King Alexander

Bob S
15th September 2004, 17:37
Clan Lineís KING ALEXANDER (52/5883) seen in the Royal Docks in London in the late 1960ís.

tanker
16th September 2004, 14:59
Good view of this Harland & Wolff build ,the other sisters were KING ARTHUR-
KING MALCOLM-KING CHARLES and KING GEORGE.
bye!!

colin.lyons2
6th November 2007, 00:51
i sailed from manchester on her dec 1965 charted to strick line persian gulf ports then chitagong ,chalna east pakistan then trincomalee,colombo,ceylon and back home via aden and suez again paid off in tilbury during the strike june 1966

graham
6th November 2007, 22:58
was 12 months in her 1953 2nd trip from new photos in gallery
regards graham

Brian Dobbie
7th November 2007, 10:34
Not so sure the George was a sister to Alexander.
George was maybe built 1957? Alexander 1953?

Brian

R58484956
7th November 2007, 14:51
Alexander built H&W 1953.

graham
7th November 2007, 18:16
alexander built 1952 i was in her for her 2nd trip april 1953 to 1954 regards graham

R58484956
8th November 2007, 16:12
Stand to be corrected. Lloyds gave me duff info.

Fred Field
25th March 2013, 13:16
I was on her, J/E June '67 to Feb '68.
We left Manchester June '67, in ballast, wound up in Houston, Texas loading free grain for India. One generator down to the bed-plate crank out for re-grinding ashore, we were only 'in' 1.5 days then off to Madras, bunkered offshore Durban. Waited offshore Madras for 2 days. Should I remember correctly I think it was 62 days Manchester to Madras. Paid one donkeyman off into the Penlee lifeboat on the way, perforated ulcer. He went over the rails from near one of the E/R doors and landed very close to the rocker gear.
After Madras it was Calcutta, with 2 weeks waiting off Sand Heads. Then 6 weeks in Calcutta watching other Clan boats take cargo marked for us. Then it was back to the UK (Tilbury), again bunkered offshore Durban, at 10 ton/day and 10 knots took 6 weeks.
The above photograph could have been taken at that time.
Nellie Wallace was O/M and Gordon McCoarde? was Chief.

alan ward
30th March 2013, 18:41
An old Clan Line PCO Alec Bannerman told of how when B&C took control of the King Line one of their Catering Superintendents went down to show the PCO of one of them what paperwork was required of him under the new regime as well as the Victualling Book,came the Slop Chest account and the Inventory,the this the that and the other.When the ship returned after a five month trip he revisited the ship and asked where the books were`Where you left them at the end of my day bed`was the answer.

Fred Field
30th March 2013, 19:12
An old Clan Line PCO Alec Bannerman told of how when B&C took control of the King Line one of their Catering Superintendents went down to show the PCO of one of them what paperwork was required of him under the new regime as well as the Victualling Book,came the Slop Chest account and the Inventory,the this the that and the other.When the ship returned after a five month trip he revisited the ship and asked where the books were`Where you left them at the end of my day bed`was the answer.

Love it!
The one trip I did on the Alexander we had an old Irish 'professional third' Jack Doey he had been with King Line when they were taken over and had served his time with H&W and actually claimed to have sailed as Second with a 'dispensation' on some trips. He claimed it was not unusual, in the days of King Line, for the Second to be paid more than the Chief because the Chief was a 'company man' and they had great difficulty in getting guys to sail as Second. How true it all was I do not know.

alan ward
30th March 2013, 21:35
There were some wonderful characters back in the time when one was allowed to be a character,my Dad had a friend dating from his days at Trinity House who I only met once.His name was Henry and he became Master with,I think Chapmans,during virtually his whole time at sea he didn`t go ashore,he didn`t like it!
Did you ever meet Jimmy Harper?another old gay Purser with Clan.I was coasting with him and as the crew lined up for their sub somewher in the Royal group he said to one of the crowd`£3 Aslet Khan,Aslet Khan if I had a face like yours I`d up Piccadilly making a fortune`the asian crowd absolutely loved him,he was too infirm to go deep sea and just coasted but he was a lovely,humane man.For every horrible ignorant racist I met there were many others too many to mention who truly bonded with foreign crews.I sailed with Zulus from Pinetown for three voyages and they were the dogs ********,I have tried to tell my missus what it was like when they sang,you could actually feel your diaphragm contract with the power of their voices it was almost like being punched.Mind you they liked sh****ng,drinking and fighting.On the Sutherland,in Port Louis,they rioted between themselves in the Snow White Bar(apt eh?)and trashed the place and one of the only two Xhosa on board.I was sent to visit him in hospital and he was just cut to ribbons.Stitched all over face and body,apparantly he`d stood ona table and shouted something like`All Zulus who can`t tape dance are queer`or something equally provocative and it all kicked off.Middlesbrough on the Ranald they set too fighting again this time between hemselves over whose turn it was with the women who had come on board,I was given the task of sitting with these two whilst it all calmed down`I`ve had a lovely time`said one`I`ve had the bosun Ernie,the ERS and a couple of the lads off deck`she was engaged to a Second Cook on one of Hain Nourses,lucky boy eh?

