Upwey Grange

david smith
16th September 2004, 16:53
The Upwey Grange not under command, awaiting orders, Indian Ocean. Built 1976 15,903gt

tanker
16th September 2004, 17:07
This is a B-26 sisterships CAIRNSMORE-LYNTON GRANGE-LEON -and RIGHTEUS
A/P built i think was broken up as RANGER in 1995

non descript
21st November 2005, 10:21
Interesting ships and I use the word in a diplomatic way... Not the finest example of Brtish Shipbuilding at its best. I had the dubious honour of fixing Upwey Grange on her maiden voyage. The only thing I remember clearly was that she was not an EXACT sister to the Lynton Grange, in as much as one safely navigated under a bridge in the St Lawrence, but a month or so later, the same Master took the "exact" sister ship under the same bridge on the same draft and wow.... no radar scanner after the event! An easy mistake to make.

saltyswamp
26th June 2007, 21:48
Hi sailed on Upwey April 77 to Sept 77 not the most sophisticated of ships but worked well whilst i was there
stuart
(Pint) (Pint)

ChrisCampbell
23rd December 2007, 08:47
Great ship had some fantastic times on her - In the great lakes and also down the east coast of South America We must have been on board at the same time Stuart Joined Varna 15.7.77 left in New Orleans 2.2.78 I was that mad 4th Eng

ChrisCampbell
23rd December 2007, 10:34
Built In Sunderland In 1976 For The Alexander Shipping Co.in 1982 She Was Re-named Lilly Village, Japanese Owned But Registered In Singapore. She Was Sold To A Panamanian Company And Re-named Puggi In 1987. In 1990 She Was Sold To A Cypriot Company And Re-named Natalia. The Following Year She Was Sold To Another Cypriot Company And Re-named Ranger And Finally Sold To A Panamanian Company And Re-named Orgullo,she Was Still In Service Up Until A Couple Of Years Ago.

NB. This thumbnail picture is a photogragh by David Smith when he was on the Zealandic at the time as 3/O and he took the picture when passing the Upwey Grange in the St Lawrence Seaway.

non descript
23rd December 2007, 10:56
Thanks for that Chris, and a very nice picture you have added. When she was contracted she was actually given the name Aylesbury (to fit in with her being laid down as part of the Alexander Shipping side of Houlders, but by the time she was christened she had moved on to be Upwey Grange and a name in keeping with the Houlders side of things.
She remained in the fleet until 1982 when she and her sister Lynton Grange were sold as an en-bloc deal in the dark days for the company; the latter becoming Northern Cherry.

ChrisCampbell
23rd December 2007, 11:34
Thanks for the update Tonga
Regards Chris

saltyswamp
5th January 2008, 21:03
Great ship had some fantastic times on her - In the great lakes and also down the east coast of South America We must have been on board at the same time Stuart Joined Varna 15.7.77 left in New Orleans 2.2.78 I was that mad 4th Eng

I joined Limassol 4/77 left 9/77 in Alexandria with Capt Hutch and sue smith deck gadget
stuart

kdgiles
25th January 2008, 16:18
Hey Chris,
Dates don't seem to tie up but I am fairly sure I worked with you. I was on the Upwey, late 79 I think, sailing Casablanca - Duluth - somewhere in Europe - Superior - Rotterdam. I remember a mad 4th name of Chris who, I think had a Wartburg. Was your 3rd Paul something? I think the Chief may have been Ellis Mason.

I was the engineer cadet hung up on Doris the desk cadet, think her real name was Karen Williams.

Cheers, Kevin Giles

saltyswamp
26th January 2008, 21:03
Ellis Mason a poisoned Dwarf?

Corky
16th March 2008, 16:46
The Upwey Grange not under command, awaiting orders, Indian Ocean. Built 1976 15,903gt

Stopped in the Bay of Bengal - we had just left Chittagong, and were told by HO to stop for the weekend and await orders. We were swimming in the sea, a thousand miles from the nearest landfall.
We had a sweepstake on where to next load port would be, entry was a case of beer, and the closest guess was to get the beer. I guessed Durban, and we actually ended up at East London. I was the only one to suggest S.Africa, and so claimed my prize (I think about 12 cases of Ale) Being the R/O, no-one would believe I did not have "inside" information, and refused to pay up! I paid off at East London, so could not have claimed my prize anyway.
On arrival East London, the authorities said that the ship was infested with vermin, and the entire ships crew had to be put up in a hotel,the authorities insisted all generators to be turned off - often wondered if everything started up again ok!

