Hardwicke Grange = 1961 - 1975

Bob S
15th September 2004, 16:45
Houlder Brother’s HARDWICKE GRANGE (61/10338) seen at her berth in the Victoria Dock, London on the 27th July 1969.

tanker
16th September 2004, 14:14
This Hawthorn -Leslie built had a sister ROYSTON GRANGE differed from
H GRANGE for larger supestructure (extended)

david smith
16th September 2004, 15:36
Another pic of the Hardwicke Grange with Shaw Savill funnel colours seen at Timaru N.Z.

Ship served as Cadet training ship for SSA. Photo courtesy Eric Smith.

tanker
16th September 2004, 15:56
Very good another pic of this old C/P ships !!!!

Bankliner
23rd July 2005, 22:19
This was the sister ship to the Ill Fated Royston Grange which was involved in a collision in the River plate in the 70's with the loss of all hands.

fred henderson
23rd July 2005, 23:56
Delivered by Hawthorn Leslie in 1960 when I worked at their Hebburn yard. She looks good in the photo. As a shipbuilder it is always nice to work for owners who look after their ships.

Fred

gadgee
29th July 2005, 11:24
Just posted pic of wreck of Royston Grange at Montevideo. I took it on 9 Jan 1973.
Cheers
Paul

This was the sister ship to the Ill Fated Royston Grange which was involved in a collision in the River plate in the 70's with the loss of all hands.

norsea
10th October 2005, 22:08
Sailed in "Hardwicke Grange" as 3rd & 2nd Mate under Capt`s R. Faulkner
and T A G Head, July 63 to Jan 65 and Nov 68 to May 70 . Regular chilled meat trade River Plate to Z Shed, Victoria Dock, London, back in the days
when seafaring was a pleasure as well as a career.

ruud
10th October 2005, 23:23
This was the sister ship to the Ill Fated Royston Grange which was involved in a collision in the River plate in the 70's with the loss of all hands.Ahoy,
The collision with the Chinese Tien Chee was at Canal Punto Indio on 11-05-1972; The Royston Grange was loaded with cereals,butter and refrigerated meat.
http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/9667/roystongrangenewspaper2hx.th.jpg (http://img435.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roystongrangenewspaper2hx.jpg)

norsea
18th October 2005, 15:25
Correction to Ruud 10th Oct.Royston Grange could not carry "P15" as she was sister to Hardwicke Grange,carrying chilled meat.I lost many good friends and shipmates in
that collision with Tien Chee

ruud
18th October 2005, 16:34
Ahoy Norsea,

Thanks for that correction, I wrote it because I had it from a South American newspaper, but now I've read some English, her cargo was cereals,butter an refrigerated meat, while the Chinese had oil on board.
Will change it immediately.

Ian Norman
19th October 2005, 11:36
and T A G Head, July 63 to Jan 65 and Nov 68 to May 70 . Regular chilled meat trade River Plate to Z Shed, Victoria Dock, London, back in the days
Dear Norsea,
I think we may have sailed together ? I was on the Hardwicke Grange at the same sort of time as a deck apprentice with Capt. Head in command ( a hard man, but one who I came to know as a great friend in the future ).
Kindest regards
Ian Norman ( Now retired ) e-mail: **********

davej
19th October 2005, 15:55
Hi Gadgee, I have been trying to locate the picture of the Royston Grange that you have posted. So far I have not been able to do so. I suspect I am probably doing something wrong and I would be most grateful if you can advise me as to how I can view the picture. Having sailed with Houlder Brothers in the 60s I have fond memories of both the Hardwicke & the Royston Grange. I can still remember the shock at hearing of the disaster in which the Royston Grange was involved. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this request.
Regards.

Davej.

Just posted pic of wreck of Royston Grange at Montevideo. I took it on 9 Jan 1973.
Cheers
Paul

Aristo
20th October 2005, 16:14
follow this link:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3968/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

davej
21st October 2005, 09:11
Aristo, thank you for your assistance with locating the picture of the royston grange. It is a sad picture that will always be shocking to view no matter how many times you veiw it. I am grateful for your assistance in locating the picture. It seems to me that this site has an abundance of members who are always happy to assist anyone who is searching for information of any form. Thank you again.