Fred Field
31st March 2013, 01:23
I believe Jimmy Harper was PCO on the MacIver when I first joined her and we went round the UK coast before going ‘deep-sea’.
The Zulus were hard working and very loyal, but leave them to sort out their own problems. Two incidents stick in my mind; the first was Boxing Day, Capetown, and my first trip on the Ranald. We had got in Christmas Eve afternoon and were leaving to go round the SA coast to Durban (PE and E. London on the way). I do not think there was a soul on board who did not have some sort of hang-over. One of the Zulus back aft pulled a knife on the second mate Lt David Brunskill RNR (excuse the spelling). The Zulu bos’uns mate flattened him with a piece of dunnage right in the middle of his back. According to ‘numbskull’ he went down as though he had been pole-axed. Anyway back alongside with the ‘knitting’ all nicely tied and the Yarpy police show up put the Zulu on a stretcher and handcuff him to it before removing him from the vessel, we never saw him again.
The second one was up in Gothenburg, where the Zulus were looking forward to showing the local lovlies what the Zulu warrior was made of until about 04.05am when my phone went (3/E duty engineer) ‘twas the Zulu donkeyman who had just gone on watch.I cannot remember exactly what he said but it was some something like ‘There’s oil coming from everywhere boss.’. I get to the engine room and lo and behold he is right there is oil slowly flowing over the lips of all the lower level oil ‘drip-trays’ onto the tank-top and into the bilges. The donkeyman who had just gone off watch had started the M/E fuel oil surcharge pump to top up the boiler oil tank and had just cancelled every alarm that had happened thereafter without stopping the pump. I reckoned there was about 20 tons of heavy oil on the tank top or in the bilges. Did all the right things, I think. Come 8.00 most of the oil is back where it is supposed to be except what is clinging to the tank-top and bilges,when the rest of the Zulus turned to looking forward to an easy morning and the afternoon off. The Zulu storekeeper’s face ‘fell a mile’ when he found out what they actually had in store. The offender was dragged, quite literally I believe, out of his bed to the control room where I ‘tore a strip off him’. The ERS stood behind him with the knuckle of his forefinger against his head and oscillating his hand.
C/E and 2/E were informed as was OM, donkeyman disrated, greaser promoted. Job done except for poor bloody Zulus under the plates and in the bilges.
Following day I saw the offender, you could not say he had 2 black eyes, but they were puffy, as were his lips and ears. I asked the ERS what had happened to him ‘Fell down the steps boss.’ “How many bloody times?” No verbal answer, just a grin.
As for the Zulus singing, I never heard them.
By the way I did not think Miss Mitchell’s feeding was that bad, although it was not ‘good’. Also he/she had his/her own souvenirs from Gothenburg which no one else was interested in.
The ER Zulus did eventually ‘get ashore’ where, I do not doubt, they acquitted themselves satisfactorily and in the true traditions of their tribe.

