Cuauhtemoc

Jan Hendrik
5th July 2006, 02:26
Buque Escuala.
Mexican training ship, the pictures here are from Station Pier Melbourne June 2006, one of the many stops on a world wide tour.
displacement 1800 tons , 90 x 12 x 5.4 metres.
17 knots at sail, 9 at engine sails 2368 sq m.
Brick-bare rigging with 3 masts and 23 sails, 10 main mast block and foresail sails and 13 fore and aft sails.

Built Celaya Shipyard, Bilbao delivered to the Mexican Navy 29th July 1982.
The vessel is kept in excellent condition and has a crew of 265 .

Also reference is made to some spectacular photos in the Gallery by Loftybaker
(search under Quauhtemoc - with "Q"). The name is confusing though although not for the Mexicans I would say.

Jan

benjidog
5th July 2006, 06:28
Hi Jan,

I have been reading about problems with the wooden sailing ships of the past going into the tropical areas and getting eaten by worms and slowly falling to pieces. I believe that this was held at bay in later days by cladding with copper and then anti-fouling treatment of various kinds.

Do you know if this still a problem that has to be tackled or do they simply keep away from the areas where this happens? Otherwise I would think the maintenance of a ship like this would be a major exercise requiring rare skills to maintain.

Regards,

Brian

Jan Hendrik
5th July 2006, 10:49
Brian,
This particular ship is all steel and even the masts are made of steel, all welded, so no problems here.

Then indeed you are right, in the old days the timber started rotting away especially the areas above the waterline and quite often the timber which was continiously below water level or on the seabed conserved a lot longer.
E.g. refer to the planks of the Batavia of 1628 now partly preserved in Fremantle and the WASA in Sweden.

Today's replicas are all well treated with a number of coats of paints and Antifouling and that problem is solved.
Copper sheating is no longer used of course, it was the era prior to Antifouling technology.
I have seen some vessels which still had copper sheating and the timber underneath was also given way to rot, those vessels were built mid to late 1800 and beginning 1900's.
There may be some members who studied in this direction and who could tell us more about this.
Jan

Chris Wood
24th July 2006, 10:31
Cuauhtemoc arrived in Auckland today (24/7/06), she looked pretty good coming up the Waitemata Harbour in the morning sunshine. there were about 70 crew up the mast spread out along the crosstrees. She only has about 1000 hp. engines so we put two tugs on her for berthing,
Chris Wood

Freo
24th July 2006, 14:59
Saw her sail into Fremantle last month, all her yard arms manned and dressed overall, what a lovely sight.

Neil

Keltic Star
25th July 2006, 08:41
The tropical water pest is Toredo worms, as noted modern antifouling prevents the infestation as long as you don't hit bottom and expose the naked wood to the sea. Below waterline rot in wooden vessels is caused by fresh water accumulation from the inside, usually caused by condensation. it is good practice to spread rock salt in the bilges to convert the fresh water into seawater to minimize the risk of dry rot.
Don't ask why they call it dry rot because the wood is well saturated when it has dry rot.

Caesar001
1st May 2007, 21:02
She was in Miami last week, not sure what she was there for, or how long she will be staying.

Steve Hodges
16th June 2007, 00:05
Saw "Cuauhtemoc" leaving the Thames Estuary on Sunday 10th June, (unfortunately not under sail as there was virtually no wind), from the Thames sailing barge "Repertor" which we were taking back to Faversham after the Blackwater barge match. She was too far off to read her name, and her ensign caused a great deal of discussion. None of us recognised it, and I only traced who she was later! Can anyone tell me where she had been?

Steve

sparkie2182
16th June 2007, 00:31
great thread..............some fine pics

stein
17th June 2007, 08:31
An odd looking modernized square rigged school ship. She's got standing yards, permanently positioned at their height when the sails are set. (The hoisting yards on real sailers was to reduce weight and windage aloft when the sails were furled).
She's also been given enormous stay-sails in deference to the fact that this is a motor-ship, mostly underway by help of propellers; staysails when carried alone then a less a much less troublesome addition to the 1124 horsepowers of the Caterpillar diesel than square sails would be. (This is not as twice stated above a very weak engine for a ship of this size and build. The Sørlandet has 564 hp, the Christian Radich 650, the Georg Stage only 200. These are smaller ships, but the Statsraad Lehmkuhl has the same length and excactly the same diesel-power, and believe me: the windage aloft doesnt bother her much, even in a head gale). The next stage would be to have the square sails roll up into the yards by help of winches controlled from the deck, as on the sail carrying cruise-ship "Royal Clipper". But somehow the climbing in the masts have become part of the sail parading in ports which these ships are built for...
She's got a large forecastle and an even larger quarterdeck, making what's between resemble a "tonnage opening".
(The "modernizing" that started at the Lenin-yard in in Poland and spread to the Astace yard in Bilbao where this ship was built, have gotten a counteraction in Holland, where two recent ships, the "Stad Amsterdam" built for owners in holland and the "Cisne Branco" for the Brazilian navy, have been given a more traditional sailing ship rigs and deck layout than anything built since WWI). Regards, Stein.