Only time I saw everyone ashore at the same time..

Corky

non descript
16th March 2008, 21:39
On arrival East London, the authorities said that the ship was infested with vermin, Only time I saw everyone ashore at the same time..

Corky

It is amazing the coincidence that occur in commerce and when the cargo is not ready and the otherwise "ready in all respects ship" has to wait, the number of times this coincides that the “authorities” discovering a B A rat so that time does not count, is almost unbelievable; but it is of course entirely correct and merely a freak of timing, and to suggest otherwise would be a dreadful mistake and wholly without foundation..

ps. I am sorry you had to wait, we clearly messed up the market and got it wrong. (Thumb)

david smith
16th March 2008, 22:05
Not Vermin, but insects - common to have the ship fumigated before loading grain. We had to do the same in Adelaide later the next voyage, but the crew remained on board. The following trip from Adelaide and Port Lincoln was very intersting with a salvage of a greek ship Aris.

cliff self
28th March 2008, 22:55
I was there! Serving as Catering "Boy" at the time, i had a good time in "East London" whilst the ship was fumigated! I also remember swimming in the "Bay of Bengal" 1000 miles from land. I swam around to the stern and climbed upon the rudder, a little daunting staring at that propeller!
I was there to witness the "Aris" Escapade to. I have several photo's of the burning "Aris" if anyone would like me to post them up?
My six months on the "Upwey "was the best trip i had, joined in "Chittagong", followed on to East London, Hong Kong ,Taiwan, (Brilliant) Australia, Trip to Pyramid's at Giza, The mighty USSR, (From which i got banned for failing to return before midnight curfew(A) I fell in a pot hole!)
And finally ended up at Sicily, we stayed in a hotel under a smoking mount "Etna".

marinero
29th March 2008, 11:19
Hi Cliff.
Unable to send you an e-mail as you have disabled that facility. I think there is an "Uncle John" reunion in June if you're interested, at Newcastle Airport. Send me an message with your e-mail address so I can get in touch. Am now in contact with Jonesy and Chedder now, and even Alan Tyler.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

non descript
12th April 2008, 23:54
David, thank you for telling us the backround to your picture at #6 - I have edited that posting to reflect your news and proper ownership of the picture.
(Thumb)

ChrisCampbell
19th April 2008, 10:15
[QUOTE=kdgiles;181405]Hey Chris,
Dates don't seem to tie up but I am fairly sure I worked with you. I was on the Upwey, late 79 I think, sailing Casablanca - Duluth - somewhere in Europe - Superior - Rotterdam. I remember a mad 4th name of Chris who, I think had a Wartburg. Was your 3rd Paul something? I think the Chief may have been Ellis Mason.

I was the engineer cadet hung up on Doris the desk cadet, think her real name was Karen Williams.

Cheers, Kevin Giles[/QUOTE

Hi Kev
I am that Mad 4th - seem to remember you made me a sound to light box that we rigged up to the bar stereo using cargo light clusters
Anyone else remember
Regards Chris

Ian MacD
10th May 2008, 15:10
Interesting ships and I use the word in a diplomatic way... Not the finest example of Brtish Shipbuilding at its best. I had the dubious honour of fixing Upwey Grange on her maiden voyage. The only thing I remember clearly was that she was not an EXACT sister to the Lynton Grange, in as much as one safely navigated under a bridge in the St Lawrence, but a month or so later, the same Master took the "exact" sister ship under the same bridge on the same draft and wow.... no radar scanner after the event! An easy mistake to make.

Hello Tonga,
This is an old thread but here goes anyway. I stood by Upwey Grange whilst she was building at A&P - we lived in the Merchant Navy Hotel in South Shields, oh happy days - and sailed as mate on her maiden voyage to Porto Alegre for grain to Rostock. Mulligan was the master but darned if I can remember the chief. She was my last Houlders ship.
Regards
Ian

non descript
10th May 2008, 19:37
Ian,
The charter (dated 30-07-76) was with Tradax, as they were called then, for 22,000 long tons 5pct HSS, 1-2 Safe ports Puerto Alegre-Santos range to Corunna and Seville. Freight usd13.50 pmt with 25 cents extra for a 2nd loadport – Laycan 16/25 August 1976.

