RFA Sir Galahad

R58484956
25th June 2006, 15:19
Sir Galahad has now finished her service career and will make her final voyage Soton (Marchwood) to Pompey dockyard on the 20th July 06.

STRAWBERRY
25th June 2006, 19:56
I think the MOD are foolish letting this one go, She is not that old, all mod cons...and at present...the only ampibian that is small enough to get to the nooks and crannys...I can't see any of the Bay class getting up the fjord to tiny jetties in Norway as we did on the sir class. Also, the bay class cannot beach!! Something to think about?

King Ratt
26th June 2006, 15:09
When the RFA acquired the Galahad in 1970 an RFA Master was eventually appointed a few months later. "Captain Gentleman Jim Foster" beached the ship several times at Pulau Tioman in the South China Sea. The stern anchors were used to ease her back afloat again when the tide had returned. Great interest was shown from the Malaysian inhabitants of that beautiful island and the local children came and played football with us. Eventually the practice of beaching the LSLs was stopped apart from a "one-off" exercise usually prior to a major refit.

wigger
28th June 2006, 11:33
Is the RFA Sir Bedivere still in service? If so when Sir Galahad pays off she must be the last LSL left. They must have spent a fair old wad of money on her in the 90's because her appearance changed dramatically after her refit.

Lancastrian
28th June 2006, 16:00
It isnt quite true to say that they only beached prior to refit or always had tugs.
In 1987 Percivale beached with a full load in Loch Ryan during Ex Purple Warrior.
Even so I agree it's no longer a practical option.
I have a super photo of "Percy on the Pebbles" but I cant post it due to copyright rules. Shame!

rushie
28th June 2006, 16:40
Every naval ship is under scrutiny as to how many 000's it shows on the balance sheet of the Ministry of Defence, an outdated, antiquated Gov quango that prefers to spend money on new "nice" offices with fish tanks (no depth charges in them - can't afford them), some tropical plants to make the offices look tranquil and so no-one will invade, very soft carpets to entertain the foreign Generals every time we surrender, stuffing the finance dept full of beancounters, team bonding sessions (Paintball for the whole Army...as we can't budget for live ammo), ill-advising ignoramous MP's who like tropical fish and soft carpets and are happy that we won the Paintball, selling the naval base repair facilities to dubious debt ridden companies who know the taxpayer will eventually have to cough up to bail them out and enjoying the canapes on offer at the buffet when courting the Chilean Naval Attache to buy another frigate that's at least 5 years old....or hasn't been finished yet and is well surplus to defending the UK..."MoD Sale"...Buy 1....Get 3 Free"....

Let's face it...soon we'll be leasing the ex RN protection we enjoyed off some private concern that will be sub-leasing our ex vessels from Chile, India and Pakistan to do so....meanwhile the Argies will march on the Falklands knowing that we haven't a cat in hells chance of sending anything more than the ex Norway (borrowed from our Indian mates) and buy the French carrier the Clemanceau at a car boot sale in Dover, beaching them in Port Stanley and hoping the Argies succumb to toxic waste fumes overnight...

There are some 25 years on celebrations being muted for the Falklands War next year....what a superb piece of PA timing for the Argies to move back in....

Grrrr.... (EEK) (Ouch) [=P] (POP)

STRAWBERRY
29th June 2006, 19:20
Is the RFA Sir Bedivere still in service? If so when Sir Galahad pays off she must be the last LSL left. They must have spent a fair old wad of money on her in the 90's because her appearance changed dramatically after her refit.

Wigger, Sir Galahad, was built from New!

STRAWBERRY
29th June 2006, 19:23
It isnt quite true to say that they only beached prior to refit or always had tugs.
In 1987 Percivale beached with a full load in Loch Ryan during Ex Purple Warrior.
Even so I agree it's no longer a practical option.
I have a super photo of "Percy on the Pebbles" but I cant post it due to copyright rules. Shame!

I was on the Sir Bedivere during Purple warrior, Plenty of Overtime as we hadn't gone consolodated until a year later, In a week I only had about 24 hrs sleep!

wigger
29th June 2006, 19:52
Yeah, I know Sir Galahad was a new build. Not quite as nice in appearance as the original, too square. What has happened to a couple of the other in the class? Sir Bedivere, Tristram and Lancelot I know of, but what happened to Sir Percival and Sir Geraint. I remember seeing Sir Lancelot in Weymouth as Lowland Lancer, we had moved from Weymouth by that time but on a visit once, I'm sure I heard they had some hairy moments getting her in and out, she was the largest ship to enter Weymouth at that time, probably still is.:)

Lancastrian
30th June 2006, 08:45
Lancelot is still going strong in Singapore as Glenn Braveheart.
Tristram is awaiting diposal.
Percivale was offered for sale on the internet.
Geraint was scrapped in Pakistan.
See www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMlsl.htm and www.rfaaplymouth.org/GGMline.htm

Rory Bhoy
16th September 2006, 11:33
Some pics of taken her in the Solent when I was on the Mounts Bay.