. A couple of hours later I looked out and saw a group of bemused Norwegians standing around a speed-boat dangling halfway up the piers of the jetty dripping into an ebbing tide. Whoops! [=P]

I also remember you blocking up the voice tube with paper pellets that you were trying to blow down into the radio room from the wheelhouse - remember that?

Good memories Giles it was a real pleasure to have sailed with you and Dad.

Kind Regards,

Steve. (Thumb)

Hi Steve

giles apsey
1st September 2012, 03:29
Hi Steve

Hi Steve,
I do remember fishing with you. It was the custom agents boat and his name was Olaf. We both (You and me)went out in the fjord. Big fishing reel on the boat with 10 hooks on. We pulled up a snapper with bulging eyes. Olaf gave me 100 Krona that trip.What are you up to these days Steve? Glad you enjoyed working with Dad.I could tell you some of the crew. Morrie Lloyd, Alan Farmer, Phillip Hibbert my brother in law, Kurt, Scottish third mate who played the guitar.Dave Platt first mate.Keep in touch Steve.
Giles Apsey.

giles apsey
1st September 2012, 03:33
Hi Steve,
I do remember fishing with you. It was the custom agents boat and his name was Olaf. We both (You and me)went out in the fjord. Big fishing reel on the boat with 10 hooks on. We pulled up a snapper with bulging eyes. Olaf gave me 100 Krona that trip.What are you up to these days Steve? Glad you enjoyed working with Dad.I could tell you some of the crew. Morrie Lloyd, Alan Farmer, Phillip Hibbert my brother in law, Kurt, Scottish third mate who played the guitar.Dave Platt first mate.Keep in touch Steve.
Giles Apsey.

I sort of do remember the paper pellets. I know Dad did not want Olaf taking me on that boat as he was so drunk that night.

giles apsey
5th September 2012, 03:26
Looking at one of my old discharge books. I have noticed that I sailed with your father on the "Sharpness" I have very good memories of both the ship and your father. I am sorry to hear of his death. I joined the ship in Hamburg on the 11/8/74 as 2nd. cook and left her in Yokohama on the 23/4/75. I was with Jebsen's for about 3 years, on one of the voyages the captain had his son with him was that you on that voyage?

Nice to hear that Johnny. Probably was my brother Simon that was on board then.
All the best Giles.

sandybay
22nd December 2012, 19:02
Up to the continent, to Antwerp and Rotterdam, around to Swansea, where I paid off, and immediately flew back down to Durban. I tried to rejoin the Furunes, but the company didn't want to know. As for the young lady, although she accepted my proposal, she later returned to the Uk, ( she was an expat), found and later married somebody else.
But it was the trip I will always remember. There were so many characters aboard her, and so many things that went wrong, people just wouldn't believe it if you told them.
Enri
I remember the Furunes very well, I joined the ship in Foynes on the River Shannon estuary 10th December 1976 as an E.D.H. with about six others from the Belfast pool. We met up with a new Chief Officer ( McClellan? not the other C/O in your post) and others at a Limerick hotel.
I was the only member of the deck crew who re-signed articles on 22nd February 1977 in Hamburg and paid off Durban 18th May 1977.
Remember most of the crew well as I was the only deck crew member who would work with the engine Dept. My nick name was " Ginge" from Northern Ireland. It may be 36 years ago but it seems like yesterday. After service on the Risnes I left the sea and joined the Fire Brigade in 1978.
One of my first nights on duty at Whitla Fire Station, Belfast, which overlooks the Pollock Dock was the Furunes, November 1978. Next morning after duty I paid a visit and had a final look round, did not know anyone. Three days later she was gone.

lakercapt
23rd December 2012, 17:29
[QUOTE=Enri;240244] During an explanation by the mate to the 3/O and myself on how we were to load it, the Master, Capt Davies turned to the mate and said no not that way, and when the mate protested, the Master told him it was his ship and that the mates relief was landing in Durban as they were speaking, then promptly sacked him.

When the ship got to the continent that Master was terminated!!!!!!
The mate sacked was promoted master and sailed with Jebsens for years until immigrating to Canada

Glad you enjoyed your time on that unfortune vessel Gary

k.atkinson
18th March 2013, 19:51
Sealnes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom
17/7/79 Antwerp via Bankok to 18/1/80 Pusan
Ken Atkinson 2/E

k.atkinson
22nd March 2013, 10:35
I was 3/E, Andy and had my wife Jan with me for a trip, continent to Thailand and then on to Houston to fly home. I remember alot of wifes on that trip. And fkd turbos too ! Very hard engine to work with, Pielstik V18 Ugh !
Can't remember many names now after all these years.
Andy Martin