Regards,

Davej.

non descript
21st November 2005, 09:54

Norsea,
Your closing words are both wise and very accurate. - I joined the "Royston Grange" on 31/12/65 under command of TAG Head - a tough man who had come up the hard way (through the hawse pipe) and not unreasonably felt all people should take the same route. I was set down to rejoin her in April 1972 but chose instead to join the "Cavendish" as there was more chance of promotion in the LPG side in those days. When I left the "Royston Grange" in 1966 I joined "Oregis" and my first voyage on her was Workington to Murmansk ... a case of Chalk & Cheese when viewed against Z Shed to Boca South.

norsea
30th November 2005, 23:36
Oregis was converted to a diving support vessel in 74 and renamed Coupler 1 with a complete saturation diving unit supplied by Comex. In 76 the name Oregis was reinstated under Houlder Offshore Ltd with an office in Dyce, Aberdeen. On board ranks were changed to BargeMaster,Ass`t B Ms, roughnecks & roustabouts as per rig ratings. I continued serving in Oregis until September 78 when ill health forced my retirement. Hope some of this may be of interest.
Regards Norsea

unsteadyken
24th December 2005, 20:05
Hi norsea, we must have sailed together, i did one trip on the hardwicke as asst steward april-may 1970 we called in at rotterdam on the return journey. speaking of captains on the return journey i was serving in the dining room and one of the passengers asked me to close the curtains on the porthole as the sun was shining in his eyes, they were stuck open and i nearly pulled the whole lot off the bulkhead trying to close them, the captain stood up and said "oh just leave the bloody things steward i'll go up to the bridge and turn the ship round."

aristotle13
14th February 2006, 22:33

Hi Norsea - I sailed on the Hardwicke Grange on my first sea trip as 2nd Radio Officer from May 1963 until November 1963 so I must have been there at the same time as you. It's a long time ago now and I can remember that there was a change of Mates and I can vaguely remember faces but mostly I remember the Gin & Orange parties in Ron Mills (1st R/O) cabin whilst in B.A.
That was in the days of Capt Faulkner and I was using the supernumary cabin on the port side opposite to the Chief Mate's cabin. A great ship and a wonderful induction into the Merchant Navy but what a stink in Dock Sud.
I'm from Scarborough and used to speak fairly broad Yorkshire and was only 18 at the time I recounted above.
Best Wishes - it's nice to come across an old shipmate.

norsea
16th February 2006, 11:52
Aristotle 13
You are 100% correct. ! joined the Hardwicke in July 63 and stayed untilJan 65. Rejoined Nov 68 to May 70. Remember Ron very well, always came on the bridge for cocoa around midnight. Think I have a foto of both of you in the Radio room.
Best regards
Norsea

trotterdotpom
17th February 2006, 12:02
Hi norsea, we must have sailed together, i did one trip on the hardwicke as asst steward april-may 1970 we called in at rotterdam on the return journey. speaking of captains on the return journey i was serving in the dining room and one of the passengers asked me to close the curtains on the porthole as the sun was shining in his eyes, they were stuck open and i nearly pulled the whole lot off the bulkhead trying to close them, the captain stood up and said "oh just leave the bloody things steward i'll go up to the bridge and turn the ship round."

What a great story and what great service!

John T.

leo hannan
21st February 2006, 14:18
I must of sailed with some of you on the Hardwicke Grange. I joined Feb 63(Captain Kent) we had to land him after he took ill down Tierra Del Fuego where we loaded lamb.Captain Faulkner took command the next trip, I was his tiger until he retired in Nov. 64 then the Chief Steward Paddy O'Reagan got rid of me under the pretence that I had been sleeping with the lady passengers. I got sent to the tankers after that as a so called punishment, I remember Roy Mills (RO) in fact I think he had more service on there than anyone.I stayed with Houlders until I took early retirement in 99. It was such a good company they even arranged & stood as guarantor for my first mortgage. I got off the Roston Grange in time, in fact my relief the 2nd Stwd.died on her.
Regards Leo

chadders
15th March 2006, 17:27
Another pic of the Hardwicke Grange with Shaw Savill funnel colours seen at Timaru N.Z.

Ship served as Cadet training ship for SSA. Photo courtesy Eric Smith.

I was 2nd Mate when she was a cadet training ship for SSA but the crew were all Houlders as were some of the cadets. TAG Head was the old man, very interesting times with 17 cadets.

douglasjamesmichael
15th March 2006, 21:04
Hi all from sunny Scotland - I had a most pleasurable evening - after a day down the Pit... Changing a Main Engine Cylinder liner - as a visitor to the Bar onboard the Hardwick Grange, while she was parked nexted to us at Enginero White berth Bahia Blanca, Argentina. March 1975.....
Do any of you old salts remember the motly Engineering Crew from the Glasgow Registered Reefer MV Loch Long, ex Pacific Ocean, as featured in this site.