alan ward
31st March 2013, 11:01
What souvenirs did Peter pick up in Gothenburg?He had a friend called George who was the OM of a Greek boat and whenever they met up on the SA coast,and as the usual ports were so close together they often,did he disappeared.He relaxed on my second trip with him and I quite got to like him,he was a complex character and also capable of violence he once levelled the Catering Boy Winston for some minor misdemeanour a quite unecessary act and one I was ashamed to witness.I wonder if he`s still alive?he was in his early 40`s when I sailed with him in 1970 so mids 80`s now I still remember his address in Hammersmith can`t think why things like that stick.I recall Dave but can`t think from which boat,we spent so much time working by and coasting with changing crews.Once whilst standing by on the Sutherland in the Royal group,I attended,in a working capacity,4 different company luncheon/dinners in a week on different Clan boats.Once they twigged I could also work as a sommelier having worked on private yachts that was my fate sealed.They sent me up and down the river from Tilbury to Limehouse like a tug boat!
I loved Clan Line and wish I`d behaved a little more responsibly,after 5 trips as an AP my last PCO Alan Moreton told the company I was Ok to go solo but because I`d misbehaved so badly,generally behaving like a ***** I was told I had to ship out again as an assistant.Sugar Line offerred me a solo job for less money than I was earning with Clan so I left,what a knob!

oldseamerchant
31st March 2013, 11:10
I loved Clan Line and wish I`d behaved a little more responsibly,after 5 trips as an AP my last PCO Alan Moreton told the company I was Ok to go solo but because I`d misbehaved so badly,generally behaving like a ***** I was told I had to ship out again as an assistant.Sugar Line offerred me a solo job for less money than I was earning with Clan so I left,what a knob!

I think you are being hard on yourself. We all make mistakes in our career path. You had ambition and there is nothing wrong with that! Better than spending your life thinking 'what could have been'.

Fred Field
31st March 2013, 12:58
What souvenirs did Peter pick up in Gothenburg?

Just magazines that reflected his orientation. I never quite made up my mind why he showed them to us. Was s/he just trying to be one of the crowd or was s/he subtly try to see if anyone showed any interest?

alan ward
31st March 2013, 14:12
Fred that is so seedy.I was once in Gothenburg and went ashore with our Lecky Tommy Tierney a great,ex-army,red haired Glaswegian.Calling in at a private shop as they are now known Tommy looking around at this panoply of vile,obvious,hilarious stuff asked the owner,tongue in cheek,`Have you got anything under the counter`looking round the chap sold Tom a couple of sealed magazines.Sitting in the bar back on board Tom opened the magazines went red and threw them out of the porthole into the water!he wouldn`t tell us what was in them.

Fred Field
31st March 2013, 15:57
Fred that is so seedy.

Perhaps, but you did ask.(Pint)

alan ward
1st April 2013, 11:16
Yeah,suppose so,you if you don`t ask you don`t get.Peter joined Panocean under the delusion that the most senior man on board was going to be the`ship manager`and he was most qualified to be such that it would be him.How he managed as Second Officer(services)I would love to have seen.Like a lot of us we didn`t know when we were well off.

Fred Field
1st April 2013, 11:24
Yeah,suppose so,you if you don`t ask you don`t get.

Agreed, but it was so 'out of character' for him.
I know I was not the only one who wondered why.
As for the 'Second Officer' bit, a severe case of battered ego I would think.

alan ward
1st April 2013, 13:08
Absolutely,he always kept very much to himself.Never in the two voyages did he come to the bar for a drink.To be fair he was trying to keep his weight down and didn`t drink much anyway,on a more positive note He was universally known as a humane man and,if you were ill, he went out of his way and duty to ensure that you were cared for in the most positive way.Some of his remarks have stuck with me over the years`Once you have purchased in Bond Street everything else is just shopping`and on overhearing a remark from the Mates Office next door that someone had no relations at all he called back`Not even sexual relations the poor cow`.
Thinking of caring for people injured or sick reminded me of a drunken weekend in Capetown when on a rainy,dark sunday evening on their way back to the ship Dave Livesey the Electrician fell into a nearby drydock.Funny how things suddenly spring to mind,that was 44 years ago.

Fred Field
1st April 2013, 13:23
[QUOTE=Dave Livesey the Electrician[/QUOTE]

Remember him well.
Somewhere I believe I have a picture(s) of him, perhaps on St. Helena, the day we, almost all, went to visit where 'Boney' lived, and later his tomb.

alan ward
1st April 2013, 14:45
Remember him well.
Somewhere I believe I have a picture(s) of him, perhaps on St. Helena, the day we, almost all, went to visit where 'Boney' lived, and later his tomb.
On my visit there we went to the villa and I was surprised at how small it was,and when shown the bed in which he died it brought home how far he had fallen.I suppose he was lucky not to be have been executed but what a place to end your life.We had a great night out in the town,the bar walls were lined with the cases of beer,consumable insulation?,that we had just discharged.Did you get to Ascension?Last night I was talking to some customers of mine who live in Dampier House which is the biggest house in Dampier Street here and I was reminded of Dampiers Drip the only source of fresh water on the island.I loved that bay where the ships used to careen with all the names chiselled into the nearby rocks,the small graveyard with all those famous ships names and gully filled with the bottles thrown away by the seamen.I wish I`d souvenired a couple they`d look great on a bookcase.Great,unusual places to visit.

alan ward
1st April 2013, 14:49
I think you are being hard on yourself. We all make mistakes in our career path. You had ambition and there is nothing wrong with that! Better than spending your life thinking 'what could have been'.