It was an interesting trip & I was 2/E Ken with wife Dorothy. A lot of wives including one who changed partners but any friction was lost with the number of Thai wives and the resentment from the legal ones about occupied seats in the bar. Huggy Bear in the galley shut down as the Poop Deck Cafe run by a girl who thought her Father had been a visiting Scot offered better food. Huggy Bear, although persistently warned about the dangers of a water hose & electricity, used to set off the earth fault alarm at 06.00 until his practice caught up with him when the isolator cover hit him in the throat. 17/7/79 Antwerp to 18/1/80 Pusan dry dock. The C/E was Gordon McCoard except for Ron/Ray White 1/9/79 to 5/12/79. Stbd. turbo-rotor had enough half-way across Pacific so we were met by unasked for makers man & new rotor at canal. As it was flat calm at anchor makers man fed the fish while we repaired turbo. The Office in its lack of wisdom had recently paired a first trip 1st Mate & Master together with the result was that the Master was trying to do both jobs & the 1st Mate had not developed the experience & confidence to express independence. This culminated about a week out from Panama. The Master had been influenced by something and visited the Bridge where “poison dwarf” the 3/o suggested he went away. He accepted this suggestion and fell down the stairs instead making a mess of his visage. Instead of consulting our experienced Chief the 1st Mate asked advice from the Chief Steward with the result that a telegram was sent to the Office informing them that the “Master has suffered serious head injuries.” Neither felt able to treat the casualty so an AB, who was a former fire-fighter, stitched him up as taken individually each cut was a minor injury. While the Office looked at options of diverting passenger ships or involving the US Navy they sent a Super to accompany our rotor. Under questioning by the Super and later the Office I pleaded ignorance of events as I was studying with headphones on. The Eng. Dept. Survived intact the wave of dismissals which followed and while “they” suspected we knew more than we were saying we had remained an efficient unit. Within the year Dorothy & I were apart after 10 years & within 5 she, being older, was dead. My application to studying with headphones was sufficient for Naval Arch. Resit to pass & Class 1 obtained. I returned to Sealnes 13/7/83 in Hamburg till 27/11/83 Chittagong where I left what was now the Jordanian flagged Hitteen into a civil insurrection. With flip officers, crew & a shrinking fleet I too came ashore as a surveyor. All these events was it just one trip? Or a distillation of my career? It is just as well there is no diary and few names or was it all allegedly a bad dream?

tyrol
13th June 2013, 21:58
It was an interesting trip & I was 2/E Ken with wife Dorothy. A lot of wives including one who changed partners but any friction was lost with the number of Thai wives and the resentment from the legal ones about occupied seats in the bar. Huggy Bear in the galley shut down as the Poop Deck Cafe run by a girl who thought her Father had been a visiting Scot offered better food. Huggy Bear, although persistently warned about the dangers of a water hose & electricity, used to set off the earth fault alarm at 06.00 until his practice caught up with him when the isolator cover hit him in the throat. 17/7/79 Antwerp to 18/1/80 Pusan dry dock. The C/E was Gordon McCoard except for Ron/Ray White 1/9/79 to 5/12/79. Stbd. turbo-rotor had enough half-way across Pacific so we were met by unasked for makers man & new rotor at canal. As it was flat calm at anchor makers man fed the fish while we repaired turbo. The Office in its lack of wisdom had recently paired a first trip 1st Mate & Master together with the result was that the Master was trying to do both jobs & the 1st Mate had not developed the experience & confidence to express independence. This culminated about a week out from Panama. The Master had been influenced by something and visited the Bridge where “poison dwarf” the 3/o suggested he went away. He accepted this suggestion and fell down the stairs instead making a mess of his visage. Instead of consulting our experienced Chief the 1st Mate asked advice from the Chief Steward with the result that a telegram was sent to the Office informing them that the “Master has suffered serious head injuries.” Neither felt able to treat the casualty so an AB, who was a former fire-fighter, stitched him up as taken individually each cut was a minor injury. While the Office looked at options of diverting passenger ships or involving the US Navy they sent a Super to accompany our rotor. Under questioning by the Super and later the Office I pleaded ignorance of events as I was studying with headphones on. The Eng. Dept. Survived intact the wave of dismissals which followed and while “they” suspected we knew more than we were saying we had remained an efficient unit. Within the year Dorothy & I were apart after 10 years & within 5 she, being older, was dead. My application to studying with headphones was sufficient for Naval Arch. Resit to pass & Class 1 obtained. I returned to Sealnes 13/7/83 in Hamburg till 27/11/83 Chittagong where I left what was now the Jordanian flagged Hitteen into a civil insurrection. With flip officers, crew & a shrinking fleet I too came ashore as a surveyor. All these events was it just one trip? Or a distillation of my career? It is just as well there is no diary and few names or was it all allegedly a bad dream?

Well Ken and Andy, what a memory from all those years ago, I certainly remember all of you and sri to hear abt Dorothy. I was the Radio Officer Tom Frawley and my wife Annette (blonde hair) sailed with me on the Sealnes for two years. Andy I have a photo of you and Jan as we had a party out the poop deck with Capt Malcolm, rem he fell down the stairwell from the bridge as Ken says. the Ab Terry Welch stitched him up as we held him down. The doc in port aferwards complemented Terry on his stitching, Terry said he learned it from repairing sails and canvas. The 3/O on the bridge was Ritche, he unfortunately has passed away since, I kept in contact after I left the Sealnes. Alex, Ritches wife, was with him that trip.Yes there was a lot of wives that trip, we had such fun with all the parties they organised and I got bacon butty sarnies for my elevens in the radio room! Oh, the Thai girl who had the shop on the poop deck was Sophie, she had a Scots father and she used to take the wives ashore sightseeing as we worked shipside. Good to hear you Andy and Ken. From Tom

kernowbhoy
14th June 2013, 10:18
Hi, Tom.
Last thing I expected was to hear from anyone in Jebsens !
I'm still at sea in what will be my last job till I retire. Working for Marine Scotland on a fisheries patrol boat, 3wks on/off.
Still live in Cornwall with Jan.
Jebsens is just a nightmare with a few good memories for me after sailing with a lot of good companies since those days. Ferries, banana boats, fast cats, cruise liners and even a year with the sail training association on a square rigger !
Jan remembers all the trips she did with me !
Ken must have been on a different trip as I don't remember that particular one as being difficult !
All the Best,
Andy Martin.

tyrol
14th June 2013, 12:20
Good to hear from you Andy and regards to Jan, Annette and Jan took many trips ashore while we worked. Still at sea? wow that is brilliant, I often regret leaving. I went ashore in 81 and became an electronics technical office in a college institute and Annette went back to primary school teaching. Both of us in education, and still working. Okay on Ken and Dorothy, you must have missed that particular trip. Take care Andy and good luck with Marine Scotland. Tom