I always remember with affection the "stick and wolf whistles.. given to your Deck Cadets - standing on the Bridge & Bridge Wing in "full Posing Gear" during the H.G.'s departure the following day during our smoko.....

All the Best
Doug

hercules
4th April 2006, 20:19
Hardwicke Grange was a very nice vessel, good accommodation, good food, and good crew with a good run, and plenty of time to get ashore in South America on the few trips I did. Steam turbine with large diesel generators for power, and she used a lot of auxiliary power as a fridge ship with all the refrigeration compressors running on the way home full of Argentinian Beef. Just about the Merchant Navy at its best.

non descript
6th April 2006, 07:31
A nice fresh photo has just been added by Derek Sands:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21500

Tonga

non descript
17th April 2006, 20:07
Busseya who joined the site today is asking if anyone remembers sailing with his father, a Chief Engineer on the Hardwicke Grange in the 70's and until it was sold in 78 ? His name was John Purvis.

I'm sure he would appreciate any comments.

Regards
Tonga

hercules
26th April 2006, 20:51
I sailed with John Purvis on the ss Hardwick Grange and also on the mv Westbury on the South America runs. I also seem to recall coasting around the UK with him between deep sea voyages, all around 1975-76ish. Always good for a laugh, pleasant voyages. (*))

macjack
27th April 2006, 08:00
Seeing all the postings on the well loved Hardwicke Grange,I dug out a photo taken 1950/1960's at Newhaven,East Sussex.
Regards To All,
Mac Jackson.

non descript
27th April 2006, 10:10
Mac,

Nice one and thank you. If you can, maybe you can also post it in the gallery so it can be seen by all.

Regards
Tonga

chris Head
27th October 2006, 07:46
Just to let you know that my father was the Master of this ship until it was sold to the Iberians, that was a very sad day. My father has just passed on but I know that he would have been a very proud man to have read your reply, thank you. He was renouned for being a hard taskmaster yet was very well respected by his crew, passengers and his shipping company.
I too travelled on the Harwicke many times sleeping in the pilots cabin!! poor pilot.
Thanks again
Chris Head

non descript
27th October 2006, 08:02
Chris

I am very sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure that “TAG” was a fine and courageous father to you, just as he had been as Ship’s Master to us. I had the honour of sailing with him on my first trip as an apprentice and his style and enthusiasm left an indelible mark, that the passage of time will not erase. Houlders selected their Masters with enormous care and your father deserved his promotion as well as the respect that he was held in by officers, crew and passengers.
Kind regards
Mark

duquesa
27th October 2006, 08:58
I too lost many fine shipmates & friends in that horrible collision. The remembrance service in London was something I shall always remember. Those old Houlder Masters, Faulkner, Lockheed, Kent etc., from the old Condesa, Baronesa,Duquesa, Rippingham Grange and Hornby Grange days, were among the finest examples of ship masters one could find. Happy days never to be forgotten. Paddy Reagan will not be forgotten either!!

chris Head
28th October 2006, 21:20
Paddy Reagan was a very great chief steward, he sailed with my father on many occaisions, they were a perfect foil for one another.
The loss of the Royston on the River Plate was a tragic event, one that shall never be forgotton. Dad recounted on this awfull event quite often with great remorse, and loss of many of his friends and colleagues .

duquesa
28th October 2006, 21:33
Hello Chris and please accept my condolences on the passing of your father. I sailed with him on the Langton Grange and held him in the very highest regard. . Many were the times he yelled at me for having my radio up too high (My cabin was right next to his bedroom) but having yelled, he sat down and had a chat. I can see him yet down in the hold at anchor off Tierra del Fuego, slinging carcasses around in order to speed things up so the ship could get away and avoid another day down there. He taught me a lot and I will always remember him.

jbo
31st July 2008, 20:48
Are you Dave Chadwick 2/0 on Hardwicke Grange on a run to Kiwi stopping at Wellington over Xmas/New Year 1976 (ish0

duquesa
31st July 2008, 21:39
jbo, I take it you were directing that query to "Chadders"?

