USNS Saturn

Bob S
15th September 2004, 16:34
Photographed at the Norfolk Navy Yard in Virginia, USA on the 26th May 2002, the “Sirius” class Combat Stores Ship USNS SATURN (T-AFS10) will be better known as the British “Lyness” class support vessel RFA STROMNESS (A344).

TeeCee
31st July 2006, 22:31
Interesting photo of USNS Saturn, I saw one of the class in Souda Bay, Crete on May 13th 2000 but was unable to identify it. No hull number visible. She was in company with USNS Kanawha [T-AO 196] and USNS Mount Baker [T-AE 34] Can anyone tell me which ship of the class was on deployment in the Med at this time?

Is it possible that it was Saturn thirteen days before the photo was taken?

Bob S
1st August 2006, 19:26
Interesting photo of USNS Saturn, I saw one of the class in Souda Bay, Crete on May 13th 2000 but was unable to identify it. No hull number visible. She was in company with USNS Kanawha [T-AO 196] and USNS Mount Baker [T-AE 34] Can anyone tell me which ship of the class was on deployment in the Med at this time?

Is it possible that it was Saturn thirteen days before the photo was taken?

Hi TeeCee,

Both Kanawha & Mount Baker were in Norfolk along with the Saturn so it could be the same ship, I believe the other two of the class are based at different naval bases in the US.
By the way, my photo was taken in 2002 so you saw it 2 years & 13 days earlier.

Bob

TeeCee
2nd August 2006, 23:12
Thanks Bob, says he with a red face, you're right of course, I am two years out. I have just been looking at photos of the three ships in the class and I see that Saturns' hull number is much whiter than the other two. Whichever ship it was the number on the bow was in such effective low visibility paint that from across the bay, it was invisible.