Thanks OSM,very kind of you.The other day I was reading Robert Frosts poem,The Road not Taken,and thinking that in reality there is little I would change.I learned a lot of lessons on that trip,maybe the most important one being that I wasn`t good as perhaps I thought I was and I carried that forward with me and my final 4 years with Whitco were richer for that.

Fred Field
2nd April 2013, 10:20
Did you get to Ascension?.

Yes, we spent about a week there. Whilst we were there one of the 'mini mails' called I forget which one.
Whilst we were there we attended a wedding. The girl's dress was part of our cargo. It was the first wedding on the island for about 100 years, I think. My sister and I came across a newspaper clipping about it when we were clearing out Mum and Dad's house after Dad died in 2010.
Incidentally, we only left the J/2/E (Big Ronnie Bell) and the 2/O (David Brunskill?) plus a very few Zulus on board and Alex Mair's parting comment, yelled from the lifeboat as we were heading shore-wards, was 'If it gets up rough take her out'.(Pint)

alan ward
3rd April 2013, 13:09
Alec was a boy and a half,always greeted one with namaste,and that sampan on the boat deck,if I remember rightly we put it down in Port Louis for him.He was such a kind well meaning man,on my first trip with him myself,two cadets and a junior engineer were requested to meet him in his cabin.We were then treated to a long,involved lecture on the perils and dangers of seafaring.Not to swim where we couldn`t see the bottom for fear of shark,always wear pumps when near a coral reef and keep your d**k in your trousers when ashore.I was so insulted,he patently hadn`t seen my Discharge book.I`d been going away 4 years by then and had been pi**ed in every port I`d visited from Antwerp to Apapa and Lisbon to La Guaira,pulled in Vigo and Venezuala and lived to tell the tale,I was an Old Salt of well,nearly,21! I realise now that most APCO`s were straight from college or kitchen and knew nothing he was a lovely old boy and I miss men like him.Been through the war,shipwreck and repatriation he had seen far more than we ever will.RIP Alec Mair

Fred Field
3rd April 2013, 13:25
Alan Ward.
I had always called him Alec but in another thread his nephew called him Alex - whatever!
I certainly remember him with a fair degree of affection.
It would appear that his 'lecture to the young innocents' was 'normal procedure', he did it to the deck and engine cadets when I was on the Ranald and the same night... well that is best left unsaid in this forum.

alan ward
3rd April 2013, 15:08
I have just only now noticed your Canadian flag avatar and taking a quick look at your profile see where you are.We have a boy(boy,he`s 40 now) living in Vancouver,another lives in NZ but is moving to Melbourne this august.There`s always one generation of our family off somewhere.Was it the Bowater connection that saw you settled over there?

Fred Field
3rd April 2013, 15:32
I have just only now noticed your Canadian flag avatar and taking a quick look at your profile see where you are.We have a boy(boy,he`s 40 now) living in Vancouver,another lives in NZ but is moving to Melbourne this august.There`s always one generation of our family off somewhere.Was it the Bowater connection that saw you settled over there?

Yup. As I said in another thread I survived my first encounter with the Bowaters Marriage Bureau but not the second.

I can see 'the mill' in Corner Brook from most rooms in the house although it is no longer, and has not been for some considerable time, Bowaters.

Corner Brook gets a few cattleboats (AKA cruise ships) in in the later part of the summer and they pass the bottom of the 'garden'. See below. One of Holland America's "Going In" and "Coming Out", must have been a re-positioning job that early in the year.

alan ward
4th April 2013, 12:05
Do you have a boat,fish or hunt? I`ve googled it and it looks wonderful.I always enjoyed Quebec and would have quite happily settled there but as with all these things,why? If you found someone and were happy to change lifestyle for them I appreciate that,our eldest boy married a girl from BC but to go it alone is another matter.Our youngest,the one in Auckland,did just that and I worry about him as he has no-one to go home to.