jbo
2nd August 2008, 09:54
Yes I was

chadders
30th August 2008, 11:08
Yes I was

Hi Jbo, I'm Derek Chadburn but I was/am that 2/0 on the Hardwicke over Christmas 76/77.
Cheers

clonguish
24th January 2009, 21:34
I had the pleasure ( and it was a pleasure ) to sail on the Hardwike twice once as a cadet in 73 and later as a J/E in 75 Z berth was always a home from our trips to the Royston when we were studying up the road in Poplar, and again when I served on board the Hardwicke, our times in BA were legend and whos still got a Butterfly tray from Santos or a Coat from Casa Marios in Monte. John Purvis I recall as 2/E to the C/E Bomber Harris, Johns somewhat excentric personallity extend to his Al Cantor impressions at the drop of a head, another infamous engineer at the time was the "Grey Bager"
She was a lady and I thought this was the life till I was rudely awaken by haveing to actually work and not just leaveing it to the relief crew. Who can name the Bars on 25 de Mayo?

non descript
24th January 2009, 21:50
.... Who can name the Bars on 25 de Mayo?

Out of respect for Mrs Tonga, I have deleted these from my memory... well the passage of time has helped as well (Jester)
(Thumb)
Mark

Welsh Dragon
22nd March 2009, 22:05
I did two trips on the Hardwicke between Oct 75 and April 76 Eng/Cadet. On the second trip to Bahia Blanca whilst still at anchor I was taken ill and rushed ashore to Hospital. If it wasn’t for the 3rd Mates wife wish I could remember her name. I wouldn’t be here now.
The main hospital was full due to a flu epidemic so they stuck me in a hospital for the mentally ill (No Kidding) I couldn’t speak Spanish nor they English or Welsh, even though we were only down the road from Patagonia. Then a very attractive young lady her sister was a patient there came to my rescue. After 5 days I was ok to get up and about so I went on a few trips out with her. By now the ship was along side so a few of the boys came to pay me a visit. When they arrived at the Hospital with no sign of my sick and wasted body in the bed they were just about to leave then I turned up with the young lady on my arm. The stick I got from them for the next four weeks was worse than the illness. But I had some very fond memories. (Thumb) Of the ship I mean!

j miles
26th March 2009, 20:37
i sailed on the hardwick grange as j.o.seamen in early 1972,join at z berth in the old vic dock,does anyone remember fiddler the boson,also on furness bridge with d.r dixon and the faraday with mad tom wolcott

non descript
26th March 2009, 21:12
i sailed on the hardwick grange as j.o.seamen in early 1972,join at z berth in the old vic dock,does anyone remember fiddler the boson,also on furness bridge with d.r dixon and the faraday with mad tom wolcott

Firstly a warm welcome to you on the occasion of your first posting. Yes, I can agree with you that Tom Wolcott as a different sort of person, and some might well conclude that his extrovert behaviour was out of the usual… I too joined my first ship at Z Shed, I think the bus fare was 4d. (EEK)

tim frary
26th March 2009, 21:26
mr fiddler a name from the past he was boson when me and my twin sailed on the hardwick as deck boys in 1972 do any rememder an AB by the name of mr ben i think he came from york

mwebster56
26th March 2009, 22:02
Houlder Brother’s HARDWICKE GRANGE (61/10338) seen at her berth in the Victoria Dock, London on the 27th July 1969.

I query the 1961-1975 bit. We were tied up next to (and went aboard for a few jar on several occasions) the Hardwicke Grange in New Plymouth NZ mid 1976, probably August 1976.

ALAN TYLER
27th March 2009, 13:31
I suppose you might call it the pinnacle of my Houlders deep-sea (later on the Offshore side) career when i did one trip on the Hardwicke July/October 74. I relieved Vinny Sade Ch/Cook. Captain Capon was in command, nickname "Canape Kate", no offence meant. Paddy O,Regan was my boss. As memory serves me it was an enjoyable trip, though I did upset some members of the crew when I changed "Steak" day!!!

j miles
27th March 2009, 21:00
i seeem to remember the 2nd steward nick name of mauld ,an ab called tonto,also having the crap scared out off me in number 2 hatch 3 levels down while painting out scratch mark by torch ,another of mr fiddlers little tasks,still had the last laugh,2 days latter he came down the same hatch with me to seal up for fumigation,had to leave him there for 10 mins,came back to find him hiding in the fridge inspection door white as a sheet .seems like what ever got me going got him too.

tim frary
27th March 2009, 22:53
tonto was there the same time me and my bro tom was on the hardwick also a steward who had a parrot by the name of sh-t bag he would let it fly off the ship when at sea and it all ways came back it even had its own passport

j miles
28th March 2009, 19:49
nice to get a reply ,i can remember that parrot had a habit of attacking anyone he got the hump with,still happy days then.c'ant remember the crew that well just a few names,only did the one trip,company then moved me over to tankers,must have been something to do with always going adrift,went on to the furnace bridge .what a heap???

crabpot
14th April 2009, 14:17
Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.

chadders
20th April 2009, 16:52
Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.