Whilst I am wholly confident that the fine body of men who stood by her building did their duty and more, my (slightly caustic) comments were reserved for the fairly mundane design and no slur on the work force was intended.

Her second voyage was USNH/Seaforth and/or Avonmouth for Oregon Steamships (Steve Woodward will have a tear in his eye at the mention of the correct name, and not Conti Grain) for 22 September/5 October 1976 – where the port went on strike just prior to the ship’s arrival….

I remember Captain Mulligan as a fine man.
(Thumb)
Mark

Ian MacD
11th May 2008, 16:29
Ian,
The charter (dated 30-07-76) was with Tradax, as they were called then, for 22,000 long tons 5pct HSS, 1-2 Safe ports Puerto Alegre-Santos range to Corunna and Seville. Freight usd13.50 pmt with 25 cents extra for a 2nd loadport – Laycan 16/25 August 1976.

Whilst I am wholly confident that the fine body of men who stood by her building did their duty and more, my (slightly caustic) comments were reserved for the fairly mundane design and no slur on the work force was intended.

Her second voyage was USNH/Seaforth and/or Avonmouth for Oregon Steamships (Steve Woodward will have a tear in his eye at the mention of the correct name, and not Conti Grain) for 22 September/5 October 1976 – where the port went on strike just prior to the ship’s arrival….

I remember Captain Mulligan as a fine man.
(Thumb)
Mark

Mark,
You are absolutely right we did go to La Corunna, in fact I paid off there, but we also went to Rostock because I remember Harry Donker coming aboard in the Kiel Canal and remember Rostock quite vividly so I am a trifle confused as to the sequence of events, which is nothing new at this stage of my life.
Your comments on the new building were not taken out of context, you were right again for whereas I 'loved' the Oswestry Grange I could never have loved the Upwey Grange, she was utilitarian at best.
Captain Mulligan must have passed on by now, he was nearing the end of his seafaring life all those years ago.
Brgds
Ian(Thumb)

Tom D
23rd June 2008, 23:04
Hello Dave,

I'm contacting you on the off chance you've worked on the Pride of Bilbao as it's a ship I'm very interested in. There is a Dave Smith who worked on it but the chances are it's not you! But thought it was worth a try! Let me know. Thanks,
Tom

Stretch
18th July 2008, 19:56
I joined the Upwey in Chittagong as third mate. I had two birds in my cabin, both yellow, that a homegoing steward had tried to pay off with. They were returned by BA.
My previous trip had been the Dart Atlantic. I was told that as third mate I should have a uniform, a compete one. So I got one and found when the Old Man appeared on the bridge to leave, he was wearing a sarong and a coolie hat.
We sailed from there and drifted waiting for orders. I have more photos....
Later that same trip, New Years Eve. Dave Smith rang the bell, I altered course around the south western corner of Aussie and - I can´t remember this captain´s name either - the captain came to the bridge and invited me to his cabin. Drinks with the captain it wasn´t. At 00:16 he told me I was redundant.
I stayed on though. Liked Adelaide. Thought the Aris salvage was an interesting fiasco (thanks for the worry beads). Whoever the chief engineer was had suggested that the captain salvage the ship. I´d volenteered. He looked at me, looked at the Aris and said ´go and put tht fire out´. Luckily the mate was Miles Roderick Eden Smith. He did a good job. I played in the lifeboat, delivering people.
I´ve quite a few pictures of that incident too.
We then went to Batumi I think. Then New Orleans to pay off. A very good trip. Who remembers the wine club that we had.

non descript
18th July 2008, 20:45
Stretch, welcome to the site and enjoy your time with us. We look forward to your postings. (Thumb)

tonymorcom
2nd October 2010, 18:14
I was 2nd mate on the Upwey. Joined 3.12.78 in Hamburg and paid off 4.4.79 in Port Elizabeth to fly home and get married the first time!
Also did 5 months as 3rd mate on Lynton early in 1978. Happy days.

Whilst on the Upwey we spent time in Dubaii with the royal yacht britannia and we also had the dubious pleasure of being the last foriegn ship to leave Basra at the beginning of the Gulf War!!!

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=50914

tonymorcom
4th October 2010, 00:39
Have just upload some new photos http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/50914/username/tonymorcom