Fred Field
4th April 2013, 12:29
Do you have a boat,fish or hunt? I`ve googled it and it looks wonderful.I always enjoyed Quebec and would have quite happily settled there but as with all these things,why? If you found someone and were happy to change lifestyle for them I appreciate that,our eldest boy married a girl from BC but to go it alone is another matter.Our youngest,the one in Auckland,did just that and I worry about him as he has no-one to go home to.

I do not have a boat, (saw enough of them whilst I was working) very rarely fish, but do like it 'up in the woods' chasing big furry animals about. Proper R&R as far as I am concerned.

We lived in Quebec (Montreal) twice 1976-77 and 2002-05, not bad but the politics are 'iffy' and the taxes horrific.

alan ward
4th April 2013, 14:57
I saw the moose/elk hunting outfitters adverts whilst looking at the Humber Arm area on line,strangely enough my family come from and some still live on the Humber(UK)in a village called North Ferriby.The other day I saw a potato crisp retailers van outside the pub and asked where they were from as I didn`t recognise the name`South Ferriby`came the answer,small world eh?
Wht makes the politics`iffy`is it the French separatists and why are the taxes higher than the other provinces.

Fred Field
4th April 2013, 16:53
I saw the moose/elk hunting outfitters adverts whilst looking at the Humber Arm area on line,strangely enough my family come from and some still live on the Humber(UK)in a village called North Ferriby.The other day I saw a potato crisp retailers van outside the pub and asked where they were from as I didn`t recognise the name`South Ferriby`came the answer,small world eh?
Wht makes the politics`iffy`is it the French separatists and why are the taxes higher than the other provinces.

There are no elk in Newfoundland that I am aware of. Whilst they are both of the 'deer' family, and both are large, the elk has a head that, in profile, more resembles a typical deer, ie triangular, the head of a moose is, for want of a better description, more like a horse, ie long.
That is the North American version. in Sweden they are the same (moose).
The politics in Quebec are 'iffy', and this is just my personal opinion, because of the separatist issue. Anglo's are very much a second class citizens. They even have 'language police' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois_de_la_langue_fran%C3%A7 aise). One of their more publicized efforts was to get golfers to shout something in French other than 'Fore'!!
Taxes are high to support the Provincial need to just be different. In all other Provinces and Territories Provincial/Territorial Income tax is administered by Revenue Canada who then pass onto the Province whatever is due to them according to their own (provincial income tax structure). Whilst in Quebec they have their own Income Tax Department, which likely at least doubles the cost of running Income tax collection. The other Provinces and Territories use the Canada Pension Plan, a bit like National Insurance in the UK, not in Quebec, they have their own, and of course the cost of running it is not cheap. When we moved back to Montreal in 2002 we were surprised to discover that in our absence the City had introduced what was known as a 'welcome tax'. How it worked was if you bought a house you had to pay this tax, which equated to almost the same as a years property taxes (Council Taxes to you). Whilst we were there a well publicized case involve an elderly woman, recently widowed. She had lived in the same house with her husband for over 30 years, he died, and setting her affairs in order, she re-registered her home in her name only, previously it had been joint, she got dinged with this tax.
All this of course adds to the higher cost of living as does a high rate of Provincial Sales tax.

Hamish Mackintosh
4th April 2013, 18:49
Quebec is a great province to be "From"

Fred Field
4th April 2013, 19:29
Quebec is a great province to be "From"

Unless you have friends an/or relatives in the "National" Assembly. Then you should be OK.
I do not know if it still hold true but at one time the premier of Quebec was paid more than the Prime Minister of Canada!

Chris Isaac
4th April 2013, 19:39
Are we going to get back to King Alexander at any time soon?

TOM ALEXANDER
5th April 2013, 08:11
Are we going to get back to King Alexander at any time soon?

Not a "King" - closest I can come to that is that it was my Grandma's surname -- but I can offer the presence here of at least one "Alexander". OK --- now back to the ship!! (Wave)

alan ward
5th April 2013, 10:20
Sorry Chris,just chatting.

alan ward
5th April 2013, 10:20
and of course my wifes grandfather Alexander Allardyce Printer on Donaldsons Athenia.