Crabpot, if you were 2nd Lecky to Maurice Patterson you must be Mr. Kennedy I'm sorry you're first naem escapes me and my little book!! I was indeed the 2nd Mate on that trip.

chris Head
4th April 2010, 18:02
Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood who travelled with my Late father Tom Head, Peter was Chief Steward approx 1969 . My Mother would dearly like to make contact with him and his wife, last known place they lived in was in Alicante. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Head

tonymorcom
1st October 2010, 19:41
Only found this site today and what a joy its been reading all the posts and having my memories jogged by mentions of many ships i sailed in. I joined as deck cadet in Sept 1973 about the famous Hardwicke Grange with Capt "Tag" Head and spent the next 6 months going from boy to man on the BA, Monte, Santos, London route. Santos at 16 was an experience I shall probably never forget. Over the following 7 years I experienced amongst others Cumbria, Orotava, Joule, Clerk Maxwell, Lynton Grange, Upwey Grange plus many others whose names elude me at this moment. I still have all my deck cadet books and journals so must drag them out for for a few hours welcome nostalgia. Leaving the merchant navy in 1980 as 2nd mate is my biggest ever regret, other than getting married the 1st time which is why I left in the first place.

sam reed
6th September 2011, 22:03
I sailed as a chippy,for 7 trips to South America,I also have several butterfly items,I was on the Hardwicke when we lost a steward who drowned in Le Havre, when we got to LONDON we were late paying off because we had to tell them what happened, I was one of the 2 crew members who went into try to save him, he was called Norman,can any one else remember this.

Jon Vincent
7th September 2011, 03:15
Hi Chris. Met your Dad when a lowley 3/0 on the "Royston Grange" laid up in Falmouth during the meat ban, sorry to report but a post in "Houlders Ships and Crews" page #28 by James Crosbie says that Peter died several years ago. rgds Jon

Jimmy nicol
28th February 2012, 13:25
Hardwicke Grange was a very nice vessel, good accommodation, good food, and good crew with a good run, and plenty of time to get ashore in South America on the few trips I did. Steam turbine with large diesel generators for power, and she used a lot of auxiliary power as a fridge ship with all the refrigeration compressors running on the way home full of Argentinian Beef. Just about the Merchant Navy at its best.
Sailed on HArdwick as jun/5 eng 1963/65 Fred chapstick. Was 3eng
Happy days!jimmy nicol

homeboat
7th March 2012, 03:18
Joined Hardwicke Grange in London as E.D>H. on maiden voyage. Capt. Kent in command. Top crew nearly all Geordies. Chuck Fairweather was the Bosun. Sailed with " Logger" Head on Hornby Grange.

davmel
11th April 2012, 10:38
I had the pleasure ( and it was a pleasure ) to sail on the Hardwike twice once as a cadet in 73 and later as a J/E in 75 Z berth was always a home from our trips to the Royston when we were studying up the road in Poplar, and again when I served on board the Hardwicke, our times in BA were legend and whos still got a Butterfly tray from Santos or a Coat from Casa Marios in Monte. John Purvis I recall as 2/E to the C/E Bomber Harris, Johns somewhat excentric personallity extend to his Al Cantor impressions at the drop of a head, another infamous engineer at the time was the "Grey Bager"
She was a lady and I thought this was the life till I was rudely awaken by haveing to actually work and not just leaveing it to the relief crew. Who can name the Bars on 25 de Mayo?

texas bar, new texas bar, cloe together, great memories

davmel
11th April 2012, 10:46
hi , we probably sailed together as iwas on the hardwick in the early 70, s. 6th march to23 april and3 may to 27 june

davmel
11th April 2012, 10:54
hi , i remember aud and tonto, maud was a bit of a nine bob note but harmless and great fun to go ashore with and tonto was the one who used cooking oil to get a better tan , he was always brown as a walnut

sam reed
9th May 2013, 11:25
Sailed as Chippy on Hardwicke Grange 1961-1963.Peter Hector was Chief Mate and the boswain at that time was Jim Irwin hope I have spelt his name proper also sailed as Chippy on the Duquesa and the Oredian had a great time with Houlder Brothers ,had some great times looking back Sam Reed Chippy from Plymouth also friends with Creg Rich Chief Mate Duquesa

Spannerman52
12th August 2014, 22:58
I did my first trip as galley boy/asst cook in 1968 on the HARDWICKE grange I remember the cook was an Irishman named Jim Gordon Ramsay is an amateur by comparison. His previous job was in a London hotel completely mad but a great chef. I think the Chief steward was Irish too little fat guy. A beautiful vessel privileged to have sailed on her.

norsea
15th August 2014, 13:21
Spannerman52, I think the "little fat guy" was probably Patrick O'Regan, Catering Officer on the Hardwicke. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending Paddy's wedding in Cork Cathedral over 30 years ago. Happy Days. Regards, Angus Davidson

MWD
15th August 2014, 19:49
Just learnt that a friends father by the name of 'Steatham' was a Holders man in the 40's and 50's, employed on the Meat Boats. Presently unaware of what he did, but he was able to take his son on board frequently when alongside in London. Anyone remember him?

MWD.

Spannerman52
15th August 2014, 21:15
Spannerman52, I think the "little fat guy" was probably Patrick O'Regan, Catering Officer on the Hardwicke. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending Paddy's wedding in Cork Cathedral over 30 years ago. Happy Days. Regards, Angus Davidson
Thanks Norsea I do believe that was his name, I'm 62 now and 16 then how old would he be now and are you still in touch
Regards

Spannerman52
15th August 2014, 21:33

Angus were you on the HARDWICKE at that time? I remember just after we sailed the quartermaster had a heart attack and unfortunately passed away. We took his body to the Canary Islands but I was told his poor wife couldn't afford to have his body flown home so we had a service and buried him at sea quite an initiation for me on my first trip.

marinero
19th August 2014, 09:25
Just learnt that a friends father by the name of 'Steatham' was a Holders man in the 40's and 50's, employed on the Meat Boats. Presently unaware of what he did, but he was able to take his son on board frequently when alongside in London. Anyone remember him?

MWD.

I think the guy was "Ted Steatham" who was the Chief Electrician when I was aboard with Angus(Norsea) who was 2nd or 3rd Officer at the time. He went on to become Electrical Supt. for the Company. A very nice chap he was too.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

norsea
21st August 2014, 20:46
Spannerman52, Sorry,I can't recall being on board when a QM passed away.My time as 2/O wasJan.63 to Jan.65 and Nov.68 to Nov.70 Marinero, Ted Steatham was quite a character. After promotion to Superintendents Dept. he always made a beeline for my cabin for a swift ale on our arrival at Z Shed. Regards Angus D.

marinero
22nd August 2014, 09:45
Spannerman52, Sorry,I can't recall being on board when a QM passed away.My time as 2/O wasJan.63 to Jan.65 and Nov.68 to Nov.70 Marinero, Ted Steatham was quite a character. After promotion to Superintendents Dept. he always made a beeline for my cabin for a swift ale on our arrival at Z Shed. Regards Angus D.
Morning Angus.
Was Peter Hector the Chief Officer when we were on the "Hardwicke" I sailed with him as Master on the "Bideford Priory" I spent 2 happy years on the "Hardwicke".

Regards

Leo(Thumb)

MWD
22nd August 2014, 19:57
I think the guy was "Ted Steatham" who was the Chief Electrician when I was aboard with Angus(Norsea) who was 2nd or 3rd Officer at the time. He went on to become Electrical Supt. for the Company. A very nice chap he was too.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

Thanks Marinero, I shall pass this on to my friend. He may like to have a look at the site. He did not go to sea, so missed out on the fellowship and excitement.

MWD.

Anthony Paul Richardson
10th October 2014, 16:41
Hi there,
Do you remember if this person that die was name Donald Hugh Richardson? He would be my father and I was 11 years old at the time.

marinero
17th October 2014, 13:47
Hi there,
Do you remember if this person that die was name Donald Hugh Richardson? He would be my father and I was 11 years old at the time.

Sorry Anthony. I don't remember the incident but I am sure someone on here will.

Regards (Thumb)

norsea
19th October 2014, 15:53
During my time in the Hardwicke the Masters were Roy Faulkner and T.A.G.Head. One of the First Mates was John McLintock who later went to live in B.A. Chief Officer Stan Edgington later took a Superintendent's post in the B.A.Office. After 49 years afraid I can't remember any of the other Officers I sailed with. Regards, Angus D.